Medical SchoolPhiladelphia Coll of Osteo Med
ResidencyPhiladelphia Coll of Osteo Med
FellowshipPenn. Hospital and Thomas Jefferson Med
15955 SW 96th St
Miami, FL 33196
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Ellen Wood to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend IVFMD South Florida Institute For Reproductive Medicine to a friend?
4 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
We just completed our 1st IVF stim cycle with Dr. Wood. Due to my high risk of OHSS, she wanted to be very careful with my medications. We went in to the office for monitoring 13 days out of my 15 day stim cycle. We did Gonal-F, Menopur and Cetratide. For the first 9 days of the cycle I did 75 units each of Gonal-F and Menopur. Towards the end, they upped the Gonal-F to 150 and added 1 dose of Cetratide. This was taken every night between 7-9pm. On the days of our monitoring visits, we would go in at 7:30am for bloodwork and ultrasound. Then around 4pm each day, we would dial into the voicemail system for the notice about our medications for the evening. Originally, the plan was for us to come in every other day, but as they saw some concerning things on the ultrasound, Dr. Wood increased the frequency of our visits and started doing our ultrasounds herself.
Ashkenazi Jewish, Black or African-American
4 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
How was your experience with Ellen Wood at IVFMD South Florida Institute For Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Wood worked with us directly and made it clear what we needed to do in order to achieve our goals. She did not mince words and was very straightforward about the risks and benefits of our situation. We left that appointment very confident. When we were going through our Stim cycle, we did some of my monitoring ultrasounds personally and really made me feel like she was monitoring me closely.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ellen Wood at IVFMD South Florida Institute For Reproductive Medicine?
Make sure you come into the 1st consult with all of your records. Dr. Woods is very thorough and is going to go through every detail to make sure that she understands your case, but also that you know what you are in for.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ellen Wood at IVFMD South Florida Institute For Reproductive Medicine?
The office is very warm and friendly. The nurses remember you and speak to you like a member of the family. Dr. Wood was personally involved and discussed my treatment with me and even did 3 of my daily monitoring ultrasounds herself.
Describe the protocols Ellen Wood used in your cycles at IVFMD South Florida Institute For Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVFMD South Florida Institute For Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Belkis)
The nursing staff worked really hard to make sure that they answered all of my questions (and I had a lot) on every call. Belkis answered my voicemails and emails the same day, sometimes within the hour.
Describe your experience with IVFMD South Florida Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
Clinic Strengths: - Really caring medical staff - Lots of communication - Doctors know what they are doing Clinic Weaknesses: - Financial team seems to try to find something new to charge you for every visit. However, if you keep copies of your receipts and contracts, you will be fine. Hold your own and be your own advocate and you will be fine. - If your appointment is at 7:30am, do not plan on being seen before 8:00am. It will not happen.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ellen Wood at IVFMD South Florida Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
Simplified plan with PGS and FET - $22,828.50 Genetic Testing - $500 Semen Analysis - $400 Donor Thaw Fee - $150 "Natural Killer Cell" blood work - $300
Describe Ellen Wood's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at IVFMD South Florida Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
Dr. Wood let us know in our first visit with her that in our case, she would strongly recommend that we do the FET with PGS testing and implant a single embryo.
What specific things went wrong at IVFMD South Florida Institute For Reproductive Medicine?
Hollywood
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr Wood's has great knowledge base, as of matter of fact her nick name is the "encyclopedia "...Endometrial scratch prior and treated emdometritis with 3 weeks antibiotics prior to FET, transferred 2 embryos. One took, positive beta, currently 29 weeks!...She is also willing to try newer treatment options...She is up to date with the new studies. She also thinks outside the box which is so important in infertility treatment.
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr Wood's has great knowledge base, as of matter of fact her nick name is the "encyclopedia ". She is up to date with the new studies. She also thinks outside the box which is so important in infertility treatment. She is also willing to try newer treatment options unlike some other physicians that would only do for example day 5 transfer. I would highly recommend her.
Do your research and ask lots of questions. While you are going through infertility treatment, you need to be your own advocate
Anytime I would not get an answer from nurses or needed to confirm Dr Wood was available to answer the questions or clarify ( via email )
Cycle 1- pqq and coq10 supplementation 2 month prior to cycle,antagonist cycle, prime with bcp, gonal, menopur, cetrotide, trigger with pregnyl and Lupron, 45 retrieved ,26 mature,9 fertilized with icsi, by day 3 all 20-30 % fragmentation, none made it past day 3, no transfer. Cycle 2-mini ivf with famera and Follistim, human growth hormone, icsi, calcium ionophore, additional supplementation with metformin and myo-inositol, 3 follicles prior to retrieval, ovulated 2 prior to retrival, 1 retrieved , fresh day 3 transfer- negative results Cycle 3- long luteal Lupron, with human growth hormone, follistim, growth hormone, steroid, lupron, menopur. 25 retrieved, 16 mature, 6 fertilized with icsi and calcium ionophore, 3 made it to day 3 with 10-15% fragmentation, froze 2 day 3 and let the 3 one grow in lab. The third one did not grow. Endometrial scratch prior and treated emdometritis with 3 weeks antibiotics prior to FET, transferred 2 embryos. One took, positive beta, currently 29 weeks!
