Medical SchoolU. of Texas Houston
FellowshipNational Inst of Health
8501 Arlington Blvd., Suite 500
Fairfax, VA 22031
703.876.0735
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Eric Levens to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Shady Grove Fertility to a friend?
3 IUI, 3 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Anovulation, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. Levens would recommend a single embryo transfer especially following PGS testing although is willing to consider multiple embryo transfers when clinically indicated (e.g., untested embryos with past implantation failures)...He listens carefully and attentively so I have never felt rushed during consults or even with middle-of-the-hallway questions during monitoring. Dr. Levens encourages patients to be engaged in their care and always invites follow-up inquiries as needed.
3 IUI, 3 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
From the first time I met Dr. Levens, it was very clear that he makes a personal investment in the care and well-being of his patients. I tend to have a lot of intricate questions and he regularly engages in answering these in sufficient detail. While Dr. Levens has a game plan with treatments, he is open to patients' input and, if so desired, will discuss the pros/cons of what one might have found in researching the latest protocols or merits of various options. I have recommended Dr. Levens to numerous friends and acquaintances as he has a terrific bedside manner. Infertility treatments can make male partners feel marginalized yet Dr. Levens' attitude and soft-spoken nature are very approachable to men as well and puts them at ease. Although this stage of the relationship deepened with IVF (and was less so during the TI/IUI phase of my treatment), Dr. Levens frequently calls ahead of procedures if he isn't the one on-call that day and even after to offer support/encouragement. As the complexity of my clinical situation expanded, Dr. Levens' personal attention to my case increased and he communicated updates to me much more often rather than relying on the nursing staff. When one egg retrieval went particularly awry, he updated me regularly on what was going on and it was clear that Dr. Levens was as interested in the outcome of my medical care as my husband and I. Further, I particularly appreciate how Dr. Levens will seek to keep as many options open for his patients as possible (e.g., endometrial prep for a fresh transfer just in case we decide to go for this option on day 5). The language a person chooses to use can say a lot about one's true take on a situation and Dr. Levens speaks of 'we' vs 'you' as in 'we are in this together' and that shows up in every aspect of the care I received to date--infertility really is a team sport.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
Although he has a very caring nature, Dr. Levens tends to have a more pessimistic/realistic view of the situation so be mindful of this. For instance, Dr. Levens regularly subtracts 10% from assorted success statistics I've seen (e.g., chance of implantation, odds of pregnancy from procedure, etc.) so consider this when hearing both good news (it's likely better) or bad news (it might not be as bleak). Dr. Levens is also really approachable so do take him up on the offer of reaching out with questions in between consults and/or during monitoring as he will make time to speak with you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
Despite having a very busy practice, Dr. Levens frequently goes the extra mile to answer detailed and numerous questions, calling ahead of and after treatments, and being available to do procedures himself whenever possible. He listens carefully and attentively so I have never felt rushed during consults or even with middle-of-the-hallway questions during monitoring. Dr. Levens encourages patients to be engaged in their care and always invites follow-up inquiries as needed.
Describe the protocols Eric Levens used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
We did 2 medicated timed intercourse cycles with Clomid, an IUI with Clomid and supplemented with Gonal-F, an IUI with Gonal-F, an antagonist IVF (Gonal-F and Menopur with Cetrotide followed by HCG trigger), another IUI with Gonal-F, an agonist IVF (Lupron, Gonal-F, and Menopur with HCG trigger), and an antagonist IVF with a dual trigger (Gonal-F and Menopur with Cetrotide followed by HCG and Lupron triggers). Next we are trying an estrogen priming antagonist IVF protocol. In terms of rationale, the idea was to reach greater levels of egg maturation by various mechanisms in hopes of making more embryos.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Layluma and Chelsea)
I've been in treatment for so long that managed to have 2 nurses by now. Layluma was fantastic--very sweet and caring--both as my primary nurse and upon being promoted to the surgical team. Chelsea took over as my primary nurse thereafter and has been great about answering my many questions promptly and patiently. Since especially for TI/IUI phases of treatment most of your clinical relationship is with the nurses, I am fortunate to have had a positive experience with a responsive team.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove's strength is in its reputation and size as apparently the biggest fertility clinic in the nation. With experienced REs across multiple centers, the within network expertise is available to guide treatment plans in difficult cases. I like the flexibility of being able to go to any of its numerous locations (even across several states) as medical records are linked. Overall, getting an appointment is easy especially for monitoring, which can be done in different centers across town rather than needing to be at the primary clinic every time. Having said this, I found it necessary to book a post-treatment follow-up appointment with my RE weeks out (typically at the start of a cycle) if my goal was to not miss any time due to scheduling availability. While getting a phone consult to regroup was an option, in-person consults had to be scheduled further out. Even though one has to medically qualify, Shady Grove's programs such as shared risk allow for a certain sense of security against how long a treatment may take to work. While I haven't used a shared risk program, the caveat is that either party (clinic or patient) can choose to withdraw at any time for a refund. Although I learned of this too late to fully benefit when first seeking care, Shady Grove provides a free consultation for would-be patients who attend a free seminar. This is a terrific idea since some insurance companies make women jump through multiple hoops before being allowed to see a specialist and timing of early diagnosis is so critical to better outcomes.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility.
I am fortunate enough to have had insurance coverage for infertility treatments, the level (different health plans) and pricing (procedure-based) for which varied throughout my care. For IVF, my costs were usually $5k-$7k for medications, $2.5k+ for procedures, and $3.4k if electing to PGS test embryos.
Describe Eric Levens's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
As most REs, Dr. Levens would recommend a single embryo transfer especially following PGS testing although is willing to consider multiple embryo transfers when clinically indicated (e.g., untested embryos with past implantation failures).
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve
Dr. Levens is supportive and shows empathy when you have a miscarriage. Dr. Levens is kind when you have 1 on 1 with him. However, it is hard to find him outside your scheduled consultations and it may take several days for him to return a call. When your case is not very promising he also loses interest to you.... If you need to talk to him personally in tn the middle of the cycle, you need to push the front desk staff or the nurse for that.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Levens is very kind and compassionate if you have losses. He spends time with you and explains things eventhough sometimes I would prefer to know more. However, when your case doesn't anymore look promising, he loses interest and may make you feel abandoned. He doesnot reply his e-mails but will usually call back few days later.
If you need to talk to him personally in tn the middle of the cycle, you need to push the front desk staff or the nurse for that. Better schedule a specific time if you don't want to miss his call.
