Medical SchoolNYU
Garden City, NY 11530
516-746-3633
635 Madison Avenue
212-756-5777
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Eric Flisser to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend RMA of New York to a friend?
Endometriosis, PCOS, Unexplained
Dr Flisser is a very kind, very warm man who really cared when speaking to us and always took as much time as was necessary to explain his thoughts on our treatment and why we were doing what we were doing...Dr Flisser is a great doctor, but is also part of a larger group of doctors....We completed seven IVF cycles with Dr Flisser. In broad strokes, the cycles were similar not not identical.... He cares, he is very human and humane, but ultimately works in a system that is designed for what works for the most number of people and can only tailor a specific treatment for our needs within certain limitations.
Endometriosis, PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Eric Flisser at RMA of New York?
Dr Flisser is a great doctor, but is also part of a larger group of doctors. The group seems to help set the overall standards of what is considered appropriate treatments and Flisser must work within those standards. He cares, he is very human and humane, but ultimately works in a system that is designed for what works for the most number of people and can only tailor a specific treatment for our needs within certain limitations.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eric Flisser at RMA of New York?
Speak as much as possible, the more he knows the better he is able to treat you. Be an active participant in your medical care.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eric Flisser at RMA of New York?
Describe the protocols Eric Flisser used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
We completed seven IVF cycles with Dr Flisser. In broad strokes, the cycles were similar not not identical. The cycles all started with differing levels of Follistim and Menopur, followed by Ganirelix. We shifted from a Lupron trigger to a larger HCG trigger as our treatments progressed. We went in to the Garden City office for monitoring (blood and sono) during weekdays (we needed to run to the main Manhattan office on weekends). We would do a retrieval in Manhattan, followed by a fresh transfer on Day 5 (RMA only offers Day 5 transfers) and we always forewent PGS genetic testing. Our second cycle did produce a positive pregnancy result, but only lasted seven weeks until a miscarriage occurred. As we progressed in our cycles, we also decided to explore other, complimentary, options to our medical treatment. These ranged from added vitamins and antioxidants to thrice weekly acupuncture to more experimental methods involving immune-therapy. Dr Flisser was mostly receptive to our concerns, but did tell us when he thought these alternative methods would interfere with our regular regimen.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Olga)
Olga was our local coordinator, she handled our paperwork and telling us our lab results and what was expected for the following day or week, whichever was appropriate. (We had a different financial coordinator). Olga was not in charge of the day to day blood testing, that was Chrisi, who was always fantastic.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
You should be aware that this is a very large practice and there will be times when you might feel like a number rather than a patient. However, a crowded waiting room does not mean that you are part of a conveyor belt, once you are behind the scenes, our treatment always seemed very personal. A large practice gives many pluses and minuses, and you should think about what you are comfortable.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
This is a large practice and it has a first come, first served policy. Once you get a handle on when things are busy and how long they last, it is very easy to work around the monitoring hours. However, my wife and I had a great deal of flexibility in our morning schedules, which allowed us to handle the monitoring quite easily, your results may vary.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eric Flisser at RMA of New York.
The costs were considerable, but we were fortunate enough to have very good insurance and our insurance company classified this place as a "center of excellence" which offered it's own significant advantages. We also had a finance coordinator who took care of our billing for us.
Describe Eric Flisser's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
In general, Dr Flisser is open to lots of different approaches, but does work from the overall statistics about what works best for the most people. This is a great overall approach, but may not work for everyone by definition, so it is important to be active in your own care.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
How was your experience with Eric Flisser at RMA of New York?
Dr. Flisser is an asset to the RMA community. He is a kind, caring, and well informed doctor who has helped me to navigate through an awful and emotional process in a compassionate and meaningful manner. Although he did not personally perform each of my IUIs, he was always involved with the treatment protocol. During a particularly difficult time for me, Dr. Flisser sat on the phone with me for 45 minutes reassuring me and helping me to understand what was going to happen. As I’m about to begin my ivf journey, I am absolutely confident in Dr. flisser’s abilities to get me my desired outcome.
Be a partner in your care; ask questions and be informed about your care.
Dr. Flisser always makes me feel like I have his full attention both when I’m in his office talking or while undergoing treatment. Although the office is hectic and the office staff are often difficult to reach, Dr. Flisser always returns phone calls and provides his full attention. He is compassionate and informative, always making sure that my husband and I have full understanding of all of our treatment options before leaving his office. Although I have not yet gotten my positive test, I am confident that Dr. Flisser will get us there.
Due to my diagnosis of PCOS and hypothyroidism, I was prescribed Clomid, ovidrel, and endometrin for my IUis. Going forward, I will be doing IVF with ICSI. I’m unsure of the specific protocol being used at this time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Courtney)
I have dealt with many nurses who have all been helpful to varying degrees. Courtney, my IVF coordinator, has been absolutely wonderful and accessible.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
RMA is a baby factor. It is often highly difficult to get someone on the phone, and even harder to get a call back. While my doctor treated me as an individual, the clinic absolutely makes you feel like an impersonal number. It can be very frustrating and upsetting not to feel valued. Specifically regarding the Long Island office, I have always had a pleasant experience.
IUI was covered by insurance, IVF will cost approximately 16,000.
