Nurse available by email
ResidencyU. of Kansas Wesley
FellowshipYale
9300 East 29th St
Wichita, KS 67226
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend David Grainger to a friend?
9.8

5.3

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas to a friend?
2014 - 2019
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Unexplained
Moving forward, we plan to try an extended letrozole cycle before IVF again. He [Dr. Grainger] just doesn't have answers for me and we have done every test we know to do...He told us the risks of multiple embryo transfer and what he preferred, but at the end of the day it was our prerogative...has the absolute best bedside manner. He is warm and genuine, but he can find humor through the hard. He is matter of fact and likes to keep things as simple and non-invasive as possible. He's a realist and doesn't say things just to make you feel better or get your hopes up. He's a stand up, faith driven and educated man. Nothing but love for him. He is willing to take his time and show you that he is concerned and wants the best outcome for you.
2014 - 2019
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Unexplained
How was your experience with David Grainger at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas?
He is a man that I know I can trust. He is upfront and honest and lays everything out for you. He truly goes above and beyond in his care and makes you feel grounded when hormones and emotions are trying to take over. I feel secure as a patient knowing that I'm receiving optimal care from someone that I highly respect.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Grainger at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas?
Trust his judgment. He is a Yale graduate and is a sought-after RE in our area.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Grainger at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas?
Dr. Grainger has the absolute best bedside manner. He is warm and genuine, but he can find humor through the hard. He is matter of fact and likes to keep things as simple and non-invasive as possible. He's a realist and doesn't say things just to make you feel better or get your hopes up. He's a stand up, faith driven and educated man. Nothing but love for him. He is willing to take his time and show you that he is concerned and wants the best outcome for you.
Describe the protocols David Grainger used in your cycles at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas and their degree of success.
The strategies that have been used have been pretty standard, as I am considered "unexplained." We have no answers as to why things haven't worked subsequently after the conception of my son using injectables and intercourse back in 2015. Even undergoing IVF, having a miscarriage, failed transfer, and a chemical pregnancy with the 3 transfers. Moving forward, we plan to try an extended letrozole cycle before IVF again. He just doesn't have answers for me and we have done every test we know to do.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas. (Assigned nurse: Chelsea and Megan)
The two nurses that I primarily see are Chelsea and Megan. However, all of them are great. Chelsea specifically has been an ongoing support for me and has become a friend. At the time of my miscarriage, she came into my room and just hugged me while I bawled. It was extremely comforting and I really felt her heart hurting for me (us). Megan is very informative and detailed, which I love and appreciate. She is organized and good about reassuring me. Again, I cried at the talk of potentially cancelling our IVF cycle due to poor response and she was good about letting me know that however it turned out, we'd make the right decision. As with Dr. Grainger, I love his staff just as much. They see more me than my own family at times.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
Their strengths are everything and I'm not just saying that. They're organized and small enough that it truly feels like family. I am greeted by my first name when I walk through the door. My phone calls and emails are returned promptly. I never feel left in the dark in regards to billing or treatment. I just love and adore everyone there.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Grainger at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
Oh goodness. This is hard to say. I believe an IUI is $500. IVF base is $11,000 excluding medications and additional testing that may be needed.
Describe David Grainger's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
He has always stood by it being our choice. He told us the risks of multiple embryo transfer and what he preferred, but at the end of the day it was our prerogative.
Wichita

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with David Grainger at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.

