Medical SchoolU. of Texas Southwestern
FellowshipMed Col of Georgia
2401 Greenwood Road
Shreveport, LA 71103
318-841-5800
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend David Vandermolen to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend ArkLaTex Fertility and Reproductive Medicine to a friend?
When I am with Dr. Vandermolen I do feel that he cares about me as a human, but it is always a very fast paced conversation and not often during my time at the office do I actually speak to him vs nurses and front office staff... He talks very fast and very quietly when discussing serious issues. Sometimes its hard for me to even understand what he is saying due to the speed and tone! When he is not talking about something serious, he has a great sense of humor!
How was your experience with David Vandermolen at ArkLaTex Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
I do feel that Dr. Vandermolen cares about mine and my husbands case. He talks very fast and very quietly when discussing serious issues. Sometimes its hard for me to even understand what he is saying due to the speed and tone! When he is not talking about something serious, he has a great sense of humor! I am not fully comfortable having a male doctor, as I am super modest to begin with. The procedures I have had with him he tries to make me comfortable and is as quick as he can with the uncomfortable parts.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Vandermolen at ArkLaTex Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
Ask any questions you want! You may not see Dr. V again for a little while. The office is hard to get in touch with other than leaving a voicemail for them to return. His tone is serious and fast paced but I do feel that he genuinely cares for his patients.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Vandermolen at ArkLaTex Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the protocols David Vandermolen used in your cycles at ArkLaTex Fertility and Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
I have PCOS and did not ovulate on clomid or femara when with my regular OBGYN. I have successfully ovulated EVERY cycle on femara with Dr. V! Though it has not resulted in pregnancy yet, I have been very encouraged with the protocols done. I had an HSG test recently, and no tubes were blocked. The next step since I am ovulating but not resulting in pregnancy is an IUI scheduled for next month.
The nursing staff has been friendly and kind with the encounters I have had. They move quickly and are positive in my interactions with them.
Describe your experience with ArkLaTex Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
This clinic is very busy. Dr. V needs a partner to handle the patient load but has not had success in finding one yet. Sometimes wait time can be long, but not always. The front desk staff is helpful and kind, all staff I have encountered are courteous and compassionate. The clinic is the only one in our area and I am thankful for them. I sometimes feel like just a number, but I think that's just how the nature of this situation is.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Vandermolen at ArkLaTex Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
The costs are average compared to what I have heard of around the US, possibly on the lower end!
Anovulation, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
There were several times I’d be frustrated with the fact that he [Dr. David Vandermolen] seemed very unorganized...Sometimes his bedside manner isn’t the best...depending on the number and quality of eggs he will determine to freeze them or do a fresh transfer...He does not like to transfer multiple embryos due to health risks. He said if I had trouble conceiving with single transfers we would move to placing two.
Anovulation, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
I came to Dr. vandermolen thinking I would never get pregnant and I recently left 9 weeks pregnant. He did what I didn’t think would happen. There were several times I’d be frustrated with the fact that he seemed very unorganized and his facility out of date but in the end I have a healthy pregnancy.
Have patience. Sometimes his bedside manner isn’t the best. If you don’t understand something he says, ask him to explain. If you think you should be doing something and your not, speak up.
Dr. Vandermolen seemed to treat me more like a number but his staff would remember my name and treat me more like a human.
IUI protocols were basically give meds and monitor with blood tests and ultrasounds. Then trigger shot and procedure. IVF protocols you start with stimulation drugs for egg retrieval. This is also monitored by blood tests and ultrasounds. Then egg retrieval happens and depending on the number and quality of eggs he will determine to freeze them or do a fresh transfer. Fresh transfer occurs a few days later and frozen you have to wait 6-8 weeks for transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ArkLaTex Fertility and Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Nurse Lori )
Lori does okay but she also seems to be unorganized. I had to remind her of a few things sometimes. I felt like sometimes she didn’t remember who I was or what we were doing. There were other nurses there that I really liked.
Describe your experience with ArkLaTex Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths- easy to get an appointment, for blood work you get in and out, nurses are personable, dr. Vandermolen seems smart and knows what he’s doing. Weaknesses- you sometimes have to wait a long time if you’re seeing the doctor or nurse, they sometimes seem unorganized
I think the IUI were around 2,500 and IVF was quoted to us at 14,500 but ended up being more like 20,000
Describe David Vandermolen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at ArkLaTex Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
What specific things went wrong at ArkLaTex Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids, Other
Dr. Vandermolen is honest, compassionate, and optimistic all in the same breath. He knew that we had lost a previous pregnancy due to an ectopic pregnancy, so our first course of action was to take out my fibriods. In the process of waiting for surgery, I became pregnant a second time with a tubal pregnancy and lost my last tube. It was devastating, but he was there with us the entire way.
