9.8

Cornell

David Reichman works at

255 Greenwich Street

Treated 2018 - 2019
The Tribeca office staff [at Weill Cornell] always remembered my name...Hannah was Dr. Reichman's nurse, whom I worked with before she went out on maternity leave. She was always cheerful and willing to help, but in most cases she did not know the extent of my discussions with Dr. Reichman, so I preferred to speak directly with the doctor...Front desk is very friendly. I chose this clinic due to early monitoring hours before work
How was your experience with David Reichman at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr. Reichman was one of five REs in the NYC area my husband and I consulted with. He was optimistic with my case from the beginning, even when I felt pessimistic. I had come to see him having just experienced my very first pregnancy, which became a miscarriage at 10 weeks. I was emotional but had my heart set on doing everything possible to becoming pregnant again. I micromanaged him. I wanted to handle every aspect of my journey, from the IVF protocols to the timing of transfer. I second guessed his nurses constantly. I emailed Dr. Reichman incessantly with compromises, worries, and left-field inquiries. He almost always answered in detail, which is something that I have yet to come across in other NYC physicians who are as busy as he is. He did not have unlimited patience, but he was always willing to sit down and touch base with us to alleviate fears, or to set our patient-physician relationship back on track after an argument.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Reichman at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Advocate for yourself. Dr. Reichman is incredibly smart. If your requests are substantiated, he will compromise with you on reasonable grounds.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Reichman at Weill Cornell Medical College?
The Tribeca office staff always remembered my name, and Dr. Reichman kept detailed notes on my case.
Describe the protocols David Reichman used in your cycles at Weill Cornell Medical College and their degree of success.
We dove straight into IVF due to my diminished ovarian reserve. Dr. Reichman had pitched starting with IUI/letrozole, but he supported my more aggressive choice. I insisted on a natural start, resulting in 8 retrieved, 5 fertilized, and 4 frozen. We did not PGS test. The second cycle, he proposed using BCP. I was afraid of being oversuppressed and did not want to try this modification, but he assured me it would give good results. Unfortunately, I developed a lead follicle and he canceled that cycle. The third cycle, he proposed estrogen priming. I also fought him on this. Although I had 7 follicles going into retrieval, only 2 were retrieved. Both were alive at day 6, frozen, and confirmed to be PGS normal. I took some time off after the last cycle to undergo several back to back surgeries. In January of 2019, I insisted Dr. Reichman raise a request to the embryology lab for them to transfer the second-best graded frozen embryo in my batch. That FET resulted in my current pregnancy - I am due in three weeks.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Weill Cornell Tribeca - biggest pro is that the physician performs the monitoring ultrasounds. I was able to see Dr. Reichman at almost every single monitoring appointment during the week. In addition, the clinic is clean, and the calls from nurses during the cycle are consistent and organized. Front desk is very friendly. I chose this clinic due to early monitoring hours before work, and the fact that it was a 5 minute walk from my apartment. Weakness: you do not get to see your doctor on weekends and holidays unless he/she happens to be on call. My weekend treks up to the UES office were always much worse experiences (i.e., longer wait times, unfamiliar physicians, and several incompetent nurses).
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Weill Cornell Medical College.
If you are willing to be at the office right at 6:30, there is almost no wait time. I made it my priority to always be in by 7am, and never had an issue being late to work.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Reichman at Weill Cornell Medical College.
My husband and I are fortunate to both have some fertility coverage from work. During 2018 when we were banking embryos, we were on his insurance, which covered the entirety of the 1st and 2nd round. We paid about $15,000 out of pocket for the 3rd round.
Describe David Reichman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Dr. Reichman was adamant on single embryo transfer with me, citing my age and body type (slim/petite).
Tribeca
He [Dr. Reichman] can be blunt with the reality of things, but he does care about you getting success and knows his stuff. If you want someone with a super compassionate bedside manner he may not be the one for you, but he certainly takes his work seriously and is always positive yet realistic. If you are paying out of pocket, he also understands the great cost of IVF and takes that into account when recommending next steps, which I really appreciate.
