5.2

5215 Loughboro Road, NW, Ste. 410
Washington, DC 20016
202.677.4720

2013 - 2018, Successful
When I was doing the IUIs (2), I felt more like a number. But as we moved into our IVF cycles, I had increased interactions with Dr. Widra. After my first miscarriage, I felt Dr. Widra responded with genuine compassion and personalized care. From then on, I felt he really knew me and my history...I found Dr. Widra to be compassionate, but also frank. He didn't sugarcoat anything, but I certainly never found him cold....
I actually went through 2 nurses [at Shady Grove] who were not good communicators, not organized, and with whom I was not happy. After my negative experience with the second, I spoke with my doctor and he had me transferred to another nurse, who was excellent. She was clearly so much better than either of the first two....Strengths: multiple locations, very good hours for appointments, usually pretty efficient monitoring hours Weaknesses: takes some time before various personnel get to know you. your doctor is likely not going to do your procedures
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
My husband and I found Dr. Widra to be compassionate, but also frank. He didn't sugarcoat anything, but I certainly never found him cold. When trying for my first, we went through a number of retrievals and transfers and I appreciated feeling "known" despite being at a very large clinic that has a reputation for being a factory. I am detail oriented and Dr. Widra always took the time to answer my questions, whether in person or on the phone. While much of my communication was with my nurse, if there was difficult or sensitive information to deliver, he always called me himself and I never felt rushed off the phone. We ended up doing PGS testing and when I became pregnant, Dr. Widra told me to call him if I ever had any questions. We were indeed told at one point in my pregnancy that we should consider an amnio to rule out chromosomal abnormalities. At this point it had been a few months since I saw Dr. Widra, but I called him and he returned my call within hours. We went back to Dr. Widra when we were ready to try for our second, and unfortunately we did not have success. After two cycles, he recommended we move on to donor egg. While we weren't (aren't) ready to do that, I appreciated his honesty about how he views our situation.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
That he may not be the warmest upon first impression, but you should not take his frankness for a lack of compassion.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
In the early part of my treatment, when I was doing the IUIs (2), I felt more like a number. But as we moved into our IVF cycles, I had increased interactions with Dr. Widra. After my first miscarriage, I felt Dr. Widra responded with genuine compassion and personalized care. From then on, I felt he really knew me and my history.
Describe the protocols Eric Widra used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I began with fairly low doses of menopur and bravelle, 75 and 150, respectively. But that cycle did not produce many follicles. In my subsequent cycles, I was using higher doses -- around 150 menopur and 300 bravelle. I did two antagonist protocols: bcp followed by stims, with cetrotide added when the follicles got to a certain size. While these yielded a decent number of eggs, Dr. Widra thought we might be able to get more with estrogen priming, so we did that for my last cycle when trying for my first. When trying for my second, we started with estrogen priming since that had yielded the most eggs when I was trying for my first. However, that did not result in many eggs, so Dr. Widra proposed a micro-dose Lupron protocol.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
I actually went through 2 nurses who were not good communicators, not organized, and with whom I was not happy. After my negative experience with the second, I spoke with my doctor and he had me transferred to another nurse, who was excellent. She was clearly so much better than either of the first two. I actually had a similar experience the second time around. I started out with a pretty subpar nurse, but spoke to the office manager and was transferred to a nurse who was incredible. So I think the bottom line is that there is a range of nurses at the clinic and I would recommend self-advocating if you feel unhappy with your nurse.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove is huge and therefore has the expected strengths and weaknesses. Strengths: multiple locations, very good hours for appointments, usually pretty efficient monitoring hours Weaknesses: takes some time before various personnel get to know you. your doctor is likely not going to do your procedures
I found monitoring appointments pretty easy because there were multiple locations I could go. There were often multiple women waiting, but that didn't negatively impact my experience. I knew that the earlier I went, the less time I would have to wait. Very occasionally, I would be taken to a room and then had to wait for 10-15 minutes, but usually once I was taken to a room, I was seen within a few minutes.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility.
I was part of shared risk, both times. That meant I paid an upfront fee (~25,000) that covered up to 6 cycles and I got my money back if it didn't work.
Describe Eric Widra's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Dr. Widra had a strong preference for eSET given that we were exclusively transferring 5 day embryos. I appreciated this approach, given that it is safer for both women and babies.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
I honestly don't remember the exact details, but there was an incident with a nurse giving me conflicting or inaccurate information. I followed-up with my doctor, who clearly provided the accurate information and also made sure that I was re-assigned to a different and more competent nurse.
