6.2

Eric Levens works at

8501 Arlington Blvd., Suite 500
Fairfax, VA 22031
703.876.0735

Don’t wait too long because his [Dr. Eric Levens] appointments fill up fast...When the second transfer ended in another m/c, he suggested uterine septum removal before doing next transfer. This resulted in successful pregnancy. He made sure to do a extra ultrasound because initial HR was low. At this time he was realistic with us and therefore, we knew our chances. Thankfully it was successful and next an revealed higher HR...
When we had issues with our nurse [at Shady Grove] almost making a medication error and us calling to voice our concerns about her sloppiness with our care to office manger, he [Dr. Eric Levens] was the one who called us instead. He immediately switched our nurse and again made us feel at ease...their financial department is one of their worst departments. They are very wishy washy and not clear as to what you need to pay and what your paying for. We actually overpaid by a couple thousand and had to be reimbursed but I had to fight to get them to send the check and finally had to speak to financial manager. The coordinator I was assigned was terrible and I felt like I was constantly fighting to get in contact with her. When I did, I felt like she didn’t know what she was talking about and certainly wasn’t making things very clear.
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
He is very good at explaining the process, the good, bad, and ugly. He makes sure you leave his office understanding everything. Several times he called us himself after hours to check in on us whether it was after our retrieval, when I got OHSS, and after each of our losses. He is hard to schedule with because he is sought after which makes booking difficult but when you are able to see him, the wait is worth it.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
Schedule now. Don’t wait too long because his appointments fill up fast.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
He would call us on his way home from work. He explained everything in detail. When we had issues with our nurse almost making a medication error and us calling to voice our concerns about her sloppiness with our care to office manger, he was the one who called us instead. He immediately switched our nurse and again made us feel at ease. He was realistic with us and very thorough. He was personable and genuinely upset along with us when we list two out our first pregnancies.
Describe the protocols Eric Levens used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Lupron Antagonist Protocol. I produced 30 eggs. We did ICSI due to make factor. He suggested a frozen transfer due to me showing signs of OHSS, and my medical history. When the second transfer ended in another m/c, he suggested uterine septum removal before doing next transfer. This resulted in successful pregnancy. He made sure to do a extra ultrasound because initial HR was low. At this time he was realistic with us and therefore, we knew our chances. Thankfully it was successful and next an revealed higher HR.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Danielle Kelly)
To be honest she was disorganized from the start. She was very disconnected from the process and took forever to return our calls. At first, she was attentive to emailing but in reality she would read it seems the first paragraph of my email and then fail to answer the rest—so I would find myself having to email her several times to get answers to original email. The final straw was when she got the doses wrong for one of our transfer medications and almost compromised my lining being thick enough for our third transfer. I’m a nurse so I caught it. But we switched nurses after that to Mary. And she was a breath of fresh air.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Their front desk is sometimes clueless and it at times takes several times to get through. However, their after hours line is very responsive. I would keep on top of your financial responsibility because we had to advocate a lot for ourselves to be reimbursed and make sure we were really paying what we were supposed to. Otherwise the clinic is good. They do have a rule to not bring your kids in which we LOVESD because who wants to see a persons child that you can’t seem to have yourself in a place where your paying thousands to have a kid? Just loves that they were sensitive toward that. It’s also renovated and clean. I’m not sure if it’s up and functioning yet but when we left they were building a procedural suite next door for retrieval’s, transfers, etc. which was much more convenient than going to their facility in Rockville. It was working to get accredited by insurance companies first at the time so we couldn’t use it. But still pretty neat! Also parking is terrible. They have one parking garage that services 4 office buildings. So arrive early to make sure you get a spot on time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility.
We were lucky. Our treatment was covered partially by insurance. So our max OOP was $3500. However, their financial department is one of their worst departments. They are very wishy washy and not clear as to what you need to pay and what your paying for. We actually overpaid by a couple thousand and had to be reimbursed but I had to fight to get them to send the check and finally had to speak to financial manager. The coordinator I was assigned was terrible and I felt like I was constantly fighting to get in contact with her. When I did, I felt like she didn’t know what she was talking about and certainly wasn’t making things very clear.
Describe Eric Levens's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
He actually works with NIH to prevent cases of negligence where fertility doctors are allowing transfers of 3 embryos (for example) and having sextuplets. He is advocate for only transferring one (based off our personal history) because we already had high risk factors for pregnancy.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
This all had to do with our first nurse Danielle Kelly. She lost paperwork, ordered wrong doses of medications and sent wrong prescription to pharmacy (that we had done legwork to find I must note because medication was special script), she also seemed to always be out of office. This all contributed to mistakes that were made. I don’t think it was the other staffs fault.
Fairfax

Dr Levens spent a lot of time with my husband and I during the few consultations we had with him. He answered every question we had and was empathetic to the difficult time we were going through. I built trust for him over the process of our IVF cycle since I saw that he intervened when it was important to do so and made sure to call or email during critical times.... Dr Levens is a good doctor and wants to do best for his patients. He is open to listening if you want to try something new or tweak your protocol
The clinic does feel like a factory.... Shady grove has good results and Dr Levens is a good doctor so I am willing to deal with being a number in the system of the larger operation if it gets us closer to our goal and I continue to speak up for myself.... The first nurse seemed unavailable and annoyed with my questions and follow-up. At one point when the lab did not run all of my tests and I needed to go back, my nurse would not rerun the script for the tests I needed
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr Levens is a good doctor and wants to do best for his patients. He is open to listening if you want to try something new or tweak your protocol within the parameters of what is safe and reasonable. Make sure to advocate for yourself and speak up when you feel necessary.
Dr Leven's was very empathetic toward my husband and I and was always there when it was important. He counseled us during a traumatic early loss which required methotrexate to resolve. I did, however, feel that the larger Shady Grove operation made me feel more like a number than a human compared to my previous clinic. But Dr Levens made it worth staying.
We did one IVF cycle with Dr Levens. He did an antagonist protocol with the highest doses of Gonal F (450) and a medium dose of Menopur based on my AMH and FSH. He also had prior information from my first cycle we undertook at a different clinic with a different Dr (GW) and tweaked my protocol based on the outcome of my first cycle. The one thing that I asked him about and he rightly investigated was sperm factor issues. The first clinic did not follow-up on the male side after our embryos stopped growing after day 3 on the first cycle. Dr Levens recommended a sperm DNA fragmentation test for my spouse and it came back with a large percentage of fragmentation even though his standard test parameters all came back normal. The DNA fragmentation test is not a part of the standard work up for men during their fertility testing. We were coached on a number of things we could do to try and improve it. We think some of those things helped. We got better results with Dr Levens in terms of the number of 5 day blasts we ended up with vs the first clinic (4 vs 0). We have yet to achieve a viable pregnancy but I have no doubt he will do everything in his power to try and help us get there.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
We had two nurses. The first nurse seemed unavailable and annoyed with my questions and follow-up. At one point when the lab did not run all of my tests and I needed to go back, my nurse would not rerun the script for the tests I needed, as the first one was outdated. She said I could just cross off the labs I didn't need instead of her generating a new script. I took this as either laziness or maybe patient overload. I got to the lab and told the phlebotomist that my nurse told me to just cross of the labs I didn't need and she looked at me dumbfounded that any nurse would tell their patient to do that. She said it was a legal document and I couldn't just cross off tests and that she would need to draw the blood for all of the tests again. When I told Dr Levens about this he assigned me to a new nurse. The new nurse, whom I'm rating here, I don't feel has always provided sufficient explanations of the process and seems to always tell me what I can't do instead of being on my team and helping me to make it happen. I've had to go around her to schedule appointments. And when I was waiting for directions on my trigger shot, and was told by clinic staff that it would be sometime that evening, I waited and waited and no one called that evening even as their closing time approached. I called the helpdesk line 5 mins to closing and they told me my nurse was out on leave and they'd get another nurse to call within 10 mins. And if they didn't call within 10 mins to call their desk line back. Well, no one called in 10 mins and when I called the deskline back it was no longer functioning because it was after 5- their closing time. At this point, I was in a panic thinking the entire cycle was ruined because I wouldn't have done the trigger shot on time. I wrote Dr Levens asking what to do and he wrote back right away, and someone called shortly after. No one explained the process to me nor did my nurse give me a heads up that she was on leave and who to contact or who would be reaching out and when. I also didn't get the sense that she understands the gravity of what women go through every day in this process and feels more annoyed than empathetic when you are trying to make difficult decisions and sometimes you change your mind. Part of this I believe is the way shady grove is structured and the number of patients each nurse covers. I have heard this isn't the case for all of the nurses, but it has felt like it for me with the two who have been assigned to us.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic does feel like a factory. At the smaller clinic I went to for the first cycle it was more intimate and everyone knew you. You could reach out to a number of different people if anything went wrong or you had questions. And some of the staff had experienced fertility treatments themselves so they spoke to you in a way that was healing and understanding. Shady grove has good results and Dr Levens is a good doctor so I am willing to deal with being a number in the system of the larger operation if it gets us closer to our goal and I continue to speak up for myself.
We purchased the shared risk program at $22k and medications are all out of pocket costing $5k each fresh cycle.
Dr Levens recommends the appropriate number of embryos for transfer based on age, embryo quality, and past cycles. He recommended a transfer of two embryos for our FET (to happen in a few months) after the first round with one embryo ended in a chemical pregnancy and I am turning 37.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
I've explained in earlier sections

