Good

UMDNJ

Drew Tortoriello works at

425 Fifth Ave

2015 - 2020, Successful
I liked that he [Dr. Drew Tortoriello] wasn't so rigid and open to altering course when I wasn't having the best of luck. He incorporated new tests while also including other treatments that not all clinics were offering. I had egg retrievals at other clinics and always felt sore afterward but never felt any discomfort after my procedures with Dr T...is always willing to take the time to explain things and open to suggestions which makes for a great partnership.
Had Lupron to down regulate to try to improve egg quality [at Sher Fertility of New York]. Had some low level autoimmunity so also added on intralipids and prednisone. Had ERA and transferred during receptivity window...The staff are excellent. The initial outreach is via an appointment but afterward, they would reach out via email and were easily accessible... There is a specific scheduled appointment for your monitoring appointment which means you always see the same doctor/nurse. It is great since you don't have to wait very long and have the continuity of care versus other clinics where everyone shows up at 7 in the morning and waits their turn with the doctor on call. However, Sher doesn't start until 9am and so it can be challenging if you have to get to work so that is the only negative. In addition to the doctors and nurses, the finance team is excellent and always gets back to you right away with any billing questions (Yisraela and Jessica are awesome!) which can be a major source of stress during this whole IVF process as well.
How was your experience with Drew Tortoriello at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
Dr Tortoriello is fantastic. I had high expectations for my doctor since I am a physician myself and I found that Dr T is outstanding with his bedside manner as well as expertise. I had many questions and he always took time to answer them completely with up to date studies and recommendations. I liked that he wasn't so rigid and open to altering course when I wasn't having the best of luck. He incorporated new tests while also including other treatments that not all clinics were offering. I had egg retrievals at other clinics and always felt sore afterward but never felt any discomfort after my procedures with Dr T. After some failed cycles, I did try two other clinics but they didn't end up working either and Dr T had no issue with the fact that I tried elsewhere and picked up right where we left off and in the end, I got my two babies with Dr T!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Drew Tortoriello at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
Dr T is always willing to take the time to explain things and open to suggestions which makes for a great partnership.
Describe the protocols Drew Tortoriello used in your cycles at Sher Fertility Solutions New York and their degree of success.
Had Lupron to down regulate to try to improve egg quality. Had some low level autoimmunity so also added on intralipids and prednisone. Had ERA and transferred during receptivity window.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility Solutions New York. (Assigned nurse: Frances, Bushra)
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
The clinic is smaller and so more intimate in feel. There is a specific scheduled appointment for your monitoring appointment which means you always see the same doctor/nurse. It is great since you don't have to wait very long and have the continuity of care versus other clinics where everyone shows up at 7 in the morning and waits their turn with the doctor on call. However, Sher doesn't start until 9am and so it can be challenging if you have to get to work so that is the only negative. In addition to the doctors and nurses, the finance team is excellent and always gets back to you right away with any billing questions (Yisraela and Jessica are awesome!) which can be a major source of stress during this whole IVF process as well.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Drew Tortoriello at Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
Insurance didn't cover so I had a cash plan
Describe Drew Tortoriello's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
Dr T was open to either option.

