Medical SchoolDuke
FellowshipUCSF
675 Arapeen Way
SLC, UT 84108
(801) 581‑3834
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Erica Johnstone to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 73%Neutral: 27%9
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend University of Utah to a friend?
2013 - 2018
5 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Doctor Johnstone always responded promply to emails. She responded within 24 hours as advertised, but usually lots sooner. I had some bleeding early on with my first pregnancy Dr. Johnstone adjusted her schedule and got me in that morning and checked me out personally. Dr. Johnstone is a wonderful doctor and has spoiled me for other doctors. I have gone to other doctors expecting the same care and it just doesn't happen. There are few doctors as good as doctor Johnstone. I always felt like she really cared.
2013 - 2018
5 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
Go in prepared to ask questions. Doctor Johnstone will take the time to answer your questions. If you just feel clueless that is ok too. Doctor Johnstone explains things very clearly and does all that she can to make sure you understand your options and what is going on.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
Dr. Johnstone was always kind, but honest about what to expect with each procedure. When results came back negative she was always the one to call me not a random nurse. I always felt like she had my best interest in mind and did all she could within her power to help us.
Describe the protocols Erica Johnstone used in your cycles at University of Utah and their degree of success.
We started out trying IUI with clomid. My AMH levels were good so we tried this first. I responded well to clomid so we tried IUI's 3 times all resulted in negative pregnancy tests. We went on vacation and just did a clomid round that month with was also negative. The next two months we did IUI's with clomid and a couple of days of injectable medication follow by a trigger shots. Both months ended with negative pregnancy tests. A few months later I started IVF with a lupron down regulating prior to start IVF fertility meds. Also my AMH levels came back poor which resulted in me using high levels of fertility meds. When I went to my lining check most of my folicals had disappeared depite the high levels of fertility meds. That cycle was canceled and I just went in for another IUI. That cycle resulted in another negative pregnancy test. We did another IVF round this time Dr. Johns didn't have me use lupron. The cycle was much more natural, but I still used very high levels of fertility meds. They were able to retrieve 11 eggs, 10 of which fertilized, but only one made it to be a day 5 embryo. The one embryo was transferred, but still resulted in a negative pregnancy test. Following this we looked into adoption and also embryo donation. We went to another state and tried two rounds of donor embryos under another doctors care. Dr. Johnstone helped us out with all of the testing and lining checks before each frozen embryo transfer with the other doctors in another state. Doctor Johnstone was still very supportive while we worked with another doctor. One donor embryo cycle was negative and the next one ended up being a chemical pregnancy. Following that we returned to Doctor Johnstone to do IVF with donor eggs. We qualified for a guarantee program and decided to participate in it. Our first donor cycle ended before the transfer date. None of the embryos made it. We chose a second donor who backed out a few days before we started medication. We made it to our transfer date with our third donor. We had 6 five day embryos on the transfer date. We decided to transfer 2 embryos which resulted in our twins. We were able to freeze the other 4 embryos. Recently we we t back for a frozen embryo cycle which resulted in positive pregnancy tests. Right now I am taking meds and waiting for my viability scan when I reach 7 weeks pregnant. We are excited and hoping for the best. We are so greatful for all of doctor Johnstones help and support though out this journey.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Danielle Moore)
Danielle Moore and Jennifer Baxter were wonderful to work with. I got regular emails and reminders from them which helped a lot.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
This clinic is so good it has gotten very popular in the last couple of years. It takes a few months to get into. However, it is worth the wait. I called for an appointment back in January and the soonest I could get an appointment was June. Once we got in everyrhing has gone very quickly. I think they are doing the best they can to meet the patient demand. They continue to review their practices to meet their current patients needs as well as finding ways to help more and more new patients. Things are a bit busier this time, but I still feel like everyone knows who I am, why am there and I feel like they have my best interest in mind.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Erica Johnstone at University of Utah.
IUI $1,400 IVF about $9,000 IVF meds $1,500 - $5,000 Frozen embryo transfer $2,720 IVF with egg donor about $20,000
Describe Erica Johnstone's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Utah.
