Nurse available by email
FellowshipU. of Connecticut
2 BATTERSON PARK ROAD
Farmington, CT 06032
(844 467 3483)
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend David Schmidt to a friend?

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical) to a friend?
3 IVF, 3 Embryo Freezing
I have completed three IVF cycles that resulted in 10 frozen embryos at the end. Dr. Schmidt started with less aggressive approach first and based on my response, changed the stimulation protocol that resulted in very successful third cycle. He encouraged our decision to do PGS test on our frozen embryos and explain pros and cons very clearly. He was successfully transferred single normal embryo and currently I'm 10 weeks pregnant. We are very happy and satisfied with the treatment options taken for us by Dr. Schmidt.
3 IVF, 3 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with David Schmidt at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical)?
Dr. Schmidt is the best. He takes time to explain everything in details and make sure we understand all the information. I felt safe and comfortable when treated by Dr. Schmidt. I highly recommend him to my friends and colleagues.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Schmidt at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical)?
Trust him.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Schmidt at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical)?
I was fortunate to have Dr. Schmidt and his team for my IVF treatment. During my treatment process I met doctors, nurses and staff members at CARS, and everyone was very helpful and friendly. They tried their best to make my journey as comfortable as possible.
Describe the protocols David Schmidt used in your cycles at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical) and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical). (Assigned nurse: Marsha Kennedy)
All the nurses I met at the CARS are very caring, friendly and helpful. I haven't met anyone who was rude, mean or consider me as a nuisance.
Describe your experience with Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical).
Overall environment is very pleasant. I particularly like the beautiful photo wall inside the clinic that shows photos of babies that came to this world because of the care of CARS team. It gives hope and bring positive thoughts to our stressful IVF journey.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Schmidt at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical).
My insurance covered costs associated with IVF treatment. We had to pay for embryo freezing, biopsy and PGS test.
Farmington
Dr Schmidt is wonderful. ... He is one of the few doctors anywhere that asks if I am comfortable or in pain during every procedure My husband always asks a thousand questions, even some which may sound stupid, but Dr. Schmidt answered them all patiently and with great understanding. ... As I am under 35, he was only able to transfer one embryo ... He is very knowledgeable and shows great compassion.
Dr Schmidt is wonderful. Even when seeing an outside acupuncturist for IVF-related reasons, the acupuncturist said Dr. Schmidt was the most compassionate doctor there. He is one of the few doctors anywhere that asks if I am comfortable or in pain during every procedure My husband always asks a thousand questions, even some which may sound stupid, but Dr. Schmidt answered them all patiently and with great understanding. He is very knowledgeable and shows great compassion. I truly believe that he is the reason we conceived twins during our second transfer.
Do not be afraid to ask questions, and write them down before you go because you may forget. Do not get discouraged if your initial plan does not work, Dr. Schmidt will find another way.
Our doctor was very patient with all of our questions. Even though there were several times spent with him that I was crying, he remained kind and supportive. He has a good, appropriate sense of humor and a positive attitude.
At first we used clomid and intercourse. Dr. Schmidt was then thinking about doing an IUI, but as we are self-pay he recommended going straight for IVF to get a better chance for our money. All my ultrasounds, bloodwork, and hysterosalpingogram looked clear at that point. Dr. Schmidt wanted to also do a water ultrasound. This showed that I had some small polyps. Dr. Schmidt performed surgery to remove them as they could cause miscarriage. Then the next month I was able to do egg retrieval and a fresh transfer. As I am under 35, he was only able to transfer one embryo at that point which did not result in a pregnancy. Three months later we did a frozen embryo transfer of 2 embryos (Dr. Schmidt said 2 was allowed now that the last transfer failed). We had a positive pregnancy blood test and when i went in for an ultrasound discovered both embryos implanted!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical). (Assigned nurse: Marsha)
Marsha was my primary nurse once I moved onto starting the IVF process. She was always patient and understanding even if I was calling multiple times. When my husband and I were pregnant, we were not even at the clinic to see Marsha that day, yet she came out to both of us hugging and congratulating us. She was there through all the times of tears as well.
Everyone there is friendly and ready to help. Most of the staff who draws blood is great even though I am a difficult draw. When I had my polyp removal surgery, someone called me everyday to see how I was feeling. if I ever felt something was wrong after treatment, surgery, or a transfer. there was always a doctor on call and they would always see me the same day. At times, going in for daily blood draws and ultrasounds had long waits, but later on the wait time did improve. They take your privacy seriously and go through great lengths to make you comfortable even when you're very nervous.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical).
The early morning (7:30-9) monitor hours are convenient for the schedules of most. Initially I could be waiting a long time if I did not get there right at 7 am. However, as time went on the wait time greatly improved.
I was self-pay for all costs. The clinic has a discounted self-pay range depending on income for IVF which includes all costs except medication (does include egg retrieval). We fell in the $10,500 bracket. Then the cost for self-pay frozen embryo transfer was $4,725.
Describe David Schmidt's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical).
What specific things went wrong at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical)?
Farmington

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with David Schmidt at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical).

