Nurse available by email
FellowshipEast Tennessee St.
7250 Clearvista Drive
Indianapolis, IN 46256
317) 621-0600
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend David Carnovale to a friend?

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Community Reproductive Endocrinology to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 100%9.5
Endometriosis, Unexplained
We are 9+ years in our fertility journey but it does seem Dr. Carnovale is very much in favor of IVF. We felt like his stance was more of a "you want to get pregnant, we will make it happen" vs a slow and steady approach we have had in the past with other doctors. I also truly appreciate his honesty with our case...While he is not full of personality and may come off a bit akward at times he knows his line of work, truly cares about you, and feels like he genuinely loves what he does.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
How was your experience with David Carnovale at Community Reproductive Endocrinology?
We are 9+ years in our fertility journey but it does seem Dr. Carnovale is very much in favor of IVF. We felt like his stance was more of a "you want to get pregnant, we will make it happen" vs a slow and steady approach we have had in the past with other doctors. I also truly appreciate his honesty with our case. We were told he is fairly particular with the cases he will take on and we loved that idea that if he didn't think he would be successful he would not treat.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Carnovale at Community Reproductive Endocrinology?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Carnovale at Community Reproductive Endocrinology?
Getting an appointment is a little difficult when you have a complicated schedule as the office hours are limited to times not convenient for our family. I have loved how personal and friendly the staff and nurses are. Also the doctor is involved in EVERY SINGLE treatment which is HUGE and made me feel like a true patient.
Describe the protocols David Carnovale used in your cycles at Community Reproductive Endocrinology and their degree of success.
We started with routine ultrasounds to see where we stood. Dr. Carnovale was my first doctor in 9+ years of treatments to ever suspect Endometriosis as I had no symptoms. We decided to proceed with Laparoscopy and it was confirmed I had minor endo. I was so grateful to finally have a bit of an answer. After surgery we expressed our desire to really try naturally before proceeding with IVF and Dr. gave us a timeline he recommended and really explained all our options and why we should do things when. We are now currently waiting for the next IVF cycle.
The staff had personality and seemed more like friends than nurses. So far I have loved each nurse that I have met.
Describe your experience with Community Reproductive Endocrinology.
I love that the clinic is attached to the hospital so Dr. Carnovale can preform any needed surgeries. They clinic itself is incredibly up to date and offers a bit of comfort. I love seeing them over sterilize any equipment used and also you are never left sitting forever in a waiting room.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Carnovale at Community Reproductive Endocrinology.
Cost seem to be in range for the area. We are currently waiting to pay out of pocket for IVF and looking at around $16000ish with meds.
Describe David Carnovale's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Community Reproductive Endocrinology.
I love that Dr. Carnovale prefers a single transfer (in most cases). It seems he cares more about a healthy pregnancy that leads to a healthy child vs. just getting me pregnant. He did however state that if we wanted to transfer more than one he would be willing after a great amount of caution and concern being expressed.
Indianapolis

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with David Carnovale at Community Reproductive Endocrinology.

My husbands sperm specimen was normal [tested with Dr. Carnovale] and I had timed intercourse each cycle. This has resulted in no pregnancies...He always addressed me by my name. He always remembered I work in the medical field, even if he couldn’t always remember what exact position or where. He has always given me time to ask/answer questions...During my initial consultation, he did try to address my holistic health. I remember that he did address that this can be a very emotionally exhausting process and ensured I had a good support system. He is always courteous and warm when I see him in the office.
During my initial consultation, he did try to address my holistic health. I remember that he did address that this can be a very emotionally exhausting process and ensured I had a good support system. He is always courteous and warm when I see him in the office. As I am only completing oral medications currently in my journey, I have mostly seen the nurses on my quick visits for ultrasounds to follicle checks. However, I know that he is always reviewing these and making any adjustments to my plan. Most of the time, he stops in at the end of my ultrasound appointment and checks in on me and allows for any questions I may have. While I have not had a pregnancy yet, he has taken time to ensure that we are still on the same page in my plan so far and has made it clear that if I decide that I want to change this plan, he is in full support of me.
Regardless of the physician, come to your consultation prepared and at least research basic treatments for whatever your infertility situation is. This helped me know what types of questions I would have ahead of time.
I had previously failed to respond to 3 cycles of clomid and one low dose (unmonitored cycle) of letrozole with my OB/GYN. We started with letrozole at 5 mg on days 5-9 after having a baseline ultrasound. I had to take prometrium to induce a period (anovulatory) first. I then came back for another ultrasound after finishing the 5 days of pills to check for follicles. This continued every month until I found the right dose that I responded to (10 mg). When I started having follicles, I received an injection of Ovidrel once my follicles were large enough and was given instructions on when to have intercourse. I was instructed to take 200 mg progesterone vaginal suppositories for two weeks starting 2 days after ovulation until it was time to take a pregnancy test. If this is negative, I stop the progesterone and get my period. Then I start a new cycle. I have responded to 10 mg and have produced 2-4 follicles each cycle (4 out of 6). My husbands sperm specimen was normal and I had timed intercourse each cycle. This has resulted in no pregnancies.
They are the staff members I see and talk to the most. They complete most of my ultrasounds and know my plan so they often can predict what decision he will go with before he even sees the ultrasound. They are always free to answer questions and reassure me.
Describe your experience with Community Reproductive Endocrinology.
Everyone is always kind and friendly. They never think I have a stupid question, even if I have asked it before and just want reassurance. Dr. Carnovale made a plan for treatment and assured me that if I wanted to move on to something else, this could be adjusted. I feel confident in their knowledge and comfortable and at ease in their care.
I pay completely out of pocket due to my insurance. I get a 20% discount for non-covered procedures/tests for being an employee of the network. The ultrasounds range from 170-240 dollars depending on if it’s a baseline vs follow up ultrasound.
Indianapolis

