7.2

Encino, CA 91436
11500 Olympic Blvd.
West Los Angeles, CA 90064

2021, Unsuccessful
Our initial consult was only about 20 minutes long as Dr. T went through a list of standard things. I wish there was more testing and analysis done on why we were considered "unexplained" before jumping straight to IVF...I don't feel like Dr. T went above and beyond to treat me as a unique case...the next course of action was vague and was simply a small tweak to the current plan (let's just add omnitrope)
I don't believe this [HRC Fertility - Encino] clinic is up to date on the latest research. I would push your doctor/clinic to do additional testing, and I wish I was proactive and had armed myself with more research. Example: my husband's sperm analysis was deemed "borderline problematic" at HRC, but when showcasing these same results to another doctor at another clinic, they mentioned that the reference and evaluation criteria used are very old.
How was your experience with David Tourgeman at HRC Fertility?
At the time of seeing Dr. T, I was satisfied with every visit and knew what my next steps were. However, now that I've seen 2 other doctors since Dr. T, I've changed my mind as I am now able to compare and contrast the differences. My first IVF round was unsuccessful. We retrieved a good number of eggs, but only a few were mature, and of them, none of them fertilized. It was devastating, especially without previous context and knowledge that this can even be a possibility for me. During the follow up call with Dr. T, I did not feel there was an explanation for what happened, and the next course of action was vague and was simply a small tweak to the current plan (let's just add omnitrope). I was also told I simply have terrible egg quality and to look into Eastern medicine, and we'll reconvene in 3 months. Dr. T did not suggest any further testing to see if there may be other underlying issues. I went and got a second opinion, and that's when the new doctor suspected endometriosis, which was verified by an endometrioma in one of my ovaries. I don't feel like Dr. T went above and beyond to treat me as a unique case.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Tourgeman at HRC Fertility?
I would push for more testing and to ask the tough questions (e.g. why this treatment protocol, why not this one, what happened when something unexpected occurred, etc.).
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Tourgeman at HRC Fertility?
HRC and Dr. Tourgeman was the first clinic that I went to (I'm currently at my third). In retrospect, I started this process quite naive, and thought IVF was a guarantee success. Our initial consult was only about 20 minutes long as Dr. T went through a list of standard things. I wish there was more testing and analysis done on why we were considered "unexplained" before jumping straight to IVF.
Describe the protocols David Tourgeman used in your cycles at HRC Fertility and their degree of success.
We used a standard antagonist protocol (Gonal F & Menopur, followed by Cetrotide and trigger shot). Rationale for using this protocol: I was diagnosed by Dr. T as "unexplained," so I believe that is why he prescribed a standard typical protocol. Results: approx. a dozen eggs were retrieved, only a few were mature, and none fertilized.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Mei)
My nurse was approachable and easy to communicate with. However, I was not given an overall timeline for the treatment when asked. I understand there must be flexibility and things are not set in stone in IVF, but even a rough timeline would be helpful.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
I don't believe this clinic is up to date on the latest research. I would push your doctor/clinic to do additional testing, and I wish I was proactive and had armed myself with more research. Example: my husband's sperm analysis was deemed "borderline problematic" at HRC, but when showcasing these same results to another doctor at another clinic, they mentioned that the reference and evaluation criteria used are very old.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Tourgeman at HRC Fertility.
N/A - treatment was under insurance
Encino

At the initial consultation, he was friendly and seemed like he would work with the recommendations provided by our previous provider...he never adjusted them throughout the cycle and each time I was seen for ultrasound, I felt more and more like I was just being herded through the process. I’d ask questions that he wouldn’t answer and was dismissive of my concerns... I was very concerned that he didn’t seem to have any interest in refining his approach for future cycles.
From our one experience with the one doctor, it felt like he might be ok for someone with a simple fertility issue that responds to basic protocols for treatment....On the upside, they [HRC West LA] take insurance and are adept at working with insurance companies’ protocols....Because they work with insurance, I believe we paid a little over $2000 for the entire process....Our primary nurse was very nice and helpful.
How was your experience with David Tourgeman at HRC Fertility?
