Good

Cornell
UMDNJ

Drew Tortoriello works at

425 Fifth Ave

[Dr. Tortoriello] tested us for things that other clinics either overlooked and blew off or didn't bother to look into at all. He is a very knowledgeable and compassionate doctor. He always takes the time to answer all of your questions thoroughly...It is amazing that I was able to contact him directly instead of communicating via his nurses...He is open to ideas from his patients, but will also tell you when he disagrees and the reasons why. His bedside manner is warm, friendly, and compassionate. He takes the time to communicate both good and difficult information directly to his patients.
The doctor and nurses [at Sher Fertility Solutions New York] were very supportive throughout my treatment and beyond...They worked around the clock and were available all the time regardless of night, or weekends. They responded immediately to my emails and calls...Cecilia was my nurse and she was available both in-person and thru email and phone. I felt supported and that she cared about me/the success of my treatment
How was your experience with Drew Tortoriello at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
How to describe Dr. Tortoriello (Dr. T.)?? Honestly speaking I don't have words the only thing I can say that he is the best doctor in the whole wide world. I am his international patient. I saw doctors both in the USA and out of the USA as well but only got a positive result thru him. My first cycle didn't work however I just delivered my twin boys thru my second cycle done by Dr. T. The only thing I can say that if you have been to other clinics and had failed IVF cycles but you are not done fighting infertility yet, you absolutely need to see Dr. T. He tested us for things that other clinics either overlooked and blew off or didn't bother to look into at all. He is a very knowledgeable and compassionate doctor. He always takes the time to answer all of your questions thoroughly. Dr. T understands that the infertility journey is difficult, scary, and ambiguous. He is open to ideas from his patients, but will also tell you when he disagrees and the reasons why. His bedside manner is warm, friendly, and compassionate. He takes the time to communicate both good and difficult information directly to his patients. Above all, you feel like you are part of a true doctor-patient relationship with Dr. T and you feel like you can trust his recommendations. Even when some cycles don't work out as hoped, you never feel like no one is watching you or a true attempt wasn't made.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Drew Tortoriello at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
Just listen to his recommendation and trust him.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Drew Tortoriello at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
He always takes the time to explain and give me satisfactory explanations for all of my questions and concerns. It is amazing that I was able to contact him directly instead of communicating via his nurses.
Describe the protocols Drew Tortoriello used in your cycles at Sher Fertility Solutions New York and their degree of success.
I don't remember all of the exact treatment and strategies that he used , however, the only thing I clearly remembered that he prescribed HGH during my egg retrieval cycle as well as in my transfer cycle. My second cycle was a success and resulted in a positive pregnancy with 2 healthy babies.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility Solutions New York. (Assigned nurse: Cecilia)
Cecilia was my nurse and she was available both in-person and thru email and phone. I felt supported and that she cared about me/the success of my treatment.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
The doctor and nurses were very supportive throughout my treatment and beyond. I don't remember the names of all of the nurses who took my blood and assisted Dr. T during my treatment. All of them were amazing. They worked around the clock and were available all the time regardless of night, or weekends. They responded immediately to my emails and calls.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Drew Tortoriello at Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
I paid $14,500 for 1 egg retrieval and a frozen embryo transfer cycle.
Sher Fertility Solutions New York

He [Dr. Tortoriello] is very professional, he answers all your questions and also is always available via email. He is kind and compassionate but also direct. Sometimes when you get bad news, you would prefer not to be direct but he isn’t dismissive of your hopes and dreams. We had two miscarriages with both of our transfers so the embryos likely had chromosomal abnormalities and he indicated this early on when signs showed it via sonogram but also let me have hope.
It [Sher Fertility] is one of the best clinics I have been to for any healthcare. They really don’t have any weaknesses. They worked around my cycle, they are available at night, on weekends, they respond immediately to emails and calls.... Everyone is great, they explain in detail what to expect, they comfort you when you are upset, they are loving and compassionate.... 14,000k for IVF cycle, $3800 for frozen embryo transfer
He is very professional, he answers all your questions and also is always available via email. He is kind and compassionate but also direct. Sometimes when you get bad news, you would prefer not to be direct but he isn’t dismissive of your hopes and dreams. We had two miscarriages with both of our transfers so the embryos likely had chromosomal abnormalities and he indicated this early on when signs showed it via sonogram but also let me have hope.
Go with Dr. T and Sher, they are kind and know what they are doing. Ask questions when you need to and know that Dr. T is usually right when he says things don’t look right.
Everyone at Sher is so warm, they genuinely want to help you. Dr T. Is sensitive but also direct and tells you what to expect and doesn’t give you false hope. He also tries things when other Dr.s give up on you.
He put me on an estrogen patch for 5 days to increase my follicle count and it worked. He followed my follicles very carefully and didn’t have me trigger too early, he adjusted my medicines daily as needed and as a result he got 4 eggs and all of them made it to 5 day blastocyst.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility Solutions New York. (Assigned nurse: Frances )
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
It is one of the best clinics I have been to for any healthcare. They really don’t have any weaknesses. They worked around my cycle, they are available at night, on weekends, they respond immediately to emails and calls. I love Sher!
14,000k for IVF cycle, $3800 for frozen embryo transfer
Describe Drew Tortoriello's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
He let me make the decisions.
Sher Fertility Solutions New York

He [Dr. Tortoriello] was always nice and kind and polite. I always met with him every visit except for one weekend monitoring appointment where I met with his partner. He always answered my emails and all my questions...He was always right about my treatment...we moved to injectables and timed intercourse which failed the first time but worked more in harmony with my body and again he was correct 100% on which drug protocol to use despite me asking about trying other drugs and him assuring me that his choice would be best for me. My 2nd round of injectables we tried IUI and I got pregnant.
I never had to long wait or really any wait at all at [Sher Fertility of New York]...it was well run...very flexible in my appointment scheduling which was such a relief because there was no way I could have attended other well known NYC clinics with my schedule...[The nurse is] Always lovely and kind and helpful and answered emails promptly even after business hours at times...they are very busy and sometimes some details are forgotten but minor things and all in all lot better than most clinics. Clinic Nps
I have a very tricky schedule living in NYC with two toddlers (one with special needs) and no family to help out so Dr. T was very flexible in my appointment scheduling which was such a relief because there was no way I could have attended other well known NYC clinics with my schedule. He always answered my questions via email or in person and I asked huge amount of questions. He was straight forward and honest but kind and compassionate at the same time. He was always right about my treatment.
Just ask questions and ask the office staff questions as well to put your mind at rest and email him your concerns. I never had to long wait or really any wait at all at his office...it was well run.
He was always nice and kind and polite. I always met with him every visit except for one weekend monitoring appointment where I met with his partner. He always answered my emails and all my questions.
Started with clomid even though I pushed that because I was new to fertility treatments and nervous about injectables, IVF etc and wanted to try something as simple as possible. He was right when he said it probably wasn’t the best course of action to take in my situation and it caused more issues for me. Then we moved to injectables and timed intercourse which failed the first time but worked more in harmony with my body and again he was correct 100% on which drug protocol to use despite me asking about trying other drugs and him assuring me that his choice would be best for me. My 2nd round of injectables we tried IUI and I got pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility Solutions New York. (Assigned nurse: Frances and Ivana )
Frances is Dr. T’s right hand woman. Always lovely and kind and helpful and answered emails promptly even after business hours at times.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
Strengths - small, kind, helpful, compassionate staff. Frances and Ivana went above and beyond. Also, I forget her name but the nurse who took my bloods and assisted Dr. T during examinations etc. was wonderful as well.
I only had co-pay each visit and co insurance until I met my deductible.
What specific things went wrong at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
As with any clinic you just have to follow up sometimes in case they are very busy and sometimes some details are forgotten but minor things and all in all lot better than most clinics.