I had one IUI with 300 mg Follistim. I had one dominant egg and two smaller. I htink the timing of IUI was not correct as I started ovulating on my own and they did it on the day right after the trigger shot.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Lischa Tolbert)
She was careful and was quick to respond to e-mails and return calls. She was kind and understanding
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
They are well organised and even though they have a big number of patients most of the time their system allows you not to feel like a number. Most of the nurses and technicians are nice, the front desk staff not always. They have certain protocols that if you don't fit in them they would not agree to do IVF with you but would push for IUI which may be a waste of time and money.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Levens is always very thoughtful in his approach. He explains everything as thoroughly and simply as he can and also takes the time to answer any questions. He keeps up with all of the latest research and gives his honest opinions about IVF treatments. We were slightly disappointed that he was so focused on the medicine side of things and didn't entertain any thoughts we had on a more holistic approach. Though he wasn't involved in all of our procedures, due to scheduling constraints, he was thoughtful enough to call afterwards. However, the calls usually came later in the evening, and if you missed one the only number given was the general office number, which made getting a hold of him frustrating. When our last cycle failed he set aside adequate time so that he could be sure to answer all of our questions and let us grieve. The only fault we found with this session was that he assured us that I had responded well to the updated protocol when we actually retrieved fewer eggs than the first cycle. When I asked what he would do with a third cycle, he responded that he would go back to the initial protocol and push the trigger medication at the end. This made us feel that the protocol didn't actually do what he had hoped, and it almost felt as though he was trying to save face.
Do your research and go in with questions. Make sure you find out everything that you need and want to know.
Our in-person discussions/interactions as well as phone calls with Doctor Levens were always very friendly, informative and in depth; however, our interactions with nurses and office staff often left us feeling frustrated and neglected.
Antagonist - Vivelle Protocol. No birth control pills due to my Factor V Leiden's (heterozygote) disorder. Priming cycle: Vivelle patch, ganirelix First cycle: Follistim and Menopur; Pregnyl for "Trigger"; Zithromax taken day before retrieval; Progesterone in oil taken pre-transfer. This resulted in 10 retrieved eggs, 6 mature, 5 fertilized, 1 embryo. Embryo was biopsied for pre-genetic screening and came back normal. Embryo resulted in a chemical pregnancy. Second cycle: Gonal F, Menopur, and microdose Lupron (to hopefully aid in producing more eggs); Pregnyl for "Trigger"; Zithromax taken day before retrieval; This resulted in 6 retrieved eggs, 5 mature, 5 fertilized, 0 embryos. Dr. Levens commented that several of the follicles didn't have viable eggs to retrieve which is why if he did a third cycle he would attempt to push the trigger harder with Pregnyl as well as Microdose Lupron.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
Most of the nurses I came in contact with were very capable, helpful, and compassionate, but there were several mishaps that made the process much more stressful than we hoped for. I had two primary nurses during my care. The first nurse was very personable but we had several instances where I had to correct her or ask for more detailed information on protocol. It could also be frustrating getting an answer from her in a timely manner because she was out of the office quite frequently. Eventually she left the company for another position. The second nurse was definitely better at getting back to us and helping us to feel looked after; however, there were still times we still felt like the amount of money we were paying didn't match the service we received. One of the biggest mishaps that we think is important to share was during the embryo development stage of our second cycle. The team had decided to push our embryos to day 7 because they were right on the edge of the blastocyst stage. On day 7 we waited the entire day to hear our results, holding out hope that no answer could be a good thing. By 4:00pm we finally had to call the after hour line because no one had called us. The after hours nurse called back and said that Dr. Levens had wanted to call us personally but that she could give us the results. She then proceeded to tell us that our embryos had stalled in their progression and had been discarded. When I told her we had waited all day by the phone, she replied, "Really?" So after waiting all day we heard the most devastating news we could hear from someone we didn't know and who didn't seem to grasp the gravity of the situation. Dr. Levens called back very quickly after that and apologized profusely; however, we can't help but feel we were misused. We understand that there were good intentions but feel it was a very insensitive thing to put us through.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Strengths: multiple locations; beautiful facilities; IVF costs slightly cheaper than some of the other options; large staff; up-to-date equipment and procedures; wellness center (providing nutrition, counseling, and acupuncture); talented doctors, nurses, embryologists, etc; shared risk program. Weaknesses: their size can make them come across as impersonable, the nurses have so many patients that they can get information wrong; before the new facility in Fairfax, all of my procedures were done by doctors other than mine. We also think it is important to note that at the time of our contract signing, the shared risk was only for those 38 and younger, making me at 39 ineligible to participate. Three weeks after treatment began, they updated the program to include 39-40, but did not make us aware of the upcoming changes.
Because I was 39, I was ineligible for their shared-risk program. Our insurance doesn't cover infertility so we paid everything out of pocket. Precycle costs (hysterosalpingogram, sperm testing, genetic testing, blood hormone tests, etc): At least $2,000 2 cycles, unlimited transfers: $18,500 (we only had 1 transfer) $5,000 PGS for up to 6 embryos (we only tested 1 embryo) Sedated transfer: $500 Discounted medications for 2 cycles around $12,000
5 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Other, Unexplained
5 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Other, Unexplained
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
I am in Virginia Beach. I go to the Rockville, Maryland location for treatments. Dr. Levens was at this location when I first started treatments but has moved. Although my treatments are remote, I still can call him anytime I have any questions. He calls and checks in on me to see if I have any questions. I monitor outside of Shady Grove but when we were pregnant last and was having heavy bleeding. Dr. Levens asked we go to his clinic so he can personally do our sonogram. I am happy with Dr. Levens. He is a great doctor. Too bad he is not in Virginia Beach. Shady Grove is worth the travel.
Do research and trust the process.
Like a human bc show they care. Communicated. Easy to get a hold of my nurse or doctor. Took time with me.
We started with progesterone vaginal inserts and progesterone injections. Then, we moved to progesterone injections and was able to have implantation. As for estrogen, we started we just injections, second cycle we added estrogen vaginal inserts twice a day and now, inserts are up to three times a day. The change to estrogen have increase the uterine lining before implantation and increase of progesterone injections dosage have decrease bleeding after transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Vivian Oseni)
She’ll answer questions, has patience, you are able to contact her via email or phone and always returns call/email same day.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Very modern, professional, clean. Has their process down. At the beginning of the process, Shady Grove set you up for a coordinator for financial, embryo, office, nurse- all parties which specialized in their reapected areas to help you to navigate when the process starts.
$25,000 donor egg, risk share program.
Doctor was very careful about the amt of embryo we can transfer. He educated us to the possible risk for the baby and mom with multiple embryos. The 1st cycle, we transfer one. The 2nd cycle, two embryos bc we asked. I am glad although he prefers one embryo because we asked for two, he was open to our decision.
Rockville
Dr. Levens is a great doctor who is to the point, yet in a caring way, and has a background in research. We never felt like he didn't know what he was doing. He called us a few times during the stimulation phase of our cycle to give us updates, or see if we had any questions.... Dr. Levens started us on the protocol we wanted. During the stimualtions he adjusted the dosages as needed. In general SGF does not really do out of the box protocols, they do take a more cookie cutter type approach for protocols.
