Medical SchoolU. of Chile
410.512.8300
201 Plumtree Road
Bel Air, MD 21015
410.569.0545
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Eugene Katz to a friend?
5.2

5.2

4.9

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Shady Grove Fertility to a friend?
Dr. Katz was friendly and talked to me like a real person...explained things well. He did seem kind of rushed at times. He did seem to want what was best for me, and was not worried about if I would stay a full patient with his clinic...We ended up keeping our embryos in KC and performing an ERA test and doing outside monitoring with Dr. Katz. During the ERA test, he had me on oral estrogen 3x/day and then progesterone in oil for 6 days prior to the biopsy. The test results were that my lining was normal receptive 6 days after beginning the progesterone.
Jenna [nurse at Shady Grove Fertility-Bel Air] was very friendly and compassionate. She would call and explain things to me and answer any questions I had. We did have some times when we were playing phone tag and I had a little difficulty getting in touch with her...It took a while for the initial consult though. The nurses and staff were friendly and seemed knowledgeable regarding their jobs. There was a little miscommunication when I became an outside monitoring patient and they had trouble figuring out where my results were and where they were going.
How was your experience with Eugene Katz at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Katz was friendly and explained things well. He did seem kind of rushed at times. He did seem to want what was best for me, and was not worried about if I would stay a full patient with his clinic.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eugene Katz at Shady Grove Fertility?
He has an accent and talks kind of fast, so if you don't understand, ask him to repeat himself.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eugene Katz at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Katz was friendly and talked to me like a real person.
Describe the protocols Eugene Katz used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Dr. Katz was helping me determine if we should move our embryos to his clinic in Maryland or keep them in KC and just do outside monitoring with Shady Grove. He explained the pros and cons well, and genuinely seemed to want what was best for me. We ended up keeping our embryos in KC and performing an ERA test and doing outside monitoring with Dr. Katz. During the ERA test, he had me on oral estrogen 3x/day and then progesterone in oil for 6 days prior to the biopsy. The test results were that my lining was normal receptive 6 days after beginning the progesterone.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jenna)
Jenna was very friendly and compassionate. She would call and explain things to me and answer any questions I had. We did have some times when we were playing phone tag and I had a little difficulty getting in touch with her.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic is definitely busy, but they were able to schedule my follow-up appointments in a timely manner. It took a while for the initial consult though. The nurses and staff were friendly and seemed knowledgeable regarding their jobs. There was a little miscommunication when I became an outside monitoring patient and they had trouble figuring out where my results were and where they were going.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eugene Katz at Shady Grove Fertility.
Consultation was covered under my insurance. The ERA test/biopsy was $595. My ultrasound appointment as an outside patient were $295 (which was quite a bit more than the $187 my clinic in KC said they charge).
Describe Eugene Katz's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Eugene Katz at Shady Grove Fertility.

I only saw Dr. Katz twice and both times rank as the worst heath care experience, I have ever had...I told him to leave and said, that I didn't want to see him because of his lack of professionalism. He wouldn't leave. He kept weirdly asking me to forgive him. When I said no he proceeded to tell me that forgiving him would "make me feel better." I basically had to yell at him to get him to leave.
For the most part, the nursing staff [Shady Grove] is nice and compassionate - so there's that. Their appointments are timely-so that's good - and they have a nice office (if that's important to you)...I rescheduled the HSG and then requested the clinic never schedule me with him again. I was "accidentally" scheduled with him 3 more times...The nursing staff at Shady Grove, are for the most part excellent. I did have one nurse that provided conflicting information with my doctor
How was your experience with Eugene Katz at Shady Grove Fertility?
Please see my above comment about his bizarrely unprofessional behavior. He was awful. He made unprofessional "jokes" about punishing me, and wouldn't leave a room so I could get dressed.
Don't go to him.
