5.6

3023 N. Ballas Road
St. Louis, MO 63131
314-286-2400

Embryo Freezing
Dr. Jungheim constantly has our best interest at heart. You can tell she genuinely cares about my husband and I's struggle with infertility and she is constantly finding ways/different options for us to make it possible to have a baby...She has personally called me before, spending 30+ minutes on the phone, talking about diagnoses and the treatment plan from there...personally called our insurance company and fought with them explaining why this step in the IVF process is medically necessary for my husband and I
They sometimes offer drinks [at Washington University School of Medicine] while we wait, if it is going to be a a while. The office, patient rooms, and labs are all very clean. The front desk women are always very nice and courteous. I cannot think of a weakness, unless some want to count the occasional phone call missed or the clinic running behind, but again, they always update us and things happen.
How was your experience with Emily Jungheim at Washington University School of Medicine?
Dr. Jungheim cares for her patients. She has personally called me before, spending 30+ minutes on the phone, talking about diagnoses and the treatment plan from there. She makes me feel like she cares about me and my need to have a baby. My husband and I are both CF carriers, so we determined, along with Dr. Jungheim that PGD/PGS would have to be done to ensure that the CF gene is not passed along to our children. Long story short, insurance DENIED the PGD/PGS, however Dr. Jungheim personally called our insurance company and fought with them explaining why this step in the IVF process is medically necessary for my husband and I, to only have my insure company approve it. I strongly believe Dr. Jungheim would do this for any of her patients and I know that she cares for me.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Emily Jungheim at Washington University School of Medicine?
See her, if you are facing infertility. She will not only figure out the best course of treatment for you, but will fight for you, until she finds something that will work. She is constantly willing to think of new ways to help my husband and I and she explains everything, in and out, regardless of how long it takes. There is never a rush with her, while she is talking to me, and that makes me feel so important.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Emily Jungheim at Washington University School of Medicine?
Describe the protocols Emily Jungheim used in your cycles at Washington University School of Medicine and their degree of success.
First, Dr. Jungheim felt it to be necessary to get a genetic screening on me, as my husband was already a known CF carrier. We all thought nothing of it, that I would be fine, but the screening did also say I was a CF carrier as well. Dr. Jungheim is the one to make that call, and I can't think her enough for it, as we could have passed that disease along and it would've been awful. So, we are currently in the middle of the PGD/PGS development. We spoke with Dr. Jungheim about 3 weeks ago, regarding the details, as we cannot proceed with any cycles until we get confirmation that the development was complete, however it could be at anytime now. So, she put me on birth control at that time. This will help knowing right where I am in my cycle, so we are able to start/stop things if needed right away. She also put me on a prenatal vitamin just to help get my body ready. Once the development of the PGD/PGS is confirmed, I will start my medication for stimulation. cannot remember exactly which ones I will be on, but I know she said roughly I will be on meds for about 14 days before the egg retrieval. From there, the embryos will be made and grow for 6 days. At that time, the surviving embryos will be biopsied and frozen. The biopsies themselves will be sent to the company for the PGD/PGS and we will wait about 2 weeks to hear if any of those embryos are medically clear for transfer. If there are more than 1, we will keep them frozen, as we are only implanting one.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kate, Melanie)
All of the nursing staff at the office is great. They are usually very quick on calling back, to answer questions. My clinic also has an online patient portal, and if I get impatient, I also write them via the portal, and they are also quick to respond on that as well. They are all very sweet, and just like Dr. Jungheim, I can tell that they care for the patients.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
They are always on time, and if they rent, they are sure to update me and apologize. They sometimes offer drinks while we wait, if it is going to be a a while. The office, patient rooms, and labs are all very clean. The front desk women are always very nice and courteous. I cannot think of a weakness, unless some want to count the occasional phone call missed or the clinic running behind, but again, they always update us and things happen.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Emily Jungheim at Washington University School of Medicine.
I am still in the procees, so no bills have come to us yet. I have had a Saline Sonogram, which the bill was around $2,000, but I only had to pay $35 after inuracne. I do know that the PGD/PGS development will cost around $6,000, meds will cost anywhere between $3,500-$4,500 and the IVF procedures themselves which also have to include ICSI, freezing of the embryos, etc will be about $10,000, if not more.
Describe Emily Jungheim's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Washington University School of Medicine.
Dr. Jungheim, and the rest of her clinic, are very reluctant on transferring multiple embryos. Of course, it depends on the mothers age, and other health concerns, but for me, Dr. Jungheim explained that I am otherwise healthy and also with my husband and I having to go through PGD/PDS, there is a high likelyhood that the one embryo that we implant, will take. I fully trust herin this. Dr. Jugheim explained, that transferring 2 embryos does not necessarily increase the risk of pregnancy, as if one embryo wants to take, it'll take, but transferring two embryos does increase the chance for multiples, which then becomes high risk.
St. Louis - Central West End

