Medical SchoolU of Vermont
FellowshipU of Michigan
475 Market Place
Ann Arbor, MI 48108
734-763-4323
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Erica Mahaney to a friend?
6.3

9.7

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend University of Michigan Center for Reproductive Medicine to a friend?
Anovulation, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Mahany is exactly what I was hoping for in a doctor when my husband and I began this journey 1.5 years ago. She spent over an hour with me at our consultation. She reviewed my records in depth and at length. She asked what goals I had and if her recommendations for our course of treatment were something we agreed with. Dr. Mahany made us feel part of the process every step of the way. I didn't have a preference for a specific doctor when I transferred to U of M, but I'm so unbelievably glad I was placed with Dr. Mahany.
Anovulation, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Erica Mahaney at University of Michigan Center for Reproductive Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Erica Mahaney at University of Michigan Center for Reproductive Medicine?
Trust her. She truly has your best interests in mind and she genuinely cares.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Erica Mahaney at University of Michigan Center for Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Mahany is simply wonderful. She's professional, empathetic, and she truly listens to your story, concerns, wants, and needs. She's personally called me with updates and keeps in touch via a patient portal. With surgery, she walked me through every step and made me feel completely comfortable. I went to Dr. Mahany after my previous doctor told me I needed IVF. My expectations were set low since my experience at my previous clinic was awful.
Describe the protocols Erica Mahaney used in your cycles at University of Michigan Center for Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
So far I've had 3 polyps removed and am awaiting a cycle to start my first IVF treatment. Dr. Mahany executed the surgery with only a minor issue. When that issue occured, she called herself to explain what happened and what our next steps would be. She's a great communicator and I appreciate her honesty.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Michigan Center for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kimberly )
Effective communication and great detail. It's rare that I'll have questions because they cover every aspect in their education.
Describe your experience with University of Michigan Center for Reproductive Medicine.
So far, I have not found any weaknesses. I absolutely love this clinic so far. It's like night and day on comparison to my last clinic. The communication is amazing, staff is always welcoming, and they seem very well organized.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Erica Mahaney at University of Michigan Center for Reproductive Medicine.
It seems to be more expensive as there are also university fees included, however, I know they do offer employees of the university coverage for ART services, as well as discounts for those who are unable to afford treatments.
Describe Erica Mahaney's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Michigan Center for Reproductive Medicine.
I agree with the approach. It's all about patient (and baby) safety.
Ann Arbor

