5.2

5215 Loughboro Road, NW, Ste. 410
Washington, DC 20016
202.677.4720

2015 - 2017, Successful
I almost never saw Dr. Widra. He has a protocol and wants no part of answering your questions or making any changes to that protocol for your preferences. He hated that I did research and had my own opinions. There are still questions he hasn't answered that his nurse promised he would call and answer...When i did speak to him about my protocol his answer was simply that is how we do it, when pressed about data i was told they had data i could not see. He had no desire to personalize anything.
Their [Shady Grove] embryologists have tons of experience. I trusted the lab completely. It was always easy to get the time you want for monitoring and generally they had that process down and things moved. The negative is they are not always organized. I received multiple bills for things i had already paid for...Although i had emailed my nurse and financial coordinator the exact paperwork that was needed they still failed to send it in. The result was a LOT of extra stress and work for me. They were very willing to accept the rejection and only agreed to do the appeal when i pushed
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
I almost never saw Dr. Widra. He has a protocol and wants no part of answering your questions or making any changes to that protocol for your preferences. He hated that I did research and had my own opinions. There are still questions he hasn't answered that his nurse promised he would call and answer. The one time he did call he only wanted to talk about the good news from our retrieval even though i had been pressing to have a conversation about the transfer protocol. When things when wrong he never cared to discuss why or what could be done differently or to resolve the issue.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
If you don't want to understand why decisions are being made or to have any input in your care, or to ever see your doc (which honestly didn't matter to me as long as i got the info i wanted) i suspect he would be a fine choice. But if you want information I would probably choose someone else.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Widra has no idea anything about my care in the few times i actually interacted with him. When i did speak to him about my protocol his answer was simply that is how we do it, when pressed about data i was told they had data i could not see. He had no desire to personalize anything.
Describe the protocols Eric Widra used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I started with birth control which resulted in a cyst that we spent weeks watching grow (thankfully a PA suggested i push for a trigger shot to get rid of it!). After that i was on gonal-f 225 and 1 vial of menopur. After the first monitoring appointment they added cetrotide (1 injection) and doubled the menopur. I stimmed for 14 days (I think) then did a lupron trigger. My progesterone was too high for a fresh transfer so we had to do a freeze all. For the frozen transfer they tried birth control again, it didn't stop me from ovulating, which thankfully happened to coincide with our monitoring appointment and i got the natural-ish cycle i wanted. I did have to do progesterone suppositories (Dr. Widra refused to do the transfer without it and i was willing to give in since it was at least not the PIO injections).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Carrie)
Carrie was generally good. She was very sweet. She would generally provide information if she had it. My main issue was many questions she didn't have the answer to and the doctor NEVER responded to questions i had that were outside of her knowledge. I did have a major problem with information getting to insurance at the beginning and I'm not sure how much of that was her fault. She generally didn't know me from any other patient. My biggest complaint was when my fresh transfer was canceled (which i was devastated about frustrated they were not interested in why it happened) she multiple times said we are just going back to the original freeze all plan (it was NEVER the plan to do a freeze all - in fact, once the initial insurance fiasco was resolved it was put in as a freeze all, which I was very clear was never my plan).
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady grove is a giant clinic which has its pluses and minuses. On the plus side they have a lot of patients, which means their embryologists have tons of experience. I trusted the lab completely. It was always easy to get the time you want for monitoring and generally they had that process down and things moved. The negative is they are not always organized. I received multiple bills for things i had already paid for (which always ended up working out but took time and effort to deal with). If you have insurance expect it to take a LOT of time and expect them to mess up the paperwork (my insurance company said they are notorious for that). For me their mistake resulted in my initially being rejected even though I should have been approved. Thankfully my insurance company had done a great job at the beginning of telling me what they needed so i knew right away something was wrong. Although i had emailed my nurse and financial coordinator the exact paperwork that was needed they still failed to send it in. The result was a LOT of extra stress and work for me. They were very willing to accept the rejection and only agreed to do the appeal when i pushed (thankfully the doctor was never required since my personally sending in the proper paperwork fixed the problem). They then put in for a freeze all even though i had multiple times made very clear i wanted a fresh transfer, which resulted in more stress and delay. They are very willing to accept bad news and very unwilling to look at what went wrong (from insurance to medical issues). You are a number, which for me was ok. There are people that actually care, but it's not most of the people.
You scheduled a generally time (I think they were done in 15 minute increments), you sign in and then it was a first come first serve for bloodwork and ultrasound. It was generally pretty well run and was usually timely (only once was it particularly long - a little over an hour) most times i would be out in under 30 minutes.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility.