IUI, 1 IVF
He [Dr. Schmidt] was a great communicator and always gave us realistic expectations. He never exaggerated possible outcomes in a negative or positive way. He was honest and worked with us to make tough decisions instead of making them for us or not providing the information we needed to make an informed choice....Dr.Schmidt took into consideration what medications he felt would be best and also how the cost would effect us as a family. This was very important to us. If medications were available that would serve the same function and were less money we went in that direction.
European, East Asian
IUI, 1 IVF
He was a great communicator and always gave us realistic expectations. He never exaggerated possible outcomes in a negative or positive way. He was honest and worked with us to make tough decisions instead of making them for us or not providing the information we needed to make an informed choice.
Be honest and up front with your expectations and be an active part of your IVF team.
He was extremely personable and talked to us like people and not just patients passing through. He knew all our specific details and created a plan based on not only our testing but our conversations and life style.
We used a variety of meds and protocols for each cycle. Dr.Schmidt took into consideration what medications he felt would be best and also how the cost would effect us as a family. This was very important to us. If medications were available that would serve the same function and were less money we went in that direction. He consistently monitored me through each cycle to make adjustments as needed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical). (Assigned nurse: Marsha )
She is an amazing nurse who truly feels compassion and connection to her patients. The entire staff made me feel like part of a family. They are all invested in the process and are just as excited to celebrate with you and also be there for you when things don’t work out.
The clinic works well and I feel like every staff members works as a team. I’m always impressed by their level of communication and knowledge of each case. In order to begin any treatment, you meet with the entire team including the financial analyst. They are very honest and upfront about cost and also provide resources.
The monitoring appointments were quick and well organized. Typically I would be in and out within 30 minutes. On a few occasions they were a little more backed up but the staff worked quickly to move everyone along and were apologetic for any delay.
The first 2 rounds including my retrieval were covered by insurance. The third and forth frozen transfers each cost 4,000, however it did not include medications which ended up being close to 2,000 for each round
Overall he did not recommend multiple egg transfer during our initial IVF. Once we had a running history of miscarriage and negative tests, it was recommended that we attempt a multiple egg transfer. From the beginning he was very honest about percentages for both single and multi egg transfers. There was always logic behind his recommendations.