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Erica Mahaney at University of Michigan Center for Reproductive Medicine.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve
Whenever I had a question about some sort of procedure, that I had heard about, or wanted to try, if the doctor [Dr. Mahaney] didn’t know anything about it, she would research the particular topic, and then get back to me. I thought this was very reassuring, that she was open to things other than the initial plan that she set, and wanted to make sure that we were comfortable with our treatment plan.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve
She was great, always very nice, and did her research, before we even came for our first appointment. She personally called me on several occasions, to talk about test results, and what to do moving forward. This was a big help, since we live almost 3 hours away from her office. Even called to check on me when I wasn’t directly in her care, after a miscarriage.
Do you hear about a strange new fertility treatment option, talk to her about it. Anything that you may have a question about, she will most likely be able to answer, and if not, she will do some research, and then get back to you.
Whenever I had a question about some sort of procedure, that I had heard about, or wanted to try, if the doctor didn’t know anything about it, she would research the particular topic, and then get back to me. I thought this was very reassuring, that she was open to things other than the initial plan that she set, and wanted to make sure that we were comfortable with our treatment plan.
All of the nurses were very nice, whenever we had an office visit. When I sent them a message on the hospital portal, they responded almost every time, the same day. If not, definitely by the next morning.
Strengths – always seemed well organized, all of the staff was very polite and answered all of my questions. Whenever I had a question, and I wasn’t at an appointment, I could send a message on the website, and usually got a response within the same day. Weaknesses – none that I am aware of at this time. n. Felt totally comfortable with them.
I don’t know how they feel about this particular subject, so I really can’t say.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve
Dr. Mahaney always took the time to listen to my concerns, thoroughly explain her reasoning, and explain some of the myths, and other treatment options, I’ve heard about in infertility support groups. Without even asking, she looked back at all of my previous tests, and added some, to try and get to the bottom of the cause of my infertility, and pregnancy losses.... She always made me feel comfortable with the treatment plan, and listen to all of my concerns, and anything that I heard floating around on the Internet.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve
I cannot say enough good things about Dr. Erica Mahaney. I guess what they say is true, the third times the charm. After having a bad experience, with my last reproductive endocrinologist, I have never felt so excited, and hopeful for the future, following our treatment plan. Dr. Mahaney always took the time to listen to my concerns, thoroughly explain her reasoning, and explain some of the myths, and other treatment options, I’ve heard about in infertility support groups. Without even asking, she looked back at all of my previous tests, and added some, to try and get to the bottom of the cause of my infertility, and pregnancy losses.
Don’t be afraid to ask her any questions, because she’s probably heard it from 100 different women. If you have questions about adding something to your protocol, that you’ve heard about, if she is not already educated on that protocol, she will research it, and let you know what she finds. Ask lots of questions, no question is a dumb question.
I felt like she took the time that she needed, to explain everything to me, and answer any questions I had. She always made me feel comfortable with the treatment plan, and listen to all of my concerns, and anything that I heard floating around on the Internet.
Because she was the third doctor that we have consulted, after our first IVF retrieval, and failure, she went back and looked at everything that had been done, and then discussed how she would like to proceed. Before we were able to start a second IVF cycle with her, he became spontaneously pregnant, but lost the pregnancy due to an embryonic pregnancy. After my body recovered from the miscarriage, we sat down to have a discussion about what we could afford to do in the future. Dr. Mahaney’s plan was to do another cycle of IVF, with the same protocol, since I got good results from the first cycle. Unfortunately, because of the massive amount of that we have already incurred due to fertility treatments, we are not able to afford to go that route. I had had an HSG in 2016, which was inconclusive. Based on where the catheter had been located, it showed that my right fallopian tube may have been blocked, but we couldn’t be sure. Also, since I became pregnant on my first interuterine insemination, and had a spontaneous pregnancy on my own, we decided that we were going to do another HSG, to get a better answer. If my right to does happen to be blocked, we will discuss options as to unlocking the tube, or removing it. Dr. Mahaney would like to put me on a new prescription, electrical, and proceed with timed intercourse. If that doesn’t work within three or four cycles, she would like us to try another and her uterine insemination. At this point, that is all we can afford.
I thought that they all acted very professionally, and treated me like a human being. Whenever I send a message to my doctor in the online portal, they discussed it with her, and were able to respond within the same day, on most occasions. They all were very nice.
I can’t really say that I have seen any weaknesses from this particular clinic. Some of the drinks that I’ve seen, include listening to the patients, and explaining things to them thoroughly. I really appreciate my doctor calling me herself, to talk to me about my ultrasounds, and outpatient testing.
All of the stuff that we have had to date, has been covered 100% by insurance. The only thing that we don’t have insurance coverage for, is anything fertility related, and fertility medications.
Since I have never done an IVF cycle with her, I do not know her approach to this particular topic, so I cannot say.
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Dr Mahany is extremely thorough, very knowledgeable in the field and willing to stop at nothing to obtain results and solutions. Dr Mahany is kind and caring and always takes the time to fully explain where we are, next steps.... Dr Mahany has been absolutely amazing! She has been willing to stop at nothing to get to the root of our problem.... Plaquenil to treat potential inflammation Folic avid to treat MTHFR
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
You will be in great hands with Dr Mahany and her team.
Plaquenil to treat potential inflammation Folic avid to treat MTHFR
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Michigan Center for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Lindsey)
Lindsay and the entire nursing staff with Dr Mahany have been truly amazing. I feel very blessed to have worked so closely with such a wonderful group.
Everyone in this clinical team was very helpful, compassionate and kind. Quick follow up and follow through, overall great communication. I’m still working with this team and even if there is no resolve i know they will direct me to the right place.
Roughly $5000 so far
Dr Mahany also recommended transfer only 1 embryo, we did heed her advice.
Ann Arbor

I feel that when I went to see dr Mahany she was able to explain everything well, she had me do two IUI’s and at the end we were going to try IVF but I had already ovulated so I wasn’t able to do the procedure!... I feel like dr mahany is a good dr she was able to let me know what was going on and what to expect.... I thought the nurses [U of MI Ctr for Repro Med] were super nice! When ever I got my ultrasounds they would have me stay there so I would know what to do next.
Dr. Mahany is a great doctor. She is able to explain what was going on there staff is very friendly as well!
I can’t remember
I thought the nurses were super nice! When ever I got my ultrasounds they would have me stay there so I would know what to do next.
Some times they were busy so you might have to wait a little bit! But I thought the staff was always really nice and friendly. My insurance didn’t cover much of it and that is why we had to stop going, it was too expensive.
It was super expensive, my insurance didn’t cover most of it, we spent at least 15,000 with no baby.
I didn’t have many eggs so we didn’t get that far.