2017 - 2019, Successful
He [Dr. Eric Levens] is a compassionate, patient, soft spoken and hardworking doctor. He gave me hope all along the way even when I was experience loss or complications. He gave me options but respected my decisions based on the information he provided...He reassessed after each miscarriage which led to slightly different protocols, PGStesting and using an implantation protocol (lovenox, baby aspirin, prednisolone)...
My primary nurse [at Shady Grove Fertility] was kind and compassionate but seemed to forget a lot of my unique needs. I learned to constantly remind her what was going on and also learned that I would need to advocate for myself...We were part of a shared risk program so paid an upfront fee. We paid for PGS testing of our embryos and also paid for medications which were not part of the shared risk program. Some medications were covered by insurance.
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
He is a compassionate, patient, soft spoken and hardworking doctor. He gave me hope all along the way even when I was experience loss or complications. He gave me options but respected my decisions based on the information he provided.
Listen, ask questions, advocate for yourself but trust his experience and recommendations.
He took time to talk to us, explain everything in as much detail as we needed and called whenever there were important results or decisions to discuss.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Mary Hartman)
My primary nurse was kind and compassionate but seemed to forget a lot of my unique needs. I learned to constantly remind her what was going on and also learned that I would need to advocate for myself.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
My clinic has very good hours to accommodate my work schedule. They have excellent administrative staff included those at the front desk. I never had difficulty making the appointment I needed. They were very efficient at getting patients in and out for morning monitoring. I did feel that they had a large number of patients to manage but we knew that when we chose to use them for our fertility needs.
Approximately $25,000. We were part of a shared risk program so paid an upfront fee. We paid for PGS testing of our embryos and also paid for medications which were not part of the shared risk program. Some medications were covered by insurance.

2017 - 2019, Successful
Despite having a very busy practice and being its medical director, Dr. Levens frequently goes the extra mile to answer detailed and numerous questions, calling ahead of and after treatments, and being available to do procedures himself whenever possible. He listens carefully and attentively so I have never felt rushed during consults or even with middle-of-the-hallway questions during monitoring. Dr. Levens encourages patients to be engaged in their care and always invites follow-up inquiries as needed...he has a terrific bedside manner. Infertility treatments can make male partners feel marginalized yet Dr. Levens' attitude and soft-spoken nature are very approachable to men as well and he puts them at ease.
I liked the flexibility of being able to go to any of [Shady Grove Fertility's] numerous locations (even in several states) as medical records are linked. Overall, getting an appointment is easy especially for monitoring, which can be done in different centers across town rather than needing to be at one's primary clinic every time. Having said this, I found it necessary to book a post-treatment follow-up appointments with my RE weeks out (typically at the start of a cycle) if my goal was to not miss any time due to scheduling availability. While getting a phone consult to regroup was an option, in-person consults had to be scheduled further out. Even though one has to medically qualify, SG's programs such as Shared Risk allow for a certain sense of security to the stress of many unknowns associated with IVF cycles.
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
From the first time I met Dr. Levens, it was very clear that he makes a personal investment in the care and well-being of his patients. I tend to have a lot of intricate questions and he regularly engages in answering these in sufficient detail. While Dr. Levens has a game plan with treatments, he is open to patients' input and, if so desired, will discuss the pros/cons of what one might have found in researching the latest protocols or merits of various options. I have recommended Dr. Levens to numerous friends and acquaintances as he has a terrific bedside manner. Infertility treatments can make male partners feel marginalized yet Dr. Levens' attitude and soft-spoken nature are very approachable to men as well and he puts them at ease. Although this stage of the relationship deepened with IVF (and was less so during the TI/IUI phase of my treatment), Dr. Levens frequently calls ahead of procedures if he isn't the one on-call that day and even after to offer support/encouragement. As the complexity of my clinical situation expanded, Dr. Levens' personal attention to my case increased and he communicated updates to me much more often rather than relying on the nursing staff. When one egg retrieval went particularly awry, he updated me regularly on what was going on. It was clear that Dr. Levens was as interested in the outcome of my medical care as my husband and I--further, he even commented on how personally took this clinical setback so Dr. Levens is definitely in the trenches with his patients. Through my several years as his patient, I particularly appreciated how Dr. Levens sought to keep as many options open for his patients as possible (e.g., endometrial prep for a fresh transfer just in case we decide to go for this option on day 5 vs do a freeze-all, go/no go options on PGS testing, etc.). The language a person chooses to use can say a lot about one's true take on a situation and Dr. Levens speaks of 'we' vs 'you' as in 'we are in this together' and that shows up in every aspect of the care I received to date--infertility really is a team sport.
Although he has a very caring nature, Dr. Levens tends to have a more pessimistic/realistic view of the situation so be mindful of this. For instance, Dr. Levens regularly subtracts 10% from assorted success statistics I've seen (e.g., chance of implantation, odds of pregnancy from procedure, etc.) so consider this when hearing both good news (it's likely better) or bad news (it might not be as bleak). Dr. Levens is also really approachable so do take him up on the offer of reaching out with questions in between consults and/or during monitoring as he will make time to speak with you. As with any infertility treatment, be your own advocate.
I did 2 medicated timed intercourse cycles with Clomid, an IUI with Clomid and supplemented with Gonal-F, 2 non-consecutive IUIs with Gonal-F, an antagonist IVF (Gonal-F and Menopur with Cetrotide followed by HCG trigger), an agonist IVF (Lupron, Gonal-F, and Menopur with HCG trigger), an antagonist IVF with a dual trigger (Gonal-F and Menopur with Cetrotide followed by HCG and Lupron triggers), and 2 estrogen priming antagonist cycles (i.e., estrogen is used to prime follicles mid-luteal phase ahead of a stim cycle the following month). After 5 IVF stim cycles, I finally got pregnant from my 2nd estrogen priming cycle. During this time and ahead of the FET, I also used CoQ10/ubiquinol (~6 months), acai berry (~2 months), and acupuncture (~5 weeks ahead of transfer). For the FET, I was on PIO, vaginal Estrace, low-dose aspirin, and Lovenox. In terms of rationale for stim protocols, we were working on reaching greater levels of egg maturation by various mechanisms in hopes of making more embryos. My last cycle yielded 2 AA blasts (a personal record) of which 1 became my daughter.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Layluma and Chelsea)
I've been in treatment for so long that managed to have 2 nurses. Layluma was fantastic--very sweet and caring--both as my primary nurse (for TIs and IUIs) then we kept in touch upon her promotion to leading the surgical team. Chelsea took over as my primary nurse thereafter and has been great about answering my many questions promptly and patiently. During a particularly stressful time during my doctor's rare day off, she even went the extra mile of getting timely guidance on protocol modifications from an RE late on a Friday afternoon. As a testament to her approach to patient care, I decided to stay with Chelsea even after she switched to another office. Since most of your clinical relationship is with the nurses, I was fortunate to have had a positive experience with a responsive team.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove's (SG) strength is in its reputation and size as apparently the biggest fertility clinic in the nation. With experienced REs across multiple centers, the within network expertise is available to guide treatment plans in difficult cases. I liked the flexibility of being able to go to any of its numerous locations (even in several states) as medical records are linked. Overall, getting an appointment is easy especially for monitoring, which can be done in different centers across town rather than needing to be at one's primary clinic every time. Having said this, I found it necessary to book a post-treatment follow-up appointments with my RE weeks out (typically at the start of a cycle) if my goal was to not miss any time due to scheduling availability. While getting a phone consult to regroup was an option, in-person consults had to be scheduled further out. Even though one has to medically qualify, SG's programs such as Shared Risk allow for a certain sense of security to the stress of many unknowns associated with IVF cycles. While I haven't used SG's Shared Risk program, either party (clinic or patient) can choose to withdraw at any time in which case the patient receives a full refund. Although I learned of this too late to fully benefit when first seeking care, SG provides a free consultation for would-be patients who attend a free seminar. This is a terrific idea since some insurance companies make women jump through multiple hoops before being allowed to see a specialist yet timing of early diagnosis is so critical to improved outcomes. SG's major weakness is that patients do not see an RE at every appointment (far from it) and unless one really tries, it's possible--likely even--to have very little interaction with the clinician overseeing your medical care. I had to specifically work on getting attention from my RE between consults since SG is nurse-centric-in patient care, which is admittedly to a detriment relative to competing clinics. For instance, I had to actually ask to receive attention from my RE between consults via call-backs by request through my nurse or run-by Q&A during monitoring if we happened to intersect (his idea & willingness, by the way, for mid-hallway dialogue). Admittedly, my RE was quite open to grant the extra time and even came in purposefully early on numerous occasions to do my egg retrievals himself. Were it not for my RE taking an interest in seeing me succeed in having a baby, I would have left SG for one of the several competing clinics offering more ready access to its REs. I further think that much can be missed by having REs only analyze images rather than being there to see results firsthand and would urge SG to restructure its practice towards a greater fraction of direct patient care.
I am fortunate enough to have had insurance coverage for infertility treatments. With BCBS for IVF, my costs were usually $5k-$7k for medications, and $2.5k+ for procedures. Via this insurance, patients could bank embryos up to a $25k ART procedure max and $15k medications max (medications coverage was charged at a much higher rate by the pharmacy such that this sum only lasted for 0.5 of an IVF cycle). With my new insurance through Aetna, coverage of procedures and medications varied by whether met the high deductible ($2.8k for family) but then medications and procedures were a reasonable copay. After hitting the OOP max ($4.3k for family including deductible), then everything became free for the remainder of the year. However, this insurance plan has a 4 IVF cycle lifetime max and the insurer directed whether patients were covered for each procedure (e.g., no embryo banking possible). Overall, we spent $25k+ in fertility treatments and medications to have our daughter.
As most REs, Dr. Levens would recommend transfer of a single blastocyst especially following PGS testing although is willing to consider multiple embryo transfers when clinically indicated (e.g., untested embryos, following past implantation failures, advanced maternal age, diminished ovarian reserve, etc.).
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
While overall treatment plans ran smoothly, there were a few instances with room for improvement. The front desk staff didn't always have accurate information on which RE was scheduled to do a particular procedure even a day or two out. As a planner, this kind of information was important to me especially since infertility is a process where patients have so little control over anything. When my RE ordered the use of a dual trigger protocol, I received conflicting instructions from the weekend nursing staff of when the two triggers needed to be done relative to each other and the dosing. Although this got resolved because the day of trigger ultimately fell on a school night, if I were not the type of patient to self-advocate and seek out answers then that cycle may have been jeopardized. For one of my embryo transfers, I did not get notification ahead of the procedure how many embryos survived or their status (e.g., morula, blastocyst, etc.) until we were already in the procedure room. The RE on-call even already prepared paperwork with her plan before indicating to my husband and me what were our options. The RE did end up giving us some time to figure out what to do without pressure but I would have appreciated being informed the morning of about the status and grades of my embryos so that could be in a better place to make a clear-headed decision. Further, calls to inform of bad news were on a few instances saved until the end of the day or even after hours. While one has to admire the fact that my RE wanted to give difficult news himself so as to be available to provide better guidance than the nursing team, the wait was excruciating and unnecessary. A better approach would have been for a nurse or even the front desk can do an initial call or even send an email to say that the RE will call to discuss the results. Lastly, the financial department is very much hit or miss so incorrect information was provided on a few instances. For instance, I was told that PGS testing was covered for at least the biopsy; however, this ended up being denied about 9 months later by insurance. In another instance, I was given the green light to start an IVF cycle despite the fact that the financial department could not confirm whether my insurance had enough to the max coverage sum to fund another IVF cycle. Instead, I had to piece together this mystery myself and then pull out of stimming upon having started the cycle because--to the best of my understanding after many, many calls to all responsible entities--insufficient insurance coverage funds remained. Although it has been over a year, this situation still unsettles me greatly as this could have cost me the opportunity to have another child. In speaking with others, discrepancies of various kinds with SG's financial department are not a rare occurrence.
Fairfax

