Available by cell phone
Spartanburg
1330 Boiling Springs Rd.
Spartanburg, SC 29303
(864)-583-2669
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Edward Tarnawa to a friend?

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group to a friend?
Dr. Tarnawa has been very thorough with us in discussing each step along the path to pregnancy. ... My wife suffers from PCOS ... When he can tell we may be worried or concerned, he has been quick to provide positive support and words of encouragement. ... He is sharp, and I appreciate that he takes the time to fulling explain things to a point we understand them. ...
How was your experience with Edward Tarnawa at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. Tarnawa is a good communicator and he makes sure to explain not only the recommended course of treatment but also the reason that course of action was chosen. Dr. Tarnawa always provides us with a thorough explanation of the risks and benefits of the various choices facing us. He is sharp, and I appreciate that he takes the time to fulling explain things to a point we understand them.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Edward Tarnawa at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
I would just say the he is very busy and you won't see him at every visit, but rest assured he is involved/supervising every step of the way.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Edward Tarnawa at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. Tarnawa has been very thorough with us in discussing each step along the path to pregnancy. He made sure to put things into terms we could understand and he always answers the many questions we have for him. When he can tell we may be worried or concerned, he has been quick to provide positive support and words of encouragement.
Describe the protocols Edward Tarnawa used in your cycles at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group and their degree of success.
My wife suffers from PCOS and does not have a regular cycle/doesn't ovulate on her own. Dr. Tarnawa examined her thoroughly and said that we could take medicine that would cause her to ovulate. He explained clomid and letrozole could both cause ovulation. He told us the positives and negatives of using each and allowed us to make the choice. We went with letrozole and after getting a base line reading of her follicle size, we completed a round of the medication and he began to measure her follicles shortly after to see the growth. He wanted a follicle to reach 20 mm. He also made sure to measure her endometrium to see its thickening. My wife's body responded and a follicle measured 20 mm so a trigger shot of ovidrel was administered. We then had an IUI, not the immediately falling day, but the day after that. The first time we discovered she did not ovulate. He increased the dosage amount of the letrozole for the second IUI attempt and followed the same procedure as before. This time she did ovulate and we home tested positive for pregnancy but it ultimately ended up being a chemical pregnancy. We followed the same procedure for our third IUI and got eleven weeks into a pregnancy but miscarried. We just completed our fourth IUI, again following the same procedure of taking letrozole, three 2.5 tablets per day for seven days, measuring follicle growth and endometrium response, doing a trigger shot after one follicle reaches 20mm or more, and the IUI a day and a half later.
All of the nurses are very welcoming. They greet with smiles and are quick to answer questions. Each nurse has a unique personality and is very good about being super supportive. They have made us laugh and smile and enjoy being there. They have become part of our family!
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths: Compassionate health care provided on a daily basis, thorough communication with patients, genuine concern for our success and feelings, always providing supportive words of encouragement. Weaknesses: Sometimes they can be disorganized and at times you may have to wait a little while passed your scheduled appointment time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Edward Tarnawa at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
We have to pay for ultrasounds, blood draws, testing, semen analysis, IUIs, consultations, lab work.
Describe Edward Tarnawa's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
We have not engaged in either of those.
Columbia

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Edward Tarnawa at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.

Dr Tarnawa is a knowledgeable, kind, understanding, creative and flexible provider. He is through in his explanations and like to get to the bottom of things. He includes the patient in the treatment plan, giving me the option to wait longer to pursue an IUI.... I completed one round of Clomid for 5 days right after my period. Unfortunately my cycle was 42 days which was rare for me so I did have to come in for multiple ultrasounds along the way. I did end up with follicles that we’re mature and received and injection right before the IUI was completed.
European, Black or African-American
Dr Tarnawa is a knowledgeable, kind, understanding, creative and flexible provider. He is through in his explanations and like to get to the bottom of things. He includes the patient in the treatment plan, giving me the option to wait longer to pursue an IUI. His consultation was detailed and provided me and my husband with lots of information and educational material. I really felt comfortable around him and trusted his input and suggestions.
Be patient and flexible. Ask as many questions as you can to feel comfortable.
I felt that he was willing to be flexible and go the extra mile to see me, even though there are so many more women in my shoes
I completed one round of Clomid for 5 days right after my period. Unfortunately my cycle was 42 days which was rare for me so I did have to come in for multiple ultrasounds along the way. I did end up with follicles that we’re mature and received and injection right before the IUI was completed. The pregnancy test results were negative and when I came back in for the next cycle I had a large cyst so took a month break. I decided to take another month break with my schedule but plan on going back for my next cycle to try another attempt at IUI if I am not pregnant by then.
Friendly and compassionate. Made my experience exciting and fun!
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
An in house nurse able to answer calls or call back as opposed to a nurse line that might be located in another city. More direction in the process of when to call and ovulation tests and when to order ovulation injections.
My deducatable had not been met so costs added up to about $700 for me to personally pay for the one IUi because of multiple ultrasounds
Not applicable
Columbia