Dr. Flisser does recommend eSET and while I would like to do multiple embryo transfers, I understand his rationale.
Long Island
I felt that Dr. Flisser was going to help us be successful in having a child and he was...He is very confident in his expertise and skills as a RE. While his demeanor could be misconstrued as dismissive saying things like, “I’m the doctor.” I actually felt that was an important message for him to say and for me to hear. We were more conecernes tbat his numbers spoke for our chance for success. Dr. Flisser is definitely a numbers guy, but that does not mean that we were treated as a number.
How was your experience with Eric Flisser at RMA of New York?
I felt that Dr. Flisser was going to help us be successful in having a child and he was. There were setbacks when treatments didn’t work, however I felt that as long as Dr. Flisser didn’t give up on us, we shouldn’t give up on him. He is very confident in his expertise and skills as a RE. While his demeanor could be misconstrued as dismissive saying things like, “I’m the doctor.” I actually felt that was an important message for him to say and for me to hear. We were more conecernes tbat his numbers spoke for our chance for success. Dr. Flisser is definitely a numbers guy, but that does not mean that we were treated as a number. He is invested in seeing his patients through to a positive and healthy pregnancy.
Let him do his job as an RE and build a support system of friends for the emotional support that you will certainly need. I’d give this advice regardless of who the fertility doctor is, and that is: If a cycle doesn’t work the first time don’t switch doctors just because it didn’t work. I think they are putting together a puzzle and the first time is only one piece. Unfortunately, I think people have to shift expectations of fertility treatments being a perfect science. It most definitely is not. Dr. Flisser very clearly understands the percentages and numbers and it was comforting and helpful as we dug in towards additional treatments that he could share the true chances of success.
Dr. Flisser took true ownership of our fertility process. On multiple occasions he made it apparent that he was going to be the one present for me because I was “his,” patient.
We did 3 IUI’s with trigger shot and clomid and then because of our age and history of infertility did IVF. Egg retrieval brought 20 eggs. Of those 10 were fertilized with ICSI and 4 embryos made it to the 5th day blastocyst. We had PGS performed and 3 were considered viable. I had a single embryo transferred that was AA grade, male, which resulted in a negative test. I had a BC embryo, male, transferred that resulted in a chemical pregnancy. I had the final CC embryo transferred that resulted in our wonderful daughter.
The nurses are wonderful at RMA.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
RMA (east side) definitely feels like a baby factory. However, my feelings about this are positive. The fact that so many people go there is because it works. They have incredible resources because of the number of patients they see. Ultimately I wanted a place with good success rates and RMA has that. Sure, it can feel disheartening to sit in a waiting room with so many other couples, often this is what attributes patients feeling like a number, but for me it helped me to not feel so alone sitting among so many other hopeful parents.
Insurance covered most of the IUI cycles less co-pays and medication co-pays. We paid roughly 25% of the tots IVF costs. PGS and the freezing of embryos was on us.
It was hard to accept that Dr. Flisser was only transferring one embryo at a time. We wanted “insta-family.” However, he is concerned about having healthy babies and healthy mothers, which multiples have more risks. Dr. Flisser held a pretty hard line of only transferring one at a time. We know he has transferred multiples but our understanding is he resorts to that only after multiple failed attempts with one.
NY - Eastside
We are so incredibly thankful to Dr. Flisser for guiding us through this process, and have actually recommended some of our family members to RMA as a result...Dr. Flisser has an extensive understanding of fertility, remains very current on the newest technologies, is incredibly patient and thorough, and ultimately helped us conceive our first child. We were trying to get pregnant for about a year, ended up doing two rounds of IUI which unfortunately didn't work, and finally ended up doing a retrieval using PGD, ICSI, and a 5 day transfer that worked.
How was your experience with Eric Flisser at RMA of New York?
Dr. Flisser has an extensive understanding of fertility, remains very current on the newest technologies, is incredibly patient and thorough, and ultimately helped us conceive our first child. We were trying to get pregnant for about a year, ended up doing two rounds of IUI which unfortunately didn't work, and finally ended up doing a retrieval using PGD, ICSI, and a 5 day transfer that worked. We are so incredibly thankful to Dr. Flisser for guiding us through this process, and have actually recommended some of our family members to RMA as a result.
Dr. Flisser was exactly the type of doctor that we tend to gravitate towards. He's very direct and thorough, always erring on the side of reality and odds rather than providing a false hope or narrative. I think this can often times be interpreted as having a cold bed-side manner because he's often very direct about statistics, chances of success, etc. Rather than sugar coat things he simply conveys what they know about fertility, what the data suggests, etc. However, while his approach can sometimes be a bit more clinical in nature, he's extremely patient, understanding and thorough. We started so many sentences with "this may be a dumb question, but..." and every time he would say it's not a dumb question at all and proceed to calmly walk us through everything. This Madison Ave location of RMA is very busy, but we never felt rushed or like he was trying to finish our appointment so he could work with the next couple. As time went on, we developed a great rapport with Dr. Flisser and were truly thankful he was our doctor.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Arielle)
LOVED Arielle, she was amazing to work with, super responsive, incredibly caring, and an overall wonderful person.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
RMA does a great job of getting results. They can be super busy at times, and depending on when you go the wait times can be long, but it's an incredibly competent office with a very strong team.
