Medical SchoolU. of Texas Southwestern
281-444-4784
111 Vision Park
The Woodlands, TX 77384
281-444-4784
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Dorothy Roach to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend North Houston Center for Reproductive Medicine to a friend?
As a patient I got every answer I needed [from Dr. Dorothy Roach]. I was put on meds that I needed that made me sick, and she was understanding, but also explained the importance and basically told me I had to take them. She was sympathetic when I had a chemical pregnancy and was there to let us know what to do next, which resulted in our little girl finally!...She always made time for us and never rushed us. She answered all questions and told me the truth whether I liked it or not. I needed that.
How was your experience with Dorothy Roach at North Houston Center for Reproductive Medicine?
As a patient I got every answer I needed. I was put on meds that I needed that made me sick, and she was understanding, but also explained the importance and basically told me I had to take them. She was sympathetic when I had a chemical pregnancy and was there to let us know what to do next, which resulted in our little girl finally!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Dorothy Roach at North Houston Center for Reproductive Medicine?
Trust the process. She will find the issue and a solution for your specific needs.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Dorothy Roach at North Houston Center for Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the protocols Dorothy Roach used in your cycles at North Houston Center for Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
I have PCOS, and she first put me on Metformin for 2 months before starting Provera to make me have a cycle. I also took Clomid 100mg starting on cycle day 3. I did not ovulate. The next cycle of Provera and Clomid 150mg starting on day 5 I had a chemical pregnancy. She prescribed progesterone vaginal suppositories to try to get my levels up, but it did not work. We did another round of Provera and Clomid 150mg starting on cycle day 3 and I got pregnant and had a healthy pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at North Houston Center for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Angela)
Angela was so sweet! She was always energetic on the phone and was comforting when she called to tell me the bad news of my chemical pregnancy.
Describe your experience with North Houston Center for Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic, both locations, are very nice and comforting. They are organized and always on time. The Woodlands location has a LabCorp close to it, so it's easy to get your bloodwork done if you need to before or after an appointment.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Dorothy Roach at North Houston Center for Reproductive Medicine.
I had to pay $500 up front and any other visits were a $20 co-pay. I think I had about 4 visits with her.
Describe Dorothy Roach's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at North Houston Center for Reproductive Medicine.
Kingwood
She [Dr. Dorothy Roach] actually did not look at my HSG images because her computer could not read the disc so she "just took the imaging centers word for it". She then said I could do IUI, IVF, or try clomid and fermera. Seeing as though she did not know what the problem was, I did the pills for half a year and nothing changed, not even my blood tests. She then stated IVF was really our only option. I was a bit frustrated because we spend lots of money on many tests and nothing was out of range. She just diagnosed me with unexplained infertility. We decided to move and were too far to continue IVF with Dr. Roach.
Dr. Roach's stats indicate that she has some of the highest success rates in the area. My 23 year old friend, went to her and got pregnant with twins. Dr. Roach comes with a lot of experience and seems to be set in her ways and thinking. For example, she put emphasis on weight and diet as much as she would on the results of a blood test. This was frustrating to me because I was within normal range for weight and diet, yet had been struggling with infertility for years and knew I needed scientific answers, not to be told to eat healthier and gain 10lbs. I told her my diet was high in quinoa and she stated that she had never heard of that food. This was concerning to me since she spoke a lot on what foods to eat. Dr. Roach gave me all the regular monthly blood test and hsg test. All seemed to come out normal. She actually did not look at my HSG images because her computer could not read the disc so she "just took the imaging centers word for it". She then said I could do IUI, IVF, or try clomid and fermera. Seeing as though she did not know what the problem was, I did the pills for half a year and nothing changed, not even my blood tests. She then stated IVF was really our only option. I was a bit frustrated because we spend lots of money on many tests and nothing was out of range. She just diagnosed me with unexplained infertility. We decided to move and were too far to continue IVF with Dr. Roach.
I would tell them to do their own research on what other doctors have been trying because Dr. Roach does not seem to do this and is set in her ways regardless of what new research os out there. I would also say to keep track of billing as they sometimes charge too much and forget to give you a credit on your next billing statement.
During my time with Dr. Roach she was cooridal, but I would not say she was a "warm" person. She did not seem interested in doing many tests to diagnose me and seemed to "push" IVF every time I saw her. This made me feel and think that IVF was her real money- maker and that is why she brought it up so much. Other than that she did not seem like an unkind person and she was recommended by a friend.