Dr. Levens is a great doctor who is to the point, yet in a caring way, and has a background in research. We never felt like he didn't know what he was doing. He called us a few times during the stimulation phase of our cycle to give us updates, or see if we had any questions.... Dr. Levens started us on the protocol we wanted. During the stimualtions he adjusted the dosages as needed. In general SGF does not really do out of the box protocols, they do take a more cookie cutter type approach for protocols.
SGF does use a cookie cutter approach for their protocols. Nothing is outside of the box. SGF is a large clinic, but we didn't really ever feel like we are just a number there. The Fairfax office was great!... There are many options at SGF and they use "global" fees, which is nice because monitoring is included in this. They have a single cycle package, and multi-cycle package, and a shared risk program.... Sarah our IVF coordinator was great.
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
Make a list of questions, discuss any doubts you have with Dr. Levens.
Dr. Levens is very personal and caring. If you have any questions about why he is doing something, just ask, he will explain it in detail. SGF sees a lot of patients and yet the care still feels personal.
Dr. Levens started us on the protocol we wanted. During the stimualtions he adjusted the dosages as needed. In general SGF does not really do out of the box protocols, they do take a more cookie cutter type approach for protocols. However, this doesn't mean it can't work.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Sarah)
Sarah our IVF coordinator was great. She replies to emails and calls very promptly and gets to the point. The monitoring in the morning was fairly orgainized and quick. There were a few hiccups but nothing major at all.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Well run - a few hiccups but nothing to complain about.
Fairfax

Very modern, professional, clean. Has their process down. At the beginning of the process, Shady Grove set you up for a coordinator for financial, embryo, office, nurse- all parties which specialized in their reapected areas to help you to navigate when the process starts....She’ll [nurse] answer questions, has patience, you are able to contact her via email or phone and always returns call/email same day.
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
I am in Virginia Beach. I go to the Rockville, Maryland location for treatments. Dr. Levens was at this location when I first started treatments but has moved. Although my treatments are remote, I still can call him anytime I have any questions. He calls and checks in on me to see if I have any questions. I monitor outside of Shady Grove but when we were pregnant last and was having heavy bleeding. Dr. Levens asked we go to his clinic so he can personally do our sonogram. I am happy with Dr. Levens. He is a great doctor. Too bad he is not in Virginia Beach. Shady Grove is worth the travel.
Do research and trust the process.
Like a human bc show they care. Communicated. Easy to get a hold of my nurse or doctor. Took time with me.
We started with progesterone vaginal inserts and progesterone injections. Then, we moved to progesterone injections and was able to have implantation. As for estrogen, we started we just injections, second cycle we added estrogen vaginal inserts twice a day and now, inserts are up to three times a day. The change to estrogen have increase the uterine lining before implantation and increase of progesterone injections dosage have decrease bleeding after transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Vivian Oseni)
She’ll answer questions, has patience, you are able to contact her via email or phone and always returns call/email same day.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
$25,000 donor egg, risk share program.
Doctor was very careful about the amt of embryo we can transfer. He educated us to the possible risk for the baby and mom with multiple embryos. The 1st cycle, we transfer one. The 2nd cycle, two embryos bc we asked. I am glad although he prefers one embryo because we asked for two, he was open to our decision.
Rockville