I only saw Dr. Katz twice and both times rank as the worst heath care experience, I have ever had. I was scheduled with an HSG with him. I had never met before. He walked in the room, said "Are you ready for your punishment?" I was so shocked I said nothing. He continued to joke for another minute and then walked out. I had to ask the nurse who he was and I was so upset, I rescheduled the HSG and then requested the clinic never schedule me with him again. I was "accidentally" scheduled with him 3 more times. I left twice and the third time, he just walked in the room and started talking to me even though another provider was there and my exam was complete. I told him to leave and said, that I didn't want to see him because of his lack of professionalism. He wouldn't leave. He kept weirdly asking me to forgive him. When I said no he proceeded to tell me that forgiving him would "make me feel better." I basically had to yell at him to get him to leave. The whole time I was sitting on the exam table half naked with only the little paper sheet they give you. It was awful.
I was scheduled with him by the clinic. I was completing a medicated IUI cycle.
The nursing staff at Shady Grove, are for the most part excellent. I did have one nurse that provided conflicting information with my doctor, but she has sense left.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove is a big box store of fertility. It is a chain so don't expect to get personalized treatment. You pretty much never know which doctor you are going to get when you go in for monitoring, which if you want continuity of care is not great. For the most part, the nursing staff is nice and compassionate - so there's that. Their appointments are timely-so that's good - and they have a nice office (if that's important to you).
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Katz has an awkward bedside manner, joking around inappropriately and just saying uncomfortable things sometimes. We would sometimes have a list of questions and he would just tell us to ask the nurses. At our very first visit he asked why we were even trying to use my eggs (I was age 38 at the time). We felt like he never really wanted to give us a chance with them and wasn't invested in the outcome.... When I asked about trying HGH and maybe testing for some other things, Dr Katz got offended and refused.
I could never get through to schedule monitoring appointments, so I started just showing up the mornings I was supposed to go and being prepared to wait....Once I waited 2.5 hours....we didn't have a lot of trust in the clinic [Shady Grove - Towson]. I'd say you need to be a strong advocate for yourself if you're going to go there....Elayne is also kind of blunt, not very warm. I felt like she was overworked. She'd respond by email but sometimes it would take a couple days.
European, Black or African-American, Native American
How was your experience with Eugene Katz at Shady Grove Fertility?
I honestly wouldn't go to him unless you're just starting out with fertility treatments and are willing to try a bit without much on the line. If you've already been trying for some time, I'd go to somebody more compassionate and invested.
It felt like SG has one protocol that you get and they will not veer off from it regardless of your specific health history. They were going to continue me with the same protocol just higher dosages even though my eggs grew at different rates. When I asked about trying HGH and maybe testing for some other things, Dr Katz got offended and refused.
BCP for 3 weeks, Gonal F 200mg, Menopur 75-100 mg, Cetrotide at the end, IM trigger shot in the butt. Had 3 fertilized eggs at day 3, only 2 at day 5. We waited til day but neither was a blastocyst so they were discarded and there was no transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Elayne Kochis)
Elayne is also kind of blunt, not very warm. I felt like she was overworked. She'd respond by email but sometimes it would take a couple days. If she was off, I had no idea how to get through to somebody. Overall the clinic seemed disorganized. There were 2 nurses who take blood that I really liked and looked forward to seeing.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
We thought SG had a good reputation and thought we'd be in good hands. Very quickly on, we realized it wasn't true for us and we didn't have a lot of trust in the clinic. I'd say you need to be a strong advocate for yourself if you're going to go there.
Once I waited 2.5 hours.
Insurance covered most

2014 - 2017
3 IVF, 5 Egg Freezing, 2 Embryo Freezing
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
The ordeal [at Shady Grove] took several weeks to resolve, escalating to the supervisor and then again to the financial manager. In the end as a compromise they allowed us to get one cycle at the lower rate. It was frustrating and disappointing to have this happen at the beginning of the year and we felt stuck until the following fall when we were able to switch insurance again. This wasn't so much the clinic's fault as much as one employee who did her job poorly and gave us wrong information which had long lasting effects on us.