Dr Grainger is kind, has extremely wonderful bedside manner, intelligent and full of optimism. ... When I experienced a chemical pregnancy in May 2018, Dr Grainger was so kind, gentle and reassuring that this didn’t mean we would never get pregnant again. ... We used femara and ovidrel for 7 cycles. Our 8th cycle we used femara, gonal F and ovidrel. ... Dr Grainger is extremely intelligent and was extremely open to answering all my questions, especially when I asked about taking some holistic approaches in addition to the medical side of things he was providing
Dr Grainger is kind, has extremely wonderful bedside manner, intelligent and full of optimism. He has reassured me every step of the way through our process. Dr Grainger is extremely intelligent and was extremely open to answering all my questions, especially when I asked about taking some holistic approaches in addition to the medical side of things he was providing.
One piece of advice I would have wanted to know before I started, listen and trust Dr Grainger, ask all the questions.
Dr Grainger and his staff always made me feel like a human, not a number. All of his nurses were quick to respond to phone calls, honest about our course of treatments, and kind. When I experienced a chemical pregnancy in May 2018, Dr Grainger was so kind, gentle and reassuring that this didn’t mean we would never get pregnant again. He was, in fact, very positive, all things considered, because I was able to get pregnant. My experience with him, his nurses and the office has been great.
The strengths of this nursing staff are their communication skills. They are all extremely thorough, will answer all your questions. The nurses have always called me back less than 24 hours of when I’ve called. Typically, less than 5 hours of when I’ve called. One weakness, the nursing staff is not always running on time. I’ve had to wait up to 30 min for an appt multiple times.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
Crystal is at the front desk, she is kind and always cheerful and is quick to learn your name. There are two women that are in billing...they have yet to be overly kind, cheerful or helpful. They are certainly not overly rude but also not real friendly. The clinic is always clean, they always have great music playing. You wouldn’t think that music would make much of an impact, but it does! Music can improve your mood or take your mind off of the tough situation you may be in. I’ve become more and more thankful for the wide range of music the office always is playing, even on Sunday’s!
Our insurance covered soooo much, it was such a blessing. My HSG was $300. IUI was $600. Mid cycle sonograms were covered by my insurance. Ovidrel was $60 after insurance. Gonal F was $30 after insurance. Femara was $3 after insurance.
Wichita