Dr. Carnovale helped me with my Stage 4 endometriois through a laproscopic surgery and also our first attempt at IVF since we had been trying to concieve for 3 years. The surgery resulted in much much less pain. He was very empathetic when discussing the struggle of the disease and also the pain of the infertility journey. While I had a few ovarian cysts, he recommended we hold off on IVF until those cleared up to maximize my chances. With his monitoring and birth control, we were able to start IVF. Although the round was not successful, he was very present and answered all questions throughout our process. He also is very meticulous, and knowledgable about all facets of infertility throughout the process. I recommend him and hope in nour next IVF round, we have more success, given our next consult and review to potentially modify treatment.
Ask questions. He will always ask if you have any, and if he is present, it is best to ask anything on your mind. Listen to his recommendations, as his goal is to maximize the chance of success with IVF.
They listened to any concerns I had and helped with the debate one or two embryos given my situation with empathy.
Prior to treatment, he recommended birth control to minimize the cysts and endometriosis, as well as COQ10 and aspirin (blood flow and egg quality). We had a very thorough class on everything, and then also a folder to take with us with resources. Stim included, Follistim, Menopur, Ganirelix. Blood tests and ultrasounds to continuing monitoring follicles, lining, and hormones. Once I was ready, we did the HCG trigger test. Then came in for retrieval, which was pretty quick and done well, even with my current endometriomas on my ovaries. Then I started progrestrone in oil and continued during the two week wait prior to a blood test.
The nursing staff was great and helped to answer any additional questions, and also were responsive also via phone. They also helped on transfer day to reassure me and talk through the decsion of two vs one embryo.
Describe your experience with Community Reproductive Endocrinology.
I think this clinic focuses on the right things, providing the most success for their patients. They aren't 150% focused on giving patients all the details and the customer experience, but they are 150% invested in doing the right thing for the patients and during the procedures. The clinic overall is trustworthy, candid, and treats you like a patient, not a number.
$12,700 for round 1 IVF treatment, $5,000 for injections and medications
They educated us on the dangers of twins or multiples, but because of my endometriosis and also only having two total embryos for transfer and none left for freezing, he supported my decision to do two to help increase the chance.
Indianapolis