2016 - 2019, Successful
He [Dr. Tortoriello] always changed my plan according to my needs. If something didn’t work, he looked for a solution. In my case he found it and we are blessed today at my age 44 with my own eggs. This is truly a blessing and miracle and It couldn’t happen without him. He didn’t turn me away where others did so it speaks to his compassion. He is dedicated and very diligent. I always felt 100 trust in him and his approach. He leveled with us when we asked the difficult questions and never gave us false hope... but somehow still managed to give us hope. I always felt relaxed with him because he is so easy going and very calm. That helps during such difficult times. I will forever be grateful to him.
[The staff at Sher Fertility of New York are] very responsive via email and in person and I never felt like a number. I felt unique in my journey and it was there approach that made me feel this way. They are amazing... They [nurses] were very responsive even communicating via email. I always felt comfortable knowing they would provide instructions when it came to my calendar and medications dosages. A couple times I ran out of medicine over a weekend and they provided me with some until I was able to get mine so I didn’t miss a cycle.
I don’t have enough words to describe the great Doctor he is. He is smart and is very knowledgeable in the latest research. He always changed my plan according to my needs. If something didn’t work, he looked for a solution. In my case he found it and we are blessed today at my age 44 with my own eggs. This is truly a blessing and miracle and It couldn’t happen without him. He didn’t turn me away where others did so it speaks to his compassion. He is dedicated and very diligent. I always felt 100 trust in him and his approach. He leveled with us when we asked the difficult questions and never gave us false hope... but somehow still managed to give us hope. I always felt relaxed with him because he is so easy going and very calm. That helps during such difficult times. I will forever be grateful to him.
Don’t ever give up and Trust Dr. T. And his approach. I feel he is not about the money.... but truly cares. I believe that he really is in this to help in this difficult journey of infertility.
The office staff and Dr. T were always very responsive via email and in person and I never felt like a number. I felt unique in my journey and it was there approach that made me feel this way. They are amazing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility Solutions New York. (Assigned nurse: Cecilia Choe and Frances Faundez)
I mainly worked with Frances Faundez and Cecilia Choe. They were both very easy to work with. They were very responsive even communicating via email. I always felt comfortable knowing they would provide instructions when it came to my calendar and medications dosages. A couple times I ran out of medicine over a weekend and they provided me with some until I was able to get mine so I didn’t miss a cycle. Frances was so compassionate and sweet when I had a miscarriage. And she took the time to make me feel like a person and not just another patient.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
I think all the nurses should all be as compassionate and on the same page. I know it’s hard when dealing with so many patients but it really does help. When the staff are all professional and kind and take the time to know your name It separates the practice from any other infertility practice. This journey is hard as it is and when you deal with a practice that is professional and doesn’t treat you like a number or rush you or lose patience with you it makes it more tolerable. Their strength I feel is that they are all compassionate and willing to help... even when they seemed swamped. The one advice I would have is to make sure that their front desk staff (not the 6th floor) is professional. Sometimes on the other floor when I would go in for a procedure the girls were a little loud and not well spoken or professional. I felt they were not as approachable.
We asked Dr. T what he thought would be best for us and our situation. He would always give us his expert suggestions but ultimately try to let us decide how many we wanted transferred as long as it was safe. Based on my age we would transfer no more than two.
Sher Fertility Solutions New York

He [Dr. Tortoriello] wanted to make sure to explain things to me and would not provide an opinion as to the best course of action until he conducted preliminary tests/did a workup. Dr. T communicated with my husband and me throughout all of the treatments we did...I had to do three egg retrievals. Given my age, we PGS tested all embryos that survived to day 5. For the third retrieval, Dr. T decided to add in HGH...it was this cycle that led to the ONE embryo that tested viable and which we then transferred.
The doctors and nurses [at Sher Fertility of New York] are very communicative and supportive. I did feel as though there needed to be more communication between billing and the drs/nurses. We were initially billed for storage of embryos that did not PGS test as viable and which [Dr. Tortoriello] wouldn't transfer, which was a little frustrating...I felt very supported and that she [nurse] cared about me/the success of my treatments. She was genuinely very sad to let me know the results of the PGS testing for the first round (none of the embryos tested as viable).
Dr. Tortoriello was kind and communicative from the second I consulted with him. I had previously been to another clinic where I felt like a number and that the clinic had decided I needed to undergo IVF before even diagnosing me or conducting any tests. The experience with Dr. T was entirely opposite. He wanted to make sure to explain things to me and would not provide an opinion as to the best course of action until he conducted preliminary tests/did a workup. Dr. T communicated with my husband and me throughout all of the treatments we did.
Ask him any questions you have...he will answer them.
Dr. Tortoriello was always available by email and his office was as well (by email and by telephone). He was sensitive to what I was experiencing emotionally and was encouraging.
I first went through three IUIs for insurance coverage purposes. I used clomid in the first and third cycles. The third cycle led to a chemical pregnancy which slightly delayed moving forward with IVF. I had to do three egg retrievals. Given my age, we PGS tested all embryos that survived to day 5. For the third retrieval, Dr. T decided to add in HGH...it was this cycle that led to the ONE embryo that tested viable and which we then transferred.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility Solutions New York. (Assigned nurse: Cecilia Choe)
Cecilia was available. She even called me on her day off to let me know the results of a day 5 check of embryos. She spent time with me on the telephone when I had questions or doubts or needed assistance in thinking through what made the most sense. I felt very supported and that she cared about me/the success of my treatments. She was genuinely very sad to let me know the results of the PGS testing for the first round (none of the embryos tested as viable).
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
The doctors and nurses are very communicative and supportive. I did feel as though there needed to be more communication between billing and the drs/nurses. We were initially billed for storage of embryos that did not PGS test as viable and which Dr. T wouldn't transfer, which was a little frustrating.
Fortunately, my insurance covered a large portion of treatments. IUIs were covered; i had $50 co-pays every time I went for an appointment. IVF was 75% covered so I had a co-pay prior to treatment. Same for the transfer. I had to pay for medications.
I only had one viable embryo to transfer.
Sher Fertility Solutions New York

Dr T [Tortoriello] really took the time to learn my entire background going back to teenage eating disorders to my current high blood pressure to recommend the next steps. He was an amazing listener (my husband and I are both talkers!) and asked questions that we were able to fill in. The day of our consultation we immediately got the ball rolling with an ultrasound and blood tests.
Incredibly clean and calming. There are two floors [at Sher Fertility of NY] and I'm occasionally confused about which floor to report to. As I had said, the receptionists are wonderful! They start off my appointments on the right foot.... I have received extremely prompt contact from my assigned nurse with very detailed instructions/suggestions over email. When we received our results for blood tests/semen analysis I received a call from both my nurse and a follow up with Dr. T to confirm my understanding.
Dr T really took the time to learn my entire background going back to teenage eating disorders to my current high blood pressure to recommend the next steps. He was an amazing listener (my husband and I are both talkers!) and asked questions that we were able to fill in. The day of our consultation we immediately got the ball rolling with an ultrasound and blood tests.
Ask as many questions as you need - he will take the time to answer them.
I have received extremely prompt contact from my assigned nurse with very detailed instructions/suggestions over email. When we received our results for blood tests/semen analysis I received a call from both my nurse and a follow up with Dr. T to confirm my understanding. My nurse (Cecelia) was thorough, but Dr. T was very comforting and understanding in the plan that we were hoping to move forward with. He understood my concerns and helped me set in place our path.
We are still in testing consultation mode after returning from a two week vacation. Our next steps will be IUI if needed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility Solutions New York. (Assigned nurse: Cecelia)
I have appreciated how through Cecelia has been, but on the phone she can speak a little too quickly for me to comprehend. I have made her slow down/repeat multiple times. She has been very kind to repeat. All nurses that have taken blood have been AMAZING! I usually have very bad veins and I have come out unscathed an mostly without any busing. Even the receptionists are very friendly and cheerful. I really appreciate for my 9 am appointments.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
Incredibly clean and calming. There are two floors and I'm occasionally confused about which floor to report to. As I had said, the receptionists are wonderful! They start off my appointments on the right foot.
We have coverage through my husband's employer.