Sibley
2015 - 2017, Unsuccessful
Dr Widra is very business - like and straightforward. He is not warm and fuzzy, but provides ample time and explanation for everything. He i s knowledgeable about his field and talks to help patients understand. He always checked in and checked up on me after procedures or to review results. I did find however, that I wished for some more individuated protocols tailored to my specific situation. Or the willingness to try something new or different.
I mostly went to the K street office of Shady Grove Fertility. The front desk staff, nurses who take blood and ultrasound technicians were amazing. They are so friendly, nice, gentle, and caring. I sometimes had to wait a while before being seen since the office is so busy which is not great, but as people, the staff is fantastic...Kristal was amazing. She always called promptly with results, was caring, and compassionate and provided accurate information in a timely manner. Kristal then left the practice and I was assigned Myasia Reliford who was good, but not quite as thorough or talkative/compassionate as Kristal.
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
Feel free to push back and suggest other options if you have them. Know that you are going to get straightforward treatment and respect, but not warm fuzzy hugs from Widra.
Dr Widra and the staff are very nice and try to make appointments and conversations as comfortable as possible. However, I did find that the actual protocols were less tailored to me as a person and that they do the same for everyone. I like that Dr Widra is straightforward.
We started with IUI using Clomid, then added a Gonadotropin, then Ovidrel trigger. None of 5 times I tried the IUI worked. Then for my first attempt at IVF, we did an Antagonist Vivelle Protocol with Vivelle, Cetrotide, and Gonadotropin. Towards the end of the protocol, we were not seeing many eggs being produced so we changed the IVF to an IUI cycle which was unsuccessful. For the next cycle, I did a low dose minimal stimulation protocol with Letrozole, Cetrotide, and Menopur. This also resulted in only 2 eggs being produced. Both fertilized and we implanted both embryos. We did not test these as Widra said there were no options, so no need to test. This cycle resulted in a chemical pregnancy that quickly failed. For the final IVF cycle, I did the same low dose minimal stimulation protocol and only had two eggs, and only was was able to be retrieved. The egg fertilized, was implanted, but resulted in a negative pregnancy test. The rationale for using the low dose stimulation was that with the converted IVF cycle I had taken more medications and it hadnt produced more eggs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kristal Lewis)
All in all, the costs were about $10,000

2012 - 2016, Successful
We started straight with IVF - due to my age at the time (42) we agreed not to 'waste' time IUI. I did one egg retrieval- we transferred 3- negative pregnancy test with none viable remaining to freeze. We then met with him to discuss next steps- he said we could try another round of egg retrieval- but given my age and odds- we decided to go to donor eggs. We had 9 embryos- did one transfer and Imiscarried at 6.5 weeks, then we did another transfer which resulted in a chemical pregnancy. The next transfer we transferred 2 embryos which resulted in a chemical pregnancy. We then did PGD on remaining 5 embryos since Dr. Widra felt the results seemed unlikely- came back that only one was chromosomally normal. We were scheduled for another transfer but the morning of the transfer it was cancelled bec. embryo did not survive the thaw. we then discussed options I had adenomyosis? in my uterus that were detected before my first cycle- we retested to see if it got bigger- it did. We talked about options- surgery, try again without surgery and we decided most likely scenario for live birth is gestational carrier. moved forward with new donor and gestational carrier.
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Widra was kind and direct, responsive. Sometimes hard to book appointments due to his busy schedule. He made himself available when there were urgent situations where we needed to be in touch. we would definitely recommend him.
He is factual and clear- if you need a lot of hand holding and warm and fuzzy he may not be who you want (although he is definitely warm and kind).
He is kind but direct
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
They were very responsive and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I liked the sibley location because it was quiet and not overwhelming.
it was a lot
With my eggs- we transferred three embryos given my age. With donor eggs we transferred one because of his urging- but he allowed two when we weren't getting pregnant. Given costs and complication with gestational carrier he allowed us to transfer two embryos.

2012 - 2015, Successful
Dr. Widra called me from out-of-town to express his disappointment about the ectopic pregnancy and then called me again when he learned that I had emergency surgery to deal with the ruptured ectopic. That really impressed me. Additionally, Dr. Widra always treated me well and like a human during office appointments and monitoring appointments. I never felt like he didn't care. Also, Dr. Widra never cancelled one of my cycles. Even if it looked like I might be maturing too many follicles (during timed intercourse cycles), Dr. Widra would adjust the medications and I was able to trigger with every cycle. I can't say enough good things about my experience with Dr. Widra and Shady Grove...