I was put on a high red meat diet with a mediterranean diet. I was told to gain 10lbs. I had a HSG test that was all clear and had my blood drawn every month on 3 different cycle days. I was put on several cycles of femara and clomid. All of my results came out normal and I did not get pregnant. Male mobility test and count came out very good as well. Unexplained infertility.
The nurses all looked very profession in dress and speech. I only had basic interaction with the nurses and they were all satisfactory.
Describe your experience with North Houston Center for Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic was in a nice location near many large hospitals. The equipment seems to be new. Billing frequently over charged as you had to pay before you see the doctor and they are not sure of she will do any procedures that they need to bill for so they guess on what she might do and bill you for it. Then if she doesn't do anything you should get a " credit" for next time. However the credit usually gets lost unless you remind them.
Much was out of pocket . I believe it was $50-$100 to speak to Dr. Roach even if only for 10mins. her IVF started at $8,600 at the time.
If we had gone through with IVE with Dr. Roach, she would have transferred 2 embryos at a time.
What specific things went wrong at North Houston Center for Reproductive Medicine?
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Roach is the only doctor at her practice, which has its advantages and drawbacks. The advantage is that she will meet you personally at each visit to discuss your plan, treatment, and to answer any questions. Dr. Roach is very intelligent and has been practicing in the field for a long time. She may not exude tons of warm fuzziness, but I sensed that she did genuinely care about my well-being and wanted a successful outcome for me as her patient...
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Roach initially met with myself and my husband and she understood our specific situation with male factor. She explained our options, which were IUI using donor sperm or IVF and the help of a urologist. We never felt pressured by her to lean one way or another. She presented facts, answered our questions, and never rushed us. Her candid approach didn't bother me in the least and I never found her to be rude. When we opted to go with IUI using donor, she reassured me that I was making a good choice for us as a couple, which I appreciated. She and I did hit a bump in the road when she seemed reluctant to complete the paperwork that I needed to purchase vials for the donor of our choice at The Sperm Bank of California. Admittedly, the paperwork was new to her. She initially would not complete the paperwork in its entirety, which prevented me from ordering from that bank with the perfect donor for us. Once she realized what needed to be completed and that I was willing to walk if this wasn't done, she relented and we were able to move forward pleasantly with the first IUI using the donor of our choice. I appreciated this very much. Dr. Roach is great is seems to have more of a naturalist approach to medicine. She shares her knowledge and expertise, but let me decide on using clomid or not for my first IUI. One drawback is that since she is the only practicing doctor, is she is out for any reason (i.e. out for one week), it may translate to having to wait until she returns for treatment. As timing in all of this is critical, it can delay a dream for one month.
Listen to Dr. Roach's recommendations based on your set of circumstances. She is very smart and has been in the field for a long time, so she's also highly experienced. However, offer your own input and be your own advocate for your treatment when you need to. I definitely had to do so in my case because as parients, only we can make the best choices for ourselves and our families and this choices will affect us and our families going forward beyond the window of treatment with any doctor. Ultimately, Dr. Roach has always honored and respected my wishes as a patient.
Dr. Roach had an approach that was personal. She wanted me to attempt 3 IUIs and later do an hsg test in the event that they failed rather than doing the hsg test first and then going forward with the treatment. When my first treatment failed and this hit me hard emotionally, I realized that I wanted that hsg test done before I invested anymore time or money in IUIS. I also wanted the clomid. I presented these requests to her, and she complied. Sometimes, you have to take the reins in your own treatment.
There is only one nurse for Dr. Roach. This nurse services all patients and is also the liaison with regard to communication with Dr. Roach.
Her costs, are by far, the least expensive at $770 per IUI versus $1,000 and up elsewhere. She has this strongly in her favor.
Anovulation, PCOS, Other
Dr Roach's knowledge and experience is why I chose to see her. She looked at my case individually and prescribed treatment accordingly...Trust her. I was convinced nothing would work for me given we'd been trying for 5+ years when we began seeing her. I was shocked to get a positive pregnancy test with just my second IUI.
Anovulation, PCOS, Other
Each time I visited the office, it felt like everyone knew me and treated me like family.
