Spring Fertility

Oakland
80 Grand Avenue
Oakland, CA 94612

Treated 2013 - 2015
Dr. Minjarez is very warm, and very smart. My only complaint is that when I look back over the 2.5 years I have been under her care, there are things I wish someone would have explained to me when I started the process, that I feel like I didn't learn until much later in the process.
How was your experience with Debra Minjarez at CCRM Colorado?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Debra Minjarez at CCRM Colorado?
Ask questions; don't assume she or her staff will tell you everything you need to know; and know that there are always more drugs, more procedures, and more options, and you need to know your limits.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Debra Minjarez at CCRM Colorado?
Dr. Minjarez is wonderful, when I can see her. She remembers the details of my story, talks me through decisions that need to be made, gives me numbers, and is generally very warm. The nursing staff, however, leaves much to be desired. I've worked with three nurses in 2.5 years. The first couldn't remember any details about my case (like that I am a single mother by choice) and would call in prescriptions for me for meds I was allergic to. The second nurse was excellent; I learned to ask more questions, which helped, but she knew me well and would stay on top of things. The nurse I am working with now is terrible: she never initiates contact, is not ahead of my calendar so leaves things until the last minute, and isn't creative in helping me deal with problems - if there isn't a stock response, then there is nothing she can do for me.
Describe the protocols Debra Minjarez used in your cycles at CCRM Colorado and their degree of success.
None of my cycles have resulted in a pregnancy 2 IUIs with no drugs 4 IUIs with varying amounts of drugs. I know Clomid was used a couple times, I don't remember the others. 1 IVF retrieval: Luteal Oral Protocol 3 - Estrace, Cetrotide, Menopur, Gonal, Saizen, Dexamethasone. We CCS tested the 6 embryos and all were abnormal. I am now prepping for my first donor egg / donor sperm transfer. I will have taken: Novarel (birth control), Lupron, Vivelle, Endometrin, Progesterone in Oil, and Medrol.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Colorado. (Assigned nurse: Three: a first whose name I don't recall, Katie P, Kristi)
I have had three very different nurses. First: she left in 2014, but was disorganized, forgot any details about me and my history, and would call in scripts for meds I was allergic to. Katie P: Excellent. She is a good communicator, was organized (she would email me the day before I had to start or change a med), always returned calls and emails within an hour, and genuinely cared about me. Kristi: My nurse now. The only positive is that she responds to my emails very quickly. She is disorganized, doesn't remember any details about me or my history, and is not at all thoughtful or creative when she responds to my questions - if it's not a pre-written CCRM response, she doesn't know what to say.
What specific things went wrong at CCRM Colorado?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at CCRM Colorado.
It's hard to separate my answers because I've been working with CCRM for 2.5 years through 7 different procedures. Over that time a lot of things have gone wrong, particularly in the beginning when I had a weak nurse and I didn't know what I was doing. As I got more comfortable and got a better nurse, things got better. Now I've transferred to Lone Tree and things are a mess again.
Treated 2014
We felt that Dr. Minjarez knew her stuff - seems to be a very intelligent person....She did NOT push us to use donor eggs, but was also realistic and honest about the likelihood of my own eggs being viable. Dr. Minjares was always friendly and willing to go over our plan time and again with us as things changed. Personally, I liked her very much and felt very comfortable with her.
How was your experience with Debra Minjarez at CCRM Colorado?
We felt that Dr. Minjarez knew her stuff - seems to be a very intelligent person. As I had already been through several failed IUI attempts with a different clinic, we had some very frank conversations with Dr. Minjarez about 1) the probability that my egg quality was likely poor based on my age and hormone levels (since I had done no retrievals, there was no way to know for sure), and 2) our financial situation and how it would realistically direct my treatment to some degree. She did NOT push us to use donor eggs, but was also realistic and honest about the likelihood of my own eggs being viable. Dr. Minjares was always friendly and willing to go over our plan time and again with us as things changed. Personally, I liked her very much and felt very comfortable with her.
Don't be afraid to slow her down. She is obviously a very busy person, and sometimes we felt a bit rushed in our appointments with her (not the transfer), but we learned to ask our questions until we understood everything.
Specifically with Dr. Minjarez, I felt like a human because she treated both me and my husband with respect, she answered all of our questions no matter how many times we asked them, and I felt that she was very adept at sensing whether we needed warm fuzzies or down and dirty facts (that varied greatly depending on what stage of the process we were at).
We went straight to using an egg donor since we knew sperm were healthy and were pretty confident that eggs were not. FET #1 Birth control, Lupron injections, estrogen patches, progesteron in oil injections, progesteron inserts, mild antibiotics prior to transfer and a few other drugs I don't remember. I did pre and post-transfer acupuncture for both transfers. Donor gave us 12 frozen eggs, 10 fertilized and we transfered one day-5 embryo and froze the remaining 9 embryos. Result was negative pregnancy test. FET #2 we thawed and transfered 2 embryos which resulted in twins! FET #2 was 2 day-5 embryos from same batch as
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Colorado.
Primary nurse was ok, but especially for our first IVF round, she assumed that we were already familiar with the protocols, drugs, acronyms, procedures, etc. When you are going through this process, the last thing you want to do is figure out the basics on your own. There were several calendar mistakes made along the way where I felt that I had to double check absolutely everything. Before we began our first cycle, she would talk about the "Calendar" like it was a big magical thing, and when I got it, I was very disappointed and confused. It was a photocopied piece of paper with dates handwritten in and notes in the columns. It used terms like "LMP" which I was not familiar with. Instead of using the term "luprolide acetate" (which was what the pharmacy called it), it referred to "Lupron", which I believe is the brand name of the drug. This all sounds really nit-picky, but for someone going through infertility and uncertainty and nervousness, it would have been so much more reassuring to have everything spelled out for us in a clear, precise and unmistakable manner. Communication was difficult in that we did not have a way to directly contact our nurse - had to either leave a message via their portal or leave a message in the general nurses mailbox.
Describe your experience with CCRM Colorado.
While we really liked our doctor, we were very very disappointed with the CCRM clinic. Here, we felt like a number. After our initial consult with Dr. Minjarez, we had to go through the official orientation process, which was a wasted day for us. They herded us together with about 10 other couples into a conference room, and went through the general IVF process, legal stuff, protocol..... none of which was helpful in the least to us. It put a bad taste in our mouths from the get-go. They are very protocol driven. The worst example I can think of is that prior to our first IVF transfer, both my husband and I had to go through all sorts of very costly testing, some of which was communicable disease testing which is understandable. But after our first attempt failed, they wanted us to do the exact same testing all over again a mere 2 months later when we went to do transfer #2. They said they would not do the transfer if we didn't do the tests again (all through the CCRM labs, of course). The lab staff was wonderful. I had countless blood draws, and they were all very talented (I am a difficult draw) and friendly. Ruby at the Rose office was my favorite - amazing woman! Same with ultrasound technicians - they were all very nice and had their acts together.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Debra Minjarez at CCRM Colorado.
Around $50k which included donor eggs, donor medications, my medications and 2 separate transfers.

