Medical SchoolWayne State
FellowshipU. of Cincinnati
3303 S.W. Bond Avenue
Portland, OR 97239
503 418-4500
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Diana Wu to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Oregon Health Sciences University to a friend?
Dr. Wu immediately made us feel comfortable from the get-go at our first appointment. She allowed us to tell our story without interruption and then very thoroughly and compassionately explained to us what we were up against and offered several options to proceed with. .... In the beginning, we just tried Ovidrel trigger shots to see if this would help me regularly ovulate, as my endometriosis was so severe that I had stopped ovulating regularly. This didn't yield any pregnancy, so then it was recommended I go through the robotic surgery to have my Stage 4 endometriosis removed, as well as a very large peritoneal cyst.
How was your experience with Diana Wu at Oregon Health Sciences University?
Dr. Wu immediately made us feel comfortable from the get-go at our first appointment. She allowed us to tell our story without interruption and then very thoroughly and compassionately explained to us what we were up against and offered several options to proceed with. After leaving our first appointment, I felt like we had hope. The road ahead seemed scary, but she has always been very re-assuring - yet very honest. When we didn't get pregnant with conservative treatment, she suggested we go ahead with surgery to remove my endometriosis and cyst. She reassured us that the whole team of doctors were going to consult on my case, as they do with every single patient there. Dr. Lee did my surgery, and I've seen him off an on throughout my IVF journey as well. Currently, I'm in the prep stage for my embryo transfer and I've had nothing but the best care throughout this entire process.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Diana Wu at Oregon Health Sciences University?
Trust the process and trust her judgment. She's exceptional and very, very thorough and particular - which is something I believe everyone wants when they're going through this sometimes scary process.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Diana Wu at Oregon Health Sciences University?
I've always felt like Dr. Wu has truly been concerned for my well being and has genuinely wanted me to get pregnant. I've never gotten the feeling that I'm "just a number". I've never met a doctor, or a group of doctors, who have so much empathy and compassion for their patient(s).
Describe the protocols Diana Wu used in your cycles at Oregon Health Sciences University and their degree of success.
In the beginning, we just tried Ovidrel trigger shots to see if this would help me regularly ovulate, as my endometriosis was so severe that I had stopped ovulating regularly. This didn't yield any pregnancy, so then it was recommended I go through the robotic surgery to have my Stage 4 endometriosis removed, as well as a very large peritoneal cyst. We were allowed to try naturally for a few months after the surgery, but I still never got pregnant, so at the end of 2017 we decided to proceed with IVF. I began birth control in December, followed by starting my IVF injections on the 5th of January 2018. Follistim (125 units), Ganirelix (.5mL), and Menopur (75 units) are the drugs used. My Follistim dosage was only slightly decreased towards the end (around day 9 of my 10 stimulation days), but otherwise she felt the prescribed dosage was keeping me right on track. Total, I had 15 follicles retrieved, but only 8 were mature. 2 made it to the blastocyst stage and are currently frozen. As of now, I've been giving Lupron injections (20 mL and now 10mL) for the last few weeks and taking Estrace 1x/day, which will start to increase in dosage starting tomorrow. On March 16th, I will start getting Progesterone injections (50mg) and then will have my planned embryo transfer on March 22nd.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oregon Health Sciences University. (Assigned nurse: Dani Greene, RN)
Dani is great. She's actually the first contact person I had when we decided to start IVF. She laid it all out in detail for me, so that I understood what the process would look like. She is very quick to respond when I send her messages in MyChart and is very thorough in making sure she's on top of sending me all of my protocols and getting all of my medications prescribed through the pharmacy.
Describe your experience with Oregon Health Sciences University.
OHSU Fertility Consultants has been great to work with. From their front office staff, to the MA's and ultrasound tech and nurses, to the physicians, I honestly have no complaints. At times, they are running behind, but I've never had to wait more than 15 minutes, and the office staff is really good about letting you know if the MD's are on time (there's a board that you can see in the waiting room with all of the MD's wait times). Plan ahead for traffic and also because there's a lot of construction going on at the OHSU Waterfront, it sometimes can take a little extra time to get yourself parked. The MD's office always validates your parking, which is really nice.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Diana Wu at Oregon Health Sciences University.
At the start, I believe the Ovidrel trigger shots were around $275. I did have to pay money for some of my consultations with Dr. Wu, as well as the ultrasounds. In total for just the IVF portion (including medications and other testing), we've spent close to $18,000.
Describe Diana Wu's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Oregon Health Sciences University.
