Medical SchoolAlbert Einstein
FellowshipHarvard
590 Country Club Parkway
Eugene, OR 97401
541.868.9755
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Douglas Austin to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Fertility Center of Oregon to a friend?
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids, Other, Unexplained
Dr. Austin is a great communicator and is really knowledgeable. He has even given us medical information on non-fertility related issues that was spot-on, as well. I appreciate that he is readily available and active in the practice. I wanted to try something different with our last FET, as it was our last 2 embryos. We ended up doing 2 things different with the protocol but I feel like there are probably a lot more options out there that could help, but it seemed like those were the only things that could be added to the cycle. I'm not sure that the size of the clinic allows for a lot of creativity when it comes to personalizing treatment.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids, Other, Unexplained
How was your experience with Douglas Austin at Fertility Center of Oregon?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Douglas Austin at Fertility Center of Oregon?
Never be afraid to ask questions. Push for more information. Be your own advocate.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Douglas Austin at Fertility Center of Oregon?
Dr. Austin has great "bed-side" manner. He is personable and I feel like he is genuinely interested in helping us in our journey to become parents. I feel like he doesn't sugar-coat things and will give you straight answers to any questions you may have....and I've had a lot! He knows our names and knows our story by this point. He is the only doctor in the practice, so he does most, if not all of the procedures. (Sometimes ultrasounds may be done by the NP in the office.)
Describe the protocols Douglas Austin used in your cycles at Fertility Center of Oregon and their degree of success.
For our IUIs, we used Femara. For our egg retrieval, I believe I was on Menopur, Gonal, Lupron, Ganirelix, and Progesterone in Oil. For our FET, I was on Estradiol Valerate and PIO.
We have had 2 FETs that both ended in negative pregnancy tests. Both times, the nurses were very compassionate when they called with the results and were great at answering my questions that followed from the test results.
Describe your experience with Fertility Center of Oregon.
I think the clinic is very warm and welcoming. Everyone that works there is friendly and compassionate. They know us by name and I feel like they are all experts in their respective fields. I feel like if someone needs more creativity with their situation, a larger office with more doctors, etc. may be a better fit for their needs. I was recommended to this clinic by a friend who had a successful IVF cycle and have, in turn, referred Dr. Austin and this clinic to other friends needing help growing their family .
Describe the costs associated with your care under Douglas Austin at Fertility Center of Oregon.
IVF with egg retrieval was about $9,500, plus medications of about $2,500. FET was about $1,450, plus medications.
Describe Douglas Austin's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Center of Oregon.
We transferred 2 embryos both our FET. Dr. Austin was very clear about the possibility of having multiples, as a result, and that we needed to be prepared for that.
2013 - 2018
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
2013 - 2018
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
How was your experience with Douglas Austin at Fertility Center of Oregon?
Dr. Austin is very kind, listens to my concerns. He talks to my husband a lot as well which makes him feel included, sometimes too much- I wish he would talk to me more than my husband. Dr. Austin treats me like the medical professional that I am, which I appreciate. I am a very type A person and Dr.Austin has made me feel, at times, like I am being too cautious or worried about the fertility plan (or step) that we are on and that very much frustrates me. It isn’t his body (or his babies) that are hanging in the balance.
Have a consult with him and ask lots of questions. Also, call the office a lot and check in to make sure what Dr. Austin says actually happens.
Dr. Austin is very kind, makes you feel very comfortable and listens to all questions.
We did a 5d transfer fresh cycle with injectable for my only successful pregnancy. We were encouraged that with subsequent frozen attempts it was quick and painless, only to find out that frozen cycles also take 12 weeks of planning (scheduling) and then if you fail your cycle you have to WAIT until you can be fit into the next cycle, very frustrating to fail and then have to wait to start for many more weeks.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Center of Oregon. (Assigned nurse: Sharon, IVF nurse )
Sharon is an extremely kind individual and very organized, she often responds to calls and issues within a few hours. The only problem I have is what gets discussed to be the plan with Dr. Austin in the procedure room does NOT always seem to be the plan that gets discussed with us by Sharon.
Describe your experience with Fertility Center of Oregon.
Wonderful clinic overall. Very kind desk people who know my voice when I call and speak to me by name. Finance people have always dealt kindly with us and found a way to make our finances work. Clinic is in a easily accessible location. New renovations have created a clean, modern feel. Appreciate that all procedures can be done right in the clinic, no need to visit other locations for treatment.
Fresh cycle meds:$3-4K Fresh cycle:$10k Frozen cycle:$3,500 Frozen cycle meds$800 Frozen cycle after loss $1,700
We have only transferred in multiples. Risk was discussed with us each time, but once the risks were weighed it seemed to be our choice.
