6.3

Oakbrook
1919 Midwest Road
Oakbrook, IL 60523
630 916 8630

The monitoring appointments [at Inst. for Human Repro] are conveniently set in the early morning so it's easy to make before work. They don't do weekend monitoring but I didn't find that to be an issue. I had no problems with billing with IHR working with Progyny, our coverage provider. ... It'd be great to have an assigned nurse and a very close relationship to that nurse but IHR's setup is set up more for efficiency and that you'll round-robin between different nurses at monitoring appointments. The surgical procedures were done at the surgical center at 900 N. Michigan and the facilities were top-notch there.
How was your experience with David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
I feel very confident in Dr. Cohen and the staff at IHR -- not that they'll guarantee us a baby but that they're trying their darnedest to help us achieve that goal and care about my husband and I as patients. Dr. Cohen has the right blend, in my opinion, of frank and honest guidance that is still warm and compassionate. He also kept us well-informed in multiple consultations of the procedures that lay ahead and what options were available. The process felt orderly and methodical but Dr. Cohen factored in our opinions and what was important for us. He adjusted our protocol after our first egg retrieval yielded no viable embryos and our 2nd round yielded better results. He let us know of the pros/cons of adding HGH to our protocol, balancing the possible added value with the out-of-pocket costs. We went through a hysteroscopy to get my uterus into the best possible shape for transfer. We could have done a costly ERA test at the start of our transfers but as Dr. Cohen explained the various scenarios with ERA tests (conclusive, inconclusive), we felt we could make a calculated risk to hold off the ERA until our 2nd transfer, knowing that we'd be happy with one child at the end of all of this. None of the IVF process is easy but we feel we have a valued partner in all of this with Dr. Cohen & IHR.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
Don't be afraid to ask questions. Dr. Cohen does a great job of explaining things (diagrams and all!) and doesn't hold back on information but being your own advocate and putting forth the questions you need answers to, just benefits you, the patient.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
While we're still in the midst of our fertility journey, I feel like Dr. Cohen has always treated us with a warm, personal manner and we couldn't have asked for a better doctor to guide us through all of this. We've experienced devastating loss before starting IVF and explaining my history to Dr. Cohen, I felt he really sympathized. We've had a number of consultations with him every step of the way -- after our first retrieval; after our first failed FET; after our ERA test. He's always taken the time to explain the process and what our options are, always in the context of "If you were my sister, here's what I'd recommend". He doesn't always tell us what we hear but that's OK -- I'd rather he be realistic with me than to sugar-coat the problem. It's a fine line to be both straight-forward but warm and empathetic and I think Dr. Cohen does a great job of this.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Institute for Human Reproduction.
I'm not entirely sure if the nursing staff that does the morning monitoring is the same staff that gives me my afternoon results and answers my questions over email. But all in all, they are total professionals and are friendly. It'd be great to have an assigned nurse and a very close relationship to that nurse but IHR's setup is set up more for efficiency and that you'll round-robin between different nurses at monitoring appointments. I did have to remind them of each stage of my IVF process but that's to be expected when you don't have a 1:1 nurse/patient assignment. The front desk staff are warm and cheerful.
Describe your experience with Institute for Human Reproduction.
The monitoring appointments are conveniently set in the early morning so it's easy to make before work. They don't do weekend monitoring but I didn't find that to be an issue. I had no problems with billing with IHR working with Progyny, our coverage provider. The surgical procedures were done at the surgical center at 900 N. Michigan and the facilities were top-notch there.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction.
$10-15K in additional medication (above our coverage limits), HGH out-of-pocket costs; ERA test out-of-pocket costs

2017 - 2019, Unknown Success
Dr. Cohen is intelligent and always came to our consultations or to the exam room knowing my case and exactly what we needed to do. That meant a lot to me to know he reviewed my file before he interacted with me. I never felt rushed and he allowed me to ask a million questions. Dr. Cohen has always been honest about the process, never over-promising, but offering hope...We haven't had luck with IUI, but we knew that was a possibility.
The clinic [Institute for Human Reproduction] sometimes seems really disorganized. There hasn't been a ton of consistency with how our cycles are handled (at what point they ask for the finances, etc.)...Because the clinic isn't open on weekends to do IUIs, we had to do an IUI on a Friday. I felt like my body wasn't ready, and I wasn't surprised that that cycle failed...As a patient, I don't really see the nurses. I interact with the front desk staff and the ultrasound techs, but the only time I speak to the nurses are when they call with my results (and it's not always the same nurse).
How was your experience with David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
Dr. Cohen is warm and personable. From the moment I first consulted with him, I knew that he is intelligent and kind. That's a great combination for this difficult journey.
Describe the protocols David Cohen used in your cycles at Institute for Human Reproduction and their degree of success.
During the first two IUIs, I used 2.5 mg of Letrozole and then triggered when the follicles were 19mm. During the first IUI, everything was textbook. The second IUI was more difficult. I wasn't responding as well, but we ended up going through with an IUI anyway. Because the clinic isn't open on weekends to do IUIs, we had to do an IUI on a Friday. I felt like my body wasn't ready, and I wasn't surprised that that cycle failed. After two failed IUIs, we sat down with Dr. Cohen. He suggested that I see another doctor about the cyst on my tube. Several months later, I had a laparoscopy and then came back to Dr. Cohen to try IUI #3. Upon my baseline ultrasound, they found a polyp. Once that was removed, we proceeded. This time I used 5 mg of letrozole. We haven't had luck with IUI, but we knew that was a possibility.
