7.2

1722 State Street
Santa Barbara, CA 93101
805-569-1950

2013 - 2015, Unsuccessful
She [Dr. Minjarez] tells the truth, cares about her patients and has your best interest at heart. She was just too busy at CCRM to take good care of me so that I saw results. I felt mislead and that she misrepresented what I'd receive using donor eggs...One donor egg round. I didn't get pregnant. She told me I likely needed to use donor eggs from the beginning. She was right. I just wasn't ready to do that when I met her.
25K for an IVF transfer [at CCRM]. $1200 for an IUI transfer. 50K for donor eggs. 10K for donor embryos... Inflexible, requiring unnecessary and costly tests you pay them for directly.All in all, a horrendous and very expensive experience...Meds the doctor ordered weren't called in. Necessary ultrasounds weren't done close to transfer time. Poor quality donor embryos were received, with my doctor's knowledge.
How was your experience with Debra Minjarez at CCRM Colorado?
She's great. Smart. Caring. Direct. She tells the truth, cares about her patients and has your best interest at heart. She was just too busy at CCRM to take good care of me so that I saw results. I felt mislead and that she misrepresented what I'd receive using donor eggs.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Debra Minjarez at CCRM Colorado?
Make sure she has time to take you on and stay on top of your own health care. The nurses run the IVF process, not the doctors.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Debra Minjarez at CCRM Colorado?
Debra is great. She listens and communicates. But she was too busy at CCRM to provide quality care. She wasn't prepared for our appointments. She allowed me to use sub-par donor eggs and didn't mention that until I failed to become pregnant. The real issue at CCRM is the understaffed nursing staff. They're so busy, you're a number. You will not get called back. The wrong medication will be called in. You won't be watched closely enough.
Describe the protocols Debra Minjarez used in your cycles at CCRM Colorado and their degree of success.
One IUI, that i wanted to do. She didn't recommend it. One egg retrieval using my own eggs. She told me I wasn't likely to see results. One donor egg round. I didn't get pregnant. She told me I likely needed to use donor eggs from the beginning. She was right. I just wasn't ready to do that when I met her.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Colorado. (Assigned nurse: Lanie Wolff, Kathy Jenkins)
Too busy. Called in the wrong meds or no meds. Didn't order the right labs. Asked me about my husband several times, when my chart said I'm single. This was other nurses than those I listed. You work with a variety of people when going through IVF.
Describe your experience with CCRM Colorado.
Too busy. Financially motivated. It's all about the money. Inflexible, requiring unnecessary and costly tests you pay them for directly. Expensive. I would staff away from CCRM if at all possible. They're known for the the quality of their lab, and that's very seductive. If you work with them, be ready to take charge of your own health care. Question lab results. Insist on being seen. Question the meds you're on. Look carefully at your prescriptions. Be your own doctor.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Debra Minjarez at CCRM Colorado.
25K for an IVF transfer. $1200 for an IUI transfer. 50K for donor eggs. 10K for donor embryos.
Describe Debra Minjarez's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at CCRM Colorado.
She'll make a recommendation and then do what you want to do. No issues here.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at CCRM Colorado.
Meds the doctor ordered weren't called in. Necessary ultrasounds weren't done close to transfer time. Poor quality donor embryos were received, with my doctor's knowledge. All in all, a horrendous and very expensive experience.
Denver
2014 - 2015, Unsuccessful
NUrsing staff [at CCRM Denver] was always busy. I had one bad experience during an IUI, in which a new intern I hadn't met was allowed to insert the speculum. It took her minutes of jabbing around and hitting my cervix repeatedly, and I eventually in tears asked her to stop. Someone else was brought in, and the rest of it went smoothly, but I was so upset and in pain. No one apologized, and I was left to feel really awkward. It often felt like the nurse didn't know my name or remember what my specifics were; I was constantly having to remind them of my unusually short ovulation cycle, and it was in my chart, and yet the nurses kept giving me wrong instructions for taking medication and scheduling appointments.
How was your experience with Debra Minjarez at CCRM Colorado?
Nice and knowledgeable. I didn't feel like the course of treatment was specific to me, but was instead a standard cookie cutter approach. Also, after all my testing, I was never handed an officially-named diagnosis, so I believed for months that it was 'unidentified infertility.' It wasn't until after I had been getting treatment for 1.5 years there and was discussing starting IVF with Dr Minjarez that I asked about its success rates with unidentified infertility. She casually looked at me and said, "it's not unidentified; you have 'diminished ovarian reserve'." I was shocked - those words had never been said to me. It didn't really change anything moving forward for IVF, but still felt.... wrong, after all the thousands of dollars and tests and hours spent with staff there. I also wouldn't have pursued 3 rounds of IUI had I known that.
Ask for specifics! Bring pen/paper or ask if you can record!
Changed nurses often, and felt like they barely knew my name. Also changed doctors midstream. Everyone was kind and knowledgeable, but I certainly didn't feel acknowledged as a person. Also, when I had my first unsuccessful cycle, I was a real mess, even weeks later. The staff knew it, and multiple nurses and my doctor said they would have their staff psychiatrist set up a time with me to make sure I was okay. I never heard from anyone, and I was too depressed/ashamed to make an appointment myself. I am glad that in the end I didn't hurt myself or suffer longlasting depression, but that could have easily been a result and I feel now that they were a bit negligent in knowing what they knew and not following through.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Colorado. (Assigned nurse: Shana, then Christina)
NUrsing staff was always busy. I had one bad experience during an IUI, in which a new intern I hadn't met was allowed to insert the speculum. It took her minutes of jabbing around and hitting my cervix repeatedly, and I eventually in tears asked her to stop. Someone else was brought in, and the rest of it went smoothly, but I was so upset and in pain. No one apologized, and I was left to feel really awkward. It often felt like the nurse didn't know my name or remember what my specifics were; I was constantly having to remind them of my unusually short ovulation cycle, and it was in my chart, and yet the nurses kept giving me wrong instructions for taking medication and scheduling appointments. I also did not like that nurses would only call with medication dosage and timing instructions. They wouldn't email them. This led to a particularly bad IVF cycle (my first) in which I couldn't' remember the final dosage of HCG and couldn't find anyone who could tell me what it was in the middle of the night; the night nurse instructed me to take the wrong dosage. This was the night before my egg retrieval. They were still able to retrieve eggs, but a significant number were not mature and I still wonder if this is due to the incorrect dosage I took. Had the nurse emailed me or written instructions down, this would not have happened. As it was, she called me when I was out at the grocery store without pen/paper, and she still told me the exact times and dosages for five different medicines across a 3 day period, didn't repeat them, and hung up. I had to then try to remember exactly and write them down in my phone, and couldn't remember the final dosage. So all in all, while the staff is generally professional and competent, they could use some improvement in coordinating care.
Describe your experience with CCRM Colorado.
Clean, a bit sterile, things generally move on time. Pretty flexible for patients who work (they would make an exception and schedule early appointments ~7am for bloodwork and routine exams for those of us with early morning meetings).
total spent ~$50,000 for 3 IUIs, 1 egg retrieval, 2 IVF cycles, medications
Describe the specific things that went wrong at CCRM Colorado.
I described earlier, regarding the incorrect dosage of HCG and the unspoken diagnosis.
Denver
2013 - 2014, Unsuccessful
We were rushed through our appointments and given a very short window of time to ask questions and understand process [with Dr. Minjarez]. It was clear we were just a number...We did not see her that often. As a patient I would have appreciated more time and more compassion...There were many times we waited for a call back and never got one and were supposed to have received information that came much later than expected.
You need to be prepared to be treated as a number [at CCRM Colorado]. There are so many people that come in and out of here and it is clear they fill their schedules daily...there is little support offered with medications. Lastly there is usually a very long wait list to get in for your first appointment...The nurses were much more attentive but still rushed through appointments...There were many times we waited on results way past when they told us we would be called (we are talking days). There was an issue getting medication and appointments due to scheduling and communication between different clinic locations
How was your experience with Debra Minjarez at CCRM Colorado?
We did not see her that often. As a patient I would have appreciated more time and more compassion instead of being treated as a number. There were many times we waited for a call back and never got one and were supposed to have received information that came much later than expected.
Treat your patients as humans. Each person is going through this experience through their own lense and for many their first time. Spend more time listening and understanding instead of going through the motions
We were rushed through our appointments and given a very short window of time to ask questions and understand process. It was clear we were just a number
IVF was immediately reccomended due to unexplained fertility (which I later learned wasn’t unexplained). She explained the injection process, egg retrieval and transfer. She did not go through specific medications with me
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Colorado.
The nurses were much more attentive but still rushed through appointments
Describe your experience with CCRM Colorado.
You need to be prepared to be treated as a number. There are so many people that come in and out of here and it is clear they fill their schedules daily. Insurance also doesn’t cover treatments and there is little support offered with medications. Lastly there is usually a very long wait list to get in for your first appointment
Lone Tree