Dr. Levens is an amazing man and doctor. He cares soooo much! I am so glad that I have him on my team. I feel so lucky.... Dr. Levens is truly one of a kind! It has been such a long and rough road, we had a miscarriage 6 days ago. Things have been really hard but when Dr. Levens told us there was no heart beat at 8 weeks you could tell how sorry he was for us. This whole process is so scary but I know Dr. Levens has our best interest in hand.
Strengths- everyone [Shady Grove] really does care! They offer everything you need in one location which is amazing. Weakness- billing/insurance! Stay on top of everything!!!!! The community is great, lots of people to feel connected too and also the office is very new and clean which is amazing.... Each appointment seems like its at least $200 and that does not include meds. There have been many tears when dealing with the money part.
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Levens level of caring is beyond what we could ask for. I am so happy with him and my nurse. The other staff is amazing too. Dr. Levens is truly one of a kind! It has been such a long and rough road, we had a miscarriage 6 days ago. Things have been really hard but when Dr. Levens told us there was no heart beat at 8 weeks you could tell how sorry he was for us. This whole process is so scary but I know Dr. Levens has our best interest in hand.
It has been a long journey for us- and I hope its not for you but just trust in the process and stay strong! Cry and yell when you need too. Take care of yourself. Dr. Levens cares he really does!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Mary! )
I LOVE MARY!!!! She is like family now. So lucky to have her. Truly amazing!
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Strengths- everyone really does care! They offer everything you need in one location which is amazing. Weakness- billing/insurance! Stay on top of everything!!!!! The community is great, lots of people to feel connected too and also the office is very new and clean which is amazing.
It was very easy! Sometimes you waited but for the most part it was in and out. Made it a little better trying to get to work. They do a great job!
I am not sure, it been so much money. Each appointment seems like its at least $200 and that does not include meds. There have been many tears when dealing with the money part.
I am happy that he suggested eSET...he said it was our choice but felt strongly about one for our situation.
2015 - 2018, Unknown Success
Embryo Freezing
I thought I might have a thyroid issue (based on terrible internetting) and she [the nurse at Shady Grove] without question added it to my bloodwork to appease me. The nurses who do the bloodwork are all very gentle and nice. I think they must know I experienced a miscarriage and now that when I get my blood drawn to see the HCG levels are going down, they’re very delicate with me.
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
During what is a very stressful time, Dr Levens was always candid but caring and compassionate. He gave us positive and negative feedback and it was always welcome. I felt very comfortable with him. He was always encouraging and was direct when I told him about the things I had read on the internet. He was never condescending or rude. I truly feel as though he is on this journey with us.
You won’t always see Dr Levens at every appointment but at the big ones you will (IUI, follow ups). He stayed late with us one evening to answer all our questions. He truly cares about his patients.
He has a very gentle bedside manner. When we got pregnant he was genuinely so happy for us. When we lost our baby he was so empathetic and caring.
We have undergone 3 IUI cycles with two cancelled cycles due to over stimulation. When I responded too well, he adjusted my clomid dosage (from 75 to 50mg). We were able to get pregnant with our last IUI cycle but unfortunately lost the baby at 8.5 weeks. Dr Levens was at the appointment where we learned there was no longer a heartbeat. That was our last IUI as Dr Levens thought that too many IUI cycles with clomid would thin my lining. Now we are moving onto IVF with PGS testing as I respond well to clomid but had troubles getting pregnant/ keeping a pregnancy. He felt that because I was creating a good number of follicles, and because the baby we miscarried had chromosomal abnormalities that PGS would be a good option for us to determine which embryo would be the healthiest.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Lisha Tolbert, Sarah Conron )
We had a change in nurses as one left for personal reasons. Our new nurse is very nice and I’m still getting to know her (and she’s still getting to know us). I thought I might have a thyroid issue (based on terrible internetting) and she without question added it to my bloodwork to appease me. The nurses who do the bloodwork are all very gentle and nice. I think they must know I experienced a miscarriage and now that when I get my blood drawn to see the HCG levels are going down, they’re very delicate with me.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I really like that you don’t feel like a cog in the machine. The Annandale office has moved to fairfax just a mile or two away and their surgical facility has opened which makes things much more convenient (you won’t necessarily have to go to Rockville anymore).
I’m very lucky that so far my insurance has covered all IUI. My husband’s insurance will cover our ivf.
2015 - 2018, Successful
I have nothing bad to say about Dr Levens. Everything about him is what you look for in a doctor for sensitive treatment such as this. He is soft spoken, kind, informative, reads patients well so understands when there’s hesitation and doesn’t push, he’s super knowledgeable and and trustworthy.... We had unexplained infertility, so we weren’t terribly agressive with the treatments. I was on birth control for 3 weeks, then stimulated meds for about another 3, retrieved 10 mature eggs, only 4 fertilized, and only 2 graded high enough for transfer or freezing.
There was a bit of quick expansion at the clinic [Shady Grove], and a disconnect with the clinical office and billing, so while things USED TO work like a well oiled machine, in 2018 all that stopped and things were pretty chaotic. I was glad to have had treatment prior to their expansion because I got great service then... The nursing staff was a hit or miss. I prefer more information. Over less, and it was sometimes tough getting all the information needed, and in the timeline needed.
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
Don’t be afraid to ask any questions you have because he will answer everything!!
I never felt like a number to Dr Levens. He always recognized me by name when passing me by in the clinic, he was incredibly caring and always looking out for our best interest and what we were hoping to achieve. He was incredibly patient and explained everything in detail because I like a lot of information.
We had unexplained infertility, so we weren’t terribly agressive with the treatments. I was on birth control for 3 weeks, then stimulated meds for about another 3, retrieved 10 mature eggs, only 4 fertilized, and only 2 graded high enough for transfer or freezing. Levens recommenced any future retrievals we will do ICSI to increase odds for fertilization. Levens also recommended transferring only one embryo for the first cycle, because there wasn’t any reason to believe implantation was an issue, and chances of twins drastically increased with the transfer of two embryos. The first fresh cycle, I transferred one, which resulted in a Live birth Singleton, and the second frozen embryo I am currently 33 weeks pregnant with no complications. The second was a frozen embryo transfer, and everything went very smoothly, birth control for 3 weeks, then progesterone in oil for a couple more weeks plus vaginal suppository of estridol pills. Continued with a few more weeks of PIO after positive beta, and then finished last few weeks with vaginal suppository of endometrin.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
The nursing staff was a hit or miss. I prefer more information. Over less, and it was sometimes tough getting all the information needed, and in the timeline needed. Also there was a quick expansion at the office, so I got shuffled around to various nurses which was tough. Dr Levens was my doctor throughout, but the nurses changed a few times, sometimes not having a nurse assigned at all, and that was hard to get information sometimes, like protocol, prescriptions, timing for meds, random questions, etc.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
There was a bit of quick expansion at the clinic, and a disconnect with the clinical office and billing, so while things USED TO work like a well oiled machine, in 2018 all that stopped and things were pretty chaotic. I was glad to have had treatment prior to their expansion because I got great service then, but now it’s tough and I hope they work out their kinks soon.
The costs included treatment only, I purchased meds separately.
Fairfax
We did 4 total IUIs. We did letrozole and ovidrel with all of them. Prior to seeing Dr. Levens, I did 3 unmonitored rounds of Clomid and timed intercourse with my OB (with no success) so Dr. Levens wanted to try letrozole instead since side effects were less severe and sometimes has better response. I started on 5mg and 250mg ovidrel. I responded "perfectly" with 2 mature follicles but it didn't work. Repeated the protocol for round 2 and my follicles were slow to mature so he added a small dose of Menopur to speed up growth, but we were still unsuccessful. For round 3 we upped the letrozole to 7.5mg and ended up adding estrogen supplements to help thicken my lining. That cycle ended in a chemical pregnancy. We repeated that protocol (but without the estrogen bc they said my lining looked fine) and that cycle was negative. We're now in a break before starting IVF.
They [SGF] have what seems to be a decent patient portal but don't use it for anything other than scheduling appointments and messaging. No lab results or anything. You're sometimes read your numbers over the phone by the nurse but there's no central place for the patient to see all test results. Also, finance is not easy to get a hold of. They don't return phone calls or emails quickly and payments are really slow to process. Strengths are its size, in my opinion. I like that it's a team of many doctors, their hours are convenient for before work monitoring, and it's only ever crowded on weekends for monitoring (it's the only one in the area that does it), but otherwise not at all.
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
My experience with Dr. Levens has been great! When I see him, he's incredibly informative, will honestly answer all of my questions, and really empathetic. He seems willing to spend as much time with us as we need. I never feel rushed out of his office like I can feel with other doctors.
Feel free to ask any questions you have, even ones that seem silly or that you read about on the internet. He'll give you his honest opinion, which I appreciate, without dismissing your concerns.
When I would see Dr. Levens it was clear that he knew details of my cycles and was getting personalized treatment, but also didn't see him very often and he can be hard to get a hold of.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Layluma, then Chelsea)
Layluma was so helpful and always felt like she did everything possible to make sure I had what I needed or answered any questions I had quickly. Sadly she left and was replaced by Chelsea who is just as organized and prompt as Layluma. I don't have the same rapport with her, but Chelsea is always quick to return phone calls or emails, she's awesome. And the nursing staff! I see them the most often when I go in for monitoring. I have tricky veins but they're always so kind, patient, empathetic, and professional. Love them!
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
They have what seems to be a decent patient portal but don't use it for anything other than scheduling appointments and messaging. No lab results or anything. You're sometimes read your numbers over the phone by the nurse but there's no central place for the patient to see all test results. Also, finance is not easy to get a hold of. They don't return phone calls or emails quickly and payments are really slow to process. Strengths are its size, in my opinion. I like that it's a team of many doctors, their hours are convenient for before work monitoring, and it's only ever crowded on weekends for monitoring (it's the only one in the area that does it), but otherwise not at all.

