Not available by email
ResidencyUAB Hospital
FellowshipUAB Hospital
1700 6th Avenue South
Birmingham, AL 35233
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Deidre Gunn to a friend?

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend University of Alabama Birmingham to a friend?
The only downside to Dr Gunn is that I feel like I never see her. I don’t feel like she is checking in on me without my prompting. ... Dr Gunn she suggested IUI w/ meds because of my age, 37 ... She is an advocate for LGBT reproduction ... Dr Gunn was very patient and caring. ... I feel she cares very much for her patients. I appreciate her open and honest dialogue. ...
How was your experience with Deidre Gunn at University of Alabama Birmingham?
I really like Dr Gunn, I feel she is passionate about what she does and truly in her field for all the right reasons. She is an advocate for LGBT reproduction - which I think is amazing. I’m not LGBT, but I like that she helps many people with fertility. Dr Gunn is caring and listens. I think she is very well trained and trustworthy. The only downside to Dr Gunn is that I feel like I never see her. I don’t feel like she is checking in on me without my prompting. As anyone who goes through infertility knows, this journey can be isolating and mentally taxing. I went through so low points and wanted Dr Gunn to reach out. I went through two clomid cycles with times intercourse and had to take a break because - then I started back with an IUI cycle. Those three cycles have taken my almost 8 months to complete and would really like a meeting/phone call/ follow-up after each cycle or two to access the results and discuss next steps. Knowing more about the process I know this isn’t really possibly at her level - but perhaps a care team staff member could reach out? It’s just hard and lonely and I wish I’d had a little more hand holding after each negative pregnancy test. I do really like Dr Gunn, this is my only negative assessment of her and the care team. I would recommend her and know my expectations have made me be a little more proactive in my health care.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Deidre Gunn at University of Alabama Birmingham?
Ask lots of questions and don’t hesitate to reach out. It’s a lonely journey.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Deidre Gunn at University of Alabama Birmingham?
Dr Gunn was very patient and caring. She gave me her personal cell phone number to call if I had emergency questions or problems. The doctor’s office uses an online portal (email) to communicate and Dr Gunn (or staff) is always responsive. I feel she cares very much for her patients. I appreciate her open and honest dialogue.
Describe the protocols Deidre Gunn used in your cycles at University of Alabama Birmingham and their degree of success.
First meeting with Dr Gunn she suggested IUI w/ meds because of my age, 37, and we had been married 9 years and had tried 2 years to conceive naturally. I wasn’t ready to jump in to IUI, so I asked if we could start with clomid and times intercourse. She said absolutely and we did two rounds of timed intercourse with meds. I had to take time off between cycles due to cysts and mild depression caused by meds. After 2 failed cycles of meds and timed intercourse, I informed the staff I was ready to move to IUI, which is where we currently are.
The nursing staff was great. All seemed very caring and invested. A few occasions they were tired or less friendly, but that’s to be expected.
Describe your experience with University of Alabama Birmingham.
Clinic is great. Parking is awful. Staff is wonderful. I hate the computer check-in system. I like to talk to someone upon arriving. Clinic is clean and well organized. The clinic usually runs in time, only having to wait longer then expected a few times. Since I’ve gone so much I’ve learned to bring a book. Due to my cycle I had to receive treatment on a Sunday of a holiday weekend. The clinic was great to be open understanding the importance of timing these things.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Deidre Gunn at University of Alabama Birmingham.
Consultation was covered under insurance. Each ultrasound is $150. Clomid ~$20 Trigger shot ~$100. IUI $300
Describe Deidre Gunn's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Alabama Birmingham.
Birmingham

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Deidre Gunn at University of Alabama Birmingham.

Anovulation, Other
She [Dr. Gunn] is thoughtful, caring, and professional. She does a wonderful job explaining statistics, odds of success, and preparing us for outcomes. I would love if we could see her at every visit and procedure, but there have been a few ultrasounds and one IUI where we were seen by other doctors.... Letrozole was used in our first IUI cycle rather than Clomid because of its success in PCOS patients. I do not have PCOS but have many of its symptoms. I was also prescribed a trigger shot with ultrasound monitoring.
Anovulation, Other
How was your experience with Deidre Gunn at University of Alabama Birmingham?
She is thoughtful, caring, and professional. She does a wonderful job explaining statistics, odds of success, and preparing us for outcomes. I would love if we could see her at every visit and procedure, but there have been a few ultrasounds and one IUI where we were seen by other doctors.
Get "Portal" on your cell phone ASAP because you'll never be able to get through to a nurse just by trying a phone call.
She provides personal, evidence-based care. However there have been a couple of miscommunication issues or things overlooked, possibly due to the large number of patients.
Letrozole was used in our first IUI cycle rather than Clomid because of its success in PCOS patients. I do not have PCOS but have many of its symptoms. I was also prescribed a trigger shot with ultrasound monitoring. This combo resulted in a pregnancy, the first in five years of trying. Unfortunately it ended in miscarriage. Dr. Gunn has since discovered polyps in my uterus and done a polypectomy to remove them. We had one IUI after the miscarriage and before the discovery of the polyps, but it was not successful.
The nurses have been warm, kind, and helpful in person. But communicating via phone or Portal is hit or miss. They almost never answer the phones and have overlooked a couple of my questions in Portal messaging. Mostly communication via Portal is fine, though.
Describe your experience with University of Alabama Birmingham.
Because UAB is a university hospital, it seems that the doctors there can keep checks and balances on one another and maintain the highest standards of evidence-based care. I notice a huge positive difference in this aspect when we switched from our old fertility specialist.
So far we have done 2 IUI cycles at $295 each, and each also had a trigger shot of $100. We also paid $100 for polypectomy. We have paid maybe $200 in other fees like co-pays, parking, and small account balances.
What specific things went wrong at University of Alabama Birmingham?