6.8

9101 Kanis Road
Little Rock, AR 72205
501-801-1200

Treated 2020
During my initial consultation, Dr. Moutos indicated with my age (34 at the time) and a high AMH level, he'd recommend eSET. After my egg retrieval, he let me choose to transfer either 1 or 2 embryo since we had 5 fertilized and surviving embryos on day 3 transfer...is more of a numbers guy, so if you value bedside manner with a warm personality a lot, he will likely disappoint you. Another example is after my first cycle was cancelled, Dr Moutos adjusted the treatment protocol, but I was still not responding well. He was honesty with his feedback that he's not sure why, but did not offer reassurance or alternative treatment plan. He's not one to sugar coat things and he spends very little time in his visits. I suspect it's because the clinic is very bus
Initial consultation [at Arkansas Fertility Center]: $250 IVF flat rate for monitoring, egg retrieval, and transfer: $11,000 (also including the initial blood work, HCG blood work, and semen analysis). If you're doing distant monitoring at Parkhill Fayetteville, the case flat rate is $8000...Their fee structure is fairly straightforward, so you know what to expect. Their staff is very nice in person. They offer distant monitoring for Northwest Arkansas area. Weakness: The clinic is very busy, which causes long wait time and you need to be proactive in terms of asking questions. Equipment may be a little ol
How was your experience with Dean Moutos at Arkansas Fertility Center?
In order to get IVF treatment, we were told we need an initial consultation with Dr. Moutos, which we came in with the expectation that everything will be scheduled that day, but we were wrong. We first waited for 1.5 hours and a resident took some medical history. Waited another 45mins then Dr. Moutos came in and reviews our chart, and says that he thinks IVF is the right course of treatment for us (which we already knew since our OBGYN referred us to him after 3 failed IUI). And he proceed to explain how IVF works, and at that point we already read up so much that nothing new was offered. We were scheduled to come back in a month for an ultrasound and semen analysis. That was our first visit. We took off an entire day of work and spent $250 just for that. I felt that we could have easily done this over the phone. Second appointment I had an hysterosonogram, which is an ultrasound with saline injected into the uterus. Dr. Moutos performed the ultrasound himself. Prior to that, I've had numerous ultrasound done from IUI, and I also had another hysterosonogram done at my hospital after, so when I say Dr. Moutos's ultrasound is quite uncomfortable, I have some point of reference. I've noticed at that point that Dr Moutos is more of a numbers guy, so if you value bedside manner with a warm personality a lot, he will likely disappoint you. Another example is after my first cycle was cancelled, Dr Moutos adjusted the treatment protocol, but I was still not responding well. He was honesty with his feedback that he's not sure why, but did not offer reassurance or alternative treatment plan. He's not one to sugar coat things and he spends very little time in his visits. I suspect it's because the clinic is very busy since the waiting room is always full and each time I go in the wait time is always more than an hour unless it's timed like retrieval or transfer. I'm sharing this not because I don't think he's a good doctor, but I want people to be able to manage their expectations, so they're not frustrated like I was.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Dean Moutos at Arkansas Fertility Center?
Expect a long wait time, and have all your questions prepared before he rushes out of the room. If he won't answer them in detail, the nurses usually will. You will also likely see Dr. Batres even though your primary doctor is Dr. Moutos.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Dean Moutos at Arkansas Fertility Center?
Dr. Moutos and Dr. Batres works on alternating 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off pattern so even though my primary doctor was Dr Moutos, I had one ultrasound appointment and my embryo transfer done by Dr. Batres, which is not ideal but it is how the clinic works. They did not tell you ahead of time that you won't see your primary doctor so it always came as a shock to me when I arrive. The nursing team is a little hard to reach sometimes, and most of the communication occur on the eIVF platform. The lack of communication and alternating doctors does make me feel like being treated like a number sometimes, but the staff are really nice in person.