This is one area where I feel that IHR could improve. As a patient, I don't really see the nurses. I interact with the front desk staff and the ultrasound techs, but the only time I speak to the nurses are when they call with my results (and it's not always the same nurse). I do wish that I knew who I was speaking with. I also have had times when I've spoken to one nurse and was told to do one thing (stop taking a medication) and then was scolded by another nurse three days later for stopping the medication. That was frustrating. But overall, I know they're doing their job and looking out for me.
Describe your experience with Institute for Human Reproduction.
The clinic sometimes seems really disorganized. There hasn't been a ton of consistency with how our cycles are handled (at what point they ask for the finances, etc.). On the positive, we have extremely minimal insurance coverage (only consultations and beginning exams--nothing treatment-related) and the clinic is wonderful about working with us to make sure that we understand that breakdown of costs. They've gone out of their way to provide me with a pharmacy in Chicago that had meds much less expensive than my insurance's mail order pharmacy.
Each IUI was $1500 out-of-pocket. The meds ordered were around $700/cycle.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Human Reproduction?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Institute for Human Reproduction.
It was minor, but when I called for a refill of medication, one nurse told me not to worry about it and that they'd check bloodwork at my baseline. When the baseline results were relayed to me by a different nurse and my hormones were off, she asked if I had been taking it and scolded me when I told her I ran out. She did apologize when I explained that I had asked for a refill and been denied.

2018 - 2020, Successful
Dr. Cohen is excellent at what he does. During every meeting he was able to clearly describe procedures, risks, success %, etc. I don't think we left a meeting without a diagram to help further his explanations. Dr. Cohen's bed side manners are 100%. He's caring and gentle. He always made me feel comfortable and knowledgeable of what was happening while he was preforming a procedure.
I live in the western suburbs so I was also able to blood work and ultrasounds out of the Oakbrook office [of Institute for Human Reproduction] which was very convenient (on the days they were open). It was great to be able to do blood work before my work hours and have same day results...The clinic's strengths are making you feel like you are a person and not a number; from the front desk staff to Dr. Cohen. There is easy street parking near the Chicago office.
How was your experience with David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
I would tell any prospective patient of Dr. Cohen to feel comfortable and confident to ask as many questions as you need. Don't hesitate to tell him you don't understand or you need further explanation. Ultimately this is your body and your decision so you need to empower yourself.
Dr. Cohen always treated my husband and I with full professionalism while making us feel cared for and a priority. We never felt like a number with Dr. Cohen. For each Dr. appointment and/or meeting he was knowledgably of our case and always took time to ask how we were feeling, our thoughts/concerns, etc. After our (1) IUI and (2) IVFs he was always cheering for us and sending us home with well wishes.
I have unexplained infertility so Dr. Cohen and my husband and I discussed trying IUI before IVF. Then during IVF not PGT testing or ERA. Then when that didn't work we opted to pay out of pocket for both those tests. He didn't feel it was necessary to spend money where it might not be needed and we appreciated that. He tweak our treatments and medicine based on what was learned from previous attempts. We are now currently pregnant.
At IHR they use the nAble Health app. It was super useful to test the patient concierge team or clinical team. By doing so you'd receive a quick response during hours. After hours there is always an all call nurse available to call with questions.
Describe your experience with Institute for Human Reproduction.
The clinic's strengths are making you feel like you are a person and not a number; from the front desk staff to Dr. Cohen. There is easy street parking near the Chicago office. I live in the western suburbs so I was also able to blood work and ultrasounds out of the Oakbrook office which was very convenient (on the days they were open). It was great to be able to do blood work before my work hours and have same day results. Really the only weakness I can think of is when the Chicago office elevator was down there were a lot of stairs to walk up. But good exercise.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Institute for Human Reproduction.
In a typical non Covid year there were monitoring hours, I believe 6am-9:30am. First come first serve. They had the process down pat and I never had to wait very long to get through blood and then the ultrasound. With Covid they changed to set times and I was in and out in a flash.
We were fortunate that once we reached out max out of pocket insurance covered almost everything. It did not cover the ERA test, PGT testing, freezing and I believe one shot around $1k but I don't recall which one.
Chicago

Access to Dr. Cohen through messages and easily set up appointments. He even called me multiple times after hours to answer a few of my questions. He is very present during appointments....Dr. Cohen very clearly explained a few options and the success odds based on different treatment types. I appreciated his straightforward approach in telling us the reality of our situation. He graciously answered my 50+ questions during this appointment
[at Institute for Human Reproduction] Access to instructional videos for medications & a 24/7 phone number to call with questions - State of the art embryology lab, fertility technology, and testing....The staff, nurses, and ultrasound technicians treated me with such kindness, thoroughness, and efficient appointments...Morning monitoring appointments that didn’t interfere with work schedule. - Same-day test results through a portal + a phone call from clinical team and updated medication schedules by early afternoon....