2017, 20 Eggs Frozen
This clinic [Shady Grove] is very pricey. Looking back, I would have saved up money before this procedure so that it was more affordable and less of a financial burden. Although it was pricey, it was worth the money. The main strength was in the expertise of the staff members. Dr. Levens was excellent and very professional...His [Dr. Eric Levens] strengths were in knowledge and communication. He does a great job making the science relevant to your condition. It was comforting to know that he previously worked at NIH and understands all the protocols that went into the development of the definition for PCOS. He is very knowledgeable in working with patients who has PCOS. His area of improvement could be in being more responsive to phone calls.
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
His strengths were in knowledge and communication. He does a great job making the science relevant to your condition. It was comforting to know that he previously worked at NIH and understands all the protocols that went into the development of the definition for PCOS. He is very knowledgeable in working with patients who has PCOS. His area of improvement could be in being more responsive to phone calls.
Do your own research on your genetic background by using a test like 23andme
He was very personable from the moment we starting talking. He did an introduction of himself and his background. He then explained my test results and whether I am a good candidate for egg retrieval. I felt very informative walking away from the initial consultation and moving forward to the egg retrieval.
I used oral contraceptives and low dosage antagonists through the 6-week process. I have PCOS and am under the age of 35 so I was fine using the lower dosage. The reason why we used this strategy is to avoid OHS. The end results was extraction of 30 eggs, of which 20 were frozen.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Layluma)
She was very helpful and knowledge. She always called me back to answer my questions.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
This clinic is very pricey. Looking back, I would have saved up money before this procedure so that it was more affordable and less of a financial burden. Although it was pricey, it was worth the money. The main strength was in the expertise of the staff members. Dr. Levens was excellent and very professional.
For me, it was about $15,000 with all the costs the medication
I was sufficiently educated about embryo transfer. I plan to do the transfer in the next several years.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
FedEx somehow broke the vials of my blood in transit. I had to re-do the bloodwork

2016 - 2017, Unknown Success
When my IVF cycle later resulted in a chemical pregnancy, he [Dr. Eric Levens] personally called to give me the sad news and encourage me to remain hopeful about moving forward to frozen embryo transfer. He understands the emotional toll of fertility treatment, and conveys information in an honest yet caring manner that demonstrates his respect and concern for each patient as an individual...Eric Levens is the best doctor I've ever worked with. He takes his time during appointments, genuinely cares, explains things thoroughly, and instills confidence that he is an expert in his field and will do all that he can to help his patients succeed. I feel fortunate to have him directing my treatment during a long and emotionally difficult fertility journey.
I had no insurance coverage beyond the initial diagnostic testing, doctor consultations and some basic medication (birth control pills, for example). Each of my IUIs [at Shady Grove Fertility] cost about $1,500-$2,500. For IVF, I was able to enroll in the Shared Risk program, which provides up to six fresh IVF rounds and unlimited frozen embryo transfers for a refundable fee of $20,000+. Medication costs were, on average, $500 for IUI and $3,000 for IVF.
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Levens' schedule can fill up quickly, so if you are hoping to begin treatment within a certain timeframe, don't wait until the last minute to make an appointment. Prepare your questions in advance, and take full advantage of your consultation time. While your treatment plan will likely depend upon the outcome of initial diagnostic testing, it helps to go in with a general understanding of the treatment options available and financial commitment for each.
While many doctors don't make themselves readily available or communicate well with patients, Dr. Levens does. Whenever I was in the office for a monitoring appointment, he would take the time to say hello and ask how I was doing. He was quick to call me back whenever I had a question or concern, and within half an hour of my egg retrieval surgery, Dr. Levens was already on the phone with me, making sure I was OK and reporting the number of eggs retrieved/how many of them were mature. When my IVF cycle later resulted in a chemical pregnancy, he personally called to give me the sad news and encourage me to remain hopeful about moving forward to frozen embryo transfer. He understands the emotional toll of fertility treatment, and conveys information in an honest yet caring manner that demonstrates his respect and concern for each patient as an individual.
We started out using the lowest tech and most affordable options available. My first IUI involved the use of Clomid. The second, a combination of Clomid and injections, and the third, injections only. After it became obvious that we would need to move on to IVF, Dr. Levens implemented an antagonist protocol and recommended ICSI instead of traditional IVF due to some specimen-related inconsistencies on my husband's end. Sure enough, it ended up being a good thing we opted for ICSI, since otherwise, we would have ended up with a very low fertilization rate. In the end, we had 15 eggs retrieved and five embryos that made it to the five-day blastocyst stage.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Sarah Conron)
My primary nurse, Sarah, was incredibly well-organized and quick to respond whenever I had a question or needed a medication refilled. She made sure my medication orders were submitted to a pharmacy that would give me the best rate. She even provided some extra medication that had been donated by another patient when I ended up needing more than anticipated. She was flexible in communicating either via email or phone, which I appreciated. Another nurse, Gail, who performed one of my IUIs and some of my ultrasounds, was also friendly and funny, making me laugh and helping me relax, even when I was stressed.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove's Annandale and Rockville offices both run like well-oiled machines, and most everyone we've encountered has been friendly and helpful. Wait times can vary, depending upon how busy things are that day, but are typically not excessive.
I had no insurance coverage beyond the initial diagnostic testing, doctor consultations and some basic medication (birth control pills, for example). Each of my IUIs cost about $1,500-$2,500. For IVF, I was able to enroll in the Shared Risk program, which provides up to six fresh IVF rounds and unlimited frozen embryo transfers for a refundable fee of $20,000+. Medication costs were, on average, $500 for IUI and $3,000 for IVF.
Given my age and prognosis, Dr. Levens advocated for the transfer of a single embryo and the freezing of any remaining high-quality embryos. He made sure my husband and I were in agreement with this decision, and provided information about the risks associated with carrying twins.

2015 - 2017, Successful
Any fears, he [Dr. Levens] would talk me through...We were not comfortable with a newer medication, and therefore traded that out for a more tried and true medication. He heard our comments and concerns about various plans and made adjustements with us...Dr. Levens always helds a calm & gentle demeanor. He spoke with gentleness & compassion. He always acknowledged me in the office (even outside of a patient room.) He never made our time feel rushed, he was extremely thorough, answered all my questions with patience.
They [Shady Grove] were Organized, extremely helpful, and easy to work with. It is a large organization, but this element I loved, they knew what they were doing. There was no reinventing the wheel! I could always call and get through to the proper department, they would solve insurance & medication problems for me, rather han tasking me with phone calls & problem solving...[nurses were] Very communicative, compassionate & fun. To me, personally, this was a helpful element through the process of high stress
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Levens always spoke in the most gentle and compassionate manor. We felt like we were walking into an old friends office the first time we met him. He was so kind, and that never wavered during our time with him. He listened and gently asked questions. He was extremely thorough in explaining my diagnosis, helping us understand the medical rationale for our infertility. Every step of the way, he would meet with us to review our plan, listen to any concerns and even adjust our plan based off our combined communication. I was always able to have a conversation with him, whether in the office, or over the phone. A handful of times my nurse set up a phone call with him, so I was able to discuss my fears or questions. Knowing he was accessible along the journey, was significant to me. He rejoiced with us in our two pregnancies, and I was sad to "graduate" from him both times we were with him! I couldn't recommend him more.
Communicate communicate communicate. He is the doctor, and a wonderful, wise one at that, but this is your journey too. We were not comfortable with a newer medication, and therefore traded that out for a more tried and true medication. He heard our comments and concerns about various plans and made adjustements with us. Any fears, he would talk me through. But any doctor doesn't know to discuss or help if those things aren't communicated!
Dr. Levens always helds a calm & gentle demeanor. He spoke with gentleness & compassion. He always acknowledged me in the office (even outside of a patient room.) He never made our time feel rushed, he was extremely thorough, answered all my questions with patience. He listened to concerns and would work with us & any concerns to adjust our treatment as we went through each cycle. I couldn't have asked for more, he was fantastic.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Danielle kelly)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
They were Organized, extremely helpful, and easy to work with. It is a large organization, but this element I loved, they knew what they were doing. There was no reinventing the wheel! I could always call and get through to the proper department, they would solve insurance & medication problems for me, rather han tasking me with phone calls & problem solving.
I don't remember specifics enough to break it down.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
My husbands sample / slide was broken in transport. This was during our pre treatment testing/diagnosis. As the office transports them to an outside location for testing. It was handled extremely professionally, with many appologies, and no defensiveness. We received multiple phone calls from varying people apologizing & asking how they could make it easiest for us to re submit the sample. We understood that accidents happen & my husband had to repeat the sample. It my opinion, they could not have handled the situation any better than they did.

