Medical SchoolLoyola U.
St. Louis Mo Bapt
3023 N. Ballas Road
St. Louis, MO 63131
314-286-2400
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Emily Jungheim to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Washington University School of Medicine to a friend?
Dr. Jungheim was very friendly and explained everything to me in terms I could understand. She even drew pictures to explain various steps. Before meeting with her, she reviewed my file very thoroughly and didn't offer any procedure she didn't think I would need...She is very understanding and will answer any of your questions without reservation....A different doctor did my retrieval and transfer because they work as a team....
How was your experience with Emily Jungheim at Washington University School of Medicine?
Dr. Jungheim was very friendly and explained everything to me in terms I could understand. She even drew pictures to explain various steps. Before meeting with her, she reviewed my file very thoroughly and didn't offer any procedure she didn't think I would need considering I had been through so much before going to this specific clinic.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Emily Jungheim at Washington University School of Medicine?
Know that you work with all doctors and not with just the one you see the first time. A different doctor did my retrieval and transfer because they work as a team. She is very understanding and will answer any of your questions without reservation.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Emily Jungheim at Washington University School of Medicine?
The doctors and nurses were always wonderful. The front desk staff was unfriendly and very unwelcoming. They never even greeted you with a "Good Morning" to ease your anxiety.
Describe the protocols Emily Jungheim used in your cycles at Washington University School of Medicine and their degree of success.
I was on the long agonist protocol. I started Dec. 24 with my first shot and triggered Jan. 14. I started taking all 3 shots by Dec. 31 I believe. I felt bloated at times and had one headache, but overall I wasn't miserable. I am currently in the TWW so I don't have results.
They were very understanding, great listeners, could compassionate, understanding, and informative. I never felt that I couldn't ask them something. They even handled my one complaint with instructions for the POU shot well and were interested in what I found helpful.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The only weakness is the front desk staff. Although they are timely, they are just very cold. Once you get past the waiting area it becomes a great experience and everyone calms your nerves. The introduction session was amazing and very informative!
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Washington University School of Medicine.
It was efficient and I loved that they were first thing in the morning so I could still make it to work on time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Emily Jungheim at Washington University School of Medicine.
$325 just for the initial appointment consultation. $130 for the trial embryo transfer.... Those are the only two bills I remember the amounts of.
Describe Emily Jungheim's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Washington University School of Medicine.
I felt rushed in this decision. We were thinking initially that it would be a single embryo, and when I went in for my egg retrieval and saw a different doctor, he said he was worried there is a cause other than my endometriosis and would recommend ICSI just to increase our chances of being successful this first round. At transfer and showed me two embryos and said the 3 wasn't looking good and probably wouldn't freeze. He said of the two was was a really good 7 cell and the other was a 6 cell but it appeared the cells were starting to merge so he wasn't as sure of it. Using the amendment logic he had with retrieval, and not wanting to live with regrets, we went with 2.
St. Louis CWE
Each time I met with her, she [Dr. Emily Junheim] talked with me and explained things very thoroughly. She did not stare at my file or computer but came prepared to our appointments knowing exactly what was going on.... We started with ultrasounds, HSG, and blood work. After that it was determined I wasn't ovulating consistently. (I had also previously had surgery to remove cyst, ovary, and Fallopian tube. I had also previously been diagnosed with endometriosis). We did 3 rounds of Letrozole and IUI. All 3 resulted in negative pregnancy tests. We are now in the process of beginning IVF.
Again, I appreciate the time she took to explain treatments to me. She came to the appointments prepared. I also appreciated that she called me after my 3rd IUI (I wasn't even home yet) to touch base.
I would tell them to recognize that this is a practice and not a single doctor clinic. You may not see Dr. Jungheim for the procedures but they want to do things on each patient's time table and not the doctor's.
Each time I met with her, she talked with me and explained things very thoroughly. She did not stare at my file or computer but came prepared to our appointments knowing exactly what was going on.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Nikki)
I have just started communicating with her more with our upcoming IVF. She called and explained the entire process to me again, let me know what we needed to be done before we could begin, and gave suggestions on what could be helpful. They are very quick to return phone calls after I leave messages.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Everyone that I have encountered has been very kind, friendly, and helpful. Be prepared to see different faces if you go in different days and times and know you will not always see your doctor for procedures. Regardless, everyone has been great and good to work with.