Describe the protocols Dean Moutos used in your cycles at Arkansas Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Prior to each cycle starting, I was on birth control pull for about 2 months. The first cycle he started with 150 IU Gonal-F and 150 IU (2 vials) Menopur for 3 days. The fourth day ultrasound and lab work showed a minimum estradiol increase so he increased the injection to 225 IU Gonal-F 150 IU Menopur for another 5 days, and my cycle was cancelled on day 8 since the estrodial level and follicular development wasn't as high as they had expected. The second cycle added 1 pump of 1% Androgel each day for 22 days prior to the injection. He started me at the higher dose of 225 IU Gonal-F and 150 IU Menopur, which continued with frequent ultrasound and blood for 8 days. On the 9th day, they added 250 mcg of Ganirelix in addition to 225 IU Gonal-F and 150 IU Menopur for the following 5 days. On day 14, I injected 250 mcg Ovidrel in the evening for my scheduled morning retrieval 2 days later.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Arkansas Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Patsy)
The care coordinator usually provide instructions over the eIVF platform, but it's always bare minimum instruction like how much to inject for meds. She is unlikely to give you more information unless you ask (eg. how much more medication to refill, billing questions, etc). The treatment plan sometimes changes as you go, so there's always a level of uncertainty throughout. Therefore, you have to be proactive in terms asking what to expect next (ie. new cycle start date, time for retrieval, transfer, Covid test, etc) especially if you need time off scheduled in advance. Billing questions are done by another nurse named Sarah and sometimes she's hard to get a hold of. I understand that they're very busy and I think they're all doing the best they can. You just have to embrace the uncertainty and don't expect them to spoon-feed you everything you'd need to know. Do your own research and I find they usually answer questions on the eIVF platform within 24 hrs. It may be more effective than leaving voicemails with the nursing team.
Describe your experience with Arkansas Fertility Center.
Strength: Their fee structure is fairly straightforward, so you know what to expect. Their staff is very nice in person. They offer distant monitoring for Northwest Arkansas area. Weakness: The clinic is very busy, which causes long wait time and you need to be proactive in terms of asking questions. Equipment may be a little old, like ultrasound has a very small screen and poor quality compared to other clinics. Other things you should know: During Covid, they require you to perform a Covid test prior to cycle starting and then again prior to egg retrieval, and if you test positive, they'll cancel the cycle with no refund.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Dean Moutos at Arkansas Fertility Center.
Initial consultation: $250 IVF flat rate for monitoring, egg retrieval, and transfer: $11,000 (also including the initial blood work, HCG blood work, and semen analysis). If you're doing distant monitoring at Parkhill Fayetteville, the case flat rate is $8000. Any additional ultrasound and blood work done in the office: $585 on the weekend, $490 on a weekday. Ultrasound and blood work at Parkhill (cash rate): $402, insurance rate (about $90/visit depending on your insurance). Standard medication from freedom pharmacy: $4700 Frozen cycle: $3000 Embryo cryopreservation, billed annually: $250
Describe Dean Moutos's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Arkansas Fertility Center.
During my initial consultation, Dr. Moutos indicated with my age (34 at the time) and a high AMH level, he'd recommend eSET. After my egg retrieval, he let me choose to transfer either 1 or 2 embryo since we had 5 fertilized and surviving embryos on day 3 transfer. We chose to transfer 2.
Treated 2015 - 2017
Dr. Moutos was very knowledgeable but he didn't always have the best bedside manner. He was very blunt and direct. I appreciate the directness however I felt like he could have had better delivery when communicating with me.... Each time I would go in for a visit I would tell Dr. Moutos that I had some questions whether I did at the time or not. That way after he performed the ultrasound he would give me and my husband some time alone while I got dressed. We used that time to get our thoughts together to determine what questions we had (we always ended up having questions.) He would come back in a few minutes later to answer my questions.