PCOS, Unexplained
Sometimes he [Dr. David Schmidt] was a little too gentle and hopeful given our complicated situation. He cares so much and just wants the best for his patients. He gave us a number of different options and we’ve had many follow up appointments over the past 3 years...He can be a little optimistic even when we were very burnt out, sad, and frustrated. As a scientist myself, I understand the statistics behind things, and sometimes I wish he could sit with my anger and disappointment rather than be super positive. We might not ever get a baby, and sometimes there’s nothing science can do about it. That’s an important and honest thing to acknowledge.
PCOS, Unexplained
Sometimes he was a little too gentle and hopeful given our complicated situation. He cares so much and just wants the best for his patients. He gave us a number of different options and we’ve had many follow up appointments over the past 3 years.
Always very kind and compassionate and treated my wife and I like any other couple (we’re a same sex couple)
Our first pregnancy ended because our son had a fatal genetic disorder. We got pregnant right away, so this was a rude awakening to infertility. We did pgs testing on the remaining embryos and found 4 of the 5 had genetic issues. We tried two cycles of IUI with my wife but had a chemical pregnancy and then a negative outcome. Tried to transfer the final healthy embryo but it didn’t take. We did an exploratory uterine surgery on my wife to see if there was a physical reason for the lack of pregnancy. We didn’t find anything. She did a cycle with her eggs and we got 2 genetically normal embryos. Transferred one and it didn’t take. In the meantime, we tried a retrieval cycle with my eggs again, but we only got one embryo and the genetics were inconclusion. We’re waiting to start another transfer with the remaining healthy embryo.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical). (Assigned nurse: Kathy Varkal )
Kathy could not be a better nurse. She has taken us under her wing and shown us such care and compassion. We’ve been working with her close to 3 years and we’ve developed a strong bond with her. We feel like she’s almost family.
Strengths: Lots of doctors, close off the highway so it’s easy to get to, have financial and insurance people there to work with you. Weaknesses: Lots of patients so it’s very very busy, some front staff are a little confused sometimes
Sometimes it took so long that I’d be there over an hour waiting and my whole day was thrown off schedule.
Insurance covered most of our procedures. About $1,000 for freezing, $1,400 for transferring my embryo to my wife, and $150 a quarter for storage of embryos.
2013 - 2014
Schmidt utilized visuals to help explain procedures, and had a very personable manner. At our initial visit and exams, he said "let's get you two on your way to having a baby!" in a way that felt believable (and ultimately proved to be)...Schmidt utilized visuals to help explain procedures, and had a very personable manner. At our initial visit and exams, he said "let's get you two on your way to having a baby!" in a way that felt believable (and ultimately proved to be)...A corny joke or two? This isn't a bad thing; it's good to be treated by a human.
2013 - 2014
Dr. Schmidt had a warm, positive attitude in each visit and procedure.
After diagnostics showed we had unexplained fertility, Dr. Schmidt preceded with treatment right away. We were surprised to start IVF right away, and expected to go through other treatments first, a la "see if this works first," but later were relieved that we did what we did. It was nice to feel like the Dr. was taking our case seriously.
Before the very detailed regime of fertility drugs, Marsha was great at keeping us organized. When news wasn't good (low numbers after implantation) Marsha said it wasn't great, but not impossible, and recommended we relax in the two days before our next blood test. Indeed we did have a late bloomer, that did keep multiplying (and is now a toddler). Marsha was the perfect mix of realistic but warm.
This clinic provided us a full educational regime of procedure explanations, multiple diagnostic procedures, and online resources to help train us in medicine use (which shots are in skin, which are inter muscular). They were upfront in recommendations, and we chose to follow (inter muscular medicine verses vaginal suppositories; single egg implantation of day 5 hatches, not drinking through treatment, etc.). It all proved successful. Cost is high, but insurance was happily accepted. Lots of shots and vaginal ultrasounds, with partner welcome in most visits, including the day we saw her heartbeat for the first time. Calls returned in a timely manner!
Insurance covered the majority of treatments (diagnosis, extraction and implantation, monitoring visits) except for embryo freezing.
Hartford

Male Factor, Other
Dr Schmidt was the first doctor I felt like really listened to me. He took the time to hear my story, diagnose and the explain. He’s optimistic and comforting and assured me that he would work with us to get us pregnant.... I have no complaints about Dr Schmidt. He made me feel at ease, always answered all my questions and took time with my husband and I. His nurses were also great and understanding. The Center is a great place of support and everyone there is willing to work with your situation to get the outcome you’re looking for.
Male Factor, Other
Ask questions and be detailed. He’s a doctor who is willing to take tome with you to fully explain everything so take him up on that.
I’m at the start of my treatment and we’ve taken a break to save up for a cycle.
He nurses were great and very supportive
The Center is great and very supportive. Weakness is that they text and email you all the time asking you to share them on social media. Our fertility journey is private, so we don’t plan to do that.
Dr Schmidt told us they try not to do multiple embryo transfers
2013 - 2016
3 IUI, IVF, 2 Egg Freezing, 2 Embryo Freezing
Despite not having a positive pregnancy yet, we feel 100% comfortable & confident in Dr. S. hands. He has a bed side manner that I thought didn't exist anymore, always going above & beyond to make sure we are comfortable with our treatment....He has never rushed a phone conversation or an appointment, always answering every question we both had.
2013 - 2016
3 IUI, IVF, 2 Egg Freezing, 2 Embryo Freezing
Don't wait, call & schedule your appointment ASAP as this process takes time!
I have always felt a personal connection & investment from Dr. S. He has never rushed a phone conversation or an appointment, always answering every question we both had.
Marsha is very thorough with her communication.
Strengths: Their open 363 days a year, value our overall health incorporating programs like yoga at the center. Veronica on Dr.Schmidt's team is one of their strongest assets, she's gone above & beyond for us! Weakness: The long waits for morning bloodwork & ultrasounds, understandable but still long.
Well oiled deli counter line.

2012 - 2016
[Dr Schmidt was] never in a rush to move onto the next patient, took extra time and care to answer any questions i had, personally called me a few days after egg retrieval to see how i was feeling...First come first serve...some days were super fast while others there was a lengthy wait due to patient volume
2012 - 2016
Highly recommend him, very kind, caring and patient. Very gentle
Dont waste any more time, call him!
Never in a rush to move onto the next patient, took extra time and care to answer any questions i had, personally called me a few days after egg retrieval to see how i was feeling
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical). (Assigned nurse: Jenny, marsha)
Amazing!!
New, clean, friendly, professional, compassionate