Medical SchoolU. of North Carolina
404-843-2229
3400-A Old Milton Parkway
Alpharetta, GA 30005
404-843-2229
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Desiree McCarthy-Keith to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Shady Grove Fertility Atlanta to a friend?
After our first meeting with Dr. MK [McCarthy-Keith] I was in tears, tears of joy. For the first time in a long time I could see a little light in this darkness we were in. We connected instantly! We not only talked about why we were there, but she wanted to know about us. She made things feel so much more at ease and less stressful.... She has written me several reference letters for grant applications. She is truly a blessing. Having Dr. MK in our lives, has shown us how we should be treated and what the expectations should be.
How was your experience with Desiree McCarthy-Keith at Shady Grove Fertility Atlanta?
Our Experience with Dr. MK, where do I begin? As I previously stated I was diagnosed with Uterine Fibroids and my Uterus was enlarged. The doctor told me I needed to get a hysterectomy, the option to remove my fibroids were never discussed. I had no idea exactly what all that meant. We moved from Virginia to Tennessee and I figured we would get another opinion. To tell a newly married couple they had no chance of starting a family was devastating. Words really can't describe the feeling.... I was numb. We moved to Knoxville, TN from Virginia and I was getting the same diagnosis. I went online and found a holistic gynecologist in Atlanta that was willing to remove my fibroids. This is the same doctor that recommended Dr. MK. After our first meeting with Dr. MK I was in tears, tears of joy. For the first time in a long time I could see a little light in this darkness we were in. We connected instantly! We not only talked about why we were there, but she wanted to know about us. She made things feel so much more at ease and less stressful. I always looked forward to my appointments. When things didn't go as planned she always was quick to devise a new course of action. I went through 5 failed IUI cycles, she recommended that we go on to a more aggressive course of action with IVF. We moved from Knoxville to Durham, NC. I wasn't happy about the move at first, I wanted to continue my treatments with Dr. MK. We told Dr. MK about our move, she was happy for us. She immediately recommended a clinic and doctor to us. Since our move a few months ago we have stayed in contact with her keeping her updated. I'm not sure how many doctors would take the time to do that. She has written me several reference letters for grant applications. She is truly a blessing. Having Dr. MK in our lives, has shown us how we should be treated and what the expectations should be. Dr. MK always responded to emails, voice mails, etc..... I never felt like we were getting the run around. Dr. MK is at the top of her field.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Desiree McCarthy-Keith at Shady Grove Fertility Atlanta?
Be patient through out your journey. I know it's easier said then done, but she (Dr. MK) has helped us with this.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Desiree McCarthy-Keith at Shady Grove Fertility Atlanta?
My first encounter with Dr. McCarthy-Keith was like no other. She was recommended to me after I had my Fibroids removed, she was very welcoming and made my husband and I feel very comfortable. The doctors I saw before her all told me I needed to get a hysterectomy and that I had no chance of conceiving. My husband and I had only been married for two years and the thought of not getting pregnant was never an option. I would travel 3 hours to Atlanta from Knoxville, TN to see her. She was very accommodating and very patient with us.
Describe the protocols Desiree McCarthy-Keith used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility Atlanta and their degree of success.
I'm not particular sure about specific protocol, however after my first visit with her she explained that I would be a good candidate for IUI. She explained everything to us and what it would entail. I started my first IUI treatment and I was on Letrozole and Gonal F. As I continued with the IUI's she changed my medication and dosage due to how my body responded from the previous cycle, I went from Gonal F to Follistim. Sher also added Ovidrel as well, I went from 2 pills to 4 pills in one cycle. We believed we were getting closer to getting pregnant. DR. MK finally decide that we needed to move to a more aggressive approach.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility Atlanta.
The clinic is located in a good area and they have two offices. The strengths of the clinic the staff and doctors are very knowledgeable about everything. Very helpful and willing to go the extra mile for you. The only weakness I would say, I lived in Knoxville, TN and had to drive three hours to and from. Some days I would get back on the road right after my appointment.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Desiree McCarthy-Keith at Shady Grove Fertility Atlanta.