2016 - 2019, Successful
I felt that Dr. T[ortoriello] knew who I was as a patient - he was prepared to discuss my case every time and was very accessible...put me at ease during every appointment. He has an extremely calm bedside manner and explained what we were trying to accomplish at the beginning of every appointment. When we had an unsuccessful frozen embryo transfer, I felt that he truly took the results personally and had a different path to my care for the following attempt. I trust his professional judgment...was conservative in administering hormones (in a good way) so I wasn't overstimulated. I had heard horror stories from other clinics and felt fortunate to definitely avoid that experience.
Nursing and care coordination [at Sher Fertility of New York] was not very memorable. I didn't need hand holding so I don't think I relied on them for much other than coordinating beta tests...During my first transfer I was told I had a negative pregnancy test, which joyfully turned out to be incorrect. It was stressful to get re-tested at the time and was definitely shocking but a happy accident...doesn't employ the friendliest individuals on the phone. I know the staff may feel overrun but you are in the business of helping desperate families, a little compassionate would go a long way. I think there is some room for improvement when delivering bad news.
Dr. T put me at ease during every appointment. He has an extremely calm bedside manner and explained what we were trying to accomplish at the beginning of every appointment. When we had an unsuccessful frozen embryo transfer, I felt that he truly took the results personally and had a different path to my care for the following attempt. I trust his professional judgment.
I would advise anyone to come in equip with questions you have in mind. He is extremely knowledgeable but cannot read your mind and expectations.
I felt that Dr. T knew who I was as a patient - he was prepared to discuss my case every time and was very accessible.
I don't remember all of the exact treatment strategies used, however, I do think Dr. T was conservative in administering hormones (in a good way) so I wasn't overstimulated. I had heard horror stories from other clinics and felt fortunate to definitely avoid that experience.
Nursing and care coordination was not very memorable. I didn't need hand holding so I don't think I relied on them for much other than coordinating beta tests.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
The clinic doesn't employ the friendliest individuals on the phone. I know the staff may feel overrun but you are in the business of helping desperate families, a little compassionate would go a long way. I think there is some room for improvement when delivering bad news.
We had care under the Progeny insurance network.
Dr. T was very firm to transfer a single embryo each time given my younger age.
Sher Fertility Solutions New York

My follicles grew slowly so I had a long stimming cycle and adjustments were made throughout [my cycle with Dr. Drew Tortoriello]...a very calm and reassuring physician...Dr. T really explained everything and answered all my questions. You can tell he cares deeply about patients, and I never felt like a number. I could email him and he would reply very quickly...He doesn't make promises, but he will take so much of the anxiety out of the process. If you need someone who is reassuring, honest, and thoughtful, Dr. T your best bet.
I absolutely loved working with Lindsay [nurse at Sher Fertility]. She was so incredibly helpful and responsive. Having that kind of support made me feel like I had a team going through the process with me, rather than just me and my husband... I had a couple of great conversations with the Financial Coordinator who practically gave me a line item budget of what everything would cost, what insurance covered, etc. It was so very helpful to go into the process with a clear picture of what we would need to pay upfront.
I met with a RE at another clinic before working with Dr. Tortoriello and the experience was like night and day. While the other physician had zero beside manner and barely let me speak, Dr. T really explained everything and answered all my questions. You can tell he cares deeply about patients, and I never felt like a number. I could email him and he would reply very quickly. If I pursue more IVF, it would definitely be under his care.
Dr. Tortoriello is a very calm and reassuring physician. He presented information without editorializing or imposing any judgement.
I was on Gonal-F, Menopur, and Cetrotide. My follicles grew slowly so I had a long stimming cycle and adjustments were made throughout. Gonal-F started at 300 but increased to 350. Menopur started at 75 and increased to 150.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility Solutions New York. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay Cluff)
I absolutely loved working with Lindsay. She was so incredibly helpful and responsive. Having that kind of support made me feel like I had a team going through the process with me, rather than just me and my husband.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
Sher has a pretty good system so for the most part you only deal with your primary physician. I had to come in on the weekend once for an ultrasound and met a different doctor on call but in terms of the care I received, it was the same.
I was able to use my insurance to cover my care, although we paid for medications out-of-pocket. I had a couple of great conversations with the Financial Coordinator who practically gave me a line item budget of what everything would cost, what insurance covered, etc. It was so very helpful to go into the process with a clear picture of what we would need to pay upfront.
Sher Fertility Solutions New York

My wife had a serious complication that resulted from ovarian over-stimulation. She wound up in the hospital. Dr. Tortoriello actively participated in her treatment and remotely was able to correctly diagnose my wife's condition. His correct diagnosis allowed us to avoid a very dangerous surgery proposed by the hospital staff. ... Dr. Tortoriello treated my wife and I as if we were the only patients that mattered.
The clinic [Sher Fertility of New York] offers a variety of fertility doctors. It is centrally located. It is not the cheapest. But, its quality to cost ratio is very good. A little more nursing help (in the form of a dedicated nurse assigned to the case) would eliminate the majority of confusion that occasionally crept in ... Frequently, the persons responding to a phone call were confused as to who should be consulted on a particular question. Appointment times were sometimes shuffled.
My wife had a serious complication that resulted from ovarian over-stimulation. She wound up in the hospital. Dr. Tortoriello actively participated in her treatment and remotely was able to correctly diagnose my wife's condition. His correct diagnosis allowed us to avoid a very dangerous surgery proposed by the hospital staff. For that, we are eternally grateful
Dr. Tortoriello is a very tactful person. Try to tamper your aggression. Trust this doctor to do the best for you. Ulterior motives exit when Dr. T enters
A number is faceless, a human (especially, a patient) requires compassion, attention to details, understanding, and I dare say empathy. Dr. Tortoriello treated my wife and I as if we were the only patients that mattered.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
Sometimes, there was confusion as to the appointment dates, test results, etc. We attribute this to a lack of primary nursing help assignment. No malice.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
The clinic offers a variety of fertility doctors. It is centrally located. It is not the cheapest. But, its quality to cost ratio is very good. A little more nursing help (in the form of a dedicated nurse assigned to the case) would eliminate the majority of confusion that occasionally crept in
The cost of the cycle (hormonal pre-retrieval therapy, egg retrieval, ICSI, pre-implantation hormonal therapy, PGS/PGD, fertilization, implantation) ran close to $20,000
Unfortunately, we did not have the luxury of having the availability of multiple embryos. Therefore, this question is moot
Sher Fertility Solutions New York