Eugene
Dr. Austin is an incredible Dr. That out my best interest in mind while folkowing my wishes.... He is very attentive and interested in my goals to grow a family. He is also very personable and easy to talk to about any issues or concerns we may have during our journey.... When I first came to his office I did some blood tests and then continued clomid/famara and then did the 3 IUI's. He didn't think it would be smart to waste more money to Continue the IUI's so we began talking about IVF which I followed through with.
How was your experience with Douglas Austin at Fertility Center of Oregon?
He is very attentive and interested in my goals to grow a family. He is also very personable and easy to talk to about any issues or concerns we may have during our journey. Many questions arise through all the meds and procedures, he always answers honestly and has never been misleading.
Ask as many questions as possible! There are so many routes to take once you've made it to a fertility specialist, it can be confusing and expensive. Don't be shy to bring up cost!
When I first came to his office I did some blood tests and then continued clomid/famara and then did the 3 IUI's. He didn't think it would be smart to waste more money to Continue the IUI's so we began talking about IVF which I followed through with. I did 3 rounds, 2 embryos each round. One fresh and the other two frozen. I have now ran out of frozen eggs so I have now decided to to another egg retrieval and will do PGS.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Center of Oregon. (Assigned nurse: Sharon Huff)
She was very direct, on top of meds, date, dosages, procedures and so on. She always calls back with urgency and answers to my questions.
Describe your experience with Fertility Center of Oregon.
I honestly have no complaints, this office is very organized and know you by name when you walk in. I always feel comfortable in this office. There have been many times when I have to walk in to get a blood draw and they always give me a happy hello!
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Fertility Center of Oregon.
I have no complaints. Easy to schedule appointments for before I started work and a quick in and out.
With IVF I know I had to put $5,000 down and the the rest I could do a payment plan with. The IVF drugs I also had to pay for out of pocket. He nurse coordinator did point me towards another patient that was reliable that was getting rid of left over meds to get them for a cheaper rate.
Honestly he was willing to do either for us since we have never have a positive pregnancy test.
2014 - 2017
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
2014 - 2017
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Douglas Austin at Fertility Center of Oregon?
Dr. Austin is a very sweet, caring doctor. He is fun and down to earth. He doesn't just see his patients as people coming/going, he treats them as friends in that he likes to get to them as individuals/people. He takes the time to ask questions about how you are doing and what is new in your every day life. His ability to interact on a personal level and remember details is comforting. My husband and I have complete faith in him, as his actions have proven and continue to prove he is willing to go above and beyond in an effort to make it possible to see us grow our family. Dr. Austin is more than a doctor, he is our friend.
Become your own advocate, dig into educating yourself on infertility, personal diagnosis, ask questions. Infertility is such a broad, large issue with so many potential issues, do you due diligence and do your homework... this is a team effort!
My husband and I connect very well with Dr. Austin and his staff and after years of treatments/trying to conceive I think of them as part of my family. Through their words and actions, I know they truly care about us and want to see us have a baby or babies.
I have low AMH, a low ovarian reserve. That is our only known issue. Our protocol has focused on growing as many follicles as we can possible get (as there are not many). The medications used have helped see that happen.
The nursing staff if primarily one nurse, sometimes two. Very kind and caring. Sometimes overwhelmed.
Describe your experience with Fertility Center of Oregon.
The clinic as a whole is fast, to the point and friendly. You will very rarely sit in the waiting room for anything more than 5 minutes. There is a lab in house which is nice and convenient.
The cost of IVF with ICSI is $9500. I believe they, with consent will always do ICSI if deemed necessary. Medications in US are around $5500 for a higher dose protocol.
For us, we do not have a high enough number of eggs for eSET. We transfer what we get for when you have low AMH, a pregnancy of multiples isn't feared. There is a lower possibility of that happening, if that makes sense.
2013 - 2016
He [Dr. Douglas Austin] has great bedside manner and is super kind. I don't feel like he would listen to my ideas and had to really push for labs that I wanted. I think he would be great for someone with basic infertility issues, but not unexplained. He wouldn't think outside the box and look at other avenues. When transfers didn't work he just said it was bad luck.... it took forever for them to get back to me when I had questions regarding my expected miscarriage, and they told me to just follow up with my OB regarding it. It felt like they didn't care and they never even called back to check up on me to see how I was doing after I spent well over $25,000.
How was your experience with Douglas Austin at Fertility Center of Oregon?
He has great bedside manner and is super kind. I don't feel like he would listen to my ideas and had to really push for labs that I wanted. I think he would be great for someone with basic infertility issues, but not unexplained. He wouldn't think outside the box and look at other avenues. When transfers didn't work he just said it was bad luck.
He is a very nice person but don't expect to get a lot of answers.