~$15k for the retrieval and transfer. Another $2k for PGD testing, and then the medication was separate, around $3,500
Dr. Flisser felt that if we didn't want to have twins, and weren't in a crazy rush to have kids, that the eSET gave us the best chance to have a singleton and ultimately would lead to less potential pregnancy complications vs transferring multiple embryos.
1 IUI, 2 IVF, Egg Freezing
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation
1 IUI, 2 IVF, Egg Freezing
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation
How was your experience with Eric Flisser at RMA of New York?
Dr. Flisser is very smart and very honest. He is also open to hearing patient's concerns and is willing to think outside box. For example, although RMA doesn't really believe in immunology protocols, Dr. Flisser was supportive and still worked with me when I went to see one because he knew it was something I really wanted. Dr. Flisser is not only an amazing doctor but he is an amazing person. The night before my egg retrieval I realized I did not have the medicine for my trigger shot. Dr. Flisser drove to the office and to my apartment and hand delivered the medication to me. I have been to three RE's now and he is truly the best.
You're in good hands. Don't be afraid to ask questions and always be your own advocate
Dr. Flisser gives out his email address and always responds within a day or two. He makes times to talk to you on the phone and candidly answers all questions.
1 egg retrieval with ICSI, 6 embryos resulting all PGS tested. First frozen transfer resulted in chemical pregnancy. Second FET resulted in 7.5 week miscarriage followed by a D&C. Endometrial biopsy found endometritis and products of conception, needed a hysteroscopy. Third FET resulted in negative pregnancy test
Arielle is the best! She is compassionate and always makes herself available even when she is not actually working.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
well oiled machine but factory like in that theres a lot of people. I personally don't mind that it's like a factory because Dr. Flisser always makes an effort to see and treat his patients.
My insurance covered my FET but not ICSI and not PGS testing
He is a proponent of single embryo transfers
2013 - 2017
2 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
I've worked with Dr. Flisser twice, once to freeze eggs when I was 35 and more recently with my husband when we had trouble conceiving on our own. ...ne thing I like most about Dr. Flisser's approach is that he covers all the bases up front. In other words, we did IVF (w/ICSI) with PGS on our first cycle rather than trying IUI and then the next time trying IVF and then the next time trying IVF with PGS which is what some friends who worked with other clinics/doctors experienced. I also liked that Dr. Flisser performed complete testing up front so that we knew everything we may be challenged with early and could address early.
2013 - 2017
How was your experience with Eric Flisser at RMA of New York?
I've worked with Dr. Flisser twice, once to freeze eggs when I was 35 and more recently with my husband when we had trouble conceiving on our own. We went through 2 IVF (w/ICSI) cycles with Dr. Flisser and for both decided to do PGS as well. We're now due with a baby boy in a couple of months. I know others who have had infertility challenges and one thing I like most about Dr. Flisser's approach is that he covers all the bases up front. In other words, we did IVF (w/ICSI) with PGS on our first cycle rather than trying IUI and then the next time trying IVF and then the next time trying IVF with PGS which is what some friends who worked with other clinics/doctors experienced. I also liked that Dr. Flisser performed complete testing up front so that we knew everything we may be challenged with early and could address early. Dr. Flisser's demeanor is pretty direct and to the point, which I really liked because I wasn't given false promises or hope, just the facts in what was already an emotional time. I would recommend Dr. Flisser over and over again and plan to work with him again in a few years when we're ready for baby number 2.
Ask questions. He'll answer them all.
I always felt "like a human" with Dr. Flisser himself. I don't know if it's RMA or just the process, but with so many visits to take blood and for monitoring, sometimes that part of the experience can feel a little like a factory and "a number".
IVF with ICSI for male inftertility PGS
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
At RMA you see whatever dr. is rounding on the days that you visit. I had good experiences with all the doctors. The nurses were also helpful. I've had some difficulties dealing with the financial team in terms of responsiveness, but nothing that would push me to not work with RMA again in the future.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Monitoring hours are set in the morning and there are quite a few people there. It was nothing that really bothered me though -- just kind of felt like part of the process.
All in, for IVF (w/ICSI) and PGS, I think the cost was around $15,000 out of pocket. Insurance covered some of this for us and I know RMA takes some insurance, just not ours.
Dr. Flisser's approach for us, was eSET.
NY - Eastside
Dr. Flisser got us the results we wanted - a perfectly healthy pregnancy. He was very honest and candid about the best treatment options. Even when we didn't get to see him, we felt confident he was monitoring our case, and dictating our treatment. He was always friendly, professional, and clear.... He's busy, and has lots of patients. Don't expect him to hold your hand or give you emotional comfort. ...once you are with Dr. Flisser, he answers all questions, and does not seem rushed...
How was your experience with Eric Flisser at RMA of New York?
He's busy, and has lots of patients. Don't expect him to hold your hand or give you emotional comfort. But if you want results, he is the one to go to. I trust him and his medical opinion completely.
The clinic is busy, and runs very efficiently. Waiting during monitoring visits can make you feel like a number, but once you are with Dr. Flisser, he answers all questions, and does not seem rushed.