After 2 successful IVF cycles at another boutique clinic...that resulted in 2 miscarriages at ~8 weeks (devastating), we switched to Dr. T[ortoriello]. During my initial consult with Dr. T he recommended a different protocol, adding several new medications. On my 1st cycle with Dr. T, I became pregnant and successfully carried to term and delivered a beautiful baby boy into the world. 2 years later, we went back to Dr. T., the man worked his magic again, and voila, we now have baby boy #2. I intend to visit Dr. T again soon as my husband is eager for baby boy #3...ha!
It was a combination of Dr. Tortoriello's bedside manner and the fact that Sher Institute's process is personable and didn't have the feel of an assembly line...After 2 miscarriages at ~8 weeks while at another clinic, Dr. T added Lovenox and intralipids to my cycle medications. My previous clinic did not prescribe these. I was 27 during my 1st cycle, my husband was 45, and our issue becoming pregnant was likely male-factor though it also seemed that I had an issue maintaining pregnancy beyond 8 weeks.
It is my great honor and pleasure to write this recommendation for Dr. Tortoriello. He is a miracle worker. After 2 successful IVF cycles at another boutique clinic (on East 69th St. in Manhattan) that resulted in 2 miscarriages at ~8 weeks (devastating), we switched to Dr. T. During my initial consult with Dr. T he recommended a different protocol, adding several new medications. On my 1st cycle with Dr. T, I became pregnant and successfully carried to term and delivered a beautiful baby boy into the world. 2 years later, we went back to Dr. T., the man worked his magic again, and voila, we now have baby boy #2. I intend to visit Dr. T again soon as my husband is eager for baby boy #3...ha!
Be proactive about your case. This is true for any fertility doctor you visit.
The nurses were friendly, organized and communicative.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
Sher Fertility's strength is that it is a boutique clinic that can provide personalized care. You never feel like a number. The staff is professional, organized and efficient. They are open on weekends, and I never had any issues with wait times.
I was covered by insurance up to $25,000.
After I had my first son Dr. T recommended eSET for subsequent transfers due to my age and success getting pregnant with previous transfers.
Investment Banker
Email is [Dr. Drew Tortoriello's] best way of communication...My hormones were high leading up to my egg retrieval so he changed my trigger shot from hcg to Lupron...was very kind every time I went to see him. Very soft spoken and made me feel very comfortable...During my egg retrieval he was calm and patient and caring and checked up on me afterwards to make sure I didn’t have complications. I plan on using his services when I am ready to implant.
I never had to wait more than 5 minutes when I came in for an appt [at Sher Fertility of New York]. After my appt they were very quick and good in explaining my next steps. I would have to say timeliness was their biggest strength. For weakness I would say I wish they had someone like a social worker or therapist on hand or that the recommend. Going thru this process can be very hard on your mind and being able to talk to someone about what your feeling would have been great
Dr T was fantastic from my consultation wiith him to having 17 embryos frozen! Having infertility issues is devestating but finding a doctor like him and now being able to plan a family is amazing. I am grateful for meeting him. Every appt I had with him was comfortable and fast. I would sometimes go on my lunch break and didn’t have to take much time off of work. During my egg retrieval he was calm and patient and caring and checked up on me afterwards to make sure I didn’t have complications. I plan on using his services when I am ready to implant.
Email is his best way of communication and it was mine too because of work. That was perfect. Every email I sent was replied to within minutes by either the doctor or the nurse
Dr T was very kind every time I went to see him. Very soft spoken and made me feel very comfortable
I was on menapur, gonal f, and ganirelix. My hormones were high leading up to my egg retrieval so he changed my trigger shot from hcg to Lupron. Afterwards I took a prescription to lower hormones along with ganirelex
I hate doing blood work because I have small veins but needed to do it every appt. but they were gentle and did a great job
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
I never had to wait more than 5 minutes when I came in for an appt. After my appt they were very quick and good in explaining my next steps. I would have to say timeliness was their biggest strength. For weakness I would say I wish they had someone like a social worker or therapist on hand or that the recommend. Going thru this process can be very hard on your mind and being able to talk to someone about what your feeling would have been great
I had Cigna so they covered most after I met my deductible. The prescription medicine was an expense I didn’t budget. Cigna covered it but I had to pay a copay and that was 1k
Investment Banker
I saw Dr. Tortoriello for every visit. He did each and every ultrasound and at the end of each scan he told me exactly where he thought i was in the process in relation to where he thought I ought to be. He did both my egg harvest and embryo implantation. He responded to all my many emails, even during his Easter weekend. ... He is my second IVF doctor and was a breath of fresh air. I genuinely felt he was my partner in this process
The 6th floor is beautiful to look at and very well run [Sher Fertility of New York]. I waited never more than 10 minutes. ... They need to open a bit earlier though as I had to rush to work after each visit. ... She [nurse] communicated with me practically daily and I actually feel bad at the number of times I had her call me! she was patient and soft-spoken and read and responded to most emails within 15 minutes.
He is my second IVF doctor and was a breath of fresh air. I genuinely felt he was my partner in this process...which was a big deal for me as my husband travels a lot and it's easy to get overwhelmed if you are doing a lot of this immense process alone. His warmth and intellect I found to be a perfect combination.
Consult with him early onward and then make your choice.
We did an estrogen priming protocol that incorporated omnitrope (growth hormone). We were planning to do a fresh transfer but I had fluid in my uterus so we had to freeze and then do a frozen transfer. I had fluid in my uterus with my previous doctors but they downplayed it and both prior transfers with them failed. So Dr. Tortoriello was the first to acknowledge this and correct for it.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility Solutions New York. (Assigned nurse: Cecily)
She communicated with me practically daily and I actually feel bad at the number of times I had her call me! she was patient and soft-spoken and read and responded to most emails within 15 minutes.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
The 6th floor is beautiful to look at and very well run. I waited never more than 10 minutes. (Plus they have my favorite cookies out). They need to open a bit earlier though as I had to rush to work after each visit.
No issues...was out of pocket.
Dr. Tortoriello told me that twins were a high risk pregnancy so we opted to transfer just one blast and it took!
Sher Fertility Solutions New York
I had 12 eggs retrieved and 6 embryos were frozen [with Dr. Tortoriello]. I sent all the embryos for biopsy and PGS testing. They all came back abnormal. After discussions with Dr. Tortoriello and going over my PGS results, I decided to go the donor egg route as my egg quality was not resulting in normal embryos to transfer...was always available to speak with me whether over the phone , in person or via email. He always took his time to explain all of my options and any answered any concerns or questions I had during my process. Loved his one-on-one communication.
I love the fact that Sher is a boutique type of clinic. Everyone is always available to speak with you whether you are there in person, over the phone or via email. The office is bright, clean and just overall inviting. The staff always greets you with a smile. I honestly can not think of any weaknesses I experienced during my treatment. They are open on the weekends for monitoring and are very good at making sure you are seen at your appointment time. I have never had an issue waiting to be seen. I always saw Dr. Tortoriello during my visits. Overall, I had a great experience.
I felt at ease with Dr. Tortoriello during my first consultation with him. He is very soft spoken as well as very thorough in explaining the pros and cons, as well as answering all of my questions. It was very easy to make my decision to pick him to be my fertility doctor. Any other consultations I had at other clinics made me feel like a number and not a human. He always made me feel like a human. During my treatment with Dr. Tortoriello, he was always very personable and accessible. There was never a time that I did not get a call back or an email reply to my questions or concerns during treatment.
I would tell a prospective patient to pick him as your fertility doctor. He takes his time with you and explains everything to you. You will not be disappointed.
Dr. Tortoriello was always available to speak with me whether over the phone , in person or via email. He always took his time to explain all of my options and any answered any concerns or questions I had during my process. Loved his one-on-one communication.
In 2016, I had an egg retrieval. The medication used was as follows: Lupron 10 units, Ganirelix 250 mcg, Gonal F 225 units, Menopur 75 units and Trigger Shot 10,000 IU. I had 13 eggs retrieved, 10 matured and fertilized and 7 embryos were frozen. I did not do any PGS testing during this first egg retrieval. In the same year, I did two frozen transfers. I transferred 2 embryos the first time and 1 embryo the second time and got negative results on both occasions. I then decided to unfreeze and biopsy (PGS testing) the 4 remaining embryos and they all came back abnormal (chromosomes). I then decided to discard those abnormal embryos and not transfer them. In 2017, I had another egg retrieval. The medication used was as follows: Lupron 10 units, Ganirelix 250 mcg, Gonal F 225 units, Menopur 75 units and Trigger Shot 10,000 IU. I had 12 eggs retrieved and 6 embryos were frozen. I sent all the embryos for biopsy and PGS testing. They all came back abnormal. After discussions with Dr. Tortoriello and going over my PGS results, I decided to go the donor egg route as my egg quality was not resulting in normal embryos to transfer. In my case, my egg donor was my sister. It resulted in us having 2 normal PGS tested embryos. I transferred one of those embryos and got a positive pregnancy and a live birth. He is currently 7 months old.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility Solutions New York. (Assigned nurse: Bushra Suddal)
My primary nurse was Bushra Suddal, but I also was helped by other nurses at Sher. Bushra and all of the staff were absolutely amazing. They were always responsive and answered all of my concerns immediately. I have reached out to Bushra during after hours as well as on weekends and she always replied (email or telephone) to any questions I had whether it was a medication question or just a general question I had at the time. The staff (no matter who I reached out to) was always quick to reply and handle any concern I had. Making my appointments was always easy and I never had an issue getting a date and time that worked with my work schedule.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
My care under Dr. Tortoriello was primarily covered under my husband's insurance plan. My insurance covered 2 egg retrievals (my own egg retrievals), 2 transfers and medication associated with both egg retrievals and both transfers using my own eggs/embryos. However, my egg donor process was paid out-of-pocket. My out-of-pocket cost for my egg donor process plus transferring the embryo was approximately $22K (including egg retrieval of egg donor, medication for her, anesthesia for her, my transfer and my medication).
Sher Fertility Solutions New York
Dr. T has a very deliberative manner and makes it very clear that he takes your care seriously. Although I saw the other two doctors in the clinic for some of the procedures because of scheduling, Dr. T did all of his own monitoring rather than having technicians do them...it meant that I saw him all the time and felt like I had many opportunities to ask any questions I may have had. He never sugarcoated what was going on, but neither was he pessimistic. I appreciated his balanced attitude.
After the first couple visits, everyone knew my name and the desk staff knew me on sight...SIRM never felt like a factory. There were never more than a couple women at a time in the waiting room, I never waited more than 10 minutes during a visit, and no one ever raised their voice at anyone The staff also seemed relaxed... SIRM is very good with technology. Both the Dr and the nurses are available by email, and they send very clear instructions laid out by day on the calendar. They are also very fast on their insurance submittals.
Dr. T has a very deliberative manner and makes it very clear that he takes your care seriously. Although I saw the other two doctors in the clinic for some of the procedures because of scheduling, Dr. T did all of his own monitoring rather than having technicians do them. I wasn't sure if I would care one way or the other, since in the first clinic I went to, the monitoring was done by techs and I loved those ladies, in the end I think I felt more comfortable with Dr. T doing the monitoring simply because it meant that I saw him all the time and felt like I had many opportunities to ask any questions I may have had. He never sugarcoated what was going on, but neither was he pessimistic. I appreciated his balanced attitude.
I recommend Dr. T, and from limited interaction with the other two doctors, all of the doctors at this clinic without reservation. They ALL come across as very serious and caring.
After the first couple visits, everyone knew my name and the desk staff knew me on sight. Unlike the first clinic I went to, there were never more than one or two other women waiting at any given time. The staff also seemed relaxed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility Solutions New York. (Assigned nurse: Bushra and Leslie)
The nurses are very organized about follow-ups, and are 100% available via email. I never had to wait more than an hour or so to get a response back to a question, and often it was within minutes.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
In contrast to the first clinic I went to, SIRM never felt like a factory. There were never more than a couple women at a time in the waiting room, I never waited more than 10 minutes during a visit, and no one ever raised their voice at anyone (again, in contrast to my first clinic). The doctors do their own monitoring visits, so the only thing support staff do is blood. It's all very very calm and professional. Secondly, SIRM is very good with technology. Both the Dr and the nurses are available by email, and they send very clear instructions laid out by day on the calendar. They are also very fast on their insurance submittals.
Monitoring (each visit) $525 Egg retrieval $2400 ICSI $2400 PICSI $1000 Embryo culture $1500 Extended culture $1500 PGD biopsy $500 per embryo Cryo $1000 Storage $80 FET - ? haven't seen the bill yet
I don't recall what Dr. T had to say about multiple transfer - I was never going to do more than single embryo transfer and it was never an issue since I only had one normal embryo post-PGS
What specific things went wrong at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
There was just one visit when I was supposed to have two sets of tests and I ended up having to go back the next day because they hadn't taken blood for the 2nd test. That said, they make the time work for me and clearly told me it was their mistake.
Sher Fertility Solutions New York
Dr. Tortoriello is very patient and is truly your doctor. He spent about 70 minutes with me at our first visit and he went over all the options and treatments. I asked him about PDG testing and he said it was an option but for me with such low egg number it might be best to just implant any healthy looking day 5 embryo. He really listened and he also did all my procedures...all of them. He also is great with emails...The strength is the doctors professionalism and compassion, and the same is true for his nurse
The strength is the doctors [Tortoriello] professionalism and compassion, and the same is true for his nurse. i saw many medical assistants [at Sher] and they were all friendly enough...I had scheduled appointments for each visit. As I left the office I would book the next one. Sometimes I would have a time that was later than I wanted, but they would always manage to work with my work schedule...Lindsay called and emailed me often. She is the sweetest nurse I ever met, and I have met many in my line of work.
Dr. T was my first fertility doctor. (i saw one before him like a consult but never followed through because it was like a meat factory. ) I can't imagine any improvement except for the fact that his monitoring starts later than I was expecting, so i had to make some plans at work to accomodate that. Totally worth it though because I got to see him each time.
Just listen to him, and don't be afraid to ask any questions because he is very happy to answer them all.
I did not do a lot of medicine as my egg count is low. The first time I used a pill with gonal-F 150. The second time I did no pills but increased gonal to 250 I think. Over 2 cycles i made 2 blasts. i transferred one frozen blast and that took!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility Solutions New York. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay)
Lindsay called and emailed me often. She is the sweetest nurse I ever met, and I have met many in my line of work. She would even call me after emails I would send late at night sometimes.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
The strength is the doctors professionalism and compassion, and the same is true for his nurse. i saw many medical assistants and they were all friendly enough. The lab must also be good too as I got pregnant.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
I had scheduled appointments for each visit. As I left the office I would book the next one. Sometimes I would have a time that was later than I wanted, but they would always manage to work with my work schedule. Once Dr. T waited to see me at 5:30pm !
Just co-pays. Everything was covered. My requirement for inseminations was waived because of our combined issues....too many to count it seemed.
I had 2 blasts and he recommended one at a time. Good advice as it took !
Sher Fertility Solutions New York