At times we felt like we didn’t get things explained to us as well as they should have been. ... While he did explain things quickly he was very willing to answer all of our questions. ... I think because Dr. Grainger is so experienced he rushes through explanations on some things. He went over lab results with us but didn’t really explain what they meant.... Dr. Grainger made me feel really comfortable during consultation and ultrasound. ...
At times we felt like we didn’t get things explained to us as well as they should have been. I think because Dr. Grainger is so experienced he rushes through explanations on some things. He went over lab results with us but didn’t really explain what they meant. He didn’t perform the actual insemination but did observe the ultrasound and review lab results with us. While he did explain things quickly he was very willing to answer all of our questions. So far, we really like Dr. Grainger, we’ve only done one IUI cycle with him and are getting ready to do our first IVF cycle with him.
Ask questions! If you don’t understand something don’t be afraid to ask for clarification.
Dr. Grainger made me feel really comfortable during consultation and ultrasound. He’s very experienced and had a lot of knowledge. He was willing to answer all of the questions we had. He was funny and joked with us and that made us feel more comfortable and at ease.
I had already been started on Femara (CD 3-5) and dexamethasone (Start CD 3 for 10 days) from a previous Dr when we went in to see Dr. Grainger. I was responding well to what had been prescribed so we went forward with the IUI. We did do 250mcg Ovidrel to trigger ovulation and followed with an IUI 36hrs later. I had three large follicles and thick lining when I went in for the pre-IUI ultrasound. This IUI did not result in pregnancy. We are getting ready to do our first IVF cycle and so far he started me on Sprintec birth control to prevent ovulation prior to starting stimulation.
The nursing staff and IVF coordinators are amazing. They are extremely helpful and knowledgeable. They call you back in a decent amount of time and also respond via email which is helpful for me since I work full-time and can’t always answer the phone. They are always willing to answer any questions we have.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
Every time we’ve had an appointment we have nevertheless had to wait and there was only one time there was anyone else in the waiting room. This was really nice for us as we are fairly private people. This clinic has designated collection rooms which was a first for us and made it easier for my husband to give his sample. Their lab facilities are fairly quick. We’ve never had to wait more than 15 mins to have blood drawn or be taken to a collection room. Everyone in this clinic is super helpful and knowledgeable. They are also open every day of the year except for Christmas Day and New Year’s Day which takes a lot of stress out of the unpredictability of ovulation and makes IUI timing easier.
We have met our insurance deductible for the year so our expenses have been minimal. However, they did charge $300 for an office visit and over $200 for a vaginal ultrasound. The cost of our IUI has not been submitted to insurance yet. The lab costs seem similar to other labs that I have had bloodwork done at.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Other
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Other
What I really liked about Dr Grainger was his compassion and his curiosity and willingness to help me understand the cause of my infertility so we could then try to treat it. Before meeting with him, I was thinking that I would like to have laparoscopic surgery to check for endometriosis. During our conversation, he concluded that that was his recommendation without me bringing it up. He also did my initial ultrasound himself, and tried to locate one of my ovaries which had eluded many ultrasound techs. He was pretty sure he found it, but a month later I had surgery and there was no 2nd ovary there. Dr Grainger was also very curious whether I have a genetic condition that causes my fertility problems. He recommended genetic karyotype testing, which I was willing to do, I was just waiting for the clinic to tell me what to do. A month later I had laparoscopic surgery, then took a few weeks to recover, and then was ready to start a medicated timed cycle. When I called the nurses, I was told that I could not be treated until I had the genetic test, because pregnancy could be life-threatening if I did have the genetic condition. Needless to say, I was very angry that I had to wait another month to start any treatment while I waited for results when the test could have been done 2 months ago. I don't know if this was a communication problem between the Dr and the nurses, or if someone in the office dropped the ball somewhere. I also don't feel like Dr Grainger explained that if I had that condition it could be life threatening to get pregnant - I think I would have remembered that and wanted to know right away. Luckily, I do not have the condition. After my surgery, I had one short follow-up appointment with the Dr to discuss the surgery results and the plan going forward - 2 rounds of medicated (Letrizole) timed intercourse, and if that didn't work, he recommended going on to IVF (which their clinic doesn't do, I would have to go to KU Med in Kansas City). After the follow up appointment, I only had contact with nurses and the office staff. We did two months of medicated timed intercourse and then decided to move on.
They close early on Fridays, so make sure to not have your "day 1" on a Friday afternoon. I know you can't control that - it just seems like everything happened to me on Fridays and it was always so stressful trying to rush to get a bloodtest and get the results send to their office by 11am. I live 2 hours away from their office, so I couldn't just go there for tests and ultrasounds.
Dr Grainger took time to sit down in the office with me (not the exam room) and listen to my concerns and my history. Whereas I felt another clinic wanted to rush me into the routine steps of fertility treatment, Dr. Grainger understood my desire to figure out why I was having the problems I was, and how they might play in to my fertility challenge. He offered the option of surgery and genetic testing based on my story. I appreciated his caring manner. He is also very straight forward and up front with realistic expectations. He also performed my first ultrasound himself, which is done by nurses or technicians at most other clinics, so that made an impression on me. He offered to perform my surgery, but I opted to go to a different hospital and he was ok with that.
The first timed medicated cycle was with 2.5mg Femara. It should have been taken on days 3-7, but because of timing hiccups, I didn't get them until day 4, so I took 2 pills/day on days 4-7. Their protocol would have me do a day 12 ultrasound, and then give myself an Ovidrel trigger shot. Well I was out of town on day 12 and they would not authorize me to have an ultrasound out of town on a weekend, so I don't know how the medication worked on me, and I did not give myself the trigger shot. That cycle was a negative. The second timed medicated cycle was with 2 pills/day of 2.5 mg Femara on days 3-7. I had an ultrasound on Day 12 in their office. I usually don't ovulate until day 16, so I did not bring the trigger shot with me. I had one 22mm follicle and two smaller follicles. I should have triggered that night, but we had hotel reservations that night (being that my clinic is 2 hours away from home). The nurse said don't worry, you're going to ovulate anyway, so just have intercourse. That cycle was a negative. Dr Grainger never followed up with me for either of the cycles. I didn't know if this was normal, or what. But since we didn't do an ultrasound for the first cycle, I feel like we didn't even know if/how my body responded to Femara, so we wouldn't have known how to adjust the protocol.
In person, I felt like the nurses I met were very sweet and compassionate. However, I did feel like I met a lot of people in the office in the beginning and I was confused as to who was a nurse, who was my nurse, who was the insurance person, and who was the financial person. Once I started doing the medicated timed intercourse cycles, I think I was working with the IVF nurse at first. They seemed to know their stuff, but maybe weren't very compassionate or patient on the phone when I was confused about how/where to get a blood HCG test, and how I could get ultrasounds for monitoring when I wasn't coming 2 hrs each way for them. Maybe we should have discussed all this in the office when I was there in person? I guess I just didn't know what questions to ask and logistics to work out - and I would have liked the nursing staff to have brought that up while I was in office.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
Strengths: Dr Grainger was very kind and compassionate. Nurses seem knowledgable. Weaknesses: They close early on Fridays. If you live far away, they didn't explain the logistics you'll need to work out for monitoring if you don't come to the clinic. Especially if your day 12 happens to fall on a weekend. Nurses don't seem very compassionate on the phone and through email. I felt lost in the shuffle, and didn't know if there was a certain person I could call to just talk and discuss the game plan. I talked to one nurse and requested a copy of my records for myself and she said she would MAIL them to me and they couldn't be emailed. After weeks went by, I called again and spoke to a different person and she was able to scan and email them to me that day.
Monitoring Ultrasounds $160 IUI $250 Specimen Prep $250 Professional Fee for Physician to interpret ultrasounds done in other practices/locations... $50
Wichita