Dr. Wu said she wasn't leaning in any particular direction in regards to this. She said at this point she feels that it's a 50/50 if we decide to transfer one vs. two. She did say she will think on it and discuss with her colleagues, and then we will talk about it again at my next follow up in a week and a half.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Dr.Wu continues to assist me in my infertility treatment and I have always appreciated her informative feedback with my treatment. I have felt that our treatment has taken a longer than expected time. The length of time seems to be because of unexpected changes in treatment. Although I know these bumps in the road were unforeseen, i wish that the potential for treatment to change or get cancelled was told to be before hand. I feel good knowing that Dr.Wu has her patient’s best interest and is always looking for ways to better improve their chances of conceiving.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
How was your experience with Diana Wu at Oregon Health Sciences University?
Be prepared for treatment to change and to take longer than you would hope for. It’s hard to do but be patient with your body and treatment.
Dr.Wu and her staff are extremely caring providers. They truly want to do the best to get you pregnant. Dr.Wu would rather do what’s best for your body and potential embryos instead of trying to rush through treatment without getting to know you and your partner.
My first treatments include 2 rounds with femara and 1 with clomid with timed intercourse. We tried this to start to assess my ovulation and egg production. We did not conceive. Next, we did 1 round with clomid and iui and had another round of iui cancelled due to early ovulation. We tried to iui to see if there was inability for the sperm to meet to egg. We unfortunately did not conceive and the cancelled iui was hard to take but it lead us to the decision to proceed with IVF in September of 2017. During our first IVF, we had a poor response the medications due to I oversuppression. We produced 1 blastocyst from the 5 mature and fertilized eggs. We were planning on a fresh transfer but was cancelled due to fluid in the uterine cavity. We had a medicated-FET transfer planned for November but it was cancelled due to irregularities in the lining of my uterus. The next plan was a natural FET in December which resulted in a chemical pregnancy. We were happy to discover we were able to conceive with IVF and would feel comfortable moving forward with a second round of IVF. I had an endometrial scratch in January 2018. I have completed a 15 day course of 2 Menopur, 300 iu of Follistim and the addiction of human growth hormone. We have already seen improvements to the quantity of my pre-retrieval follicles; we have twice as many as our last round. We go in tomorrow for retrieval and have a potential fresh transfer next week (the day before my birthday).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oregon Health Sciences University. (Assigned nurse: Oanh )
Oanh is an incredible nurse! Her compassionate and caring personality. She is great at calling back or answering when I have a question during office hours. She relays the information from the doctors afternoon meetings. On these days, the calls can be near closing time. Unfortunately, if you did not purchase medications before this time then you will be out of luck for refilling that day. I typically always tried to have enough medications for up until the next evening.
Describe your experience with Oregon Health Sciences University.
The Clinic is clean, well staffed and the online patient portal is extremely useful. The male receptionist is incredibly warm and friendly. Their office has two financial coordinators that we email your patient portion before your appointments. One of the financial coordinators (Rhonda) is very educated and informative but she is not as friendly as some of the other staff. In this position, I’d rather have some well versed in insurance than warm and bubbly. The Clinic has a total of 4 doctors that rotate so if you are the type of patient that feels more comfortable seeing 1 provider then OHSU is not for you. The positive of a multi provider practice is that you are able to have the knowledge and collective treatment plan.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Oregon Health Sciences University.
All monitoring ultrasounds are performed in the morning or before 10:40am. The times fill up with egg retrievals so you may be have a huge flexibility in scheduling.
IVF cycle (not including meds) was $12,084. My meds ranged between $5,000 for my first cycle and $7000 for my current round. IUI was around $1500
Based on her patient assessment criteria, Dr.Wu informed us that we could transfer up to two embryos. Sadly, we only had one make it to transfer.
What specific things went wrong at Oregon Health Sciences University?
Portland
Dr. Wu showed empathy each time we didn’t get the results as we hoped, yet she was still open and honest with us as to all the possibilities, results and further options.... Initially Dr. Wu wanted try less invasive procedures while we worked on the process of elimination for our unexplained fertility. After all the blood work came back perfect and my husbands semen analysis was normal, we did an HSG test to ensure that there were no tubes blocked. After that test came back normal we did a cycle of letrozole to make sure that I was creating follicles and ovulation.
How was your experience with Diana Wu at Oregon Health Sciences University?
Again, Dr. Wu showed empathy which was nice to see in a doctor. Yes, she got to the point but she also took the time to really explain our results and options rather than just rushing on to the next patient.
Schedule your consult ASAP! I’m sad we waited a whole year to make the phone call from our initial referral from our primary care doctor..