2014 - 2017
Ashkenazi Jewish, Middle Eastern
3 IVF, 5 Egg Freezing, 2 Embryo Freezing
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
How was your experience with Eugene Katz at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Eugene Katz is very knowledgeable in his field. He is a good doctor and knows what he's doing. Whenever treatment failed (i.e., miscarriage) he was patient at our follow up appointment explaining next steps and different options. At no point did we feel like he gave up on us or encourage us to do something we weren't interested in doing. We came prepared with questions and he took the time to patiently answer them, in person. Our treatment has not yet worked, but we've tweaked the process with Dr. Katz every step of the way. His phone manner is fine, not the best but also not the warmest. While it's hard to deliver bad news over the phone, he's got it down pat. It's hard to say whether the bad news affects my opinion of his phone manner.
I would tell prospective patients to come prepared to appointments and be informed of your options going in, so that when the doctor brings something up you're not playing catch up. There is a lot of information at every appointment and it's ok to ask questions. Don't let being overwhelmed keep you from pursuing different options. Don't get bogged down with internet searches that make you second guess your medical professional. Specifically with Dr. Katz, be prepared to see different doctors (whoever is on call) for different procedures like egg retrieval or embryo transfers.
The Shady Grove Towson office is a very busy place and it's often run like a factory. This is good and bad. Due to the sheer volume of patients they provide cycles all year round with monitoring every day of the week including holidays which is convenient. The downside is that the office is missing the "warm" component because they run the office like a business. They try to assign a specific nurse per patient to be your go-to contact in the office, but there is turnover in the nursing staff as well as days off where your assigned nurse isn't there. There is always someone available to answer questions and knows how to look up your chart to give you accurate information, but it doesn't feel they're invested in your success. Dr. Katz himself is a great doctor but he is very busy and not the best on the phone. In person he is very patient and caring, giving you the feeling he's on your side.
We used the antagonist protocol for all five IVF cycles using Menopur, Gonal-F, and Cetrotide. The dosage started out small (i.e., 75 menopur and 300 Gonal-F) and got increased as we got closer to egg retrieval. About six days before scheduled retrieval I started on Cetrotide once daily. For the first four FET and ERA protocols I was on delestrogen 0.2 every three days, PIO daily started after lining check, and prenatal vitamin daily. For the fifth FET protocol in addition to the deletrogen and PIO we added Prednison and Lovenox (anti-inflammatory and blood thinner) .
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie H.)
Since I've been with the clinic several years I have gone through three nurses as they move positions throughout the different Shady Grove offices. In Jan 2016 I was assigned my current nurse and she's been the best so far. When she is out for her scheduled days off she always has an away message on her email and someone monitoring her phone. Information is always relayed promptly and accurately. Emails and messages are always responded to promptly which I greatly appreciate. Beside for my regular nurse, all the backup nurses, lab technicians who draw blood, office staff, etc. are all knowledgeable and friendly. I've never had any issues with any of the nursing staff.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The Shady Grove Towson office has many strengths, including: The front office is organized; there is monitoring every day; the doctors take the time to answer questions; there is ample parking which is validated at the front desk; the location is convenient to me and right off the highway; scheduling is never an issue; professional staff; they are located upstairs from a specialty pharmacy (Austin) which has employees that are amazing to work with; the waiting room is spacious and clean. There are also several weaknesses, such as: long wait times for monitoring appointments sometimes, but especially during weekends or holidays; no "warmth" from staff in treatment. It feels like a sterile environment and that they're not so invested in your success; the financial aspect is difficult depending on which staff member you're talking to - make sure you understand everything and confirm in writing.
Upward of $40,000 to date
Dr. Katz was very adamant about transferring only one embryo. In his opinion the odds do not increase with multiple embryos transferred and that the risk of premature labor with twins/multiples was too great.

Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Stephanie [a nurse at Shady Grove] was nice at first but became annoyed with my questions. Frequently she would send me "out the door" emails with less than desireable news at 5pm on Friday knowing she is leaving and will not return until Tuesday. I found this frustrating. Considering she has been through ivf and losses she was often not compassionate or empathetic to my anxieties.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
How was your experience with Eugene Katz at Shady Grove Fertility?