How was your experience with David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
If you are reading this, it’s because your path to starting a family hasn’t been easy, and you are now assessing where to turn to next. I write this having recently “graduated” from the clinic and on to my regular OBGYN to manage my PREGNANCY! After 2.5+ years of a PCOS diagnosis, infertility, and multiple pregnancy losses, I was referred to IHR by a friend who works as an outpatient nurse with Dr. Cohen's patients. I never thought our situation would end up needing the IVF route to start our family. I tried every possible lifestyle change that could optimize both my and my husband's fertility. But when it came down to it, IVF was the best option for us to start our family. At our consultation, Dr. Cohen very clearly explained a few options and the success odds based on different treatment types. I appreciated his straightforward approach in telling us the reality of our situation. He graciously answered my 50+ questions during this appointment as I grilled him on everything my IVF Google research told me to. Very quickly I realized, I can trust Dr. Cohen to advise us on treatment options and manage my fertility journey. Here are a few things that IHR provided that significantly reduced the mental workload of going through IVF - Morning monitoring appointments that didn’t interfere with work schedule. The staff, nurses, and ultrasound technicians treated me with such kindness, thoroughness, and efficient appointments. - Same-day test results through a portal + a phone call from clinical team and updated medication schedules by early afternoon - Access to Dr. Cohen through messages and easily set up appointments - Access to instructional videos for medications & a 24/7 phone number to call with questions - State of the art embryology lab, fertility technology, and testing After 1 round of egg stimulation with ICSI and 1 transfer, I am now pregnant. While many women need multiple rounds of IVF, I feel that Dr. Cohen’s experience, real-time testing results, and day-by-day adjustments of medications led to this incredible outcome. I highly recommend Dr. Cohen and the IHR Practice.
Describe your experience with Institute for Human Reproduction.
- Morning monitoring appointments that didn’t interfere with work schedule. - Same-day test results through a portal + a phone call from clinical team and updated medication schedules by early afternoon - Access to Dr. Cohen through messages and easily set up appointments - Access to instructional videos for medications & a 24/7 phone number to call with questions - State of the art embryology lab, fertility technology, and testing
Describe David Cohen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Institute for Human Reproduction.
Initially, I had an interest in putting in 2 embryos. However, after Dr. Cohen educated me on the data, I agreed that eSet was the ideal way to go to achieve a healthy pregnancy.
2016 - 2019, Successful
After two failed attempts, he [Dr. David Cohen] counseled my husband and I to try a new test that might tell us why the transfers had failed. The test worked and on the fourth try we had success. We’re trying again for another baby and there isn’t anyone else I would trust to help us conceive than Dr. Cohen. He is truly the best at what he does!!... felt very strongly that having one baby was better than transferring two and ending up with multiples. Since we chose to screen the embryos he recommended only transferring one. We did decide to transfer two on the fourth attempt, but there was a miscommunication with the lab and only one was thawed. It turned out wonderful though because I got my beautiful little girl from that cycle.
I have had trouble with scripts not being ready when the nurse [at Institute for Human Reproduction] said they had been called in and the office was already closed...There are times I will show up and be called right back, and other times I will have to wait more than an hour to be called. It just depends on how busy the clinic is...offer us the option to do back to back cycles and test all the embryos up to a certain amount. It was much cheaper than doing two separate cycles with testing.
How was your experience with David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
My experience with Dr. Cohen was and continues to be top notch. I was a tricky case when trying to get pregnant with my daughter and had three failed transfers before finally getting pregnant. Each time, he would call me, give me encouragement, and help me get back into the game. After two failed attempts, he counseled my husband and I to try a new test that might tell us why the transfers had failed. The test worked and on the fourth try we had success. We’re trying again for another baby and there isn’t anyone else I would trust to help us conceive than Dr. Cohen. He is truly the best at what he does!!
While I have nothing but the best to say about Dr. Cohen and my time at IHR, it’s always best to be your own advocate and know what’s going on with your care.
Everyone from the front desk, to lab and ultrasound, to nursing staff, all take the time to make you feel as if you’re the only person in the practice. They know me by name when I call and always have something good to say. Dr. Cohen does an excellent job of explaining the process in layman’s terms to you. Throughout my time at IHR, I have never felt like it was too big or that I was just a number. It truly seems as if they’re your friends. When my nurse found out I was pregnant with my daughter, she was so excited to call and give me the news. I have always felt special here and wouldn’t consider going anywhere else.
I’m not sure of the particular protocol I did for my retrievals, nor the dosages, but I do recall being on Menopur, Follostim, and Ganirelix. I triggered with Lupron for all of the cycles. For my frozen transfers, it was estrogen pills and Crinone for the first two transfers, then patches and Crinone for the second two. My body did stop responding to the pills so we had to switch to the patches. For my positive cycle I was also supplemented with progesterone in oil due to spotting.
I had a wonderful experience with my previous coordinator, Joseline, who left the practice shortly after I got pregnant. This time around I have had some trouble with communication, but it is improving. Still, everyone I have dealt with is as nice and friendly as can be. For the most part, I think they prefer to communicate via email.
Describe your experience with Institute for Human Reproduction.
I really only have good things to say about the clinic and Dr. Cohen. The only thing I will say is that you should keep on top of your cycles here. Know what is going on and don’t be afraid to ask questions. Sometimes the communication isn’t very good but I do think they’re really working on this. If you’re looking for a compassionate, caring practice, this is the place for you!