In the Tribeca office [of Weill Cornell Medical College] it is a very pleasant experience even when crowded -- and it's never that bad. I don't think I have waited longer than 30 min to be seen and sometimes i get seen within 10 min...Approx 10K for egg retrieval (all monitoring included)...The Tribeca location is fantastic. It is calm, comfortable, and all new...The nurses are all very nice. It's so much better than the UES location! The receptionists are also very nice and helpful
How was your experience with David Reichman at Weill Cornell Medical College?
I came to Dr. Reichman from another doctor only because my insurance changed and it now covers IVF and the other place I was going doesn't take my insurance. Dr. Reichman agreed with the assessment of my other doctor (age-related infertility). Although I feel I got more compassionate "bedside manner" from the first doctor, I appreciate that I see Dr. Reichman for every monitoring visit (at the Tribeca Office). He may take a day or so to email back, but he always always responds to email. His answers are short but to the point. He's gives it to you straight so you have to be able to take that, but I have no doubt he knows that he's talking about! I feel I am in good hands for sure.
He can be blunt with the reality of things, but he does care about you getting success and knows his stuff. If you want someone with a super compassionate bedside manner he may not be the one for you, but he certainly takes his work seriously and is always positive yet realistic. If you are paying out of pocket, he also understands the great cost of IVF and takes that into account when recommending next steps, which I really appreciate.
Dr. Reichman sees me every visit (unless it is a weekend or he is off for a holiday), which I appreciate. He always seems to consider my case and our next steps carefully. He doesn't have the warmest bedside manner, and doesn't seem to plug into the emotional toll this takes, but he does lay out the numbers and realities and stays positive.
2 stimulation cycles. Both times mostly 150 menapure, 300 gonal f, then leuprolide added in. Egg retrieval and fertilization with ICSI using fresh sample. Waited the 5 days to see which embryos survived and did genetic testing on those that did. Cycle 1 - 10 eggs retrieved, 8 mature, 6 fertilized, 4 embryos genetically tested, 1 recommended for transfer. Cycle 2 - 7 eggs retrieved, 6 mature, 3 fertilized, 2 genetically tested - awaiting results. Still have not yet done an embryo transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Hannah)
Dr. Riechman's main nurse is fantastic. She always answers my questions and when I wanted to order fewer meds since i had to pay OOP as I hit my insurance limit, she worked with me on ordering just what was necessary. She's a pleasure every time I speak with her. Any other nurses that cover for her are also great.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
The Tribeca location is fantastic. It is calm, comfortable, and all new. It can get a little crowded during monitory hours but never too bad and they are really organized. The nurses are all very nice. It's so much better than the UES location! The receptionists are also very nice and helpful
In the Tribeca office it is a very pleasant experience even when crowded -- and it's never that bad. I don't think I have waited longer than 30 min to be seen and sometimes i get seen within 10 min.
My insurance paid for up to 40K of my expenses. After I hit my limit, I have to pay OOP. Approx 10K for egg retrieval (all monitoring included), 1K for ICSI fertilization, 4K for PGD/PGS testing. 1K hospital fee. Not sure what frozen embryo transfer will cost. Meds were covered by insurance but i think it cost 10K

Treated 2018 - 2020
We did 5 IUIs with Dr. Reichman with different types of medications from clomid to injectables with no success. We went through 5 rounds of IVF with him as well all with the antagonist protocol. During the first 3 cycles the dosing was similar - on the last two cycles he increased the Follistim since I had gained weight. Unfortunately, my egg quality was poor and I am a low responder.
I found it frustrating that no one on the team [at Weill Cornell] seemed to follow my case closely - you need to be your own advocate. I had to seek out acupuncture and supplements on my own as the clinic does not seem to include those in their regimen. I am incredibly disappointed with my results at the clinic. The first three unsuccessful cycles were attributed to my husband's poor sperm quality. We switched to donor sperm. The following three cycles were then attributed to poor egg quality. Frustrating to not know if egg quality played a role in the first three cycles and that we could have perhaps gone with a different protocol in cycles four through six based on that information.
