Medical SchoolUpstate Medical U
ResidencyAbington Memorial Hospital
FellowshipWeill Cornell Medical College
601 Elmwood Ave
Rochester, NY 14642
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Erin Masaba to a friend?

5.3

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester) to a friend?
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
Strong was closed for a full week in January (for "winter break") which delayed the start of my treatment by several weeks. - Strong was closed again for a full week less than two months later for "spring break". Luckily for me it did not impact my treatment. I'm sure others weren't so lucky. I own a retail business in a time sensitive industry and the thought of closing for an entire week is laughable. - Egg retrievals are not done on Saturday or Sunday. This severely limits flexibility as a day or two can be the difference between more or less eggs being retrieved.
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Erin Masaba at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
Dr. Masaba is smart and straightforward, but also kind and warm. She has a positive attitude and a lot of energy. She cares about her patients and is willing to explain things in detail. She's returned my calls during off hours and has never hesitated to help. She gets excited about your treatment and each small success. She's also down to earth and very real, not pretentious in any way.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Erin Masaba at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
Dr. Masaba talks quickly and is very energetic. I absolutely love that type of personality as it matches my own pace, but some people may prefer a doctor with slower and steadier style. While Dr. Masaba is extremely smart, to the point, and very enthusiastic, she sometimes struggles with details and organization. As long as you self-advocate and stay up on your treatment details (which I'm finding to be an absolute necessity as an IVF patient), you should be fine.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Erin Masaba at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
Dr. Masaba remembered all the details of my treatment, the specifics of what was going on with me each time I saw her, and recommended a new protocol she had just learned about during a conference because she felt I fit the required profile.
Describe the protocols Erin Masaba used in your cycles at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester) and their degree of success.
Estrogen Priming Protocol for DOR with Duostim I have diminished ovarian reserve from multiple surgeries for endometriosis. Dr. Masaba wanted to try IUI first to see how I would respond to meds before proceeding with IVF. IUI is covered by my insurance whereas IVF is not, so I thought this was a good idea before deciding to invest a large amount of money. My antral follicle count had been very low during monitoring - around 2 or 3 during two different baseline ultrasounds. Once it was confirmed that I was responding to meds during my IUI cycle (albeit poorly), Dr. Masaba recommended estrogen priming in conjunction with IVF to increase my follicle production. My antral follicle count went up to 13 and 15 respectively during the two cycles I've done with estrogen priming, so it did help. The first cycle produced 3 follicles. It was less than hoped for, but the cycle was ultimately canceled because the trigger shot failed and converted to an IUI. No pregnancy. The second cycle was a freeze all duostim. The plan was to stim, retrieve, and then stim again 5 days later in the same cycle month to capitalize on all the antral follicles from the priming. The first retrieval in the duostim resulted in 3 follices, with 2 mature eggs. Both fertilized. The second retrieval in the duostim resulted in 7 follicles, 5 mature eggs retrieved, and 5 fertilized. After the duostim, I had a frozen embryo transfer of two high quality 8 cell embryos on day 3. We had one embryo make it to blastocyst on day 6 so that is currently frozen. I did not get pregnant from the transfer. I proceeded with another duostim using estrogen priming rather using my remaining frozen embryo since I'm 36 and want multiple children. The second duostim had similar results as the first in terms of numbers but I ended up with two 5 days blasts for my frozen embryo transfer and two 6 day embryos to freeze! I was thrilled! I am currently 5 weeks pregnant from the embryo transfer this cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester). (Assigned nurse: Kaitlin)
Kaitlin is extremely sweet and a super caring person. She was meant to be an IVF nurse. She's completely genuine, friendly, and took a personal interest in me as a patient. I always felt comfortable talking to her about anything regarding my treatment. She is a bright point at Strong Fertility.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Although I'm happy with my doctor and nurse, I am a bit underwhelmed with Strong Fertility as a whole. There were major missteps during many points of my treatment, costing me both money and fertility time. The front desk staff is very uninformed and there are a few staff members that are downright angry and rude. That said, they are conservative and practice evidence based medicine (even though it may mean they are not on the cutting edge). If you prefer science over the kitchen sink approach, then this clinic is likely a fit for you based on the choices in the area. I've left detailed comments on all of the missteps and errors that occurred so far during my treatment in another section of this review.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Erin Masaba at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
At the time of my treatment, this was the pricing scheme: Package 1. $6500 - Includes one fresh IVF cycle and up to 2 transfers (one fresh transfer and one frozen transfer, or 2 frozen transfers) Package 2. $10,800 - Includes 2 fresh IVF cycles and up to 3 transfers (either fresh or frozen) Package 3. $14,700 - Includes 3 fresh IVF cycles and up to 4 transfers (either fresh or frozen) I started with package 1, moved to package 2, and will be continuing with package 3. My medication costs per cycle were around $4000-5000 (would have be $9-10,000 if I hadn't ordered overseas). If you needed to do any retrievals beyond package 3, previously you needed to start over at package 1 and pay $6500 again which didn't make any sense! After complaining to every doctor I encountered at Strong and making multiple calls to the IVF secretary over my fourth retrieval, I'm thrilled to say that this has been changed! Now additional cycles are $4900 (Package 3 divided by three).
Describe Erin Masaba's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Dr. Masaba strongly recommended eSET and warned against the complications of multiples. Ultimately I signed my transfer instructions document with another doctor who happened to be in the office that day. She had no issue transferring two embryos considering my age and infertility history, so that's what I ultimately did.
What specific things went wrong at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Erin Masaba at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).

