5.1

5215 Loughboro Road, NW, Ste. 410
Washington, DC 20016
202.677.4720

Treated 2018 - 2019
Dr. Widra has many patients and isn't focused on day to day care. That being said, it's clear he knows who we are and the circumstances of our case. When we have worked with him directly he has not rushed us and been patient to answer all questions. Lastly, he has weighed all of our factors carefully as well as our financial planning, and helped us make decisions accordingly.... Dr. Widra is blunt and this is what you notice first and foremost about him. However he is compassionate in his own way
Shady Grove is a large practice and it is a business. They do their best to provide the best care but by nature because it is such a enormous practice you are constantly dealing with different people for all parts of the process. It would be easy to feel like a number but I actually don't. I think it does force you to realize you and your partner are in charge, and you must consistently speak up for yourself at every step. They appear to follow science to the enth degree and for that I respect them.
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Widra is blunt and this is what you notice first and foremost about him. However he is compassionate in his own way and he is extremely knowledgeable. He is also a leader in a large practice. If you you are looking for a straight shooter with a strong research background, he is your guy.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
Don't be afraid to push back and ask questions. He is flexible and understanding but because he is a bit intimidating it can be a bit hard. But I think he respects and appreciates when you are your own advocate.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the protocols Eric Widra used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
First cycle (fresh) : Vivelle patch, then Cetrotide injection, then pre eval, initial Dosing: 300 IU Gonal-F and 150 IU Menopur (2 vials), monitored follicles and finished with HCG Trigger injection. Retrevial two days later (7 eggs--> 2 embryos) and then 5 day transfer of 1 fresh and froze the other. Estradiol/Estrace and endrometrin during TWW. Negative preg test. Second cycle(ERA and FET): Estradiol/Estrace 2mg tablets 3 times a day, then lining check, then Progesterone in Oil 1 ml every third day, then 2 endometrin inserts 2x a day. ERA test showed late stage receptivity so timing of oil shots was shifted by 12 hours. Transfered 1 week ago and waiting for preg test.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Carrie )
Carrie is sweet, knowledgeable and typically available. She is our main POC and translates/communicates all information about our protocol. She has endless patience and is a treasure trove of information. She seems to always act on our behalf and has been a true reliable source of comfort and data. For monitoring, we see a revolving door of nurses and other medical staff. They are all nice, some more helpful than others, but haven't been dissatisfied with any. Just know that you really never have a singular person your dealing with on any given day, except our main nurse.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility.
In total for the fresch cycle, including meds, with 50% insurance we initially paid about $6000 for the first cycle. We were later reimbursed some of it due to a higher payout of the insurance. For the ERA and FET we paid I think around $2000 including meds with insurance.
Describe Eric Widra's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Strongly recommended against multiple transfers.