At the initial consultation, he was friendly and seemed like he would work with the recommendations provided by our previous provider (Dr. Baek). While he did use her initial recommended protocols (which were admittedly different from his), he never adjusted them throughout the cycle and each time I was seen for ultrasound, I felt more and more like I was just being herded through the process. I’d ask questions that he wouldn’t answer and was dismissive of my concerns that he was overcooking (i.e. too much meds and too long) the eggs and felt more condescending at each visit, dismissing my concerns with “I’m not going to overcook the eggs” (despite doing exactly that). At the end of the cycle, when none of the eggs were good (all overcooked due to too much medication and for too long a time), he told us it was just chance as to whether we’d get a good cycle if we tried again. There was no attention to fine-tuning the process or individualizing it. We were very disappointed. The only reason we tried him instead of going back to Dr. Baek (who was successful in helping us get pregnant years earlier) is because our insurance covered the majority of the treatment at HRC and money was tight.
if you want someone who is going to fine-tune your medication regimen to your individual needs, go elsewhere.
At the initial consultation, he was friendly and seemed like he would work with the recommendations provided by our previous provider (Dr. Baek). While he did use her initial recommended protocols (which were admittedly different from his), he never adjusted them throughout the cycle and each time I was seen for ultrasound, I felt more and more like I was just being herded through the process. I’d ask questions that he wouldn’t answer and was dismissive of my concerns that he was overcooking (i.e. too much meds and too long) the eggs. At the end of the cycle, when none of the eggs were good (all overcooked), he told us it was just chance as to whether we’d get a good cycle if we tried again. There was no attention to fine-tuning the process or individualizing it. We were very disappointed. The only reason we tried him instead of going back to Dr. Baek (who was successful in helping us get pregnant years earlier) is because our insurance covered the majority of the treatment at HRC and money was tight. We were very disappointed.
While he was willing to use the initial treatment protocol we’d received in our consultation with Dr. Baek (which was admittedly different from what he would have done), he never adjusted it throughout the cycle and triggered much too late. The eggs were all overcooked (which he attributed to age and chance) and took no responsibility for his part in the ineffectiveness of the cycle. I was very concerned that he didn’t seem to have any interest in refining his approach for future cycles. We would have gone through the exact same regimen again with similar failed results. It did not appear he was up-to-speed on current approaches for refining IVF treatments to the individual needs of the patient.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Yes (but I don’t recall her name... maybe Wendy?))
Our primary nurse was very nice and helpful.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
From our one experience with the one doctor, it felt like he might be ok for someone with a simple fertility issue that responds to basic protocols for treatment. Anything other than that and he’s not refining the treatment to the specific needs of the patient nor was he knowledgeable of current information in fertility (such as triggering earlier for AMA because the eggs mature more quickly). On the upside, they take insurance and are adept at working with insurance companies’ protocols.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at HRC Fertility.
(Described thoroughly in earlier sections)
2013 - 2018, Unsuccessful
The first time in 2013 he [Dr. Tourgeman] was godsend. Everything was just amazing. When I recently saw him this year I didn’t feel the same. I felt like everything was vague. Maybe because I already went through s cycle and he knew me he didn’t need to be more attentive as I was a returning patient.... First cycle I had follistim with more eggs and second time we used gonal f and less eggs. Not sure if it made a difference but also I aged.
Front desk [HRC] did not update my number in my file. I called many times to make sure but it was never done. My nurse could never call me, Pharmacy was given wrong number but thankfully my email still worked.... Weakness would be communication. When I changed my number they didn’t update everywhere. When it came time for updates after retrieval they called a disconnected number. Dr.T is great and I still think highly of him. Just this past cycle I lost a little bit of confidence.
How was your experience with David Tourgeman at HRC Fertility?
The first time in 2013 he was godsend. Everything was just amazing. When I recently saw him this year I didn’t feel the same. I felt like everything was vague. Maybe because I already went through s cycle and he knew me he didn’t need to be more attentive as I was a returning patient.
Just make sure you are aware of everything. Ask lots of questions and he is ok with your opinions too.
He is very kind and gentle as a doctor and also went through IVF for his son. I knew he would be compassionate
First cycle I had follistim with more eggs and second time we used gonal f and less eggs. Not sure if it made a difference but also I aged. 5 years from 24 to 30. I wasn’t confident with medication change.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jenny )
My nurse was quick to answer questions and emails. Towards the end of the cycle I felt that wasn’t the case. She would forget to do what she said she would. Make a phone call, follow up on certain things.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at HRC Fertility.
Dr.T is there in the afternoons sometimes it was hard to get an early appointment which made my appointment last the entire day including drive time.