2019 - 2021, Successful
I was told that I had a 2% chance of a genetic child, due to severe diminished ovarian reserve...They [Dr. Tortoriello and his team] never sugar coated my situation, helped me understand my odds, but were always were extremely supportive and kept me motivated to continue...Ask questions. Dr. T will answer them, including over email, usually within an hour of sending the email. He is very responsive and really helps you to understand your condition and what you can do to achieve your reproductive goals
The nursing staff at SHER fertility are amazing. I was with the clinic for over 2 years, so I knew many of them well. They were very kind and also very supportive of my reproductive goals. They were also very responsive to emails, including in the evening or weekends. I never had to wait more than an hour to two for a response to an email, and I was able to email them directly, I did not have to use a program.
I was told that I had a 2% chance of a genetic child, due to severe diminished ovarian reserve. Many other doctors that I consulted with made me feel bad about my condition and made sure to always emphasize how unlikely my odds were. Dr. T and his team at SHER were totally different. They never sugar coated my situation, helped me understand my odds, but were always were extremely supportive and kept me motivated to continue. I suffered many set-backs in the 18 months I was at SHER (failed IVF cycles, empty follicles, miscarriage) and the team just keep on working with me. I never felt that they pitied me or thought I was silly to keep on trying. They treated me with respect and kept providing me with the medical information I needed to make the right decisions to help me get pregnant.
Ask questions. Dr. T will answer them, including over email, usually within an hour of sending the email. He is very responsive and really helps you to understand your condition and what you can do to achieve your reproductive goals.
After 12 months of trying to conceive naturally (including 6 of those months being monitored at SHER to try to determine when I was ovulating), we decided to start doing IVF. The goal was to get 10 day 3 embryos before we started to transfer them in. Based on my severe diminished ovarian reserve, it was clear I was at the very end of my reproductive life (even though I was only 36). We tried to get out as many embryos as possible before I stopped ovulating. It took 18 months to produce 8 embryos. Some cycles were successful and I would have a follicle growing. Sometimes I would not have a follicle growing for 3+ months. Three times I had follicles growing, but when they went in to retrieve the egg, the follicle was empty. When I had a follicle growing generally I took menopur and cetrotide to prevent early ovulation. I did not have the emotional energy to get to 10 embryos. We got to 8 and then started transferring them in.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
The clinic is great. Medical care was great, nursing was great, scheduling of appointments was great, the financial team made it very easy. I am very grateful to them! Strengths: responsiveness of team, able to email nurse and doctor directly, ability to do back to back cycles, kindness of the financial team. Weaknesses: there was some doctor turnover, but it was not an issue for me.
Each IVF cycle was about $12,000 without meds (my insurance covered all monitoring visits). Meds for each IVF cycle were between $2-5,000. IUIs were covered with my insurance. The cost for each embryo transfer was $3,000 without meds (my insurance covered monitoring visits). They offered a package for 3 IVF cycles, which saved us a lot of money.
We did three transfers (two resulted in pregnancy, one pregnancy resulted in miscarriage at 7 weeks). The first two transfers were single embryos transfers, the third transfer we used two day 3 embryos. Dr. T provided me with information about the pregnancy chances for the different options, but of course left it up to me to decide.
Sher Fertility Solutions New York

Per my preference, Dr.T[ortoriello] started with the lowest level of intervention as possible, and moved our way up to IVF. He was thoughtful in hearing out my wishes, but also supportive in telling me that he saw my husband and I as good candidates for IVF. He and his team made IVF as less scary as possible...Thorough, compassionate, kind, so dedicated to our goal of conceiving. He was patient and answered all of my questions in a direct and helpful manner. So thankful that we switched to Dr T & Sher when we did.
[Sher Fertility of New York's] team made IVF as less scary as possible...I love the nursing staff. They were responsive to ALL of my many questions and were readily available for me when and if I needed them...The only weakness I can think of is that I believe when I was going there, there was a change in management/facilities going on. (The clinic used to occupy 2 floors, then in the midst of my cycle it changed to 1) There were a few points of confusion, but they were minimal and the team tried to reduce as much confusion as possible for me and other clients.
Fertility treatment is so emotionally hard! Dr.T and his team try to alleviate as much stress and confusion as possible. Be sure to come with questions to each of your appointments (the hormones make it hard to remember everything!) and Dr.T will spend time with you to make sure to answer them.
Per my preference, Dr.T started with the lowest level of intervention as possible, and moved our way up to IVF. He was thoughtful in hearing out my wishes, but also supportive in telling me that he saw my husband and I as good candidates for IVF. He and his team made IVF as less scary as possible.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility Solutions New York. (Assigned nurse: Cecilia, Frances, Samantha and more! )
can't quite remember...but did have a co-pay of $40 for each visit
What specific things went wrong at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
this is somewhat minor, but when I was starting the medication for the egg retrieval process, I wasn't necessarily informed as to what I needed to limit myself to in terms of physical activity. Running and exercise had been part of my wellness/self care throughout this process, and I didn't realize until I went in for one of my scans, that I really should have been taking it easy during this process...
2014 - 2019, Successful
Dr T[ortoriello] had to give me bad news many times and he is gentle/kind but also honest/pragmatic and will get you through to the best results that are possible for you...consider every aspect of infertility before putting you through more cycles (egg quality, immune therapy, implantation failure etc)...Treatment for poor egg quality, banking cycles, Cgh embryo testing, treatment for implantation failure (3-4mo Lupron depot) prednisone and ivig/intralipid infusions. I had it all!
Treatment [at Sher Fertility of New York] for poor egg quality, banking cycles, Cgh embryo testing, treatment for implantation failure (3-4mo Lupron depot) prednisone and ivig/intralipid infusions. I had it all!...All of the nurses are great- I’ve worked with all of them...Boutique feel, clean& organized...you must make an appointment with your doctor as there are not bulk monitoring sessions. You are a person and not a number. They will know you. This is essential with something as stressful as an infertility battle
I had a long infertility journey and just wish I found Dr Tortoriello and his colleagues sooner. His clinic is not a factory like many of the other academic centers in NYC. The doctor will see you at every appointment, the doctor explains things to you, and the doctor KNOWS your history. The doctors here are also better than most academic centers in that they have the best training but also consider every aspect of infertility before putting you through more cycles (egg quality, immune therapy, implantation failure etc). Too many places in NYC blow off patients with autoimmunity or implantation failures but Dr Tortoriello (and his colleagues) will be able to manage it and bring success if you stick with it!!!! I’m so thankful for their help in creating my family.
Make an appointment and be willing to adjust your personal schedule to see the doctor every time. Don’t go to a factory with rotating doctors!! It’s worth it.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Drew Tortoriello at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
Dr T had to give me bad news many times and he is gentle/kind but also honest/pragmatic and will get you through to the best results that are possible for you.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility Solutions New York. (Assigned nurse: All are excellent -too many to list )
All of the nurses are great- I’ve worked with all of them
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
Boutique feel, clean& organized. Again- you must make an appointment with your doctor as there are not bulk monitoring sessions. You are a person and not a number. They will know you. This is essential with something as stressful as an infertility battle
Some though insurance some out of pocket
I was aligned with Dr T in that I preferred eSET. After such a long infertility journey, the last thing I wanted was a high risk multiples pregnancy!
Sher Fertility Solutions New York