Treated 2017 - 2018
he [Dr. Eric Widra] has been the best at the worst times, meaning when things have gone off course he has been attentive and sympathetic...Don't expect to see a lot of him or have him at all your monitoring. However, his approach is great and he is amenable to your perspective and feedback...We tried iui but I ovulated before we could actually do the procedure (due to monitoring problems related to fibroids). For ivf, I did a course of birth control, then follistim and menopur, then added in ganirilex.
SGF is sort of factory but good in that monitoring is easy. Lots of open times for monitoring and SGF is a 24/7 facility, so that makes scheduling easy and good for getting answers. You don't always get a lot of personal treatment though and some of the techs are not great. Can be a bit hit or miss...Nursing staff was excellent. Carrie was a great communicator and had to address a lot of tough issues with us. Really love Latrice for monitoring - super professional and helpful.
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
I'm still in treatment with Dr. Widra. It has been a frustrating process for things outside his control. However, he has been the best at the worst times, meaning when things have gone off course he has been attentive and sympathetic.
Dr.Widra has a very straightforward manner that I appreciated. He doesn't do a lot of hand holding, which I didn't need. He also doesn't do a lot of the communication, which I would have preferred. His nurse, however, is very reachable and excellent. I had a complication during my ivf stimulation and Dr. Widra was really great about it.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Carrie)
I paid for a 2 package ivf with pgs testing. I think it was about 24K
Not applicable yet
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
Part clinic fault and part fibroids. We tried to do iui but I have fibroids. I had one bad tech visit for monitoring and the tech couldn't find my ovaries. As a result, I ovulated before we could do the procedure.
Treated 2016 - 2017
If you want a straightforward treatment, he [Dr. Wildra] is great and very step by step. If you have a more complicated case that requires exploring alternative options, maybe even combining eastern or holistic treatment then I recommend trying someone else...I used the same protocols for both FETs and both resulted in positive pregnancy but we miscarried at around 5 weeks or so...he started suggesting using a gestational carrier due to my low AmH. It was great that he was direct and up front but I also realized that we never looked at maybe treating the cause first before doing our second attempt. He knew about
We retrieved 10 eggs, 5 embryos survived and were sent for PGS testing and only 3 survived [with Shady Grove Fertility]. 2 embryos where successful FETs...Robin [nurse] was great, she was always easy to talk to and always reachable. She always kept in touch and would always reach out thru phone calls and leave voicemails... they are very organized and it helps especially if you are working because you can be in and out. The clinic is quite busy but they are on top of things and its always nice and clean. I remember they even have a wall of heart shaped post-its with messages from the patients there and I remember always reading them while I wait.
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
I chose to consult with Dr Widra because he had a high rating when I was doing my research and it mentioned that he stayed true to the facts and numbers. We appreciated that because he gave us a good idea of our odds. He was great at breaking it down and explaining the steps that he even made drawings to make sure we understood. After our first miscarriage, he called and explained that this happens and there is no way to really know what caused it. HIs tone was calm and hopeful so we decided to give it another go. That second attempt was also unsuccessful and unfortunately, he started suggesting using a gestational carrier due to my low AmH. It was great that he was direct and up front but I also realized that we never looked at maybe treating the cause first before doing our second attempt. He knew about my endometriosis and it showed on my MRI, he said it wasn't going to affect my chances of pregnancy but after two failed attempts, I wish I asked for a second opinion.
If you want a straightforward treatment, he is great and very step by step. If you have a more complicated case that requires exploring alternative options, maybe even combining eastern or holistic treatment then I recommend trying someone else.
when I miscarried, he gave me a call and left me a voicemail when I didn't answer. I appreciate him staying optimistic during our second round of embryo transfer, unfortunately it also did not stick. Also during the tons of bloodwork that I had to do, when I bumped into him at the clinic, he would greet me and know my name, I appreciate that
My FET protocol: Birth Control Pills - 21-day pack (1 - 2 packs) Del Estrogen (4 mg = 0.2 ml): 0.2 ml IM every third evening (#1 vial) Progesterone in Oil (50 mg/1 ml): 1 ml IM every night (#3 vials) I used the same protocols for both FETs and both resulted in positive pregnancy but we miscarried at around 5 weeks or so. My egg retrieval protocol: Initial medication dosing for the first three nights: PM: Gonal-F 225IU and Menopur 75IU (1 vial) Gonadotropins for 10 to 12 days with monitoring every 1-2 days Midway thru stimulation, once follicles are of appropriate size continuing gonadotropins and beginning Cetrotide/Ganirelix Once sufficient follicles >18mm we had Lupron trigger injection We retrieved 10 eggs, 5 embryos survived and were sent for PGS testing and only 3 survived. 2 embryos where successful FETs. I also unfortunately had a really bad reaction after my egg retrieval which left me in bed for days, I was nauseated and just weak. I was given anti-nausea meds and was told that people can have varying reactions and that this is normal
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Robin Peterson)
Robin was great, she was always easy to talk to and always reachable. She always kept in touch and would always reach out thru phone calls and leave voicemails. The entire nursing staff was alright, they remembered me for the number of times I go to the clinic and they always were very friendly and cordial
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I think the clinic is great, they are very organized and it helps especially if you are working because you can be in and out. The clinic is quite busy but they are on top of things and its always nice and clean. I remember they even have a wall of heart shaped post-its with messages from the patients there and I remember always reading them while I wait.
I remember getting a bill from the insurance company for around $10K
he said that due to my condition, pregnancy would be high risk so he strongly suggested to transfer only one embryo at a time

Treated 2013 - 2014
Know that even though he's not the warmest and seems very busy/rushed, he does care. Be prepared to have your primary relationship be with the nurses.
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Widra is a matter-of-fact communicator who tries to present a balanced view of options with accompanying benefits and risks. He is not very warm, but he's jovial and seems to care about his patients. Dr. Widra is very very busy, and as his patient, I felt rushed in communicating with him.
They did not get to know me as a human, but they didn't confuse me with other patients. My nurse switched twice over the course of my treatment, and since in Dr. Widra's practice the RNs are the primary points of contact for a patient, those transitions affected my experience.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Laura Appling)
At SGF, the nurses are the primary caregivers. In general, they are good nurses. They are caring and organized. That said, because the nurses are the primary points of contact for patients, any turnover on the nursing team is more challenging for patients than it would be if Dr. Widra managed the relationships on his panel more closely. This was my experience.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
Wait times at both of the SGF facilities I visited - K Street and Rockville - were long and unpredictable. K street will not perform IUIs with donor sperm, so I had to go out to the Rockville location every month for that procedure. The earliest available IUI is at 9:30, and it literally never happened at 9:30 even when I had the earliest slot. Most months, I would finish at the clinic around 11, meaning I missed half a day of work. This was frustrating, and it communicated to me that my time was less valuable than theirs. More importantly, though, with fertility issues, I as a patient was very sensitive to making sure that when I did have control of a particular variable, like timing of insemination, I took that seriously. Making a patient wait an undisclosed amount of time for an insemination may not be clinically problematic, but it made me anxious that I was missing "the window" and gave me the sense that SGF cared less about my success than I did.