We did an IUI cycle w/ clomid. Pregnancy on first try, but ended in miscarriage. We went to IVF after that with gonal-F, menapur, garilanyx, and this resulted in a successful egg retrieval. We opted to do PGS testing, and ended up with 11 healthy embryos. We did an e-set frozen embryo transfer that resulted in healthy pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Ariel )
Dr. Flisser's nurse Ariel was fantastic. Always responded / returned calls promptly, and addressed all of our concerns. It can sometimes be hard to get a hold of a nurse when they are having a busy day or on weekends. But overall we didnt have a question that went more than a day unanswered.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Strengths: They get results, efficient, and have enough staff to handle lots of patients. They are quick with giving you results, and open 364 days a year. Weaknesses: Some of less experienced folks struggle with taking your blood. Expect to wait 15-20 minutes each time due to the high volume.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
It was efficient, but busy and wait times were never more than 20 minutes.
Insurance covered almost all of it. Very little out of pocket costs - $40 an ultrasound, and $2000 for genetic testing but that was optional.
We didn't discuss. Dr Flisser recommended eSET from the start, and we went with that.
NY - Eastside
I only saw Dr. Flisser a couple of times...during my first consultation, on day one of my cycle for monitoring and maybe twice more quickly for monitoring. A different doctor did my retrieval, whom I had never met, based on the day my retrieval fell and their schedules for doing retrievals. Overall, I think Flisser is a nice guy and is smart/very knowledgeable about fertility treatments. I didn't get the feeling he was paying close attention to my treatment and was invested in my outcome (even if he was, I didn't get that feeling). The communication and follow up with the doctor wasn’t great post cycle...
European, Native American, Other
How was your experience with Eric Flisser at RMA of New York?
Eric has a fairly laid back attitude, but he is willing to sit and answer as many questions as you have. When I did see him, he was patient and thorough in his explanations. He is thorough when asked questions, but does not proactively provide a lot of information. It was my first time doing any fertility treatment, so more information regarding expectations and how I was progressing along the way would've been helpful. But if you know what to expect and what questions to ask, you should be ok. I only saw Dr. Flisser a couple of times...during my first consultation, on day one of my cycle for monitoring and maybe twice more quickly for monitoring. A different doctor did my retrieval, whom I had never met, based on the day my retrieval fell and their schedules for doing retrievals. Overall, I think Flisser is a nice guy and is smart/very knowledgeable about fertility treatments. I didn't get the feeling he was paying close attention to my treatment and was invested in my outcome (even if he was, I didn't get that feeling). The communication and follow up with the doctor wasn’t great post cycle. My cycle was unsuccessful and I had questions about options for another cycle and I had to follow up several times to get answers.
Ask a lot of questions. You have to be proactive to get information. Know that you may not have him for your retrieval. This is more a statement of the clinic though because each doctor is scheduled to do retrievals on a certain day.
I didn't see him much, but when I did, he appeared to remember me and took interest in my progress.
First 5 days: 300 IU of Gonal/F every day ( in the morning ) 2 amps of Menopur ( in the evening ) Last 5 days 300 IU of Gonal/F ( in the morning ) 3 amps of Menopur ( in the evening ) 250 mcg of Cetrotide (in the evening) Trigger shots night before retrieval: 40 units of LupT 1000 IU of hCG
The nursing staff at the monitoring sessions were all very caring and pleasant. The nurses that would call with instructions or answer questions were very organized and prompt.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Pros: The ladies at the front desk are very nice and friendly, as are all the nurses during monitoring hours. The clinic is very organized considering the volume of people coming through there everyday. They always called when they said they would with instructions for the next day and followed up with an email with the exact instructions. The nurses were very available for questions. You'd have to leave a message with the front desk, but a nurse would call you back, even after hours. Cons: There are a LOT of patients in and out each day. The waiting time for monitoring hours can be long. If you arrive a few minutes before they open at 7am, that's your best bet for a short wait time.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
The monitoring hours are from 7am-9am, but the waiting room gets very full and the wait times can be very long. The best time to go is first thing in the morning and be there when they open at 7am. Each time I did this, I never waited more than 10 minutes. However, the waiting does have WiFi, which is nice.
Approx $18K
NY - Eastside
Dr Flisser was extremely helpful throughout this process. He spent a lot of time with us discussing each of the various procedures and the risks/increasing of odds with each added step. My husband and I appreciated that he was very much an odds guy, he helped us understand what would increase our chances, but without escalating too fast. He was helpful in assisting us on when to escalate (after 3 months of clomid/letrozol w/trigger shot, we added iui). I was frustrated in this process by not having a clear cut diagnosis and thus in my head a clear path to solving the problem in getting pregnant. For much of the process, I spent time focusing in trying to figure out what was wrong and not working. After all the initial tests came back clear and there was anything that was an obvious problem, dr flisser seemed to easily accept the "unexplained fertility" diagnosis and really focus on how to get us pregnant. For my husband, that was great, for me, who really wanted to understand why my body wasn't functioning, it was frustrating. By the end of the process (9 months later- 3 med cycles, 3
How was your experience with Eric Flisser at RMA of New York?