After my egg retrieval, I developed OHSS and Dr. Carnovale even called me from home on a weekend to check on me. ... He always takes his time with me, never appears rushed, and is always worried about my emotional well-being. ... He is extremely intelligent, provides individualized care, and takes time to make sure you understand and are comfortable with the plan.
I cannot think of any weaknesses. Dr. Carnovale is extremely caring and compassionate. He is extremely intelligent, provides individualized care, and takes time to make sure you understand and are comfortable with the plan. He is the best!
GO TO DR. CARNOVALE!
Dr. Carnovale and his staff were so great. I always felt like I was their only patient. They treated me with such kindness and sincerity. After my egg retrieval, I developed OHSS and Dr. Carnovale even called me from home on a weekend to check on me. This is so rare these days. He always takes his time with me, never appears rushed, and is always worried about my emotional well-being. I am so thankful for him!!
He used follistim and menopur for stims. I used cetrotide to suppress ovulation. I triggered with HCG. After retrieval, I started on progesterone injections and did a fresh transfer. I became pregnant but unfortunately had a chemical loss. He met with me immediately afterwards and helped make a plan to move forward.
Thinking of them brings tears or happiness to my eyes. These ladies are amazing. When I first came to the clinic following my chemical pregnancy, one of them even came into the lobby when I walked in just to hug me and give her condolences. They were always so sweet and compassionate. They made sure I had everything that I needed and that all of my questions were answered. They are simply the best.
Describe your experience with Community Reproductive Endocrinology.
Beautiful clinic, very clean, private, good flow. From the doctor, to the nurses, to the front desk staff, office coordinator, and embryology team .. we were very impressed! It's a great place and we have nothing but good things to say!
I can't remember exact costs but I do know it was lower than a competitor in which we also had a consult with.
He has a strong preference towards single embryo transfer but is open to listening and possibly transferring two.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
He [Dr. Carnovale] took the time to really listen to me and my husband before ever doing a physical examination. Even though he had thoroughly reviewed our medical history, he asked ME questions and listened to MY answers. He asked what our desires were, what our desired outcome was and how quickly we wanted to get there.... He suggested and did perform laparoscopic surgery for endometriosis after reviewing and listening to my symptoms as well as seeing evidence on an US. We did conceive naturally after that but miscarried.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
He is incredibly thorough and attentive. He knows when to be light hearted and when to be serious. He was great at explaining endometriosis and he expressed sympathy and disdain at the fact that I had not felt cared for or valued at our first fertility clinic. When I came to him with a pregnancy, he was positive and upbeat--but when the ultrasound revealed that the pregnancy might not be viable, he didn't sugar coat. He was clear that I might miscarry (which I did) but he did not rub it in or do so in a manner that was thoughtless. We eventually did have success in conceiving with our second round of IVF and are now seeing him for treatment in trying to conceive baby number 2. Though time has passed and his practice has grown, the attention to detail has not faltered. I still see Dr. Carnovale at EVERY visit, he still takes time to answer EVERY question, and is still as attentive as ever. I've always felt cared for and valued and respected, not talked down to, and my opinion/input/thoughts are always considered and respected.
Take notes. He is incredibly smart and will walk you through everything. But also always come with your questions written down. He'll take the time to answer them, but if you don't have them written down, sometimes he's so thorough that you get caught up in all the info he's giving you and forget the other questions you had. Also--be yourself. I know others that love Dr. Carnovale but find him a bit quiet or reserved. He definitely can be that way, but if you relax and just be yourself, he can actually be really funny!
He took the time to really listen to me and my husband before ever doing a physical examination. Even though he had thoroughly reviewed our medical history, he asked ME questions and listened to MY answers. He asked what our desires were, what our desired outcome was and how quickly we wanted to get there. He cared about what we had to say and took all the time needed to answer questions. As we progressed through treatment, our first attempt at IVF resulted in a cancellation and change to IUI due to poor response to stimulation medications. It was hard news to take, and he was caring and considerate and understanding. Furthermore, when we came back to start our next round of IVF, he remembered how i had struggled and asked how I was feeling. He asks questions about us as a family, and remembers details of our lives. We are not just a medical record number.
He suggested and did perform laparoscopic surgery for endometriosis after reviewing and listening to my symptoms as well as seeing evidence on an US. We did conceive naturally after that but miscarried. We started IVF in the fall of 2016. Our first round, I responded poorly to the stimulation medications, so we switched to IUI that cycle, which failed. We then waited a couple months (holiday season) and then did IVF again in January of 2017. This time, with the addition of Omnitrope (human growth hormone). With that medication protocol, we achieved successful egg retrieval, got 9 egs, 8 of which fertilized with ICSI, and 3 of which made it to day 5. Transfered 2, 1 frozen. Successful singleton pregnancy carried to term! We have just started IVF for baby #2, after having another endometriosis excision surgery in August. This time I have DOR as well, so the protocol has changed slightly to include higher doses of stim medications as well as the Omnitrope.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Community Reproductive Endocrinology. (Assigned nurse: Katie)
They are ALL so so supportive. I know at least 2 of the nurses were former infertility patients themselves, so the level of empathy is off the charts. Every member of the staff takes the time to answer my questions no matter how stupid or annoying. They clearly communicate well internally, because the transition between staff members--if necessary--is always seamless. They work together very well as a team, and that results in stellar patient care.
Describe your experience with Community Reproductive Endocrinology.
Since I first began seeing Dr. Carnovale, they have moved to a brand new office in the same building. It is very nice, clean, and private. The great part is that now the lab and embryologist are all part of the same suite as the medical staff. In fact, they can now do retrievals and transfers in their suite as well, where previously you had to go to the OR at the adjoining hospital. Usually you are one of the only patients in the office. You may see one or two other patients. But they don't try and cram tons of patients in at once, which results in you having plenty of unrushed time with the staff. In addition, they are usually very prompt--if your appointment is at a given time, expect to be seen at that time. No waiting for an hour! All around it's just a peaceful, non-stressful place to visit with caring staff and they respect your time.
My laparoscopy was robotic, so total cost would have been $64,000(ish) without insurance. It was covered though since it's not considered fertility treatment. If I needed to have a tube repaired, it would have been $2500 . One round of IVF is approx $12,500 with another $2500-$4,000 for meds.
Both Dr. Carnovale and the embryologist discussed with me the risks/rewards of transferring 1-2 embryos. Based on quality, my age, and my history of miscarriage, we mutually decided to transfer 2, which resulted in a singleton pregnancy.
Indianapolis

