Available by cell phone
Doctor personal cell phone
Medical SchoolTel Aviv U.
ResidencyU. of Albany
FellowshipGeorge Washington
9850 Genesee Ave
La Jola, CA 92037
(858) 558.2221
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend David Smotrich to a friend?

3 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing
Dr Smotrich has been extremely supportive/compassionate throughout our fertility journey. Never once have we questioned his treatment plan for us. He has always been extremely informative and has never pushed us one way or the other as far as decision making as to what our next step is, but makes sure we are completely informed to be able to make our best decision. We will forever be grateful for Dr Smotrich and his team...
Our nurse coordinator [at La Jolla IVF] was very organized; she made sure we had everything we needed in advance and always anticipated our needs. Any time I contacted her she was very quick to respond and always took care of anything we needed...we’ve never had a negative experience. Every staff member has been extremely compassionate and caring. The nurses are great at educating and making sure you are comfortable and confident with the medication administrations and making sure you have all your appointments set up.
3 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing
How was your experience with David Smotrich at Eden Centers for Advanced Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Smotrich at Eden Centers for Advanced Fertility?
I can not think of anything in particular due to the fact that I believe Dr Smotrich is truly the best at what he does. You will be treated like family, all of the staff truly care about you and go out of their way to support you throughout your fertility journey.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Smotrich at Eden Centers for Advanced Fertility?
From our consultation, to three egg retrieval’s and one embryo transfer, Dr Smotrich and his entire staff have treated us like family and have provided us with an incredible amount of support. Dr Smotrich has patiently walked us through our fertility journey, taking time to address all our concerns and questions with compassion. He never rushes through an appointment and always makes us feel like we are his top priority. His knowledge and expertise in his field truly shows through and has brought us so much comfort during this tough journey!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Eden Centers for Advanced Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Amy Williams )
Our nurse coordinator was very organized; she made sure we had everything we needed in advance and always anticipated our needs. Any time I contacted her she was very quick to respond and always took care of anything we needed. She makes an effort to truly connect with you and is very supportive and compassionate. All of the nursing staff are extremely caring and have a great bedside manner.
Describe your experience with Eden Centers for Advanced Fertility.
We have been with La Jolla IVF for about a year and a half and we can honestly say we’ve never had a negative experience. Every staff member has been extremely compassionate and caring. The nurses are great at educating and making sure you are comfortable and confident with the medication administrations and making sure you have all your appointments set up.
Describe David Smotrich's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Eden Centers for Advanced Fertility.
From our experience, Dr Smotrich will inform you what he recommends doing due to the risks/benefits so you can make an informed decision.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with David Smotrich at Eden Centers for Advanced Fertility.

David Smotrich is a man of integrity, dedication and professionalism. ... I, the male had an undeveloped Vas Deferens. ... I can tell he is in high demand, with a lot of responsibilities, but he has worked weekends, mornings, and late nights as needed to see our procedures through. ... We requested to have 2 embryos transferred at once, as we do not want to have to go through IVF again, and desire 2 children. He is on board with our plan and did not advise us otherwise, simply made us aware of the risk and everything else involved in the procedures.
Primary nurse [La Jolla IVF] helped thoroughly explain the use of medications and injections. Took our blood samples, and aids in the ultrasound check ups. She is encouraging, passionate, kind and educated. ... They remember us by name every time we go in, and the nursing staff even gives my wife hugs out of their pure excitement for us to get pregnant.
David Smotrich is a man of integrity, dedication and professionalism. We are just one of who knows how many clients he has, and we have consulted with him every single visit thus far. I can tell he is in high demand, with a lot of responsibilities, but he has worked weekends, mornings, and late nights as needed to see our procedures through. I think he has worked 70+ days in a row, which shows not only his dedication to his responsibilities, but it shows his passion for what he does, and is obviously one of the best in the game.
Trust his opinion. Everything he thought was the case, ended up being the case. A true professional with much wisdom and experience.
Dr. Smotrich and his team go above and beyond to make us feel comfortable and to ensure our understanding of every process. They remember us by name every time we go in, and the nursing staff even gives my wife hugs out of their pure excitement for us to get pregnant.