dr flisser was extremely helpful throughout this process. He spent a lot of time with us discussing each of the various procedures and the risks/increasing of odds with each added step. My husband and I appreciated that he was very much an odds guy, he helped us understand what would increase our chances, but without escalating too fast. He was helpful in assisting us on when to escalate (after 3 months of clomid/letrozol w/trigger shot, we added iui). I was frustrated in this process by not having a clear cut diagnosis and thus in my head a clear path to solving the problem in getting pregnant. For much of the process, I spent time focusing in trying to figure out what was wrong and not working. After all the initial tests came back clear and there was anything that was an obvious problem, dr flisser seemed to easily accept the "unexplained fertility" diagnosis and really focus on how to get us pregnant. For my husband, that was great, for me, who really wanted to understand why my body wasn't functioning, it was frustrating. By the end of the process (9 months later- 3 med cycles, 3 med + IUI cycles, 1 egg retrieval and 1 transfer cycle) and a pregnancy (currently 24weeks), I'm a little more at ease with not having a diagnosis At roughly 8 out of 10 monitoring apts we saw Dr flisser, with the exception of our egg retrieval cycle. Unfortunately, our first retrieval cycle happened to fall during the Jewish holidays, so we saw him on day one of the cycle, and then he was off on holiday- while not in office, he was monitoring our progress with the staff via email and did adjust a few of my meds as needed. At the beginning it didn't bother me that I wasn't seeing our dr, as the other drs we saw were reassuring, but as we got closer to the retrieval and I began to realize I wouldn't see him before or for the retrieval I started to freak out. It seemed a little unsettling to go through the entire egg retrieval process and only see our actual dr once. After speaking with the nurses about my fears, they got in touch with Flisser and he called me with reassurance that he'd been monitoring my case and that in his opinion everything looked great for a good retrieval. I asked if he could possibly do the retrieval the next day and he said he'd try. He did end up performing our retrieval, which definitely put me at ease. While Dr Flisser, is good at explaining the medical process and odds, he's not the most warm and fuzzy. He's direct when presenting information and results. You will not be chatting about your weekend plans or laughing at jokes during your apts. while he will take the time to reassure you if you have doubts, he will not be one offering hugs or show much emotion throughout the process. For me and my husband, we were ok with this and the nurses are incredibly helpful with empathy and emotional breakdowns. Overall we were happy to have Dr Flisser on our team during this incredibly stressful process full of no guarantees and lots of uncertainty.
I would advise you to ask questions about the process. Fertility doctors go through these procedures 100s of times a day and often forget that we as patients don't know the process and have fears (not to mention that the meds we're on make us an emotional wreck) If you have questions or concerns, speak up and ask. Due to the nature of the practice, there is always a ton of people in office and the actual monitoring is very quick, so it sometimes feels rushed, but if you have questions and concerns and ask, Flisser will stop and take the time to answer them thoughtfully.
dr flisser was very direct with the medical information and took the time to explain to us the process, and options, and what he thought was the issue, unfortunately didn't have a clear cut diagnosis, but the catch all "unexplained infertility". However, he's not the most warm and fuzzy- he's not going to tell jokes and give hugs, but if you're someone who needs to be completely in the loop of the medical knowledge and the process, he'll make sure that happens. Also, the nature of the RMA practice, it's a little like a casting call, does add to the feeling of being a "number"
As I'm under 30 and was having irregular cycles, with no other medical tests pointing to any other fertility issues, we started with clomid. After the clomid didn't seem to regulate my cycles, we switched to letrozole. After 3 cycles of letrozole at various dosages with no success, Flisser discussed with us other options and helped us settle on adding IUI. He didn't feel at that point we needed to jump into the invasive process of IVF as due to our age, time was not of an essence. After 3 failed IUI cycles and a diagnosis of "unexplained infertility," we again discussed our options. While, Flisser said there is no medical reason that the IUI wouldn't probably eventually work and that due to our age, we didn't need to rush, he advised that if we moved to IVF we might have success sooner. In our age group, he's had great success with very few retrieval and transfer cycles (that often there's some unexplained reason why the fertilized egg doesn't mesh correctly, but once embryos are made , the success rate is strong). Using this information, we decided to move onto IVF, with PGD (this would confirm that all implanted embryos would be potentially viable). We used the antagonist protocol. We had 25 eggs retrieved, 17 were fertilized, 5 made to freezing at day 5, and 4 passed the PGD testing. With those results, we decided to move forward with the transfer. In good news, I'm currently 24weeks pregnant off of our first transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Marlene)
We were assigned Marlene as our IVF coordinator. Her job was to help us have a rough schedule, get prescriptions/refills to the pharmacy of our choice, and answer scheduling questions about each part in the procedure. She was easily reachable by email and was prompt with replying to emails with questions about meds, protocol, and scheduling. Most of the nursing staff was incredibly pleasant and understanding and as always there are some standouts. Alyssa, was incredibly helpful to me- she's part of the team that you can meet with after monitoring apts for those questions you think of after the dr leaves the room and relaying the instructions after the dr has reviewed the lab work. She was always compassionate when I felt overwhelmed by the process and was always through when answering questions. She was also incredibly prompt when responding to emails. Another standout nurse was Chanel. She learned my name quickly and always greeted me with a smile and hello and a quick chat. It was also reassuring to see her familiar face not only in the monitoring apts, but also on the surgical floor with the egg retrieval and transfer. She just genuinely cared about her patients and making them feel human in a process that is overwhelming and can often make you feel like a number.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Clinic strengths: it's all inclusive and at one location (monitoring, transfer, retrievals are all at the same location). The clinic can help you with financing and recommending programs to get discounts. Also, by having so many drs, they're open every day but Christmas which is important with a process so time sensitive. Weaknesses: sometimes you do just feel like a number- there are so many women in and out and you see them all so you realize how many people are being treated by the practice. Because there are so many doctors, you sometimes see one once and never again.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
The monitoring hours were first come first serve from 7-8:30am. Depending on the day of the week and the time you arrived, it could be a quick wait or it could be a never ending line. On average I would say wed be seen within 20min of arrival and check in. Although there were often people waiting, the clinic was efficient with their process of moving people through lab work and ultrasounds as quickly as possible.