The front desk [Arkansas Fertility Ctr] is not knowledgeable, friendly, or easy to communicate with. The clinic is open on weekends and most holidays so that they can always get you in when you need to be seen for procedures.... The nurses were very nice and compassionate. However, when going through IUI I had to call the general nurses phone number and always had to leave a message. I felt like we played a lot of phone tag. I also don't feel that the doctors always communicated well with the nurses.
How was your experience with Dean Moutos at Arkansas Fertility Center?
Be your own advocate, do your research, and ask questions. Each time I would go in for a visit I would tell Dr. Moutos that I had some questions whether I did at the time or not. That way after he performed the ultrasound he would give me and my husband some time alone while I got dressed. We used that time to get our thoughts together to determine what questions we had (we always ended up having questions.) He would come back in a few minutes later to answer my questions. However, if you don't tell him that you have questions he will leave after the ultrasound not to be seen again.
I felt like I was not always informed. The office didn't treat me like a human until I started IVF. To me, it seemed like it was all about the money spent. IUIs seemed so insignificant to them that they didn't give me hardly any information unless I asked. When we started IVF it's like their demeanor changed to treat me more like a human.
IUI- 1 round letrozole with ovidrel (Dr. Batres said letrozole was better for unexplained infertility) IUI- 3 rounds clomid with ovidrel (Dr. Moutos said we needed to produce more than the one egg letrozole would produce) IVF- Cetrotide (used instead of Lupron for cycle 2) Lupron (caused cycle to be cancelled because it caused me to produce an egg and not supress production) Gonal-F Menopur Ovidrel Follistim
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Arkansas Fertility Center.
The nurses were very nice and compassionate. However, when going through IUI I had to call the general nurses phone number and always had to leave a message. I felt like we played a lot of phone tag. I also don't feel that the doctors always communicated well with the nurses. When I went through IVF, I would call the IVF nurse directly and had much better communication with her.
Describe your experience with Arkansas Fertility Center.
The front desk is not knowledgeable, friendly, or easy to communicate with. The clinic is open on weekends and most holidays so that they can always get you in when you need to be seen for procedures.
I believe that IUIs were around $1500 each. I think IVF was around $18,000 but they did offer a discount if the 1st round wasn't successful and you needed to do a 2nd round.
Our doctor recommended eSET but let us choose. We chose to transfer 2 embryos. He said that was our choice and he was ok with our decision. He felt that it would still be safe to transfer 2 embryos but of course would not let us transfer more.
Treated 2011 - 2014
He [Dr. Moutos] performed a hysteroscopy and laparoscopy on me and did not explain the results to me or my husband well after the surgery on the day of the surgery so I had questions during the post-op check up. He told me that he would never answer questions like the ones I had so I checked with some physicians I know to see if my questions were out of line, they said the questions were totally appropriate.
I guess the customer service team [at Arkansas Fertility Center] (receptionist, check-out, etc.) were fine, but when I needed the billing department to take care of something or explain something the wrong information was provided to me, they billed me incorrectly and sporadically and I would get late notices before I got the first bill, etc. When it came to getting my records sent to a new clinic they never did it. Ultimately I picked up my own records and gave them to the new clinic myself.
How was your experience with Dean Moutos at Arkansas Fertility Center?