Initially Dr. Wu wanted try less invasive procedures while we worked on the process of elimination for our unexplained fertility. After all the blood work came back perfect and my husbands semen analysis was normal, we did an HSG test to ensure that there were no tubes blocked. After that test came back normal we did a cycle of letrozole to make sure that I was creating follicles and ovulation. Upon the mid cycle scan to double check that it was found that I had two mature follicles. I was given the option to try with timed intercourse or try an IUI. We went the IUI route. We continued this for a few more cycles in hopes of getting pregnant. I created one to two mature follicles each cycle. After the third IUI didn’t work we again met with Dr. Wu to determine our next steps. At that point we decided we were ready to try IVF. She decided she wanted us to do an antagonist protocol so we started our IVF cycle. Due to my age and high number or follicles she started me on very low doses of the atom medication and had me scheduled for frequent (every other day) ultrasounds and blood work to ensure I didn’t get Ovarian Hyperstimulation. During my first ultrasound in day 4 of stims they saw I had about 40 follicles between my two ovaries. We did 13 days of stimulation. Between day 5 and 6 of stimulation, my estrogen level dropped so they increased my follistem by 25 IU’s in hopes of it increasing. It did go back up, but they think due to this drop it caused 5 if my follicles to take the lead and the others to stop growing. On day 13 of stimulation we finally had 2 follicles that were mature. Dr. Wu predicted they would retrieve 4-5 mature follicles and of those they hoped for two embryos. She gave us the option to either proceed with the retrieval or turn it into an IUI cycle. Die to the fact that I create so many follicles, my husband and I decided to do the IUI instead in hopes of not needing to date another cycle, but if we did we would be able to get more eggs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oregon Health Sciences University. (Assigned nurse: Dani)
Dani was very thorough during the whole process. She would always call on the phone and then send a follow up email to ensure I had all the information needed. She was always friendly and sympathetic.
Describe your experience with Oregon Health Sciences University.
A huge strength is that the whole team of very friendly. Everyone from the front desk, the nurse who draws your blood to the doctor we’re always very kind. I would always leave there thinking how friendly everyone was. My husband and I would even often talk about it on our way out. They are also large enough that they have early morning hours and weekend appointments available for cycling patients. There is also a pharmacy in the same building which made picking up medications very convenient.
Consultation appointment- $425 Mid-cycle scan/ ultrasound- $325 each IUI including sperm wash and Artificial Insemination- $463 each Genetics Consult- $107 The IVF package we chose included 1 retrieval and up to two transfer- $13,009. Medication for IVF cycle- $3,072.67
We did not make it to the transfer, but I know she mentioned only transferring one, possibly 2 embryos depending on how many we got.
Portland
Dr. Wu is so personable. When you consult with her, you meet her in her office, which feels very peaceful. She remembers personal details about you, and asks follow-up questions with genuine care.... Dr. Wu first managed my care in the middle of a frozen transfer cycle with a doctor out-of-state. The first thing she did was check my vitamin D and thryoid, and immediately put me on supplements and a thyroid med for low thyroid.
How was your experience with Diana Wu at Oregon Health Sciences University?
We had our IVF cycle and embryo transfer in one state and relocated. Dr. Wu was willing to manage my care in Oregon, which was so helpful. She is highly educated on new research in the fertility world, and often brought in that knowledge and expertise to my care. I felt like she was giving me the best possible chance at becoming pregnant and having a baby.
Dr. Wu first managed my care in the middle of a frozen transfer cycle with a doctor out-of-state. The first thing she did was check my vitamin D and thryoid, and immediately put me on supplements and a thyroid med for low thyroid. I believe this was the reason my 3rd embryo transfer was successful. She also doubled my progesterone dose at this time. Unfortunately, this transfer ultimately ended in miscarriage at 15 weeks. After I healed, she did another frozen transfer using the standard protocol - birth control for a certain amount of time, then estrogen pills, the progesterone IM injections, 10 mL daily. This transfer resulted in a negative test. Then I did a "natural cycle" transfer, whichI highly recommend if you meet the criteria. From everything Dr. Wu told me and what I read, a natural cycle has the same success as a medicated one, when certain criteria are met. The meds were cheaper, monitoring was less, and I felt like it was more natural. It ended in a negative test as well, but there were questions surrounding both transfers related to the quality of the embryos after thawing. They just didn't thaw well (they were frozen at another clinic).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oregon Health Sciences University.