Dr Grainger is very busy but really took time to understand our case and explain things to us fully in our consultation and I believe he will as treatment plan changes in the future. He was kind, open and even shared personal stories of his family's infertility struggles and successes...Dr Grainger was willing to let us be as aggressive as we want. I feel comfortable making changes to the game plan and empowered to make decisions for ourselves. We were never pressured into anything we aren't ready for
Go in with an open mind. Dr Grainger was willing to let us be as aggressive as we want. I feel comfortable making changes to the game plan and empowered to make decisions for ourselves. We were never pressured into anything we aren't ready for
Dr Grainger really seemed to understand the individualties of us as a couple and adjusted our treatment plan individually.
We have unexplained infertility. At our consultation, Dr Grainger encouraged us to be as aggressive as we like, though we are both under 35. We first did 2.5 mg Letrozole, but no IUI due to office holiday closures. Cycle 2: Letrozole 2.5 mg with IUI OF 32 million washed sperm. Cycle 3: increased dosage to 5 mg Letrozole. IUI cancelled, due to low sperm count. Referred back to urologist and can't continue treatment until cleared by urologist.
When I have questions, I call and leave messages. They are very thorough. For our first IUI, I came in with questions and the nurse typed up the responses for me to have.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
Sometimes, it is frustrating to always have to leave messages and wait fora return call (as my phone doesn't have great service at work) but they take that time to confer with the doctors and make sure the information they give is accurate.
They went over our insurance and had us pay for most services upfront. The billing specialist called before the consult to let me know how much that would be ahead of time (about $250). For three IUIs, my insurance pays my side, but my husband paid $200 for the completed IUI cycle. I was billed for blood tests performed before starting meds each cycle.
Have not started these yet.

Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
I appreciated that he [Dr. David Grainger] listened, he showed compassion and he was considerate to the frustrations we had endured while under the care of another dr in the clinic. He recognised that we were not the typical couple and that the normal process was not what we needed. He answered all questions and let me vent when frustrated
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
I appreciated that he listened, he showed compassion and he was considerate to the frustrations we had endured while under the care of another dr in the clinic. He recognised that we were not the typical couple and that the normal process was not what we needed. He answered all questions and let me vent when frustrated
Go in knowing information. Research the treatments, th drs personality if possible. I made that mistake and ended up with the wrong dr the first time
He didn't treat me like a process. He looked into my history and listened to me
100 mg of femara/letrizole cd 3-7 Sonos starting cd 11 and every other day till follicles were ready Hcg trigger shot IUI two days later
I felt like there was a lot of different protocols and what they were looking for. In a matter of 24 hours I was told 3 different things on my follicles and what they were looking for in sperm for IUI.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
I love dr Grainger. I do not care for nurses as one is slightly rude and the other tells me different things every time I'm in there. The receptionists are nice and easy to work with. I do wish they would provide cloth blankets to cover up with when doing Sonos. Paper blankets aren't very comfortable
We are out of pocket payers. So far we have spent $1500. But are waiting on the costs for Sonos still
Wichita

He [Dr. David Grainger] is very experienced and it shows. He knows his stuff and is upfront about everything. He makes me feel very comfortable and doesn't hesitate to explain when I ask questions. Dr. Grainger is kind and gives you all the possible options that he can give you...As of now, only Clomid has been used as we are getting testing and labs done as well as seeing a reproductive urologist for my husband. He prescribed the Clomid which was a very low does after giving me the option.
He is very experienced and it shows. He knows his stuff and is upfront about everything. He makes me feel very comfortable and doesn't hesitate to explain when I ask questions. Dr. Grainger is kind and gives you all the possible options that he can give you.
Come with questions and dont be afraid to ask them.
He asked how I was doing not just physically but also emotionally. He is kind and reassuring and answers all questions. To him, no question is stupid or unreasonable.
Kind, quick moving, informative
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
Good doctor and nurses. Not the best at communication. I've had to call multiple times to inquire on information that I should have been called and told. This is a relatively small problem however. Just be sure to be your own advocate and call with questions.
About $1000 of testing to date (including Male and female).
Not applicable at this time
Wichita