How was your experience with David Reichman at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr. Reichman performed all ultrasounds during morning monitoring, which was great. It gave me an opportunity to see and speak with the doctor directly even if for a short amount of time. Dr. Reichman is also very accessible via email. He was always empathetic to my losses. I felt like he was always rushed and in a hurry. He has a matter of fact way of expressing information that does not always leave time to foster discussion or questions. Very intelligent and clearly wants to help his patients.
Arrive with your questions ready to go at your appointments.
Dr. Reichman has a very busy practice and while I was able to email with him frequently, I felt he may not understand my desperation at trying to conceive. He was always able to express sympathy, but never did much to think outside the box and change protocols. Since I have undergone so many cycles, staff did remember my name and face, which was comforting.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Christine)
Christine was alway responsive to emails, which is my preferred means of communication. She was always compassionate when delivering bad news, and had many helpful tips on purchasing meds, etc.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
The weekend monitoring hours on the UES are a cattle call, but they work very hard to get you in and out in a reasonable time period. I found it frustrating that no one on the team seemed to follow my case closely - you need to be your own advocate. I had to seek out acupuncture and supplements on my own as the clinic does not seem to include those in their regimen. I am incredibly disappointed with my results at the clinic. The first three unsuccessful cycles were attributed to my husband's poor sperm quality. We switched to donor sperm. The following three cycles were then attributed to poor egg quality. Frustrating to not know if egg quality played a role in the first three cycles and that we could have perhaps gone with a different protocol in cycles four through six based on that information.
I highly recommend arriving at the office exactly at 6:30 am to beat the rush, otherwise there will be a wait time.
I paid for one IVF cycle out of pocket, approximately $25,000. I also paid for IUI out of pocket. Prices significantly spiked in 2020 - in 2019 an IUI cost $750 and in 2020 I believe the cost was close to $1200.
Given my age he would only transfer a max of 2 embryos
Treated 2018 - 2019
However, he overlooked something that could have saved my husband and I months of trying to conceive. Since I was diagnosed with PCOS on my first visit to him, he assumed that the problem was me and therefore did not recommend that my husband get tested as well. ... we finally pushed for a semen analysis (although he didnt recommend it yet) and found out that my husband had a low sperm count, at which point Dr. Reichman recommended IUI.
busy office [Weill Cornell] and you have to come in early, sometimes a wait but never more than 30 minutes. And usually they take you within 5 mins of your arrival. ... eveyrone who works there is really nice and friendly. ... ALso sometimes you have to wait in the room for the doctor to come in for 10 mins but not more. usually very fast.
How was your experience with David Reichman at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr. Reichman is a great doctor and he clearly cares a lot about his patients and is very responsive. Also extremely bright and has a nice bedside manner. However, he overlooked something that could have saved my husband and I months of trying to conceive. Since I was diagnosed with PCOS on my first visit to him, he assumed that the problem was me and therefore did not recommend that my husband get tested as well. After 6 months of Letrozole (which worked very well for me and got me to ovulate on the first try) and not getting pregnant, we finally pushed for a semen analysis (although he didnt recommend it yet) and found out that my husband had a low sperm count, at which point Dr. Reichman recommended IUI. After 3 IUI's and still not pregnant, WE asked Dr. Reichman if he thought it would be a good idea to see a reproductive urologist and he said it couldn't hurt and gave us a recommendation. We ended up seeing the urologist who told my husband that he had a double varicocele on both testicles and he had surgery to remove them. Now it has been 3 months post surgery and still not pregnant but at our last IUI a week ago, his sperm count had trippled. Howeevr, no we are finding out that there may be another problem with his capscore (ability of sperm to fertilize the egg) and the only way to deal with that is through IVF, however we want to wait at least until 6-7 months post-op to start IVF. In my opinion, Dr. Reichman is a great doctor, but he should have told us from the start to get my husband tested, because you never know if its just one persons fault or both until you get tested. If I had a freind going to see Dr. Reichman, I would recommend that she push to have her husband get tested on the first visit to avoid any further complexities and to make the process go faster.