Shady Grove is professional, on-the-ball, reassuring, and staffed with very competent and caring staff members. I cannot say enough about the faith I had in everyone that I encountered. The only negative that I think some people might have is that it is a bigger clinic and so could feel like a cattle call. But I think that's an asset, as it means they have seen and dealt with everything before and perhaps even that same day!...
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
I went through 9 cycles of various treatments with Dr. Widra (the last two of which resulted in ongoing pregnancies spaced two years apart). During my 7th cycle, I had an ectopic pregnancy that eventually ended up rupturing (not the fault of Dr. Widra or Shady Grove fertility). Dr. Widra called me from out-of-town to express his disappointment about the ectopic pregnancy and then called me again when he learned that I had emergency surgery to deal with the ruptured ectopic. That really impressed me. Additionally, Dr. Widra always treated me well and like a human during office appointments and monitoring appointments. I never felt like he didn't care. Also, Dr. Widra never cancelled one of my cycles. Even if it looked like I might be maturing too many follicles (during timed intercourse cycles), Dr. Widra would adjust the medications and I was able to trigger with every cycle. I can't say enough good things about my experience with Dr. Widra and Shady Grove.
It can take some time to get an appointment with Dr. Widra, so if you want to start treatment in May, think about calling for a May appointment in Feb or March. In my experience, thought, this was only true for initial appointments; once I was undergoing treatment, I had appointments with Dr. Widra that we scheduled only a week or two out.
I went through 9 cycles of various treatments with Dr. Widra. During my 7th cycle, I had an ectopic pregnancy that eventually ended up rupturing (not the fault of Dr. Widra or Shady Grove fertility). Dr. Widra called me from out-of-town to express his disappointment about the ectopic pregnancy and then called me again when he learned that I had emergency surgery to deal with the ruptured ectopic. That really impressed me. Additionally, Dr. Widra always treated me well and like a human during office appointments and monitoring appointments. I never felt like he didn't care.
My treatment for my first child was primarily dictated by the requirements of my insurance company (which provided coverage for IVF, but only if I tried a certain number of timed intercourse and IUI cycles first). But within those requirements, Dr. Widra first had me go through 2 cycles of timed intercourse with clomid and progesterone suppositories, and then switched me to injectibles (Bravelle) and progesterone suppositories when I had vision issues with clomid (I wasn't taking a high dose). Then I went through 4 cycles of timed intercourse with injectibles to fulfill my insurance requirements, and an IUI cycle with injectibles (Bravelle) and progesterone suppositories again to fulfill insurance requirements. The IUI resulted in an ectopic pregnancy that Shady Grove quickly treated, but still ended up rupturing and requiring emergency surgery. After that point, I was finally allowed to proceed to IVF, which produced two 5-day blasts (using Bravelle, menopur, HGH, estradiol, and endometrin) . One was using during that first cycle (and resulted in my son) and the other was frozen for future use. I did end up with over-stimulated ovaries, but I don't think this was the result of Dr. Widra being too aggressive with treatment (as I didn't end up with dozens of retrieved eggs), but is just something that happened. Shady Grove treated me with a blood thinner and an outpatient procedure to drain fluid. A year after my son was born, I went through a frozen embryo transfer with Dr. Widra using the embryo that was produced during my previous IVF cycle (as well as a combination of endometrin, PIO injections, and estradiol injections). This cycle was also successful and (fingers crossed) my daughter will be born in May 2016.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Carrie Andrews)
I can not say enough good things about my nurses at Shady Grove (Carrie Andrews and before her Sarah Evans). So on top of things, organized, caring....they both had all of the qualities that you would want in a nurse and never, ever let me down. And in the case of Sarah, we worked together for 8 cycles over 1.5 years and I threw so many issues at her, and she always responded quickly and thoughtfully. I only worked with Carrie for 1 (successful) cycle, but she also displayed these same qualities, which I am sure would have continued had I needed additional treatments or cycles.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
8 (including one IUI and one IVF) of my 9 cycles were covered by insurance, and I never had any cost or billing issues. My 9th cycle was paid out-of-pocket, but the fees were fair for the procedure and I was able to participate in a research study that lowered my costs (without degrading my care)
2013 - 2014, Successful
Dr. Widra has a more direct style, though he is still compassionate and sensitive. Also, he does not give out his email address (as some REs do) so all your questions will go through a nurse.
