Medical SchoolU. of Wisconsin
920-380-1161
W129 N7055 Northfield Drive
Menomonee Falls, WI 53051
262-253-5400
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Estil Strawn to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Froedtert & Medical College of Wisconsin to a friend?
2009 - 2012
We started with a myomecromy [with Dr. Strawn] to remove a uterine polyp and when I was healed, began Clomid...Unfortunately I miscarried before 8 weeks, but Dr. Strawn felt very good that we could achieve a successful pregnancy with that combination, so once the miscarriage was done and I had two normal cycles, we started Femara again and the fourth IUI was a success...was very professional and matter-of-fact in discussing our situation (secondary infertility of unknown cause) at the outset.
2009 - 2012
How was your experience with Estil Strawn at Froedtert & Medical College of Wisconsin?
At times I felt a bit rushed at the routine appointments, but I still felt the quality of care was exceptional and I knew I could count on Dr. Strawn and the staff to answer my questions and be available when needed. I’ve recommended Dr. Strawn to several others and their results have also been positive.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Estil Strawn at Froedtert & Medical College of Wisconsin?
If you don’t understand something, don’t be afraid to ask for more information or a more basic explanation.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Estil Strawn at Froedtert & Medical College of Wisconsin?
Dr. Strawn was very professional and matter-of-fact in discussing our situation (secondary infertility of unknown cause) at the outset. When my third IUI resulted in a long-awaited pregnancy - and then a heartbreaking miscarriage before 8 weeks - he was incredibly compassionate. He consoled me for the loss, but said very frankly that I should not lose hope because we had finally discovered the right combination of things to get me pregnant (Femara & IUI) and he felt very good about being able to achieve a viable pregnancy. I conceived with the next IUI + Femara and it resulted in my little girl!
Describe the protocols Estil Strawn used in your cycles at Froedtert & Medical College of Wisconsin and their degree of success.
After my regular OB-GYN had conducted the basic tests and couldn’t find a reason for us not conceiving a second child, i went to Dr. Strawn & Dr. Paul Robb to step things up. They repeated a few of the tests, checked other things and ultimately diagnosed secondary infertility of unknown cause. They felt we were good candidates for IUI, and given my age (36), decided to use Clomid. We started with a myomecromy to remove a uterine polyp and when I was healed, began Clomid. I had two cycles of IUI on Clomid that did not result in pregnancy. I had really bad headaches on Clomid and wasn’t fond of how I felt on it, but persevered. The third cycle on Clomid, I ended up developing a rare and disturbing visual side effect midway through and called Dr. Strawn’s office. They immediately had me stop taking Clomid and we opted not to move ahead with IUI that cycle so as to avoid wasting an IUI without the full course of Clomid. As I was then unable to continue on Clomid, we had to look at another option. He suggested Femara, a medication used to treat estrogen-related breast cancer, because it had a strong unintended fertility side effect but a much better side effect profile than Clomid. I took Femara for my third IUI - I felt great on it and it resulted in a pregnancy! Unfortunately I miscarried before 8 weeks, but Dr. Strawn felt very good that we could achieve a successful pregnancy with that combination, so once the miscarriage was done and I had two normal cycles, we started Femara again and the fourth IUI was a success. My daughter is now almost 7 years old!
I remember them being very efficient and helpful.
Describe your experience with Froedtert & Medical College of Wisconsin.
I don’t recall having anything negative to say about my experience with the clinic. I felt that their communication, availability and compassion were all excellent. I was very grateful to have that team so close to my home.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Estil Strawn at Froedtert & Medical College of Wisconsin.
Our insurance covered up to six IUI procedures and covered both the Clomid and Femara. I don’t recall what the out of pocket costs were.
Describe Estil Strawn's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Froedtert & Medical College of Wisconsin.
2011 - 2016
we were with Dr. Strawn for many years and many cycles, he was great. We liked his straight forward answers to our questions. He didn't treat us as a number, he remembered us every time we were in and when we did become pregnant he was just as excited as we were... I do remember being monitored closely and the doctors making decisions based on the ultrasound and blood work. I even had a cycle stopped once because of polyps and the doctor felt I had a better chance with IVF with them removed.
2011 - 2016
There was a reason we were with Dr. Strawn for many years and many cycles, he was great. We liked his straight forward answers to our questions. He didn't treat us as a number, he remembered us every time we were in and when we did become pregnant he was just as excited as we were.
Look into the multi cycle packages
The nurses and doctors knew me every time I walked in. The nurses were always available and helpful when I had questions. Everyone was honest with us as well. Any question we asked got an upfront answer and no tip toeing around it.
I don't remember details but I do remember being monitored closely and the doctors making decisions based on the ultrasound and blood work. I even had a cycle stopped once because of polyps and the doctor felt I had a better chance with IVF with them removed.
The nursing staff was great. They were very helpful and always available.