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids, Other
Prior to your appointment or before your next one, always jot down any questions you have- simple or complex. He will take his time to answer each and every one-- no question is too small.
Dr. Vandermolen had a gentle bed side manner and used language that we understood for the entire process. He made sure we understood the risk, advantages, and that we were completely aware of all options.
After experiencing the second tubal pregnancy, we took out the fibriods so that my body would be ready for IVF. Unfortunately, our military insurance does not cover IVF and so we are searching for assistance in paying for the process so that we may be able to experience the beauty of parenthood.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ArkLaTex Fertility and Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Darneisha Player)
Darneisha was caring and called to check on us after the last tubal and after the fibroid surgery. She was very compassionate and let us know that she was praying for us. She kept us in the loop the entire time and even helped out when there was a discrepancy with our insurance bill.
Describe your experience with ArkLaTex Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic was friendly and offered coffee, snacks, and had a tv along with a clean bathroom facility. Food places were close by in case your appointments didn't start on time. They even had a service where they would call you within 30 minutes of your appointment time starting so that you weren't sitting there idle.
For the entire IVF process (labs, meds, freezing additional eggs, etc.) the cost would be $10,500.00
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Vandermolen seems like a great physician. He did take good care of me, he performed my laparoscopy and diagnosed me with endometriosis. I am glad that he pushed me to have that performed before starting IUI. He may not be quite as aggressive as I would prefer, however. But my case was a difficult on because I was a poor responder to the fertility drugs and had poor egg quality.
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
To seek out support outside of the clinic ( counselor, social media, local support groups, etc) because infertility is so tough and that is not a topic that they really harp on (the emotional aspects.)
For the most part I did feel like a human. They are a friendly staff. There was overturn with the fertility nurse during my treatments, and some appointments felt very rushed and there were a few things overlooked at times. SO some days I did feel like a number too, now that I reflect back on it.
For all IVFs, I took 5-6 weeks of birth control and 10 days of Doxycycline before starting. My initial IVF, I was on the following ( I under-responded and we converted to an IUI): Leuprolide ( micro) 40 mcg, follistim, menopur. Start Lupron 10 units subcutaneous injection (in abdomen) once daily ( in the evening). Date AM dose PM dose Lupron Appt 03/31 NA 100 F / 2 M 5 units 04/01 NA 100 F / 2 M 5 units 04/02 NA Need appt this day for E2 LH and P4 04/03-04/10 100 F/ 2 M 5 Lupron 04/11 Tentative retrieval 2nd IVF: I was a poor responder, with 7 eggs retrieved. The RE transferred 3 embryos, but negative pregnancy test. I started microdose Lupron 20 units subcutaneous injection twice daily. I started gonadotropins (Follistim) subcutaneous injections Doses are as follows: Date AM dose PM dose Appt 6/24 225 F 225 F 6/25 225 F 225 F 6/26- 225 F 225 F until 7/05 retrieval For my final IVF, I had 3 embryos transferred and was negative test again. I did have 12 eggs retrieved, however, the quality was not great and I had none to freeze. I took Ganirelex 250 mcg SQ daily for 3 days, then started 200 Follistim / 2 Menopur, then twice daily 150 F / 1 M for 9 days until retrieval.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ArkLaTex Fertility and Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Lori Fellah)
Lori Fellah was relaxed and friendly. I got annoyed at a few minor overlooks ( for instance, incorrect amount of Doxycycline ordered and I ran out of medications-but she was eager to correct overlooks); there was an error on the IVF schedule with conflicting directions which she clarified via email. I think she could have been more organized and willing to prevent these same mistakes from recurring. She was new to the IVF as a full-term nurse, however, so I gave her a lot of slack.
Describe your experience with ArkLaTex Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths: Friendly staff, Organized, Efficient, RE does spend time with you in his office laying out details and effectively communicating Weaknesses: Disorganized with finances/billing information; No "IVF classes" offered, no resources for emotional support offered ( such as counseling hotlines, counselors, support groups, etc)
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at ArkLaTex Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
I never had a problem with scheduling these; and did not have to wait too long in the waiting room.
