6.8

Dean Moutos works at

9101 Kanis Road
Little Rock, AR 72205
501-801-1200

He [Dr. Moutos] has an overload of patients, he had a hard time recalling what treatment he had already done. I kept having to remind him of certain things. As the patient I found I had to be my own advocate in this clinic [Arkansas Fertility Center]. ... I had all of my initial information at another facility, the first thing Dr. Moutos wanted was a progesterone level, it came back low, I was assured I would ovulate with fertility meds so we proceded to my first IUI. My first protocol was 50mg clomid, CD 3-7. I would call with I got a positive OPK.
Strength [of Arkansas Fertility Center]: knowledge of physicians, appointment availability (including weekends!), Weaknesses: lack of information, rushed doctors with high patient overload, rude staff, waiting for your appointment has always taken at least an hour ... You can’t directly get ahold of anyone, it’s always leave a message and they’ll call you back. Also, I’ve had nurses who were rude when giving information to me.
How was your experience with Dean Moutos at Arkansas Fertility Center?
He has an overload of patients, he had a hard time recalling what treatment he had already done. I kept having to remind him of certain things. As the patient I found I had to be my own advocate in this clinic.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Dean Moutos at Arkansas Fertility Center?
Know your diagnosis, research information and don’t be afraid to ask questions because information is not readily available for you.
Describe the protocols Dean Moutos used in your cycles at Arkansas Fertility Center and their degree of success.
I had all of my initial information at another facility, the first thing Dr. Moutos wanted was a progesterone level, it came back low, I was assured I would ovulate with fertility meds so we proceded to my first IUI. My first protocol was 50mg clomid, CD 3-7. I would call with I got a positive OPK. Which I did. Because I lived 4 hours away they told me I would get an ultrasound the day of, which they forgot about, and I reminded them on the day of, I had 1 15mm follicle, they proceeded with IUI anyway, and my progesterone that cycle showed I still didn’t ovulate. So a negative result. Because I “didn’t respond” to clomid, next cycle was Letrozole 5 mg CD3-7. CD 12 ultrasound showed no follicle growth, so I was put on Letrozole 7.5 mg a second time in the same cycle, on CD 22 had another ultrasound and no follicles, so IUI was cancelled. For the next cycle I’m trying 100 mg of Clomid, despite the fact that I asked to be on injectable medication.
Describe your experience with Arkansas Fertility Center.
Strength: knowledge of physicians, appointment availability (including weekends!), Weaknesses: lack of information, rushed doctors with high patient overload, rude staff, waiting for your appointment has always taken at least an hour
Describe the costs associated with your care under Dean Moutos at Arkansas Fertility Center.
My insurance covered most of pre-treatment and my copay each visit was only $40. After “treatment” insurance covered nothing, IUI cost $450, ultrasounds costs $300. We even froze 2 of my husbands semen samples in case he was unable to take off work for IUI, $150 each and able to be frozen up to 3 months.
Treated 2013 - 2018
He did talk to me in his office several times and I didn’t feel rushed.... He’s strength is very smart. Weakness is too busy.... Dr Moutos probably has too many patients at one time to really focus on individuals. He does try tho.... Antagonist protocol for ivf. I had almost hyperstimulated. Probably should have been given less dosage but that’s always hindsight. I did have issues and he tried to keep monitoring me. I think he did his best with what he had to work with - my body.
Strengths- smart doctors. I really do think they care. Weaknesses- too busy. Too many patients. Not enough time to spend with each patient. Maybe should scale back on the amount of active patients so that they can focus on the ones they have and their success rates. As well as, time to schedule. The nursing staff [Arkansas Fertility Ctr] are medical assistants and not nurses. They are sweet though. Just I’m not sure they are allowed to perform as many duties as a nurse would be and therefore the doctors are stretched thinner with all the patients and procedures.
How was your experience with Dean Moutos at Arkansas Fertility Center?
He’s strength is very smart. Weakness is too busy. Too many patients I think. Staff are medical assistants and not nurses. Ivf coordinator is lpn. She always seems in a hurry. Not as compassionate as I would have liked. Dr Moutos probably has too many patients at one time to really focus on individuals. He does try tho. Also Arkansas has only two reproductive endocrinologist so they are real busy. Usually runs an hour behind schedule. Not always but might count on it if you’ve got an appt
Try to ask questions and make him make time for you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Dean Moutos at Arkansas Fertility Center?
He did talk to me in his office several times and I didn’t feel rushed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Arkansas Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Debbie, ivf coordinator)
Debbie, ivf coordinator, very organized but in a hurry. Make you feel like you can’t ask questions. Not big communicator. No compassion at all hardly.
Describe your experience with Arkansas Fertility Center.