I had health insurance, I was pleased that even though I was out of network insurance covered some things. I lived in TN and was receiving treatment in GA. Insurance did not cover any fertility treatments. The cost of our IUI's were significantly cheaper than we thought it was going to be. IUI cycle and treatment it was under $1,500 this included meds, copay, gas etc....
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. McCarthy-Keith treated me husband and I like we were her only patients during each visit. She empathized with our situation and let us know that her goal was to help us get a baby.... Dr. McCarthy-Keith has recommended that we pursue a donor egg IVF cycle since our funds are limited and this would give us a better chance of conceiving versus using my eggs with a 20% chance.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
I was referred to Dr. McCarthy-Keith from another friend who raved about her. She is exceptional at what she does and clearly communicates prognosis, test results and recommendations with compassion. She never seems too rushed or busy to answer questions.
Don't be afraid of asking her to explain all of your options for fertility treatments and any questions (small or large). She is very willing to answer any and all.
Dr. McCarthy-Keith has recommended that we pursue a donor egg IVF cycle since our funds are limited and this would give us a better chance of conceiving versus using my eggs with a 20% chance. We are currently saving up to go down this route.
They are all very responsive. If I have questions or need a help with an injection, they are very good about walking through the steps and keeping you encouraged throughout the process. They all have a friendly demeanor.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility Atlanta.
Georgia Reproductive Specialist is one of the top clinics in the the Atlanta area. I was first drawn to them because their prices for IVF were more reasonable. It is easy to get an appointment relatively quickly and all of the doctors in the practice work together. The front office staff is also extremely helpful.
The clinic recently merged with Shady Grove so the donor egg cycle costs changed some from our first visit. They now have two options that start at $28k.
Buckhead/Piedmont
2013 - 2016
PCOS, Unexplained
She [Dr. McCarthy- Keith] always greeted me by name and had clearly reviewed my file or remembered me from previous treatment. I never felt there were too many patients or rushed at any of my appointments....I felt she was very knowledgeable and did a wonderful job explaining everything to me. Always made me feel comfortable even when delivering bad news.... Because I had unexplained infertility she started off with a round of IUI. After that it was determined that IVF would likely be our best bet.
2013 - 2016
PCOS, Unexplained
I felt she was very knowledgeable and did a wonderful job explaining everything to me. Always made me feel comfortable even when delivering bad news. She was always able to answer my questions and she always listened to my concerns.
Don't be afraid to ask questions.
She always greeted me by name and had clearly reviewed my file or remembered me from previous treatment. I never felt there were too many patients or rushed at any of my appointments.
Because I had unexplained infertility she started off with a round of IUI. After that it was determined that IVF would likely be our best bet. I was given a plan and the first round I had to stop due to a polyp on my uterus. I had the surgery to remove that and then we proceeded with our round. I began the medications and had the egg retrieval which produced 18 eggs. After fertilization we had 13 eggs fertilize to create embryos but only 6 lasted until day 5. Because of our ages we had the genetic testing done. Of the 6 embryos only one was viable. We transferred the one embryo and received a positive pregnancy test. At our ultrasound appointment it was determined that I had a blighted ovum and in fact was not pregnant.
The nurses seemed to be very knowledgeable and always able to answer questions. They were always aware of the circumstances surrounding my treatment and care. A nurse was also always available to answer questions when I called, and if I had to leave a message the call was returned promptly.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility Atlanta.
The clinic has a wonderful staff and the atmosphere at the Meridian Mark Office is fantastic. I was unable to visit their other campuses. They always worked with me on my schedule. I was always seen at my scheduled time which helped since I was working. I felt very at ease, even when things were not going as planned.
My insurance covered the testing. All of my procedures were paid out of pocket. Total for all of my treatment was $20,247.01, not including the medications.
Describe Desiree McCarthy-Keith's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility Atlanta.