When I came to Dr. Tortoriello, I had one embryo from my previous doctor. We tried to implant, but it failed. We were not surprised since Dr. Tortoriello advised that the medications prescribed by my previous doctor actually lowered my egg quality and count. Thereafter, we did a egg retrieval and tested two embryos using PGD. We were able to transfer one embryo which successfully implanted. I gave birth to a healthy baby girl in April 2019.
[Sher Fertility of New York's] weakness was dealing with my insurance company. I had to bear the load of reaching out to my insurance company about payments for procedures...we did a egg retrieval and tested two embryos using PGD. We were able to transfer one embryo which successfully implanted. I gave birth to a healthy baby girl...The clinic's strengths was that Dr. Tortoriello was able to use his advanced knowledge to assist us to have a child. We interviewed with other doctors who told us that there was nothing more we can do. Dr. Tortoriello confirmed that he had new techniques that we could try to help us.
He always answered all my questions completely and with compassion. He answered all e-mails in detail and promptly. He was always on time for his appointments and took time with me to make sure I understood everything going on. He gave me honest opinions while being optimist as possible. During my initial consult, he reviewed my file in advance of the meeting and was able to discuss potential future options.
Ask questions if you do not understand or want to know more
He remembered details about my fertility during our appointments and did not need to continue to refer to my chart. He spoke to me kindly and with compassion. He always made sure all of my questions were answered.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility Solutions New York. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay Cluff)
Lindsay was an excellent nurse! I absolutely loved her positive attitude. She answered all of e-mails promptly and in detail. Unfortunately, she left the practice once I was ready for a transfer.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
The clinic's strengths was that Dr. Tortoriello was able to use his advanced knowledge to assist us to have a child. We interviewed with other doctors who told us that there was nothing more we can do. Dr. Tortoriello confirmed that he had new techniques that we could try to help us. The clinic's weakness was dealing with my insurance company. I had to bear the load of reaching out to my insurance company about payments for procedures. This was extremely time consuming but I did not mind doing it since I wanted to save myself money.
I was covered by insurance up to $25,000. Retrieval was approximately $12,000 and transfer was approximately $4,000. All other appointments were specialist co-pays of $30.
Sher Fertility Solutions New York