Strengths- smart doctors. I really do think they care. Weaknesses- too busy. Too many patients. Not enough time to spend with each patient. Maybe should scale back on the amount of active patients so that they can focus on the ones they have and their success rates. As well as, time to schedule. The nursing staff are medical assistants and not nurses. They are sweet though. Just I’m not sure they are allowed to perform as many duties as a nurse would be and therefore the doctors are stretched thinner with all the patients and procedures. Wait time USB’s y’all an hour.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Arkansas Fertility Center.
Had to be first thing in th morning typically. Had to wait an hour sometimes just for these appts once I got to the clinic.
I forgot the costs. My husband dealt with this. Too stressful for me. We actually took out additional insurance policy that helped with some of the costs. Also there are rebates on medication online on each medications website.
Describe Dean Moutos's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Arkansas Fertility Center.
More risks for twins. I had uterine septum so higher risk for rupture.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Arkansas Fertility Center.
My embryos were growing and they said they would call daily with results on their progress. The APN, Sarah, told me on day 3 that they were doing great (in regards to day 2 embryos) saying all were doing great and on track when I’m reality only one was. Big difference. I didn’t sleep at all that night worrying if the lab was confused (which would have drastic consequences ) with the embryos or if it was simply clerical error and it was. Just surprisingly was from the apn , Sarah.
Treated 2016 - 2017
The doses were high for my age. After the first cycle [with Dr. Moutos] yielded slightly fewer eggs than average for my age we upped the doses for the second cycle. That second cycle was worse overall than the first and produced even fewer eggs of poorer quality. We still managed to get 1 PGS normal blastocyst from each cycle though... I got to see Dr. Moutos frequently... We tend to ask a lot of questions and he always took the time to answer them and gave us answers we were satisfied with. We also appreciated that he did not sugarcoat anything.
The IVF coordinator [at Arkansas Fertility Center], Debby, took an interest in our lives and we felt she was rooting for us. We loved some of the nurses who joined us for ultrasound monitoring and performed our blood draws. We became especially close to some of them. We found the nurses on the surgical side to be highly compassionate. Once you get to egg retrieval and transfer time you might be stressed out. We found the nurses on that side to be calming and knowledgeable.
How was your experience with Dean Moutos at Arkansas Fertility Center?
My husband and I both found Dr. Moutos to be very smart and knowledgeable. We tend to ask a lot of questions and he always took the time to answer them and gave us answers we were satisfied with. We also appreciated that he did not sugarcoat anything. He gave us clear instructions and expectations. We did 2 egg retrievals with Dr. Moutos. Both under the same protocol. Our results were average to poor for my age but each time we produced 1 viable PGS tested embryo. Dr. Moutos performed both of our frozen embryo transfers and they went smoothly. He is very skilled in my opinion. Sadly neither resulted in a pregnancy despite all conditions being “perfect.” I would recommend Dr. Moutos to anyone who wants a doctor that is straightforward and knowledgeable. He may not hug you or show much emotion but he is there to help you get results.
Have clear questions prepared for Dr. Moutos when you see and talk to him. He tends to move quickly but if you have specific questions he will take the time to answer them.
This practice is small and I got to see Dr. Moutos frequently. I also developed positive relationships with the nurses and support staff. They all knew our story and seemed to care about our outcome which made me feel more like a human and not a number.
For both of my IVF cycles we used an antogonist protocol. Dr. Moutos thought this would give us the best chance at high quality eggs on a shorter medication protocol. The doses were high for my age. After the first cycle yielded slightly fewer eggs than average for my age we upped the doses for the second cycle. That second cycle was worse overall than the first and produced even fewer eggs of poorer quality. We still managed to get 1 PGS normal blastocyst from each cycle though.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Arkansas Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Debby)
Overall we loved the nursing staff. Even though it’s a smaller clinic they do see a lot of patients as it is the only IVF clinic in the entire state. So as a patient you must stay on top of your own care to ensure nothing slips through the cracks. The IVF coordinator, Debby, took an interest in our lives and we felt she was rooting for us. We loved some of the nurses who joined us for ultrasound monitoring and performed our blood draws. We became especially close to some of them. We found the nurses on the surgical side to be highly compassionate. Once you get to egg retrieval and transfer time you might be stressed out. We found the nurses on that side to be calming and knowledgeable.
Describe your experience with Arkansas Fertility Center.
I think the doctors and nurses are the clinic’s primary strength. Dr. Moutos was our primary doctor but we also saw his partner Dr. Batres during monitoring. Both are very smart. Dr. Batres will take more time with you. But we loved Dr. Moutos and trusted him. The nurses are also great. We found them to be compassionate and helpful when we needed questions answered in person or in the patient portal. We personally think the lab could be a weakness to this clinic. If you are interested in PGS or PGD testing you may want to find a clinic that performs a lot of embryo biopsies as this clinic does not.