Dr. T [Tortoriello] meticulously managed my case/care. While my AMH and FSH numbers were low-normal, i responded as if my ovarian health was much worse off. During my first two attempts, I had shown signs of ovulating through my meds. Instead of Dr T pushing through, he advised we cancel, convert to an IUI and revise our strategy. He monitored me every single day to avoid this happening our 3rd time...he is kind, compassionate, knowledgeable and extremely accessible. He would speak to us like we were family, not strangers at his practice. Dr. T would respond to my emails on weekends, nights, during his PTO. He truly wants what's best for his patients.
Monitoring hours can be a little inconvenient, as they start at 8.45am. Besides that, I don't have many complaints about SHER as a whole. The nurses and front desk were kind and compassionate...I actually communicated frequently with Dr Tortoriello vs the nurse, which was a huge draw for me vs other larger clinics... He [Dr. Tortoriello] would speak to us like we were family, not strangers at his practice. Dr. T would respond to my emails on weekends, nights, during his PTO. He truly wants what's best for his patients.
Dr. T meticulously managed my case/care. While my AMH and FSH numbers were low-normal, i responded as if my ovarian health was much worse off. During my first two attempts, I had shown signs of ovulating through my meds. Instead of Dr T pushing through, he advised we cancel, convert to an IUI and revise our strategy. He monitored me every single day to avoid this happening our 3rd time. During our 3rd attempt, we did slow stimming and I had one embryo. This turned out to be my healthy and adorable daughter. We're planning to go back within the year to give her a sibling. If you have any doubts regarding your RE, go to dr. T!!! He is amazing.
Ask questions for your comfort, but trust him completely. He is a true expert, as well as ethical and fair.
Where do I start with Dr. T...he is kind, compassionate, knowledgeable and extremely accessible. He would speak to us like we were family, not strangers at his practice. Dr. T would respond to my emails on weekends, nights, during his PTO. He truly wants what's best for his patients.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility Solutions New York. (Assigned nurse: Leslie Mika Dychiao)
I actually communicated frequently with Dr T vs the nurse, which was a huge draw for me vs other larger clinics.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
Luckily we had insurance coverage so I'm not sure about OOP cycle costs.
I believe Dr. T preferred single transfer to avoid multiples. I didn't have that option so it wasn't an issue for us.
Sher Fertility Solutions New York