get your husband tested on the first visit even if he doesnt recommend it
Dr. Reichman is always extremely responsive to emails (answers usually right away) and questions I had while at the office for ultrasound appointments and bloodwork. However usually when I am there for ultrasounds the visit lasts less than 5 minutes and he doesn't ask if I have any questions and doesn't always explain what he's seeing in the ultrasound. However, when we first started seeing him, we had an hour meeting with him to discuss the plan and we just had another hour meeting with him to discuss potential IVF, in which he took the time to explain everything to us and answer any questions. He definitely treats me like a human and not just a number.
fFirst I just did letrozole and since i have PCOS I reacted really well to it and began ovulating on the first try. Did this for a couple months. Dr. Reichman says normal couples TTC have a 1/5 chance of getting pregnant every time so he thought we should do that for 5-6 months. 7th month we did IUI after finding out that my husband had low sperm count, although he probably wouldve waited to do another cycle or 2 without IUI if we hadnt done semen analysis of my husband. Then we did IUI for 6 cycles. last 2 IUI's I was on clomid instead of letrozole so I would ovulate more than one egg and have a better chance of conceiving
They were great, really responsive and nice and friendly.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
busy office and you have to come in early, sometimes a wait but never more than 30 minutes. And usually they take you within 5 mins of your arrival. ALso sometimes you have to wait in the room for the doctor to come in for 10 mins but not more. usually very fast. eveyrone who works there is really nice and friendly.
normal co-pay for ultrasounds, price depends on your insurance. my insurance didnt cover IUI, so we paid $750 out of pocket every time. Also HSG was around $250 that we paid out of pocket, but depends on your insurance and fertility benefits.

Treated 2018 - 2019
I would have liked to better understand what he [Dr. Reichman]/ we learned from each test and cycle. I often felt in the dark and my questions were answered but curtly and without elaboration...he was very matter-of-fact and direct. There were no elaborations, explainations were as minimal as necessary, he seems busy but always made time for pleasantries and to ensure I was OK. There were a few times I had to call nurses after the appointment for clarity on next steps.
[Experience with nurses at Weill Cornell was] Generally great but I had one major problem with billing that was in contrast to what the nurse told me...After my initial consultation the IUI nurse explained the process for submitting for insurance approvals and calling in and administering prescriptions. I was direcly told that I would not have to worry about insurance approvals and that Cornell handled that on my behalf. Unfortunately, they proceeded with my third IUI although my insurance denied it. They have billed me in full. Their stance is that upon my initial visit, I was read a script by their receptionist and asked to sign (many things) in acknowledgement before the Doctor would see me. In my state and the rush imposed, I may well have done so. It's a shame this is their practice and excuse. The billing representative I spoke with ("Supervisor") was condescending and rude - she seemed annoyed at my questions and had a "too bad" attitude. Once I had to call for a prescription order I was told was being placed - It was handled immediately after I called. I have requested my medical records (2+ weeks ago) and have not yet recieved.
How was your experience with David Reichman at Weill Cornell Medical College?
I felt he was competent and knew exactly what he was looking for and observing - I wish he shared more insight. I still do not understand why none of our attempts worked or if he had any understanding. Our first consultation was jarring because he assertively suggested IVF immediately (at 38 years old), but I can't blame him for my shock. Throughout, he was very matter-of-fact and direct. There were no elaborations, explainations were as minimal as necessary, he seems busy but always made time for pleasantries and to ensure I was OK. There were a few times I had to call nurses after the appointment for clarity on next steps.
Do your reserach before seeing him to understand potential outcomes, alternatives and questions to ask. He will competently answer all, but not necessarily offer excess info.