He [Dr. Drew Tortoriello] is very considerate and always asked how I was feeling every time I had treatment with him. Dr. T is truly a kind man who cares about his patients...After numerous setbacks in previous cycles, we were desperate to find a doctor who could identify our own issues and adjust treatment methods accordingly. We have been fortunate that we met Dr. T and cannot thank enough what he did to us. Dr. T is kind and compassionate and has the ability and experience to adjust his treatment methods according to various situations of his patients.
Response is super quick [by nurse at Sher Fertility of New York] and she rarely makes a communication error...We were asked about the choice b/w eSET v. Multiple and chose eSET...Small settings, not too many patients, no significant wait time. Front desk is very kind and friendly. Dr. T’s team (including his coordinator) is solid and we had no complaints. One thing is that we cannot make an appointment via its website - it would be nice if the web-portal site is up and running.
Trust him and you will get to where you want to be at.
He is very considerate and always asked how I was feeling every time I had treatment with him. Dr. T is truly a kind man who cares about his patients.
After we had a negative pregnancy, Dr. T gave us a different medication plan. Basically we tried different medications (e.g. baby Aspirin, Letrozole, Cetrotide, etc.) in the last transfer cycle. I believe the adjustment he made in the medication plan of the last cycle contributed a lot to conceiving.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility Solutions New York. (Assigned nurse: Cecilia Choe)
Response is super quick and she rarely makes a communication error.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
We were asked about the choice b/w eSET v. Multiple and chose eSET.

2016 - 2019, Successful
He [Dr. Tortoriello] really does never stop trying until you achieve your desired result but at the same time is not too invasive and tries to give you only medication you really need which I really appreciated. The fact that he is so responsive with questions by email was also extremely valuable to me. I can only think of one thing to improve and that would be informing patients about symptoms or consequences that certain medications can have. Overall he is fantastic and would recommend him to everyone struggling with fertility.
The clinic [Sher Fertility of New York] is small and very organized which I think is exactly what you want. The staff is extremely nice ans responsive and always try to help in any manner they can. The nurses doing your blood work are also very competent which is important specially if you end up going weekly! Everything is very clean...As our infertility was unexplained, we started with IUI which unfortunately did not work. After a few tries we moved to IVF which worked perfectly. Sadly we had a miscarriage and later discovered it would be due to autoimmune problems.
Drew Tortoriello is a great doctor who takes huge cafe of his patients. He really does never stop trying until you achieve your desired result but at the same time is not too invasive and tries to give you only medication you really need which I really appreciated. The fact that he is so responsive with questions by email was also extremely valuable to me. I can only think of one thing to improve and that would be informing patients about symptoms or consequences that certain medications can have. Overall he is fantastic and would recommend him to everyone struggling with fertility.
You are in good hands!
Dr T and his team would always answer all my questions via email or in person and treated me with a lot of care. Even when the autoimmune doctor recommended a protocol he thought was too strong for me, we would analyze it in detail and tailor it to my needs.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
The clinic is small and very organized which I think is exactly what you want. The staff is extremely nice ans responsive and always try to help in any manner they can. The nurses doing your blood work are also very competent which is important specially if you end up going weekly! Everything is very clean
Very reasonable costa always as they work with insurances
Sher Fertility Solutions New York

During my consultation with [Dr. Tortoriello], he took his time explaining to my husband and I what our options were. He explained exactly how IVF works and what needs to be done leading up to the procedure. He also suggested that we try IUI first before moving on to IVF since I had gotten pregnant the previous year by IUI. He has a calm and charismatic misdemeanor and I truly appreciate that... listens to the needs of the patient. Great bedside manner and optomistic. I Highly recommend Dr. T. I had a bad experience with another fertility doctor and Dr. T was the complete opposite.
Everything was great [at Sher Fertility of New York]...One of the front desk workers input my telephone number incorrectly which led to miscommunication with one of my appointments but other than that they were kind to me. Always offered me water and asked how I was doing...Frances Faundez [nurse] was quick to respond to my emails or would direct me to the correct person. She has a friendly demeanor.
Excellent doctor who listens to the needs of the patient. Great bedside manner and optomistic. I Highly recommend Dr. T. I had a bad experience with another fertility doctor and Dr. T was the complete opposite.
Ger ready to get pregnant!
During my consultation with Dr. Tortoriello, he took his time explaining to my husband and I what our options were. He explained exactly how IVF works and what needs to be done leading up to the procedure. He also suggested that we try IUI first before moving on to IVF since I had gotten pregnant the previous year by IUI. He has a calm and charismatic misdemeanor and I truly appreciate that.
Dr. Tortoriello was going to put me on 50mg of Clomid. I suggested we increase that to 100mg since that's the dosage the previous doctor had given me which resulted in a positive pregnancy test. He listened and increased the doseage. I appreciated that. It led to my successful pregnancy!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility Solutions New York. (Assigned nurse: Frances Faundez)
Frances Faundez was quick to respond to my emails or would direct me to the correct person. She has a friendly demeanor.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
Everything was great. One of the front desk workers input my telephone number incorrectly which led to miscommunication with one of my appointments but other than that they were kind to me. Always offered me water and asked how I was doing.
My IUI was covered. I just had to pay for clomid which was discounted through insurance.
Sher Fertility Solutions New York