Treated 2014 - 2015
Dr. Widra was frank and straightforward while also being patient and understanding. He cited studies and had ample evidence to support the decisions we made. We felt well cared for working with him. He was clear and concise which appealed to me and my husband...Dr. Widra was clear and patient with us. He was very compassionate when your first pregnancy, after an IUI, ended in a missed AB...
While they[Shday Grove - DC K St] see a lot of patients, I found them still attentive to me needs. I had a pretty straightforward case however, so that might have helped...We did a two-for-a-discount cycle, though we didn't end up needing the second cycle. We received some financial aid, I think the total without medication for this was $15,000...
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
Ask questions when you need to.
I'm afraid I don't remember the specifics here.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kristal)
She was responsive and kind.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
While they see a lot of patients, I found them still attentive to me needs. I had a pretty straightforward case however, so that might have helped.
I was able to schedule for a general time, and was usually seen reasonable close to that scheduled time. If running late and I needed to get to an appointment elsewhere, they were able to accommodate my needs.

Treated 2017 - 2018
He [Dr. Widra] was very helpful in explaining the process...I do think that they don't have as much time to spend on patients due to the number of patients they see each day. It is a little difficult to schedule appointment son weekends...IF you need to speak with the Doctor himself make appointment sot see him yourself. After the first session you will be communicating with your assigned nurse.
strength: you can make appointments very easily ( except for on weekends) - My Dr is always available for a phone visit. I also like the webinars Shady Grove Fertility conducts every week. My nurse is also a great communicator, and the wait time for tests aren't too long. Weakness: I would have appreciated if someone would sit with me to describe the results more in detail....my nurse is very good in communicating the test results and next steps with me
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
He was very helpful in explaining the process. the nurse is also very helpful. I do think that they don't have as much time to spend on patients due to the number of patients they see each day. It is a little difficult to schedule appointment son weekends with the Rockvile Office
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
my nurse is very good in communicating the test results and next steps with me
I haven't done that yet

Treated 2017
The clinic [Shady Grove] is too big, i have 6 ultrasounds with 5 different technicians, the retrival is in a place different from the office and nobody you know is there. Its a well functioning machine, but a little bit impersonal...The one and only time I saw him [Dr. Eric Widra] , he was quite clear about expectations and probabilities for a patient who was 44 years old. He was open, a good listener, the only thing I didnt like is that he insisted in some test, that I have already done within the past year, as if they were trying to bill more for their clinic...He was very open about probabilities of pregnancy at 44 years old, and he explained that given good hormonal results that we could try a few times with PGD to see if there are any viable embryos. I found him quite honest.
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
the one and only time I saw him, he was quite clear about expectations and probabilities for a patient who was 44 years old. He was open, a good listener, the only thing I didnt like is that he insisted in some test, that I have already done within the past year, as if they were trying to bill more for their clinic.
ANTAGONIST
She was accessible by email and phone (through an answering machine), she was always positive and nice
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic is too big, i have 6 ultrasounds with 5 different technicians, the retrival is in a place different from the office and nobody you know is there. Its a well functioning machine, but a little bit impersonal
18K covered by health insurance

Treated 2011 - 2015
clean Friendly state of the art equipment [at Shady Grove Fertility-Washington DC]... Dr. Widra is smart and I really liked him. He was sometimes serious but I prefer my doctor to be serious and understand what he is doing than be cheerful and not know what he is doing. One thing I didn't like about him was his preference for singleton versus having twins.... Dr. Widra would patiently answer all my questions though sometime he would appear to get exasperated with me. Maybe not his fault. I usually would read up a lot and come with too many questions.
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
Do not be bothered by his not so cheerful personality
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Carrie Andrews)
She followed up adequately
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
clean Friendly state of the art equipment
I already did. Dr Widra preferred singletons and would always advise you so. I was very upset that he seemed relieved when one of the two heartbeats we had seen previously was no longer progressing.
Washington DC

Dr. Widra is not what most people would call "warm" but he is very knowledgeable and straightforward, traits that are more important to me in a fertility doctor. He's very good at explaining options and addressed my concerns without me feeling like I had been dismissed.
Not a major error, but the care coordinator missed the window for a diagnostic test.... Shady Grove has some great aspects: they do a lot of volume, so I think their lab is very good, and they have a lot of locations which is very convenient, especially for me as I live close to one lab but work closer to another. Downside is that it can feel somewhat impersonal and like you're not getting a lot of individualized attention.
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
Do not expect a lot of "hand holding" per se.
He's very personable but it's overall a very large practice.
Too early in treatment to know.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Chloe)
Nurses have overall been great.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
So far, most of my treatment has been covered by insurance.