Ultrasound monitoring- $275 Ultrasound and blood- $305 Bloodwork- $40 All apt inclusive (not including meds) retrieval cycle- $7500 + $750 for anesthesia Frozen transfer cycle (not including meds)-$7500 pGD testing- $3000
2013 - 2014
Flisser did not seem to be an expert in diminished ovarian reserve. He was not particularly encouraging based on my high FSH numbers and low antral follicle count. He was not willing to proceed with retrieval with a low number of follicles , which for me seem to be inevitable and with a different doctor at anotehr clinic, l I was able to proceed even though I had only produced four or five follicles and I had a successful pregnancy based on that procedure ... It involved high doses of Gonal-F and estrogen priming and something else . It didn't seem particularly well suited for my diminished ovarian reserve diagnosis although I think from flexor's point of view the high doses were targeted to my non-receptive ovaries .
How was your experience with Eric Flisser at RMA of New York?
Flisser did not seem to be an expert in diminished ovarian reserve. He was not particularly encouraging based on my high FSH numbers and low antral follicle count. He was not willing to proceed with retrieval with a low number of follicles , which for me seem to be inevitable and with a different doctor at anotehr clinic, l I was able to proceed even though I had only produced four or five follicles and I had a successful pregnancy based on that procedure . With Flisser there was also a whole situation where he thought I had an ectopic pregnancy and was recommending that I have a shot to induce a chemical abortion . I was certain that it was not ectopic but merely a blighted ovum which I had experienced in the past, and knew the symptoms of. I didn't want to take the pill because it would delay our next IVF cycle for several months, which is a bigger headache than it sounds like given the proliferation of days the clinic is closed in January, not to mention the very strong ticking of my biological clock given the DOR. In the end, I did not take the shot against his advice and it turned out it was not an ectopic but merely a blighted ovum as I had suspected. I think Flisser was erring on the side of caution, but this whole situation really left a bad taste in my mouth. He wasn't physically there for the after-hours appointment where the nurse was trying to push the abortion shot on me. He did, however, talk to me on the phone about it, which I suppose is generous of him. But in general, the situation made me feel like maybe fertility doctors like him aren't experts in early pregnancy in which case they should really refer patients to someone else instead of trying to diagnose things that are not within their realm of expertise.
Leave RMA quickly unless you have really simple problems. My friends whose only infertility issues involved low sperm count did well with RMA. Others with DOR and other diagnoses really found better results elsewhere.
The waiting room procedure made me feel like a numbe . Also Flisser's reaction to my lab results and his canceling retrieval based on poor stimulation response made me feel like a number.
I don't remember the specifics . It involved high doses of Gonal-F and estrogen priming and something else . It didn't seem particularly well suited for my diminished ovarian reserve diagnosis although I think from flexor's point of view the high doses were targeted to my non-receptive ovaries .
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York.
I don't really remember but the whole place was not well run it was gloomy in efficient and pleasant and infantizing.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
This really seems like a for-profit operation. It's not a pleasant place to be -- dark, gloomy, cramped and not particularly clean. I don't think it's a good clinic for people with the diagnosis of diminished ovarian reserve.
I never got to that point with Flisser, sadly.
What specific things went wrong at RMA of New York?
NY - Westside
Sometimes I feel like male doctors don't really "get it" - they have never been on 1,000 hormones before. But, I felt like Dr. Flisser did get it. He is a husband and a dad and I think that made him very releatable. We LOVE Dr. Flisser. He can be very straight forward and factual at times, so if you want someone who is a little more emotional, he is not your guy.
How was your experience with Eric Flisser at RMA of New York?
Our experience with Eric Flisser was extremely positive. From the first time we met with him, we felt very comfortable with him. We completely trusted his recommendations and guidance through this very confusing process. When I got my first negative pregnancy test - he called me that afternoon to see how I was doing. He didn't even call to explain, he just called to "check in". When I started crying on the phone, he didn't rush me off. I will never forget how grateful I felt for that call. It showed me that he was just as disappointed as I was. He is really a great doctor and we would recommend him to anyone!
Know that he is not super lovey dovey. He can be very straight forward and factual at times, so if you want someone who is a little more emotional, he is not your guy.