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
Make a list of questions, discuss any doubts you have with Dr. Levens.
Dr. Levens is very personal and caring. If you have any questions about why he is doing something, just ask, he will explain it in detail. SGF sees a lot of patients and yet the care still feels personal.
Dr. Levens started us on the protocol we wanted. During the stimualtions he adjusted the dosages as needed. In general SGF does not really do out of the box protocols, they do take a more cookie cutter type approach for protocols. However, this doesn't mean it can't work.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Sarah)
Sarah our IVF coordinator was great. She replies to emails and calls very promptly and gets to the point. The monitoring in the morning was fairly orgainized and quick. There were a few hiccups but nothing major at all.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
SGF does use a cookie cutter approach for their protocols. Nothing is outside of the box. SGF is a large clinic, but we didn't really ever feel like we are just a number there. The Fairfax office was great!
Well run - a few hiccups but nothing to complain about.
There are many options at SGF and they use "global" fees, which is nice because monitoring is included in this. They have a single cycle package, and multi-cycle package, and a shared risk program.
Fairfax
I have nothing bad to say about Dr Levens. Everything about him is what you look for in a doctor for sensitive treatment such as this. He is soft spoken, kind, informative, reads patients well so understands when there’s hesitation and doesn’t push, he’s super knowledgeable and and trustworthy.... We had unexplained infertility, so we weren’t terribly agressive with the treatments. I was on birth control for 3 weeks, then stimulated meds for about another 3, retrieved 10 mature eggs, only 4 fertilized, and only 2 graded high enough for transfer or freezing.
European, Middle Eastern
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
Don’t be afraid to ask any questions you have because he will answer everything!!
I never felt like a number to Dr Levens. He always recognized me by name when passing me by in the clinic, he was incredibly caring and always looking out for our best interest and what we were hoping to achieve. He was incredibly patient and explained everything in detail because I like a lot of information.
We had unexplained infertility, so we weren’t terribly agressive with the treatments. I was on birth control for 3 weeks, then stimulated meds for about another 3, retrieved 10 mature eggs, only 4 fertilized, and only 2 graded high enough for transfer or freezing. Levens recommenced any future retrievals we will do ICSI to increase odds for fertilization. Levens also recommended transferring only one embryo for the first cycle, because there wasn’t any reason to believe implantation was an issue, and chances of twins drastically increased with the transfer of two embryos. The first fresh cycle, I transferred one, which resulted in a Live birth Singleton, and the second frozen embryo I am currently 33 weeks pregnant with no complications. The second was a frozen embryo transfer, and everything went very smoothly, birth control for 3 weeks, then progesterone in oil for a couple more weeks plus vaginal suppository of estridol pills. Continued with a few more weeks of PIO after positive beta, and then finished last few weeks with vaginal suppository of endometrin.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
The nursing staff was a hit or miss. I prefer more information. Over less, and it was sometimes tough getting all the information needed, and in the timeline needed. Also there was a quick expansion at the office, so I got shuffled around to various nurses which was tough. Dr Levens was my doctor throughout, but the nurses changed a few times, sometimes not having a nurse assigned at all, and that was hard to get information sometimes, like protocol, prescriptions, timing for meds, random questions, etc.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
There was a bit of quick expansion at the clinic, and a disconnect with the clinical office and billing, so while things USED TO work like a well oiled machine, in 2018 all that stopped and things were pretty chaotic. I was glad to have had treatment prior to their expansion because I got great service then, but now it’s tough and I hope they work out their kinks soon.
The costs included treatment only, I purchased meds separately.
3 IUI, IVF, Embryo Freezing
3 IUI, IVF, Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
During what is a very stressful time, Dr Levens was always candid but caring and compassionate. He gave us positive and negative feedback and it was always welcome. I felt very comfortable with him. He was always encouraging and was direct when I told him about the things I had read on the internet. He was never condescending or rude. I truly feel as though he is on this journey with us.
You won’t always see Dr Levens at every appointment but at the big ones you will (IUI, follow ups). He stayed late with us one evening to answer all our questions. He truly cares about his patients.
He has a very gentle bedside manner. When we got pregnant he was genuinely so happy for us. When we lost our baby he was so empathetic and caring.
We have undergone 3 IUI cycles with two cancelled cycles due to over stimulation. When I responded too well, he adjusted my clomid dosage (from 75 to 50mg). We were able to get pregnant with our last IUI cycle but unfortunately lost the baby at 8.5 weeks. Dr Levens was at the appointment where we learned there was no longer a heartbeat. That was our last IUI as Dr Levens thought that too many IUI cycles with clomid would thin my lining. Now we are moving onto IVF with PGS testing as I respond well to clomid but had troubles getting pregnant/ keeping a pregnancy. He felt that because I was creating a good number of follicles, and because the baby we miscarried had chromosomal abnormalities that PGS would be a good option for us to determine which embryo would be the healthiest.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Lisha Tolbert, Sarah Conron )
We had a change in nurses as one left for personal reasons. Our new nurse is very nice and I’m still getting to know her (and she’s still getting to know us). I thought I might have a thyroid issue (based on terrible internetting) and she without question added it to my bloodwork to appease me. The nurses who do the bloodwork are all very gentle and nice. I think they must know I experienced a miscarriage and now that when I get my blood drawn to see the HCG levels are going down, they’re very delicate with me.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I really like that you don’t feel like a cog in the machine. The Annandale office has moved to fairfax just a mile or two away and their surgical facility has opened which makes things much more convenient (you won’t necessarily have to go to Rockville anymore).
I’m very lucky that so far my insurance has covered all IUI. My husband’s insurance will cover our ivf.
Fairfax
I had the most amazing experience with Doctor Levens, and I truly have no complaints at all about him. He made you feel like you were the only patient, he made sure you were getting the most recent research-based practice, and he was amazing at individualizing our care based on our needs.... Dr. Levens met with my husband and I on his lunch break to help us. We saw him almost every appointment, and when we weren’t going to see him, he let us know ahead of time and gave us the option to reschedule if timing permitted. He gave us every single detail we needed to know and answered all of our questions perfectly. He made sure we fully understood our options before doing anything....
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
I had the most amazing experience with Doctor Levens, and I truly have no complaints at all about him. He made you feel like you were the only patient, he made sure you were getting the most recent research-based practice, and he was amazing at individualizing our care based on our needs. The only thing I could maybe think of—not about the doctor, but about the clinic— is that they are a very large clinic and have lots of patients. Our first two transfers that we did, we were unable to have Dr Levens do them because of timing, BUT we were given the option to wait until our doctor was available, which was very nice. We chose to trust the other doctors for our first two transfers, who were still awesome, and made us feel very comfortable— although they were unsuccessful. We chose to wait and have doctor Levens do our third transfer—which was successful— but it was awesome to have the option to wait, or continue treatment. IVF is all about timing, and they truly do the best they can to have your doctor at everything, and when they can’t be there, they make sure to communicate with you, and follow up immediately. They are amazing at giving you all the facts and allowing you to choose what you feel is the best plan of care for you.