We tried IUI first, using Menopur. We started out slow because she didn’t know how quickly my body was going to react. We ended up using menopur for 26 days & then did the IUI with the nurse. The IUI did not work, so we moved on to IVF. Her plan is to use Menopur again but at a faster rate. Around 10 days & then do the egg retrieval, we will be starting this process in a few weeks.
The clinic [Wash U] is great, very clean and well equipped. The only thing that bugs me is that it is hard to get ahold of the clinic. You have to call the nurse & leave a message before you can get ahold of anyone. There is also the portal that is cool, but sometimes it takes 1 or 2 days for someone to respond.... Melanie is awesome, very caring & helpful throughout the process. She kept you calm and hopeful.
She was very sweet & caring yet had the experience that we were looking for with my condition. We also liked how she remembered us and everything we have done so far and helped us develop a plan for what the next step was, the only thing I was upset about was that we were doing IUI & she had us not take the next round of menopur because she was afraid of multiples but in exchange the follicles were not big enough to actually successfully fertilize. The IUI did not work. Overall she is a great doctor & I would refer anyone to her services.
Speak up to your wishes, they try to get everyone to do genetic testing but that often adds on a lot of money. If you are not interested in it, just simply tell them that you are not doing it.
She cared for my case specifically for my needs, I’ve been to other clinics that made us feel like a number but with Jungheim we felt like she is doing what is best for us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Melanie )
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The clinic is great, very clean and well equipped. The only thing that bugs me is that it is hard to get ahold of the clinic. You have to call the nurse & leave a message before you can get ahold of anyone. There is also the portal that is cool, but sometimes it takes 1 or 2 days for someone to respond.
40 copay to see dr. 40 copay to see gen. Counseling Blood test billed $12000 ivf $500 for iui $4000-$5000 for menopur IUI/IVF $100 for trigger shot
St. Louis - Central West End

She [Dr Emily Jungheim] met with my husband and I when it was truly needed, she suggested aggressive treatment that she believed was most necessary to achieve our intended results, and she made personal calls to me to check on my physical, emotional and mental well-being. I truly feel like she cares about me...Be prepared to hear the good and bad of what to expect during the infertility treatment process, which is exactly what I prefer to hear from a physician.
They [staff at Wash U Fertility] are very easy to get in touch with, respond quickly and always make you feel welcomed in what can be very awkward circumstances...We started with Lori, with whom we felt like we developed a personal and caring relationship with. However, Lori recently moved away and we have now been working with Kathy, who has also been fantastic so far....She [Dr. Jungheim] is compassionate and caring. She is knowledgeable and takes time to explain potential advantages and disadvantages and is honest. I wanted a doctor who would play it straight and let us know what they truly thought of our chances of conceiving as we
She is compassionate and caring. She is knowledgeable and takes time to explain potential advantages and disadvantages and is honest. I wanted a doctor who would play it straight and let us know what they truly thought of our chances of conceiving as well as one that would work with my husband and I to achieve our goals. I strongly feel that Dr. Jungheim has done just that. She has exceeded my expectations.
She met with my husband and I when it was truly needed, she suggested aggressive treatment that she believed was most necessary to achieve our intended results, and she made personal calls to me to check on my physical, emotional and mental well-being. I truly feel like she cares about me.
We did a few cycles using only fertility medications, because we wanted to see if we could conceive with as little medical intervention as possible. When that was unsuccessful, we moved on to IUI, knowing that our chances of conceiving with this ,ethos was only slightly better than naturally. Out 2 IUI cycles were unsuccessful. Then we decided to move on to IVF. The clinic holds an orientation which is very informative. We went into the process feeling like we had a good idea of what to expect. Our fresh cycle was not successful, so Dr. Jungheim encouraged us to try another cycle using frozen embryos and so far it has been successful and we couldn't be more thrilled.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Lori)
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
They are very easy to get in touch with, respond quickly and always make you feel welcomed in what can be very awkward circumstances.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Washington University School of Medicine.
The process is efficient and flexible. They are very willing to work with your schedule and offer a range of available times to fit better with your personal needs.
I am unsure, as I was fortunate enough to have the majority of my treat,nets covered by my insurance policy.
St. Louis - Central West End