Dr Masaba is wonderful, but I struggle with the other doctors at this practice, so it is hard that it's the luck of the draw for which one you get for a given procedure.... Dr. Masaba would call me whenever I was having an issue and we would talk it out, she is one of the kindest doctors that I have ever had exposure to... She understands that I suffer form anxiety and her approach works perfectly with this
I feel like the clinic [Strong Fertility] is a little disorganized and you have to be your own advocate....The nurses are nice, but don't call back until the very end of the day, so if you need an answer, MyChart seems to be better (though they apparently complain to the Doctors about the use of MyChart for questions, rather than taking the questions in MyChart and calling to discuss)... I have had results not told to me in what I consider a timely manner
Dr Masaba is wonderful, but I struggle with the other doctors at this practice, so it is hard that it's the luck of the draw for which one you get for a given procedure. Dr. Masaba is very warm and explains everything in detail. I'm counting down the days until she is back from maternity leave. She understands that I suffer form anxiety and her approach works perfectly with this
That most of the other doctors at the practice are not great. Dr. Vitek is very cold, Dr. Lewis is always at least 45 minutes late, Dr. Bala is rough. Dr Queenan was very friendly.
Dr. Masaba stimulated me for my egg retrieval resulting in 32 eggs, 29 of which were mature. This put us in a very good position for ICSI. The stim was with gonal F, menapur and we used cetrotide once we got to a certain point (OUCH) and then ovidrel to trigger. I was OHSS, so we could not do a fresh transfer, but this gave us a chance to do PGS. Before going on maternity leave, we did one transfer cycle which was not successful, and then she started me on a medicated cycle (patches and estrace with progesterone) this resulted in a chemical pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester). (Assigned nurse: Michelle)
Michelle is very nice, and always answers my questions to the best of her knowledge. She missed my vein for my iv before my retrieval when I was already very nervous which still has me a little, eeeeek, though I understand that accidents happen. When I was first starting the nurses drawing blood (not michelle) were HORRENDOUS, but they must have gotten complaints because it has gotten so much better, and now the nurses drawing blood do a very nice job and are very kind.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
I feel like the clinic is a little disorganized and you have to be your own advocate. It was NOT like that before Dr. Masaba left on maternity though, so I feel as though I have fallen into the cracks with the other Doctors while she is gone, which i am not happy about. The front desk folks are nice. The nurses are nice, but don't call back until the very end of the day, so if you need an answer, MyChart seems to be better (though they apparently complain to the Doctors about the use of MyChart for questions, rather than taking the questions in MyChart and calling to discuss)
Our insurance paid for some, so I cannot give an accurate response to this.
2 failed attempts with a single, before going to 2 embryos
What specific things went wrong at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?

Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS
she [Dr. Erin Masaba] is straight forward, very smart, and explains everything. She shares her experiences and give her best course of action. She is open to questions and is willing to make changes if needed/requested...She’s very friendly and very knowledgeable. I’ve never had a doctor more receptive to questioning her plan of action. She’s ready with a great explanation, and is willing to adjust things accordingly. She is not dismissive.
During my diagnostic [with Dr. Erin Masaba at Strong Fertility], we discovered I have trouble with follicle growth and ovulating on my own. So we started with a plan of clomid, trigger shot, and IUI. Before we started my first cycle I did a lot of research on clomid with PCOS patients. Many end up switching to Letrezole anyway. When I questioned why she didn’t put me on Letezole first- she ended up deciding to switch my plan. Both accomplish the same goal and have similar side effects. She saw no medical reason not to switch it, and I’ve been responding well. I’ve had follicle growth on both medicated cycles.
Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS
Again, she is straight forward, very smart, and explains everything. She shares her experiences and give her best course of action. She is open to questions and is willing to make changes if needed/requested.
Use the MyChart app, but try to ask all you questions in one shot. She is great about taking time to answer your questions, but it’s hard on the doctors to have a ton of back and forth. She’s very friendly and very knowledgeable. I’ve never had a doctor more receptive to questioning her plan of action. She’s ready with a great explanation, and is willing to adjust things accordingly. She is not dismissive.
Erin takes the time to message you back when the answer requires explanation. When you’re in a consultation with her, she does not rush you and never looks at the clock. She is straight forward but takes the time to check in emotionally. She gives her opion and proffered plan, but opens it up to changes if that’s what make me comfortable.
During my diagnostic, we discovered I have trouble with follicle growth and ovulating on my own. So we started with a plan of clomid, trigger shot, and IUI. Before we started my first cycle I did a lot of research on clomid with PCOS patients. Many end up switching to Letrezole anyway. When I questioned why she didn’t put me on Letezole first- she ended up deciding to switch my plan. Both accomplish the same goal and have similar side effects. She saw no medical reason not to switch it, and I’ve been responding well. I’ve had follicle growth on both medicated cycles.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester). (Assigned nurse: Michelle )
The nursing staff is extremely well organized and caring, despite a very busy schedule. Although they have to keep moving through patients, they do take the time is you have extra questions or concerns.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Strong Fertility has very kind and organized staff. They are knowledgeable and always follow up same day with blood results and questions. I feel that my doctor and nurses really know wht they are doing, and o eat the fee that they try to help as many people as possible.
+ Read more- Read less

To start with she was very forward with us and said she [Dr. Erin Masaba] wouldn't make a plan for us unless she diagnosed both of us, I was fine, my husband was infertile which we already knew going into it. But the last Dr never sent my husband to a urologist they just said his count and everything is low you need to go through IVF. But Dr. Masaba sent him to a Dr to get more answers and said she wanted to know everything before we went through IVF again to make it successful. She sat with my for over an hour for our consultation and answered all of my questions without making me feel rushed, and she continues to answer questions whenever I have them right away.
The clinic [Univ of Rochester/Strong] is very honest with you about treatment working for you or not, they won't take just anybody because they don't feel its right to take your money and get your hopes up if they do not see it working for you. The book up fast so be patient. But they are one of the best hospitals out there and have been a much better clinic than our last one so far and we have only just begun,
She has been very straight forward and honest about everything. She has answered all my questions no matter how many I had or how stupid they sounded. I love that the clinic strictly goes off proven research and she doesn't believe in doing anything if it "might" help, only if research has proven for it to help the procedure.
Be patient. She doesn't like to rush things and takes it step by step, and she books up fast so that could put you behind on your timing as well. It will be worth it, but be patient.
I have only just started my care with Dr. Masaba, but so far she has been 10x better than the last clinic we were at where we had 2 unsuccessful IVFs. To start with she was very forward with us and said she wouldn't make a plan for us unless she diagnosed both of us, I was fine, my husband was infertile which we already knew going into it. But the last Dr never sent my husband to a urologist they just said his count and everything is low you need to go through IVF. But Dr. Masaba sent him to a Dr to get more answers and said she wanted to know everything before we went through IVF again to make it successful. She sat with my for over an hour for our consultation and answered all of my questions without making me feel rushed, and she continues to answer questions whenever I have them right away.
I have not completely started treatment yet, but I have had my consultation and baseline with her, and my husband has seen his Dr. We are going to go through IVF with Dr. Masaba and she has explained the procedure to me. I will start a month on birth control, take stim meds for retrieval and then hopefully do a fresh transfer, if not freeze and transfer the following month.
I have only had one ultrasound visit so far, but the nurse was very polite and professional.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
The clinic is very honest with you about treatment working for you or not, they won't take just anybody because they don't feel its right to take your money and get your hopes up if they do not see it working for you. The book up fast so be patient. But they are one of the best hospitals out there and have been a much better clinic than our last one so far and we have only just begun,
There are many different packages that the clinic offers but we went with a package for $6800 for one retrieval and 2 transfers. And then the cost of meds.
She is very confident in eSET, but if you ask to do 2 she will tell you the risk and let you make the decision, but will not do more than 2 under the age of 35.
+ Read more- Read less