At first Dr. Katz was warm and confident. He made us feel as though we were prime candidates for IVF and would be a simple fix. As we went on through our cycles and things came up we felt very mislead. Dr. Katz refused to acknowledge that autoimmune issues play a role in fertility even after I brought him numberous studies he refused to treat my immune system as it pertained to my infertility. He was very cold as the cycles went on. I felt he gave up on me when he said we needed a surrogate but we never tried anything different. He would only stay on the phone for a brief period, it became obvious that my questions were a burden to him. He talked us out of PGS testing and refused to transfer two embryos when I requested it. He told me my children would have CP and hung the phone up on me.
Don't waste your time. If you are not a cookie cutter IVF patient he is not the Doctor for you.
I felt like Dr Katz treated me as a number of a dollar sign. We wanted to PGS our embryos from the beginning but he talked us out of it say "oh, you are young. You'll have no problems" well I miscarried my first fresh 5 day transfer. My beta numbers were low and I got a quick see you in three days. Cycle two was a frozen cycle. I was never informed that my uterine lining thickness was not ideal for transfer but he had me transfer anyways. That cycle ended in a negative beta. Dr. Katz called me said I am sorry your beta is negative, next time. Goodbye and hung up. Less than a 2 min phone call. Cycle three my lining wouldn't thicken but my protocol did not change from cycle two when it didn't thicken either. Before this cycle stated I told Dr. Katz I wanted to transfer two embryos after they were PGS tested he told me my children would have CP and hung up on me. After an extended frozen cycle three and my lining never reaching 8mm Dr. Katz told me I would need a surrogate. I did not fit into a standard protocol and he refused to individualize one for me.
For my stims I used garinerlix, menopur and folistim. Triggered with Lupron. Never received hcg. I had many follicles and was at risk for OHSS. After retrieval I took PIO and Estrace by mouth. I had 25 eggs retrieved 22 mature eggs. 22 fertilized with icsi day 3 I had 14 embryos day 5 I had 8 embryos grade 5AA After PGS we had 3 normal embryos would not reveal gender. For my frozen cycles I took IM delestrogen and PIO. Transfered 1 negative beta. Embryo had 100% cell survival My last frozen cycle we added vaginal estrace to delestrgen. No embryo transfer cycle canceled
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Hernandez )
Stephanie was nice at first but became annoyed with my questions. Frequently she would send me "out the door" emails with less than desireable news at 5pm on Friday knowing she is leaving and will not return until Tuesday. I found this frustrating. Considering she has been through ivf and losses she was often not compassionate or empathetic to my anxieties.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
They typically did get you in an out quickly with the morning monitoring appointments but were not personal. The techs in the morning would not remember your name and after 10 hcg tests to trend my miscarriage the tech still said big day! when she say the hcg on the lab label...no remeber I was here two days ago and reminded you then I was miscarrying. The front desk twice forgot to add me to the schedule. Finance office was great. Wendi the PA also made me feel like I was burdening her, she made filing for my FMLA difficult it took 41 days to have that paperwork completed
We had insurance coverage so it was $2000 up front to meet my deductible. Medication costs with insurance co-pay was about $200. To freeze the remaining embryos $500 PGS was $2000 for Shady Grove and $2500 for FEC $600 "thaw" fee for each frozen cycle
Dr. Katz was strongly against transferring multiple embryos even when requested. It was difficult to get statistics and risks out of him. He told us flat out no.

3 IUI, IVF, Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing
For my first iui [with Dr. Katz], I used Chlomid and it took a long time and a second dose to get my follicles to grow. After it was a failed iui, for the next one he suggested that I use letrozole. I had a better outcome with my follicles the second round even though it resulted in a negative iui...He is a very person friendly doctor and was open to listening to everything I told him and trying to come up with a plan that specifically fit my husband and I
I absolutely love my nurse [at Shady Grove Fertility]! She is very compassionate and always available for when I have questions. She always is there when I need her and is super organized...Each iui cycle was $1,800. Not including the medicines which were about $200. The ivf I just paid for was $18,500. The medicines for one cycle came to $3,100...some of their weekend staff at Towson seem to not like their jobs and another negative about the company is their billing department. Sometimes it seems like they are only out to get your money.