When I was under Dr. Flisser's care, I almost always saw him. He made an effort to coordinate all my appointments around his schedule (as best we could given my cycle), he called me after my first failed transfer and met with both me and my husband on several occasions. He never once rushed us out of his office or failed to thoughtfully answer any of my questions. When I was sobbing crying, unable to go into the transfer room, he did not rush me. He gave me time and space to pull myself together. Sometimes I feel like male doctors dont really "get it" - they have never been on 1,000 hormones before. But, I felt like Dr. Flisser did get it. He is a husband and a dad and I think that made him very relatable. We LOVE Dr. Flisser.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Marlene Pena)
I liked everyone we saw at RMA! Everyone was very pleasant in the mornings and made the monitoring process pretty seamless. The nurses who worked on the retrieval / transfer floor were amazing! They were very sweet and patient. I felt very well cared for when we were there.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Monitoring is sort of a shit show - on any given day there could be at least 20 people waiting! I dont think this was specific to RMA, I think its an NYC problem, as I had a similar experience at Columbia. But, the waiting room at RMA is nice and it goes pretty quickly. They let you get there really early so you can be there before they even start calling patients to get ahead of the crowd. Overall, monitoring is so depressing. Unless they handed out coffee and donuts I honestly dont think it could be any better than it was at RMA.
NY - Eastside
Dr. Flisser is very knowledgeable about his field and he is ready to respond during an office visit. Unfortunately i did not get pregnant and he never really adjusted the protocol after several failed transfers. Also, it was not possible to contact him directly, i always had to go through the nurses which made things very frustrating....All my IVFs were with an antagonist protocol and although i had several embryos i had several failed IVFs and one miscarriage.
How was your experience with Eric Flisser at RMA of New York?
If you do not get pregnant after a couple of IVFs either change doctor or change clinics.
There are too many patients in this clinic. On the weekend i had to travel to NYC for monitoring (the Garden City office is closed on weekends) and many times I had to wait 1-1.5 hours to do an ultrasound and blood work.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York.
The supporting stuff are very good, unfortunately i think there are too many patients in the clinic which can make the phone calls you get for the medication to be very late in the day.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
The weakness is that they have too many patients and it is hard to get a protocol that is specifically tailored to the individual patient. If you are a difficult case or their protocols do not work then they do not adjust. Their strength is that they have a very good embryo lab.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
When i would go to the monitoring in Garden City there was not a lot of wait but in the weekend that office is closed so i had to go to NYC. The wait could be anywhere from 1 to 1.5 hours.
2010 - 2015
2010 - 2015
How was your experience with Eric Flisser at RMA of New York?
It is hard to be a fertility patient. Especially if you have to keep coming back month after month after month. Dr Flisser always made me feel like I had options and that he would help us achieve our goals. He is kind and nurturing and really makes the effort to personally connect with you. Excellent bedside manner and I trusted him completely. I would never go to any other dr for my fertility.
Just be honest with him and ask any questions you have. He will answer everything.
Dr Flisser always took the time to talk to me and answer all of my questions. He would often stay and just chat because he is a nice person. The truth about fertility clinics is that they treat thousands of people at a time, they might see hundreds in a day during monitoring hours. Dr Flisser always made me feel like he had time for me despite how many people were waiting out in the waiting room.
For my first child we went right to IVF because that was or only option after cloned didn't work. Luckily it worked on the first round. For my second time around Most recently we used letrozole 25 mg to help me ovulate and when that wasn't enough we went to IUI with the letrozole. Took 5 rounds to see a positive result.
Nurses were excellent. Very informative and always happy to answer questions. Very compassionate and sensitive to the needs of fertility patients.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Wonderful facility on Madison Avenue.
Do not recall
2008 - 2010
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
I believe I got pregnant because of Dr Flisser. He understood the situation and didn't follow normal protocols because our situation wasn't normal and this is why we were successful. He was very patient when I asked questions and always very kind....After 4 unsuccessful IVF, we thought we had one more try. We had 5 good quality embryos and even though I was only 34 years old, Dr Flisser agreed to putting all 5 in. This lead to my daughter. He knew the history of egg quality and even though some doctors would only put in standard 2, he wanted to give us the best chance of success.
2008 - 2010
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Eric Flisser at RMA of New York?
You might have to be flexible and go to NYC and see other doctors but they are all great. Dr Flisser tries to see you whenever possible and always knows what is going on when you are with the other doctors in the practice.
He always remembered my name and personal things about me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York.
His nurse was so friendly and happy all the time. She usually would do blood drawings and when I was nervous she would calm me down.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
I liked the clinic because it was big enough to have all the resources but I still felt like I had individual treatment.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
The Long Island office was small - I rarely had to wait more than 5 minutes. When I had to go to NYC the wait was much longer.
Approx $8500 a cycle
Long Island
He [Dr. Eric Flisser] took time always to answer all of my questions and talk through my different ideas and options...was very knowledgeable about my particular issue and took a lot of time to explain it to me and come up with a treatment plan that took into account my age, what I was up against and the number of children I want...put me on a protocol that would produce enough eggs so that we could pgs test them, but not one that would get me anywhere near hyperstimulating. The rational was that because of my translocation we needed the maximum number of eggs possible so that many embryos could be tested. He made a plan to bank some embryos while I continued to try naturally on my own.
How was your experience with Eric Flisser at RMA of New York?
Eric Flisser was very knowledgeable about my particular issue and took a lot of time to explain it to me and come up with a treatment plan that took into account my age, what I was up against and the number of children I want.