The staff was great and I saw the Dr. most every time. I only had to deal with the NP a few times. I felt like a number in the end when they had all my money and no more eggs to transfer. it took forever for them to get back to me when I had questions regarding my expected miscarriage, and they told me to just follow up with my OB regarding it. It felt like they didn't care and they never even called back to check up on me to see how I was doing after I spent well over $25,000.
3 IUI with femera, I hated Clomid and had reactions with it so we used this drug and it was way better. We had all BFN with all 3 cycles. IVF, I believe I was on low dose mess and responded well. We retrieved 22 eggs and had 11 make it to day 5. He said he did half ICSI and the other half go natural but ours didn't take well with ICSI. We transferred 2 fresh with a BFN. FET with 2 5 day embryos with BFN with low dose medication FET with 3 5 day embryos with BFP with no change in protocol MC at 6 weeks FET with 4 5 day embryos with BFP with no change in protocol MC first twin at about 4 weeks and second at 6-7 weeks. Put unwilling to try new things besides put more embryos in. Felt like we had no hope.
I only had one nurse who was nice and very organized. It took a while for her to get back but they have a busy office so I get that. Multiple times she had a medical assistant call back to answer questions.
Describe your experience with Fertility Center of Oregon.
They have super friendly staff at the desk and in billing. They rebuilt the office so it feels privat and is super professional. I will say the staff is professional and makes you feel welcome. They are honest with charges and what they say is what you will pay, no hidden fees or charges. The only thing a didn't like was the NP who works there. She was horrible and completely lacks compassion, my husband feared going back every time because he didn't want to have to deal with her.
About $13,000 for IVF and $3500 for each FET. Then my beds ranged from. About $700-1,000.
He said he doesn't like to do more than 2 but with me he wanted to put 4 in with no hesitation. I wanted to transfer 3 then transfer 1 but he thought I should do all 4. With my first transfer though he was willing to put in 1. But after that he wanted 2 or more because I was getting BFN and he didnt know why.
2009 - 2010
3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
I received no guidance [from Dr. Austin] on what steps or tests we should take to see what may be causing my "unexplained infertility". An AMH test would have shown my diminished reserve. After we did the failed IUIs, no follow up was done with us as to suggesting IVF or anything further...I feel that crucial time was wasted going through multiple IUIs without any suggestion of what should be done next...
2009 - 2010
3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Douglas Austin at Fertility Center of Oregon?
I feel that crucial time was wasted going through multiple IUIs without any suggestion of what should be done next. When there was uncertainty of what to do next, he performed a laparoscopy, which discovered a growth which ended up being benign and of no concern. Before the procedure and prior to a biopsy being done in a separate colonoscopy, he only emphasized the worst case scenarios. After that, no other outreach was done by their office. No further tests were suggested. I called their office, asking if I should do a testosterone or any other testing, which they let me do, but they never suggested an AMH test, which would have shown my diminished ovarian reserve and pointed in the direction of doing IVF, assuming it wasn't too low.
Visit someone in Portland.
I received no guidance on what steps or tests we should take to see what may be causing my "unexplained infertility". An AMH test would have shown my diminished reserve. After we did the failed IUIs, no follow up was done with us as to suggesting IVF or anything further.
He initially suggested doing IUIs to see if that would do the trick.
They returned my calls and were responsive to forwarding along my messages to Dr Austin.
Describe your experience with Fertility Center of Oregon.
The do individual schedules for IUIs, but do group schedules for IVF. I have a friend who had started seeing him recently (2016) and they were told they had to wait several months before they could do a cycle as they had to do it in the next group. As well, he only gave them the option IVF using donor eggs but they found another clinic that said they could try using her own eggs with potential success.
IUI pricing was fairly in line with other facilities.
Eugene
Dr. Austin was very professional and personable. I felt that he did everything to help us get the baby we so desire to have. He has a lot of cases but he manages well to go thoroughly through cycles.... I was shocked with how hands on Dr. Austin was. He worked with our work schedule and drive in. I saw him for every Sunday appt I had. He was always straight to the point but knew how to keep me from stressing.
European, Other
How was your experience with Douglas Austin at Fertility Center of Oregon?
Try to embrace and enjoy the process. He is such a lovely down to earth man that cares for each patient individually.
I did two frozen embryo transfers with Dr. Austin. Each cycle we used birth control, lupron, estradoil, and progesterone injections for implanting 2 embryos. After the first cycle failed after one positive pregnancy test we tried endometrial scratching for the 2nd cycle.
The nurses were up to date on what was going on. I didn't have to repeat myself numberous times. I never had to be stuck more than once for blood draws. They always have the feeling they were also personally invested in our success.
Describe your experience with Fertility Center of Oregon.
They weren't pushy with the finances which was a relief after paying so much for meds. The clinic always felt welcoming. They made me feel as if they would work out whatever it took to help us get to do a cycle.