Dr. Carnovale's office is relatively small and you are usually the only patient in the office. You get 1:1 time with Dr. Carnovale and everything is done by him or he sees you immediately after treatment with the nurses. He did take the time to ask me what I wanted and what I knew was going on with my body.... Dr. Carnovale diagnosed me with endometriosis- I had a surgery to confirm and remove a significant amount of the disease. He had me do an Ovarian Reserve Test/SIS/and ultra sound, he had my husband get a sperm analysis and DNA test. As a right now we are waiting till I heal from surgery to start IVF.
Dr. Carnovale is a nice guy, I wouldn't say he is necessarily a super emotional person but does explain things in detail, answers questions, and takes into consideration your personal and physical limitations. He listened to my background and finally diagnosed me with something instead of what I was used to hearing, which is pain is normal.
Make sure you ask questions and follow up questions and ask for more details.
Katie is my main nurse and she is always willing to listen, shows compassion, and advocates for my care.
Describe your experience with Community Reproductive Endocrinology.
The only downside to this clinic is that it is very hard to get someone on the phone- I have to leave a message a lot (even to schedule appointments). It would be nice if they had a receptionist separate from their office manager. However, because it is smaller you get in right away and you never really have to wait.
So far it has been about $1,500 in diagnostic tests and surgery. I believe IVF will be around 12-15k and drugs will be over 5k.
Dr. Carnovale indicated that he will transfer a single embryo during IVF.

PCOS, Unexplained
He told things as they were (both good and bad). Sometimes the truth hurts. It felt a little cold as he did discuss IVF as one of the options (knowing we we're still early in this process) but I understand he was just explaining all the options. ... There are no ultrasound techs. He performs those and is able to give you feedback at the same time which is great. ...
PCOS, Unexplained
He took his time to sit down with us after the first visit to look at our history and our options. He explained things well but we found ourselves repeating things we filled out on forms or told the nurse staff. He laid out how hard conception can be and options he has available. IVF was discussed at the first appointment, which at first I didn't like, but later realize he was trying to explain everything. We decided on a treatment plan and moved forward. He makes a point do most things himself, which is nice. There are no ultrasound techs. He performs those and is able to give you feedback at the same time which is great.
Understand this is a doctors office so there will be some level of "coldness" to the whole thing. He's not there to hold you and tell you it's gonna be fine and you'll have a baby. He's there to troubleshoot any issues and work towards your end result. I can respect honesty.
It's a small office, so you are usually there alone or with one other couple in the lobby. Having never been to a fertility clinic before, we werent sure what to expect. He told things as they were (both good and bad). Sometimes the truth hurts. It felt a little cold as he did discuss IVF as one of the options (knowing we we're still early in this process) but I understand he was just explaining all the options.
We did a low dose of Clomid, a mid cycle scan followed by a trigger shot.
Just one or two nurses. They were both friendly but should understand people are going to have a lot of questions.
Describe your experience with Community Reproductive Endocrinology.
An office is only as strong as it's weakest link. In this case, it's his front office. It appears to be one girl. We called around other fertility clinics while we were with this doctor. I couldn't rate the front office any worse. She was cold and always sounded annoyed when you asked questions (while there will be lots when it comes to this). Reviews elsewhere confirm we aren't the only ones. It would do this doctor good to find someone else or train this person to be more compassionate and understanding. Had we needed to go through IVF, I don't know if we would have gone through this doctor purely because the front office lady. I could not imagine paying that much money to have someone treat you so carelessly.
Luckily insurance covers infertility treatments outside of IVF. Our total treatment costs were around $1000 for copays, ultrasounds, and medications over the course of 8 weeks.

