Medical SchoolMed U. of S. Carolina
530-771-0177
2288 Auburn Blvd
Sacramento, CA 95821
916-568-2125
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Ernest Zeringue to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend California IVF: Davis Fertility Center to a friend?
2013 - 2018
Dr. Z [Zeringue] is very knowledgeable about his field! He was wonderful about explaining exactly what we needed to do, straightforward about any risks, but also personable. He made himself available for any questions or concerns we had. I would recommend Dr. Z to anyone!... He would always make sure I was comfortable and good to go before we proceeded with anything. And the nursing staff and patients advocate are exceptional. When we went back for the second transfer 3 years later, I really felt like they were all so excited for us and loved meeting our daughter. We had a great experience there!
2013 - 2018
How was your experience with Ernest Zeringue at California IVF: Davis Fertility Center?
Dr. Z is very knowledgeable about his field! He was wonderful about explaining exactly what we needed to do, straightforward about any risks, but also personable. He made himself available for any questions or concerns we had. I would recommend Dr. Z to anyone!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ernest Zeringue at California IVF: Davis Fertility Center?
Go! He gave us our daughter and had sense protected his practice even more. I highly recommend him!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ernest Zeringue at California IVF: Davis Fertility Center?
I felt like Dr. Z was good about being available to answer questions. He would always make sure I was comfortable and good to go before we proceeded with anything. And the nursing staff and patients advocate are exceptional. When we went back for the second transfer 3 years later, I really felt like they were all so excited for us and loved meeting our daughter. We had a great experience there!
Describe the protocols Ernest Zeringue used in your cycles at California IVF: Davis Fertility Center and their degree of success.
I really don’t remember the exact procedures. I know I took follistem. Had an egg retrieval, Isco performed and transfer on day 5 or 7 I believe. We transferred 2 and froze the other 4. The transfer didn’t take so 2 months later we transferred 2 more and we got pregnant with our daughter. 3 years later we went back and transferred the final 2 embryos. The quality of these embryos was not rated very well and they did not take.
Describe your experience with your nurse at California IVF: Davis Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Janet)
They were excellent! They are very knowledgeable but also you could tell they were truly compassionate for their patients and passionate about their job! We had Janet as a nurse first and then care coordinator half way through our first treatment. Holly our first care coordinator (who was also amazing) went on maternity leave so Janet took over our case. Then we also had her our second time around 3 years later. She was wonderful! The other staff at the facility is great too. I don’t remember any of the other names, but they were all very caring.
Describe your experience with California IVF: Davis Fertility Center.
I really can’t think of any negatives at this point. We had a truly great experience there. The clinic is knowledgeable and i feel they stay on top of the new medical advancements in fertility treatments. They also offer military discount which was a HUGE help for us!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ernest Zeringue at California IVF: Davis Fertility Center.
The egg retrieval and first transfer were $12,500 for military in 2013/2014. Each transfer after that was $2,500 with military discount
Describe Ernest Zeringue's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at California IVF: Davis Fertility Center.
He gave us the otption to choose 1 or 2 embryos. We chose to have 2 transferred each of the 3 times just because we really didn’t mind the risk of twins. But I felt like he really told us the risks of multiples from transferring 2.
2 IVF, Donor Sperm
As the owner of the clinic, Dr. Zeringue took us on as his own patients and ensured that everything was done to have the best results the second time....He clearly an expert in the field. He is able to communicate his knowledge in a way that makes sense as a patient...Each IVF process had many challenges and trials, but we are overall very happy with how he helped us...he did increase my amount of medication slightly. I don't recall the specific medications.
2 IVF, Donor Sperm
He clearly an expert in the field. He is able to communicate his knowledge in a way that makes sense as a patient. We had our first child under his care in 2016 and we are due in April of 2018 with our second. Each IVF process had many challenges and trials, but we are overall very happy with how he helped us.
As with any doctor, go into the process knowing that there will be challenges. My wife and I are confident that we were in the best care with Dr. Zeringue.
He and his nurse took a real interest in our situation. We originally saw Dr. Lovely at the same clinic. We did not get the results we wanted after we had a failed cycle with no embryos. As the owner of the clinic, Dr. Zeringue took us on as his own patients and ensured that everything was done to have the best results the second time.
We did reciprocal IVF. I went through the egg retrieval and my wife carried the embryos. After our failed cycle, and were transferred to Dr. Zeringue, he did increase my amount of medication slightly. I don't recall the specific medications.