I was lucky enough to have insurance coverage so the rate i paid was the rate negotiated by the insurance company.
Describe Eric Widra's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
he suggested a single transfer especially since we were PGS testing but wasn't pushy about it.
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
The biggest issue was with the insurance. Additionally I had a cyst which I think my doctor would still be watching grow had the PA not suggested i push for a trigger shot. My fresh transfer was canceled (which I honestly never got a good answer of why, it felt a lot like they wanted to pad their success rate by making me wait for PGS results).
Washington DC

If you're looking for someone who will be overly supportive and involved in every way (complete every procedure, call you directly with monitoring appointment information, hand holding) that's not how he [Dr. Eric Widra] or the clinic operates. But if you're comfortable with a more formal manner, direct, thoughtful and respectful manner - then he'll be a good fit... He was not initially responsive to the additional testing I wanted to have done (Leiden V) or putting me on additional medications. But after the second miscarriage, he was amenable and willing to accommodate my requests. Through these difficult times he has been thoughtful, caring and respectful.
Shady Grove is a factory. And you have to know that and be 'OK' with that going into the process. You will not get a lot of attention or hand-holding from your primary RE. You will be seen for your monitoring appointments and procedures by whomever is on duty that day. Do not expect your primary RE to perform any of your procedures. He or she is there to oversee your 'case'. Your nurses are your rock. You are assigned one primary nurse and they do everything. And you have to be OK with that - otherwise Shady Grove is not the place for you.
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
Eric is a smart doctor. And you'll see him for your until consultation to devise a treatment plan. But he's not a warm and fuzzy doctor. Neither is he's hands on, nor especially client interfaceing until things don't go as initially as planned. We barely saw him over the course of our three IUIs. He did not perform any of the monitoring appointments or procedures. Due to the clinic's large size, those tasks were performed by whichever doctor was available at the time. However, once we moved onto IVF cycles - we saw Dr. Widra more frequently. Still however, the procedures were completed by available daily doctors (not Widra). We finally got to experience Dr. Widra in a more hands-on and compassionate way after I began to experience unexplainable RPL of chromosomally normal embryos/fetuses. He took the time to meet with my husband and me as often as we felt we needed to come in and consult with him, and have him reassure us. He was not initially responsive to the additional testing I wanted to have done (Leiden V) or putting me on additional medications. But after the second miscarriage, he was amenable and willing to accommodate my requests. Through these difficult times he has been thoughtful, caring and respectful.
Make sure he's the right personality fit for you. If you're looking for someone who will be overly supportive and involved in every way (complete every procedure, call you directly with monitoring appointment information, hand holding) that's not how he or the clinic operates. But if you're comfortable with a more formal manner, direct, thoughtful and respectful manner - then he'll be a good fit.
During the IUI process I felt like a number. We completed 3 unsuccessful cycles. We met with the doctor before we began the process but after that initial meeting we were passed off to nursing staff and whatever doctor was on call at the time to complete the IUI procedures.
Diagnosed with PCOS and unexplained fertility issues. Completed 3 rounds of IUI with Clomid and ovidrel. Resulted in good egg stimulation for all three cycles but only one chemical pregnancy. He was not open to changing protocol as I requested to include metformin and femerra. Moved onto IVF. Egg stimulation and retrieval: Cetrotide 250mcg Gonadotropin FSH ( Gonal F 450 iu pen x 3) and 75 IU FSH&LH ( Menopur 75 iu vials x 15) Lupron 2 week kit with 1ml luerlock syringe, 27 g ½ “ needle - “Trigger” subcutaneous. Zithromax 1 gram - taken evening before egg retrieval Resulted in 18 eggs retrieved. 