Describe your experience with Froedtert & Medical College of Wisconsin.
The clinic was moved a few years ago from the main hospital to a seperate building. The upgrades were great. The new location is easier to get to and was alot of more comfortable. The exam rooms were separated from the procedure rooms which was great.
It was many years ago so I am sure they have changed or I could be wrong....1 fresh cycle was $18,000 + the cost of medication. 2 fresh and 2 frozen cycles were $30000 + the cost of medication + the cost of anesthesia.
I think they wouldn't do more then 2 embryos but we never even though of doing more then 2. We did 1 and 2.
IUI, 2 IVF
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Dr. Strawn is an intelligent physician and is very attentive to answer any question you may have. His bedside manner is warm and he is never rushed....I felt like Dr. Shawn tried to fit me into a generic protocol instead of making a protocol to fit me and my history....Our first IVF we used the antagonist protocol which we were happy with. Our second IVF we tried the Long Lupron protocol and it yielded four times the embryos.
IUI, 2 IVF
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Advocate for yourself. Ask as many questions as you can come up with.
The clinic is full of nurses and a great support staff. The downside of that is you rarely see or talk to the same nursing staff and each time you contact the clinic you have to explain your situation and/or they have to read your chart. I wish I had one nurse to contact, even if I had to wait to hear back from them. There is a nurse line you'll wait forever on to get through and return calls and emails can take up to two days.
Describe your experience with Froedtert & Medical College of Wisconsin.
The clinic is only a couple years old so it is beautiful and very spacious. They use leading technology for all their equipment. The procedure rooms connect directly to the embryology lab and the recovery rooms are comfortable. They have ample ultrasound and consult rooms. The staff keep the office very clean.
IVF with ICSI is $12,000. The clinic partners with Attain IVF that offers discounted IUI and IVF multi-packages. We purchased a 2 IVF cycle package with a 50% refund for $23,650, plus medications.
What specific things went wrong at Froedtert & Medical College of Wisconsin?
Appleton
[Dr. Strawn] Had a warm and straight manner. Did not follow up on failed cycle... Was realistic about chances and fast to diagnose and correct fertility problems. Skilled surgeon. Approach was not as customized as it could have been and PGS testing was not as well explained as it could have been. Main problem was lack of follow up because he changed clinics at the end of my failed FET... Make sure you are an advocate for yourself and ask questions. He is open to listening.
Had a warm and straight manner. Did not follow up on failed cycle
Antoginist protocol with Gonal-f 300 and Menopur 150. Second time around less Gonal-f at 200IU, not sure why but got more eggs.
Did not make me feel like I could ring and ask questions. Was inpatient and dismissive. Abrupt and curt manner.
Describe your experience with Froedtert & Medical College of Wisconsin.
Attached to a medical school but does not use latest techniques or recommend any potential suppliments. Two remaining REs seem knowledgeable and helpful. So clinic may have changed a bit since medical director left
$12K IVF plus medicines
Dr. preferred 2 embryo transfer when I was more interested in a eSET and two attempts
What specific things went wrong at Froedtert & Medical College of Wisconsin?
Anovulation, Tubal Blockage, Other
I have gotten to know Dr Strawn very well over the last 4.5 years and when we returned to him for IVF for a third child after our twins were older, he remembered me without a problem. He joked around with me when it was appropriate to lighten my anxiety and he was serious and sincere when t was appropriate. I am anxious and very informed and opinionated and he always responded to me appropriately in a way that helped "reign me in." He was a perfect match for me and my personality and the way I like things to be done...
Anovulation, Tubal Blockage, Other
I have had 4 embryo transfers, 2 fresh and 2 frozen. Different doctors did each of my fresh and the both failed. Strawn did both my frozen and it was successful both times, for a total of three children over 5 years. He has performed 2 egg retrievals with results that were better than expected, and one surgery that went well without complication. I trust him without question and I owe my family and the lives of my beautiful, perfect children to him.
Trust him.
2012 - 2014
Dr. Strawn was honest with me from the start about what he saw as the pitfalls of the course of treatment I was seeking. With my second embryo transfer, after a miscarriage with my first, Dr. Strawn made sure to tell me that he knew how difficult my process had been and how important it was for me to be successful. I felt like he was genuinely excited for me when I reached the point of being able to be released to my OB's care....Throughout the ups and downs of my fertility treatments with Dr. Strawn and the other doctors at the Reproductive Medicine Clinic, they and the other staff members were compassionate and caring.
2012 - 2014
Ask questions and at the same time trust in the process.
There were times I felt like the nurses were abrupt, but I definitely felt cared for after my miscarriage.
Given that my only reason for seeking fertility treatments is that I am a single mother by choice when it came time for me to try IVF (vs my 6 unsuccessful IUIs), my numbers all pointed to there being no reason to transfer more than one embryo.