9.7

590 Country Club Parkway
Eugene, OR 97401
541.868.9755

2013 - 2016, Unsuccessful
He [Dr. Douglas Austin] has great bedside manner and is super kind. I don't feel like he would listen to my ideas and had to really push for labs that I wanted. I think he would be great for someone with basic infertility issues, but not unexplained. He wouldn't think outside the box and look at other avenues. When transfers didn't work he just said it was bad luck.... it took forever for them to get back to me when I had questions regarding my expected miscarriage, and they told me to just follow up with my OB regarding it. It felt like they didn't care and they never even called back to check up on me to see how I was doing after I spent well over $25,000.
They have super friendly staff at the desk and in billing. [at Fertility Center of Oregon]. They rebuilt the office so it feels privat and is super professional. I will say the staff is professional and makes you feel welcome. They are honest with charges and what they say is what you will pay, no hidden fees or charges. The only thing a didn't like was the NP who works there. She was horrible and completely lacks compassion, my husband feared going back every time because he didn't want to have to deal with her.
How was your experience with Douglas Austin at Fertility Center of Oregon?
He has great bedside manner and is super kind. I don't feel like he would listen to my ideas and had to really push for labs that I wanted. I think he would be great for someone with basic infertility issues, but not unexplained. He wouldn't think outside the box and look at other avenues. When transfers didn't work he just said it was bad luck.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Douglas Austin at Fertility Center of Oregon?
He is a very nice person but don't expect to get a lot of answers.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Douglas Austin at Fertility Center of Oregon?
The staff was great and I saw the Dr. most every time. I only had to deal with the NP a few times. I felt like a number in the end when they had all my money and no more eggs to transfer. it took forever for them to get back to me when I had questions regarding my expected miscarriage, and they told me to just follow up with my OB regarding it. It felt like they didn't care and they never even called back to check up on me to see how I was doing after I spent well over $25,000.
Describe the protocols Douglas Austin used in your cycles at Fertility Center of Oregon and their degree of success.
3 IUI with femera, I hated Clomid and had reactions with it so we used this drug and it was way better. We had all BFN with all 3 cycles. IVF, I believe I was on low dose mess and responded well. We retrieved 22 eggs and had 11 make it to day 5. He said he did half ICSI and the other half go natural but ours didn't take well with ICSI. We transferred 2 fresh with a BFN. FET with 2 5 day embryos with BFN with low dose medication FET with 3 5 day embryos with BFP with no change in protocol MC at 6 weeks FET with 4 5 day embryos with BFP with no change in protocol MC first twin at about 4 weeks and second at 6-7 weeks. Put unwilling to try new things besides put more embryos in. Felt like we had no hope.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Fertility Center of Oregon.
I only had one nurse who was nice and very organized. It took a while for her to get back but they have a busy office so I get that. Multiple times she had a medical assistant call back to answer questions.
Describe your experience with Fertility Center of Oregon.
They have super friendly staff at the desk and in billing. They rebuilt the office so it feels privat and is super professional. I will say the staff is professional and makes you feel welcome. They are honest with charges and what they say is what you will pay, no hidden fees or charges. The only thing a didn't like was the NP who works there. She was horrible and completely lacks compassion, my husband feared going back every time because he didn't want to have to deal with her.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Douglas Austin at Fertility Center of Oregon.
About $13,000 for IVF and $3500 for each FET. Then my beds ranged from. About $700-1,000.
Describe Douglas Austin's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Center of Oregon.
He said he doesn't like to do more than 2 but with me he wanted to put 4 in with no hesitation. I wanted to transfer 3 then transfer 1 but he thought I should do all 4. With my first transfer though he was willing to put in 1. But after that he wanted 2 or more because I was getting BFN and he didnt know why.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Center of Oregon?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Center of Oregon.
The NP never got back to me when I called multiple times regarding a potential tubal pregnancy.
2015, Unknown Success
Dr Austin met with us on a Saturday after our IVF failure even though he was on his way out of town. He wanted to make sure we have a chance to ask our questions and shed our tears. Kind throughout the process, took time to ask detailed questions about us as people in addition to medical subjects.... Encouraged us to move on to a different lab when it became clear that our case needed it.
[Fertility Center of OregonStrengths: local, small, friendly. Staff knows you by name, and are very responsive to questions and emotional support. Official support group is hosted within the facility monthly. Weaknesses: Small, lab quality is acceptable but not superb.... I got many after hours phone calls, and a really long and detailed conversation that went over every lab result when our IVF failed. It was a lot of effort and time for them, but they were very compassionate.
How was your experience with Douglas Austin at Fertility Center of Oregon?
Strengths: kind, compassion, detailed explanation giver. Values resource (money) needs for patients and encourages finding medications at lowest prices. Always met with us in person, never felt rushed. Encouraged us to move on to a different lab when it became clear that our case needed it. Weaknesses: Facility has limitations of being in a smaller practice. Didn't like to be part of a cohort that all cycled at the same time in order to be on their schedule.
Definitely a good place to start if the location is optimal.
We did antagonist: one month BCP, then Follistim and Menopur. Ganirelix at the end. It seemed like the classic place to start, I guess. Added an extra day of stims because the growth and estradiol plateaued more than they hoped for.
Describe your experience with Fertility Center of Oregon.
This was my cheapest cycle- I think it was about $10,000 with all meds and monitoring. Medications were ordered from an overseas pharmacy to reduce costs.