Describe the protocols David Smotrich used in your cycles at Eden Centers for Advanced Fertility and their degree of success.
Our story was I, the male had an undeveloped Vas Deferens. Through semen analysis via La Jolla IVF and Genetic Testing, DR. Smotrich referred me to a Urologist Dr. Bastuba. Long story short, we loved his referral, he nailed the problem, we retrieved my sperm, Dr. Smotrich retrieve my wifes eggs and all said and done we have 7 healthy embryos for transfer. Our transfer date is in 3 days and everything is going perfectly. The injections and medications have always been well directed, and dosages adjusted accordingly. He knows what he's doing.
Primary nurse helped thoroughly explain the use of medications and injections. Took our blood samples, and aids in the ultrasound check ups. She is encouraging, passionate, kind and educated. Great nurse
Describe your experience with Eden Centers for Advanced Fertility.
Very organized and professional clinic with all around good doctors, lab techs, nurses, and staff. Only issue was the time of response from the front office staff on getting some requested documents, but this was due to that person being on vacation at the time of the request.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Smotrich at Eden Centers for Advanced Fertility.
Roughly $18,000 through this point. Includes initial bloodwork, genetic testing, semen analysis, all ultrasound and bloodwork appointments, cost of IVF, cost of Egg Retrieval surgery, lab cost to create/ test embryos, cost of medications through this point.

2016 - 2019
PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
The doctor [Dr. Smotrich] genuinely cared about our results and experience. As we started to encounter difficulties ... in responses to medications, with diminished egg quality ... he shared and empathized with our setbacks. He also consistently followed up with my wife before, during and after retrievals.... an excellent doctor versed in the latest procedural and scientific details. ... Single embryo transfer because of my wife's physical size, age and PCOS.
Because the office [La Jolla IVF] is small, there is only one doctor ... nurses and the front-of-house organization team is beyond the best. ... Strengths: if you're looking for high-quality care in a clean, friendly, intimate setting with the resources of a world-class hospital, go here. ... If you believe you, your wife, partner or spouse would respond better to the care and oversight of a female physician, you should look elsewhere.
2016 - 2019
PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
First and foremost - an excellent doctor versed in the latest procedural and scientific details. We know this because, as we encountered difficulties with my wife's PCOS, the secondary opinion we received 100% backed up his analysis and approach. He is straight-forward, friendly, dedicated and communicative.
Don't be afraid to ask questions.
The doctor genuinely cared about our results and experience. As we started to encounter difficulties ... in responses to medications, with diminished egg quality ... he shared and empathized with our setbacks. He also consistently followed up with my wife before, during and after retrievals.
Lower-dose gonadotropin regimen with 'coasting', due to my wife's sensitivity to drugs. With her PCOS, she almost over-stimulated very quickly during our first retrieval. Dr. described my wife as 'lowest dose' he's ever prescribed. The coasting allowed for improved egg quality by our third retrieval, evidenced in higher Day 5 embryo PGS.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Eden Centers for Advanced Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Amy Williams)
His nurses and the front-of-house organization team is beyond the best. If I could rate 11s, I would.
Describe your experience with Eden Centers for Advanced Fertility.
Strengths: if you're looking for high-quality care in a clean, friendly, intimate setting with the resources of a world-class hospital, go here. The doctor is a talented physician. And you could not ask for more empathetic or friendly nurses to help you through the process. Weaknesses: it's difficult to say as this was the only clinic we used, so we have no basis for comparison. Our frustrations had more to do with being unaccustomed to the difficulties we would face trying to conceive. Things like bad PGS results, etc. None of which were the doctor or clinic's fault. Because the office is small, there is only one doctor and he is not a female doctor. If you believe you, your wife, partner or spouse would respond better to the care and oversight of a female physician, you should look elsewhere.
Single embryo transfer because of my wife's physical size, age and PCOS.
+ Read more- Read less

I'm 38y with low AMH. ... He [Dr. Smotrich] leans toward multiple embryo transfer (2) due to the higher success rates due to my age. ... He is very clear, concise, and easy to understand. I really like his approach during the appointments as he writes everything down at each visit and then goes over it with me in detail to ensure I understand. ... As a result, I feel confident that he is treating me specifically and not a number; as a result, I haven't had to self advocate.