Treated 2013 - 2014
As I said, Dr. Minjarez was extremely compassionate and warm. She was also attuned to our problems and adjusted our course of treatment based on issues encountered along the way. Dr. Minjarez gave us all the information, but when asked, she gave us her best recommendation...I would say that you can count on her to be informed and offer good advice, but of course you should do your own research and ask her all the questions you can.
[CCRM] is more expensive than many other clinics, but as a local patient, I wanted to go to the best clinic. Now that I live out of state from a CCRM clinic, I will likely go to a local clinic. CCRM is fairly corporate, and especially at the Lone Tree location, one feels a bit like a number in a giant organization. In addition, I had a terrible experience with one ultrasound technician who gave me the wrong follicle measurements. The information she gave me basically showed my eggs shrinking with a likely cancelled cycle. In fact, my eggs were growing as planned, and my cycle went forward. This is just one example of how a patient can get lost in CCRM because of its size. If I were giving advice to a friend, I would say CCRM is the place to go if you are a local patient or if you are a patient with multiple failures and want a last chance to su
How was your experience with Debra Minjarez at CCRM Colorado?
Dr. Minjarez was warm and informative. She gave us the information we needed and worked to tailor our plan of treatment and gave us thoughtful advice. She did my retrieval and my transfers. I highly recommend her, though she is no longer with CCRM.
We did the agonist/antagonist cycle with ICSI/IMSI and freeze-all. We ended up with 4 3-day embryos. Our first FET of 2 embryos failed. Our second was successful with a singleton boy being born healthy and full term. The rationale for our protocol was that my husband has severe male factor and I have PCOS. I was 31 at the time, so Dr. M did not recommend doing CCS/PGS testing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Colorado. (Assigned nurse: Elisabeth Lyons)
Ms. Lyons was a very good nurse, and I loved having one nurse with whom to communicate. Other nurses not familiar with my course of treatment often did not give us accurate information; however, when there was a mix-up of our medication for trigger, the nurses worked very hard after hours to track down the right medications.
Describe your experience with CCRM Colorado.
CCRM has a fantastic embryology laboratory and uses the most up-to-date technology available. It is more expensive than many other clinics, but as a local patient, I wanted to go to the best clinic. Now that I live out of state from a CCRM clinic, I will likely go to a local clinic. CCRM is fairly corporate, and especially at the Lone Tree location, one feels a bit like a number in a giant organization. In addition, I had a terrible experience with one ultrasound technician who gave me the wrong follicle measurements. The information she gave me basically showed my eggs shrinking with a likely cancelled cycle. In fact, my eggs were growing as planned, and my cycle went forward. This is just one example of how a patient can get lost in CCRM because of its size. If I were giving advice to a friend, I would say CCRM is the place to go if you are a local patient or if you are a patient with multiple failures and want a last chance to succeed.
I believe we paid between $30,000 and $35,000 total for 1 cancelled retrieval, 1 successful retrieval, 1 failed FET, and 1 successful FET, including medications.
Describe Debra Minjarez's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at CCRM Colorado.
Dr. Minjarez gave us great information on single versus multiple embryo transfer. However, because we had 3-day embryos, we decided to transfer two at time, which turned out to be the right choice. If we have another cycle, we will likely opt to grow the embryos to day 5 and only transfer one at a time.
What specific things went wrong at CCRM Colorado?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at CCRM Colorado.
I explained in my previous explanation.