Dr. Jungheim was warm and seemed so invested in our story. She would take the time (sometimes over an hour) to meet with us and talk us through every detail of the procedures and possible outcomes...Dr. Jungheim was honest and forthright about the research that is out there and the research that has yet to be done. She approaches treatment from an evidence based perspective, which is important to me. And she was honest. If I asked a question to which there wasn't any good research out there to provide an answer, she would tell me so...She even pointed me to the original research articles, so I could read them myself...
it is the doctor who is on call [at Washington University School of Medicine] for that week who performs the procedures. I had Dr. Ratts and Dr. Odem and they were both great. So, if you are comfortable with that type of approach, this would work for you...After my first IVF cycle failed, they met to discuss the next steps for me. I liked knowing that I was getting 5 opinions in addition to Dr. Jungheim's...I conveniently could do monitoring appointments right before work. It operated well. Sometimes I wouldn't have to wait at all, sometimes I'd have to wait 10 minutes. The techs who did the monitoring were great.
Dr. Jungheim has the exact bedside manner that I love. She is warm, friendly, compassionate, and deeply caring. Also, as a scientist, I wanted to know the research that exists about treatment options, and Dr. Jungheim was honest and forthright about the research that is out there and the research that has yet to be done. She approaches treatment from an evidence based perspective, which is important to me. And she was honest. If I asked a question to which there wasn't any good research out there to provide an answer, she would tell me so. When there was truly no way to know the biological reason our first IVF cycle didn't work, she was honest about that and told me so. I hear stories of other doctors telling patients guesses as to why things worked a certain way, when there is actually no real way for them to know. Some patients find comfort in that, but that is not what I want. I want a doctor who does not have inflated confidence about what they know, and is informed about the actual research to give me that information. She even pointed me to the original research articles, so I could read them myself. Dr. Jungheim is fantastic. If I move away from St. Louis and need to do IVF again, I plan to go back to her!
Don't be afraid to ask a lot of questions. She will take the time for you.
Dr. Jungheim was warm and seemed so invested in our story. She would take the time (sometimes over an hour) to meet with us and talk us through every detail of the procedures and possible outcomes The staff at the clinic were also very nice and friendly and would clearly remember me. I got to know some of the staff pretty well and we would chat about my work and their lives.
We have unexplained infertility, which led us to start with IUI. When that didn't work, we moved on to IVF. My first cycle was an antagonist protocol, which was chosen for several reasons. One is that it is one of the most successful protocols for unexplained infertility in my age group at this clinic. Another is that I had a huge needle phobia, and this protocol involves fewer injections compared to the other option she would consider. We also did what they call "partial" ICSI. Since there were no known male factor issues or egg quality issues for us, the clinic used ICSI on half of my eggs in order to test the fertilization rate for ICSI vs. not. It turned out that the fertilization rate was equal, so it didn't seem that ICSI was truly necessary for us. Many clinics automatically do ICSI no matter what, however, there are some small risks of doing ICSI if you don't need to. So, this partial ICSI approach is like an experiment to see if I needed it, which would be useful for future decisions if this cycle didn't work. Then, the clinic watches the embryos and makes a decision on day 3 as to whether to do a day 3 or day 5 transfer of 1 or 2 embryos. They have certain criteria that they want to meet in order to push the transfer to day 5. I did not meet that criteria, so we transferred 2 embryos on day 3. Unfortunately, this cycle failed. The second cycle chosen was a long agonist protocol with Lupron. I also inquired about an endometrial scratch test. Dr. Jungheim told me that the evidence for the scratch is strictly correlational right now, but promising. In fact, the clinic was conducting a clinical trial to test the efficacy of the scratch at that time. Dr. Jungheim told me that if I wanted to do the scratch, I certainly could. So, I did. Ouchie. Then, we did not use ICSI this cycle given the fertilization rate of the previous cycle. And we had the same rate of fertilization. Again, the embryos did not meet criteria for a day 5 transfer, so we transferred 2 embryos on day 3. This cycle worked!!! We now have a 7.5 month old son, who is the light of our lives.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Lori, but I think she is gone now)
I did not love my nurse. But I am pretty sure she is not there anymore. And I have heard that the new nurse is great.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
This clinic uses a team approach. So, Dr. Jungheim was my primary doctor who I met with for consultations and corresponded with about my treatment plan and results. But, she was not the doctor who performed the embryo retrieval and transfer. Instead, it is the doctor who is on call for that week who performs the procedures. I had Dr. Ratts and Dr. Odem and they were both great. So, if you are comfortable with that type of approach, this would work for you. The thing I like about it is that you effectively get 5 second opinions because the team meets every week to discuss their patients and make decisions. After my first IVF cycle failed, they met to discuss the next steps for me. I liked knowing that I was getting 5 opinions in addition to Dr. Jungheim's.
Each IUI cost $400, and each round of IVF cost ~$15,000
The Washington University clinic as a whole wants to avoid multiples while maximizing live births. So they make decisions about the number of embryos to transfer based on each individual case, and I think they make very good decisions. We transferred 2 embryos and ended up with a singleton pregnancy, so I am very glad we didn't transfer 1.