Dr. Tarnawa has always been very personable and caring. He is very easy to talk to and thoroughly describes everything. I have a retroverted uterus and my cervix is angled up so the IUI procedure was more difficult and took a little thinking outside of the box, using different flexible catheters.... I went to Dr. Tarnawa as a second opinion after working with an alternate fertility clinic. I was diagnosed with unexplained infertility after all of my tests came back normal. This is now the fourth year I've been trying to conceive my first child.
Send staff to sensitivity training...
Dr. Tarawa has always been personable and caring. He has gone in to great detail when explaining everything, including care and procedures. I felt like some of the staff workibg with him were not as personable and at times made me feel like a number.
I went to Dr. Tarnawa as a second opinion after working with an alternate fertility clinic. I was diagnosed with unexplained infertility after all of my tests came back normal. This is now the fourth year I've been trying to conceive my first child. Because of my small size I was started on 50 MG clomid before my first IUI. I was only producing 1-2 follicles so he increased my clomid to 100mg which prompted my body to produce a more follicles but still only 1-2 would continue to advance. After three clomid cycles, 2 being IUI cycles, i was still unable to conceive.
Overall the nursing staff were pleasant to work with. I had two occasions, with two different nurses, that I felt were upsetting. First, when I was checking out after my last ultrasound visit, I was given a time for my husband and I to come back for a semen retrieval and IUI. I asked the checkout nurse if there was another time available that day and the look she gave me was like, "are you serious!?" and she very loudly asked, "for your insemination procedure!?" There were several others in the lobby and I felt a little embarrassed. Also not sure why she felt the need to ask since of course that is what I'm referring to being my only scheduled appointment. The second time was during my second IUI. When I went for my first IUI I was never told to come with a full bladder and therefore the procedure was more difficult and painful. So I made sure to drink a glass of water and not use the restroom the second time around, obviously I would want the procedure to be as easy and painless as possible. So when they started the ultrasound the nurse assisting my usual nurse (who is great) kept asking if I really drank anything because my bladder was not full. It almost seemed like she was accusing me of lying. She then proceeded to berate me about it, pointing it out on the ultrasound and getting increasingly frustrated. So much so that i felt the tears welling upon my eyes. Luckily they left the room, to get me an entire bottle of water, so they did not see. In the end, the full bladder did not make much of a difference because of the positioning of my uterus and bend in my cervix.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Overall my experience has been pleasant. I do feel there was a communication disconnect on occasion. One nurse would tell me one thing, then another would tell me something different. I also scheduled an appt once and when I arrived they had no record that the appointment was made. What's funny is that was the only time I had them write my appointment date and time on a business card so I had proof that I had scheduled the appointment. I ended up waiting over an hour.
Every ultrasound visit I would pay around $100 out of pocket. I paid around $250 for each IUI out of pocket.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
1 IVF, Surrogacy
Dr. Tarnawa was thorough and patient. He explained things well and never seemed to be rushing us out the door. He seems to be a genuine person who cares about his patients. His greatest weakness is that he left my clinic and moved to another state!... Dr. Tarnawa took a lot of time to talk to us from the beginning, and I felt like he always remembered our particular situation at each visit.... We did a freeze-all IVF cycle using Bravelle, Menopur, and Ganirelix injections.
1 IVF, Surrogacy
How was your experience with Edward Tarnawa at Fertility Center of Dallas?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Edward Tarnawa at Fertility Center of Dallas?
I'd encourage any patient of any doctor to learn as much about their own situation as possible and ask any questions you have. Once you feel comfortable that you have all the information you need, trust Dr. Tarnawa to do the best he can to help you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Edward Tarnawa at Fertility Center of Dallas?
Describe the protocols Edward Tarnawa used in your cycles at Fertility Center of Dallas and their degree of success.
We did a freeze-all IVF cycle using Bravelle, Menopur, and Ganirelix injections. After egg retrieval, we did ICSI followed later by PGS testing of the embryos. This was all done because we were "unexplained" and didn't know where our problem was so we decided to do as much as we could to ensure this was the only retrieval cycle we'd have to do. When we did the frozen transfer I was on birth control, lupron injections, estrogen patches and PIO injections followed by suppositories. Our first and only cycle with Dr. Tarnawa was successful and resulted in the birth of our daughter.
The nursing staff was friendly and efficient. We typically saw the same person each time and she was always helpful in providing information or answering questions. The staff was small so sometimes things were a little rushed.
Describe your experience with Fertility Center of Dallas.
Dr. Tarnawa is no longer with this clinic so that is a weakness, but overall the clinic was good. It's relatively small so you see familiar faces each time, but that can also cause the staff to get backed up and rushed. The front desk staff and lab tech are all very friendly. The embryologist Dr. Zhang seems excellent and is helpful in answering any questions about your embryos.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Edward Tarnawa at Fertility Center of Dallas.
I don't recall specifics, but I believe that the total of everything from the egg retrieval, PGS, transfer, and medications came in around $25,000. We were completely out of pocket.
Fertility Center of Dallas
Dallas