2016 - 2017, Unknown Success
Dr. Levens was kind, understanding, and compassionate about the stresses we were going through to start a family. He was soft spoken during our initial meeting, stayed calm and listened when I explained all my worries, concerns, and fears. He evaluated the lab results I had already had done and that I was concerned about.... He was concerned about my husbands genetic disease. He did follow up by phone call and provided potential steps for process.
Shady Grove is clean, organized, and well managed. It is a scary process so feel confident in your hopes and dreams! The clinic does have several clinic locations that you can get blood work done if your primary doctor is not close to your house. They have weekend hours to get the blood work done in a timely manor.... The nursing team was hard to get a hold of at times due to the holidays but otherwise I was able to get most of the information I have needed when I was a patient but once moving out of state it has been harder to get the information I have requested of my previous lab results.
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
He is nice and kind but make sure all your questions are answered before leaving his office.
Dr. Levens is very nice and soft spoken. He was concerned about my husbands genetic disease. He did follow up by phone call and provided potential steps for process.
Our first steps were to get all blood work for each my husband and I, have my husband do a semen analysis, blood work for specific dates of my cycle.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
We coordinated with the billing team and they provided several payment options for IVF. As well as options for the number of cycles we could choose.
unable to provide comment.
Fairfax

I had the most amazing experience with Doctor Levens, and I truly have no complaints at all about him. He made you feel like you were the only patient, he made sure you were getting the most recent research-based practice, and he was amazing at individualizing our care based on our needs.... Dr. Levens met with my husband and I on his lunch break to help us. We saw him almost every appointment, and when we weren’t going to see him, he let us know ahead of time and gave us the option to reschedule if timing permitted. He gave us every single detail we needed to know and answered all of our questions perfectly. He made sure we fully understood our options before doing anything....
Strengths- they [Shady Grove] make you feel like you are the only person there. They worked so well with your schedule and preferences. The workers were so sweet and supportive. Weaknesses- Very large clinic, so they see lots of patients, which makes it crowded. Even though it was crowded, they were very efficent.... [Nurse] She was amazing. Every time I called, she answered all the questions I had. If she wasn’t sure about something, she would get back to me immediately once she found out.
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
I had the most amazing experience with Doctor Levens, and I truly have no complaints at all about him. He made you feel like you were the only patient, he made sure you were getting the most recent research-based practice, and he was amazing at individualizing our care based on our needs. The only thing I could maybe think of—not about the doctor, but about the clinic— is that they are a very large clinic and have lots of patients. Our first two transfers that we did, we were unable to have Dr Levens do them because of timing, BUT we were given the option to wait until our doctor was available, which was very nice. We chose to trust the other doctors for our first two transfers, who were still awesome, and made us feel very comfortable— although they were unsuccessful. We chose to wait and have doctor Levens do our third transfer—which was successful— but it was awesome to have the option to wait, or continue treatment. IVF is all about timing, and they truly do the best they can to have your doctor at everything, and when they can’t be there, they make sure to communicate with you, and follow up immediately. They are amazing at giving you all the facts and allowing you to choose what you feel is the best plan of care for you.
Use him!! Ask him all the questions you can. He is super knowledgeable and research-based, so he will give you the best possible care! When a cycle was unsuccessful, he laid out every possibility and tweaked something he felt would improve outcomes. He was the perfect mix of brutally honest and personable.
So many reasons. He was AMAZING. Dr. Levens met with my husband and I on his lunch break to help us. We saw him almost every appointment, and when we weren’t going to see him, he let us know ahead of time and gave us the option to reschedule if timing permitted. He gave us every single detail we needed to know and answered all of our questions perfectly. He made sure we fully understood our options before doing anything. He gave us factual information and cited it, so we knew it was the most recent research findings. He celebrated with us, and grieved with us. He got back to our emails as soon as possible, even after hours. When it was time for our trigger injection, I was at work and my husband was at work, and the medication was at home. There was no way I could have made it back in time for the injection, and Dr. Levens drove to my work to drop off the extra medication he had at his office so it didn’t ruin my cycle. This was all after hours! I had a moment in my pregnancy when I thought I was miscarrying, and Dr Levens saw me the morning I called him and he made sure I was able to get an ultrasound as soon as possible. I can go on and on about how amazing he treats his patients.
She was amazing. Every time I called, she answered all the questions I had. If she wasn’t sure about something, she would get back to me immediately once she found out. She was very compassionate and knowledgeable! She had been through fertility treatment herself, which I felt helped a ton!
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Strengths- they make you feel like you are the only person there. They worked so well with your schedule and preferences. The workers were so sweet and supportive. Weaknesses- Very large clinic, so they see lots of patients, which makes it crowded. Even though it was crowded, they were very efficent.
2015 - 2017, Unknown Success
He [Dr Eric Levens] told me how likely it was that I could get pregnant with my own eggs and said he wouldn't be able to sleep at night if he let us attempt it as it wouldn't work and we'd spend a ton of money. He gave me a less than 1% chance, so we decided to move to donor egg. Everyone I know who's his patient is thrilled with him....He is super compassionate. He always calls back if you email him and answers all your questions. He is apologetic when giving bad news and excited when giving good news. He's honestly just a really nice person on top of being an excellent doctor.
Administrative stuff [at Shady Grove] was a pain at the beginning. There are lots of different people to meet. My financial person seemed to be out of the office every time I needed her, but someone else always helped me. The donor coordinators were great and annoying depending on the person....[Nurse] Pam is very sweet and kind. She often responded to email the same day I contacted her and we would email back and forth.
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Levens is kind and soft spoken but he tells it like it is. He's up front about options and timelines but willing to work around his patients' desires. He told me how likely it was that I could get pregnant with my own eggs and said he wouldn't be able to sleep at night if he let us attempt it as it wouldn't work and we'd spend a ton of money. He gave me a less than 1% chance, so we decided to move to donor egg. Everyone I know who's his patient is thrilled with him.
He's wonderful. You can cry in front of him or be joyful with him.
For a fresh transfer I had kupron injections, birth control pills, estrogen, estrace, and progesterone. He adjusted when my lining had fluid in it and cancelled the transfer. For a frozen transfer I had the pill, estrogen injections, and progesterone injections.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Pam Collins)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Administrative stuff was a pain at the beginning. There are lots of different people to meet. My financial person seemed to be out of the office every time I needed her, but someone else always helped me. The donor coordinators were great and annoying depending on the person.
I did the shared risk program. We paid $39,000 for 6 donors and all frozen transfers. If we quit we get the money back. We only pay for meds now and co pays for diagnostics.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
A nurse from a different shady grove gave me incorrect information on how many embryos we froze. My first nurse at Annandale could Not seem to fax anything to other providers.
Fairfax

Dr. Levens always took the time to personally call and explain everything in detail. Whenever I would see him in the office during my monitoring appointments he would stop what he was doing to say hello and ask how I was...Dr. Levens will ease fears and explain things in a way that make sense. He moves swiftly and didn't waste our time but he also made sure we were doing everything we needed to do to be prepared. He was willing to go the extra mile to investigate genetic issues on our embryos and additional chromosomal testing when it became apparent that I had some funky issues on my eggs. Dr. Levens called me almost everyday after my egg retrieval to check in and after my D&C...
The biggest weakness [at Shady Grove - Annandale] is that they open at 6:45am but the staff is almost never on time. I would always pick the earliest appointments and end up waiting forever!...I can't say enough kind things about [nurse] Sarah. She has listened to me vent, cry, sob, go crazy, you name it. She's so organized and on top of things. Responds to emails and phone calls right away and always takes the time to thoroughly discuss details with me. I miss her!!...
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Levens knows reproductive endocrinology so well. He is so knowledgeable and thorough. The first time we went in for our consolation appointment my husband was adamant that we were not agreeing to anything - we would simply go and listen. Within 15 minutes of talking to Dr. Levens my husband took out his credit card and asked where do we sign to get started. Dr. Levens will ease fears and explain things in a way that make sense. He moves swiftly and didn't waste our time but he also made sure we were doing everything we needed to do to be prepared. He was willing to go the extra mile to investigate genetic issues on our embryos and additional chromosomal testing when it became apparent that I had some funky issues on my eggs. Dr. Levens called me almost everyday after my egg retrieval to check in and after my D&C. He cried with me when we found out my baby was not going to live. He personally called to give me the embryo thaw update leading up to my FET. Dr. Levens takes the time to give patients the extra touch that so many don't receive these days.
GO to him! I have referred so many friends to him.
Dr. Levens always took the time to personally call and explain everything in detail. Whenever I would see him in the office during my monitoring appointments he would stop what he was doing to say hello and ask how I was. He was very thorough with his approach. what we thought was a straight-forward infertility problem ended up being a lot more complicated and Dr. Levens made sure to check every box.
We started with a very standard IUI as we thought we were solely dealing with male factor issues. Our male factor issues ended up being worse than we thought and because of my insurance coverage it made sense to go right to IVF with ICSI to better our chances of conceiving. I had a standard protocol for egg retrieval and everything went great. We ended up with 5 perfect embryos - 1 we transferred fresh and 4 frozen. I got pregnant from the fresh transfer but learned at 7 weeks the baby was not developing correctly. Dr. Levens gave it some time (5 days) before providing me my options - D&C, wait out the miscarriage, or a pill. We opted for the D&C so we could genetically test the baby and find out what happened. The results opened a door we never imagined - chromosomal issues on my eggs that no one thought of. Dr. Levens suggested we PGS test our remaining embryos while we let my body heal from the hormones and miscarriage. Again we never suspected issues but sure enough - 3 of the 4 embryos were abnormal with multiple chromosomal issues - all of them consistently having issues on chromosome 16 like the baby that passed. We were left with one normal embryo and the decision was to move forward with a FET. I had my FET at the end of last year and it has resulted in a healthy pregnancy which I am carrying to term.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Sarah Condron )
I can't say enough kind things about Sarah. She has listened to me vent, cry, sob, go crazy, you name it. She's so organized and on top of things. Responds to emails and phone calls right away and always takes the time to thoroughly discuss details with me. I miss her!!
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The biggest weakness is that they open at 6:45am but the staff is almost never on time. I would always pick the earliest appointments and end up waiting forever!
Well I got super lucky and my insurance covered 90-95% of my fertility costs.