Dr. Moutos was brash and difficult. He is known to not have a good bedside manner but for a while that seemed ok until it was clear he was not explaining the process to us completely at each step. He initially told us that I could start medication whenever I wanted, but when we came in to start medication he said we should do a test and then we could start medication. We did that test, came back, and it had not been made clear to us that the test results may result in surgery. So I had surgery and were told after that we could start medication as soon as we wanted. We came back after surgery and were told that while the surgery went fine that we would need to wait two months and that was always the case, no one could start without a two month wait. He also talked me into a laparoscopy that I did not necessarily need. He claimed that insurance would not pay for the procedure if we found I needed it later in treatment and while he was nearly certain there was nothing to find it made sense to cut now and know for sure. It was a shock when he said very nonchalantly that he found stage 2 endometriosis "all over the place" (he never specified what that meant) and seemed to be irritated by my shock and dismay. After going into treatment with a different doctor at a different clinic later I asked her if it was a concern and she said no, and that she was surprised I had a laparoscopy in the first place given my history and records from Dr. Moutos's office (which were entirely complete). I also had a hysterosalpingogram (HSG) prescribed by Dr. Motous but performed by his partner Dr. Batres. I was not told that Dr. Motous would not be performing the procedure and was not given an option on what day to do the procedure. After that procedure I developed mild chronic uterine pain and GI issues that Dr. Motous discounted. I was not given antibiotics after the HSG or the surgery by Dr. Motous. I ovulated spontaneously and became pregnant 2 months after the surgery and subsequently miscarried. The chronic pain and GI issues never abated but they were the least of my worries at that point. During a second hysteroscopy by a different physician/clinic 6 months later it was discovered that I had endometritis, which is common after having a uterine procedure or surgery without prophylactic antibiotics. Some of the symptoms are mild chronic uterine pain and GI issues. Endometritis is also a cause for miscarriages. Ultimately I left Dr. Motous because I felt bullied generally, pushed into surgery I did not need, and that he was irritated and appalled when I asked questions. I know many women have given him good reviews elsewhere but those women have also gotten pregnant and had children while being treated by him. I try to be objective and avoid bias in my reviews of him as a result, but ultimately it comes back to the fact that I felt bullied and he was mean to me. Given how hard fertility treatments are to begin with to have your physician be mean to you is the exact opposite of how any woman and couple should be treated. Kid gloves aren't always necessary or appropriate but being a decent human being and nice to your patient is necessary.
If you are going to see him, don't let him bully you into anything and don't expect him to know who you are, what your history is, or your name. And don't bother asking questions, it just pisses him off.
It was rare that I saw him and he seemed to know any of my history, despite seeing him fairly regularly as one does during treatment. He performed a hysteroscopy and laparoscopy on me and did not explain the results to me or my husband well after the surgery on the day of the surgery so I had questions during the post-op check up. He told me that he would never answer questions like the ones I had so I checked with some physicians I know to see if my questions were out of line, they said the questions were totally appropriate. Dr. Motous raised his voice to me during the post-op check up and told me to leave. When I went back two weeks later to start treatment he didn't remember my name or that he had performed surgery on me.
HSG to find out if tubes were blocked, then hysteroscopy to examine uterine obstruction (determined to be large polyp) and laparoscopy to determine if there was endometriosis, then Clomid. It was never clear how much monitoring/how many ultrasounds I would receive while on Clomid to make sure that I wasn't at risk for Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome (OHSS) and OHSS was never mentioned as a risk of Clomid despite it being a high likelihood given my medical history. Ultimately I left his practice before treatment started because I felt bullied and worried that his treatment protocol would not be individualized to me or necessarily safe.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Arkansas Fertility Center.
They were nice enough, all seemed fresh out of nursing school, many were not RNs but were either LPNs or aides with some medical training. It was clear they were not the ones to answer questions and none of them seemed particularly fond of Dr. Motous.
Describe your experience with Arkansas Fertility Center.
It was clean, pleasant looking, well-organized. I never waited less than 75 minutes in the waiting room and never less than 30 minutes in an exam room. The billing department was knowledgeable but completely disorganized. They seemed offended when I wanted a copy of my records and tried to discourage me from getting them.
I paid up front for the HSG and surgery without knowing at the time that it is a practice that is discouraged by insurance companies because negotiated rates change the billing amount so the patient is expected to pay a co-pay up front and then whatever is owed after the negotiated rate on the back end. At Dr. Moutos clinic it is a flat fee up front and then they will ask you for more money if it is owed. Ultimately, they owed me money and it was incredibly difficult getting a refund from them. I was also never told that I would owe money for any appointments beyond the co-pay for a specialist before I started treatment. I only found out when I received a late notice without having received an original invoice. When I questioned it and asked them to submit it to insurance anyway they stated they had told me about it, given me a rate sheet (I never saw one and I'm completely OCD about keeping things like that for budgeting), and insurance would not pay for it. I submitted it to insurance myself and insurance paid for it because it was considered diagnostic and not treatment.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Arkansas Fertility Center.