Our doctor encouraged us to only transfer one embryo when we used donor eggs. We got a little anxious once we had to choose a third egg donor and chose to transfer 2 embryos instead of the recommended 1. It was a very difficult pregnancy and doctor Johnstone was right to suggest only transferring one embryo. However, they were supportive when we chose to transfer 2.
Other, Unexplained
The doctor [Dr. Erica Johnstone] will provide options for your journey, but you will need to be prepared to make decisions on how aggressive you want to be... first suggested surgery to fix my bicornuate uterus. She thought that this may have been a cause of our infertility, especially if there wasn't sufficient blood flow to the top of the uterus. I have always ovulated on my own and never had problems with my cycle, but she prescribed Clomid to increase the number of eggs that would be released, in hopes that this would increase the chance that one would be fertilized. Since we wanted to be more aggressive, she coupled this with IUI. My side effects from the Clomid were not ideal, so she switched me to Letrazole. Unfortunately, no one of the IUIs worked, but she gave me all of the options possible to maximize my chances of getting pregnant.
Latino, Native American
Other, Unexplained
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
Dr. Johnstone has been amazing. I was so frustrated when I first went to see her because it felt like we had been trying to get pregnant on our own forever. She met with us to create a plan and explained what to expect during our journey. She was very matter-of-fact, but also sensitive to how we were feeling about each step. Infertility is a scary journey, but I felt very comfortable in her care.
The doctor will provide options for your journey, but you will need to be prepared to make decisions on how aggressive you want to be.
Dr. Johnstone first suggested surgery to fix my bicornuate uterus. She thought that this may have been a cause of our infertility, especially if there wasn't sufficient blood flow to the top of the uterus. I have always ovulated on my own and never had problems with my cycle, but she prescribed Clomid to increase the number of eggs that would be released, in hopes that this would increase the chance that one would be fertilized. Since we wanted to be more aggressive, she coupled this with IUI. My side effects from the Clomid were not ideal, so she switched me to Letrazole. Unfortunately, no one of the IUIs worked, but she gave me all of the options possible to maximize my chances of getting pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Molly (I think))
They are all very sensitive to the nature of our situation, which I greatly appreciate. I also like that I can email them with my questions anytime during the week and they respond within a day.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The University of Utah is very research-based, which I like. Overall a great place for infertility treatment. My only complaint is that there isn't a clinic closer to where I live. I have to drive 2 hours each way for an appointment.
My insurance was not accepted by the UofU, so we had to pay for surgery ($1,000), IUIs ($400 x 3), etc., out of pocket. Fertility treatments are usually not covered anyway, so this was not hugely different than if we went somewhere else.
Not applicable.
SLC
Erica [Dr. Johnstone] was fantastic. she had this soft manner in her work and in her voice that made me always feel so calm and at ease. Infertility is a stressful time as it is and with her manner and her genuine care i felt like i was in the best hands.... even though you do not see erica every appointment know that she has the worlds best nurses and you are in great hands.
European, Other
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
Erica was fantastic. she had this soft manner in her work and in her voice that made me always feel so calm and at ease. Infertility is a stressful time as it is and with her manner and her genuine care i felt like i was in the best hands.
I would say that even though you do not see erica every appointment know that she has the worlds best nurses and you are in great hands.
I felt that every time I came into the office they knew me, they remembered what we had been through. Also when we had bad news of a cancelled cycle they were very considerate and I felt like they cared by trying everything possible to not make that happen again. Also the communication between me and the nurses was incredible I never felt like I was doing all the work or the only one who cared.