My surgery ( laparoscopy) was about $8,000 with insurance. IUIs were about $500. IVF: all in cost about $8,000 for services. Cost of fertility drugs were $,4,392, $6,691.97, and about $5,000 for last round.
For my final rounds of IVF, the RE was very helpful in judging/recommending how many embryos to transfer based in the quality. In my case, I had poorer quality so he elected multiple embryo transfer.
2012 - 2015
Dr. Vandermolen was kind, but a little bit difficult to understand sometimes. He talks very fast and uses lots of big words. When I would ask him what something meant, he would explain it in almost too much detail. I appreciated that he took plenty of time with me; I never felt rushed in or out of his office. However, we would wait 2-3 hours for a consultation...Do your own research. Ask WHY he's recommending something. Ask if there are other options...
2012 - 2015
Dr. Vandermolen was kind, but a little bit difficult to understand sometimes. He talks very fast and uses lots of big words. When I would ask him what something meant, he would explain it in almost too much detail. I appreciated that he took plenty of time with me; I never felt rushed in or out of his office. However, we would wait 2-3 hours for a consultation. This was very frustrating, but I would remind myself (and my husband) that he takes plenty of time with us, and we want the same for other couples. I wish there was a better way to schedule for consults. Waiting for regular monitoring appointments during IUI or IVF cycles weren't so bad...maybe 45 minutes at the most? I know of several couples who had great success with Dr. V, but we just didn't. The main thing that was NOT explained to me was the egg retrieval, embryo development process. I had 17 eggs retrieved. Since we are unexplained, he said they would do ICSI on half and let the other half fertilize naturally. Of the half that were supposed to fertilize naturally, NONE of them fertilized at ALL. I wish I would have been given the option to ICSI all eggs, and I'm not sure why I wasn't? I know that he didn't want to end up with 17 embryos, but I would have liked to discuss that more. So, we ICSI'd 9...of the 9, 5 fertilized, and only 3 made it to day 3. All 3 were very weak embryos. So weak that he transferred all 3. When we got there on transfer day and he told us how weak our embryos were, my husband even asked, "is there any point in transferring if they are so weak?" to which Dr. V said "yes, we should definitely transfer...you never know what could happen once these embryos are in the womb". Fast forward, our transfer failed and we didn't have anything left to freeze. $18k down the drain. I haven't been back to see Dr. V since the consultation after the failed IVF. Bottom line...he did explain some things well, but there were other, crucial things that were not explained. If I would have had a positive pregnancy test and healthy baby as a result of that IVF, I would have been so grateful, but I would have also sighed in relief that we had a baby despite the lack of information about the most crucial part of the IVF cycle.
Do your own research. Ask WHY he's recommending something. Ask if there are other options. If you're doing IVF, ask to ICSI ALL mature eggs! Be prepared to wait a LONG time when you go for your consultation.
He would call me by name, and seemed to know about my information without completely relying on looking at my chart. He may have practiced before he walked in the exam room, but he did make me feel like he at least recognized me.
Oh wow...I did 3 IUIs and 1 IVF cycle. When we first met with him, he said we could skip the IUIs and go straight to IVF if we wanted to (I had done several rounds of clomid and an IUI with my OBGYN). Due to the costs, we decided to try the IUIs first. It's been a few years, so I don't remember the exact protocol of my first IUI?? I think it was clomid only, but possibly Menopur? I know that the second IUI with him, we used Menopur (1 vial per day for 8-9 days) and I'm pretty sure Novarel for trigger. The third IUI was LOTS of Menopur and Novarel for trigger. I was on 1 vial a day, then increased to 2 per day at the end. My IVF meds were Menopur, Follistim, Ganirelix, and Lupron for trigger. I was on 2-3 vials of Menopur per day, maybe 100 of Follistim, and I only took Ganirelix like twice. My memory is TERRIBLE!! I feel like this part isn't helping at all! Sorry!
Describe your experience with your nurse at ArkLaTex Fertility and Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Cindy)
The IVF coordinator is Cindy. She was so sweet, answered all of my questions, returned my calls quickly, etc. My favorite nurse was Lauren. She did most of my blood draws and was so sweet to talk to. She answered lots of questions about how to inject meds, etc. in a way that I understood. She understood that what I was doing and the info she gave me was important, but she didn't take herself too seriously.
Describe your experience with ArkLaTex Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
The scheduling needs LOTS of help. As I've stated before, the hours of waiting for a consultation are a problem. I know that they are trying their best, but it's super frustrating to have a 2:00pm appointment and not get seen until 5:30pm. Plus, I'm sure they are all ready to go home, too! The only other thing that I would HIGHLY recommend is that you let them drain your bladder after your transfer. Sorry if that's TMI, but trust me, you will thank me for that little tip.