Costs were clearly broken down and were comparable to other clinics. ... When I asked for receipts for credit card charges they [La Jolla IVF] produced them immediately. ... Lupe [nurse] and the rest of the staff were all very helpful and very organized. All appointments went smoothly. I appreciate that when I called she always called me back to answer my questions. The staff was very helpful with training me on all the injections.
I'm in my first IVF stimulation cycle, about to undergo egg retrieval. I've had a very positive experience to-date. Dr. Smotrich is very confident in his methods and I can see why as I'm having success with my 1st stim protocol. I appreciate that when I ask questions, about how things could go wrong, he redirects me and assures me that in my case such issues are not expected. He is very clear, concise, and easy to understand. I really like his approach during the appointments as he writes everything down at each visit and then goes over it with me in detail to ensure I understand. The detail has helped relieve my anxiety about next steps and expectations. I'm grateful for his knowledge, experience, patience and encouragement.
Ask questions as he is will take his time to answer them for you.
Dr. Smotrich, greets both my husband and I by name. Each time we meet he discusses specific details relating to my case and my past experiences. As a result, I feel confident that he is treating me specifically and not a number; as a result, I haven't had to self advocate. Although he is personable and kind, I appreciate that he gets right to the point but leaves me time to ask questions and I never feel rushed. He is also very encouraging which helps during my 1st IVF cycle as I'm not sure what to expect.
I'm 38y with low AMH. My protocol consisted of Menopur, Gonal-F, and Ganirelix. On day 11, I produced 15 follicles 19-20mm- success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Eden Centers for Advanced Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Lupe)
Lupe and the rest of the staff were all very helpful and very organized. All appointments went smoothly. I appreciate that when I called she always called me back to answer my questions. The staff was very helpful with training me on all the injections. When I asked for receipts for credit card charges they produced them immediately.
Describe your experience with Eden Centers for Advanced Fertility.
I think I've covered it. Strengths: organized, everything runs smoothly from the patient perspective, you don't feel like a number, Dr. is very detailed and writes everything down to ensure the patient understands. Weaknesses: I haven't identified anything yet.
Costs were clearly broken down and were comparable to other clinics.
He leans toward multiple embryo transfer (2) due to the higher success rates due to my age.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Smotrich is a confident and experienced Dr. ... he didn't offer us much in the way of educated theories about the actual diagnoses. We have a couple of red flags in our work up testing and 3 IUI cycles that seem like they'd be enough to more thoroughly explain our issue ... Dr. Smotrich also had a unique take on the drug Femara, which was the choice of our original RE based on my history of light/glare triggered headaches so Clomid was ruled out. At the time of our treatment, he did not use Femara as an alternative to Clomid and expressed he did not approve of it for this off label use. In our case, we went to injectables on his recommendation, and I'm glad we did, because while my ovarian reserve was still strong at that time, I seemed resistant to ovarian stimulation. Based on my online reading about the popularity of Femara, I found his take unusual, but I did trust his professional opinion.
Parking [at La Jolla IVF] is terrible. The lot is crowded and hard to get back to. The building and office is nice. ... I hesitate to call this a "clinic" in the commonly used sense as its one Dr.'s practice and his support staff. That is nice, as you get feeling very comfortable with the small group right away. ... There were definitely some huge positives with their practice. It is just that in the end, I'm not sure it was the best fit for me based on some conflicting information regarding protocols (Femara being passed up) and no real effort to describe our fertility issues other than an off-hand comment from a nurse regarding a cystic ovary. ...
Dr. Smotrich is a confident and experienced Dr. He explains the chances of conception well. He takes you back to his non-clinical part of the office to sit and discuss questions, treatments etc. However, he didn't offer us much in the way of educated theories about the actual diagnoses. We have a couple of red flags in our work up testing and 3 IUI cycles that seem like they'd be enough to more thoroughly explain our issue, but he did not attempt to loop us in to that discussion. I don't like when health professionals don't attempt to explain technicalities. Dr. Smotrich also had a unique take on the drug Femara, which was the choice of our original RE based on my history of light/glare triggered headaches so Clomid was ruled out. At the time of our treatment, he did not use Femara as an alternative to Clomid and expressed he did not approve of it for this off label use. In our case, we went to injectables on his recommendation, and I'm glad we did, because while my ovarian reserve was still strong at that time, I seemed resistant to ovarian stimulation. Based on my online reading about the popularity of Femara, I found his take unusual, but I did trust his professional opinion.
