Kaiser Permanente NorCal

Not available by direct line
Medical SchoolDartmouth
ResidencyU Mass
FellowshipNorthwestern
1263 East Arques Avenue
Sunnyvale, CA 94085
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Deborah Ikhena-Abel to a friend?

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Kaiser Permanente NorCal to a friend?
Anovulation, Other
Dr. Abel has a warm bedside manner and is easy to talk with. I felt heard in all of my personal interactions with her. ... Dr. Abel listens to you and I loved that she did all the monitoring and the procedures. ... I was on the antagonist protocol and we were initially concerned about the risk of OHSS, which fortunately we avoided. ... While the cycle ended in a chemical pregnancy, she offered a lot of suggestions on what to do moving forward and was open to suggestions.
Anovulation, Other
How was your experience with Deborah Ikhena-Abel at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr. Abel listens to you and I loved that she did all the monitoring and the procedures. She is very personable and I was transferred to her care after the initial consult with another doctor in the clinic because I wanted to have my cycle earlier. I was on the antagonist protocol and we were initially concerned about the risk of OHSS, which fortunately we avoided. While the cycle ended in a chemical pregnancy, she offered a lot of suggestions on what to do moving forward and was open to suggestions.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Deborah Ikhena-Abel at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Get her from the start if you can. Ask about supplements.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Deborah Ikhena-Abel at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Describe the protocols Deborah Ikhena-Abel used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente NorCal and their degree of success.
We used the antagonist protocol because I have irregular cycles and a high AMH. I was on BCP 2 weeks at a time for about 3 weeks before starting injectables. We did ICSI although we didn't have MFI. We expected to retrieve a lot of follicles given the monitoring results but we only retrieved 7 eggs, fertilized 5 via ICSI, 2 fertilized normally and ended up with 1 day 5 blastocyst. Fresh transfer.
The nurses were great -- the challenge was leaving voicemails and playing phone tag but they are very nice and responsive once you get a hold of them. The OR nurses were amazing.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Monitoring can happen at the doctor's home clinic but all retrievals and transfers occur in Fremont. The clinic batches cycles which can be a pro and a con. It's good because your doctor will likely do all the monitoring and procedures. It can be bad because the wait times can be long for monitoring appointments and you may have to wait months to be on another IVF cycle. The Fremont REI clinic doesn't do lab draws -- you will have to walk to the main Kaiser Fremont hospital lab for lab draws. DNA fragmentation screening is not part of the screening process.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
You are lucky if you get to the Fremont REI early but there were times when I had to wait an hour.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Deborah Ikhena-Abel at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
ICSI was an additional $1,500. My HDHP plan covered 1 cycle of IVF and medications.
Describe Deborah Ikhena-Abel's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
We only had one embryo to transfer but the clinic prefers eSET.
Sunnyvale

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Deborah Ikhena-Abel at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.

How was your experience with Deborah Ikhena-Abel at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Overall, Dr. Ikhena-Abel is an excellent doctor. She responds quickly to my questions and is caring about my situation. There have been a few times where she references discussing something in my initial appointment that I don't remember talking about but it was a lot of information in a short amount of time. I was diagnosed with PCOS during my first ultrasound and I wish I could have talked to her more about the implications. It took a while, and a lot of research on my part, to understand what PCOS and anovulation meant for my fertility journey. I appreciate that she and the nurse practitioners changed my protocol each time to try to have a better outcome and that she's been honest with me through each step of the process.
Take copious notes at your first consultation!
Dr. Ikhena-Abel is great about getting back to me. She clearly cares about her patients and I feel like she really wants me to succeed.
1st cycle: Femara 5 mg. days 3-7, IUI 1, failed 2nd cycle: Femara 7.5 mg. days 3-7, 2 days of Menopur ml. at the end of the cycle to try for more than one egg (cancelled) 3rd cycle: Femara 7.5 mg. days 2-6, Menopur 75 ml. days 3-10; IUI #2 with 3 eggs, failed 4th cycle: Femara 5 mg. days 2-6; Menopur 75 ml. days 3-13; IUI #3 with 1 maybe two eggs 5th cycle: Femara 7.5 mg. days 2-6; Menopur 150 ml days 3-4; Menopur 75 ml days 5-9; Menopur 37.5 ml day 10; IUI #4 pending
Overall, I've had great care with the nurses at Kaiser. One nurse was a little too heavy-handed with the ultrasound wand but lightened up when I asked her to do so. I was unhappy with one when she talked about next steps during my third IUI but I didn't want to think about another cycle or IVF at that point. I understand everyone is different. They've been very understanding throughout my fertility challenges and given me hugs with bad news. They're all very caring and kind.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
This is a Kaiser clinic, so like any Kaiser service you have to advocate for yourself. You don't see the reproductive endocrinologist more than once or twice and most care is with the nurse practitioners. I think I've seen four of the NPs, Carla, Debbie, Marion and Lori and I've liked them. I'm considering a cheaper option for IVF but I hope if I do go somewhere else that the staff are as good. They are quite aggressive (in my experience) with treatment, but I do have PCOS so it can be hard to stimulate my ovaries. Overall I've been very happy with them.
I have IUI fertility coverage so my generic medication was $7 and my non-generic was $25. My ultrasounds and IUIs are $20 per appointment. I did not pay anything for my HSG or blood tests.