It is small and more of a 'boutique' clinic. Individual appointment times for monitoring are a huge plus. The biggest weakness is that it is extremely expensive, much more than competing clinics...For the most part, they [nurses at Sher Fertility of New York] were very good. However, some were certainly better than others. Overall, they were all good st the care they delivered and organization...Monitoring was made by individual appointments rather than a giant cattle call. In addition, I was able to personally communicate with my doctor through email whenever I needed.
After initially being treated at Cornell for 4 failed cycles, I switched to Dr. T after my original doctor suggested using a surrogate. Although I should have been a very easy case (blocked tubes and a history of prior successful pregnancies, I was diagnosed with implantation failure. Dr. Tortoriello did a full and thorough work up with different testing and was willing and able to think outside of the box. This was EXACTLY what I needed. We transferred my last 3 frozen embryos - the ones that had been picked over each prior transfer - and it finally worked. I only kick myself for not going to him sooner. Dr. T is kind, compassionate to a point but also realistic. During our consultations, he didn't sugar coat things and gives you the honest facts. This was actually a little hard for me as a patient since I prefer a hand holder and a little more optimism. But he wholeheartedly wants it to work for his patients without making promises. During procedures and monitoring, he was upbeat and reassuring. I will 1000% be going back to him again. When everyone had given up on me, he made it happen.
Do your research beforehand. He is very willing to try new things.
We did a natural, frozen embryo cycle. He had me on 2 weeks of antibiotics during the first part of my cycle since I had been questioning infection. In addition, 5mg of prednisone and Foltanx. After the transfer, I supplemented with PIO and estrogen.
For the most part, they were very good. However, some were certainly better than others. Overall, they were all good st the care they delivered and organization.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
I don't remember the exact breakdown since I still had insurance coverage at that time. However, I know it is an extremely expensive clinic.
He based my transfer on my individual history (many prior failed transfers) and the grading of my embryos which I greatly appreciated. I think this is his approach with all his patients.