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Edward Tarnawa at Fertility Center of Dallas.

Endometriosis, Male Factor, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Immunological, Unexplained
I felt like Dr. Tarnawa listened to our needs and wants and didn’t question our decisions. He also gave us honest suggestions but gave us the ability to choose our treatment...He was easy to communicate with and easily accessible as well. We lived 2 hours from his office and felt that he respected our time given the travel we had to put into our treatment. He answered our questions and respected our decision to agressively pursue pregnancy.
Don’t be afraid to tell him your concerns or be embarrassed of your goals. He will fulfill them for you.
Bloodwork, ovulation observation, examination, x-ray and opening of Fallopian tubes, clomid, HCG, IUI
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Karen)
Karen was amazing. She shared her own experiences with infertility with me which gave me hope and a true human connection. She is a beautiful person and helped me in so many ways that she will never know.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Beautiful office, clean, friendly staff. We always felt calm even though we were going through such a stressful time. We loved that they offered seminars and educational opportunities internally. Everyone was very compassionate there making it a very pleasant experience even when we were not in the best of spirits.
Our insurance did not cover infertility. The staff was wonderful about explaining the charges and had a nice “cash” fee discount
Columbia

[Dr. Edward Tarnawa is] down to earth, patient, kind, but also direct and to the point. I t would have been helpful to meet with the finance person and the doctor together since the decision of which course of action to take was affected by out of pocket cost...did a great job explaining all the scientific medical things in a way we could understand. He even drew pictures! It was so helpful....he presented my best case scenario and did not hide the pros and cons.
come with questions.
Dr. Tarnwa did a great job explaining all the scientific medical things in a way we could understand. He even drew pictures! It was so helpful.
he presented my best case scenario and did not hide the pros and cons.
very nice. One of them talked to me a little too much about her personal experience with pregnancy issues. In her situation she ended up pregnant. This was upsetting since I am not sure if I will ever get pregnant and here is a nurse trying to tell me that 'it will happen' since it happened for her.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Clean office!!!!! Polite, friendly and accommodating staff. They also have that new procedure called invo science. I was going to REACH in Charlotte first. When I found out they do not carry thiss ervice/procedure, i switched to PREG. They one of the few in the country that have it.
my insurance did not cover treatment so we paid out of pocket, However, their financial counselor provided us with all the alternative options.
Columbia

He [Dr. Edward Tarnawa] is such a genuine and understanding doctor. Very smart, he made us so confident about pregnancy which was something we had lost and thought never to be found again. He is the really deal. He will be the next big name in IVF treatment for the state of S.C... His knowledge and skill makes him good at what he does. Very intuitive and genuiley wants the same outcome as we do.
He is such a genuine and understanding doctor. Very smart, he made us so confident about pregnancy which was something we had lost and thought never to be found again. He is the really deal. He will be the next big name in IVF treatment for the state of S.C
Don’t waste your time going to anyone else but him. You won’t regret it.
His knowledge and skill makes him good at what he does. Very intuitive and genuiley wants the same outcome as we do. In my opinion, he will be the next big thing as IFV progresses, and will be sought out my many couples to come.
Great! Very well informed and always kept great contact.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Super nice and very warm and inviting for a situation all might not be comfortable with. From the check in to the check out they don’t miss a step. You are always informed and we sometimes felt we had the whole staff dedicated to us and only us, even though there were many other patients.