9.7

address unknown
city, ON 00000
000-000-0000

1 patient review filtered by:

Dr. Smotrich is a confident and experienced Dr. ... he didn't offer us much in the way of educated theories about the actual diagnoses. We have a couple of red flags in our work up testing and 3 IUI cycles that seem like they'd be enough to more thoroughly explain our issue ... Dr. Smotrich also had a unique take on the drug Femara, which was the choice of our original RE based on my history of light/glare triggered headaches so Clomid was ruled out. At the time of our treatment, he did not use Femara as an alternative to Clomid and expressed he did not approve of it for this off label use. In our case, we went to injectables on his recommendation, and I'm glad we did, because while my ovarian reserve was still strong at that time, I seemed resistant to ovarian stimulation. Based on my online reading about the popularity of Femara, I found his take unusual, but I did trust his professional opinion.
Parking [at La Jolla IVF] is terrible. The lot is crowded and hard to get back to. The building and office is nice. ... I hesitate to call this a "clinic" in the commonly used sense as its one Dr.'s practice and his support staff. That is nice, as you get feeling very comfortable with the small group right away. ... There were definitely some huge positives with their practice. It is just that in the end, I'm not sure it was the best fit for me based on some conflicting information regarding protocols (Femara being passed up) and no real effort to describe our fertility issues other than an off-hand comment from a nurse regarding a cystic ovary. ...
How was your experience with David Smotrich at Eden Centers for Advanced Fertility (closed)?
Dr. Smotrich is a confident and experienced Dr. He explains the chances of conception well. He takes you back to his non-clinical part of the office to sit and discuss questions, treatments etc. However, he didn't offer us much in the way of educated theories about the actual diagnoses. We have a couple of red flags in our work up testing and 3 IUI cycles that seem like they'd be enough to more thoroughly explain our issue, but he did not attempt to loop us in to that discussion. I don't like when health professionals don't attempt to explain technicalities. Dr. Smotrich also had a unique take on the drug Femara, which was the choice of our original RE based on my history of light/glare triggered headaches so Clomid was ruled out. At the time of our treatment, he did not use Femara as an alternative to Clomid and expressed he did not approve of it for this off label use. In our case, we went to injectables on his recommendation, and I'm glad we did, because while my ovarian reserve was still strong at that time, I seemed resistant to ovarian stimulation. Based on my online reading about the popularity of Femara, I found his take unusual, but I did trust his professional opinion.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Smotrich at Eden Centers for Advanced Fertility (closed)?
He could seem a little "old school" in his practice. There are definitely photos of multiples (3+) all over his office which is a little off-putting in today's infertility world where the goal is for healthy singleton pregnancies with occasional chances of twins.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Smotrich at Eden Centers for Advanced Fertility (closed)?
Its a small practice. You are definitely always remembered and you usually see the same people each time.
Describe the protocols David Smotrich used in your cycles at Eden Centers for Advanced Fertility (closed) and their degree of success.
As my previous RE had for my first two IUI's Dr. Smotrich ruled out Clomid. However, he does not use Femara in his practice, and I was having limited success stimulating ovulation anyway, so he said we should move to injectables. I followed the injectable protocol including trigger. After the IUI procedure, bloodwork was done. When my levels came back, he recommended oral progesterone and estrogen. I had my blood taken again, and I received a call that my estrogen was still unreasonably low for supplementing with it. This IUI did not result in a positive pregnancy test. It was the first time I had the side effect of hair loss during and IUI cycle.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Eden Centers for Advanced Fertility (closed).
Most of the staff seems to be engaged in logistics, records etc. The Dr. does do a lot of the patient care himself. One staff member though that did an ultrasound of my ovaries, was the first person in all my years of treatment and other gynecological experiences to feel I showed the signs of PCOS based on an ovary appearing cystic. I haven't had that verified by anyone else, and I have had a subsequent ultrasound that was not fertility treatment related and they did not agree my ovaries appeared cystic. I was curious about her feeling empowered to "diagnose" as a nurse. And perhaps she was looking at a cystic ovary at that time, but the way it was told to me as an off-hand comment was confusing. In my experience with other medical specialities, nurses do not diagnose and diagnoses aren't made without follow up information.
Describe your experience with Eden Centers for Advanced Fertility (closed).
Parking is terrible. The lot is crowded and hard to get back to. The building and office is nice. It is very quiet and serene. I hesitate to call this a "clinic" in the commonly used sense as its one Dr.'s practice and his support staff. That is nice, as you get feeling very comfortable with the small group right away. My original RE is in a more shared clinic setting with multiple doctors and multiple locations.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Smotrich at Eden Centers for Advanced Fertility (closed).
It was billed as a single IUI cycle. One large payment. It has been a few years to give a good recount of that total. It was more expensive than the larger more well known clinic in our region that we started with for 2 IUI's
Describe David Smotrich's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Eden Centers for Advanced Fertility (closed).
While I was not an IVF patient, I saw more photos in the halls and waiting room than I felt comfortable with of 3+ babies (with certainty I saw one with four babies) but I think the rest were so many triplets and twins, and fewer singletons. I would be interested to hear more about his approach based on these "brag" photo displays.
What specific things went wrong at Eden Centers for Advanced Fertility (closed)?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Eden Centers for Advanced Fertility (closed).
Going wrong is too harsh a way to put my experience. There were definitely some huge positives with their practice. It is just that in the end, I'm not sure it was the best fit for me based on some conflicting information regarding protocols (Femara being passed up) and no real effort to describe our fertility issues other than an off-hand comment from a nurse regarding a cystic ovary. From my years at this, getting to know my body and my husband's workups too, his extreme poor morphology is the issue, and IVF probably should have been suggested as IUI was probably never going to be a good fit. There has been an educated guess that his amazing sperm count should counter his very poor morphology. But that doesn't make sense to me, and I don't feel that has been explained adequately with data to support. Further, there is something amiss with my cycles/hormones but no one ever attempts to describe or address that. I have carried one successful pregnancy to term with another partner, so I 'm just not sure Dr. Smotrich or our previous RE was really willing to connect the dots and just used their proprietary cookie cutter approaches on us. I would think in a small, more expensive practice like Dr. Smotrich, he'd have the ability to customize a treatment plan a little more specifically.
David Smotrich
Eden Centers for Advanced Fertility (closed)
La Jolla