Medical SchoolBaylor
FellowshipDuke
3146 Deming Way
Middleton, WI 53562
608-824-0075
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend David Olive to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Wisconsin Fertility Institute to a friend?
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
He was amazing! Very understanding. He was knowledgeable and willing to go the extra mile. Positive yet realistic....Dr olive started with a mid range dosage of letrozole because I only have one Fallopian tube and he wanted me to ovulate on that side each month....he created a plan for a surgery to assess the stage of my endometriosis...Dr olive always looked for ways to save us money too... he is empathetic and compassionate.
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
How was your experience with David Olive at Wisconsin Fertility Institute?
He was amazing! Very understanding. He was knowledgeable and willing to go the extra mile. Positive yet realistic. He has also been through infertility so he is empathetic and compassionate. The entire clinic was amazing. Definitely would go again and would recommend!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Olive at Wisconsin Fertility Institute?
Go in with an idea of what your limits are financially and otherwise but also be willing to be flexible with yourself. Review the website before your consult and give some thought to where you would like to start and how fast you would like to go. Be flexible with this too.
Describe the protocols David Olive used in your cycles at Wisconsin Fertility Institute and their degree of success.
Dr olive started with a mid range dosage of letrozole because I only have one Fallopian tube and he wanted me to ovulate on that side each month. We then tried increasing the dosage because we weren’t seeing progress. We tried IUI but he suggested we stop and save our money because my husband’s sperm count was great. We really appreciated this and felt that he wasn’t just wanting us to spend our money. He cared about us. He is in it for the families, not the money. We took a break after that because I was starting a new job and wanted to focus. They were so understanding. When we went back he created a plan for a surgery to assess the stage of my endometriosis and to further assess the status of my remaining tube after my OBGYN performed a test on it (went through my OBGYN because it was cheaper) Dr olive always looked for ways to save us money too. In the meantime before the surgery he asked us if we wanted to try Gonal-f injections with the letrozole and the trigger shot. The trigger shot was used from our first cycle with the letrozole. He also gave us info about micro IVF. We decided to go ahead with the injections and that we would consider the micro ivf depending on the findings from surgery. I never had surgery because I got pregnant with the injections right away!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Wisconsin Fertility Institute. (Assigned nurse: Heidi)
The nursing staff was friendly, knowledgeable, patient, emphathetic, quick to respond, helpful, etc. seriously no weaknesses
Describe your experience with Wisconsin Fertility Institute.
My experience at this clinic was 10/10! Everyone was so eager to help and only wanted the best results for us! It was a great experience! Nursing staff was friendly and helpful. Administrative staff was knowledgeable. Insurance staff worked hard with insurance companies to save us money. Dr Olive and Dr Pritts are top notch. They work well together and worked well with my OBGYN from the Dean clinics. They were all going to operate together on my surgery but I got pregnant and never needed the surgery.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Olive at Wisconsin Fertility Institute.
Insurance covered a lot of things and what was not covered was reasonable. They worked with us on lab work, testing, and medications to find the best price. One of my Injections came from New Jersey because it saved me $500 to order from there. Dr. Olive’s staff took care of that order for me.
Middleton
We'd wasted nearly a year with Dr. Olive, doing medicated cycles that were all pointless, all because he refused our repeated requests for testing.
How was your experience with David Olive at Wisconsin Fertility Institute?
We went to WFI because it was the only place that was even minimally covered by our insurance. At first Dr. Olive seemed to care- our first appointment was over an hour long and we left feeing hopeful. But there were some red flags- he refused to do ANY testing (not so much as a blood draw) for me or my husband and said that since I'd gotten pregnant before on my own (which ended in miscarriage) tests were "probably not necessary." He just immediately prescribed a high dose of letrozole with an ovidrel trigger and specifically told me "not to bother" with ovulation tests. However, the date I was always told to trigger was always several days after my monitoring ultrasound and I was worried about missing ovulation. Each cycle I produced 3-4 follicles, but did not get pregnant. For a second time, I specifically asked about having a semen analysis for my husband and was told it wasn't needed. When we asked how long we would continue this protocol before making the decision to try something else, he just waved his hand (as though to wave off our concerns) and said "indefinitely!" He always refused to even discuss anything beyond the current cycle because "this cycle is going to be the one!" Finally on our 6th cycle I demanded IUI. At my monitoring ultrasound, the nurse said to make sure to do ovulation kits before triggering, to make sure I didn't miss ovulation (the opposite of what Dr. Olive had told us) and sure enough, I had a LH surge prior to trigger. So our timing with timed intercourse had likely been completely off for the previous 5 cycles. On the day of our IUI, my husband gave his sample and we were told to return in 2 hours, me with a full bladder. When we returned, we were kept waiting 20 minutes past our appointment time (with a very full bladder to the point I was in pain) while we could clearly hear the doctors and nurses joking around and socializing loudly in the hallway. When we were finally called back, I expressed frustration that we'd been kept waiting and the nurse apologized and tried to say the doctors had been "giving an inservice" for the nurses. We had heard everything- it was not an "inservice", it was a social conversation in the middle of the day with a waiting room full of angry patients. Clearly they have no regard for their patients or our time. We were then told that if the IUI wasn't successful, we needed to move on to IVF. Remember, at this point they'd done NO testing whatsoever, and WE had been the ones who pushed to be more aggressive and do IUI, and suddenly we were being told we needed a $15,000 procedure. That IUI was in fact unsuccessful, but by that time we were fed up with the poor treatment and switched to the other clinic in the area. This is relevant because once we went there, they immediately did all kinds of testing on both of us, and told us that the protocol Dr. Olive had me on should never have been done without testing first (due to several risks we'd never been informed of). We also found out that while my husband has a very high sperm count and motility, his morphology was only 1%, making our chances of conceiving without IUI or IVF very low. This means that we'd wasted nearly a year with Dr. Olive, doing medicated cycles that were all pointless, all because he refused our repeated requests for testing. Had testing been done from the beginning, we would have gone straight to IUI and IVF instead of wasting all that time and money. Also, if you look at the SART data for WFI, their IVF success rates are shockingly low, so even if we'd done IVF, chances are it would have been a very expensive failure.
Do not go to Dr. Olive at all. You will end up disappointed, frustrated, and broke.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Olive at Wisconsin Fertility Institute?
When we first started to see Dr. Olive, he seemed very compassionate. But as time went on, our visits became shorter and shorter and he acted annoyed whenever we tried to ask questions. He also openly mocked me and called me "OCD" because I'd done research on my own and was very knowledgeable about what testing I'd already had done and what the results were. We always left appointments feeling brushed aside and confused.
The nursing staff at WFI is far better than either of the doctors. They actually take the time to talk to patients and listen to concerns, and they are very knowledgeable.
What specific things went wrong at Wisconsin Fertility Institute?