I believe the first round of IVF was about $11-$12K. The second round was about $7K I believe. We felt the prices were very fair. I believe a frozen embryo transfer cycle was $3K. These costs do not include medications or PGS testing.
Dr. Moutos very strongly encouraged us to do eSET. We were doing PGS testing so we felt comfortable only transferring 1 embryo each time.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Arkansas Fertility Center.
We had 40% of our embryos show inconclusive results after PGS. That was an exceptionally high rate. We do not know if it was because the clinic’s lab did not get an adequate biopsy, the testing lab had something go wrong, or if there was something else happening with the embryos. We are changing clinic’s for our 3rd IVF cycle just so we can see the difference that a different lab makes.
Treated 2016 - 2017
Dr Moutos is very informed and up to date on latest techniques and data...In the beginning Dr Moutos could not remember our previous course of treatment and would constantly have to ask me what we had done last time etc....He allows students to work with him so be prepared to have students observe and possibly exam you....His first treatment recommendation was IUI based on diagnosis of unexplained Infertility and us TTC for over a year....
The nursing staff [AR Fert and Gyn] as a whole was very polite and friendly at appointments. However, it was/is next to impossible to get anyone on the phone. The IVF coordinator is very direct, shows very little compassion and does not give much information....Communication and scheduling can be difficult....With my IVF protocol, the Dr and IVF coordinator told me two different protocols....Nobody answers the phone, you always have to leave a message.
How was your experience with Dean Moutos at Arkansas Fertility Center?
Dr Moutos is very informed and up to date on latest techniques and data. He isn't always as thourough as I'd like and requires you to ask questions....assuming you know what questions to ask. He does answer questions but inform yourself before you go so that you know enough to ask. He allows students to work with him so be prepared to have students observe and possibly exam you.
Inform yourself enough to ask questions before you go.
In the beginning Dr Moutos could not remember our previous course of treatment and would constantly have to ask me what we had done last time etc. But as time went on, this did get better
His first treatment recommendation was IUI based on diagnosis of unexplained Infertility and us TTC for over a year. After 3 unsuccessful IUIs we met with other Dr in clinic and he discovered that my husbands semen analysis showed abnormal morphology and thus gave us a male factor diagnosis and recommended IVF. We have had one fresh IVF cycle and I recently had a polyp removed from my uterus and we will begin our first FET this month. I was a little frustrated with not having a diagnosis earlier and then finding the polyp after all these unsuccessful attempts.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Arkansas Fertility Center.
The nursing staff as a whole was very polite and friendly at appointments. However, it was/is next to impossible to get anyone on the phone. The IVF coordinator is very direct, shows very little compassion and does not give much information. She knew I was having a chemical pregnancy and did not tell me, lead me to think I had more hope than was realistic.
Describe your experience with Arkansas Fertility Center.
Communication and scheduling can be difficult. Nobody answers the phone, you always have to leave a message. Appointments are always running behind and although they schedule appointments at 7:30, you rarely get seen before 8. Be patient
In the beginning everything was 100% out of pocket and had to be paid in full day of service. I was lucky enough to change jobs thus insurances and IVF was covered 80/20. I had to pay my 20% up front before protocol began. All IVF medications were out of pocket. I used Walgreens specialty pharmacy although the IVF coordinator tried telling me what pharmacy I had to use.
We have done eSET and will continue to do so with our next FET. Dr. Moutos recommended this based on excellent quality embryos and we trust him fully
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Arkansas Fertility Center.
I had a endometrial biopsy and no one called me with the results or posted on the patient portal. With my IVF protocol, the Dr and IVF coordinator told me two different protocols.
Treated 2013 - 2015
Dr. Moutos will do what he can in order to get the patient pregnant, but he doesn't take additional time to sit down with the patient and explain what the plan is or options in courses of action. I had to argue with him when he wanted to put me back on Clomid for an IUI when I had previously tried Clomid and didn't respond to it. He did finally check my records and move on to injectable medications (which worked), but not without me putting up a fight. Be confident and assertive around him and he will work for you. When we did the IVF, he was much more receptive.
The front desk staff and billing [at Arkansas Fertility Center] are so frustrating to work with. If you're trying to call and talk to a human, you won't. You'll have to leave a message and they will call you back. If you're in the middle of a cycle, the nursing staff is good at calling you back, but I had a billing issue and was call to PAY THEM and it took 2 weeks in order to get someone to call me back and get it all worked out.
How was your experience with Dean Moutos at Arkansas Fertility Center?
Learn about your procedures. Ask lots of questions and if you're unsure about something, ask for clarification. This is your body, your dreams and (if insurance isn't covering procedures, like my situation) your money.