2015 - 2017, Unknown Success
Dr Jungheim is very helpful and was extremely comforting while dealing with my many miscarriages as well as a complication during my ivf cycle. She checked up on me numerous times and has remained positive and very supportive... Don't spend too long doing IUI before moving to IVF. Dr Jungheim encouraged me to move to IVF but was supportive when I wasn't ready. I now wish I had moved on sooner.
The clinic [Washington University Medical Center] is nice and easy to access in terms of location and parking. The front desk staff are nice and helpful. They were also very supportive and kind when I was dealing with a lost.... Nikki [a nurse] is great and regularly calls me to communicate follow up and next steps in the process. She was also very nice when I was going through my miscarriages.
Dr Jungheim is very caring and cares for me personally.
We did clomid and IUI for several cycles. Then we did a long agonist cycle starting with a month of oral contraceptives then adding Lupron, gonal F and menopur. That cycle resulted in a miscarriage. I now am undergoing a frozen embryo transfer cycle with estrogen and progesterone.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Nikki)
Nikki is great and regularly calls me to communicate follow up and next steps in the process. She was also very nice when I was going through my miscarriages.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The clinic is nice and easy to access in terms of location and parking. The front desk staff are nice and helpful. They were also very supportive and kind when I was dealing with a lost.
I paid 383$ for each IUI cycle. We paid a total of around $12 k for our IVF cycle with an additional $4k for prescriptions. We have no IVF or infertility coverage.
She prefers and counsels in favor of elective single embryo transfer in my age group but is very receptive to whatever the patient wants to do.
St. Louis - Central West End

Dr. Jungheim is incredibly warm and very thorough and scientific in her treatment planning and recommendations. I would wholeheartedly recommend her to a friend. She maintained a positive but realistic attitude throughout the process.... Each time we met with Dr. Jungheim, she took all the time we needed to answer our questions and provide us with more information on the treatments she was recommending.
This Washington University clinic has the very best physicians, and I have been extremely impressed by the nursing staff as well. The one improvement I feel could be made is to the front desk staff who can be a bit gruff.... I completed 3 Clomid+IUI cycles with Dr. Jungheim, all of which resulted in negative pregnancy tests. Dr. Jungheim then recommended we swiftly move on to IVF, rather than doing more IUI cycles, given that this is shown to get patients pregnant faster and for less cost overall than doing more IUI cycles.
Dr. Jungheim diagnosed me with unexplained infertility. She was not able to pinpoint any specific issues in either my partner nor I. I completed 3 Clomid+IUI cycles with Dr. Jungheim, all of which resulted in negative pregnancy tests. Dr. Jungheim then recommended we swiftly move on to IVF, rather than doing more IUI cycles, given that this is shown to get patients pregnant faster and for less cost overall than doing more IUI cycles.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Dr. Jungheim has a strong preference for eSET.
What specific things went wrong at Washington University School of Medicine?
St. Louis - Central West End

