La Jolla IVF

Medical SchoolTel Aviv U.
ResidencyU. of Albany
FellowshipGeorge Washington
9850 Genesee Ave
La Jola, CA 92037
(858) 558.2221
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend David Smotrich to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 100%9.5

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend La Jolla IVF to a friend?
2016 - 2019
PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
The doctor [Dr. Smotrich] genuinely cared about our results and experience. As we started to encounter difficulties ... in responses to medications, with diminished egg quality ... he shared and empathized with our setbacks. He also consistently followed up with my wife before, during and after retrievals.... an excellent doctor versed in the latest procedural and scientific details. ... Single embryo transfer because of my wife's physical size, age and PCOS.
2016 - 2019
PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with David Smotrich at La Jolla IVF?
First and foremost - an excellent doctor versed in the latest procedural and scientific details. We know this because, as we encountered difficulties with my wife's PCOS, the secondary opinion we received 100% backed up his analysis and approach. He is straight-forward, friendly, dedicated and communicative.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Smotrich at La Jolla IVF?
Don't be afraid to ask questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Smotrich at La Jolla IVF?
The doctor genuinely cared about our results and experience. As we started to encounter difficulties ... in responses to medications, with diminished egg quality ... he shared and empathized with our setbacks. He also consistently followed up with my wife before, during and after retrievals.
Describe the protocols David Smotrich used in your cycles at La Jolla IVF and their degree of success.
Lower-dose gonadotropin regimen with 'coasting', due to my wife's sensitivity to drugs. With her PCOS, she almost over-stimulated very quickly during our first retrieval. Dr. described my wife as 'lowest dose' he's ever prescribed. The coasting allowed for improved egg quality by our third retrieval, evidenced in higher Day 5 embryo PGS.
Describe your experience with your nurse at La Jolla IVF. (Assigned nurse: Amy Williams)
His nurses and the front-of-house organization team is beyond the best. If I could rate 11s, I would.
Describe your experience with La Jolla IVF.
Strengths: if you're looking for high-quality care in a clean, friendly, intimate setting with the resources of a world-class hospital, go here. The doctor is a talented physician. And you could not ask for more empathetic or friendly nurses to help you through the process. Weaknesses: it's difficult to say as this was the only clinic we used, so we have no basis for comparison. Our frustrations had more to do with being unaccustomed to the difficulties we would face trying to conceive. Things like bad PGS results, etc. None of which were the doctor or clinic's fault. Because the office is small, there is only one doctor and he is not a female doctor. If you believe you, your wife, partner or spouse would respond better to the care and oversight of a female physician, you should look elsewhere.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Smotrich at La Jolla IVF.
Describe David Smotrich's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at La Jolla IVF.
Single embryo transfer because of my wife's physical size, age and PCOS.
La Jolla

I'm 38y with low AMH. ... He [Dr. Smotrich] leans toward multiple embryo transfer (2) due to the higher success rates due to my age. ... He is very clear, concise, and easy to understand. I really like his approach during the appointments as he writes everything down at each visit and then goes over it with me in detail to ensure I understand. ... As a result, I feel confident that he is treating me specifically and not a number; as a result, I haven't had to self advocate.
How was your experience with David Smotrich at La Jolla IVF?
I'm in my first IVF stimulation cycle, about to undergo egg retrieval. I've had a very positive experience to-date. Dr. Smotrich is very confident in his methods and I can see why as I'm having success with my 1st stim protocol. I appreciate that when I ask questions, about how things could go wrong, he redirects me and assures me that in my case such issues are not expected. He is very clear, concise, and easy to understand. I really like his approach during the appointments as he writes everything down at each visit and then goes over it with me in detail to ensure I understand. The detail has helped relieve my anxiety about next steps and expectations. I'm grateful for his knowledge, experience, patience and encouragement.
Ask questions as he is will take his time to answer them for you.
Dr. Smotrich, greets both my husband and I by name. Each time we meet he discusses specific details relating to my case and my past experiences. As a result, I feel confident that he is treating me specifically and not a number; as a result, I haven't had to self advocate. Although he is personable and kind, I appreciate that he gets right to the point but leaves me time to ask questions and I never feel rushed. He is also very encouraging which helps during my 1st IVF cycle as I'm not sure what to expect.
I'm 38y with low AMH. My protocol consisted of Menopur, Gonal-F, and Ganirelix. On day 11, I produced 15 follicles 19-20mm- success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at La Jolla IVF. (Assigned nurse: Lupe)
Lupe and the rest of the staff were all very helpful and very organized. All appointments went smoothly. I appreciate that when I called she always called me back to answer my questions. The staff was very helpful with training me on all the injections. When I asked for receipts for credit card charges they produced them immediately.
Describe your experience with La Jolla IVF.
I think I've covered it. Strengths: organized, everything runs smoothly from the patient perspective, you don't feel like a number, Dr. is very detailed and writes everything down to ensure the patient understands. Weaknesses: I haven't identified anything yet.
Costs were clearly broken down and were comparable to other clinics.
He leans toward multiple embryo transfer (2) due to the higher success rates due to my age.
La Jolla

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with David Smotrich at La Jolla IVF.