Describe your experience with your nurse at California IVF: Davis Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Linda Goldsworth )
We loved working with Linda. She was in constant communication with us, and always made us feel that we could ask any questions along the way. She is also very compassionate and truly cares about her patients.
Describe your experience with California IVF: Davis Fertility Center.
We loved working with the doctor and nurse. It is an organized and professional clinic. The only weakness I would give is insurance coordination. I've been dealing with having my treatments covered for the last year. The insurance company blames and the clinic, and the clinic blames the insurance company.
Our first two cycles were about $25,000 for the first child. Our embryo transfer was about $5,000.
Because of their increase in success rates, the doctor was very confident in recommending a single embryo transfer.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
I went through two IUI cycles with Dr. Zeringue. He had me on Leuprolide and then started me on 300 IU of Menopur a day when I started taking both shots on the same day. He had me come in for multiple ultrasounds to monitor how well my follicles were responding. The first cycle I did with Dr. Zeringue gave me two viable eggs with no pregnancy result. The second cycle I did with Dr. Zeringue gave me three viable eggs (the most eggs I have had while doing IUI) with no pregnancy result. Dr. Zeringue thought that doing one more IUI cycle would theoretically give me even more eggs with a higher chance of pregnancy but my insurance would not cover the last cycle.
Latino, Native American
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
I felt that Dr. Zeringue would explain the entire procedure and we would leave knowing exactly what was going to happen. However, his bedside manner was not as compassionate as Dr. Lovely's was. He is a very smart doctor and I did produce more eggs with his treatment than with Dr. Lovely's.
Ask any question you can think of and Dr. Zeringue will be able to answer it.
I felt that Dr. Zeringue would answer all questions I had and was very informative. However, his bedside manner was neutral but not the best either.
Describe your experience with your nurse at California IVF: Davis Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Samantha Shahin)
I was lucky enough to have the same coordinator throughout my three IUI cycles at California IVF Davis. I had two different doctors (Lovely and Zeringue) but was so thankful I was able to have Samantha as my coordinator throughout. She has amazing bedside manner and I never felt judged if I started to cry in front of her. When she showed me how to use the shots for the first time she was very patient and answered any question I had.
Describe your experience with California IVF: Davis Fertility Center.
The only weakness that this clinic has is the long wait times. A strength they gained recently was moving locations into the Natomas area. Their former Davis waiting room area was very small and cramped when multiple people were waiting for their appointments. The new location is much more spacious for patients and staff.
Each of my cycles varied on cost since I had leftover medication from my first cycle with Dr. Zeringue that I was able to use on my second cycle. The first cycle was roughly $3,500 and the second cycle was roughly $2,500.
Davis
He's [Dr. Zeringue] great ..fun. informative. Very knowledgeable. I worry that they don't test for any levels at this clinic. Every fee needs to be paid upfront and the transfer room was not a sterile environment like the retrieval room. I feel like trying different protocols just seems like a waste of time when you are 40 years old. I feel that they should have had me at the peak dosages instead of learning as we go with my body response.
He's great ..fun. informative. Very knowledgeable. I worry that they don't test for any levels at this clinic. Every fee needs to be paid upfront and the transfer room was not a sterile environment like the retrieval room. I feel like trying different protocols just seems like a waste of time when you are 40 years old. I feel that they should have had me at the peak dosages instead of learning as we go with my body response.
Be prepared to wait
They are a busy clinic. Sometimes wait times were in excess of an hour.
My first protocol included a long Lupron cycle. I only had 3 eggs. The 2nd was a very short Lupron protocol and added metronome, I had 10 eggs. I dont think freeze all cycles are the best in older women. I had 8 embryos at day 4 and only 2 at day 6. I think we should have tried to transfer on day 3 and froze the rest
Describe your experience with your nurse at California IVF: Davis Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Linda)
Linda was great. Friendly and understanding. I had one pet peeve and that was that not 1 nurse could give me an iv. The embriologist had to do it, and even that was after 4 pokes in. I felt like a pin cushion. I think overall I was poked over 15 times for 2 ivs
Describe your experience with California IVF: Davis Fertility Center.
Long wait times this clinic was very busy all the time. Long wait times all the time. The staff were friendly, doctors are knowledgeable...i just think if you want a more direct approach, you have to ask a lot of questions. This was all new to me and I didn't know what to ask. I had a cyst the entire two cycles which I think we all thought was a follicle. It's smart to do a lot of research before you go
Treatment, icsi, and transfer are 3 different fees and well as blood tests.