Dr. Jungheim made sure to explain everything to us. When a cycle failed, she showed us complete compassion and understood our concerns. She made sure she addressed any concerns we had and answered every question. She is kind and trustworthy!... Everyone at the office listens to any concerns I have and answers questions without hesitation. They take their time in explaining everything and make sure I am comfortable and understand. I've never been treated with so much care and compassion by any doctor's office like I have at Wash U!
Everyone at the office [Wash U] listens to any concerns I have and answers questions without hesitation. They take their time in explaining everything and make sure I am comfortable and understand. I've never been treated with so much care and compassion by any doctor's office like I have at Wash U!... The nurse always made sure she got back to me in a timely manner. She answered any questions I had and if she wasn't sure, she made sure to ask Dr. Jungheim and then she got back to me immediately. She is always very kind, calm, and patient. She showed us nothing but compassion through the whole process!
Address any questions or concerns you have
St. Louis - Central West End
Emily Jungheim was a very caring and unique understanding person.. Very professional and made sure you left her with no misunderstanding!! I loved my experience with her and would choose her again!!! The nurses were extremely help, kind and understanding I just love everything about this place...My doctor made sure I understood what my choices was and what was in my best health...Felt very safe in this clinic [WashU] and would go to it again
Very friendly and understanding [Washington University Nurses] made sure my feelings came first....Had no problems with them communication was very well handled . They made sure you understood all questions and concerns!! The clinic was clean and well kept and no problems finding their location. Was going under a little construction but wasn’t a problem! Felt very safe in this clinic and would go to it again..
Listen to everything she says because she’s doing what she can to make your dreams come true!!
Very caring and friendly person
Not sure of specific in protocol but I used Lupron, Gonal F, Menopur
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Yes)
Very friendly and understanding made sure my feelings came first.
St. Louis - Missouri Baptist Med Center

2013 - 2015, Successful
Dr. Jungheim is an incredible doctor. She treats her patients and their spouse with respect and compassion. She does not overpromise but offers enough encouraging words that, as a patient, you know that she is deeply invested in the outcome....I never felt rushed. I felt that the doctor truly understood - and had compassion for - the emotional toll this experience took on a person. We were never pressured to make a decision. Just given the facts and encouraged to make a personal choice at every turn.
The clinic [Washington University Fertility] is very clean and organized. My one even slightly negative comment would be the front desk had frequent turnover....The nursing staff - Karen for blood work (retired now) and Tracy for ultrasounds - was some of the best I have ever seen....I never felt rushed. I felt that the doctor [Dr. Emily Jungheim] truly understood - and had compassion for - the emotional toll this experience took on a person. We were never pressured to make a decision. Just given the facts and encouraged to make a personal choice at every turn.
You will not regret your choice!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Andrea)
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The clinic is very clean and organized. My one even slightly negative comment would be the front desk had frequent turnover.
$15,000 all in; Our insurance covered $10,000
St. Louis - Central West End

Staff [at Washington University School of Medicine] is friendly on arrival. When I was there they were transitioning computer charting, so everyone was confused. When making initial appointment, found it difficult to get through. When doing the financial clearance portion, found it difficult to get a callback...Dr Jungheim explained every detail of the IVF process and the steps we would be taking next. She was very knowledgeable and transparent. She was compassionate and had great bedside manner. She looks at all treatment options and decides what would work best for you. When a test result showed something we weren’t expecting, she had a plan be to use if needed. I am not through my IVF cycle, but have had a great experience with Dr. Jungheim this far.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Staff is friendly on arrival. When I was there they were transitioning computer charting, so everyone was confused. When making initial appointment, found it difficult to get through. When doing the financial clearance portion, found it difficult to get a callback.