1350 per FET another 400 each time for meds
2 was always recommended. However we had discussed transferring 3.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
We went to him [Dr. Austin] for a diagnosis of recurrent pregnancy loss. He provided a thorough workup and gave me a copy of the note when he explained our options in detail so I could re-read it once we got home. Procedures were gentle and explained as they were performed. He performed much of the care himself - not ultrasound techs or other staff. He never made us feel rushed in asking a ton of questions and explaining his answers coherently.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
How was your experience with Douglas Austin at Fertility Center of Oregon?
We went to him for a diagnosis of recurrent pregnancy loss. He provided a thorough workup and gave me a copy of the note when he explained our options in detail so I could re-read it once we got home. Procedures were gentle and explained as they were performed. He performed much of the care himself - not ultrasound techs or other staff. He never made us feel rushed in asking a ton of questions and explaining his answers coherently.
He was caring and compassionate, and honest in his communication of our difficult situation. His nursing staff returned calls promptly or were easy to reach when I called. Even the front office staff made me feel welcomed and cared for.
We had a workup of recurrent pregnancy loss so there were labs, SA, HSG. Once We saw him in the early days of a couple pregnancies so we had weekly or every other week ultrasounds in the office that he performed and explained as he was doing them.
Easy to reach, compassionate, communicated well and gave prompt replies.
Describe your experience with Fertility Center of Oregon.
No baby/pregnancy magazines in the waiting room and a recent remodel completely separated it from the OB clinic next door making it more private. One weakness is that we never could get their fax to communicate to the fax machine at the perinatologist's office. Multiple attempts were made but it just didn't seem to work.
Fee up front to cover intial visit and after that I was billed for services. Some insurance paid for and others they didn't.
Eugene
Dr. Austin and his staff are all friendly and very professional. I was treated very well, and was always pleased with my care. I would still be receiving treatment from Dr. Austin if I hadn't recently moved to another state...I was treated very well, and Dr. Austin took a personal interest in me and my situation...Do your research, and don't be afraid to ask questions or get to doctor's opinion...
How was your experience with Douglas Austin at Fertility Center of Oregon?
I had 3 IUI's done. One with Clomid, and 2 with injectibles, multiple ultrasounds, and trigger shots. I did get pregnant on my second IUI, but had a very early miscarriage. I also went through several cycles of Clomid and femara, all of which were unsuccessful.
The nurses are kind and efficient.
Describe your experience with Fertility Center of Oregon.
The clinic is new and neat, and in an easy to find location. They are also open for a few hours on the weekends, which was a huge plus considering two of my three IUI's were performed on the weekend.
I paid $500 up front, and that covered a lot of my blood draws and apppintments. Then, once I used that up, I had to pay for my ultrasounds and blood draws. An IUI cost about $500 for the actual procedure, that included the sperm washing and the actual IUI. My insurance covered a small amount of ultrasounds. They cost around $150 per ultrasound, and my insurance covered about $50 of that is all.
2014 - 2018
IUI, 1 IVF
PCOS, Unexplained
Dr Austin is a sensitive, compassionate, and intelligent man and Dr. We laughed with him. We cried with him. We feel like he truly cares about and for us. He is no non sense when it comes to your care. We feel like he never was just putting us through rounds and rounds of treatments that wouldn't work... we appreciated that he didn't put us through unnecessary treatments just to make money off us to just see if they would work before going directly to ivf
2014 - 2018
IUI, 1 IVF
PCOS, Unexplained
Trust him.
Dr austin was amazing! He spoke candidly with us, yet tactful and sympathetic. We really feel like he cares for us not only as patients but as people.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Center of Oregon.
Nursing staff wasnt very friendly on the phone. This is the only time we felt like a number. Not very compassionate.
Describe your experience with Fertility Center of Oregon.
Beautiful clean clinic. Lab staff, ultrasound staff , receptionist and intake staff were all very nice and professional!! Only thing we really didn't/ don't like is the amount we have to pay to keep our embryos frozen for our next round.
We did 2 rounds of ivf. Both with two embies. We were blessed with two pregnancies, however only one live birth.
2013 - 2015
1 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
2013 - 2015
1 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Douglas Austin at Fertility Center of Oregon?
I felt great as a patient with Dr. Austin. He always took the time to explain things to me. While I don't think that my specific fertility issue was identified by Dr. Austin, I feel as though he did do everything in his practice to help me.
Get educated. Check out all other alternative issues that may be outside of his "normal" treatment realm
Everyone on staff knew me and my husband by name. Dr. Austin took time to speak with us and did not make us feel like we were bothering him
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Center of Oregon. (Assigned nurse: Sharon)
Everyone was so great. Very willing to speak with me and answer any questions