I did understand what tests were being done, nor the outcome or meaning. I would have liked to better understand what he/ we learned from each test and cycle. I often felt in the dark and my questions were answered but curtly and without elaboration.
We attempted three IUI, first two with Clomid and third with Letrozole. We monitored frequently (expensively) and I gave blood and had an ultrasound for consecutive days prior to procedure. Each time I recieved conflicting recommendations for when to have intercourse following the IUI. Each IUI attempt was unsuccessful and if there was any suggestion of explaination, I never heard it.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Generally great, reception is polite although a bit hasty and patronizing - I assume because of the volume of emotional women they deal with all day. Wait times can be up to an hour but for the most part were very quick and I felt the clinic did all possible to mitigate waiting. Facilities were clean and modern. Staff was all professional and friendly.
IUI was apx $5K per attempt, including monitoring.
What specific things went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Tribeca
Dr. Reichman performed a thorough work up of both me and my husband. He explained the tests. He was very friendly and we looked forward to our visits. On the occasions that I was particularly hormonal/emotional/struggling with what felt like a long period of treatment he was not overly supportive. I felt he was more comfortable at appointments if my husband was present. As part of treatment there are a lot of transactional ultrasounds and I found that he (as well as other male doctors) are less gentle than my subsequent experience of female doctors. That said, I fully trusted Dr. Reichman to get us the result we wanted - without question - and therefore was fine with the minor discomfort.
How was your experience with David Reichman at Weill Cornell Medical College?
If patients have worries about treatment or symptoms during treatment I recommend framing the question to Dr. Reichman as “this is happening - is this because of the fertility treatment or does this pose a challenge or risk to my cycle?”. Dr. Reichman is not a primary care physician so if any symptoms are not a result of, or will impact fertility treatment he will direct you to your regular doctor.
Dr. Reichman formed a relationship with us, asked after my husband on the occasions I had solo appointments. He was extremely responsive on emails, days, nights and weekend. He offered sincere condolences when cycles were not successful.
Gonal-F 900 IU Menopur 75 IU Cetrotide 250mcg HCG shot Lupron 2 week kit Progesterone in oil Medrol Z-pac
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Hannah Giamo)
My main nurse coordinator, Hannah, was very helpful with treatment and appointments and trying to resolve issues with my insurance coverage. The IVF training nurse was excellent, helpful and compassionate also. And the nurses that drew my bloods each day were skilled, gentle, upbeat and friendly.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
I trust the technical expertise of the Weill Cornell Centre for reproductive medicine completely. I trust their research and methods and skills at performing procedures. I was very happy with all procedures performed by the team of doctors including IUI, egg retrieval and transfers. On the other hand, the administrative/ billing team was not familiar with Aetna insurance which led to multiple, time wasting, and high stress instances of the admin team incorrectly telling me I was responsible for meds out of pocket when in fact I was 100% covered. At one point i was on vacation to de-stress from the cycles and them emailed to tell me i would be responsible for bills of $10k for medication - this was incorrect due to poor research on their part. (Dr. Reichman actually volunteered to help get it sorted by reporting the errors to the head of the Weill Cornell insurance billing team, who then worked with me directly). I also had billing issues, receiving bills for thousands of dollars, when I had already paid for a complete IVF package in full. This all got rectified, but was extremely time consuming and stressful.
Timing was convenient - early morning before work. Wait times were not an issue. Equally, I called once to say I was running late due to a subway breakdown and they calmly assured me I would be seen no problem when I would get there. If I had too many questions for a morning monitoring appointment, Dr. Reichman would arrange to see my husband and I later that day.
~$28k out of pocket
Dr. Reichman strongly encouraged elective single embryo transfer. I was happy with this approach.
Treated 2017 - 2018
He is, I would say, mostly focused on the fertility treatment as a direct option; he is less concerned with or focused on addressing underlying issues of infertility. ... During IVF, Dr. Reichman ordered a protocol of almost-daily monitoring (usually ultrasound and bloodwork). He was erring on the side of caution, which was a comfort, as I was at risk for ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS). ... He was very careful with my dosages to avoid OHSS and clearly explained the risks and possibilities.