Dr. Grainger and his staff go above and beyond to make you feel comfortable with this terrible journey. I always look forward to seeing them. They make you feel like a friend but aren’t afraid to be blunt with you as to not get your hopes up.... I do not produce eggs on my own. I have used oral medications to try to create follicles. When these did not work the doctor switched me right away to injections. Because of costs we have done several rounds of injections with times intercourse.
I have recommend friends and family members to seek help from him. He has made everything so much less stressful thru all of this.
You can see he genuinely cares about you. He’s cried with us and celebrated with us.
I do not produce eggs on my own. I have used oral medications to try to create follicles. When these did not work the doctor switched me right away to injections. Because of costs we have done several rounds of injections with times intercourse. We have also done two rounds of iui all of which have been unsuccessful.
We deal with the nurses on a regular basis and all of them are wonderful! They are competent and caring in everything they do.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
This clinic does a great job of getting you seen in a timely manner. We could do ultrasounds and blood work in the town where we live but it is 1/10th the price to drive 2 1/2 hours to this clinic (no joke!). I could not recommend this clinic more to anyone!
Initial consult $500 Ultrasounds $150 pet scan Lab work $100 iUI $400

2012 - 2017
Dr. Grainger is amazing! His compassion & bedside manner are beyond amazing! I've never trusted any doctor more than him. He takes the time to listen to any & all concerns & questions no matter how many.... IVF $9,500; 1 Year Embryo Storage $1,000; FET $2,000... Everyone at CFRM is amazing! They are all so compassionate!... Strengths - The entire staff including the lab are so kind, compassionate & understanding. They are your biggest cheerleaders & share in the joys & sadness with you. Weakness - None
2012 - 2017
Trust him completely & always ask questions.
Dr. Grainger is very kind & nurturing!
GONAL F Multidose Vial - 450IU NOVAREL - hCG 10,000IU CETROTIDE - cetrorelix 0.25mg PROGESTERONE - oil solution 50mg
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas. (Assigned nurse: Megan)
Everyone at CFRM is amazing! They are all so compassionate!
IVF $9,500; 1 Year Embryo Storage $1,000; FET $2,000

2007 - 2012
Endometriosis, Unexplained
He [Dr. Grainger] is a caring person. When I finally became pregnant I was scheduled to be out of state for work for three weeks (weeks 7-9 of my pregnancy). He gave me the phone number to a colleague of his in that city so that if I had issues I had someone to call...It’s been almost 12 years since I first started seeing him but I recommend him to anyone I know that is dealing with infertility. When we went back to start the process to have #2 I just happened to be six weeks pregnant already and didn’t know it. We found out during an ultrasound and Dr Grainger made the joke that he was just that good. I always felt that I wasn’t just another person trying to have a baby.
2007 - 2012
European, Latino
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Be prepared that he is either not taking new patients because he is full or may be retiring soon.
He is a caring person. When I finally became pregnant I was scheduled to be out of state for work for three weeks (weeks 7-9 of my pregnancy). He gave me the phone number to a colleague of his in that city so that if I had issues I had someone to call.
It’s been too long for me to remember specifics, but I remember trying IUI with Femara and then a cycle of IUI with injectables.
Unfortunately it was too long ago to remember. I do remember everyone being sensitive to the reason everyone had to visit their clinic.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
The atmosphere was warm and calm, and they were great at meeting our needs. I remember the lady who working in billing taking the time to explain what treatments were covered and what wasn’t, and discussing financing options so that we didn’t feel stranded to figure it out on our own.
Unsure, it’s been so long
Not applicable for my situation
Wichita

[Dr. Grainger] was very kind while explaining realistic expectations.... He answered all our questions and spent almost an hour with us at our first appointment. He explained all options of care in depth. His straight forwarded and caring approach was appreciated. I felt like he cared about my situation.... He only wanted to do single embryo transfer on me.... They [Ctr for ReproMed KS] are great about emailing or calling with information. They always returned my phone calls.
He is caring but direct.
He was very kind while explaining realistic expectations.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
They are great about emailing or calling with information. They always returned my phone calls. I appreciate how quick they were to get me in and out of my appointments. The office and nurses are friendly.
He only wanted to do single embryo transfer on me.