Use him!! Ask him all the questions you can. He is super knowledgeable and research-based, so he will give you the best possible care! When a cycle was unsuccessful, he laid out every possibility and tweaked something he felt would improve outcomes. He was the perfect mix of brutally honest and personable.
So many reasons. He was AMAZING. Dr. Levens met with my husband and I on his lunch break to help us. We saw him almost every appointment, and when we weren’t going to see him, he let us know ahead of time and gave us the option to reschedule if timing permitted. He gave us every single detail we needed to know and answered all of our questions perfectly. He made sure we fully understood our options before doing anything. He gave us factual information and cited it, so we knew it was the most recent research findings. He celebrated with us, and grieved with us. He got back to our emails as soon as possible, even after hours. When it was time for our trigger injection, I was at work and my husband was at work, and the medication was at home. There was no way I could have made it back in time for the injection, and Dr. Levens drove to my work to drop off the extra medication he had at his office so it didn’t ruin my cycle. This was all after hours! I had a moment in my pregnancy when I thought I was miscarrying, and Dr Levens saw me the morning I called him and he made sure I was able to get an ultrasound as soon as possible. I can go on and on about how amazing he treats his patients.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Sarah Conron)
She was amazing. Every time I called, she answered all the questions I had. If she wasn’t sure about something, she would get back to me immediately once she found out. She was very compassionate and knowledgeable! She had been through fertility treatment herself, which I felt helped a ton!
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Strengths- they make you feel like you are the only person there. They worked so well with your schedule and preferences. The workers were so sweet and supportive. Weaknesses- Very large clinic, so they see lots of patients, which makes it crowded. Even though it was crowded, they were very efficent.
Fairfax
Any fears, he [Dr. Levens] would talk me through...We were not comfortable with a newer medication, and therefore traded that out for a more tried and true medication. He heard our comments and concerns about various plans and made adjustements with us...Dr. Levens always helds a calm & gentle demeanor. He spoke with gentleness & compassion. He always acknowledged me in the office (even outside of a patient room.) He never made our time feel rushed, he was extremely thorough, answered all my questions with patience.
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Levens always spoke in the most gentle and compassionate manor. We felt like we were walking into an old friends office the first time we met him. He was so kind, and that never wavered during our time with him. He listened and gently asked questions. He was extremely thorough in explaining my diagnosis, helping us understand the medical rationale for our infertility. Every step of the way, he would meet with us to review our plan, listen to any concerns and even adjust our plan based off our combined communication. I was always able to have a conversation with him, whether in the office, or over the phone. A handful of times my nurse set up a phone call with him, so I was able to discuss my fears or questions. Knowing he was accessible along the journey, was significant to me. He rejoiced with us in our two pregnancies, and I was sad to "graduate" from him both times we were with him! I couldn't recommend him more.
Communicate communicate communicate. He is the doctor, and a wonderful, wise one at that, but this is your journey too. We were not comfortable with a newer medication, and therefore traded that out for a more tried and true medication. He heard our comments and concerns about various plans and made adjustements with us. Any fears, he would talk me through. But any doctor doesn't know to discuss or help if those things aren't communicated!
Dr. Levens always helds a calm & gentle demeanor. He spoke with gentleness & compassion. He always acknowledged me in the office (even outside of a patient room.) He never made our time feel rushed, he was extremely thorough, answered all my questions with patience. He listened to concerns and would work with us & any concerns to adjust our treatment as we went through each cycle. I couldn't have asked for more, he was fantastic.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Danielle kelly)
Very communicative, compassionate & fun. To me, personally, this was a helpful element through the process of high stress
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
They were Organized, extremely helpful, and easy to work with. It is a large organization, but this element I loved, they knew what they were doing. There was no reinventing the wheel! I could always call and get through to the proper department, they would solve insurance & medication problems for me, rather han tasking me with phone calls & problem solving.
I don't remember specifics enough to break it down.
Anovulation, Male Factor
When my IVF cycle later resulted in a chemical pregnancy, he [Dr. Eric Levens] personally called to give me the sad news and encourage me to remain hopeful about moving forward to frozen embryo transfer. He understands the emotional toll of fertility treatment, and conveys information in an honest yet caring manner that demonstrates his respect and concern for each patient as an individual...Eric Levens is the best doctor I've ever worked with. He takes his time during appointments, genuinely cares, explains things thoroughly, and instills confidence that he is an expert in his field and will do all that he can to help his patients succeed. I feel fortunate to have him directing my treatment during a long and emotionally difficult fertility journey.
Anovulation, Male Factor
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Levens' schedule can fill up quickly, so if you are hoping to begin treatment within a certain timeframe, don't wait until the last minute to make an appointment. Prepare your questions in advance, and take full advantage of your consultation time. While your treatment plan will likely depend upon the outcome of initial diagnostic testing, it helps to go in with a general understanding of the treatment options available and financial commitment for each.
While many doctors don't make themselves readily available or communicate well with patients, Dr. Levens does. Whenever I was in the office for a monitoring appointment, he would take the time to say hello and ask how I was doing. He was quick to call me back whenever I had a question or concern, and within half an hour of my egg retrieval surgery, Dr. Levens was already on the phone with me, making sure I was OK and reporting the number of eggs retrieved/how many of them were mature. When my IVF cycle later resulted in a chemical pregnancy, he personally called to give me the sad news and encourage me to remain hopeful about moving forward to frozen embryo transfer. He understands the emotional toll of fertility treatment, and conveys information in an honest yet caring manner that demonstrates his respect and concern for each patient as an individual.
We started out using the lowest tech and most affordable options available. My first IUI involved the use of Clomid. The second, a combination of Clomid and injections, and the third, injections only. After it became obvious that we would need to move on to IVF, Dr. Levens implemented an antagonist protocol and recommended ICSI instead of traditional IVF due to some specimen-related inconsistencies on my husband's end. Sure enough, it ended up being a good thing we opted for ICSI, since otherwise, we would have ended up with a very low fertilization rate. In the end, we had 15 eggs retrieved and five embryos that made it to the five-day blastocyst stage.