I think her approach was perfect because based on the results from the genetic testing it was the only viable option for us.
Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
I felt like a human because when I hurt Dr. McCarthy-Keith hurt as well. It shows she has a passion for what she does. She personable & willing to ensure as a human you’re comfortable. She’s upfront & straightforward.... She’s personable informative straightforward & tells it like it is. She gives stats & will inform you as a patient if the process will work. What she says for the ,ost part is correct & she looks out for the best interest of the patient.
Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Listen to what she says. She’s looking out for your best interest. She’s honest and will give the best treatment to whoever she comes in contact with.
After reviewing my med list from other IVF doctor, she said she will increase my dosage and recommended DHEA & CoQ10 to increase my egg quality due to my 1st retrieval being 10 eggs with only 2 fertilizing. She also stated I should continue acupuncture & change my diet and incorporate exercise.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility Atlanta. (Assigned nurse: Rita Christopher )
The nurse was great. Whenever I call she was there to answer all my questions. Very nice and pleasant.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility Atlanta.
The clinic is great! Nice staff & very friendly environment. It’s a clean environment and very welcoming. Any questions one may have anybody is there to answer. They all are caring & make sure to tend to the needs of the patient.
Meds-$500
She wants to transfer 1 embryo as opposed to 2 due to my age. I understand her logic & am in agreement with her.
Alpharetta
I stimed for 10 days retrieved only 5 eggs, 3 made it to day 5. She [Dr. Desiree McCarthy-Keith] did suggest testing our eggs but at the time we couldn't afford it. My last visit she did advise for next cycle to be aggressive and test my embryo, she feels like will be the next best step...She fully explained everything to me and my husband...She always made the call when my test came back...Dr. MK always took my request into consideration.
I loved everyone there all of my nurses was great, they all answered and assisted me with everything and answered every question I have ever had. Dr. MK always took my request into consideration. I loved this clinic and the staff.
Go in with a open mind, Dr. MK will advise you of the steps you need to follow. Just follow her lead.
She fully explained everything to me and my husband. She always spike and hug me when she saw me. She always made the call when my test came back.
I don't remember my protocol, but I do remember I stimed for 10 days retrieved only 5 eggs, 3 made it to day 5. She did suggest testing our eggs but at the time we couldn't afford it. My last visit she did advise for next cycle to be aggressive and test my embryo, she feels like will be the next best step.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility Atlanta. (Assigned nurse: Julie /Linda am not good with names)
All of them was great they had open communication and assisted me with everything
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility Atlanta.
Great communication, very compassionate. Only complaint I have is front desk can't assist with billing issues. They refer you to billing rep. That you have to wait until they call you back. Even the nurses that do you labs are great, they was always polite and understanding... Love the new look of the office.
12k
I suggest multiple due to you are giving my chances for one to be successful
PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
She [Dr. Desiree McCarthy-Keith] was amazing! Very knowledgeable, caring, compassionate and smart. We felt like she was 100% on the same page as we were. She explained all the options clearly, and helped us make the choice that was right for us..... Three IUI cycles with no success. One egg retrieval and two transfer cycles, the second of which resulted in a pregnancy and delivery of healthy baby boy.
Ashkenazi Jewish, Middle Eastern
PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
She was amazing! Very knowledgeable, caring, compassionate and smart. We felt like she was 100% on the same page as we were. She explained all the options clearly, and helped us make the choice that was right for us. She was always sweet and patient, and made us feel more positive about the whole experience. We our sooo grateful for her help and the huge role she played in the birth of our son.
Go see her!
The doctor knew my name as well as my partner's. She even remembered a joke my husband made. Was always welcoming and knowledgeable about our specific situation.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility Atlanta. (Assigned nurse: Rita and Devon)
Rita was super sweet and helpful. She communicated clearly and with much compassion and tact.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility Atlanta.
Everyone was super helpful and nice, from the front desk people to the lab techs. Everything was done in a timely manner and we were in and out quickly.
IUI's ran about $800, IVF, including all meds about $20,000