She [Dr. Erin Masaba] always takes the time to answer my questions and calls me back immediately. She’s incredible... fter feeling unsure I called Dr. Masaba and asked her opinion in surgery. She came into the iffyearly to oerform an HSG test and took the time to fully explain why she disagruwith surgery...I felt confident when I left her. Dr. Masaba’s practice is more expensive than this other clinic, but after that visit I switched back to Dr. Masaba for my 3rd cycle of IVF.
Better communication on the costs and when and exactly how much you pay, but overall my experience with them [at Strong Fertility] is great. The front office staff waves and checks me in before I even sit down and the nurses call the same day as blood work. They are compassionate and genuinely care... We did 8 rounds of IVF. 2 were in clomid and the rest were Gonal F at 76-150 units. For our IVF cycles we used Gonal F at 150, Ganirellix and Menopur at 75 units. Our frozen transfer we did a natural cycle.
Dr. Masaba is the newest doctor at the practice, but she is so educated and makes me feel like she truly understands and knows what I’m going through. When I went to switch to a different clinic after over a year and two failed IVF cycles, the other clinic made ne nervous and I didn’t feel a connection, they also pushed surgeries that I feel they push on everyone...the care seemed cookie cutter not taylored to my needs. After feeling unsure I called Dr. Masaba and asked her opinion in surgery. She came into the iffyearly to oerform an HSG test and took the time to fully explain why she disagruwith surgery...I felt confident when I left her. Dr. Masaba’s practice is more expensive than this other clinic, but after that visit I switched back to Dr. Masaba for my 3rd cycle of IVF.
Don’t let her age and newness fool you, she is amazing!
She always takes the time to answer my questions and calls me back immediately. She’s incredible
The nurses are my favorite, they know me by name and feel like family!
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Better communication on the costs and when and exactly how much you pay, but overall my experience with them is great. The front office staff waves and checks me in before I even sit down and the nurses call the same day as blood work. They are compassionate and genuinely care.
IUI was covered by insurance. My deductible was $2000. IVF with my current cycle is $12,000 plus the cost of meds

2016 - 2019
Although she [Dr. Masaba] was nice when I was her, I seldom saw her other than the consultations and when I actually got pregnant. I will say she is understanding when it comes to the emotional and financial toll infertility can take on a couple.... At first we did just chlomid then switched to letrizole and intercourse. I got pregnant but miscarried and after that appointment I stated I wanted to do iui instead and I thankfully got pregnant my first iui and had a healthy baby girl. I came back for hopefully a second try and immediately started with iui and did 5 with no success.
The positives is that it can be successful which I think is the main goal (myself and people I know have had children thanks to them [Strong Fertility Center]). Negative is that it’s very busy and rushed at times. I feel like it’s not personal treatment plans that it’s very direct this is what happens no matter what the situation.... Nurse Deb worzinger was so great in communicating what was to expect and having compassion with patients... Dr massaba has good bedside manner but also understands
2016 - 2019
Although she was nice when I was her, I seldom saw her other than the consultations and when I actually got pregnant. I will say she is understanding when it comes to the emotional and financial toll infertility can take on a couple.
Don’t expect to see her often but the nurses were incredibly nice
Dr massaba has good bedside manner but also understands the toll emotionally and financially infertility takes.
At first we did just chlomid then switched to letrizole and intercourse. I got pregnant but miscarried and after that appointment I stated I wanted to do iui instead and I thankfully got pregnant my first iui and had a healthy baby girl. I came back for hopefully a second try and immediately started with iui and did 5 with no success. Started with injections and still no success
Describe your experience with your nurse at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester). (Assigned nurse: Deb worzinger)
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
The positives is that it can be successful which I think is the main goal (myself and people I know have had children thanks to them). Negative is that it’s very busy and rushed at times. I feel like it’s not personal treatment plans that it’s very direct this is what happens no matter what the situation.
Thankfully my insurance covers infertility iui treatments so I paid a $40 copay every visit
+ Read more- Read less