Sometimes they billed my insurance differently and in turn the insurance said I was responsible instead of them covering.
Describe David Tourgeman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC Fertility.
He believes that 2 is a good number to transfer for under 35.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at HRC Fertility.
Front desk did not update my number in my file. I called many times to make sure but it was never done. My nurse could never call me, Pharmacy was given wrong number but thankfully my email still worked.

2012 - 2013, Unsuccessful
Rishona [a nurse at HRC-West LA} was fine. She's smart. I found nurses at other places to be much more sweet & compassionate...but Rishona did her job fine.
How was your experience with David Tourgeman at HRC Fertility?
He is a kind & compassionate man. But that's all the positives i have to share. He fumbled my case entirely. I only wish i had realized it while it was happening. On my first IVF, we were transferring 3 embryos. I was 39. He never: 1) told me about PGS or PGD testing. I wouldve done this in a heartbeat. He almost acted "against it". He was not aggressive at all. On my 2nd IVF w/him, it was ME who insisted on PGD testing - lo & behold, all my embs came back complex abnormal. He absolutely shouldve suggested this for my 1st IVF considering my age. He wouldve saved me crucial time (and money). Everything for me is out-of-pocket expense :( 2) i have thyroid disease. Before we transferred that 1st batch of 3 embryos, i asked him to re-check my thyroid. Both he & the nurse said it wasn't necessary as they had checked it 1.5 months earlier. I INSISTED & explained that my thyroid could go erratic at any moment. So they did a blood test & a week before my embryo transfer he called me and said "wow - you were right. Your thyroid is off. I'm calling in a new prescription for you right away! Start taking it today!" I did so & all 3 of those embs failed. Since then, two other doctors have read my chart. They both said, "he should've never transferred those embryos. Thyroid meds take a couple of months to have effect. He should've held off on transferring those embryos to make sure your thyroid levels were healthy first." Both doctors also said "and those were healthy looking embryos too." It makes me SO mad i could cry. 3) he never did genetic testing on me or my husband. I have since learned that this is the FIRST thing competent fertility doctors do. He never even mentioned it to me. 4) he never talked about supplements or vitamins either (Coq10 or DHEA). When i went to my 2nd doctor, she put me right on these vitamins. And guess what? Within 1.5 months, I was NATURALLY pregnant for the 1st time in my life. I miscarried (the baby had downs syndrome :(...but bottom line, that baby was still chromosomally healthier than anything Tourgemann was able to get me with his "high dosage recipe". I almost want to cry re-hashing all of this!!! He was incompetent & a colossal waste of key years for me in regards to my fertility.
Don't go. Much better doctors out there. Find one who customizes your medicine protocol to YOU specifically. Also, when my first transfer of 3 embs failed, he didn't even change my meds to try something new. He went back to his lazy, usual "recipe". Disaster. The two other doctors pointed this out to me.
He was the 1st fertility doctor i went to; this was all new to me. All my friends were referred to him too so i felt like i was in the right place. All of my embryos w/him came back complex abnormal. He told me i should use donor eggs or adopt. Then i went to a new doctor. She looked at my chart and was surprised at the high dosage of meds he gave me. She said "i'm gonna give you much less meds. And while i can't guarantee you a perfect embryo, i CAN guarantee you the embryos i get for you will look much better than these do." On my 1st round w/her, she got us a chromosomally normal embryo! And to think Tourgemann told me to adopt...i then canvassed my friends who had also gone to him & they all were given high dosages. He has success at times for patients, but in my opinion he just plugs women with similar high dosages & hopes for the best. He doesnt thoroughly look at your chart & customize things for YOU. Its as if he has 1 "recipe". & if his recipe doesn't work for you, then he'll tell you to adopt. I wish i hadn't wasted 1.5 years on him. I was 39/40 back then...i would do anything to get those years back :(
See previous responses. Too angry to discuss any further...
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Rishona)
Rishona was fine. She's smart. I found nurses at other places to be much more sweet & compassionate...but Rishona did her job fine.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
Already explained earlier. Lots of weaknesses!
I probably spent about 12k on two ivfs (24k) & maybe 5k on each IUI ( hard to remember). I spent about 30-35k cash on this wasted cause.
Explained earlier...
