Vanderbilt Center for Women's Health

Doctor, Nurse available by emailAvailable by cell phone
Medical SchoolEastern Virginia Jones
ResidencyColumbia
FellowshipWinthrop U.
719 Thompson Lane
Nashville, TN 37115
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Donna Session to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 100%9.7
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Vanderbilt Center for Women's Health to a friend?
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
she [Dr. Donna Session] is quick to return correspondence. She is very knowledgeable and discusses the science behind her decision making. She is patient and will answer all of your questions and look into things that she may not have considered before. She also very carefully reviewed records from another clinic and went through all of her concerns regarding prior treatment.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Donna Session at Vanderbilt Center for Women's Health?
Again, she is quick to return correspondence. She is very knowledgeable and discusses the science behind her decision making. She is patient and will answer all of your questions and look into things that she may not have considered before. She also very carefully reviewed records from another clinic and went through all of her concerns regarding prior treatment.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Donna Session at Vanderbilt Center for Women's Health?
Dr. Session is very smart and kind but she is not the "warm and fuzzy" type which is perfectly fine given the quality of her care.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Donna Session at Vanderbilt Center for Women's Health?
I felt that she took the time to talk to me during every visit. I never feel rushed. She always returns my phone calls or electronic messages as does her nurse.
Describe the protocols Donna Session used in your cycles at Vanderbilt Center for Women's Health and their degree of success.
She has different strategies for every patient depending on what your baseline issue is. For patients with DOR with a low AFC she will consider clomid or letrozole focusing and getting fewer, high quality eggs rather than having patients spend 4-6K on injectable medications that will yield similar results. For patients with mid-tier AFC she will max out medications and prime with estradiol patches or lupron. She rarely does this for the first cycle due to fear of ovarian hyperstimulation. Her strategies are largely patient dependent.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Vanderbilt Center for Women's Health. (Assigned nurse: Jodie )
Jodie is kind and will try her hardest to get what you need done. She is very hopeful and seems to genuinely want everyone to do well.
Describe your experience with Vanderbilt Center for Women's Health.
Weakness: difficult to get in contact with someone over the phone in the event of an emergency. There are several road blocks you have to overcome in order to get in touch with someone who can help. Strengths: Once you are able to get through to the staff everyone is very helpful and supportive.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Donna Session at Vanderbilt Center for Women's Health.
Describe Donna Session's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Vanderbilt Center for Women's Health.
For fresh transfers, if embryo quality is fair to poor on day 3 or five she may transfer 2 or more. For good quality day 5 embryos in patients in their mid thirties and below she will recommend transferring one embryo and will give estimates on the chance of multiples if patients have assisted hatching or PGD testing done.
What specific things went wrong at Vanderbilt Center for Women's Health?
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
I felt that Dr Session listened to all of our questions and answered the best she could. She definitely reads up on the latest studies and is proactive in treatment. While it was sometimes frustrating to go to some of the ultrasounds to check follicles and not see the Doctor and see a resident, she was there for all the important procedures...When we received a negative result she called me as soon as she could to find out how I was and give me options for next time if we chose to do it again.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
How was your experience with Donna Session at Tennessee Reproductive Medicine?
I felt that Dr Session listened to all of our questions and answered the best she could. She definitely reads up on the latest studies and is proactive in treatment. While it was sometimes frustrating to go to some of the ultrasounds to check follicles and not see the Doctor and see a resident, she was there for all the important procedures. Sometimes it is still difficult to make the decisions you are trying to make based solely on percentages and statistics, but it is a numbers game. When we received a negative result she called me as soon as she could to find out how I was and give me options for next time if we chose to do it again.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Donna Session at Tennessee Reproductive Medicine?
Be prepared to spend a good amount of time at the office if you have alot of questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Donna Session at Tennessee Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Sessions is very thorough and answers any and all questions you have. She is concerned with your well being. The nurses are very caring and personable.