IUIs have ran around $500. The IVF quote including medicine is roughly $14,000
St. Louis CWE
Dr. Jungheim was warm and seemed so invested in our story. She would take the time (sometimes over an hour) to meet with us and talk us through every detail of the procedures and possible outcomes...Dr. Jungheim was honest and forthright about the research that is out there and the research that has yet to be done. She approaches treatment from an evidence based perspective, which is important to me. And she was honest. If I asked a question to which there wasn't any good research out there to provide an answer, she would tell me so...She even pointed me to the original research articles, so I could read them myself...
Dr. Jungheim has the exact bedside manner that I love. She is warm, friendly, compassionate, and deeply caring. Also, as a scientist, I wanted to know the research that exists about treatment options, and Dr. Jungheim was honest and forthright about the research that is out there and the research that has yet to be done. She approaches treatment from an evidence based perspective, which is important to me. And she was honest. If I asked a question to which there wasn't any good research out there to provide an answer, she would tell me so. When there was truly no way to know the biological reason our first IVF cycle didn't work, she was honest about that and told me so. I hear stories of other doctors telling patients guesses as to why things worked a certain way, when there is actually no real way for them to know. Some patients find comfort in that, but that is not what I want. I want a doctor who does not have inflated confidence about what they know, and is informed about the actual research to give me that information. She even pointed me to the original research articles, so I could read them myself. Dr. Jungheim is fantastic. If I move away from St. Louis and need to do IVF again, I plan to go back to her!
Don't be afraid to ask a lot of questions. She will take the time for you.
Dr. Jungheim was warm and seemed so invested in our story. She would take the time (sometimes over an hour) to meet with us and talk us through every detail of the procedures and possible outcomes The staff at the clinic were also very nice and friendly and would clearly remember me. I got to know some of the staff pretty well and we would chat about my work and their lives.
We have unexplained infertility, which led us to start with IUI. When that didn't work, we moved on to IVF. My first cycle was an antagonist protocol, which was chosen for several reasons. One is that it is one of the most successful protocols for unexplained infertility in my age group at this clinic. Another is that I had a huge needle phobia, and this protocol involves fewer injections compared to the other option she would consider. We also did what they call "partial" ICSI. Since there were no known male factor issues or egg quality issues for us, the clinic used ICSI on half of my eggs in order to test the fertilization rate for ICSI vs. not. It turned out that the fertilization rate was equal, so it didn't seem that ICSI was truly necessary for us. Many clinics automatically do ICSI no matter what, however, there are some small risks of doing ICSI if you don't need to. So, this partial ICSI approach is like an experiment to see if I needed it, which would be useful for future decisions if this cycle didn't work. Then, the clinic watches the embryos and makes a decision on day 3 as to whether to do a day 3 or day 5 transfer of 1 or 2 embryos. They have certain criteria that they want to meet in order to push the transfer to day 5. I did not meet that criteria, so we transferred 2 embryos on day 3. Unfortunately, this cycle failed. The second cycle chosen was a long agonist protocol with Lupron. I also inquired about an endometrial scratch test. Dr. Jungheim told me that the evidence for the scratch is strictly correlational right now, but promising. In fact, the clinic was conducting a clinical trial to test the efficacy of the scratch at that time. Dr. Jungheim told me that if I wanted to do the scratch, I certainly could. So, I did. Ouchie. Then, we did not use ICSI this cycle given the fertilization rate of the previous cycle. And we had the same rate of fertilization. Again, the embryos did not meet criteria for a day 5 transfer, so we transferred 2 embryos on day 3. This cycle worked!!! We now have a 7.5 month old son, who is the light of our lives.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Lori, but I think she is gone now)
I did not love my nurse. But I am pretty sure she is not there anymore. And I have heard that the new nurse is great.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
This clinic uses a team approach. So, Dr. Jungheim was my primary doctor who I met with for consultations and corresponded with about my treatment plan and results. But, she was not the doctor who performed the embryo retrieval and transfer. Instead, it is the doctor who is on call for that week who performs the procedures. I had Dr. Ratts and Dr. Odem and they were both great. So, if you are comfortable with that type of approach, this would work for you. The thing I like about it is that you effectively get 5 second opinions because the team meets every week to discuss their patients and make decisions. After my first IVF cycle failed, they met to discuss the next steps for me. I liked knowing that I was getting 5 opinions in addition to Dr. Jungheim's.