2014 - 2016, Successful
I had ‘unexplained’ infertility and nothing seemed to be working, despite seemingly endless tests and attempts. After some time under his care Dr. T [Tortoriello] believed I had silent endometriosis and other immunological issues. ... He dealt gracefully and calmly with my sometimes unpleasant and frustrated attitude. His responsiveness to emails was extremely valuable to me, as I often emailed him frantically about my case.
I really appreciated that this clinic [Sher Fertility of New York] was small and it felt intimate. The nurses were great and the other doctors I saw were so wonderful and compassionate, even though I wasn't their patient. The most difficult part was dealing with billing. It's been 3 years since I've been at the practice so maybe this has changed but I had a lot of hours spent trying to track down invoices and bill, etc.
I found Dr. T after being dissatisfied with the care at another practice. I did a lot of research and chose to move to Sher so I could be treated by Dr. T. This was the best decision I made as he is truly one of a kind. I had ‘unexplained’ infertility and nothing seemed to be working, despite seemingly endless tests and attempts. After some time under his care Dr. T believed I had silent endometriosis and other immunological issues. He referred me to a specialist who was able to remove my endometriosis surgically and he worked with that practice to continue my treatment until he delivered the amazing news that I was finally pregnant!! Throughout my time there, Dr. T always remained positive and always approached us with new ideas on how to change course (we requested this). He dealt gracefully and calmly with my sometimes unpleasant and frustrated attitude. His responsiveness to emails was extremely valuable to me, as I often emailed him frantically about my case. 10 months after I had my daughter I found out I was pregnant again (naturally!) and my OBGYN was concerned that my hormone levels were very low, he was certain it was a bad pregnancy. I quickly emailed Dr. T, whom I hadn’t spoken to in over a year and asked his opinion. He was, as always, honest but hopeful. That pregnancy ended in a perfectly healthy baby. I will always be thankful to him for finally diagnosing my issue and providing a solution, and ultimately being responsible for the two beauties that are now in our lives! I cannot forget to also acknowledge the nurses and other doctors in the practice who were all so wonderful as well. This is truly a special practice.
I think all patients of all doctors should always advocate for themselves. Come to the appointment as informed as possible, think about what questions you want to ask beforehand.
The practice seemed small and more intimate. You would see maybe 2 or 3 patients in the waiting room. At another practice I had been to there were more than 50 patients in the waiting room each time I went, a different doctor would see me every time and had no clue what my history was. Dr. T always met with me for a discussion whenever I requested, always responded to my emails within an hour and most importantly remembered who I was when I came into his office.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
I really appreciated that this clinic was small and it felt intimate. The nurses were great and the other doctors I saw were so wonderful and compassionate, even though I wasn't their patient. The most difficult part was dealing with billing. It's been 3 years since I've been at the practice so maybe this has changed but I had a lot of hours spent trying to track down invoices and bill, etc.
2014 - 2016, Successful
Doctor Tortoriello is caring, knowledgeable and professional. He is always available to his patients, even when he is not in his office. We again ALWAYS received an answer within 5 minutes. He run tests, gave us hope and came up with a plan. After couple additional tests we were diagnosed with thyroid problems, endometriosis and my husband has low sperm count. We also had prolactin level problems and high alfa cells counts. We did not succeed with the first approach, but it gave doctor enough information to optimize and individualize approach. Right now, it is middle of the night when we are writing it, and we are not sleeping because we have a small miracle that is crying by our side since she is hungry...
TRUST HIM
Our dream came true thanks to Dr. Drew Tortoriello Everything began four years ago when we decided to start family. We tried to get pregnant for year with no luck met. That time I went to see my ob/gyn who sent us for some tests. We were confused, sad and depressed. She told us that IVF is our only option. So we went to clinic that was closest to our hometown. Doctors explained us what should we expect, but after failed IUI, IVF cycles and one miscarriage we were disappointed. We did not know what to do next, stay with clinic that follow protocol and won't make any changes or find someone else who can help us. At that time, I met a friend who was doctor’s T. patient and who got pregnant after first cycle of IVF in her 40s. So we called dr. T. office to make apt. and it was best decision of our live. Doctor Tortoriello is caring, knowledgeable and professional. He is always available to his patients, even when he is not in his office. We again ALWAYS received an answer within 5 minutes. He run tests, gave us hope and came up with a plan. After couple additional tests we were diagnosed with thyroid problems, endometriosis and my husband has low sperm count. We also had prolactin level problems and high alfa cells counts. We did not succeed with the first approach, but it gave doctor enough information to optimize and individualize approach. Right now, it is middle of the night when we are writing it, and we are not sleeping because we have a small miracle that is crying by our side since she is hungry. We are happiest since this is something that wouldn't be possible without doctor T. What we want to say is beyond 5 stars, excellent service etc. He helped us made life dream come true, so make appointment with him and you will see by yourself. THANK YOU DR. TORTORIELLO and SHER INSTITUTE FOR OUR BEAUTIFUL BABY GIRL AIMEE :)
TRUST HIM
Sher Fertility Solutions New York
I got the same egg number but made 2 blastocytes. He [Dr. Drew Tortoriello] implanted both on day 5 and one made my daughter!...He spent over an hour at our first consult and he went over all my old records thoroughly and there was a lot! He didn't discourage me even though I was told I was "too old" and had "old eggs" by other doctors so he gave me hope. He saw me for EVERY visit !! he did all his own sonograms and the retrieval and transfer. This was night and day compared to my other centers where I saw my main doctor once or twice the whole time.
I got the same egg number but made 2 blastocytes. He [Dr. Drew Tortoriello] implanted both on day 5 and one made my daughter!...she [nurse at Sher Fertility of New York] was very warm and funny and I must have emailed her about twice a day for a month! She never complained and always was up beat...new offices. Clean and bright. Great doctor and nurse. Lab must be great too as I made the best embryos I ever made. Need better cookies in the waiting room though..the biscotti has to go!
He is just a very kind man who cares. You can tell. He never rushed me and answered my emails, sometimes late at night, all the time. He was very realistic without dashing my dreams and prayers. He is incredibly busy but somehow always reached out to me to see how I was doing. Love that man.
See him first...not after schlepping through 2 factory centers first!!!
He used estrogen patches and then stimulation medication. Lower dosages than before. Felt much less bloaty. He triggered me a bit later I think. I got the same egg number but made 2 blastocytes. He implanted both on day 5 and one made my daughter!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility Solutions New York. (Assigned nurse: Lesly)
she was very warm and funny and I must have emailed her about twice a day for a month! She never complained and always was up beat.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
Great. new offices. Clean and bright. Great doctor and nurse. Lab must be great too as I made the best embryos I ever made. Need better cookies in the waiting room though..the biscotti has to go!
Not much....my insurance covers me for 3 cycles.
He offered to implant one, but I wanted both, and he said it was all right as I was nearly 40.
2012 - 2013, Successful
He [Dr Drew Tortoriello] combines facts/figures with also the emotional piece. Didn't shy away from any topic. Gave us realistic picture but also hope. I'm glad we were recommended to him by friends who also had success. More importantly, seems to be very ethical--never wanted to go over board with drugs, used by own cycle at least to try to see if it would work (did), never suggested we transfer too many, respected our decisions
The clinic manager [at Sher Fertility of New York] is really great helping with insurance etc. The billing company is in Nevada, they don't seem quite as organized but this year are better...Always answer the phone quickly. Get back to you in a reasonable time. Because a lot of this happens on weekends etc they seem to have a good system organized for all of that. Only problem is that a lot of appointments the actual time is not given until day before which can be tough but they are or try to be accommodating. Given the issues of who cycles/bodies work not sure if this can be helped. The physical place is a little too pink for my taste seems from
He combines facts/figures with also the emotional piece. Didn't shy away from any topic. Gave us realistic picture but also hope. I'm glad we were recommended to him by friends who also had success. More importantly, seems to be very ethical--never wanted to go over board with drugs, used by own cycle at least to try to see if it would work (did), never suggested we transfer too many, respected our decisions
Be prepared to listen even if it's emotional. He really listens but the patient needs to know how to listen also and express all of their concerns
Great explanations of questions. At the same time, doesn't linger on the negative, looks to see what results are and changes tactics if needed. Seems to have good communication with his nursing staff. I had a concern about hyper stimulation and about insemminating too many and both were address thoughtfully and realistically. He might not appear warm and fuzzy but is a very caring, smart doctor. Not for those looking to be babied or looking to get the doctor to do whatever they want. This is a medical treatment with great risks and he is a person of integrity.
Don't really remember. Seemed to include ganerelix and some other shot for ovulation and the usual trigger injection, progesterone etc at the beginning. Nothing all that unusual
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
This is a combination of ratings for two nurses. First cycle the nurse didn't seem so organize. Then she wasn't there anymore. The second one and subsequent one for 2nd cycle were great. Very informative, clear on protocols, injection techniques, dates, what would happen, follow-up with results, labs etc. They have nice printed color coded calendars easy to follow. Can probably use more picture explanations of how/when/where to inject although the web is full of those.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
Always answer the phone quickly. Get back to you in a reasonable time. Because a lot of this happens on weekends etc they seem to have a good system organized for all of that. Only problem is that a lot of appointments the actual time is not given until day before which can be tough but they are or try to be accommodating. Given the issues of who cycles/bodies work not sure if this can be helped. The physical place is a little too pink for my taste seems from another time but I'm glad they've kept a nice group of people who seem happy to be there and do their job well. The clinic manager is really great helping with insurance etc. The billing company is in Nevada, they don't seem quite as organized but this year are better.
Covered by insurance. Out of pocket probably around $2000 per cycle? Covered around 10-20K/cycle?
What specific things went wrong at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
The whole pharmacy thing is complicated. Easy to make mistakes. Employers now are cracking down so can't use the usual fertility or compounding pharmacies that Sher is used to using.
2011 - 2013, Unknown Success
He [Dr. Drew Tortoriello] listened to me and was never patronizing, and he wasn't afraid to admit it if he didn't have an immediate or good answer for something. I always appreciated the fact that he never discouraged me from researching or things on my own and asking questions--and was never dismissive when I did--because quite frankly, I couldn't have gone or stayed with any doctor with whom that wasn't the case. He also had a gentle hand with both ultrasound and retrievals (and was awake for all of the latter)... when you have as many as I did, that's really important! Overall, I would recommend him highly.
Physically the offices aren't as fancy/expensive-looking as Cornell or New Hope or NYU, but don't let that influence your decision because overall, SIRM-NY is high quality where it counts! The most important thing is to find a good doctor who you feel is the right person to have on your team for what can be a very long and challenging process, and I found that in this clinic. Their scheduling and front desk staff was also good, which I don't think I've mentioned yet but which makes a difference when you have to have as many appointments as fertility treatment involves!
I already covered this in the why I felt like a human rather than a number section, and this interface won't let me cut and paste so unfortunately if you want more coherence you're going to have to refer to my previous answer. Short version, Dr. Tortoriello: -- listened to me -- was never patronizing or dismissive of my questions -- never discouraged me from doing my own research -- was kind -- was a straight talker about my treatment details -- had a good sense of humor -- was deft and gentle in his touch with both ultrasound and during retrievals
Dr. Tortoriello was kind and friendly and had a good sense of humor, but also very practical and straightforward when it came to discussing the details of my treatment with me. He listened to me and was never patronizing, and he wasn't afraid to admit it if he didn't have an immediate or good answer for something. I always appreciated the fact that he never discouraged me from researching or things on my own and asking questions--and was never dismissive when I did--because quite frankly, I couldn't have gone or stayed with any doctor with whom that wasn't the case. He also had a gentle hand with both ultrasound and retrievals (and was awake for all of the latter)... when you have as many as I did, that's really important! Overall, I would recommend him highly.
I remember all of this, but I did too many cycles to be extremely specific here. To give a quick overview, though, after my first disastrous high stim cycle (nothing frozen), I then always did a low-medium stim cycle with Femara for a few days, then added anywhere from 75-300 FSH plus a small dose of HGH (Omnitrope .5mL or less) per day. We then added Ganerelix to suppress ovulation when that became necessary, until it was time for retrieval. The standard 10,000iu hCG trigger shot was used every time. Occasionally we did a luteal phase start. The rationale for this was that the super high stim protocol oversuppressed me and my AFC was never that high anyway (although we would never start a cycle with less than 4, which meant I took off a couple of months after every cycle so my follicle count could replenish itself a bit). With this protocol, I always had at least 1 blastocyst frozen per cycle. I didn't do genetic testing so I've no idea how many of those embryos are normal, butvam assuming at least a few of them probably are.
There were a lot of them so I was friendlier with some than others, but I got along with all of them and never had any unpleasant incidents of any kind in the three years I was a patient there. It helped that I could also always email my doctor directly too if necessary.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
I've tried to block it out, but it was commensurate with other equivalent clinics in NYC and slightly cheaper than a couple of the others I considered at the time
As long as my doctor is willing to do eSET, I think that's up to the patient; I never wanted it so it never came up, but I'm pretty sure Dr. Tortoriello would do it if that was what I wanted--it's my body/money/willingness to risk or reduce a multiple pregnancy!
Sher Fertility Solutions New York