West Los Angeles

I did 3 IUIs, two with CLomid and one with injectables [with Dr. Tourgeman]. I feel like they always missed the timing of the trigger shot and the timing of the IUI. It was always so stressful...Dr. T was only available for some of my appointments. Generally I was seen by a nurse or his PA (who I didn't really like or trust). I had surgery with him and got really ill afterwards. He didn't seem concerned so I left his practice and went to another clinic.
$2000 IUI with Clomid and $3000-$3500 IUI with injectables [at HRC]...Receptionists were nice. Always long wait times, no one was every on time. Very stressful protocols and procedures. Dr. T wasn't available for important questions and they never seemed to get back to me in a timely manner...She [nurse] always seemed distracted and not paying attention...They were unorganized and not very helpful when you needed your test results or when you needed to speak with the doctor directly.
Go see someone else
I did 3 IUIs, two with CLomid and one with injectables. I feel like they always missed the timing of the trigger shot and the timing of the IUI. It was always so stressful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Vera Olaiz)
She always seemed distracted and not paying attention. Also, I saw her give free medication to other patients, but when I asked for assistance of medication she said they don't give any away.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
$2000 IUI with Clomid and $3000-$3500 IUI with injectables.
2013 - 2016, Unknown Success
Embryo Freezing
Dr [Tourgeman] seems knowledgeable but doesn't really personalize solutions. He also isn't involved in the process much. I often see nurses....I am horrified at the lack of attention to detail and the lack of follow through. If I didn't manage my care, nothing would have been on track. Had to remind nurse to order meds for ivf 3 times. Also never received call backs when I had a medical concern. Sometimes when I had questions I was told to refer to paperwork I had signed.
I am horrified at the lack of attention to detail and the lack of follow through [at HRC] . If I didn't manage my care, nothing would have been on track. Had to remind nurse to order meds for ivf 3 times. Also never received call backs when I had a medical concern. Sometimes when I had questions I was told to refer to paperwork I had signed.
How was your experience with David Tourgeman at HRC Fertility?
Dr seems knowledgeable but doesn't really personalize solutions. He also isn't involved in the process much. I often see nurses.
You need to know what you want and stay on top of things with the office otherwise details will slip through the cracks
Careless errors and decisions made felt formulaic not personalized
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Vera)
I am partially insured for fertility but have heard his fees are cheap.
West Los Angeles

Dr. Tourgeman was always gentle with his manner, took his time to explain his theories and thoughts, as well as how the process of IVF works. This was never an issue with him...I have suffered from Hypothalamic Dysfunction for most of my life. I have only ever had one natural period (at age 16)...At that time (in 2016) my AMH levels were decent so that wasn’t an issue, but he did say some very alarming things; like I would need a surrogate because my Uterus was small. The fact that he was “seeing” things no one else could see was not only discouraging, but it left me with absolutely no faith in him
The Clinic was clean, sophisticate and modern -- enjoyable for what it was. Facilities were up to date and very current. Large waiting room. Some drinks available. Offices were new and nice. The whole Clinic was great. Weaknesses [of HRC Fertility] were some of its staff. And poor coordination between the operating section downstairs and the general clinic upstairs! No aftercare after Surgery!
How was your experience with David Tourgeman at HRC Fertility?
