Good

8501 Arlington Blvd., Suite 500
Fairfax, VA 22031
703.876.0735

2017 - 2019, Unknown Success
On all but one occasion, I've felt positive about the direction I was headed after speaking with or meeting with him [Dr. David Saffon] I've been seeing him for almost 2 years, and I've learned that he is an eternal optimist. I struggle with his seemingly endless optimism sometimes...Be prepared for data-driven analysis. He will make his decisions based on the data...IUI cycle with Follistim. My response was better than any other so it was converted to IVF. 6 eggs were collected. 1 day 6 embryo that didn't take. I took more time off then went for another IUI, this time with Menopure. It was unsuccessful.
I wouldn't be at the clinic [Shady Grove Fertility-Fairfax] if it wasn't for their doctors. The clinic is updated, and the now has an IVF facility. The front desk is typically a mess and sometimes doesn't answer the phones. Most of the non-nurse, non-doctor staff, not all but most, treat you like a number. My financial advisor is nearly impossible to reach. You have to be proactive and stand up for yourself in an office that sees so many patients.
How was your experience with David Saffan at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Saffan shows he cares his patients. On several occasions he called late in the evenings or on weekends to check in on me. He explains the procedures, risks, and makes recommendations based on specific situations. On all but one occasion, I've felt positive about the direction I was headed after speaking with or meeting with him. I've been seeing him for almost 2 years, and I've learned that he is an eternal optimist. I struggle with his seemingly endless optimism sometimes.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Saffan at Shady Grove Fertility?
Be prepared for data-driven analysis. He will make his decisions based on the data. Also, if he seems overly optimistic, question why.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Saffan at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Saffan is invested in his patients. He often goes out of his way to make sure they are looked after. He has called me several times late in the evening and on weekends to check in. I've learned to be proactive when it comes to care at SGF though because it is easy to feel like a number there. I set up face-to-face meetings with Dr. Saffan when needed.
Describe the protocols David Saffan used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
For my first IUI, I was put on Follistim. This resulted in pregnancy and miscarriage. Dr. Saffan then recommended IVF. We jumped right into that after waiting a month. I was put on birth control for less than 3 weeks. I was put on typical medications. The cycle was converted to IUI due to only 1 follicle. After a negative test, I went right back into round 2 (no birth control). This had the same result. I took time off then went back to a Clomid cycle to see how I would respond. Same result on a side with no tube so we did TI. I took time off then started another IUI cycle with Follistim. My response was better than any other so it was converted to IVF. 6 eggs were collected. 1 day 6 embryo that didn't take. I took more time off then went for another IUI, this time with Menopure. It was unsuccessful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Danielle Kelly then Mary Hartman)
Danielle Kelly was great. She was a great communicator, and she had been through infertility herself so she could relate. Mary Hartman is okay at communicating but has failed to show compassion on numerous occasions. At one point, she told me that I had children (I do not). Another time when I asked about my 2 embryos, she told me "They've been thrown away".
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I wouldn't be at the clinic if it wasn't for their doctors. The clinic is updated, and the now has an IVF facility. The front desk is typically a mess and sometimes doesn't answer the phones. Most of the non-nurse, non-doctor staff, not all but most, treat you like a number. My financial advisor is nearly impossible to reach. You have to be proactive and stand up for yourself in an office that sees so many patients.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Saffan at Shady Grove Fertility.
Each monitoring appointment is about $200-$300 but was covered by my insurance. IUI was covered with insurance. One cycle of IVF is about $11,000 not including medication.
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
On more than one occasion, I've shown up for blood work and/or ultrasounds and my order has not been put in. I don't know where the failure occurs but it does.
2014 - 2016, Unknown Success
He [Dr Saffan] performed one IUI insemination. I rarely saw him during my monitoring appointments....During the consultation, Dr. Saffan, provided much more attention and gave sufficient explanation compared to my OB. He quickly went through the information and I had to ask clarifying questions to make sure I got everything. I felt less connected during the first consultation. After my miscarriages, I went back and he was much warmer and welcoming. His tone was very reassuring and gave me hope after a rough year.
They [team at Shady Grove in Annadale] are very organized and have a strong routine. For example, bloodwork and ultrasound monitoring is always done first thing in the morning. They do seems quite busy. I had to schedule my 3rd IUI with the Fair Oaks center because they were completely booked up. I have yet to be able to go in and out with a monitoring appointment. Instead I usually have to wait 20-30 minutes before they see me. I find it beneficial going in as early as possible when monitoring.
How was your experience with David Saffan at Shady Grove Fertility?
He performed one IUI insemination. I rarely saw him during my monitoring appointments.
Despite not seeing much of him, I do believe he, as well as all of the nurses and technicians at Shady Grove, have my best interests at heart.
To preface, I was originally diagnosed with unexplained infertility, so how it was perceived to me was each IUI cycle is almost a shot in the dark since they don't know the cause for the infertility. The first IUI was just with Clomid and then Ovidrel for the trigger shot, followed by progesterone. The second time I was switched from Clomid to Braville. Both did not result in a pregnancy. After two miscarriages, I am in the middle of the 3rd IUI treatment and took Gonal f instead of Clomid or Braville. Dr. Saffan also recommended I take FABB (folic acid supplement) and baby aspirin, stating that he usually recommended those supplements to those that have had miscarriages.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Chelsea)
Chelsea is amazing. She responds quickly to emails and listens intently to my needs. When we go over the cycle's schedule, she is thorough and explains everything clearly. I feel more human with her than anyone else I've encountered during this process. She makes you feel like she's giving you her entire attention and support. I love it!
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
They are very organized and have a strong routine. For example, bloodwork and ultrasound monitoring is always done first thing in the morning. They do seems quite busy. I had to schedule my 3rd IUI with the Fair Oaks center because they were completely booked up. I have yet to be able to go in and out with a monitoring appointment. Instead I usually have to wait 20-30 minutes before they see me. I find it beneficial going in as early as possible when monitoring.
My health care covers 50% of the costs associated with IUI procedures, which including medication, monitoring appointments, and IUI itself.