[Dr. Tortoriello] is not super warm and fuzzy and yet I can tell he cares about my case and wants me to achieve my goal. He is direct but with good bedside manner. He always remembers the exact details of my case. He treats me as a collaborator in my treatment rather than just someone to be told what to do...He will work with you to get tests that you want. For example, I asked for NK and thyroid tests before my first transfer and he agreed.
[The nursing staff at Sher Fertility Solutions NY is] SO organized. Quick email replies. Straightforward and thorough. Does a great job...No clinic is perfect. It doesn't have the bells and whistles and modern features as some of the others...the lab is excellent -- ALL of my mature eggs fertilized over 3 retrievals. The doctors are great and I know I'll have success here...aboutt $12000 per IVF cycle (not including meds)
Dr. T is not super warm and fuzzy and yet I can tell he cares about my case and wants me to achieve my goal. He is direct but with good bedside manner. He always remembers the exact details of my case. He treats me as a collaborator in my treatment rather than just someone to be told what to do.
At each step, ask about what diagnostics are available. He will work with you to get tests that you want. For example, I asked for NK and thyroid tests before my first transfer and he agreed.
I felt that he was always communicative and remembered the details of my exact case. I was always impressed with that.
Antagonist protocol. The 2nd cycle we added HGH during sims and 3rd cycle priming with HGH. Improved each time!
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
No clinic is perfect. It doesn't have the bells and whistles and modern features as some of the others. Not sleek like Columbia and Cornell. But the lab is excellent -- ALL of my mature eggs fertilized over 3 retrievals. The doctors are great and I know I'll have success here.
aboutt $12000 per IVF cycle (not including meds)
He recommends eSET for me b/c I have PGS normals. I do have an undetermined and he said he would transfer the undetermined along with a PGS normal if I wanted.
Sher Fertility Solutions New York
My wife and I had an amazing experience with Dr. T. [Tortoriello] ... We used Clomid then injectables for PCOS, and then used IUI to help with sperm morphology issues ... Throughout the process Dr. T was patient and understanding, always available to answer our questions. He had a steady optimism that even in the worst of times during our process, let us knew one way or another things would work out.
The clinic [Sher Fertility of NY] is great with an amazing team. They have all of the facilities needed and are always available when you need them. They are organized and everyone treats you nicely. I recommend them and they make you feel comfortable throughout the process ... We had to call them sometimes to get all of the information we needed and they didn't always proactively call or explain. But overall was not a big problem
My wife and I had an amazing experience with Dr. T. We had a bit of a difficult time getting pregnant and currently we are celebrating nearly a week with our healthy beautiful baby girl. Throughout the process Dr. T was patient and understanding, always available to answer our questions. He had a steady optimism that even in the worst of times during our process, let us knew one way or another things would work out. It took a while and there were some struggles, but having him by our side throughout the process made things much easier. We recommend Dr. T highly without any reservations
Don't be afraid to ask questions - he always is patient and happy to explain things
Dr T has amazing bedside manner and explains all of your options to you. He expresses a realistic optimism that as we were having trouble let us know everything was going to be ok
Amazing all around
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
The clinic is great with an amazing team. They have all of the facilities needed and are always available when you need them. They are organized and everyone treats you nicely. I recommend them and they make you feel comfortable throughout the process
Sher Fertility Solutions New York

Dr. Tortoriello was friendly and professional. He stated exactly what he found and diagnosed my condition immediately. He mentioned several options for my treatment and responded to all my emails. Dr. T talked with my on the phone to calm me down when I was very upset over my fibroid bleeding. He told me all would turn out well over time, and everything did. I highly recommend Dr. Tortoriello for any and all fertility needs and female issues. He is kind, knowledgeable and treats you like a human being...
I was very pleased to find out that Dr. Tortoriello took my insurance [at Sher Fertility of NY] and that he participates in many insurances. He tries very hard to work with his patients' comfort level...My experience as a patient was excellent. I was extremely nervous visiting Dr. Tortoriello because I was heavily bleeding and did not know why. Dr. T made sure I did multiple tests to diagnose my situation. He prescribed an endometrial biopsy, sonogram, and inter uterine sonogram. Once he diagnosed the fibroid pressing on my uterus, he knew I needed a hormone shot, medicine and surgical procedures. All went very well and the bleeding has stopped! I didn't feel like a number, I felt like a patient who was cared about. Dr. T. always remembered my case and plus he even wrote me in between visits to check on me. My experience with him has been wonderful. Thank you Dr. T!
Be very honest with him about all your symptoms and trust him.
I was very pleased to find out that Dr. Tortoriello took my insurance and that he participates in many insurances. He tries very hard to work with his patients' comfort level.