Endometriosis, Other
Honestly the only weakness was that it took me 4 months to get into his office. Otherwise he [Dr. David Carnovale] was so wonderful...When they were removing a balloon from my uterus after fixing my bicornuate uterus, he made a point to have my favorite nurse perform the removal, and he came in towards the end to calm my nerves and answer questions...I had terrible anxiety about the vaginal ultrasounds and he was always patient, kind, and answered every question I had.
Endometriosis, Other
Honestly the only weakness was that it took me 4 months to get into his office. Otherwise he was so wonderful. Once we finished some of my procedures he assured me that he believed I wouldn’t have problems getting pregnant but if I did here were the next steps. Also because of my uterine reconstruction, he spent time explaining how long I needed to heal, ideal years for fertility, and the risk of an incompetent cervix so I could start looking into stitching my cervix during pregnancy. He looked beyond me as his patient and wanted to prepare me for the future.
Ask the questions because he will take the time to answer!
I was young and pretty scared when I started seeing him. Not to mention I had terrible anxiety about the vaginal ultrasounds and he was always patient, kind, and answered every question I had. When they were removing a balloon from my uterus after fixing my bicornuate uterus, he made a point to have my favorite nurse perform the removal, and he came in towards the end to calm my nerves and answer questions.
I was placed on loloestrin fe before my uterine reconstruction, and again after I was diagnosed with stage 3 endometriosis. I’m not ready to conceive yet, but I would go to him if I struggle.
Every single one was so nice! And they would even sit with you and wait for the doctor. They worked so hard to earn your trust
Describe your experience with Community Reproductive Endocrinology.
The clinic office is small, but they do a good time about scheduling so that you’re maybe with one other person/ couple max. They work hard to make you feel comfortable, and when I called the clinic with questions literally any of them could address my concerns
Insurance covered all of my procedures except tubal flushing during my labroscopy.

Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Other, Unexplained
He [Dr. David Carnovale] was very blunt but I appreciated that. He softened up as he got to know us but I appreciated a doctor who wouldn’t shy from the truth and he fought for us from the beginning. He was an answer to prayer after having so many failed attempts and I was about to lose my job and therefore my incredible fertility benefits - he fought to get us on the schedule earlier and didn’t waste our time with additional IUI’s. He was a Godsend to us
Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Other, Unexplained
He was very blunt but I appreciated that. He softened up as he got to know us but I appreciated a doctor who wouldn’t shy from the truth and he fought for us from the beginning. He was an answer to prayer after having so many failed attempts and I was about to lose my job and therefore my incredible fertility benefits - he fought to get us on the schedule earlier and didn’t waste our time with additional IUI’s. He was a Godsend to us
He’s blunt but he’s a genius
He was amazing and was very dedicated to making us feel like we mattered unlike our prior fertility doctor at Midwest
He changed dosages more then we were expecting but that’s because we had a lead follicle that almost washed the cycle for us. We were devistated, however he worked his magic and everything turned out okay. He was a miracle maker for our miracle baby
Describe your experience with your nurse at Community Reproductive Endocrinology. (Assigned nurse: Katie and Kathleen were INCREDIBLE!! )
Kathleen and Katie were amazing!!! We saw Melissa a few times and she wasn’t as warm or comforting as the others but thankfully we were primarily with the first two :)
We originally wanted multiple just to increase our chances after having so many failed attempts, but he and Dr Bolt discussed why we should try single first and see how it goes. We trusted them both entirely

Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
He [Dr. Carnovale] remembered details about my care every time I went in. ... I had some unexpected incidents happen and he was very quick to act and never made me feel like I was crazy when I would tell him something. I saw him every appointment, and he was very informative. ...We only did one embryo due to a weakened uterus from endometriosis instead of multiple
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
Nothing bad on my end can be said about Dr. Carnovale. I had some unexpected incidents happen and he was very quick to act and never made me feel like I was crazy when I would tell him something. I saw him every appointment, and he was very informative.
Stay positive
He remembered details about my care every time I went in.
I do not remember the drug names or protocols but we ended up with a child from our frozen 5 day transfer.
The nursing staff is so kind. They become your best friends and cheerleaders.
Describe your experience with Community Reproductive Endocrinology.
Strengths are they are very knowledgeable and informative. The embryologist and Dr. Carnovale are in one office which is nice. Jodi at the front desk will answer absolutely everything for you and is so incredibly nice. I can not think of any weaknesses other than it gets slightly impersonal during egg retrieval.
Cost is all depending on what needs to be done.
We only did one embryo due to a weakened uterus from endometriosis instead of multiple. There’s also statisticallya better outcome for one embryo being transferred verses multiple.