She is very understanding. She allowed me to do appointments over the phone as I live 2 hours away from their office. Dr.Masaba is very compassionate and is willing to answer any and all questions that I have...I have had 4 IUIs since being under her treatment. We have only changed my meds once. I am not sure if anything should have been changed. I’m trusting her and her decisions... When I had mine [IUI] done, it was done by a nurse, not a doctor.
The facility [Strong Fertility] itself is very nice and warming. It helped make me be not so nervous. The doctors and nurses are very nice and caring. At times, I had to push the nurse to change a med that was a little cheaper but they will try different options to help you out....An IUI at their clinic, with a discount, costed me $288 out of pocket... you communicate more with the nurses than the doctor at times. The nurses are good at communicating and getting back to you but usually only call at the end of the day.
At this office, you communicate more with the nurses than the doctor at times. The nurses are good at communicating and getting back to you but usually only call at the end of the day. This is fine, but it would be nice for them to explain that to me in the beginning. I figured it out a few weeks into treatment when finally one of the nurses said they do their calls at the end of the day when their phones are turned off. Some of them do IUIs. When I had mine done, it was done by a nurse, not a doctor. The nurses that I have dealt with this far have been great and knowledgeable.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
The facility itself is very nice and warming. It helped make me be not so nervous. The doctors and nurses are very nice and caring. At times, I had to push the nurse to change a med that was a little cheaper but they will try different options to help you out.
An IUI at their clinic, with a discount, costed me $288 out of pocket

4 IUI, IVF
Male Factor, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
She [Dr. Masaba] was specific, detailed and explained the various options but still left us knowing we were making our own decisions. Thorough while taking our history since we have been trying for over 5 years before changing to this new practice. We are hopeful and excited to try out IVF this coming summer.... The staff [Strong Fertility] is kind and understanding. They always make sure to provide patients with all information that led to their individual plan of care.
The staff [Strong Fertility] is kind and understanding. They always make sure to provide patients with all information that led to their individual plan of care. This was especially important for us as our previous fertility clinic did not always do this. They make time to answer our questions and make us feel like people are valued and not just a number. They are very knowledgeable and professional.... Weakness would be getting to talk to a nurse via phone within the house of leaving a message. There are so many strengths!!!!
4 IUI, IVF
Male Factor, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
She was specific, detailed and explained the various options but still left us knowing we were making our own decisions. Thorough while taking our history since we have been trying for over 5 years before changing to this new practice. We are hopeful and excited to try out IVF this coming summer.
Be open and honest. Share all of your thoughts.
Like a human, calling me by name and talking about my specific details and future plans.
The staff is kind and understanding. They always make sure to provide patients with all information that led to their individual plan of care. This was especially important for us as our previous fertility clinic did not always do this. They make time to answer our questions and make us feel like people are valued and not just a number. They are very knowledgeable and professional.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Weakness would be getting to talk to a nurse via phone within the house of leaving a message. There are so many strengths!!!! Open schedules to help make an appointment, refreshments in the waiting room, clean atmosphere, entire clinic shares the responsibility of keeping our Information confidential and private.
Insurance covers everything except 10 dollar copay until we get to IVF.
+ Read more- Read less

She [Dr. Erin Masaba] was friendly and warm. She took time to answer all my questions and make me feel comfortable. I do wish I had seen her at more appointments. She did not perform my egg retrieval or transfer. After we started the IVF process I did not see her again.... The nurses [at Strong Fertility Center- Univ of Rochester]were great and I always Felt well taken care of... There was a doctor who performed one of my ultrasounds that was very cold and I requested not to see him again. He was very discouraging and I cried The entire way home from this appointment.
The nurses [at Strong Fertility Center- Univ of Rochester]were great and I always Felt well taken care of... There was a doctor who performed one of my ultrasounds that was very cold and I requested not to see him again. He was very discouraging and I cried The entire way home from this appointment. I do Not believe he should have access to other doctors patients with the attitude he has.
She was friendly and warm. She took time to answer all my questions and make me feel comfortable. I do wish I had seen her at more appointments. She did not perform my egg retrieval or transfer. After we started the IVF process I did not see her again.
Skip IUI and save money.
I never felt like a number. De. Masaba was great.
The nurses were great and I always Felt well taken care of