My primary nurse, Sarah, was incredibly well-organized and quick to respond whenever I had a question or needed a medication refilled. She made sure my medication orders were submitted to a pharmacy that would give me the best rate. She even provided some extra medication that had been donated by another patient when I ended up needing more than anticipated. She was flexible in communicating either via email or phone, which I appreciated. Another nurse, Gail, who performed one of my IUIs and some of my ultrasounds, was also friendly and funny, making me laugh and helping me relax, even when I was stressed.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove's Annandale and Rockville offices both run like well-oiled machines, and most everyone we've encountered has been friendly and helpful. Wait times can vary, depending upon how busy things are that day, but are typically not excessive.
I had no insurance coverage beyond the initial diagnostic testing, doctor consultations and some basic medication (birth control pills, for example). Each of my IUIs cost about $1,500-$2,500. For IVF, I was able to enroll in the Shared Risk program, which provides up to six fresh IVF rounds and unlimited frozen embryo transfers for a refundable fee of $20,000+. Medication costs were, on average, $500 for IUI and $3,000 for IVF.
Given my age and prognosis, Dr. Levens advocated for the transfer of a single embryo and the freezing of any remaining high-quality embryos. He made sure my husband and I were in agreement with this decision, and provided information about the risks associated with carrying twins.
20 Eggs Frozen
His [Dr. Eric Levens] strengths were in knowledge and communication. He does a great job making the science relevant to your condition. It was comforting to know that he previously worked at NIH and understands all the protocols that went into the development of the definition for PCOS. He is very knowledgeable in working with patients who has PCOS. His area of improvement could be in being more responsive to phone calls.
20 Eggs Frozen
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
His strengths were in knowledge and communication. He does a great job making the science relevant to your condition. It was comforting to know that he previously worked at NIH and understands all the protocols that went into the development of the definition for PCOS. He is very knowledgeable in working with patients who has PCOS. His area of improvement could be in being more responsive to phone calls.
Do your own research on your genetic background by using a test like 23andme
He was very personable from the moment we starting talking. He did an introduction of himself and his background. He then explained my test results and whether I am a good candidate for egg retrieval. I felt very informative walking away from the initial consultation and moving forward to the egg retrieval.
I used oral contraceptives and low dosage antagonists through the 6-week process. I have PCOS and am under the age of 35 so I was fine using the lower dosage. The reason why we used this strategy is to avoid OHS. The end results was extraction of 30 eggs, of which 20 were frozen.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Layluma)
She was very helpful and knowledge. She always called me back to answer my questions.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
This clinic is very pricey. Looking back, I would have saved up money before this procedure so that it was more affordable and less of a financial burden. Although it was pricey, it was worth the money. The main strength was in the expertise of the staff members. Dr. Levens was excellent and very professional.
For me, it was about $15,000 with all the costs the medication
I was sufficiently educated about embryo transfer. I plan to do the transfer in the next several years.
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
He [Dr Eric Levens] told me how likely it was that I could get pregnant with my own eggs and said he wouldn't be able to sleep at night if he let us attempt it as it wouldn't work and we'd spend a ton of money. He gave me a less than 1% chance, so we decided to move to donor egg. Everyone I know who's his patient is thrilled with him....He is super compassionate. He always calls back if you email him and answers all your questions. He is apologetic when giving bad news and excited when giving good news. He's honestly just a really nice person on top of being an excellent doctor.
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Levens is kind and soft spoken but he tells it like it is. He's up front about options and timelines but willing to work around his patients' desires. He told me how likely it was that I could get pregnant with my own eggs and said he wouldn't be able to sleep at night if he let us attempt it as it wouldn't work and we'd spend a ton of money. He gave me a less than 1% chance, so we decided to move to donor egg. Everyone I know who's his patient is thrilled with him.
He's wonderful. You can cry in front of him or be joyful with him.
For a fresh transfer I had kupron injections, birth control pills, estrogen, estrace, and progesterone. He adjusted when my lining had fluid in it and cancelled the transfer. For a frozen transfer I had the pill, estrogen injections, and progesterone injections.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Pam Collins)
Pam is very sweet and kind. She often responded to email the same day I contacted her and we would email back and forth.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Administrative stuff was a pain at the beginning. There are lots of different people to meet. My financial person seemed to be out of the office every time I needed her, but someone else always helped me. The donor coordinators were great and annoying depending on the person.
I did the shared risk program. We paid $39,000 for 6 donors and all frozen transfers. If we quit we get the money back. We only pay for meds now and co pays for diagnostics.
Fairfax
Dr. Levins nice, but could be maybe a little bit more personable at times though.... he's good at explaining and drawing, he's nice, but we couldn't really feel a real connection to him. we got more attached to the coordinating nurse than to him, honestly. He is professional, he was there when he could during a procedure, but I don't know... we just couldn't find a spark. we're switching to a different clinic and hope to find a doctor that can help us get pregnant.
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
Be very clear what your goals are and don't be afraid to tell him if you want to jump straight to IVF. We regret not doing so and wasting lots of time and money on other procedures.
we tried timed intercourse, we did all tests on me and husband, we did also hysterscopy, we did hysterosalpingogram, we tested semen, done blood work, genetic testing ... we tried clomid and femara... we were diagnosed with "unexplained infertility", and didn't manage to get pregnant with what we tried unfortunately.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Layluma Hotaki)
Ms. Layluma Hotaki was a genuinely caring, war person, we loved having her as our coordinator.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic is very modern and they have top of the art offices, technology and so on... but they are extremely expensive and one of the reasons we won't be continuing with Shady Grove is because we won't be able to afford them any longer. we'd love to... but don't have the resources any more. In the conditions that now a days insurances cover zero to nothing for infertility treatments, it's just outrageous how they take advantage of patient's desperate wish to conceive. There are other more affordable options outside Virginia and we'll look into that.
lost track, sorry
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Other
Dr. Levens always took the time to personally call and explain everything in detail. Whenever I would see him in the office during my monitoring appointments he would stop what he was doing to say hello and ask how I was...Dr. Levens will ease fears and explain things in a way that make sense. He moves swiftly and didn't waste our time but he also made sure we were doing everything we needed to do to be prepared. He was willing to go the extra mile to investigate genetic issues on our embryos and additional chromosomal testing when it became apparent that I had some funky issues on my eggs. Dr. Levens called me almost everyday after my egg retrieval to check in and after my D&C...
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Other
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Levens knows reproductive endocrinology so well. He is so knowledgeable and thorough. The first time we went in for our consolation appointment my husband was adamant that we were not agreeing to anything - we would simply go and listen. Within 15 minutes of talking to Dr. Levens my husband took out his credit card and asked where do we sign to get started. Dr. Levens will ease fears and explain things in a way that make sense. He moves swiftly and didn't waste our time but he also made sure we were doing everything we needed to do to be prepared. He was willing to go the extra mile to investigate genetic issues on our embryos and additional chromosomal testing when it became apparent that I had some funky issues on my eggs. Dr. Levens called me almost everyday after my egg retrieval to check in and after my D&C. He cried with me when we found out my baby was not going to live. He personally called to give me the embryo thaw update leading up to my FET. Dr. Levens takes the time to give patients the extra touch that so many don't receive these days.