For the most past the monitoring hours don’t bother me. I am a stay at home mom now and don’t have anywhere to be. There are times I will show up and be called right back, and other times I will have to wait more than an hour to be called. It just depends on how busy the clinic is.
Most of our costs have been covered by our insurance. The genetic testing was not, nor the embryo storage fees. They did, however, offer us the option to do back to back cycles and test all the embryos up to a certain amount. It was much cheaper than doing two separate cycles with testing.
Dr. Cohen felt very strongly that having one baby was better than transferring two and ending up with multiples. Since we chose to screen the embryos he recommended only transferring one. We did decide to transfer two on the fourth attempt, but there was a miscommunication with the lab and only one was thawed. It turned out wonderful though because I got my beautiful little girl from that cycle.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Human Reproduction?
On the day of my fourth transfer, we were supposed to transfer two embryos and there was only one thawed. There had been a miscommunication between the office and the lab. As it happened though, it all worked out because that was my positive cycle. This cycle I have had trouble with scripts not being ready when the nurse said they had been called in and the office was already closed. Thankfully, the nurse had emailed me with the dosage, and my husband (who is a doctor) wrote the script for me. Twice I was told a medication would be called in for me and when I went to pick it up, it was a different medication than what I was instructed to take. Both times, I couldn’t reach anyone at the office or have them return my calls. I ended up just taking the medications. The lab caught an error in my orders when I went in for day 3 testing and needed to draw all new labs. This time around has not been as smooth as my experience with the staff from 2016.
Chicago

Dr Cohen was super cordial. He went through things, made himself available. He always made me feel like things would be ok....The care of Dr Cohen far outweighs the communication struggles with the staff.... He began doing an HSN on me which I never had. My OB said I had a T shaped uterus but only did a HSG....He found a septum in my uterus and we did surgery the next week. He placed a balloon catheter in there for a week. Removal and then we proceeded to get a final cycle started to begin monitoring.
They [Inst for Human Reproduction - Chi] offer great monitoring hours that allowed me to get there early and make it to work on time. It saved me taking off work. I didn’t like that they don’t have weekend hours...They are inconsistent with email vs phone calls.. so that’s disappointing. I had an email go unanswered form a nurse. I let it go as it wasn’t urgent. But I didn’t like being passed around to different nurses. They did have an after hours answering service which was helpful for emergency questions.
How was your experience with David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
Dr Cohen was super cordial. He went through things, made himself available. He always made me feel like things would be ok. I’m still not done with treatment with him. But I’m glad he was my first stop for fertility treatment! He’s awesome!
The care of Dr Cohen far outweighs the communication struggles with the staff.
I felt like even if I was the 1st one in the office that day for monitoring, I could be one of the last to be called with my results. And sometimes the news delivered by staff on a recording I would never imagine getting that way instead of a personal call. When I first started off it seemed like my questions were annoying staff and I wasn’t really sure who to ask.. once I got a few months in, I got the hang of it!
He began doing an HSN on me which I never had. My OB said I had a T shaped uterus but only did a HSG. I lost my daughter at 23 weeks and Dr Cohen said that we needed to look further into why that may have happened. He found a septum in my uterus and we did surgery the next week. He placed a balloon catheter in there for a week. Removal and then we proceeded to get a final cycle started to begin monitoring. He gave me 100mg of clomid and I didn’t respond as needed. I was canceled my 1st planned IUI cycle. I was then given more provera to induce another cycle. I requested doing Letrozol instead of the 150mg of clomid as he had planned to do. I then continued with monitoring, triggered with ovidrel and got my 1st IUI. Started crinone 2 days after. I’m still waiting to see if it worked.
Melissa is the main coordinator there. There was a new trainee who is building her confidence in this field. Overall they answer questions but if you don’t ask.. they won’t tell you.
Describe your experience with Institute for Human Reproduction.
They offer great monitoring hours that allowed me to get there early and make it to work on time. It saved me taking off work. I didn’t like that they don’t have weekend hours.. what if you lined up on a weekend and needed to proceed?? Also, they could use a patient portal. That would do wonders! They are inconsistent with email vs phone calls.. so that’s disappointing. I had an email go unanswered form a nurse. I let it go as it wasn’t urgent. But I didn’t like being passed around to different nurses. They did have an after hours answering service which was helpful for emergency questions.
The only price I was ever given was $1500 for an IUI cycle. I’ve been seeing Dr Cohen since 12/6/17 and I have yet to receive a bill or discuss finances with anyone at that office.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Human Reproduction?
They failed to give me results a few times. Just said to either come back in to be checked again or that I was just canceled. I had ultrasound techs say things that later were disagreed with based on the Drs review of results. They also didn’t correctly update my chart a few times and tried to re-draw labs they already took.
Chicago

He [Dr. Cohen] was very personable and talked to you in terms you understand. Really took the time to get to know you and make you feel comfortable...We did ivf with our embryos genetically tested...Dr. Cohen personally called us and told us how concerned he was that we weren’t doing ivf since we could get our embryos genetics tested to make sure they didn’t carry my brca gene. And how we didn’t just want a baby but a healthy one.