I conveniently could do monitoring appointments right before work. It operated well. Sometimes I wouldn't have to wait at all, sometimes I'd have to wait 10 minutes. The techs who did the monitoring were great.
Each IUI cost $400, and each round of IVF cost ~$15,000
The Washington University clinic as a whole wants to avoid multiples while maximizing live births. So they make decisions about the number of embryos to transfer based on each individual case, and I think they make very good decisions. We transferred 2 embryos and ended up with a singleton pregnancy, so I am very glad we didn't transfer 1.
Anovulation, Unexplained
She [Dr Emily Jungheim] met with my husband and I when it was truly needed, she suggested aggressive treatment that she believed was most necessary to achieve our intended results, and she made personal calls to me to check on my physical, emotional and mental well-being. I truly feel like she cares about me...Be prepared to hear the good and bad of what to expect during the infertility treatment process, which is exactly what I prefer to hear from a physician.
Anovulation, Unexplained
She is compassionate and caring. She is knowledgeable and takes time to explain potential advantages and disadvantages and is honest. I wanted a doctor who would play it straight and let us know what they truly thought of our chances of conceiving as well as one that would work with my husband and I to achieve our goals. I strongly feel that Dr. Jungheim has done just that. She has exceeded my expectations.
She met with my husband and I when it was truly needed, she suggested aggressive treatment that she believed was most necessary to achieve our intended results, and she made personal calls to me to check on my physical, emotional and mental well-being. I truly feel like she cares about me.
We did a few cycles using only fertility medications, because we wanted to see if we could conceive with as little medical intervention as possible. When that was unsuccessful, we moved on to IUI, knowing that our chances of conceiving with this ,ethos was only slightly better than naturally. Out 2 IUI cycles were unsuccessful. Then we decided to move on to IVF. The clinic holds an orientation which is very informative. We went into the process feeling like we had a good idea of what to expect. Our fresh cycle was not successful, so Dr. Jungheim encouraged us to try another cycle using frozen embryos and so far it has been successful and we couldn't be more thrilled.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Lori)
We started with Lori, with whom we felt like we developed a personal and caring relationship with. However, Lori recently moved away and we have now been working with Kathy, who has also been fantastic so far.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
They are very easy to get in touch with, respond quickly and always make you feel welcomed in what can be very awkward circumstances.
The process is efficient and flexible. They are very willing to work with your schedule and offer a range of available times to fit better with your personal needs.
I am unsure, as I was fortunate enough to have the majority of my treat,nets covered by my insurance policy.
2014 - 2017
Dr Jungheim was nice but kept pushing IVF as an only option for my treatment. She only wanted to do 3 IUIs and move on to IVF. I really felt like there were other options for me that were less expensive. Also i didnt like the fact the nurses did the IUIs and not the doctor...When i first saw her we did 3 rounds of clomid and tried timing intercourse...Feb 2017 took femara again started monitoring with US. Did US too late and missed ovulation. No IUI performed.
2014 - 2017
When i first saw her we did 3 rounds of clomid and tried timing intercourse. Then jan 2017 started femara preparing for IUI and told me to take OPKs starting day 10. Took them through day 20 and no positive test. They did an US and confirmed ovulation. No IUI performed. Feb 2017 took femara again started monitoring with US. Did US too late and missed ovulation. No IUI performed. March 2017 took femara got ovulation and IUI completed. Negative pregnancy test May 2017 took femara got ovulation and IUI completed. Negative pregnancy test. Contacted her in July 2017 and suggested that maybe my progesterone was too low and asked for her to take blood work throughout my cycle and she refused. That is when i decided to leave her practice and seek help elsewhere.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
I honestly do not have a lot to say about this office. Everyone was professional but definitely did not get any warm and fuzzy feelings from them. The techs that drew blood were always very nice and very good at their job
I had a $10k benefit towards Wash U doctors so i had insurance coverage i only had a $50 copay for each of the 2 IUIs that were performed.
St. Louis CWE
Dr Jungheim is very helpful and was extremely comforting while dealing with my many miscarriages as well as a complication during my ivf cycle. She checked up on me numerous times and has remained positive and very supportive... Don't spend too long doing IUI before moving to IVF. Dr Jungheim encouraged me to move to IVF but was supportive when I wasn't ready. I now wish I had moved on sooner.
Dr Jungheim is very caring and cares for me personally.