GO to him! I have referred so many friends to him.
Dr. Levens always took the time to personally call and explain everything in detail. Whenever I would see him in the office during my monitoring appointments he would stop what he was doing to say hello and ask how I was. He was very thorough with his approach. what we thought was a straight-forward infertility problem ended up being a lot more complicated and Dr. Levens made sure to check every box.
We started with a very standard IUI as we thought we were solely dealing with male factor issues. Our male factor issues ended up being worse than we thought and because of my insurance coverage it made sense to go right to IVF with ICSI to better our chances of conceiving. I had a standard protocol for egg retrieval and everything went great. We ended up with 5 perfect embryos - 1 we transferred fresh and 4 frozen. I got pregnant from the fresh transfer but learned at 7 weeks the baby was not developing correctly. Dr. Levens gave it some time (5 days) before providing me my options - D&C, wait out the miscarriage, or a pill. We opted for the D&C so we could genetically test the baby and find out what happened. The results opened a door we never imagined - chromosomal issues on my eggs that no one thought of. Dr. Levens suggested we PGS test our remaining embryos while we let my body heal from the hormones and miscarriage. Again we never suspected issues but sure enough - 3 of the 4 embryos were abnormal with multiple chromosomal issues - all of them consistently having issues on chromosome 16 like the baby that passed. We were left with one normal embryo and the decision was to move forward with a FET. I had my FET at the end of last year and it has resulted in a healthy pregnancy which I am carrying to term.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Sarah Condron )
I can't say enough kind things about Sarah. She has listened to me vent, cry, sob, go crazy, you name it. She's so organized and on top of things. Responds to emails and phone calls right away and always takes the time to thoroughly discuss details with me. I miss her!!
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The biggest weakness is that they open at 6:45am but the staff is almost never on time. I would always pick the earliest appointments and end up waiting forever!
Well I got super lucky and my insurance covered 90-95% of my fertility costs.
2012 - 2015
Dr. Levens was always available when I had questions, and always answered them candidly and honestly. He returned my phone calls himself, never passing me off to the nurse or another member of the medical team. He was extremely empathetic and had a terrific "bedside manner." He made great efforts to make sure I always understood what was going on with my treatment. He was a great help to me in processing potentially moving on to donor egg IVF, always with great empathy and sensitivity.
2012 - 2015
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
I felt as though i was in very good hands with Dr. Levens. In addition to having utmost confidence in his professional competence and medical expertise, I felt very safe emotionally under his care. He has a wonderful ability at helping patients understand their treatment protocol and why he recommends what he does.
Do your homework and ask questions. Meet him halfway. I'd recommend this for any doctor. He's there to make sure you understand everything that is happening.
IUI #1: September 2012 50 mg clomid, days 3-7. Chemical Pregnancy. IUI #2: October 2012 50 mg clomid, days 3-7. Negative IUI #3: January 2013: 100 mg clomid days 3-7, 75 IU Bravelle, days 5-7. Negative IUI #4: March 2013: 100 mg clomid days 3-7, 75 IU Bravelle days 5-10. Positive, pregnancy and live birth IUI #5 (trying for second child) April 2015: 100 mg clomid days 3-7, 75 IU Gonal F days 5-7, 150 IU Gonal F days 8-15 Negative IUi #6: August 2015: 100 mg clomid days 3-7, 75 IU Gonal F days 5-7. Negative IUI #7: October 2015: 100 mg clomid days 3-7, 75 IU Gonal F days 5-8. Cycle was cancelled, no IUI performed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Pam Cash and Mary Hartman)
For my first round of IUIs in 2012/13, Pam Cash was my nurse. I loved her knowledge, enthusiasm and compassion. For my second round of IUIs in 2015, Mary Hartman was my nurse. it was obvious Mary was a veteran fertility nurse, she was extremely knowledgeable, organized, responsive, professional and a lovely person.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove is on top of it! They are on a mission to get their patients pregnant! While it was crowded and they obviously treat lots of patients, I never felt like I was just a number. Everyone always had time for me and my questions, and was extremely professional and responsive. it does get crowded sometimes, and so sometimes there is a long wait time in the waiting room for appointments. That could get a little annoying.
Global IUI fee: $1600 plus medication
did not have these procedures.
2012 - 2014
1 IUI, 4 IVF, Donor Eggs
Anovulation, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. Levens took incrdible care of me. I can’t explain how compassionate of a doctor he is. At my lowest and loneliest, Dr. Levens assured me over and over again that he would be with me every step of the way during my lengthy IVF journey. I would send everyone to Dr. Levens. He is absolutely incredible.... Dr. Levels was incredible. He was compassionate, honest, knowledgeable. He was with me every step of the way and told me over and over that he wasn’t going anywhere whenever he had bad news. Dr. Levens took the time to call me personally regarding my embryo development before his appointments started each day, which was something nurses would typically do.
2012 - 2014
1 IUI, 4 IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
He is the most amazing doctor, and anyone would know that by being his patient. However, he probably won’t do all the monitoring, egg retrievals, and embryo transfers. Because of the clinic’s business model, patients don’t always see their doctors for these appointments/procedures. That didn’t bother me too much because the doctors who cared for me were also amazing.
Dr. Levels was incredible. He was compassionate, honest, knowledgeable. He was with me every step of the way and told me over and over that he wasn’t going anywhere whenever he had bad news. Dr. Levens took the time to call me personally regarding my embryo development before his appointments started each day, which was something nurses would typically do. Because my case was so odd (youth, large egg quantity, poor egg quality) it seemed like Dr. Levens gave me more one-on-one time to “solve” my case. The day he finally got to perform my six-week ultrasound for my DE IVF twins, he was very compassionate and very delighted to see two heartbeats. He even did an extra ultrasound for me before I graduated. 20 weeks later, and several months after I’d graduated from his care, Dr. Levens called me when I was hospitalized for pre-eclampsia. Dr. Levens is my favorite doctor.