8 made it to 5-day blocyst; 5 remained after PGD testing. Froze all embryos. #1 IVF and FET Round: Birth Control Pills Prenatal Vitamins: 1 daily Del Estrogen injection (40 mg/ml; 1 vial has 5 ml; 6 mg = 0.15 ml): 0.15 ml IM every third evening Progesterone in Oil injection (50 mg/ml): 1 ml IM every night Resulted in pregnancy; SPL/miscarriage at 6 weeks; misoprostol abortion. Diagnosed as carrier of Liden V. Round #2 IVF and FET: Lovenox injections 40mg daily Prenatal Vitamins: 1 daily Del Estrogen injection (40 mg/ml; 1 vial has 5 ml; 6 mg = 0.15 ml): 0.15 ml IM every third evening Progesterone in Oil injection (50 mg/ml): 1 ml IM every night Resulted in pregnancy; SPL/miscarriage at 6 weeks; d&c abortion. Fetal tissue chromosomally normal. Diagnosed with PCOS and unexplained fertility issues. Completed 3 rounds of IUI with Clomid and ovidrel. Resulted in good egg stimulation for all three cycles but only one chemical pregnancy. He was not open to changing protocol as I requested to include metformin and femerra. Moved onto IVF. Egg stimulation and retrieval: Cetrotide 250mcg Gonadotropin FSH ( Gonal F 450 iu pen x 3) and 75 IU FSH&LH ( Menopur 75 iu vials x 15) Lupron 2 week kit with 1ml luerlock syringe, 27 g ½ “ needle - “Trigger” subcutaneous. Zithromax 1 gram - taken evening before egg retrieval Resulted in 18 eggs retrieved. 8 made it to 5-day blocyst; 5 remained after PGD testing. Froze all embryos. #1 IVF and FET Round: Birth Control Pills Prenatal Vitamins: 1 daily Del Estrogen injection (40 mg/ml; 1 vial has 5 ml; 6 mg = 0.15 ml): 0.15 ml IM every third evening Progesterone in Oil injection (50 mg/ml): 1 ml IM every night Resulted in pregnancy; SPL/miscarriage at 6 weeks; misoprostol abortion. Diagnosed carrier Liden V. Diagnosed with PCOS and unexplained fertility issues. Completed 3 rounds of IUI with Clomid and ovidrel. Resulted in good egg stimulation for all three cycles but only one chemical pregnancy. He was not open to changing protocol as I requested to include metformin and femerra. Moved onto IVF. Egg stimulation and retrieval: Cetrotide 250mcg Gonadotropin FSH ( Gonal F 450 iu pen x 3) and 75 IU FSH&LH ( Menopur 75 iu vials x 15) Lupron 2 week kit with 1ml luerlock syringe, 27 g ½ “ needle - “Trigger” subcutaneous. Zithromax 1 gram - taken evening before egg retrieval Resulted in 18 eggs retrieved. 8 made it to 5-day blocyst; 5 remained after PGD testing. Froze all embryos. #1 IVF and FET Round: Birth Control Pills Prenatal Vitamins: 1 daily Del Estrogen injection (40 mg/ml; 1 vial has 5 ml; 6 mg = 0.15 ml): 0.15 ml IM every third evening Progesterone in Oil injection (50 mg/ml): 1 ml IM every night Resulted in pregnancy; SPL/miscarriage at 6 weeks; misoprostol abortion. Diagnosed as carrier of Liden V. Round #2 IVF and FET: Lovenox injections 40mg daily Prenatal Vitamins: 1 daily Del Estrogen injection (40 mg/ml; 1 vial has 5 ml; 6 mg = 0.15 ml): 0.15 ml IM every third evening Progesterone in Oil injection (50 mg/ml): 1 ml IM every night Resulted in pregnancy; SPL/miscarriage at 6 weeks; d&c; fetal tissue chromosomally normal. Round #3 IVF and FET: Metformin 3 pills daily w/ meals Lexapro 10mg daily Lovenox injections 40mg daily Prenatal Vitamins: 1 daily Del Estrogen injection (40 mg/ml; 1 vial has 5 ml; 6 mg = 0.15 ml): 0.15 ml IM every third evening Progesterone in Oil injection (50 mg/ml): 1 ml IM every night Result: TBD
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
I've had two primary nurse coordinators over the past year and a half and they have both been phenomenal. They address all of my questions, calls, and emails promptly and thoughtfully. They get answers back from my doctor quickly. They are always on the ball - calling in all of my medications before I even ask. They are compassionate when breaking diasapointing news and never complain about being nagged by me or my husband. They do the daily hand holding and support needed during this process.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Year 1: For 3 IUIs + shared risk IVF package + out of pocket meds + medical deductibles = ~$50,000
At first I was frustrated at my doctor's unwillingness to implant multiple embryos. But after he explained the potential risks and long term effects of the babies (developmental issues, under weight, early term, etc) I began to understand and agree with eSET.
Sibley

I often got the feeling that my case was too complicated [with Dr. Eric Wildra]. I was made to feel like I was a set of illnesses, rather than a patient that was trying to conceive. It was very unclear after the first visit what I was supposed to do, as clear instructions weren't really given. I felt like just another number, and I really didn't feel confident in the care I was receiving. I didn't try switching doctors, it felt like that would achieve similar results. Instead I switched clinics.