I came to Dr. Tourgeman (at age 36) because a friend of mine with severely low AMH levels for her age (40), got pregnant the first time doing IVF with him. I also read amazing reports for HRC as one of the leading fertility clinics. Dr. Tourgeman was the first doctor to actually treat me for Infertility. I had previously had a consultation with another doctor (Dr. Payman Sadaat) but I just didn't feel completely comfortable with him. Dr. Tourgeman, on the other hand, seemed kind, knowledgable and had proved with my friend to be effective. Unfortunately for me, I am a complex case, because I have suffered from Hypothalamic Dysfunction for most of my life. I have only ever had one natural period (at age 16). All other Periods were assisted by the contraceptive pill or HRT from age 17 onwards. This did not seem to be a major issue for Dr. Tourgeman. He suggested I have multiple different tests to ensure there were no other underlying issues. He ordered a standard HSG (hysterosalpingogram) Test with Iodine Contrast which was clear, there were no obstructions in the Fallopian Tubes. After further testing and during my third consultation with Dr. Tourgeman, he concluded that I had a “Septum” in my uterus, that could present a problem when getting pregnant. I sent my test results to my OBGYN and she couldn’t see this “Septum” he was talking about. I should have asked for another opinion, but I trusted Dr. Tourgeman and proceeded to have surgery to remove such “Septum”. I was given some medication (I can’t remember the name) prior to the operation to assist with opening up the area, for easy access and was simply told I would have some cramping. I am no fuss-pot, the HSG was not at all painful to me, which it has been for others, I was ok with the cramping. But whatever medication he gave me, was giving me actual contractions and I found myself in agony the night prior to the surgery, on the floor, not knowing what was happening to me. Literally, my pelvic bones had moved. The following day I was put to sleep, under full anaesthesia, and he went in… when I woke up after the surgery he said there was “so much tissue” inside, he couldn’t find the septum and had to abort his mission. I was in a lot of pain after the procedure and had bleeding for 28 days straight. I had to see another doctor (Dr. Peck) at HRC because I was at this point I was very concerned and Dr. T was away. She said it wasn’t normal what I was experiencing, she helped stop the bleeding and gave me some proper pain meds (I had had to take the medicine I hadn’t needed for the HSG because they just kept telling me to take Tylenol, which wasn’t strong enough). I should have switched docs right then! Afterwards I was asked by Dr. T to do an MRI of my Pelvic area. Again, it all showed all was clear. He consulted with a few of his colleagues at HRC, none could see the “Septum” he was seeing. He even sent it to a specialist, which I had to pay $$ for him to review — he also said there was no sign of a Septum. So I underwent surgery for absolutely no reason. I also went through so much pain, stress, aggravation, expenses — all in vain. All he could tell me was, that he didn’t understand what was going on, because he really thought he could see something there and not only that, but during testing he had noticed that my Uterus was quite small and that I would likely need a surrogate. At that time (in 2016) my AMH levels were decent so that wasn’t an issue, but he did say some very alarming things; like I would need a surrogate because my Uterus was small. The fact that he was “seeing” things no one else could see was not only discouraging, but it left me with absolutely no faith in him. Needless to say, I moved on to another doctor!
Get a second opinion!
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jennie Tran, LVN)
She was overall really mediocre. Terrible at getting back to me with questions -- Appalling communicator, I kept having to ask, and ask again to get anything explained to me. Didn't seem to be knowledgable or informed. Would give her opinion before knowing the facts or even asking the doctor. Was not helpful when I needed stronger pain meds, said to take Tylenol and Pepsid for bloating. Absolutely useless. I waited after my surgery for her to come and get me, and ended up walking out of there myself with my husband. No wheelchair, no aftercare.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
The Clinic was clean, sophisticate and modern -- enjoyable for what it was. Facilities were up to date and very current. Large waiting room. Some drinks available. Offices were new and nice. The whole Clinic was great. Weaknesses were some of its staff. And poor coordination between the operating section downstairs and the general clinic upstairs! No aftercare after Surgery!

2014, Unsuccessful
He [Dr. David Tourgeman] was very blunt about my age. He knew we were struggling financially so he kind of brushed us off...He didn’t tell us we could use frozen eggs. He only discussed live donor. At the time, We didn’t know there was a difference financially speaking. We were led to believe our only option was using a live donor which was upwards of $45k...Consultation only...We left feeling hopeless because we could not afford IVF with a live donor.
we were not told we had the option of using frozen eggs [at HRC], which is less expensive than using a live donor. We left feeling hopeless because we could not afford IVF with a live donor...$45k IVF with live donor...They do offer a free seminar on fertility. I think it’s a great thing for people who don’t know anything about infertility. However, it the atmosphere is a little cold...The clinic doesn’t allow anyone to bring in their children. I must admit that I appreciated that because seeing babies can be hurtful.
How was your experience with David Tourgeman at HRC Fertility?
Pick another doctor at HRC.
He was very blunt about my age. He knew we were struggling financially so he kind of brushed us off.
Consultation only
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility.
The nurse was kind but, we mostly dealt with the financial planner.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
They do offer a free seminar on fertility. I think it’s a great thing for people who don’t know anything about infertility. However, it the atmosphere is a little cold. I definitely felt out of place become of my advanced maternal age. The clinic doesn’t allow anyone to bring in their children. I must admit that I appreciated that because seeing babies can be hurtful.
$45k IVF with live donor
Describe the specific things that went wrong at HRC Fertility.
As I stated before, we were not told we had the option of using frozen eggs, which is less expensive than using a live donor. We left feeling hopeless because we could not afford IVF with a live donor.