I really enjoyed this clinic. It was always first come first serve when we were going through your cycle. Which made it really nice since we were three hours away... It was always very clean and everyone was very helpful...[nurses were] Very personable and also kept me informed. Very easy to get ahold of...It [monitoring] was always in the morning so it was nice that it didn’t take up your whole day. But when you are going through this it’s all you think about so it didn’t really matter to me. You just have the mindset of the end result.
How was your experience with David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
He was very personable and talked to you in terms you understand. Really took the time to get to know you and make you feel comfortable. It’s just a scary and exciting time. We always felt like he truly cared about us and you can tell he loves what he does.
Definitely go see him and see what he has to say because he will do everything it takes for you to have a family.
During our consultation we had decided to try IUI since the cost of IVF is so high. Since we live three hours away from his office we were driving home and Dr. Cohen personally called us and told us how concerned he was that we weren’t doing ivf since we could get our embryos genetics tested to make sure they didn’t carry my brca gene. And how we didn’t just want a baby but a healthy one. It really meant a lot and we ended up doing ivf with testing. So thankful we did and now have our beautiful baby boy. He kept saying how he couldn’t stop thinking about us and our case. Just really meant a lot and we knew he truly cared about us.
We did ivf with our embryos genetically tested. I did injections daily and sometimes twice a day during my cycle for the retrieval and also before the transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Human Reproduction.
Very personable and also kept me informed. Very easy to get ahold of.
Describe your experience with Institute for Human Reproduction.
I really enjoyed this clinic. It was always first come first serve when we were going through your cycle. Which made it really nice since we were three hours away. So if we got stuck in traffic one say it didn’t matter that we didn’t have to be at the office at a certain time. It was always very clean and everyone was very helpful.
It was always in the morning so it was nice that it didn’t take up your whole day. But when you are going through this it’s all you think about so it didn’t really matter to me. You just have the mindset of the end result.
I believe we spent around $28,000 for everything including one retrieval, genetic testing, two transfers and all medications.
We choose to do one embryo during our first transfer since we only had two good embryos.
Chicago

I felt more like a friend than a patient with Dr Cohen. He was always available when I needed him (which was a lot) and he seemed like he genuinely cared about me as a person. I know he treats many many patients at a time, but he always made me feel like I was his only patient...empathetic, kind, and funny. He was always in tune with exactly how I was feeling without me having to tell him. I can't say enough good things about him. Without him I would have been completely lost and confused during the IVF process.
If not for Dr Cohen I don't think I would have stayed with IHR. I enjoyed seeing most of the staff on my many visits. They were friendly and welcoming. Otherwise the office just seemed like a mess to me and information was conflicting or non existent. I would expect to be lost and confused here if you are new to fertility treatments... During my time with IHR they seemed to have a difficult time keeping nurse coordinators and she was extremely over worked during my time with her.
How was your experience with David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
Dr Cohen is empathetic, kind, and funny. He was always in tune with exactly how I was feeling without me having to tell him. I can't say enough good things about him. Without him I would have been completely lost and confused during the IVF process.
Be open and honest. He will be with you. He will answer all of your questions if you ask them. IVF (or other fertility treatments) is especially confusing if you've never been through it before and it's almost impossible to retain all the information that's provided during an initial visit with Dr Cohen. You can always ask him to clarify or go over anything you need to again outside of appointments with him.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Human Reproduction. (Assigned nurse: Melissa)
Melissa was a great nurse coordinator. Due to circumstances beyond her control there were a number of times that results were given to me much later in the day than I was told to expect them. She was always apologetic and still took the time to answer any questions I had. I also had to reach out to her to get information about my transfer time and information because I never received it from her. I don't blame any of this on her. During my time with IHR they seemed to have a difficult time keeping nurse coordinators and she was extremely over worked during my time with her.
Describe your experience with Institute for Human Reproduction.
Dr Cohen told me right away that he would only transfer one embryo and I was just fine with this. I believe what he said was his goal was for IVF to be successful for me and it wouldn't be a success if I had two (or more) babies in the NICU or worse. I got the impression you have to have a pretty good reason for him to transfer more than one embryo on your first try.
Chicago
He [Dr. Cohen] was compassionate and easy to talk to, very understanding, reassuring and experienced. I felt very comfortable and positive with him...Dr. Cohen was very informative and understanding.... I went through 3 retrievals - 4, 2 and then 7 5 day embryos resulted and were frozen to go through PGS, with 9 recommended for transfer. In retrospect I appreciate that he was conservative and I have enough embryos to potentially have additional children, but hind sight being 20 20 I could've stopped after 2 retrieval cycles and likely had plenty.
Everyone I talked to at IHR, from Nona the financial consultant to the nurses, were great, and except for one or two instances they were great with communicating the daily information that was needed....Sue was fantastic - compassionate and understanding, and worked with our schedules. I know she worked late hours responding to voicemails and emails at all hours. ..The surgery center where the procedures took place was great! Clean and organized, and a convenient location for me.
How was your experience with David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
I was referred to Dr. Cohen by a friend who had just delivered a perfectly healthy baby and shared her experiences with me along the way. He was compassionate and easy to talk to, very understanding, reassuring and experienced. I felt very comfortable and positive with him.