first cycle was a plan for an IUI. she prescribed me provera to induce my period. After provera and on the 2nd day of my cycle i went in for an ultrasound and also to start Famera 3 pills a day for 5 days. After 5 days i went back for an ultra sound. At this ultrasound i had 3 non mature eggs so i was then prescribed Gonal F (37.5ml) for 3 days. After 3 days i went back in for an ultrasound and found that i had 1 egg that was mature at 22 mm and the rest fell behind and stopped growing. At this point i was to do the trigger shot that night and then 36 hours later i had an IUI with fresh sperm. After this i had progesterone for 14 days and after that i took a pregnancy test which was negative. Cycle 2 we did the exact same protocol, after day 3 of my Gonal F injections we saw on the ultrasound that i made 7 mature eggs resulting in a cancelled cycle and restrain from sex. Cycle 3- we decided to only try Famera this round, i took 3 pills a day for 5 days and then on day 10 i went in for an ultrasound showing that i had 3 eggs that were not mature yet, erica decided to let me coast. I went in three days later and found that 3 eggs were mature. We waited one extra day and then did the trigger shot and again 36 hours later did an IUI with frozen sperm due to my husband being out of the country. After 14 days we got a negative pregnancy test.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Heidi and Sara)
I can't Say how much i love and appreciate Heidi and Sara. I have never had nurses care so much about me in my life. They cared just as much as i did about me getting pregnant. The communication between us was so easy and i knew that if i ever had a question they would call me back within 15 minutes. They were amazing
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
This clinic is very calm and quiet. They havea request to not bring children into the office which i could not agree more with. With the sensitivity of this manner i thought it was a very appropriate thing. I thought they were very organized and helpful when trying to make an appoitment
my insurance has not covered much but we paid about 250 each doctor visit and with medication and IUI, Sperm sample, freezing, ultrasounds. We ended up paying about 3,000 each cycle and we have done 3
SLC
My experience with dr Johnstone was great. Although I did only see her a couple times, it did not bother me one but because she has the worlds best nurses. I felt as though dr Johnstone cared as much as I did about getting pregnant and her compassion and her soft manner helped me relax.... Our first cycle we did provera for 7 days to induce period, ultrasound on day 3 of my period. We then started letrozole (famera) for 5 days 3 pills a day.
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
My experience with dr Johnstone was great. Although I did only see her a couple times, it did not bother me one but because she has the worlds best nurses. I felt as though dr Johnstone cared as much as I did about getting pregnant and her compassion and her soft manner helped me relax. Although we still have not gotten pregnant like we hoped I still feel as though I am getting the correct treatment and I trust my doctor and nurses completely.
Just knowing that you won’t see dr Johnstone as much as I though it really didn’t matter. She had amazing nurses who take care of you just as much as dr Johnstone would.
Going through infertility you are already so sensitive. It’s a hard topic, hard time emotionally and physically. Whenever I would go into the office for my appointment they knew who I was, called me by name and remembered exactly what we have been though. I genuinely felt like dr Johnstone and her nurses cared about me as a person and not just a patient
I am currently living in the Philippines and we tried every way possible to get pregnant here including 3 iui’s. It didn’t work. So we have traveled back to Utah 3 times to do iui’s. Our first cycle we did provera for 7 days to induce period, ultrasound on day 3 of my period. We then started letrozole (famera) for 5 days 3 pills a day. Then on day 5 of letrozol I went in for another ultrasound. This scan showed I had 3 not mature eggs I think about 10mm so she decided to do gonal f for 3 days 37 units a day. I then went back after 3 days and saw that 1 egg had made it for 24mm. That night we did the trigger shot, waited 36 hours and did an iui with fresh sperm. This resulted in a negative pregnancy test. Our second iui in Utah was done the exact same way, same medicine same ultrasounds but when I got to my ultrasound 3 days after taking gonal f they say I had 6 mature eggs and dr Johnstone believed we should cancel that cycle. Our third iui she decided to just do letrozol. So I did 5 days of letrozol 3 pills a day and then come back in on day 10 for an ultrasound. This ultrasound showed that I had 3 follicles growing. We decided to just let coast and come back two days later. This ultrasound showed that 2 eggs were 20 mm and the third one was 15mm with the past showing I haven’t had any luck they decided to wait two days to do the trigger shot in hopes that all three eggs would be viable. I was also aware of all the risks. I then did the trigger shot and then 36 hours later we did an iui with frozen sperm due to my husband being out of the country. This also resulted in a negative pregnancy test.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Sara tolstep and heidi )
I can’t say enough of Heidi and Sara. They were amazing. I have never had such care and compassion in any other doctor. They called me back if I ever had a question and if they told me they would call m for results they did, and it would be in a timely matter. I feel like I am better friends with my nurses then just there patient. They cared about me and my circumstance. They would randomly check on me. I can’t say enough good things about Heidi and Sara.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
Great clinic, clean, quiet... I also very much agree with there sign that says “due to the sensitive manner of our practice we would ask that no kids be brought into the office” when going through infertility big things happen in this office and little things like babies and kids are so hard to see during hard times.