[Dr. Tortoriello] was incredibly compassionate...I never felt like “cattle” and always felt like a person. His quick responsiveness to all of my questions assured me during a very anxiety-ridden time... I never felt like I was going through this process alone. Even after I “graduated” from his care and transitioned to a routine OB, Dr T still answered any outstanding questions I had in a very quick and direct manner...
[Sher Fertility of New York is a] Beautiful calming environment where you don’t feel like 1 in a thousand. You are usually only one of 3 ppl there vs a prior clinic where I sat in an uncomfortable bench with 20+ women waiting to be monitored. I never felt like a piece of cattle...[The nurses are] Lovely people who also put me at ease at every step of the process...Menopur and Gonal injections for egg retrieval— progesterone / estrogen /folic acid post transfer up until 11 weeks pregnant
Dr T’s responsiveness to my questions put me at ease. I never felt like I was going through this process alone. Even after I “graduated” from his care and transitioned to a routine OB, Dr T still answered any outstanding questions I had in a very quick and direct manner.
Trust him.
Dr T was incredibly compassionate - and just the feel of his office was light years different from a prior fertility practice I was treated at. I never felt like “cattle” and always felt like a person. His quick responsiveness to all of my questions assured me during a very anxiety-ridden time.
Lovely people who also put me at ease at every step of the process
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
Beautiful calming environment where you don’t feel like 1 in a thousand. You are usually only one of 3 ppl there vs a prior clinic where I sat in an uncomfortable bench with 20+ women waiting to be monitored. I never felt like a piece of cattle at Dr T’s office and that meant a lot.
Everything was covered under my insurance - except for some medications.
2011 - 2013, Unknown Success
Was sure to explain every step of each process and always answered any questions. Very knowledgeable in his [Dr. Tortoriello] field. Never misleading. Explained things we had no idea about. As to why pcos causes infertility. Helpful throughout the whole process especially when we ran into issues with our insurance and med coverage ... Explained everything thoroughly and cared about what we were going through. Compassionate and caring
[Sher Fertility of New York] Absolutely amazing so helpful caring and compassionate. Talked us through everything. And understood what we were going through. Felt at ease after our first visit after the first dr we saw was horrible at another clinic ... [Nursing staff] Just like dr very compassionate and understanding ... Expect honesty and to actually feel like a human not a pay check
Was sure to explain every step of each process and always answered any questions. Very knowledgeable in his field. Never misleading. Explained things we had no idea about. As to why pcos causes infertility. Helpful throughout the whole process especially when we ran into issues with our insurance and med coverage
Expect honesty and to actually feel like a human not a pay check
I dont remember
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
Just like dr very compassionate and understanding
What specific things went wrong at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
When sher nj closed my records got lost in transfer
Purchase (closed)

2017 - 2019, Successful
Appoints always available [at Sher Fertility of NY], easy to work through and insurance / payment questions. The staff was always accommodating and there to help with anything needed. Great teachers as well! During IVF the nurses were great at helping to set up ordering all meds, showing how to inject, etc...[Dr. Tortoriello] always made us feel comfortable and well taken care of. Always matter of fact and able to answer anything we sent his way...My experience over the past 2 years was wonderful all the way through. After 3 failed IUI treatments, we were ready to proceed into IVF. Dr T was there for us every step of the way. We valued his opinion 100 % and he always made us feel like we were all in this together. After 1 cycle of IVF, I am now in week 13 of my first pregnancy :) baby is strong and healthy, thanks Dr T!!!
To be open and honest no matter what, because that’s how Dr T can best guide you
Dr. T always made us feel comfortable and well taken care of. Always matter of fact and able to answer anything we sent his way.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility Solutions New York. (Assigned nurse: Cecelia)
Every single nurse at Sher was amazing! Shout out to Cindy :)
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
Appoints always available, easy to work through and insurance / payment questions. The staff was always accommodating and there to help with anything needed. Great teachers as well! During IVF the nurses were great at helping to set up ordering all meds, showing how to inject, etc
My insurance is AMAZING I’ll I paid for was my deductible - which was to cover the IVF meds. No other out of pockets payments at all
My husband and I always thought we wanted to transfer 2 embryos when the time came. Dr T walked us through the benefits and risk factors that 2 could possibly bring onto myself and the embryos. I’m a very small at 5ft 110lbs and his option really matters to us. We decided on 1 embryo transfer for the best possible outcome