I don’t remember too well the strategies and rationales but for a few IVF cycles. My first fresh cycle was a standard protocol; nothing special from what I remember. My next cycle, an FET, was also standard. My third cycle, a fresh cycle, was pretty standard as well. My fourth cycle, third fresh cycle, was monitored by Dr. Levens and his colleague at NIH. They actually put me on a very unique protocol where I started stims after ovulation, but I didn’t ovulate so they mimicked my luteal phase with Provera. Then we waited for Day 1, then did the traditional stim cycle. For my fifth cycle, and fourth fresh, I was on the Depot Lipton for two months. My stim cycle was perfect, and I also used HGH. Because my doctor was very familiar with my history, he allowed me to stim for an extra day or so to hopefully mature as many follicles as possible. I always produced a lot of eggs, but my egg quality was very poor given my young age.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Mary Hartman and Pamela Collins)
Mary Hartman was my nurse during my IVF cycles with my eggs. Pamela Collins was my nurse during my donor egg cycle. Mary was so compassionate and helped me during discouragement or anxiety. Mary was there for me always. Pamela was also amazing; she was more business-like, and did not have experience with my prior five failed cycles. She did not understand my anxiety as much, but she was still amazing.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Their quality of care of excellent. Their financial programs are very accommodating given the unfortunate circumstances surrounding the cost of IVF. Their business/care model is dependable, efficient, and organized. This didn’t really bother me, but a weakness for some may be that your doctor doesn’t always perform all your procedures.
$20k (but we received a discount due to our income) for six IVF cycles, and if you did not give birth to a live baby you got all your money back. If you withdrew from the program prior to six cycles, you got all your money back. This price did not include medications. They also partnered with a fertility loan company (which we used). I withdrew after five cycles and got all my money back. For my donor egg cycle, we enrolled in a program that cost $35k total (including medications) for six cycles. Again, it was a money-back guarantee if you did not give birth or withdrew from the program. We shared a donor with two other recipients, and if you did not receive eggs during a cycle (due to being the third recipient or something) that cycle did not count against your count.
My doctor followed the eSET process when it made sense, and he transferred multiple embryos when it made sense for me and my egg retrieval outcomes.
1 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Levens is an amazing man and doctor. He cares soooo much! I am so glad that I have him on my team. I feel so lucky.... Dr. Levens is truly one of a kind! It has been such a long and rough road, we had a miscarriage 6 days ago. Things have been really hard but when Dr. Levens told us there was no heart beat at 8 weeks you could tell how sorry he was for us. This whole process is so scary but I know Dr. Levens has our best interest in hand.
1 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Levens level of caring is beyond what we could ask for. I am so happy with him and my nurse. The other staff is amazing too. Dr. Levens is truly one of a kind! It has been such a long and rough road, we had a miscarriage 6 days ago. Things have been really hard but when Dr. Levens told us there was no heart beat at 8 weeks you could tell how sorry he was for us. This whole process is so scary but I know Dr. Levens has our best interest in hand.
It has been a long journey for us- and I hope its not for you but just trust in the process and stay strong! Cry and yell when you need too. Take care of yourself. Dr. Levens cares he really does!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Mary! )
I LOVE MARY!!!! She is like family now. So lucky to have her. Truly amazing!
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Strengths- everyone really does care! They offer everything you need in one location which is amazing. Weakness- billing/insurance! Stay on top of everything!!!!! The community is great, lots of people to feel connected too and also the office is very new and clean which is amazing.
It was very easy! Sometimes you waited but for the most part it was in and out. Made it a little better trying to get to work. They do a great job!
I am not sure, it been so much money. Each appointment seems like its at least $200 and that does not include meds. There have been many tears when dealing with the money part.
I am happy that he suggested eSET...he said it was our choice but felt strongly about one for our situation.
Fairfax
I absolutely love Dr. Levens. He has the experience and compassion. He guided us in our decision with treatment plans and made us feel like we were his only patient. Dr Levens far exceeded our expectations....I felt like Dr. Leven's has our best interest in mind. Never felt like a number and would highly recommend him.... For the first try with IUI we did letrozole 7.5 mg which resulted in negative. We then added ovidrel with the letrozole of 7.5 which was also negative. We are now midcycle with letrozole 7.5, gonal f and ovidrel. If this results in negative we'll be moving onto IVF.
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
Take notes, it's a lot of good and useful information.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Mary Hartman )
Mary who is our assigned nurse is wonderful. Between her and Dr. Levens we feel like we're in the best hands.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Its a very well run clinic which I really like. The only issue I've had has been with the financial team in not getting back to you or billing incorrectly. Being self pay is tough but I still felt that the financial department lacked compassion.
My insurance covered the initial appointement where I only had to pay a co-pay. After that our insurance covers nothing so we have to pay out of pocket for IUI, IVF, meds etc. IUI treatments are $1800 before meds and I believe IVF starts at $11k.
No opinion as we haven't gone to IVF yet
Anovulation, Other
Dr. Levens was kind, understanding, and compassionate about the stresses we were going through to start a family. He was soft spoken during our initial meeting, stayed calm and listened when I explained all my worries, concerns, and fears. He evaluated the lab results I had already had done and that I was concerned about.... He was concerned about my husbands genetic disease. He did follow up by phone call and provided potential steps for process.
Anovulation, Other
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
He is nice and kind but make sure all your questions are answered before leaving his office.
Dr. Levens is very nice and soft spoken. He was concerned about my husbands genetic disease. He did follow up by phone call and provided potential steps for process.
Our first steps were to get all blood work for each my husband and I, have my husband do a semen analysis, blood work for specific dates of my cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
The nursing team was hard to get a hold of at times due to the holidays but otherwise I was able to get most of the information I have needed when I was a patient but once moving out of state it has been harder to get the information I have requested of my previous lab results.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove is clean, organized, and well managed. It is a scary process so feel confident in your hopes and dreams! The clinic does have several clinic locations that you can get blood work done if your primary doctor is not close to your house. They have weekend hours to get the blood work done in a timely manor.
We coordinated with the billing team and they provided several payment options for IVF. As well as options for the number of cycles we could choose.
unable to provide comment.
1 IUI, 5 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Male Factor, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
Dr Levens gives you all of his attention when meeting and takes a personal interest in his patients...Dr Levens is very research focused and sometimes conservative on whether he thinks the latest "trend" or study has validity. However, he is always willing to try it anyway as long there is not any harm to me. I come to our appointments with a list and he goes through each question with detail. He is compassionate and bright and even though I am not pregnant after a very long ride, I am very thankful to have him as my doctor...
1 IUI, 5 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Male Factor, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
communicate what you would like and always be your own patient advocate (I would say this for any doctor)
Gosh, I don't really remember. Cycle #2: 225 gonal and 75 menopur with pills and 1 week on Lupron Cycle #3: Lupron 1 week, 225 gonal f, 150 menopur Cycle #4: menopur only (150 in morning and 150 at night) Cycle #5: human grown hormone, 225 gonal f, 75 menopur
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Mary Hartman and Pam Collins)
Mary became my cheerleader and friend. She was a huge comfort when things didn't go well and a wonderful clinican always advocating for me
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
While my Doctor and nurse never made me feel like a number, anytime I had to go to Rockville for a procedure, I felt like a number. The staff at Annandale office is amazing. They don't make you ever feel like a number, but where you go for retrievals and transfers do at times
We had 50% coverage and paid around $4000 each cycle.