2012 - 2016
He [Dr. Zeringue] spends time with his patients, which means he's often running way behind schedule. I've never felt pressured to do any treatment or that he wouldn't keep me as a patient regardless of my test results. He encouraged us to keep our expectations realistic without bringing us down, and he adjusted treatments or fertilization techniques for subsequent cycles when we were unsuccessful...Dr Zerengue has always made sure I understood what's going on with my test results and cycles.
2012 - 2016
Dr Zerengue has always made sure I understood what's going on with my test results and cycles. He spends time with his patients, which means he's often running way behind schedule. I've never felt pressured to do any treatment or that he wouldn't keep me as a patient regardless of my test results. He encouraged us to keep our expectations realistic without bringing us down, and he adjusted treatments or fertilization techniques for subsequent cycles when we were unsuccessful.
Ask lots of questions and let him know if you don't understand something. He'll be more than happy to explain it until you do understand.
I really like Dr Zerengue and he made me feel human. The nurse coordinators at the clinic were sometimes hard to communicate with and I just felt like a number to them. Especially having done both cash payment cycles and insurance cycles.
For all 4 of my ivf cycles, I've been on the long lupron protocol. I don't think he changes it up much. FSH meds are determined by follicle count and AMH levels. There's no monitoring until day 9, then only ultrasound, no bloodwork. We did switch to an early ICSI fertilization for the last cycle, which greatly improved my egg fertilization.
I've had 3 nurse coordinators for 4 cycles at this clinic. So staff turns over regularly. This latest nurse has ok communication with calls usually not being returned until end of the day, regardless of urgency. I know she has other patients, but I don't feel that she appreciates what I'm going through and why I'm there...I'm just another patient to her. She is very knowledgeable though and easily answers any questions I have.
Describe your experience with California IVF: Davis Fertility Center.
The Davis location is great for me. Although I regularly have to wait 30+ minutes before being seen. They often book multiple patients for the same time slot, then I think they're seen according to who arrived first. (So showing up 10 min early for your appointment might be worth it.) The office is a little small and they can't handle as many patients as they have. Although I've been unhappy with the nurses, the rest of the staff and doctors are great.
We paid out of pocket for the first two fresh cycles, plus unlimited FET of the embryos produced in those cycles. $16000+ meds (online pharmacy, about $4-5000/cycle). There were some issues with the nurses not knowing the insurance mail pharmacy, but I didn't quite understand it either. Their billing person has made several mistakes billing insurance and us for the second two cycles and FETs, and we are still sorting through it more than a year after treatments.
We were always given the option of transferring one or two embryos with no preference or bias given by Dr. Zerengue or his staff. If we asked for guidance, we were only given scientific evidence.
PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Other
Dr. Zeringue has a unique personality. He tells you what you want to know and will answer any questions you have along the way. You can tell he cares about his clinic and patients. He is easy to get a hold of when you need him. He cares about his nurses which we enjoyed because we became very close to our nurse. He listened to what she had to say. They worked together as a team...He was personal with us. I also felt safe knowing I was with the doctor who started the clinic...
PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Other
Don't be afraid to ask any questions because he will happily answer.
It's hard to tell who decided what. Dr. Zeringue oversaw our two cycles. After our first failed cycle, the team at the clinic worked together to come up with a plan. One of my medications was increased to produce more eggs, the doctor who worked in the lab did ICSI on half of my retrieved eggs the day of retrieval to ensure fertilization, and assisted hatching was done when the two embryos were implanted to ensure latching. No one ever said whose plan this was (no one was trying to credit for each part of the plan) and everyone worked together as a team at the clinic. The plan worked and we had a healthy baby after our second IVF cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at California IVF: Davis Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Linda Goldsworth)
Our nurse, Linda, was AMAZING. We worked closely with her through both of our IVF cycles. She responded to all our emails and phone calls. She was there to comfort us when we needed it. There was a moment where even cried on each other. The compassion she showed towards us created the bond we still have today. We keep in touch even after the birth of our child.
Describe your experience with California IVF: Davis Fertility Center.
The clinic is great! It's clean, the staff is friendly, and everything is organized.
IVF is expensive no matter what clinic you go to. They had payment plans if needed. I remember there was one huge payment around $10,000 dollars but all the other payments were smaller (between hundreds and a few thousand). I can't remember the exact cost of one IVF cycle but I believe it's between $15-20,000.