The nurse coordinator seemed kind and helpful. She was very warm, reassuring, and encouraging. I always felt like she had a large caseload though. Messages were usually returned promptly, but not always, and she sometimes had to refer to notes before answering a question, which is definitely a good thing, but just made me feel like she didn't know me as well.
Describe your experience with Oregon Health Sciences University.
The clinic is in a highly academic environment. There are lots of hallways and rooms, and you can feel a little lost. It is well run and efficient. The waiting area is beautiful, offering huge windows with a great view of downtown Portland. The staff are all professional and friendly.
A frozen transfer was around $2,000 including all monitoring.
Dr. Wu elected both times to have 2 embryos transferred. This was done after careful consideration of my health history. This was my 4th and 5th transfer, so that was the main reason for trying 2 each time. I was referred to a high-risk OB/GYN before the transfers though to make sure that there wouldn't be any unusual risks to me should both embryos take and I become pregnant with twins. I appreciated that she wanted an outside opinion to make sure this was a safe option before pursuing the 2-embryo transfer.
Portland
Dr. Wu is very kind, energetic, and knowledgeable. She looked at our case as a whole and made adjustments according to us. She explained things fully, and would re-explain if we had questions. I can’t wait to try for baby #2 with her in the future.... After each fail she would personally call us to talk about what she thought went wrong, she also called after our BFP.... once we figured out that polyps were an issue we adjusted the plan to include a d&c before the next transfer. This resulted in our BFP
Trust her
Dr. We was very friendly. After each fail she would personally call us to talk about what she thought went wrong, she also called after our BFP.
I can’t recall our exact protocol, but once we figured out that polyps were an issue we adjusted the plan to include a d&c before the next transfer. This resulted in our BFP
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oregon Health Sciences University. (Assigned nurse: Pam)
The staff was amazing! They were kind, remembered us, and by the time we “graduated “ they would give us hugs and encouragement
Describe your experience with Oregon Health Sciences University.
Strength: amazing team to work with, payment plans available, always got back to me when I had questions, pharmacy mailed medication Weakness: downtown Portland.... parking could be a pain, medication was spendy, no clinics closer to where I live.
We got a loan for our process minus medication: $23k Medication: $6-7k
2 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
We are so grateful that we found Dr. Wu along our fertility journey and cannot thank her and her team enough for helping us achieve our dream of having a baby. We found Dr. Wu to be one of the most caring physicians we have had, very knowledgeable and so compassionate. We really appreciated that she paid such close attention to all of the details of the IVF cycle. You can tell she loves what she does, genuinely cares for her patients and wants to help them get pregnant.
2 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Trust in her care
We loved Dr.Wu!! We had such a wonderful experience working with her and her nurse. She always knew and remembered our history, and paid careful attention to every detail of our treatment plans. We knew she genuinely cared for us and about our goal of having a baby, and always rooting for us to succeed.
2 Clomid and IUI cycles Donor egg IVF
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oregon Health Sciences University. (Assigned nurse: Lori)
We knew that nurses were also rooting for our success and were very caring and helpful.
Describe your experience with Oregon Health Sciences University.
The waiting room has a beautiful view of the city which can be calming before ultrasound and blood draw visits. The office can be busy so try to be patient. The staff and doctors are all very caring, and we know they are trying their best to make sure we're well taken care of.
We did a single embryo transfer and conceived on the 1st cycle, which resulted in our son. We have another 5 blastocysts frozen and plan to try for another baby next year.
Portland
Dr. Wu has always very professional and warm. She calmly laid out our plan and likelihood of success without offering any crazy promises...My wife took one round of fertility drugs and we started with IUI, as Dr. Wu thought this would carry a good likelihood of success without the financial burden of IVF. Fortunately, this initial treatment resulted in a pregnancy and successful birth...
How was your experience with Diana Wu at Oregon Health Sciences University?
My wife and I were always treated with the utmost respect by Dr. Wu. Her plan for us was laid out clearly and luckily we had a successful pregnancy after one round of IUI and hormonal treatment.
Describe your experience with Oregon Health Sciences University.
OHSU is well organized and offers all services within their organization. They don't push for IVF as a first resort, unless necessary
Our total costs were under $1000 as the fertility drugs and IUI were mostly covered by health insurance.
Portland
She [Dr. Wu] has fair bedside manner, but did talk over us a few times, which was significantly less then desirable. she did allow a lot of space for answering questions and did not rush us at all, which was appreciated...
She has fair bedside manner, but did talk over us a few times, which was significantly less then desirable. she did allow a lot of space for answering questions and did not rush us at all, which was appreciated
What specific things went wrong at Oregon Health Sciences University?