2013 - 2016, Successful
Dr Saffan was realistic in regards to our chances of getting pregnant with our own eggs, and let us be the guide in how quickly we proceeded to more intensive or alternative protocols. He never pushed us to move forward if we weren't ready...Dr Saffan was always available any time we had questions about the procedures or our path forward. He was caring and compassionate but was always blind and did not sugar coat things.
Shady Grove is a large fertility clinic and I think that a lot of people might feel like a number vs getting personalized service; however, I never felt that way. Yes, the waiting room was always crowded, but they had a very good system in place to process everyone quickly. The staff all knew me and I felt like I mattered...All of the nurses that I dealt with in my 3yrs of treatment were personable and compassionate.
How was your experience with David Saffan at Shady Grove Fertility?
If you're looking for someone that is warm & fuzzy, Dr Saffan probably isn't the right doctor for you. But if you're looking for a doctor that is going to work hard to help you reach your goal and be candid about your chances and his recommendations, I would highly recommend Dr Saffan.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: There were several during my 3yrs of treatment)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Monitoring appointments were a well-oiled machine and I was able to schedule first thing in the morning so that I was never late to work.
The majority of our costs were covers under our medical insurance so they wouldn't be applicable to most people - we were very fortunate that we didn't have to fully pay out of pocket.
2009 - 2012, Unsuccessful
He [Dr Saffan] is a straight shooter.... he will tell the truth and give you all the info to make your decisions. He spoke with me and my husband and explained all of my challenges and how to overcome them. In the end I had to readjust my diet and loose weight to have a better result for another possible IUI... He spoke to me yet I am a complicated case. He handled himself well.... The staff [Shady Grove- Annandale] was great they got to know me by name.
It [Shady Grove - Annandale] was welcoming and friendly and soothing. I was comfortable and welcomed. My husband was uncomfortable but when we came in to the office a lot of his concerns eased. I had to come back multiple time alone and it was always welcoming. The staff was great they got to know me by name....he [Dr. Saffan] will tell the truth and give you all the info to make your decisions.... He handled himself well.
How was your experience with David Saffan at Shady Grove Fertility?
He is a straight shooter.... he will tell the truth and give you all the info to make your decisions. He spoke with me and my husband and explained all of my challenges and how to overcome them. In the end I had to readjust my diet and loose weight to have a better result for another possible IUI
Please be willing to hear the truth.
He spoke to me yet I am a complicated case. He handled himself well.
I forgot I am so sorry
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Yes)
Very good and communicable
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
It was welcoming and friendly and soothing. I was comfortable and welcomed. My husband was uncomfortable but when we came in to the office a lot of his concerns eased. I had to come back multiple time alone and it was always welcoming. The staff was great they got to know me by name.
My insurance paid for most of my expenses so all I had to pay for was my copay and medicines
Describe David Saffan's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.