I guess the customer service team (receptionist, check-out, etc.) were fine, but when I needed the billing department to take care of something or explain something the wrong information was provided to me, they billed me incorrectly and sporadically and I would get late notices before I got the first bill, etc. When it came to getting my records sent to a new clinic they never did it. Ultimately I picked up my own records and gave them to the new clinic myself.
Treated 2013 - 2014
I feel like in a sense he [Dr. Dean Moutos] cared, but he didn't run enough diagnostics to see what was wrong. He did a Hysterosalpingogram - HSG, but didn't do a Laparoscopy to see if I have endometriosis. My OB/GYN will be testing me next month to see. I feel like he could have done more...It was around 1500-1800. We were told my insurance would cover some of my husband's test, but they didn't. We received a bill for more than 800. Then about $800 for the IUI and injectable hormone to cause me to release an egg that I didn't need.
Learn the ins and outs of what your insurance will pay and not pay. I was not told that after my IUI, I could no longer have tests run unless I wanted to pay for them out of pocket. The doctors office [Arkansas Fertility Center] should have told me prior to my IUI...It was around 1500-1800. We were told my insurance would cover some of my husband's test, but they didn't. We received a bill for more than 800. Then about $800 for the IUI and injectable hormone to cause me to release an egg that I didn't need.
How was your experience with Dean Moutos at Arkansas Fertility Center?
I explained this in a previous comment section. I guess I jumped the gun. I do feel like he could have done more to see what was wrong. I was not told that Batres would do my IUI. I was expecting to see Moutos.
To make sure you have all the tests you want run told to him, otherwise he will jump right into doing an IUI without running all the tests.
I feel like in a sense he cared, but he didn't run enough diagnostics to see what was wrong. He did a Hysterosalpingogram - HSG, but didn't do a Laparoscopy to see if I have endometriosis. My OB/GYN will be testing me next month to see. I feel like he could have done more.
He ran blood tests on me and my husband. A sperm analysis on my husband and performed a HSG on me. He then prescribed me clomid. Told me to come back when I was ovulating. I never saw or was able to speak to him again.
Describe your experience with Arkansas Fertility Center.
Learn the ins and outs of what your insurance will pay and not pay. I was not told that after my IUI, I could no longer have tests run unless I wanted to pay for them out of pocket. The doctors office should have told me prior to my IUI.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Arkansas Fertility Center.
The insurance info I provided in the last paragraph as well not informing me the hormone medicine I received after the IUI would cause my period to be late.
Treated 2012 - 2015
Very intelligent in his [Dr. Dean Moutos] field but understaffed and no bedside manner at all. Very harsh and lacks compassion. Hard to get in touch with at the clinic and communication is extremely difficult. He is good at what he does but his clinic needs more doctors and a more patient-centered practice.... njections to prepare for egg retrieval after surgery to remove a uterine septum. Used icsi to fertilize eggs. Transferred three embryos. Excuse quality wasn't good. Had a 3 day transfer because of the low number of embryos to pick from. First cycle failed and second cycle was exactly the same with no fertilized eggs. So we transferred donated embryos.
Overworked and understaffed [at Arkansas Fertility and Gyncology] . Communication is terrinke... Injections to prepare for egg retrieval after surgery to remove a uterine septum. Used icsi to fertilize eggs. Transferred three embryos. Excuse quality wasn't good. Had a 3 day transfer because of the low number of embryos to pick from. First cycle failed and second cycle was exactly the same with no fertilized eggs. So we transferred donated embryos.
How was your experience with Dean Moutos at Arkansas Fertility Center?
