Medical SchoolBaylor
FellowshipBaylor
7900 Fannin
Houston, TX 77054
713-512-7900
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Ertug Kovanci to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Houston Fertility Specialists to a friend?
How was your experience with Ertug Kovanci at Houston Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Kovanci is very knowledgeable. I've had several bad experiences with other doctors/OBGYNs throughout this process. He was the first doctor that I felt really listened to my concerns, validated the concerns and then took the time to explain what was really going on. For explain, I was diagnosed with PCOS by my OBGYN. All he told me was that I had PCOS and to not worry about it. When I met with Dr. Kovanci I shared my concern about the PCOS and frustration with not really knowing what it was. He explained what it meant, how it effects fertility, did an ultrasound to confirm, and walked me through everything he saw on the ultrasound.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ertug Kovanci at Houston Fertility Specialists?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ertug Kovanci at Houston Fertility Specialists?
When we first met with Dr. Kovanci he was very knowledgeable and answered all of our questions. He took the time to explain everything in detail. However, now that our timeline will not continue until about May or June I'm having a hard time getting questions answered. This is more on the nursing staff than on the doctor. I've called 2x and left messages about the same questions with no one returning my calls. This makes me feel like a number and that they do not have time for me until we are ready to get started with the IVF cycle.
Describe the protocols Ertug Kovanci used in your cycles at Houston Fertility Specialists and their degree of success.
We have not started a cycle yet. We did all of the pre-testing and will start our first cycle of IVF in May/June. Unfortunately because of low sperm count and PCOS, IVF is our only option for treatment.
The only real issue I've had with the nursing staff is returning calls. I've called 2x now with the same questions and I have not received a call back. I know that my questions are not immediate needs, however I feel they are important and I don't feel like the nursing staff sees them as important.
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Specialists.
I absolutely love Claudia in the finance department. She is available at any time and answers all my questions. She has recommendations for assistance with finances and works with you to make sure you aren't overpaying.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ertug Kovanci at Houston Fertility Specialists.
Ultrasound was 150 Seman Analysis was 150 IVF 9,500 Genetic Testing 1,950 Medication 3,000-6,000
Houston
Dr. Kovanci immediately told me that if I were his patient that he would put me on a low dose thyroid medication which was not on the other doctor’s radar...The next time I saw Dr. Kovanci, he was confirming news that I was 6 weeks pregnant (no IVF needed). I am convinced that the thyroid meds made all the difference in my treatment, and I am thankful to Dr. Kovanci for trying to solve the medical issue.
How was your experience with Ertug Kovanci at Houston Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Kovanci discovered a potential problem in my treatment the first time we met. I had been seeing another fertility doctor for 9 months. Dr. Kovanci immediately told me that if I were his patient that he would put me on a low dose thyroid medication which was not on the other doctor’s radar. I had asked my other doctor about this , but Dr. Kovanci was the receptive one. He was very matter of fact but in a kind and respectful manner. He also did not pressure us to start seeing him. Dr. Kovanci explained the IVF cycle very thoroughly as well. I started the thyroid meds and ordered meds for the IVF cycle. I went to the appointment to learn how to give myself the meds. This all occurred in one months time. The next time I saw Dr. Kovanci, he was confirming news that I was 6 weeks pregnant (no IVF needed). I am convinced that the thyroid meds made all the difference in my treatment, and I am thankful to Dr. Kovanci for trying to solve the medical issue.
Trust him.
Dr. Kovanci was a second opinion for my husband and I. We had suffered 3 miscarriages, and we were ready to try an IVF cycle. Dr. Kovanci answered all of our questions thoroughly and even explained what he would treat prior to the IVF cycle. We felt comfortable and in good hands, and we felt compelled to change doctors after meeting with him.
Thyroid medication- Alrhough my thyroid numbers were in normal range, Dr. Kovanci recognized they were too high for optimal pregnancy. No birth control at start of IVF cycle- Dr. Kovanci made this decision based on my age (40). He stated that there was no scientific research, but he felt that he did not want to chance stifling my egg production. Both decisions ultimately changed my treatment and were beneficial for me.
Helpful and always provided answers.
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Specialists.
The Strengths are definitely the expertise of doctors and the price point for IVF treatment. This clinic was able to work with me (due to agreement with my insurance) even though insurance did not provide coverage. The weaknesses include the location with parking fees. This was an added expense as I live farther from this office. I also felt some weakness and lack of helpfulness from a few members of the front office staff.
We paid right under $4000 for IVF meds. We were prepared to pay an additional 12,000 for the cycle plus PGS, but this was not necessary at the last minute.