Feels like a cattle call some mornings, most mornings are very efficient and painless, overall staff [Weill Cornell] is great--professional, friendly, efficient. You'll find the people you want to deal with on a regular basis. ... Had to pay out of pocket for all IUI treatments. There was a discount for same-day payments. ... I rarely saw my primary nurse and care coordinators in person, but they were available to me by phone. They are not responsive via email, phone is best.
How was your experience with David Reichman at Weill Cornell Medical College?
He is an excellent and extremely knowledgable medical professional. His manner is friendly but professional, and he is even-keeled and confident in his expertise. His interactions are straightforward and matter-of-fact with enugh warmth and compassion for the experience. I've always felt quite comfortable wit Dr. Reichman. However, morning monitoring hours are not the best time to ask Dr. Reichman detailed questions. He will answer them albeit slightly more brusquely than when you meet with him for a consultation or other appointments. He's very responsive over email. He is, I would say, mostly focused on the fertility treatment as a direct option; he is less concerned with or focused on addressing underlying issues of infertility. He is mission-driven and mission-focused. If you want a more holistic approach (that takes your body's fertility and health into more detailed consideration), Dr. Reichman may not be your first choice. He may be taking these factors into careful consideration, but that wasn't necessarily clearly communicated during my IUI and IVF processes. Overall, I've always trusted his advice, and he has always encouraged me to ask any questions or share any concerns.
Clearly communicate any and all concerns/questions you may have, even if they may seem minor or even if Dr. Reichman does not bring them up.
Monitoring hours are difficult for everyone involved. I'm not sure if anything can be done about these procedures (whether the lab can push back their hours), but it's early in the morning, there's a packed waiting room full of women being called in large batches; it feels like a cattle call. Dr. Reichman is slightly more brusque and rushed during monitoring hours (understandably so). He is patient enough to answer all questions, but there's a lot of pressure and urgency to get undressed, dressed, and ask questions efficiently and succinctly.
During IVF, Dr. Reichman ordered a protocol of almost-daily monitoring (usually ultrasound and bloodwork). He was erring on the side of caution, which was a comfort, as I was at risk for ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS). He prescribed low dosages of Gonal-F and Menopur, increased dosage, then lowered dosage by 10-15 units according to my bloodwork each day. I injected the trigger shot on day 14. Fourteen eggs were retrieved two days later. Five embryos were cryopreserved, one was a fresh transfer on day 5. The embryo successfully implanted. He was very careful with my dosages to avoid OHSS and clearly explained the risks and possibilities.
My primary nurse is great overall. Most of the nursing staff at Weill-Cornell Tribeca are great; most were friendly, professional, and very kind. One nurse (name is slipping my mind) who regularly drew my blood was very kind in particular. I rarely saw my primary nurse and care coordinators in person, but they were available to me by phone. They are not responsive via email, phone is best.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Feels like a cattle call some mornings, most mornings are very efficient and painless, overall staff is great--professional, friendly, efficient. You'll find the people you want to deal with on a regular basis.
Mostly efficient and convenient to my schedule (6:45-8:30 am). There were a few (mostly rare) occasions when it felt like a cattle call, long-ish wait, then rushed.
Yes, Dr. Reichman strongly recommended a transfer of a single embryo and explained the risks of multiple embryo transfer to my health and the embryo's chances of survival. I completely trusted his judgment and rationale. I appreciated that he is mission-driven and practices extreme caution. He wants to be able to deliver a healthy (as safe as possible) pregnancy, not a risky one.
What specific things went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
I didn't receive instructions one day, and I had to call the 24-hour line to chase after my instructions. Another day, my bloodwork hadn't been processed by the lab within the same day, but I wasn't made aware of that until the next day. I had to call the 24-hour line to chase after my instructions that day as well.