I have had great insurance but I have had to pay for almost all visits and medications. Each visit should be about $328 but with insurance comes out to be 180 or so. Then each shot was about $70 except trigger shot which was $120. In all with three iui’s I would think we have spent about $7-8,000
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
I do feel like she [Dr. Erica Johnstone] had our best interests in mind though and wanted to be the least aggressive to save us money and lower the risk of overstimulating me with too much medication. I wish she was available more to answer questions and dictate changes to our treatment plan...Since it was my second miscarriage, we did testing on the fetus and myself, but everything came back normal. After the miscarriage, I retained tissue so we had to perform a sonohysterogram and then a hysteroscopy to remove the tissue and see if any problems inside my uterus could be causing my miscarriages... We never did injectables because she was afraid I would over respond even to a low dose and we would be forced to cancel an IUI because of the risk of multiples.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
Dr. Johnstone is a caring and knowledgeable doctor. At times I felt she was much too busy to attend to all her patients and I feel like our care suffered because of it. I do feel like she had our best interests in mind though and wanted to be the least aggressive to save us money and lower the risk of overstimulating me with too much medication. I wish she was available more to answer questions and dictate changes to our treatment plan.
I feel Dr. Johnstone is a caring and highly educated Dr. If she has time for you as a new patient, I would recommend her.
Dr. Johnstone was always caring and thorough when we met with her. I felt she was honest about our treatment options and when it was necessary to get more aggressive.
My diagnosis is annovulatory PCOS, so Dr. Johnstones goal was to get me to ovulate. In the beginning we tried three cycles with just Femara and I never ovulated despite developing mature follicles. Then we moved to femara plus a trigger shot to force ovulation combined with timed intercourse. I was able to get pregnant through this method, but I miscarried. Since it was my second miscarriage, we did testing on the fetus and myself, but everything came back normal. After the miscarriage, I retained tissue so we had to perform a sonohysterogram and then a hysteroscopy to remove the tissue and see if any problems inside my uterus could be causing my miscarriages. When I started the femara again after the miscarriage, my body didn't respond. So we had to double the days I took the meds, 10 days instead of 5. We continued with the trigger shot and timed intercourse but moved to IUI after that was unsuccessful twice. We never did injectables because she was afraid I would over respond even to a low dose and we would be forced to cancel an IUI because of the risk of multiples.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Sara was our nurse practitioner that we worked with closely )
Sara was amazing at responding to our questions and treatment protocol because Dr. Johnstone became extremely busy after the clinic lost a Dr. She had gone through infertility herself and she was always compassionate and understanding. I felt like she was rooting for us and really cared about our success.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
This clinic is extremely busy and the Dr.'s are over booked. That being said, I do think the Dr.'s and nurses are knowledgeable and capable.
IUI cost $360 just for the procedure. Each follicle monitoring ultrasound was $230. Each trigger shot was $40. Appointments to meet with Dr. Johnstone were $265. The hysteroscopy was covered by insurance but would have been $460 if it hadn't been.
SLC
She [Dr. Johnstone] never made me feel like I was a worthless case. She explained to me that my age is a factor, but there were atleast 10 things I could try before I had a hysterectomy. She was compassionate when things didn't work and made sure that I knew that I wasn't a lost cause. I never felt like my needs or concerns were pushed aside and she took time to listen to all of my questions and concerns.
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
She never made me feel like I was a worthless case. She explained to me that my age is a factor, but there were atleast 10 things I could try before I had a hysterectomy. She was compassionate when things didn't work and made sure that I knew that I wasn't a lost cause. I never felt like my needs or concerns were pushed aside and she took time to listen to all of my questions and concerns.
Go see her! She is amazing!