Dr Moutos isn't one to sit down and explain what is happening with you. He simply wants to get through the process and get things done. He's very competent and very good at what he does, but isn't typically going to look to the patient for insight or additional information.
We did 3 cycles on Femera with timed intercourse, 3 cycles on injectable medications with timed intercourse, 3 IUIs (with injectables) and finally IVF (with ICSI). Each time I was producing follicles, but no fertilization was happening. Sperm was testing off the charts great and nothing could be found wrong with me, so after all that we finally moved on to IVF and were successful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Arkansas Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Debbie Stewart)
Debbie Stewart was the nurse that did the counseling and coordinated medications and dosages with me. I found her very informative, but very cold and businesslike. I flat out told her, "I understand that this is your job. You see women like me every single day and you deal with us all hopped up on hormones and depressed and crazy because we just got to have a baby. Today is just another day at work for you, but this (the IVF cycle) is all my dreams, all my savings and all my strength and I need to know you're taking it seriously and considering what I need specifically as an individual patient. The nurse who was there for the retrieval and transfer (I don't remember her name and I really wish I did) was AMAZING. She was caring and considerate and had great bedside manner. She was exactly what I needed for a very stressful procedure (where, again, you're hopped up on hormones and not really thinking rationally).
Describe your experience with Arkansas Fertility Center.
The front desk staff and billing are so frustrating to work with. If you're trying to call and talk to a human, you won't. You'll have to leave a message and they will call you back. If you're in the middle of a cycle, the nursing staff is good at calling you back, but I had a billing issue and was call to PAY THEM and it took 2 weeks in order to get someone to call me back and get it all worked out.
My doctor's office kindly offered a military discount for IVF at $10,000 (plus meds). This could increase if there were complications, but included start to finish of one cycle. Normally this cost is $12,500 for not military. They charged a flat rate of $1,000 per IUI. They did not offer any bundling services or shared responsibility promises. All my medications were acquired through Freedom Pharmacy and paid directly to them.
Dr. Moutos originally was only going to allow us to transfer 2 embryos max, but our remaining embryo was finally catching up in development and the morning of the transfer, he said he'd let us transfer all 3. He said he didn't have much hope for the third embryo, but that it would do better in the body than out (as we were hoping to freeze some, but ended up not having any available). Out of the 3 transferred, we ended up with a singleton birth.
Treated 2016 - 2017
Dr Moutos was very friendly and tried very hard to focus on us and explaining the steps of infertility each visit. But I always got the vibe that he was already on to the next patient in his mind. Very busy man!...My first IVF cycle was cancelled because I did not respond to the meds properly. I had one follicle jump out and grow very quickly and the rest did not catch up. For my second IVF cycle Dr M changed my meds and I responded much better!
At the beginning I felt like a number but towards the end when they started knowing a face to the name I felt like more than a number to them....My main concern was answering phone messages. They [AR Ferti and Gyn] did very well answering emails on the portal but returning phone calls did not happen very quickly....The front office staff is very cold....The nurse are great!...Dr Moutos was very friendly and tried very hard to focus on us and explaining the steps of infertility each visit.
How was your experience with Dean Moutos at Arkansas Fertility Center?
Just know that it takes a awhile for him to warm up to you. He won't focus on you and your name/face until you have been there SEVERAL times.
My main concern was answering phone messages. They did very well answering emails on the portal but returning phone calls did not happen very quickly.
Describe your experience with Arkansas Fertility Center.
The front office staff is very cold. They are not overly frequently until they know you, once you have started coming more regularly. The nurse are great!
We had a family pay so I'm not sure on cost.
They suggestions with my age to transfer at least two but could go up to three embryos. Our choice.
Little Rock
Dr. Moutos checked every possible health problem after my OBGYN noticed Clomid wasn't working for me. After tests and exams he determined to put me on another pill which worked. Great doctor and very knowledgeable.... The only dosage that has made me ovulate is Letrolze 100mg. Along with ultrasounds to check my progress and a shot to help jump start ovulation.... He seems like he is there to do his job to get me pregnant
[Arkansas Fertility Center is a] Great place I would recommend them to anyone struggling to have a child on their own. Very caring and passionate atmosphere for emotional women. Even though the money is a struggle, they do know what they are doing.... [the nursing staff are] Amazing women!!... The only dosage that has made me ovulate is Letrolze 100mg. Along with ultrasounds to check my progress and a shot to help jump start ovulation.
How was your experience with Dean Moutos at Arkansas Fertility Center?
Make sure he is your last option because every cost will add up.
He seems like he is there to do his job to get me pregnant
Amazing women!!
About $2,000
I really liked how Dr. Moutos helped educate me on the whole process.