Very intelligent in his field but understaffed and no bedside manner at all. Very harsh and lacks compassion. Hard to get in touch with at the clinic and communication is extremely difficult. He is good at what he does but his clinic needs more doctors and a more patient-centered practice.
The clinic is understaffed
Describe your experience with your nurse at Arkansas Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Sarah Humphries )
Sarah was kind but overworked
Describe your experience with Arkansas Fertility Center.
Overworked and understaffed. Communication is terrinke
$7000 to the clinic plus meds
The clinic usually transfers two but did three for us because of lack of quality.
Treated 2016
He [Dr. Dean Moutos] met with me initially twice and then the next time I saw him was when he did the IUI treatment. In between, I saw the other doctor. The other doctor did my ultrasound exams and discussion over treatments and next steps.... He is nice, but he doesn't seem to spend much time with the patients.
When you call [Arkansas Fertility Center], there is no one you can personally talk to. You have to leave a message to talk to anyone.... They [the nursing staff at AK Fertility Center] were nice, but not overly friendly.... He [Dr. Dean Moutos] met with me initially twice and then the next time I saw him was when he did the IUI treatment. In between, I saw the other doctor. The other doctor did my ultrasound exams and discussion over treatments and next steps
How was your experience with Dean Moutos at Arkansas Fertility Center?
He met with me initially twice and then the next time I saw him was when he did the IUI treatment. In between, I saw the other doctor. The other doctor did my ultrasound exams and discussion over treatments and next steps.
He is nice, but he doesn't seem to spend much time with the patients.
He spent little time with me. I saw the other doctor more than him.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Arkansas Fertility Center.
They were nice, but not overly friendly.
Describe your experience with Arkansas Fertility Center.
When you call, there is no one you can personally talk to. You have to leave a message to talk to anyone.
Ultrasound $350 IUI-$400+
Treated 2017 - 2018
I felt like Dr. Moutos had a poor bedside manner with little personality and felt like I was talked down to when I could not tolerate certain fertility drugs...I was put on estrogen and progesterone to prepare my body for implantation. When the first embryo did not take, they put me on Lupron, which I reacted terribly to...attitude was that I should just suck it up and take the Lupron despite the fact that it caused cardiac symptoms.
I was misinformed [by the staff at Arkansas Fertility Center] as to when to start my progesterone shots. Secondly, I was made to feel like it was our fault. I was also treated like it was my fault that I could not tolerate Lupron. Their attitude was that I should just suck it up and take the Lupron despite the fact that it caused cardiac symptoms...We were never greeted with a smile. I felt like I was just a number and that payment was the only important thing to them. It was extremely difficult to reach them by phone or return calls. Honestly, I can't think of any positives except that the office building appeared neat and clean.
How was your experience with Dean Moutos at Arkansas Fertility Center?
I felt like Dr. Moutos had a poor bedside manner with little personality and felt like I was talked down to when I could not tolerate certain fertility drugs. I also was passed off to Dr. Batres at times, who frankly, was creepy has he had a nervous laugh whenever telling me that the lining of my uterus was not thick enough for implantation. This is not how I want to be told.
Leave and go to another clinic.
Every time I came into the clinic they seemed more interested in receiving full payment than if I got pregnant. They also treated me like it was my fault that I could not get pregnant.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Arkansas Fertility Center.
The nurse gave me the wrong information on when to start progesterone shots, which made the implantation fail. The doctors and staff covered themselves when we told them this my changing it in their notes. The nurse was blunt and uncaring.
Describe your experience with Arkansas Fertility Center.
I am not sure as my insurance paid for a lot of the transfer and my embryos were created at a different clinic. I did pay $600 to transfer my embryos elsewhere and had over $1000 that was out of pocket.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Arkansas Fertility Center.
First of all, I was misinformed as to when to start my progesterone shots. Secondly, I was made to feel like it was our fault. I was also treated like it was my fault that I could not tolerate Lupron. Their attitude was that I should just suck it up and take the Lupron despite the fact that it caused cardiac symptoms.