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVFMD South Florida Institute For Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Yes, was not a fan of my assigned nurse, but loved Belkis who filled in for the nurse! )
Did not like my nurse, but Belkis who was a coordinator was excellent, organized and responsible, other staff and nurses were nice
Ask for alternative pricing package. Possible discounts available if paying out of pocket. Keep papers and document for future reference. Be your own advocate!
Around 55,0000-60,000
We transferred the only embryos left.
Miami
I felt she [Dr. Wood] was very optimistic when she suggested that at the age of 42 we should try: three attempts at timed intercourse with meds, one attempt at IUI and if no results, we try IVF. I think, we should have tried IVF from the start, since my AMH numbers were extremely low from the start. This would have saved us time and thousands of dollars...We had three attempts of timed intercourse with meds, one attempt at IUI and two attempts of IVF. The first attempt at IVF was canceled due to the medical staff not preparing me for retrieval on time (I ovulated) . On the second attempt at IVF, 4 ova were retrieved, two of which were fertilized and only one egg was transferred).
I was referred to Dr. Wood from a friend who had a successful first try at IVF. From our first consultation, I felt she was very optimistic when she suggested that at the age of 42 we should try: three attempts at timed intercourse with meds, one attempt at IUI and if no results, we try IVF. I think, we should have tried IVF from the start, since my AMH numbers were extremely low from the start. This would have saved us time and thousands of dollars.
Do your research before seeing any fertility doctor. When seeing Dr. Wood, ask many questions about how effective does her office staff communicate with patients. If something does not feel right, trust your gut and quickly get a second or even third opinion from another fertility doctor.
Would have preferred to have had better communication with the nurses and the doctor. When a couple is paying thousands of dollars for treatment, you want to work with clinic staff members who can answer all your questions without feeling as if you are a "bother" (or a number).
At times, it felt that the nurses were overwhelmed treating so many patients. Most phone calls were returned at the end of the work day. If I asked for clarification, I would sometimes hear it in their voice how stressed out they were with my questions. In person, while at the clinic they did make the effort to answer my questions and give me support when needed.
The office provides flexibility of working hours. I was able to get the appointment times I needed to do tests and procedures before going to work. They offer many office locations. They have Saturday hours and open on Sunday as needed. The wait time is reasonable. Communication among nurses and staff can be better.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at IVFMD South Florida Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
The hours for monitoring appointments were fine.
IVF package treatment $16,000. IVF Meds/injections both attempts approximately ~$5,000 (~$10,000).
This did not apply to me, since only one egg was transferred of two that were fertilized.
Miami
We spoke [with Dr. Ellen Wood] in detail for a good length of time. She never rushed us out of her office... Dr. Wood has been a light for us through this almost 10 year journey. She is HIGHLY recommended. She got me answers I didn't even know I was looking for...She took a different approach to medicine than all of the other physicians I had seen before her. she also confirmed that I was on the completely wrong treatment for what I was trying to accomplish
She took a different approach to medicine than all of the other physicians I had seen before her. she also confirmed that I was on the completely wrong treatment for what I was trying to accomplish, and the doctor who put me on it has been in the field for 30+ years (what a relief). She busted all of the myths I knew or heard. She was simply amazing. I just wish I had the money to move forward with treatment.
Be prepared to be blown away. I was so happy I chose her as a second opinion. so many people I know have seen her or others in her practice and absolutely love her and so did I! Her knowledge and DO approach to medicine is what got me.
She is so informative and knowledgeable. She took the time to answer all of my questions in all aspects. She listened very well. She made a lot of my fears go away. Even though she has never walked in my shoes, it felt like she had.
She wanted to weigh out all options. Plenty of Testing! She also made sure I was aware of all of my options. what could happen or not happen. What could be wrong or not be wrong. We spoke in detail for a good length of time. She never rushed us out of her office. We have an amazing plan, but unfortunately for us the real issue is insurance and money. Dr. Wood has been a light for us through this almost 10 year journey. She is HIGHLY recommended. She got me answers I didn't even know I was looking for.
Amazing! No matter how many times I call, they always work me in when I need to get in, especially emergencies. Never give any attitude. it is like they have all walked in my shoes. They know how delicate this journey is and respect it.
Nothing at all, Just go! You won't regret it! Beautiful, Clean, up to date office, amazing staff, WONDERFUL doctor!
Whatever they could not get covered under insurance. They went the extra mile to try and get it covered by insurance. They also were very flexible with other options and payment plans for procedures and testing.
2013
She [Dr. Ellen Wood] looked at my history and tested me for every possible issue and through every possible treatment to get me pregnant. She made sure that SHE was the one who did my transfer and validated my concerns and desires and spent lots of time walking us through everything I wanted done and everything she wanted to do, detailing the specific research related to each medicine and treatment.