Poor Egg Quality, Other
Dr. Kovanchi is professional and explains well when asked about things. However, sometimes I felt like he could have done more to help me prepare for my cycle. If I asked what to eat, about supplements, acupuncture etc. he just said he doesn't really believe it makes a difference. After my failed cycle, and researching on my own, I believe it could have made a difference. He is very compassionate which I liked.
European, Black or African-American
Poor Egg Quality, Other
How was your experience with Ertug Kovanci at Houston Fertility Specialists?
Do your own research too. Don't just rely on what the Doctor tells you. Ask many questions.
I did not see my Doctor very often, and felt like a number until the actual retrieval. During the retrieval, transfer and follow up after failed IVF he was warm and attentive.
Antagonist protocol. I started on what he called normal dosage and was increased along my 12 days of stimming. He wanted as many eggs as possible. I ended up with 27 eggs, 16 mature, 5 fertilized and 1 blast made it to day 5. Negative beta.
The Katy nurse (Juanita) was wonderful. The Fannin Street nurses were not. I felt the lack of communication and attention to detail was a huge stressor for me during my cycle. The nurses in the lab where my procedures were done were excellent! Loved them all!
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Specialists.
Great lab and nurses at the lab. No long waits which I really enjoyed. I did not like how I thought all my monitoring was going to be done in Katy but then half the time I had to go downtown because the Doctors were out of the Katy office. I did like my Doctor for the most part as well.
$12000 for the IVF cycle, $550 for anaestesia, $1200 for monitoring, $1000 for freezing embryo + $3500 for medications
Describe Ertug Kovanci's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Houston Fertility Specialists.
I only had one blast so there was no choice to make. I would have done eSET if I had more.
What specific things went wrong at Houston Fertility Specialists?
Houston
Dr. Kovanci did not seem to have any issues with the fact that I was a single mom by choice. He was attentive and kind and honest about the statistics in my case....I immediately felt comfortable in Kovanci's presence and he was very upfront about all of the statistics based on my genetic testing... but he also seemed to love a challenge. He was always very compassionate and empathic toward my feelings and concerns. I have nothing negative to say. He took a chance on me...
European, Ashkenazi Jewish, Middle Eastern
How was your experience with Ertug Kovanci at Houston Fertility Specialists?
Prior to meeting Kovanci, I interviewed another FS, whom I did not like at all. I immediately felt comfortable in Kovanci's presence and he was very upfront about all of the statistics based on my genetic testing... but he also seemed to love a challenge. He was always very compassionate and empathic toward my feelings and concerns. I have nothing negative to say. He took a chance on me and against the odds, I became pregnant with twins on our 2nd try through IUI and gave birth to 2 healthy and happy little girls.
Trust him and the process.
First time, IUI was done with no drugs. Second IUI was done with Chlomid. The rationale for using Chlomid was two fold. I was out of town and needed to change the date of my ovulation and he wanted to see if Chlomid would increase the chances of a positive pregnancy result.
I remember only one negative experience. It was the moment of my first ultrasound. The nurse tech was having a bad morning and was rude. She turned the monitor away from me so that I could not see it and haphazardly announced I was having twins. Not a moment I will ever forget. I cannot recall her name, but I imagine it is in my chart.
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Specialists.
The only weakness was in the waiting period.
Insurance did not cover my costs for these visits or procedure. There was an initial consultation fee and then fees for the actual procedures.
What specific things went wrong at Houston Fertility Specialists?
IUI, 1 IVF
Dr. Kovanci was always pleasant and helpful when we met with him. We even saw him at a fertility event outside of appointments and he recognized us and came over to talk with my husband and I.... I wish we were able to see Dr Kovanci more, but we even saw him for a monitoring appointment. He was also helpful and answered all my questions no matter how crazy they were. Dr. Kovanci was very compassionate and caring during all the required procedures and eased my mind as we went through each one.
IUI, 1 IVF
How was your experience with Ertug Kovanci at Houston Fertility Specialists?
Prior to starting the IVF cycle we had most testing with our OB; however, we did a few additional including genetic testing. I was very thankful for this as we learned a it about our genetics and how they would work together. He prescribed what I would consider an average amount of medication that I have seen across multiple people utilizing IVF.
They were amazing!!! They always responded very quickly following a call or email. They never made me feel crazy even though my questions probably were. They were all very caring and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Specialists.
Very organized. Easy to get appointments and offer multiple locations. Wish the doctors had more hours at the clinic close to me instead of having to go the medical center location for many of my appointments.
$14,000 IVF (includes 2 transfers) $1750 PGS testing
Initially dr Kovanci went through the risks and benefits of each. I went in wanting to transfer two embryos, but ultimately decided on one after speaking with Dr. Kovanci.