2012 - 2015, Successful
Dr. Levens was always available when I had questions, and always answered them candidly and honestly. He returned my phone calls himself, never passing me off to the nurse or another member of the medical team. He was extremely empathetic and had a terrific "bedside manner." He made great efforts to make sure I always understood what was going on with my treatment. He was a great help to me in processing potentially moving on to donor egg IVF, always with great empathy and sensitivity.
Shady Grove is on top of it! They are on a mission to get their patients pregnant! While it was crowded and they obviously treat lots of patients, I never felt like I was just a number. Everyone always had time for me and my questions, and was extremely professional and responsive. it does get crowded sometimes, and so sometimes there is a long wait time in the waiting room for appointments. That could get a little annoying.
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
I felt as though i was in very good hands with Dr. Levens. In addition to having utmost confidence in his professional competence and medical expertise, I felt very safe emotionally under his care. He has a wonderful ability at helping patients understand their treatment protocol and why he recommends what he does.
Do your homework and ask questions. Meet him halfway. I'd recommend this for any doctor. He's there to make sure you understand everything that is happening.
IUI #1: September 2012 50 mg clomid, days 3-7. Chemical Pregnancy. IUI #2: October 2012 50 mg clomid, days 3-7. Negative IUI #3: January 2013: 100 mg clomid days 3-7, 75 IU Bravelle, days 5-7. Negative IUI #4: March 2013: 100 mg clomid days 3-7, 75 IU Bravelle days 5-10. Positive, pregnancy and live birth IUI #5 (trying for second child) April 2015: 100 mg clomid days 3-7, 75 IU Gonal F days 5-7, 150 IU Gonal F days 8-15 Negative IUi #6: August 2015: 100 mg clomid days 3-7, 75 IU Gonal F days 5-7. Negative IUI #7: October 2015: 100 mg clomid days 3-7, 75 IU Gonal F days 5-8. Cycle was cancelled, no IUI performed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Pam Cash and Mary Hartman)
For my first round of IUIs in 2012/13, Pam Cash was my nurse. I loved her knowledge, enthusiasm and compassion. For my second round of IUIs in 2015, Mary Hartman was my nurse. it was obvious Mary was a veteran fertility nurse, she was extremely knowledgeable, organized, responsive, professional and a lovely person.
Global IUI fee: $1600 plus medication
did not have these procedures.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
During one of my IUI cycles I got conflicting information from my ultrasounds. one day I was told my follicles were a certain size and we were ready to trigger, and the next day the follicles were actually smaller and there was question over whether or not I'd already ovulated. this was attributed to user error on the part of the ultrasound technician, but it was a little stressful.