3 IUI, IVF, Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Eugene Katz at Shady Grove Fertility?
He is a very knowledgeable doctor that has years of success under him and I would recommend him to any of my friends. When one thing doesn’t work, he always has another plan. I also like that he cares about your feelings and wants the best outcome for you.
Be patient. Things may take time, but God didn’t build the earth in one day.
For my first iui, I used Chlomid and it took a long time and a second dose to get my follicles to grow. After it was a failed iui, for the next one he suggested that I use letrozole. I had a better outcome with my follicles the second round even though it resulted in a negative iui.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jenna Kowalchek)
I absolutely love my nurse! She is very compassionate and always available for when I have questions. She always is there when I need her and is super organized
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
One strength I think they have is their success rates. Some negatives would be some of their weekend staff at Towson seem to not like their jobs and another negative about the company is their billing department. Sometimes it seems like they are only out to get your money.
Unfortunately my insurance covered nothing. Each iui cycle was $1,800. Not including the medicines which were about $200. The ivf I just paid for was $18,500. The medicines for one cycle came to $3,100
I have not started my IVF cycle yet
+ Read more- Read less

Truthfully, I felt like there were certain things that were 'missed' [by Dr. Katz and Shady Grove Fertility] and felt that if I weren't 100% on top of things I may not have gotten pregnant. In short, I felt details were missed... Whenever I spoke with my doctor I never really felt he recalled who I was or the details of my treatment.
The clinic [Shady Grove Fertility] itself was very busy. Whenever I spoke with my doctor I never really felt he recalled who I was or the details of my treatment.... I liked her [my nurse] as a person but felt attention to detail was lacking tremendously which strongly affected my experience.
How was your experience with Eugene Katz at Shady Grove Fertility?
I'm very happy that I was able to conceive with just one round of IUI so this experience jades my perception of him in a positive manner. Truthfully, I felt like there were certain things that were 'missed' and felt that if I weren't 100% on top of things I may not have gotten pregnant. In short, I felt details were missed.
Stay on top of your care and ask for as much clarification as you need. Ask lots of questions and stay on top of your care!
The clinic itself was very busy. Whenever I spoke with my doctor I never really felt he recalled who I was or the details of my treatment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Natalie)
Very compassionate, however, disorganized and forgetful. I liked her as a person but felt attention to detail was lacking tremendously which strongly affected my experience.
2009 - 2012
Dr. Katz was a compassionate doctor, and despite not having a successful pregnancy I would recommend him as a physician to someone dealing with infertility....He communicates well the plan of treatment and changes throughout the course of the treatment. He demonstrated compassion after a failed egg retrieval and informed myself and my husband with the change in our plan....Bravelle, Menopur, Gonal F, HCG, ICSI....ask any and all questions you may have along the way.
Clinic [Shady Grove - Bel Air] was very profession and aesthetically appealing. The staff was courteous and kind during every visit. They demonstrated an interest in our personal journey and desire for success. They were saddened when we didn’t succeed and they want to stay in contact with us despite going to another fertility clinic for our last attempt....[Cost Of Treatment] $20000.00...Dr. Katz was a compassionate doctor, and despite not having a successful pregnancy I would recommend him as a physician to someone dealing with infertility.
2009 - 2012
How was your experience with Eugene Katz at Shady Grove Fertility?
Take notes, and ask any and all questions you may have along the way.
Bravelle, Menopur, Gonal F, HCG, ICSI
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Clinic was very profession and aesthetically appealing. The staff was courteous and kind during every visit. They demonstrated an interest in our personal journey and desire for success. They were saddened when we didn’t succeed and they want to stay in contact with us despite going to another fertility clinic for our last attempt.
$20000.00