I don't remember individual costs exactly, but I want to say that the doctor portion of my IVF was around $11-12k.
2011
5 IUI, 2 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
The appointment right before my retreival, I was told by the doctor that, "next time, we will change up your medicine...". That left me feeling like the whole process had already failed. I also wasn't allowed to do any monitoring at my local OBGYN...
2011
5 IUI, 2 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Being our first IVF doctor and recommended by our dear friend that is my OB, I assumed we would be treated like IVF patients. We didn't really know what to expect under their care but overall it was not pleasent. I can say that because I had to extremely different experiences. The appointment right before my retreival, I was told by the doctor that, "next time, we will change up your medicine...". That left me feeling like the whole process had already failed. I also wasn't allowed to do any monitoring at my local OBGYN and had to drive almost everyday an hour and a half away for 5 minute labs or 15 minute ultra sound. Sometimes waiting hours.
To really look at all your options for care. This is a very expensive process. You want to feel most comfortable and less stressed during a stressful time. You don't just let anyone cut or color your hair or keep your child. We do more research on what TV we are going to buy.
NUMBER. Facility was always overbooked and crowded. Had to wait sometimes 3 or more hours and then drive an hour and a half back home. Plan & medicine plan was the same for everyone. They saw all kinds of problems, not just fertility. Dr. London left while we were under Vandermolen's care.
Some were very sweet and compassionate. Some were very stern and just there for a job. This was also a teaching facility so the staff rotated frequently.
They wouldn't allow monitoring locally where we live even though they can do same day results on the tests/results they needed. We had to go to there facility and most appointments were first thing in the morning towards the end when you go everyday. Otherwise they are just when you can get in.
7 IVF, 7 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
I think Dr. Vandermolen is probably very smart but somewhat of a poor communicator. He also follows a standard protocol for first time patients and only adjusts after a failed cycle...I felt like I was given the standard protocol. He only retrieves a few weeks out of the month and so he standardizes everyone to his schedule rather than doing what might be a different protocol for the patient.
7 IVF, 7 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
I think Dr. Vandermolen is probably very smart but somewhat of a poor communicator. He also follows a standard protocol for first time patients and only adjusts after a failed cycle. I think he might be a better doctor than I think but I didn't see it.
Go somewhere else.
I felt like I was given the standard protocol. He only retrieves a few weeks out of the month and so he standardizes everyone to his schedule rather than doing what might be a different protocol for the patient. I also felt his nursing staff was very rude.
I only remember being put on birth control pills which caused a follicle that had to be aspirated before starting stimulation meds. This had never happened on any of my other cycles with another doctor.
I thought the majority of the nursing staff were curt and uncommunicative. I especially did not like the head nurse.
Describe your experience with ArkLaTex Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
It is the only game in town so if you can't travel, you could certainly try him. You should also know that he will not do monitoring ultrasounds for outside clinics.
Roughly $12,000
Tubal Blockage, Other
Tubal Blockage, Other
Dr. Vandermole not is an amazing doctor! He is very informative, listens and addresses all problems/concerns/questions,
Do go in with an open mind. If you are just staring your fertility journey, please listen and take his advice to heart. He will be up front and honest with any questions or concerns that you may have. Do not ever think twice about calling to ask a question, everyone is super nice and helpful. They would rather you ask than to not ask.
While under the care of Dr. Vandermolen, I honestly felt more of a friend/family type of relationship, with him as well as his staff. I became very close to several of the nurses, and still talk to them everyday!
Describe your experience with your nurse at ArkLaTex Fertility and Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Cindy Hoff)
The nursing staff was excellent. All had good communications, would answer any and all question, and we're always happy to see you.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality
Dr V [Dr. David Vendermolen] has always described every plan of action in great detail. He is confident and really knows what he is doing. Everything that he has said to expect has happened. I feel very confident in his care and his treatment options. I have full trust in him.... My egg quality is slightly poor so we did 3 months of Clomid. The first month resulted in a chemical pregnancy. After 3 failed months, we are moving on to IUI with femera.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality
Dr V has always described every plan of action in great detail. He is confident and really knows what he is doing. Everything that he has said to expect has happened. I feel very confident in his care and his treatment options. I have full trust in him.
He's very to the point.
Describe your experience with ArkLaTex Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is very good about getting you in for appointments at the right times.