Erica never spoke to me like I was just another patient. She was kind and made sure she knew my case and what I was there for and guided me along the way. She has always been there to answer any of my questions and never made me feel like she was in a rush to get to the next appointment.
Started Letrozole 2.5 mg and then made an ultrasound appointment. Start taking the Ovulation predictor tests ever day and have intercourse the day it turns positive and the following 2 days. Also took norethindrone and increased the amount of letrozole to 7.5 mg.
They were always kind and never made me feel dumb or like my questions were silly. I went embarrassed for being there the first time, but then they made it comfortable that the next times I went, I wasn't embarrassed.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The very first time I went in it felt like I had a long waiting time. But now I know that it's because the doctor was treating her patients the same way they treated me. They are kind and friendly and genuine. They are personable and every time I went in after they knew me by name and were excited to see me back. I was happy that I got the team that I did, because they were always so welcoming. At my old clinic, it wasn't that way. So this was a refreshing way to feel going into a doctors office. Doctors offices aren't normally as kind and welcoming as Dr. Johnstone's office is. But I love this clinic and have referred many of my friends who are also having fertility problems. With the help of Dr. Johnstone and her team, she was able to help my friend have her first baby after trying for a very long time. I am excited for my next visit to their office.
I don't remember.
2012 - 2016
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
Erica [Dr. Erica Johnstone] was very kind, quick to respond to emails, answer our questions and give us excellent advice.... started with a birth control cycle, I think that it lasted a couple months, then we began the hormones to prepare my uterus for a frozen transfer. After a couple ultrasounds, things looked really good and we transferred our last embryos. The embryos we're not of the great quality, so we transferred all 3. Knowing that perhaps a couple might not make it. We were thrilled when we found out we were pregnant!! After 10 days we got to see the tiny embryo and knew that one had made it! I saw my regular obgyn after that at 8 weeks and at 13 weeks. At my 18 week check up we were saddened to discover no heartbeat and a loss of the baby. :( possibly an umbilical accident or an embryo problem. It was heartbreaking. I let Dr. Johnstown know and she was so kind. I felt better after reading her emails.
2012 - 2016
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
She seemed very calm and sure. The only thing that I could complain about was her ice cold hands and her "limp-fish" handshake. Haha, but other than that she was kind and happy and gave us great confidence in her and the clinic.
If you choose to see Dr. Johnstown, you will be in good hands...cold hands, but good hands. ;) She will take good care of you. Be optimistic and hopeful, it's all worth it!
Erica was very kind, quick to respond to emails, answer our questions and give us excellent advice.
I started with a birth control cycle, I think that it lasted a couple months, then we began the hormones to prepare my uterus for a frozen transfer. After a couple ultrasounds, things looked really good and we transferred our last embryos. The embryos we're not of the great quality, so we transferred all 3. Knowing that perhaps a couple might not make it. We were thrilled when we found out we were pregnant!! After 10 days we got to see the tiny embryo and knew that one had made it! I saw my regular obgyn after that at 8 weeks and at 13 weeks. At my 18 week check up we were saddened to discover no heartbeat and a loss of the baby. :( possibly an umbilical accident or an embryo problem. It was heartbreaking. I let Dr. Johnstown know and she was so kind. I felt better after reading her emails.
I met with several different nurses and they were all very sweet and down to earth. Easy to talk to, and got the job done!
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
I like that when I go in I don't know people there. Infertility can be difficult especially if you have to explain it to others! They were very respectful of privacy, and didn't make a big deal out of small things.
Appointments just to visit my Dr were about 450.00 frozen transfer cycle costs came to about $5000.00 total. Most if that is for the medications.
She was so good to let us decide. She gave us all the information and left it up to us. I love that she didn't pressure us in any way.