Fairfax
I think Dr Levens is one of the best doctors I have seen at Shady Grove. I just wish I had seen him earlier because my situation could have ended differently. He is very willing to try new protocols and it is evident he is up to date on current research....Shady Grove while very efficient is not always the best in treating you for your specific concerns. And at times it can be difficult to get them to go outside current process.
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
Ask questions and be forthright on what it is you want. Let the doctors know you want more than 1 child of it is feasible or if you are more interested in just getting through the process quickly to have a child. This can mean something very different in what type of protocol you want to use (frozen versus fresh transfer).
Dr Levens actually listened to me as a patient, and he explained issues is detail to better help me understand the issues. He is very technical and had great bedside manner.
He used an antagonist protocol which helped me to produce more eggs than previously. It as not something my previous doctor tried.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Mary Hartman)
Mary Hartman was great. She was very organized and helpful.
IVF, Donor Eggs
He [Dr. Levens] took his time to know Me and my husband first then proceed to talk about the treatment options. He was really understanding and caring...He takes his time to know you and your partner first before even getting to the medical treatment. His understanding and takes his time explaining everything and answers any questions you have about the treatment. He will call you if you can’t make it to your appointment and keep in touch with you through out the process.
Latino, Other
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
Aslways ask questions and never hold back
He took his time to know Me and my husband first then proceed to talk about the treatment options. He was really understanding and caring
He started me with estrogen patch and provera pills. Soon I will start the progesterone shots
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Bonsita seabrooks)
They are all amazing people and that you like family.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Great place to feel like they are there for you and always go above and beyond to make sure you are getting the best options and treatment. Appointments are always available when you need them even on weekends. The staff is really nice and always happy to help
Currently waiting but it will be around 30k
He suggested that i would only transfer one embryo because of my small size
Annapolis
Anovulation, Male Factor, Unexplained
Dr Levens took the time to personally call me after hours to discuss treatment and concerns. I felt like he took the time to understand me treated me like a valued individual....Dr. Levens is very kind and easy to talk to. At my last appointment to discuss ivf, I came prepared wirh a list of many questions. He took the time to answer every single question and did not rush me at all.
European, Latino, Black or African-American
Anovulation, Male Factor, Unexplained
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
Have your questions ready so you don't forget and leave with unanswered questions.
We did a standard iui cycle with Clomid for 5 days and a trigger shot on day 11. Iui was performed on day 13.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Mary)
Mary is great. She is compassionate when things don't work out and replies to e-mails promptly. It is difficult to reach her by phone.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
They are a friendly clinic, but can get very busy. It is very difficult to get a hold of anyone by phone.
I paid $1600 for one round of iui.
Dr. Levens strongly prefers one embryo transfer at a time.
2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing, 2 Embryo Freezing
Dr Levens is amazing. I think hes gotten pretty busy. It is hard to get appointments with him sometimes. Hes very calm and kind. Does a great job of explaining everything. I feel he was trustworthy and truly wants the best for his patients...He was kind, he remembered me and my history...Let him know what your expectations are. He will be honest and let you know reality.
2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing, 2 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
He was kind, he remembered me and my history.
The nurses are great. They are your middle man. Everything goes through them.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Its pretty busy. Especially on weekends for monitoring. The clinic is still great though, worth it.
The hours are great. I could go in for monitoring and still get to work on time. The weekends were very busy and sometimes the wait times got a little long, but the assistants were working hard.
Since my insurance didnt really cover anything, I think it ended up costing me about $30K plus for 2 FETs with PGD. PRICEY
Dr levens was not pushy about eSET. He let me lead the way with my comfort
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr. Levens is very caring and thorough in explaining what to expect during the whole process. His bedside manners are impeccable. He is highly recommended...There was no time that we ever felt we were just a number. He wanted to ensure the best results...
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, PCOS
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Levens is very caring person. There was no time that we ever felt we were just a number. He wanted to ensure the best results.
Sarah was very good but tends to be cold at times, like she didn't know what to say when there was bad news. Sometimes she was late to follow-up and had to be nudged a little bit
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
This office is excellent. The receptionist group is excellent but very busy. Sometimes you have to wait a little bit for your appointments but expected as they are a very busy office, esp during the morning checkups.
The insurance covered most of it. We paid about $2k out of pocket, including storage of embryos and semen.
2012
2 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Dr levens explained each step of the process with candid success rates. During 1st pregnancy baby was diagnosed with Turners syndrome...Dr.Levens candidly counseled me on my options. He was the most thoughtful physician I've ever met. I believed he truly cared about me and my situation... He helped me understand the donor egg process, answered every email, called back with answers to all of my questions.
2012
2 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
Please see my previous response. Dr Levens was excellent, candid, and compassionate. He helped me understand the donor egg process, answered every email, called back with answers to all of my questions.
Ask many questions. He is willing to take the time to answer.
Dr levens explained each step of the process with candid success rates. During 1st pregnancy baby was diagnosed with Turners syndrome. (Most difficult time in my life). Dr.Levens candidly counseled me on my options. He was the most thoughtful physician I've ever met. I believed he truly cared about me and my situation.
I cannot remember specifics. I was on BC pills, Lupron, estrogen IM and Progestrone IM.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Joan Coleman )
Excellent.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Very organized. A well oiled machine. Saw patients from all over the world. I came from out of state because of the shared donor/shared risk program.
37k shared risk. If I didn't have a live pregnancy in six tries, I would receive my money back.
Given my age. And donor eggs, dr. Levels was quite emphatic on a eset
Fairfax
I highly recommend Dr Levens. He took the time to go over everything in great detail - diagnosis, treatment options, risks, etc. Appointments were never rushed. He spoke compassionately. He also took the time to personally respond to a message I left after hours as he wanted to ensure I was taken care of before he left the office for the day....I was very happy. Appointments ran on time. I never waited long for morning blood draws. Everyone was friendly and professional.
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
Trust his expertise but don't be afraid to ask questions.
Dr Levens always took the time to explain things, in detail and compassionately.
Lots of communication. My only complaint was in trying to get a quick answer to a question when my primary nurse was on vacation.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Level [Levens] constantly checked on us throughout our journey. He was open for all questions and communication that we had...Dr Levens described all of our risk and options that could possibly arise throughout the process.Dr.Levens also called before and after all surgeries and procedures to make sure all of our concerns and questions were answered ...The staff [at Shady Grove - Annandale] was overall well organized they made sure they were available for our calls or rescheduling appointments
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Tubal Blockage
To totally trust Dr.levens
Dr. Level constantly checked on us throughout our journey. He was open for all questions and communication that we had
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kelly)
The staff was overall well organized they made sure they were available for our calls or rescheduling appointments
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The office was well organized. They have no weaknesses that I can recall
I believe my cost totaled at about 8,000