Our doctor was supportive of a single embryo transfer or a two embryo transfer. We also had no children yet.
PCOS, Unexplained
He [Dr. Ernest Zeringue] is very good with communication and asking questions. Whenever this is something I don’t understand he will make sure I do before I leave his office...He always try’s new ways of treatment if the previous was unsuccessful. He is kind and makes sure you feel comfortable while going through the processes of treatment. He is very knowledgeable in his profession and makes things very easy to understand.
PCOS, Unexplained
To make sure you ask all the questions you need answered so you are more comfortable with treatment.
He is very good with communication and asking questions. Whenever this is something I don’t understand he will make sure I do before I leave his office.
1: 2.5 mg of Letrozole and trigger 2. 5 mg of letrozole and trigger 3: 5 mg of letrozole and trigger 4: 7.5 mg of letrozole and trigger 5:all 10 2.5 mg of letrozole at once with trigger
They answered all my questions when asked.
Describe your experience with California IVF: Davis Fertility Center.
The clinic is very clean and basically brand new. The staff is very nice and always makes you feel more at home. They all know you by name and it’s comforting knowing the care enough too. All appointments are smooth and quick so you are not there too long.
About $960 per clinic treatment And $250 for medication per treatment
Sacramento
timed intercourse [with Dr. Zeringue]. My dosage varied along with my meds. I tried about 11 cycles with femara then eventually added the trigger injection. Eventually we tried Clomid for 5 cycles...It was the same thing every time. Never got pregnant and some times even never had any follicle growth but he still did the same meds the next cycle. After almost a year of nothing he never wanted to do more in-depth tests or change things up
Be your own advocate
It felt like he didn’t personalize treatment for our needs. Especially when we were just doing monitored medicated timed intercourse cycles
Went in for a follicle scan CD3-5 then started meds that day for a week or so. Then go in to measure follicles then plan out when to trigger and do the timed intercourse. My dosage varied along with my meds. I tried about 11 cycles with femara then eventually added the trigger injection. Eventually we tried Clomid for 5 cycles.
Nice
Describe your experience with California IVF: Davis Fertility Center.
Not motivated to find the problem and eliminate possibilities. Very quick to “diagnose” unexplained infertility. The doctors and nursing staff were nice and didn’t give up which I appreciated. I just wish they wanted to find answers as to why this wasn’t working as bad as we wanted them.
Insurance covered our TI cycles
None
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Unexplained
Dr. Z [Ernest Zeringue] is a great doctor. We were very explicit about what we wanted and he did his best to accommodate that. He has been flexible with us and patient. We appreciate the detail he goes into when explaining any procedure or treatment.... He is honest and upfront about what to expect and never b.s'ed us the entire time.... Make sure you ask questions and be firm on what you want!
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Unexplained
Dr. Z is a great doctor. We were very explicit about what we wanted and he did his best to accommodate that. He has been flexible with us and patient. We appreciate the detail he goes into when explaining any procedure or treatment.
Make sure you ask questions and be firm on what you want! You are your own advocate!
Dr. Z made sure to answer any questions I had thoroughly. He is honest and upfront about what to expect and never b.s'ed us the entire time.
Femara-50 mg cd 3-7 HCG trigger shot HCG booster shots on 3 and 7 DPO.
Describe your experience with your nurse at California IVF: Davis Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Salina)
The nurses in the clinic are all wonderful. The biggest issue we confronted was that Salina is not the greatest communicator and she is not very understanding. I had to get mad and demand things a few times which I hate doing.
Describe your experience with California IVF: Davis Fertility Center.
The biggest thing is communication. Make sure you call them consistently if they don't respond because you can easily be forgotten.
50$ copay each visit
2008 - 2011
1 Embryo Freezing, IVF, Donor Sperm
Endometriosis, Male Factor
Dr. Zeringue was honest, blunt, confident, and caring. He was also a great counselor in the decision-making process of the sperm donor. He belongs doing what he is doing, as if he was meant for this line of work....They (Dr. Z and his staff) made me feel like they cared about my situation and wanted me to achieve becoming a mother. You could tell they cared about the quality of their work and their patients. They were more concerned with each patients outcome rather than the clinic making money...
2008 - 2011
1 Embryo Freezing, IVF, Donor Sperm
Endometriosis, Male Factor
To feel confident that he knows what he is doing and can help you achieve parenthood.
Describe your experience with your nurse at California IVF: Davis Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: his wife )
Warm, caring, accommodating, and helpful.