Be patient with the frequent appointments, multiple times a week. They do have a lot of patients, but I appreciated that it was "first come first served" - on days that I needed to get to the airport for a 9am flight, I was able to come in at 6:30 and get my ultrasound and blood work done efficiently.
Everyone I talked to at IHR, from Nona the financial consultant to the nurses, were great, and except for one or two instances they were great with communicating the daily information that was needed. Dr. Cohen was very informative and understanding.
I started with Dr. Cohen in January after switching insurance so it would cover the procedures- I had been 6 months with another doctor on drugs and timed intercourse with no results. He gave me the option of doing IUI or going straight to IVF, which is what we chose due to my age (39, now 40) and everything was straightforward. I went through 3 retrievals - 4, 2 and then 7 5 day embryos resulted and were frozen to go through PGS, with 9 recommended for transfer. In retrospect I appreciate that he was conservative and I have enough embryos to potentially have additional children, but hind sight being 20 20 I could've stopped after 2 retrieval cycles and likely had plenty.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Human Reproduction. (Assigned nurse: Sue Padilla)
Sue was fantastic - compassionate and understanding, and worked with our schedules. I know she worked late hours responding to voicemails and emails at all hours. unfortunately she left the clinic towards the end of my treatment and there was a bit of confusion during the transition.
Describe your experience with Institute for Human Reproduction.
The surgery center where the procedures took place was great! Clean and organized, and a convenient location for me. I also liked the loft-style office and that they played the Today Show in the mornings while I was waiting for my appointments :) They were usually quick to get back to me.
They had monitoring hours in the morning, so as I stated previously, it was very convenient for me to be able to go in early and still get to work on time (or occasionally to the airport for a flight!).
Ugh! I had to go on an Exchange Blue Cross Blue Shield plan because neither mine nor my husband's employers companies covered the treatments because they were "self insured". That out of pocket max was around $6,000 which I hit with my first order of drugs, plus a $400/month premium. However, everything else was covered except for the genetic testing, and each retrieval cycle was a few thousand dollars, and then because I had more than the average (7) embryos go through PGS, there was an additional charge for that as well (but I suppose that's a good problem to have).
Because we went through PGS, Dr. Cohen only transferred a single embryo, which made sense to me.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Human Reproduction?
I did get conflicting information when Sue left and there was a new coordinator assigned to me (regarding the med dosage instructions), but overall, things were smooth.
Chicago

Dr. Cohen and our assigned Nurse Coordinator were kind and patient. Dr. Cohen explained what his recommended treatments were, listening to what questions and concerns we had. Our NC responded quickly to my emails with questions and was patient in explaining things. The only thing that was sometimes a drag was the early morning monitoring appointments. They are first come first serve so you never knew whather you'd be out in an hour or in 5 minutes. But never too bad and always quick once you were called. We're really pleased with the thoughtful care from Dr. Cohen and the Nurses we worked with during the IUI's, as well as our NC...He took time to meet with us, answered all questions and appropriately used humor to put us at ease. Very kind...
The only thing that was sometimes a drag [at IHR - Chicago] was the early morning monitoring appointments. They are first come first serve so you never knew whather you'd be out in an hour or in 5 minutes. But never too bad and always quick once you were called...She [the nurse] was very kind and very patient worth my multiple emails. When she was out of the office, another NC would get back to me and they were great too. The nurses who did the IUI were also very warm and patient and spent a good amount of time with my husband and I answering questions...
How was your experience with David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
May be silly, but parking is very easy for the early morning monitoring appointments and is very easy to get to. There also seem to be some days that have less wait times for the monitoring visits-I would ask what those are and go those days, if possible.
I was on Clomid 50mg (increased after first failed cycle I think), Ovidrel, Estrace (3x/day vaginal) and Crinone 8% 1x/day, combined with IUI. The second cycle was when the estrace was added (due to a thin lining, found during the first cycle), which is when we became pregnant!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Human Reproduction. (Assigned nurse: Jocelyn)
She was very kind and very patient worth my multiple emails. When she was out of the office, another NC would get back to me and they were great too. The nurses who did the IUI were also very warm and patient and spent a good amount of time with my husband and I answering questions.
Covered by BCBS HMO, except for HSG co-pay and cost of estrace co pay.
Chicago

He [Dr. Cohen] is experienced and looks at you as individual, opposed to just another patient. During his initial consult with him, we probably spent about 45 minutes together, and that was the first of many one on one consults. He is willing to try new things, but will always refer to the real statistics and scientifically proven data. He is down to earth, kind, trustworthy, good humored, and very available. I found his level to of care to be exceptional. Another thing I appreciated about him was that he didn't take advantage of us in terms of requiring procedures that were not necessary. I was desperate to have a child, and would have paid for every test under the sun, but he was confident that he had the information we needed, given our circumstances, and that with time we would have success...
[IHR - Chicago] Strengths: Dr. Cohen. He is the reason I stayed there. As a new patient, I would advise that you be assertive, but patient and set realistic expectations in terms of turn around time for yourself and your RN. They will always get you the information you need, but as a patient, I do believe it is your responsibility to be on top of your care and question anything that seems off...