He could seem a little "old school" in his practice. There are definitely photos of multiples (3+) all over his office which is a little off-putting in today's infertility world where the goal is for healthy singleton pregnancies with occasional chances of twins.
Its a small practice. You are definitely always remembered and you usually see the same people each time.
As my previous RE had for my first two IUI's Dr. Smotrich ruled out Clomid. However, he does not use Femara in his practice, and I was having limited success stimulating ovulation anyway, so he said we should move to injectables. I followed the injectable protocol including trigger. After the IUI procedure, bloodwork was done. When my levels came back, he recommended oral progesterone and estrogen. I had my blood taken again, and I received a call that my estrogen was still unreasonably low for supplementing with it. This IUI did not result in a positive pregnancy test. It was the first time I had the side effect of hair loss during and IUI cycle.
Most of the staff seems to be engaged in logistics, records etc. The Dr. does do a lot of the patient care himself. One staff member though that did an ultrasound of my ovaries, was the first person in all my years of treatment and other gynecological experiences to feel I showed the signs of PCOS based on an ovary appearing cystic. I haven't had that verified by anyone else, and I have had a subsequent ultrasound that was not fertility treatment related and they did not agree my ovaries appeared cystic. I was curious about her feeling empowered to "diagnose" as a nurse. And perhaps she was looking at a cystic ovary at that time, but the way it was told to me as an off-hand comment was confusing. In my experience with other medical specialities, nurses do not diagnose and diagnoses aren't made without follow up information.
Describe your experience with Eden Centers for Advanced Fertility.
Parking is terrible. The lot is crowded and hard to get back to. The building and office is nice. It is very quiet and serene. I hesitate to call this a "clinic" in the commonly used sense as its one Dr.'s practice and his support staff. That is nice, as you get feeling very comfortable with the small group right away. My original RE is in a more shared clinic setting with multiple doctors and multiple locations.
It was billed as a single IUI cycle. One large payment. It has been a few years to give a good recount of that total. It was more expensive than the larger more well known clinic in our region that we started with for 2 IUI's
While I was not an IVF patient, I saw more photos in the halls and waiting room than I felt comfortable with of 3+ babies (with certainty I saw one with four babies) but I think the rest were so many triplets and twins, and fewer singletons. I would be interested to hear more about his approach based on these "brag" photo displays.
What specific things went wrong at Eden Centers for Advanced Fertility?
+ Read more- Read less

He [Dr. Smotrich] has put me on progesterone and estrace, gonal f, and chlomid. Non resulted in pregnancy...Dr had a strong preference that I stop iui and go to ivf...would be in a rush to see other patients so he would cut you off when you tried to talk...He had a plan and stuck to it. Every failed iui he would say the next one will be it. Then after so many failed IUI’s he said we need to do ivf but we don’t have the funds to do that. He was clear about the process of IUI’s. He had trouble with the vaginal ultrasound machine. It was painful because he would jerk it around a lot because he could see what he needed to see. Eventually he’d tell the nurse to close the blinds so he could see better. After I was in pain.
The cost for an iui alone [at La Jolla IVF] was 1300, the gonal f was a few hundred dollars. They had a pharmacy in the same building...The Clinic was very clean and very organized. The wait time varies. I waited for 5 minutes on some visits and the. Maybe 20 minutes for other visits. They try and get you in and out as quickly as possible...The nurses were the best thing about the clinic. One nurse went above and beyond with the patients. They talk to you like a friend
They are expensive and money comes first to them. But they are good at their job.
Dr would be in a rush to see other patients so he would cut you off when you tried to talk
I don’t remember the dosages. He has put me on progesterone and estrace, gonal f, and chlomid. Non resulted in pregnancy.
Describe your experience with Eden Centers for Advanced Fertility.
The cost for an iui alone was 1300, the gonal f was a few hundred dollars. They had a pharmacy in the same building.
Dr had a strong preference that I stop iui and go to ivf.