2012 - 2014, Successful
Dr. Levens took incrdible care of me. I can’t explain how compassionate of a doctor he is. At my lowest and loneliest, Dr. Levens assured me over and over again that he would be with me every step of the way during my lengthy IVF journey. I would send everyone to Dr. Levens. He is absolutely incredible.... Dr. Levels was incredible. He was compassionate, honest, knowledgeable. He was with me every step of the way and told me over and over that he wasn’t going anywhere whenever he had bad news. Dr. Levens took the time to call me personally regarding my embryo development before his appointments started each day, which was something nurses would typically do.
Their [Shady Grove] quality of care of excellent. Their financial programs are very accommodating given the unfortunate circumstances surrounding the cost of IVF. Their business/care model is dependable, efficient, and organized. This didn’t really bother me, but a weakness for some may be that your doctor doesn’t always perform all your procedures.... $20k (but we received a discount due to our income) for six IVF cycles, and if you did not give birth to a live baby
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
He is the most amazing doctor, and anyone would know that by being his patient. However, he probably won’t do all the monitoring, egg retrievals, and embryo transfers. Because of the clinic’s business model, patients don’t always see their doctors for these appointments/procedures. That didn’t bother me too much because the doctors who cared for me were also amazing.
Dr. Levels was incredible. He was compassionate, honest, knowledgeable. He was with me every step of the way and told me over and over that he wasn’t going anywhere whenever he had bad news. Dr. Levens took the time to call me personally regarding my embryo development before his appointments started each day, which was something nurses would typically do. Because my case was so odd (youth, large egg quantity, poor egg quality) it seemed like Dr. Levens gave me more one-on-one time to “solve” my case. The day he finally got to perform my six-week ultrasound for my DE IVF twins, he was very compassionate and very delighted to see two heartbeats. He even did an extra ultrasound for me before I graduated. 20 weeks later, and several months after I’d graduated from his care, Dr. Levens called me when I was hospitalized for pre-eclampsia. Dr. Levens is my favorite doctor.
I don’t remember too well the strategies and rationales but for a few IVF cycles. My first fresh cycle was a standard protocol; nothing special from what I remember. My next cycle, an FET, was also standard. My third cycle, a fresh cycle, was pretty standard as well. My fourth cycle, third fresh cycle, was monitored by Dr. Levens and his colleague at NIH. They actually put me on a very unique protocol where I started stims after ovulation, but I didn’t ovulate so they mimicked my luteal phase with Provera. Then we waited for Day 1, then did the traditional stim cycle. For my fifth cycle, and fourth fresh, I was on the Depot Lipton for two months. My stim cycle was perfect, and I also used HGH. Because my doctor was very familiar with my history, he allowed me to stim for an extra day or so to hopefully mature as many follicles as possible. I always produced a lot of eggs, but my egg quality was very poor given my young age.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Mary Hartman and Pamela Collins)
Mary Hartman was my nurse during my IVF cycles with my eggs. Pamela Collins was my nurse during my donor egg cycle. Mary was so compassionate and helped me during discouragement or anxiety. Mary was there for me always. Pamela was also amazing; she was more business-like, and did not have experience with my prior five failed cycles. She did not understand my anxiety as much, but she was still amazing.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Their quality of care of excellent. Their financial programs are very accommodating given the unfortunate circumstances surrounding the cost of IVF. Their business/care model is dependable, efficient, and organized. This didn’t really bother me, but a weakness for some may be that your doctor doesn’t always perform all your procedures.
$20k (but we received a discount due to our income) for six IVF cycles, and if you did not give birth to a live baby you got all your money back. If you withdrew from the program prior to six cycles, you got all your money back. This price did not include medications. They also partnered with a fertility loan company (which we used). I withdrew after five cycles and got all my money back. For my donor egg cycle, we enrolled in a program that cost $35k total (including medications) for six cycles. Again, it was a money-back guarantee if you did not give birth or withdrew from the program. We shared a donor with two other recipients, and if you did not receive eggs during a cycle (due to being the third recipient or something) that cycle did not count against your count.
My doctor followed the eSET process when it made sense, and he transferred multiple embryos when it made sense for me and my egg retrieval outcomes.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
We selected our anonymous egg donor within a very controlled process that worked very well. It can be a very intense selection process. We selected our donor on a Friday evening and waited over the weekend until Monday to receive confirmation. We were ecstatic to receive our confirmation, but we were sent the incorrect donor’s profile. I was very upset that I had accidentally selected the wrong donor. I confirmed with the coordinator, and she had sent me the wrong profile. I was very upset, but she did not seem too compassionate toward me. Situations like that are not just transactional; they are very emotional. I don’t think she understood that with regard to my concern about her mistake.
2011 - 2013, Successful
I had seen 2 other doctors before I saw him and he was the first person who told me the truth. He also gave me statistics and recommendations but allowed me to think about them and process them before I made a decision. ... Dr. Levens was excellent at communication and used drawings, articles, and artifacts to help convey information. ... He always made me feel comfortable.
clean, updated facility [Shady Grove Fertility] with comfortable seating and plenty of reading materials they try to keep your privacy but that is hard to do when you are seated in a large waiting room. I actually saw someone there I wish I didn't run into. ... the following people were al excellent: Allison Murray, Alethia woodley, Amy Aldrich, Cerone kent ...
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
I had seen 2 other doctors before I saw him and he was the first person who told me the truth. He also gave me statistics and recommendations but allowed me to think about them and process them before I made a decision. his office was clean and equipment was new.
see him sooner than later. Don't wait to see him. He needs time to test and try different things on your body. Also take his advise.
Dr. Levens was excellent at communication and used drawings, articles, and artifacts to help convey information. he was very professional at telling me the truth and expectations of success. He always made me feel comfortable.
I was told to lose some weight and change my diet to organic with lots of water each day. Then we did hormones 3 cycles and 2 embryo transfers. The the first time I took the hormones, my body wasn't ready for the embryo cycles so we stopped and waited till later. Then the next cycle, I was pregnant right away, but lost it after 10 weeks. we waited again for 4 months and tried again and had a successful pregnancy. Dr. Levens recommended donor eggs based on my age which I followed right away.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: angela menefee)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
clean, updated facility with comfortable seating and plenty of reading materials they try to keep your privacy but that is hard to do when you are seated in a large waiting room. I actually saw someone there I wish I didn't run into.
I think it was around $27,000 plus the DNC and med costs
I wanted multiples based on my age and no other children. The doctor did not recommend it but he understood my situation. he told me how hard it was to raise multiples and I didn't believe him. I'm lucky because we can afford to have help. he might want to prepare a sheet of how much things cost to show parents and have them sign it confirming they understand the risks before they do multiple transfers.
Fairfax
I absolutely love Dr. Levens. He has the experience and compassion. He guided us in our decision with treatment plans and made us feel like we were his only patient. Dr Levens far exceeded our expectations....I felt like Dr. Leven's has our best interest in mind. Never felt like a number and would highly recommend him.... For the first try with IUI we did letrozole 7.5 mg which resulted in negative. We then added ovidrel with the letrozole of 7.5 which was also negative. We are now midcycle with letrozole 7.5, gonal f and ovidrel. If this results in negative we'll be moving onto IVF.
Its a very well run clinic [Shady Grove] which I really like. The only issue I've had has been with the financial team in not getting back to you or billing incorrectly. Being self pay is tough but I still felt that the financial department lacked compassion....UI treatments are $1800 before meds and I believe IVF starts at $11k.... Mary who is our assigned nurse is wonderful. Between her and Dr. Levens we feel like we're in the best hands.
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
Take notes, it's a lot of good and useful information.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Mary Hartman )
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Its a very well run clinic which I really like. The only issue I've had has been with the financial team in not getting back to you or billing incorrectly. Being self pay is tough but I still felt that the financial department lacked compassion.
My insurance covered the initial appointement where I only had to pay a co-pay. After that our insurance covers nothing so we have to pay out of pocket for IUI, IVF, meds etc. IUI treatments are $1800 before meds and I believe IVF starts at $11k.
No opinion as we haven't gone to IVF yet
Fairfax
He [Dr. Levens] was a very good, understanding and compassion doctor who is always willing to listen and be able to help in the best way he can. He always makes sure to email me with every step of my treatment. He was at all my appointments. He did my mock exam, retrieve and transfer. He called me personally with the test results....l think he used the antagonist protocols. Which consisted of bc pills for 15 days.
Because l am Deaf and they [Shady Grove] always make sure that there was an ASL interpreter at every appointment....The Clinic is one of the top fertility in VA. And has so many success pregnants. They make sure not to use 2 embryos on younger women which may result in twice pregnancy....$ 10.200.00 but paid $7800 25% discount for a low-income family making less than $60000
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
He was a very good, understanding and compassion doctor who is always willing to listen and be able to help in the best way he can. He always makes sure to email me with every step of my treatment. He was at all my appointments. He did my mock exam, retrieve and transfer. He called me personally with the test results.
Always listen to his suggestion, because he knows what he is doing. However, do not forget to be your own best advocater.
Because l am Deaf and they always make sure that there was an ASL interpreter at every appointment.
I don't remember much. But l think he used the antagonist protocols. Which consisted of bc pills for 15 days.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Chealse)
She made sure to follow up with me and also had an ASL interpreter ready for my appointments.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The Clinic is one of the top fertility in VA. And has so many success pregnants. They make sure not to use 2 embryos on younger women which may result in twice pregnancy. However, their only weakness is that they are not successful with older women.
Yes, he said if l was able to have day 5 embryos, he would transfer 2 embryos based on my age. However, we end up with day 3 embryos so he ends up using all the 3 embryos. Which l think was helpful

2016, Unknown Success
Dr Levens gives you all of his attention when meeting and takes a personal interest in his patients...Dr Levens is very research focused and sometimes conservative on whether he thinks the latest "trend" or study has validity. However, he is always willing to try it anyway as long there is not any harm to me. I come to our appointments with a list and he goes through each question with detail. He is compassionate and bright and even though I am not pregnant after a very long ride, I am very thankful to have him as my doctor...
Mary [nurse at Shady Grove - Annandale] became my cheerleader and friend. She was a huge comfort when things didn't go well and a wonderful clinican always advocating for me...While my Doctor and nurse never made me feel like a number, anytime I had to go to Rockville for a procedure, I felt like a number. The staff at Annandale office is amazing. They don't make you ever feel like a number, but where you go for retrievals and transfers do at times...
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
communicate what you would like and always be your own patient advocate (I would say this for any doctor)
Gosh, I don't really remember. Cycle #2: 225 gonal and 75 menopur with pills and 1 week on Lupron Cycle #3: Lupron 1 week, 225 gonal f, 150 menopur Cycle #4: menopur only (150 in morning and 150 at night) Cycle #5: human grown hormone, 225 gonal f, 75 menopur
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Mary Hartman and Pam Collins)
Mary became my cheerleader and friend. She was a huge comfort when things didn't go well and a wonderful clinican always advocating for me
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
We had 50% coverage and paid around $4000 each cycle.
Fairfax

He [Dr. Levens] took his time to know Me and my husband first then proceed to talk about the treatment options. He was really understanding and caring...He takes his time to know you and your partner first before even getting to the medical treatment. His understanding and takes his time explaining everything and answers any questions you have about the treatment. He will call you if you can’t make it to your appointment and keep in touch with you through out the process.
Great place to feel like they [Shady Grove] are there for you and always go above and beyond to make sure you are getting the best options and treatment. Appointments are always available when you need them even on weekends. The staff is really nice and always happy to help...They are all amazing people and that you like family....He [Dr. Levens] took his time to know Me and my husband first then proceed to talk about the treatment options
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
Aslways ask questions and never hold back
He took his time to know Me and my husband first then proceed to talk about the treatment options. He was really understanding and caring
He started me with estrogen patch and provera pills. Soon I will start the progesterone shots
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Bonsita seabrooks)
They are all amazing people and that you like family.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Great place to feel like they are there for you and always go above and beyond to make sure you are getting the best options and treatment. Appointments are always available when you need them even on weekends. The staff is really nice and always happy to help
Currently waiting but it will be around 30k
He suggested that i would only transfer one embryo because of my small size
Annapolis
He [Dr. Eric Levens] seemed to truly care about our journey and even shared some personal anecdotes. He personally called me. He would talk to us in the hallway if he saw us. We would work as a team on putting a plan together.... He’s slightly quiet, but very smart and knows his stuff. Kind of a “nerdy” type, but that’s who I’d want taking care of me.... He called me personally to discuss results. I liked that. Definitely made me feel like a human.
[At SGF- Fairfax] We tried “timed intercourse” for three months with P.O. clomid. Then we went to injectables for two-three months. All were negative. So we resorted to IVF. Had retrieval with 10 eggs retrieved and fertilized with my husbands sperm (no ICSI, no PGS). Three embryos resulted. We had to freeze bc my progesterone level was too high. We transferred one that implanted, but did not grow, I had a D&C. When we could, we transferred the two remaining embryos and both implanted. I’m 32 weeks pregnant with di-di twins.
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
He seemed to truly care about our journey and even shared some personal anecdotes. He personally called me. He would talk to us in the hallway if he saw us. We would work as a team on putting a plan together.
She was great and handled my moodiness well.
We transferred two since we had not tested the embryos and the previous one did not grow. In the future, I would test so that we could just transfer one.