How was your experience with David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
Dr. Cohen is incredible. He is brilliant and up to date on all of the latest trends. He is experienced and looks at you as individual, opposed to just another patient. During his initial consult with him, we probably spent about 45 minutes together, and that was the first of many one on one consults. He is willing to try new things, but will always refer to the real statistics and scientifically proven data. He is down to earth, kind, trustworthy, good humored, and very available. I found his level to of care to be exceptional. Another thing I appreciated about him was that he didn't take advantage of us in terms of requiring procedures that were not necessary. I was desperate to have a child, and would have paid for every test under the sun, but he was confident that he had the information we needed, given our circumstances, and that with time we would have success. Even when I tried to convince him otherwise, he would remind me that he really thought we would have success, but he would tell me if after time, his thoughts changed, which I appreciated. I am forever grateful for his care, and respect him immensely.
Be direct and honest with Dr. Cohen. Ask him for his thoughts and reasoning behind doing things a certain way. He is a great blend of warm, but honest.
Dr. Cohen is AMAZING. He is caring and compassionate while setting realistic expectations. He is available to his patients and you are in constant interaction with him. He is not the kind of doctor who you do not see. He is down to earth, level headed, and treats you like an individual. He will move as quickly or as slowly as you like, but always keep your ending goal in mind. I feel so fortunate to have found him and know he is the best dr. around.
Given I have PCOS - we used Menopur and Follistm. I believe the dosage was between 75 - 150, so very minimal. He also recommended ICSI as my husband has sperm issues. His protocols resulted in tons of day 5 embryos. We initially did transfers without testing the embryos, but after no success, he recommended testing the embryos, which we did. My next transfer worked. We just had to find the right one, which he was saying all along.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Human Reproduction. (Assigned nurse: Joseline)
She was always on top of my care, results, and status of where we were at. She was kind and available when needed. I appreciated her very much.
Describe your experience with Institute for Human Reproduction.
The clinic is busy, and they typically run IVF cycles every other week. I would advise to get there early. They open at 6:30am, but you can typically arrive as early as 6:15am. That's how you will get in asap.
I do not know the cost. Thankfully we had good infertility coverage.

2011 - 2013, Successful
He [Dr. Cohen] quickly responded to emails, never rushed me, got to know me and my husband, and was always professional. I adore Dr. Cohen and he is the only person I ever refer friends to. His staff was fantastic. Fertility treatment sucks, and I never dreaded going to his office knowing I would be met by such warmth by Dr. Cohen and his staff...He was honest, rational, empathetic, supportive, and always accessible...
Gary, Maria, the others [staff at IHR - Chicago] were fantastic. I always looked forward to seeing Gary! Since the staff was small, people got to know you and you got to know them. All the staff were kind and professional...Luckily, our insurance covered most of the service and medications (though we still had considerable expenses). Billing was mostly clear and handled through the University. I never felt pressure to pay before services...
How was your experience with David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
Dr. Cohen said I had a 15% chance of getting pregnant, yet I did. Twice. Dr. Cohen always explained everything extremely well, he was considerate, kind, and even funny. I truly felt like I was treated like an individual.
Come prepared and ask as many questions as you have. Dr. Cohen will be honest, and he will not sugarcoat the answers, but he will try his hardest for you.
Dr. Cohen treated me like a sister. He was honest, rational, empathic, supportive, and always accessible. He quickly responded to emails, never rushed me, got to know me and my husband, and was always professional. I adore Dr. Cohen and he is the only person I ever refer friends to. His staff was fantastic. Fertility treatment sucks, and I never dreaded going to his office knowing I would be met by such warmth by Dr. Cohen and his staff.
I went to see Dr. Cohen due to genetic issues, but ended up being a "poor responder" to treatment. Dr. Cohen personalized my treatment and, guess what, success!
Gary, Maria, the others were fantastic. I always looked forward to seeing Gary! Since the staff was small, people got to know you and you got to know them. All the staff were kind and professional.
Describe your experience with Institute for Human Reproduction.
To clarify... I saw Dr. Cohen when he was the head of the University of Chicago's office. He is now at a different practice. This review is of the UofC's clinic. Their small size is their strength. They can treat patients with respect and kindness.
Monitoring appointments were first-come, first-serve, first thing in the morning, but that worked fine with my work schedule. There was one ultrasound technician, Deb!, who was kind and funny. There were two changing rooms to get changed in and the procedures were quick and easy.
Chicago
Dr. Cohen is extremely personable, compassionate, and knowledgable in the medical field. He always offers an explanation and does so in a manner that does not feel as if he is belittling you. He also has a great sense of humor, which definitely lightens the mood during times which can be stressful. Dr. Cohen is extremely compassionate and treats you like an individual. I genuinely feel as though he wants success for me, because it would complete my family, not to increase his stats. He is always available to answer questions, and is open to hear my input and questions regarding treatment options. Overall, he has been a wonderful addition to my treatment team!
Dr. Tur-Kaspa [at IHR] did the ERA test on me in November and took too much of a sample, which appears to be unheard of. I had to redo the test, which was stressful. The only positives that came from this is Dr. Cohen did the second test and it came back that I was not receptive during the time that I was transferring. My protocol was adjusted. I also did not have to pay for the second ERA test.... Robin is phenomenal! She is punctual with her communication and always goes above and beyond to inform me of upcoming procedures and will answer any questions that I have.