Sometimes [Shady Grove] can feel like a bit of a factory. I felt comfort in that because I knew they had tons of experience...At times, I was given conflicting information about the prices of specific treatment services. Other times, I was not told at all that I would be billed for something.
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
I had very positive experiences with Dr. Widra. He does not have a "warm and fuzzy" personality, but he is still very sensitive. He conveys information and options in a very clear, direct but yet very compassionate way. When we went in for an 8 week sonogram after our first IVF treatment, he found that there had been a miscarriage. He handled the situation extremely well, and made us feel very supported and comforted.
It can be hard to feel a lot of personal attention at Shady Grove. Shady Grove is a huge practice. I believe I read somewhere they do more IVF procedures than anywhere in the country. So sometimes it can feel like a bit of a factory. I felt comfort in that because I knew they had tons of experience. I didn't need personal attention as much as I needed to know that the doctors knew how to get results! However, when it became clear that my case was more complicated, I felt that I got the more personal attention I needed. Dr. Widra brought me and my husband in for a special meeting to talk next steps and a plan. I also felt that at every step of the way, when I had questions or concerns, someone was there to answer them.
Carrie was an absolute dream. She was kind and compassionate, responsive and reassuring. She was extremely knowledgeable and set my mind at ease.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
My only hiccups came from the financial counselors. At times, I was given conflicting information about the prices of specific treatment services. Other times, I was not told at all that I would be billed for something. I also had a hard time getting an acceptable receipt for my FSA plan.
2009 - 2013, Successful
My wife and I were clear that we wanted to get pregnant with IUI and if it wasn't going to happen, we thought we would accept that. It took almost 2 years to get pregnant the first time and Dr Widra respected our wishes and did not once attempt to push us into a different course of treatment, even though his #1 objective as a reproductive endocrinologist, is to get women pregnant as quickly as possible. I continue to be very grateful for that.
I had a few care coordinators [at Shady Grove], and generally they were fine. They have a hard job, managing emotionally challenging situations, calling with highly anticipated test results. But admittedly I never felt a real connection with any of them. I understand that that may be a lot to ask....Functionally competent, efficient, solid customer service....He was direct and compassionate when there was bad news. I appreciated his sense of humor, which he used adeptly and with sensitivity. It helped me keep a sense of perspective when things looked bleak. He did not make promises that weren't his to keep and he was helpful at managing our expectations.
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
he treated us honestly and respectfully - like adults who don't need to be coddled - and while we certainly had some challenges, we now have 2 healthy kids. I'm not sure what else I can say. So much of this journey is out of our control.
As I mentioned previously, we were patient with wanting to get pregnant with IUIs. I had 2 miscarriages before my daughter was born. I was given choices on how to conclude the miscarriages. Those choices were respected. After each, some test was proposed to see if there was an identifiable reason. There wasn't. And eventually I got pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
I had a few care coordinators, and generally they were fine. They have a hard job, managing emotionally challenging situations, calling with highly anticipated test results. But admittedly I never felt a real connection with any of them. I understand that that may be a lot to ask.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Functionally competent, efficient, solid customer service.
2 IUIs per cycle at $395 each, I think. My insurance did not pay for IUIs. Bloodwork, D&C, HSG we're all covered.
Washington DC

Dr Widra is an experienced professional, willing to take older women who normally have a slower chance of success. I found this aspect in him and in his clinic worthy of recognition because I went to another clinic before where you can sense that the doctor was not willing to sacrifice his success rates by taking a woman over 43. He was very clear on my expectations and agreed to accompany my desire to become a single mother at an old age (44 years old). He and his team are on top of the latest research and he doesnt set unrealistic expectations.
Shady Grove it a big clinic and the relationship with the patient is lead by the nurse. The Doctor sees you when he needs to diagnose and follows the treatment providing feedback through the nurse....well functioning machine for fertility treatments....We did an IVF cycle and then we decided to follow up with IUIs because at 45 years old the success rates were similar and the cost and impact on the body was more manageable for me with IUI than with IVF (and IVF was covered by my health insurance)
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
Prepare yous questions in advance and ask him all you want to ask, and also, he is available by email if needed to respond any questions you might have.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
well functioning machine for fertility treatments.