Due to a high patient volume [at Shady Grove Fertility], it felt like many people were given the same protocol and there wasn't much outside of the box thinking for a tougher case. Bedside manner was very matter of fact, and advice was very standard. It felt like if your numbers weren't as high as some other clients you would be automatically directed to donor eggs. I very much felt like just another number here, and not like a person.
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
I often got the feeling that my case was too complicated. I was made to feel like I was a set of illnesses, rather than a patient that was trying to conceive. It was very unclear after the first visit what I was supposed to do, as clear instructions weren't really given. I felt like just another number, and I really didn't feel confident in the care I was receiving. I didn't try switching doctors, it felt like that would achieve similar results. Instead I switched clinics.
Go in educated on your possible options, things are explained very quickly so you'll want to try to familiarize yourself with some terms if possible. Also bring a notebook and pen so you can take good notes. If you're using this practice expect it to feel like a cattle call, and don't expect much personalized attention. Be your own best advocate.
Due to a high patient volume, it felt like many people were given the same protocol and there wasn't much outside of the box thinking for a tougher case. Bedside manner was very matter of fact, and advice was very standard. It felt like if your numbers weren't as high as some other clients you would be automatically directed to donor eggs. I very much felt like just another number here, and not like a person.
I did not get to the point of a cycle as it was uncertain what option the doctor felt was best to use. I could have proceed with donor eggs, or waited to see if they could figure out my case. If I proceeded with my own eggs an antagonist protocol was mentioned, with BCP to start. It was a frustrating experience as we hadn't even done my day 3 labs yet, and already I felt very dismissed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Robin)
I felt like my nurse provided good communicator and she was the one good aspect of my visit/experience with Shady Grove. I would highly recommended her as she was clear in her communication and was very kind and available for questions.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The refund plan they offer is a great deal if you happen to qualify and I can get why so many patients flock to this location. Financial department is a mess to deal with, they always seemed to give different numbers, and on one occasion I had a phone call scheduled with them and they never called me and didn't really offer an explanation/apology. It became very frustrating to deal with them. They from time to time didn't provide me with an accurate representation of what my insurance would cover as I later found out through working with a different clinic.
Initial visit and initial testing were covered though i never made it to the initial testing. I want to say my husband's SA was around 300$. The shared risk cycle would have been 22,500 plus medication and a banking cycle was an additional 7500$ or so plus medication cost. Though to be honest how the financial counselor laid out the expenses was very confusing and she kept giving me different numbers.
eSET was preferred in general, but if you were using a surrogate a double embryo transfer was okay but unadvertised.
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
I don't want to get too into specifics, but in my situation there really was a lot of back and forth and waiting time in creating a specific plan for me. It was very hard to get a clear strategy from my doctors and from the team as they weren't sure if certain things were possible. I was a patient there for about 7 months and never made it to a treatment cycle.

2013 - 2014, Unsuccessful
He [Dr Widra] is defensive and not open to listening to his patients. The whole time I had to push him to try something different. One cycle I called him a couple of times to let him know I felt the cycle was not going well, and he told me he thought it was going fine. I ended up with only one embryo. The next cycle he increased my meds I got four embryos. If he would have listened during the first cycle then I may not have need a second cycle.
Shady Grove has very convenient offices and flexible hours, which makes it convenient for pursuing fertility. However I think they could do more to customize for patients over 35 by having protocols set up for these patients....You always had to go through a nurse. And I was always having to suggest what should be done next. I should not have to manage the doctor. He should be up to date on research.
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
He is defensive and not open to listening to his patients. The whole time I had to push him to try something different. One cycle I called him a couple of times to let him know I felt the cycle was not going well, and he told me he thought it was going fine. I ended up with only one embryo. The next cycle he increased my meds I got four embryos. If he would have listened during the first cycle then I may not have need a second cycle.
Do not expect him to be proactive.
IVF and frozen eggs and genetic testing of embryos. He insisted on doing frozen cycles until I pushed him into freezing the eggs and genetic testing of embryos. I did not want to continually go through miscarriages, and I had one previously. Not sure why he would have ever suggested fresh IVF cycle for anyone over 40.
Carrie was a wonderful nurse, but Eric Widra would have her call me instead of talking to me himself. He was reactive and uncomfortable approaching patients.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady grove is fairly efficient with appointments and flexible. They have improved their scheduling and monitoring hours by opening up additional clinics to help with traffic.
All costs at shady grove are fairly uniform across.