SLC
She [Dr. Erica Johnstone] is always warm and friendly, makes us feel like she has time to explain everything to us. Which is important and makes us feel as at ease as we can. She offers options and talks us through what we feel is the best for us... Almost $11,000 for the ultrasounds, egg retrieval. $3500 medications $2800 embryo transfer $5000 PGS... Make sure to ask questions and that you understand your treatment plan. It puts you at ease and when you have an understanding as a patient it makes you feel like you are able to handle each step
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
She is always warm and friendly, makes us feel like she has time to explain everything to us. Which is important and makes us feel as at ease as we can. She offers options and talks us through what we feel is the best for us
I have good relationships with the staff at the fertility center. They are always friendly and helpful. I am mid treatment currently though
Menopur, gonal-f to stimulate. cetratide to hell follicles mature. Trigger shot. This is where I am up to now.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Denise)
They are helpful and encouraging. Denise has developed a great relationship with my 1 year old son. She always calls and updates me and gen emails me everything we talked about which is wonderful to show my husband as he is at work every time she calls
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
It was difficult to get an appointment, I think I initially had a 3 month wait. But once I was seen, things started to happen. I got appointments right away and everyone was helpful and prompt. My fordt treatment was completed in Michigan, the clinic was great organizing the retrieval of my old. It’s and becoming up to date with my fordt treatment plan
We have chosen to do a single transfer if we get this far
3 IUI, IVF
Dr Johnstone always asks how I’m doing and really listens. She’s helped me and answered all my questions and even consoled me while I cried. But what really impressed me about her is the way she treats my husband. She talks with him and asks him how he is doing and listens the same way that she does with me.... on my current round we added a human growth hormone and did more Lupron.... Even when I’ve had failed rounds she personally calls and checks up on me.
3 IUI, IVF
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
Dr Johnstone explains everything and gives me time to ask questions. I never feel like I’m wasting her time by asking lots of questions. She is compassionate and knowledgeable. Even when I’ve had failed rounds she personally calls and checks up on me. I always feel better after talking with Dr Johnstone.
Just go and talk with her. I never feel pushed to do something. She gives me options and choices and never is pushy. It doesn’t hurt to talk with her and see what she says.
I know on my current round we added a human growth hormone and did more Lupron.
Denise and all the nurses are great and really good and responding to calls or emails. Denise explains things well and is very knowledgeable about IVF.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The clinic is great. Good atmosphere. Never running too far behind, so I’m usually not waiting long. I like that I can do multiple things in one visit in a timely manner. I can see a nurse, get my blood drawn and have an ultrasound in less than 30 minutes.
I know an egg retrieval round is around $10,000 plus meds. Embryo transfer around $3500 plus meds.
SLC
I really love the care that Dr Johnstone provided for both my husband and me. While she may not be available all the time, she has excellent staff....I started with 4 different levels of clomid, and 3 different doses of Femara,...She takes time to visit with you, and make sure every question that you have is answered. She is honest with you, and really tells you like it is, which I really appreciate...Expect her to be extremely open with you about exactly where you're at.
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
I have really loved Dr Johnstone. She takes time to visit with you, and make sure every question that you have is answered. She is honest with you, and really tells you like it is, which I really appreciate. She's really hard to get in with, but she's awesome when you can.
Be candid and open with her. Expect her to be extremely open with you about exactly where you're at.
I really love the care that Dr Johnstone provided for both my husband and me. While she may not be available all the time, she has excellent staff. When we suffered our first miscarriage, we went to a different doctor that was horrible, but we spoke to the staff there, and she was able to make us an appointment to come in on Monday(the next business day) and talk to us about a plan, and double check that the previous doctor was correct. (He wasn't). She hadn't physically seen us in months, and was still able to remember the conversations that we had. She really seems like she cares about you as a person.
I started with 4 different levels of clomid, and 3 different doses of Femara, and then got pregnant, and miscarried. Still trying with Femara.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Utah. (Assigned nurse: Sara)
I really love the nursing staff here. They reach out to you, and make sure that you understand what's happening. They always get back to me when they say they will, and they are always so personable and seem to remember every detail about your health history.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
I love the staff here. I really like that the clinic is open on Saturday's, and that I can come in without skipping work. My biggest complaints would be that while most of their doctors are great, I have been to a couple that I would never recommend. They lack a little bit of consistency in their practices. The other complaint that I had is their facilities. The first time that we went their, we went to the hospital, and were impressed with how nice it looked. However, as we got closer and closer to the OBGYN clinic there, the worse it looked. For a facility that's known to be on the cutting edge, it doesn't look very cutting age, it looks like it's stuck in the 80's. If I hadn't had a good experience with the doctors, I probably wouldn't have gone back.