2013 - 2017, Successful
I always felt Dr. Widra was providing the best possible treatment recommendations. His recommendations were always grounded in empirical data (% chance of success / risks / outcomes). He was available either through appointment or over the phone to address any concerns or answer questions. We had a very positive experience...I always felt Dr. Widra was providing the best possible treatment recommendations. His recommendations were always grounded in empirical data (% chance of success / risks / outcomes). He was available either through appointment or over the phone to address any concerns or answer questions. We had a very positive experience.
Strengths [of Shady Grove]: multiple locations, weekend hours, increasing amount of services provided by their office as opposed to outside providers Weaknesses: not all services at all locations...I always felt Dr. Widra was providing the best possible treatment recommendations. His recommendations were always grounded in empirical data (% chance of success / risks / outcomes). He was available either through appointment or over the phone to address any concerns or answer questions. We had a very positive experience.
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
Express what you are looking for and what you are comfortable / uncomfortable with. I believe he listens and takes that into account very well.
Dr. Widra has always listened to what we were hoping to achieve and recommended the lowest interventions possible. It never felt as though he was trying to sell any services, but rather focused on achieving results in a manner we were comfortable with.
Clomid + IUI
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Strengths: multiple locations, weekend hours, increasing amount of services provided by their office as opposed to outside providers Weaknesses: not all services at all locations
~2,500/IUI

2015, Successful
Dr Widra was candid and direct, which I greatly needed after seeing another doctor (with another group) who was always vague. Dr Widra showed me stats and talked me through everything in a clear manner...Given that I had low ovarian reserve he focused on producing as many eggs as possible and was very attentive during monitoring to adjust medications as needed...Ask as many questions, Dr Widra is very open.
Monitoring [at Shady Grove DC] is a pain, and they have a ton of patients, but it was managed well....I had a good insurance, but the staff was exceptionally knowledgeable and knew how to maximize insurance....I had a one on one nurse who was always available and when she wasn't, I was informed who to contact. I could email or call anytime...[Nurse] She was direct and careful. Would ask about my mental health and was available for emails and calls
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
Ask as many questions, Dr Widra is very open.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Rachel)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Only limitation was sometimes they would need to ask the doctor, which was reasonable.
Monitoring is a pain, and they have a ton of patients, but it was managed well.
2012 - 2015, Successful
We wanted a physician who is an expert in his practice and experienced in diagnosis and treatment. Dr. Widra fit this description perfectly. He fully explained the course of treatment, gave us clear expectations, and met every predicted outcome - successfully.
We had two cycles, and two nurses [at Shady Grove Fertility] . The first was wonderful - clear in her communication and organized. The second we did not care for as much - felt we had to initiate communication and that her instructions were rushed and not as clear as we would have liked.
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
He knows what he is doing, you are in excellent hands.
We found Dr. Widra to be warm and friendly, straightforward with his diagnosis and plan, clear and concise with a plan of action. Exactly what we wanted.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
We had two cycles, and two nurses. The first was wonderful - clear in her communication and organized. The second we did not care for as much - felt we had to initiate communication and that her instructions were rushed and not as clear as we would have liked.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic is excellent. They are capable and professional.
Washington DC
I highly recommend Dr. Widra. Friends have been successful. He is honest, compassionate, trustworthy and very skilled....Go see him. You will know where you stand and he will always be up front.
They [the staff at Shady Grove] understood the journey on which you were embarking and the emotion surrounding it. Dr. Widra and all of the Shady Grove staff were so compassionate...When I got a negative result she could not have been kinder and more compassionate.
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
Go see him. You will know where you stand and he will always be up front.
They understood the journey on which you were embarking and the emotion surrounding it. Dr. Widra and all of the Shady Grove staff were so compassionate. When I read the story of this site's founders I was compelled to do the survey because we were lucky enough to have a great experience. And I am confident I would be writing this even if I did not become pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Sandra)
When I got a negative result she could not have been kinder and more compassionate. And when I became pregnant, she was elated. They are in lock step with you.

2009 - 2010, Successful
He was kind, engaged, focused on me and my issues, while being forthcoming and honest. Did not have a God complex like I saw at Dominion Fertility.
[The nursing staff was] good but not always as on the ball as I wanted given how anxious you tend to be... One Friday I did not receive an update call. It was v frustrating but not unforgivable.
Done previously.
Use other tools to keep perspective such as yoga and meditation.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Shady Grove Fertility.
Good but not always as on the ball as I wanted given how anxious you tend to be. They were good but it is the hardest thing most of their patients have ever gone through.