I really had to push for extra time [from Dr. Minjarez] to understand my treatment. On one instance, she made a quick decision that had major financial and treatment implications for me that were not explained. It all worked out, but I would prefer more discussion and shared decision making...Egg retrieval was stimulated with gonal f and menupour, which resulted in many more eggs than expected. ICSI successfully resulted in the expected number of embryos. I was advised to do PGS. A controlled cycle was used for the FET because I was not ovulating under the natural cycle as we initially hoped. First FET resulted in pregnancy.
Mel [nurse at Spring Fertility] was great. Very timely in response and helped me advocate for the care I needed...This clinic relies on the RN for most patient communications, so if you want more access to your doctor you need to push. I recommend meeting with the financial counselor regularly to assess payment options. I had a tricky insurance situation and we were able to get advice on how to minimize out of pocket expenses.
How was your experience with Debra Minjarez at Spring Fertility?
Most importantly, I got results with Dr Minjarez. I have no doubts in her clinical decisions for me. She isn’t the most warm and cuddly practitoner, which I don’t mind, but I did not have a great experience with her as a communicator. It felt like she didn’t want to take the time to explain my treatment plan to me. I really had to push for extra time to understand my treatment. On one instance, she made a quick decision that had major financial and treatment implications for me that were not explained. It all worked out, but I would prefer more discussion and shared decision making.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Debra Minjarez at Spring Fertility?
Push for time and explanation if you feel like you need a better understanding. My pushing always worked even though I consistently had to do it.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Debra Minjarez at Spring Fertility?
The overall care team is great but I didn’t get much direct time with my doctor at Spring. Almost all Appointments are for ultrasounds, which is five minutes and then you get rushed out. If you have questions after, everything goes through the nurse. My nurse was great, but I had times when I needed further explanation from my doctor on treatment, which I felt like I really had to push for.
Describe the protocols Debra Minjarez used in your cycles at Spring Fertility and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Mel)
Mel was great. Very timely in response and helped me advocate for the care I needed. She met all my needs and expectations.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
All the staff are friendly and responsive. This clinic relies on the RN for most patient communications, so if you want more access to your doctor you need to push. I recommend meeting with the financial counselor regularly to assess payment options. I had a tricky insurance situation and we were able to get advice on how to minimize out of pocket expenses.
Spring Fertility