To see him.
He took time always to answer all of my questions and talk through my different ideas and options.
Dr. Flisser put me on a protocol that would produce enough eggs so that we could pgs test them, but not one that would get me anywhere near hyperstimulating. The rational was that because of my translocation we needed the maximum number of eggs possible so that many embryos could be tested. He made a plan to bank some embryos while I continued to try naturally on my own.
Courtney was sometimes a bit confusing. She ordered the wrong test for my embryos but it ended up working for my specific issue. There were a few days where I wasn't sure it would work and that I wouldn't be able to test my embryos again.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Very organized, efficient, always open, available to see me and take blood at flexible times, very nice staff, very friendly and comfortable. I would have liked to have had an easier time communicating with the woman in the insurance department.
it was very efficient.
Because my embryos were pgs tested we only transferred one at a time.
What specific things went wrong at RMA of New York?
2 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Dr. Flisser took his time talking to us and answering questions. Outside of appointments all communication was with office staff... was very informative. He was clear about the process and timing of the procedures. At one point I spoke to another doctor for.a second opinion and when I went back to Dr. Flisser to discuss additional ideas he was open to changing some of the plans. He explained risks and gave statistics when asked.
How was your experience with Eric Flisser at RMA of New York?
Dr. Flisser was very informative. He was clear about the process and timing of the procedures. At one point I spoke to another doctor for.a second opinion and when I went back to Dr. Flisser to discuss additional ideas he was open to changing some of the plans. He explained risks and gave statistics when asked.
I think you just always need to be prepared to ask questions. Dr. Flisser was thorough and informative. You need to proactively make appointments when you want to regroup and discuss options ptherwise all communication was with the staff.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Ariel and Courtney)
Both the nurse and coordinator were extremely responsive either by phone or email. Throughout my time at RMA I always knew I would hear results or get my questions answered immediately.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Strengths. Process and communications. The morning process and calls and emails with directions were always efficient. Cons: Own your financial matters. You need to know your coverage ask questions and followup. Mistakes are made and they aren't proactive enough in planning.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
It was efficient. The wait varied by morning but was always reasonable.
Dr. Flisser only recommended single transfers during my treatment.
NY - Eastside
Dr Flisser has an excellent bedside manner. He was attentive and was knowledgeable of current research in his specialty....Dr Flisser was concise with my treatment plan and presented me with a realistic expectations. I had questions along the way which he addressed with patience and understanding. Overall, I felt very comfortable with him as a patient, and would return to him for my next pregnancy without hesitation...Dr Flisser's nurse coordinator, made herself available from the first visit.
How was your experience with Eric Flisser at RMA of New York?
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Alissa)
Dr Flisser's nurse coordinator, made herself available from the first visit. She gave her work email, and explained the process if I had any questions. I actually had to email her about a question on a saturday and I got a call from her same day. It calmed my anxieties since I was on vacation and traveling. She was efficient and answered all my concerns.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
The clinic is efficient, I did not wait more than 30 min during any follow up visits or lab draws. The staff from the front desk to billing were efficient, receptive to questions. It is one of the best run offices I have been to. I expected to wait much longer since I have been to doctors' offices and experienced rude staff or long wait times. Not the case with RMA
NY - Eastside
He is a great doctor, he made me feel at ease each time I saw him. He was always willing to answer all my questions and address any concerns I had. Dr. Flisser is friendly and i am happy i entrusted him and his team with my care.... He was very compassionate throughout my care period. He was also hands on.... He used Gonal-F and Ovidrel. We had 2 failed cycles with rest in between the cycles because of persisting ovarian cysts.
How was your experience with Eric Flisser at RMA of New York?
Be open minded and you are in great hands, if not the best hands..
He was very compassionate throughout my care period. He was also hands on.
He used Gonal-F and Ovidrel. We had 2 failed cycles with rest in between the cycles because of persisting ovarian cysts. Glory to God we had a positive pregnancy test on the 3rd cycle
Knowledgeable, nice and professional
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Everyone from the elevator man up to the doctors are friendly. The staff are friendly, always willing to help anytime you call or approach them. The clinic is clean and has a good ambient. The clinic is great and you will always feel at ease.
It was covered by insurance except the copay.
2013 - 2014
He [Dr. Flisser] pushed for IVF early on because we knew we wanted at least 2 kids and didn't want us to waste time on a bunch of Clomid or IUI cycles, but was fine with our decision to give it a try anyway. I felt he was pretty blunt and realistic about our chances.
How was your experience with Eric Flisser at RMA of New York?
I felt he was pretty blunt and realistic about our chances. He asked questions about what we wanted our family to be and how many children we wanted. He pushed for IVF early on because we knew we wanted at least 2 kids and didn't want us to waste time on a bunch of clomid or IUI cycles, but was fine with our decision to give it a try anyway.
Be very clear about what you want, and ask specific questions. You'll get specific answers.
At every monitoring session, I got to see a doctor. Dr Flisser if possible, but always a doctor. Also, Dr Flisser answered (promptly) his own emails.
In the middle of a cycle, when stress is at the highest, they will go out of their way to be calm, kind and clear.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
It was always extremely busy, but I was always seen pretty quickly- within an hour of arrival.