Describe the protocols Donna Session used in your cycles at Tennessee Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
My protocol started with using estrogen patches and Cetrotide 9 days after a positive ovulation kit to suppress because I have diminished ovarian reserve. Then I used Gonal-F at a high dose twice a day plus Menopur 75iu until the follicles were a good size and then used Cetrotide. After retrieval I used progesterone in oil shots and Lovenox shots to help with clotting due to previous pregnancy losses. We were originally going to PGS test but decided not to when we only had 3.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Tennessee Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie)
Stephanie went over and above my expectations. She was caring, responsive and communicated well through the process. She always called when she said she would after a blood draw, even on Saturday.
Describe your experience with Tennessee Reproductive Medicine.
There are many times when there is a long wait for your appointment but it doesn't happen every time. Sometimes there seem to be communication issues internally.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Donna Session at Tennessee Reproductive Medicine.
We had to do a self pay plan due to no insurance coverage for fertility treatments but they did cover diagnostic testing. It was $12,000 for the IVF process, $550 for anesthesia and PGS was $5,500 but was optional. The meds were purchased from an outside pharmacy.
Tennessee Reproductive Medicine
Chattanooga
Each visit she [Dr Donna Session] is the one who does the ultrasounds, gives me info, etc. I have never had an appointment where I didn't see her...When I had started seeing Dr. Session I had already been through 4 rounds of clomid, unmonitored. She immediately recommended switching to Femara. She was never pushy about any treatment. We are currently on our second round of Femara with Trigger shot. She is allowing us to decide when we are ready to move into IUI.
Dr. Session is the other person that I see. Each visit she is the one who does the ultrasounds, gives me info, etc. I have never had an appointment where I didn't see her. On my first visit there was a student doctor in the room who took notes for me and helped Dr. Session explain things. It was very helpful! She is quiet and doesn't get excited or have that type of personality, but she is kind. I never feel rushed or feel that she is in a hurry.
Have questions ready to ask before you go to your appointment. Keep notes and don't be afraid to ask her anything.
Dr. Session has always been very kind and knowledgable. I never feel like I am just another patient. She takes her time and is compassionate.
Most of the nurses that I have seen have been great. I did have one experience with a nurse that was bland. She was not one of Dr. Sessions nurses and was filling in since I was the Doctors only patient that day.
Describe your experience with Vanderbilt Center for Women's Health.
Vanderbilt Clinic is very large. I prefer a smaller office. I see Dr. Session at the 100 Oaks facility and it feels like an airport. It is nice that everything is in one location, but I am happy that she is moving to a smaller office end of May.
Luckily, my insurance covered anything that had to be done to determine why I am not able to get pregnant. I did have to pay a co-pay for each visit and my ultrasounds, thus far, have only cost me $30 out of pocket for each. The trigger shots cost $162 each and were not covered by insurance at all. Fertility meds have been $7 each month.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Session is amazing! Her care and personality are wonderful. I got all the answers I needed and never had to second guess her medical decisions for me. I was allowed to be an active participant in my care.... Dr. Session was on point and told me what to expect and the potential outcomes. I always have the big picture, good and bad. She is also very caring and loving, and you feel that you are her priority when she is with you
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Session was on point and told me what to expect and the potential outcomes. I always have the big picture, good and bad. She is also very caring and loving, and you feel that you are her priority when she is with you.
Expect the truth. She is not rude but she is going to let you know what you need to hear.
First cycle-high doses of Gonal-F, high doses of menopur, and cetrotide. Second cycle-more of a mini ivf cycle. Letrozole, Gonal-F 75, Menopur, and cetrotide. The thought was to do lower doses but for an extended period. This was in hope that my ovaries would respond better.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Vanderbilt Center for Women's Health. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie and Hollie)
They are the absolute best. They inform you daily with lab results and the recommendation from the doctor. They are considerate of your time. Always happy and smiling.
Describe your experience with Vanderbilt Center for Women's Health.
Weakness is the office manager. She is unprofessional, unorganized, and overall insensitive to the infertility and financial aspects. She is the worst part of this clinic.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Vanderbilt Center for Women's Health.
It was convenient for my schedule.
All office and doctor costs were in network. All lab costs were out of network with my plan.