2009 - 2010, Unsuccessful
Donor Eggs With Other Docs
I received no guidance [from Dr. Austin] on what steps or tests we should take to see what may be causing my "unexplained infertility". An AMH test would have shown my diminished reserve. After we did the failed IUIs, no follow up was done with us as to suggesting IVF or anything further...I feel that crucial time was wasted going through multiple IUIs without any suggestion of what should be done next...
The do individual schedules for IUIs, but do group schedules for IVF [at Fert Ctr of OR]. I have a friend who had started seeing him recently (2016) and they were told they had to wait several months before they could do a cycle as they had to do it in the next group. As well, he only gave them the option IVF using donor eggs but they found another clinic that said they could try using her own eggs with potential success...
How was your experience with Douglas Austin at Fertility Center of Oregon?
I feel that crucial time was wasted going through multiple IUIs without any suggestion of what should be done next. When there was uncertainty of what to do next, he performed a laparoscopy, which discovered a growth which ended up being benign and of no concern. Before the procedure and prior to a biopsy being done in a separate colonoscopy, he only emphasized the worst case scenarios. After that, no other outreach was done by their office. No further tests were suggested. I called their office, asking if I should do a testosterone or any other testing, which they let me do, but they never suggested an AMH test, which would have shown my diminished ovarian reserve and pointed in the direction of doing IVF, assuming it wasn't too low.
Visit someone in Portland.
I received no guidance on what steps or tests we should take to see what may be causing my "unexplained infertility". An AMH test would have shown my diminished reserve. After we did the failed IUIs, no follow up was done with us as to suggesting IVF or anything further.
He initially suggested doing IUIs to see if that would do the trick.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Fertility Center of Oregon.
They returned my calls and were responsive to forwarding along my messages to Dr Austin.
Describe your experience with Fertility Center of Oregon.
The do individual schedules for IUIs, but do group schedules for IVF. I have a friend who had started seeing him recently (2016) and they were told they had to wait several months before they could do a cycle as they had to do it in the next group. As well, he only gave them the option IVF using donor eggs but they found another clinic that said they could try using her own eggs with potential success.
IUI pricing was fairly in line with other facilities.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Center of Oregon?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Center of Oregon.
I truly feel that critical time was wasted as no testing was recommended or done to check my ovarian reserve. It was just another case of unexplained infertility - very frustrating. I was 34 when I first saw him and had been trying to conceive for over year. I was fairly put off after spending a year doing unsuccessful IUIs and chasing down other possibilities through this clinic. A laparoscopy was done to see if I had endometriosis (i didn't), but no AMH test. The only tests done were those I asked if I could do. Being the first doctor I had seen, I didn't know of all the tests available, and at the time, the AMH test had only been available for a few years. By the time I visited a new clinic in Portland, my AMH level was .17 (at 36 years old) and so neither they or another reputable clinic in San Francisco recommended doing IVF with my own eggs - only donor eggs were an option. I feel if my AMH levels were at least above .5 or .7 the year or two before when I saw Dr Austin, it would have been obvious to go straight to IVF and at least have the possibility of using my own eggs. The what ifs are a hard part of the reality of infertility, but you certainly don't want to have regrets if there were other options available.