We did clomid and IUI for several cycles. Then we did a long agonist cycle starting with a month of oral contraceptives then adding Lupron, gonal F and menopur. That cycle resulted in a miscarriage. I now am undergoing a frozen embryo transfer cycle with estrogen and progesterone.
Nikki is great and regularly calls me to communicate follow up and next steps in the process. She was also very nice when I was going through my miscarriages.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The clinic is nice and easy to access in terms of location and parking. The front desk staff are nice and helpful. They were also very supportive and kind when I was dealing with a lost.
I paid 383$ for each IUI cycle. We paid a total of around $12 k for our IVF cycle with an additional $4k for prescriptions. We have no IVF or infertility coverage.
She prefers and counsels in favor of elective single embryo transfer in my age group but is very receptive to whatever the patient wants to do.
3 IUI, IVF
Dr. Jungheim is incredibly warm and very thorough and scientific in her treatment planning and recommendations. I would wholeheartedly recommend her to a friend. She maintained a positive but realistic attitude throughout the process.... Each time we met with Dr. Jungheim, she took all the time we needed to answer our questions and provide us with more information on the treatments she was recommending.
3 IUI, IVF
Dr. Jungheim diagnosed me with unexplained infertility. She was not able to pinpoint any specific issues in either my partner nor I. I completed 3 Clomid+IUI cycles with Dr. Jungheim, all of which resulted in negative pregnancy tests. Dr. Jungheim then recommended we swiftly move on to IVF, rather than doing more IUI cycles, given that this is shown to get patients pregnant faster and for less cost overall than doing more IUI cycles.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
This Washington University clinic has the very best physicians, and I have been extremely impressed by the nursing staff as well. The one improvement I feel could be made is to the front desk staff who can be a bit gruff.
Dr. Jungheim has a strong preference for eSET.
PCOS, Tubal Blockage
...no one went over risks of the surgery with us. I was never told that my risk for an ectopic pregnancy was increased. We managed to get pregnant naturally the month of the surgery, but it was ectopic. This surgery is my biggest regret through this entire infertility nightmare.
PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Jungheim is very friendly and intelligent. I trust her, but had to leave the office due to a major loss of trust with the office.
Dr. Jungheim is very nice and friendly, but not always very available.
It was very hard to reach anyone to talk to on the phone, I often had to wait an entire day, or 2-3 days, to receive a phone call back. They misplaced my blood work for several days (which may have revealed an ectopic pregnancy sooner).
Dr. Jungheim was out of town when I started my period. The previous month we had discussed possibly having a surgery to unblock my tube. The office handled setting up the surgery, but no one went over risks of the surgery with us. I was never told that my risk for an ectopic pregnancy was increased. We managed to get pregnant naturally the month of the surgery, but it was ectopic. This surgery is my biggest regret through this entire infertility nightmare.
It took at least entire days, if not 2-3 days to hear back from nursing. My blood work was lost for several days.
The surgery recommended by her, but not fully explained to us, was not covered by insurance. Nothing was covered by insurance, including when I was pregnant (ectopic). I believe their billing was incorrect.
St. Louis CWE
Dr. Jungheim made sure to explain everything to us. When a cycle failed, she showed us complete compassion and understood our concerns. She made sure she addressed any concerns we had and answered every question. She is kind and trustworthy!... Everyone at the office listens to any concerns I have and answers questions without hesitation. They take their time in explaining everything and make sure I am comfortable and understand. I've never been treated with so much care and compassion by any doctor's office like I have at Wash U!
Address any questions or concerns you have
The nurse always made sure she got back to me in a timely manner. She answered any questions I had and if she wasn't sure, she made sure to ask Dr. Jungheim and then she got back to me immediately. She is always very kind, calm, and patient. She showed us nothing but compassion through the whole process!
2013 - 2015
Dr. Jungheim is an incredible doctor. She treats her patients and their spouse with respect and compassion. She does not overpromise but offers enough encouraging words that, as a patient, you know that she is deeply invested in the outcome....I never felt rushed. I felt that the doctor truly understood - and had compassion for - the emotional toll this experience took on a person. We were never pressured to make a decision. Just given the facts and encouraged to make a personal choice at every turn.
2013 - 2015
You will not regret your choice!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Andrea)
The nursing staff - Karen for blood work (retired now) and Tracy for ultrasounds - was some of the best I have ever seen.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The clinic is very clean and organized. My one even slightly negative comment would be the front desk had frequent turnover.
$15,000 all in; Our insurance covered $10,000