How was your experience with David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Human Reproduction. (Assigned nurse: Robin)
Describe your experience with Institute for Human Reproduction.
There is only one ultrasound tech and phelobotomist that works in the mornings at the Chicago location, which can cause a backup when trying to get to work in the morning. They are organized and are accurate with insurance checks and scheduling.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Human Reproduction?
Dr. Tur-Kaspa did the ERA test on me in November and took too much of a sample, which appears to be unheard of. I had to redo the test, which was stressful. The only positives that came from this is Dr. Cohen did the second test and it came back that I was not receptive during the time that I was transferring. My protocol was adjusted. I also did not have to pay for the second ERA test.
Chicago

Dr. Cohen was regularly available to discuss treatments and our plan. He is very knowledgeable and shared his knowledge in a way that we were able to understand. He is extremely trustworthy and comforting, and I could not imagine having gone through such a difficult process with any other doctor...Dr. Cohen is extremely personable and has a wonderful bedside manner. I felt comfortable with him from the moment we met!...Our first cycle was natural. After a negative test following the first IUI, we tried Clomid, then Letrizole, then back to a stronger dose of Clomid. I did a trigger shot before each IUI, followed by Estrace and Progesterone following each attempt (and for 12 weeks once pregnant).
Dr. Cohen [at Institute for Human Reproduction] was able to provide some discounts when we paid with credit card...Our assigned nurse coordinator was amazing! She was always available to answer questions and explain next steps. We had difficulty with another nurse who did not communicate as well, but it was a one time incident...One time, a presciption was not called in and I had to call the after hours line. We had some billing issues following pregnancy (needed for FSA).
How was your experience with David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
Let him guide the way with your input. Ask questions and be informed!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Human Reproduction. (Assigned nurse: Sue)
We paid for everything out of pocket, 100%. However, Dr. Cohen was able to provide some discounts when we paid with credit card.
Chicago
Dr Cohen is a very straight forward guy. He is also very thorough in explaining what happens biologically in every step of the process with every different drug I take. While moat of the visit is strictly down to business, he also takes time to talk with us about our jobs and share bits about his life with us as well. Dr Cohen is very professional and seems to know every obscure question you ask to him and will even have historical information to back it up! He's a very smart guy but also down to earth.
They [the staff at IHR-Chicago] are great at what they do, and are easy to communicate with! They have an email system and also call you every day to let you know your monitoring results. The place is clean and comfy. The location downtown is hard to find on your first go... He prefers to do just one embryo for the FET, but will do 2 for the frozen embryo transfer.
How was your experience with David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
Just make sufe you leave knowing exactly what your next steps will be. Dr. Cohen will make you feel comfortable.
Dr Cohen always makes me feel very comfortable.
Weve only done IUI so far, and are starting IVF now after the three standard failed attempts.
They are a great balance of professional and personable.
Describe your experience with Institute for Human Reproduction.
They are great at what they do, and are easy to communicate with! They have an email system and also call you every day to let you know your monitoring results. The place is clean and comfy. The location downtown is hard to find on your first go.
Covered by insurance
2015 - 2017, Successful
Dr Cohen is the most caring physician I have worked with, including all specialties...His level of detail, and desire to help you makes him the best candidate for any fertility needs. He truly cares about his patients...We went to ICSI IVF due to MFI. We had failed IUI's, which was expected and basically to appease insurance. IVF was a success, 5 embryos total, 1 transferred for my first pregnancy resulting in a live birth, and he performed an FET for my second (one embryo) resulting in a current pregnancy.
[The nurses at Institute for Human Reproduction] Forgot to call in my meds. Was Olgas [nurse] fault...Olga is difficult to work with. The coordinator was new, so I understood there were some difficulties there, but Olga was truly the unpleasant, difficult person in the office...We went to ICSI IVF due to MFI. We had failed IUI's, which was expected and basically to appease insurance. IVF was a success, 5 embryos total, 1 transferred for my first pregnancy resulting in a live birth, and he performed an FET for my second (one embryo) resulting in a current pregnancy.
How was your experience with David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
Dr Cohen is the best. His level of detail, and desire to help you makes him the best candidate for any fertility needs. He truly cares about his patients, and isn't in it just for the money like others!
Go to him!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Human Reproduction.
Describe your experience with Institute for Human Reproduction.
Strength- dr Cohen Weakness- some support staff
Insurance covered
Due to my age and no female factors, he only gave us the option to transfer one.
Forgot to call in my meds. Was Olgas fault
2016, Unknown Success
Dr. Cohen is very accessible and a great educator. He takes a lot of time with you each visit and responds to emails same day typically no matter how small the question...Dr. Cohen is extremely caring with his patients, always set reasonable expectations, and is accessible to his patients. I learned more from one consult with him that 7 months with another doctor...Email him and ask lots of questions. Let him know what concerns you are secretly researching online so he can help you with research and answers...
Emails and calls are always returned promptly and communication with nurses [at IHR- Chicago] and the doctor is great...
How was your experience with David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
dr. Cohen is very accessible and a great educator. He takes a lot of time with you each visit and responds to emails same day typically no matter how small the question.
Emails and calls are always returned promptly and communication with nurses and the doctor is great.