We started with 50mg Clomid for 2 cycles. No success, but Dr Roach obviously gave us the most minimally invasive treatment to begin with. My blood work came back great with increased hormone levels. Dr Roach changed me to 5mg Femera due to Clomid's tendency to thin the uterine lining and we opted to go straight to IUI given the time we'd been trying. In addition to Femera on days 3-7, 250mg Ovidrel trigger shot on day 14, IUI day 16day. 100mg progesterone 3 days post IUI. That cycle was unsuccessful with spotting on day 27 despite the progesterone. Second IUI cycle Dr Roach increased my medication dosage - 7.5mg Femera days 4-8, 250mg Ovidrel trigger shot at 12 day ultrasound, IUI day 14. 400mg progesterone 3 days post IUI together with 4mg estradiol. Positive pregnancy test 14 days post IUI! Hubby was on FertileAid herbal supplements to increase motility and count. Worked - we got 75% motility on the second IUI up from 12% in the first analysis.
Describe your experience with your nurse at North Houston Center for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Angela Brasington)
Angela was prompt in returning telephone calls and communicating Dr Roach's next course of treatment for me.
Describe your experience with North Houston Center for Reproductive Medicine.
I love how small the clinic was, it felt very comfortable and I was always at ease when I entered the door. Assistant staff were very helpful too.
Approximately $900 per IUI cycle (ultrasound, lab fee and procedure) plus medication. My insurance covered nothing.
Anovulation, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Each treatment [with Dr. Dorothy Roach] is tailored for me to have the maximum effectiveness in hopes of conceiving...Dr Roach is incredibly kind and shows so much compassion in every situation and yet will tell you like it is. She explains everything in a way that is easy to understand but never makes you feel like you're an idiot! Being the only doctor in the practice ensures an intimate experience where you really get to know her and her staff.
Anovulation, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Come with questions! She will sit with you for as long as it takes to answer each and every one of your questions. If you don't understand something, be sure to speak up!
Everyone in her office knows my name and remembers my medical history without having to look at my file. Each treatment is tailored for me to have the maximum effectiveness in hopes of conceiving.
10mg Femara cycle days 3-7, ultrasound day 12, 250mcg Ovidrel injection day 13 between 3-4pm, IUI day 14, progesterone suppository days 16-28, pregnancy test day 28.
Angela is amazing! She always calls you back within a few minutes to a few hours when you leave her a message, she's super friendly, and knows her stuff!
Describe your experience with North Houston Center for Reproductive Medicine.
This clinic is extremely good at what they do. They've created a relaxed atmosphere where as a patient you feel comfortable and know you're in the best hands. Appointments never feel rushed. From the doctor to the ladies working at the front desk, everyone makes you feel like you're the most important part of their day. The only downside is that cell phone reception stinks inside the building!
The Woodlands
Dr. Roach is a great physician it's a small clinic with one nurse and both Dr. Roach and her nurse make you feel very welcomed, we could only afford one cycle of IUI since they were out of network with our insurance but I didn't want to choose another Dr I really liked her.... Her nurse is amazing she answers all your questions and she calls back in a timely manner!... Listen to her advice she knows what she's talking about.
European, Black or African-American
Listen to her advice she knows what she's talking about.
Describe your experience with North Houston Center for Reproductive Medicine.
I didn't really experience any weaknesses with this clinic. As with any clinic verify your insurance to make sure you're in network, have your questions ready so you don't forget and log your cycles so you can give exact dates.
The IUI was around 800-900 I believe the medications were between 10 to 70 each
The Woodlands
[Dr Roach was] friendly, helpful, straight to the point. Didn't sugar coat, but still had wonderful bedside manner....From the person who picked up the phone to my release, everyone was friendly and accommodating. Staff [at North Houston Center for Reproductive Medicine] was familiar with my case and prepared every contact I had with them....They faxed orders to an out of state lab when I had to travel in the middle of a cycle for a death in the family.
Friendly, helpful, straight to the point. Didn't sugar coat, but still had wonderful bedside manner.
Trust her.
From the person who picked up the phone to my release, everyone was friendly and accommodating. Staff was familiar with my case and prepared every contact I had with them.
Clomid, metformin Er, with Ti. 3 rounds before moving to IUI.
Describe your experience with your nurse at North Houston Center for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Angela )
Absolutely awesome. They faxed orders to an out of state lab when I had to travel in the middle of a cycle for a death in the family.
Describe your experience with North Houston Center for Reproductive Medicine.
Clinic is small. Actual person picks up the phone. Organized.
Insurance covered everything.
Anovulation, PCOS, Other
Dr Roach has so much knowledge and experience, she tailored my treatment plan for my individual case. I always felt I was in the right hands for someone who had been struggling with infertility for 5 years...Each time I visited the office, I was greeted by all the staff like they knew me...
Trust her.