2013
I first saw Dr Wood while I was under the care of another doctor at another clinic who refused to do the specific testing I wanted. Dr Wood had been recommended to me by another of her patients I had "met" online. She did the testing and clearly explained the results. I had purchased a plan for 2 retrievals, 2 fresh transfers and up to 2 frozen transfers at another clinic so I returned to that doctor to utilize the treatments already paid for. That doctor refused to utilize the test results I received from Dr Wood, and the subsequent treatments all failed. I returned to Dr Wood for one last ER/ET before ending our journey. She met with my husband and I and we spoke at length about everything we had gone through and we worked out a plan together. We agreed to spend 3 months recovering from prior treatment and preparing my body with specific supplements and vitamins as well as regular exercise and stress reduction. The staff at the clinic was always professional and kind with no drama! Dr Wood's head nurse was amazing and made sure I always had everything I needed to make the cycle run smoothly. Throughout the stimming and monitoring, I seemed to have a lower response to the meds than I had during my previous 4 stim cycles, but Dr Wood assured me- all was good. At the retrieval we got 12 eggs and she did a 6 day transfer to make sure that she was able to be there. I had 2 excellent blasts and 1 poor quality blast. She recommended we transfer the 2 excellent ones. A little less than two weeks later, we got our positive beta and everything went perfectly from there. Dr Wood continued to monitor my pregnancy through 8 weeks and did some specialized blood work through 12 weeks. The following June, we welcomed our miracle babies. Those 2 excellent blasts turned into our twins. Dr Woods was the perfect mix of caring and down to business. I could not recommend her and her clinic more.
Go now!!
She looked at my history and tested me for every possible issue and through every possible treatment to get me pregnant. She made sure that SHE was the one who did my transfer and validated my concerns and desires and spent lots of time walking us through everything I wanted done and everything she wanted to do, detailing the specific research related to each medicine and treatment. She was our miracle worker and my only regret is that I wish we went to her first!
Intralipids infusions, lovenox injections, scratch biopsy the cycle before my retrieval/transfer cycle, 4th generation folate/special, injectable medications, & acupuncture.
Excellent
Strengths: Multiple locations, professional, compassionate, clean, orderly, calm environment, top technology, outside the box thinkers, treat each patient as individuals versus following the same protocol for everyone. Weakness for me was simply that the location nearest to me was a bit farther than I would have liked to have had to travel to.
I felt like the costs were in line with the industry if not a bit under the average.
Hollywood
2012 - 2013
She [Dr. Ellen Wood] was outstanding. She supplied me with facts and statistics when discussing our plan. She showed compassion and support. We had a successful first round of IUI which unfortunately led to a late miscarriage at 21 weeks. When we returned to the clinic she was understanding and very thorough and performed a whole slew of additional testing before we began another cycle to ensure medically everything was ok. When we did our second round of IUI we actually had 3 eggs fertilize and with her her support and monitoring we made it to 10 weeks before we lost 1 sac. She really was beyond words outstanding when we had that ultrasound and just all around positive experience.
2012 - 2013
She was outstanding. She supplied me with facts and statistics when discussing our plan. She showed compassion and support. We had a successful first round of IUI which unfortunately led to a late miscarriage at 21 weeks. When we returned to the clinic she was understanding and very thorough and performed a whole slew of additional testing before we began another cycle to ensure medically everything was ok. When we did our second round of IUI we actually had 3 eggs fertilize and with her her support and monitoring we made it to 10 weeks before we lost 1 sac. She really was beyond words outstanding when we had that ultrasound and just all around positive experience.
Go in prepared with questions and dont be upset when she tells you her honest professional opinion
She spoke to our individual problems. Told me that with the results my husband had we had 3 tries with IUI than only alternative would be IVF. She didn't give me false hope either time.
I dont recall the specifics -it's been over 4 years
Always sweet and supportive.
I do remember that every day there was at least 1 clinic open with a doctor. Appointments were always easy to make and convienent for whatever procedure we were doing. I cant recall an specific weakness or negative experience we had at the pembroke Pines office of the south Miami ofice.
I believe our IUI cycles were under $1000 plus medications -my insurance covered the necessary medication so we just had to pay co pays and the IUI fee.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Other
She [Dr. Ellen Wood] is a very knowledgeable doctor, she goes straight to the point and is very honest about possible outcomes. She is very receptive to questions or options you can bring as a patient and answer your questions pretty well... First cycle: Gonal F and Cetrotide, poor response mainly bc I had a lead follicle that grew faster and let the others behind. Only 3 eggs retrieved, 2 fertilized and transferred, negative Beta :-( Second cycle: Follistim + lupron + Ovidrel, better response in terms of quality but terrible results on quality. 8 eggs retrieved, only 3 fertilized and 2 transferred, negative Beta :-(
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Other
She is a very knowledgeable doctor, she goes straight to the point and is very honest about possible outcomes. She is very receptive to questions or options you can bring as a patient and answer your questions pretty well.
She is still compassionate however she doesn't sugarcoat anything, so sometimes she could say something that you don't want to hear but it is maybe a fact about your age, condition, etc.
The clinic is ok, very good lab, good customer sevice in the satellite office I went. I had a bad experience with two nurses in my retrievals in the main facility, one had a bad attitude and the other pinched a nerve in my arm trying to place the IV for anesthesia
25k to 30k