What specific things went wrong at University of Utah?
SLC
She [Dr. Johnstone] made me feel special by really listening to me, and ensuring I understood exactly what the process was.... Her strengths are that she is very kind, soft spoken, and delivers information in a clear manner. She wants you to be comfortable with her treatment approach and strongly takes your opinion into consideration. Her weakness is that she is almost too nice. I look at her as the expert and wanted her to be more open about what she thought I should do.
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
Her strengths are that she is very kind, soft spoken, and delivers information in a clear manner. She wants you to be comfortable with her treatment approach and strongly takes your opinion into consideration. Her weakness is that she is almost too nice. I look at her as the expert and wanted her to be more open about what she thought I should do. I think it's great to have options and to know ultimately my opinion will be heard and followed, but I appreciate her expertise and think she should more strongly state what her educated opinion is. That would have helped me make better decisions.
Be sure to let her know you consider her to be the expert, and that you want her educated opinion.
She is extremely kind and focused on your care. She made me feel special by really listening to me, and ensuring I understood exactly what the process was.
She started me out slowly by having me try Femara first, followed by Femara plus IUI, followed by IVF. She was willing to be as aggressive or as cautious with treatment as I wanted to be.
They were great overall. I sometimes wished I had a dedicated nurse or coordinator though.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
I think U of U is state of the art with their processes and fertility treatments. I think they can be more expensive than other clinics and less personalized in their approach. But they make up for that with being well run and very current on fertility procedures.
Most ultrasounds were covered by my insurance. The IUIs ranged around $300
Not applicable
Anovulation, PCOS, Other
She [Dr. Johnstone] is extremely kind and knowledgeable. She knows what she is doing and will answer any questions you have. She is straight forward and helpful during all of the emotional times. I’m grateful she is my dr because she doesn’t beat around the bush. She explained different courses of actions needed for my case and gave me all the details for each one and gave me her best recommendation.
Anovulation, PCOS, Other
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
She is extremely kind and knowledgeable. She knows what she is doing and will answer any questions you have. She is straight forward and helpful during all of the emotional times. I’m grateful she is my dr because she doesn’t beat around the bush. She explained different courses of actions needed for my case and gave me all the details for each one and gave me her best recommendation.
Ask lots of questions
Dr johnstone always called me and my husband by name and new our story. She was kind but straight forward with her information and she never treated me like another number in the clinic. She knew who I was as a person
They are all extremely kind and sympathetic
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
This clinic seems like it has the best of the best. There are multiple sections and you can get all of your care in one place. You don’t have to go to multiple places for different procedures. Also the lab is on site
Injections and ultrasounds are expensive. But you can find discounts by looking at different pharmacies
SLC
She [Dr. Johnstone] was matter of fact and efficient, which I liked. However she often seemed rushed. Also not very sympathetic when I had a missed miscarriage. Like it was a normal part of her day, but it certainly wasn’t for me.... I didn’t see her often as part of the IUI process. Usually a resident or nurse for most visits. She did a good job explaining things when she talked to me.
How was your experience with Erica Johnstone at University of Utah?
She was a good doctor. Nice enough, but not overly warm or sympathetic. I didn’t see her often as part of the IUI process. Usually a resident or nurse for most visits. She did a good job explaining things when she talked to me.
Be confident she knows her stuff.
She was matter of fact and efficient, which I liked. However she often seemed rushed. Also not very sympathetic when I had a missed miscarriage. Like it was a normal part of her day, but it certainly wasn’t for me.
Used Clomid with IUI. It was pretty straightforward and it worked.
Nurses were good in person.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
It seems like the doctors know their stuff. The clinic is clean and orderly. Not very fancy. The medical staff is good. The office staff was ok. They didn’t respond to my message with a call back when I needed to schedule an IUI that day. I had to call back several times until I finally reached someone in the afternoon.
Can’t remember exactly, but it was all listed online. My insurance covered ultrasounds.
What specific things went wrong at University of Utah?