5.2

Eve Feinberg works at

259 E. Erie St
Chicago, IL 60611
312-695-7269

Dr. Feinberg has a policy of only transferring 1 embryo per transfer. ... She cowers behind her nursing staff [Northwestern Medicine] to deliver difficult news, instead of calling and talking to you directly. We made the mistake of waiting longer for an initial appointment so that we could see Dr. Feinberg, but she really wasn't terribly involved in our care. ... Your doctor will likely not do your egg retrieval or transfer. ... Standard IVF protocol
Very poor, inexperienced nursing staff with a lot of turnover. ... This is a very poorly run clinic [Northwestern Medicine]. ... [Monitoring appointments] It is a cattle call. Expect to spend 30 min to an hour waiting. ... the financial care coordinator called before I had even finished miscarrying to inform me about the costs of a frozen transfer. I found this to be in very poor taste. ... No one at the clinic actually cares about you as a person, or the emotional stress related to the process.
How was your experience with Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Feinberg has a policy of only transferring 1 embryo per transfer. She says it is for the safety for mother and baby, but with Northwestern's cost of $5000 per frozen transfer, there is a financial incentive for you to fail so that she can make more money on subsequent transfers. She cowers behind her nursing staff to deliver difficult news, instead of calling and talking to you directly. We made the mistake of waiting longer for an initial appointment so that we could see Dr. Feinberg, but she really wasn't terribly involved in our care. I had a different doctor for both the egg retrieval and fresh transfer. All that waiting for her did was delay our ability to start treatment.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Don't wait to see her, because you really won't be seeing her. Take the first available appointment unless you feel like waiting another 6 months (or longer) to actually start treatment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
The clinic is a factory farm. You are not special. They don't care about you. You will have several nurses provide you information and several doctors will participate in your care. Your doctor will likely not do your egg retrieval or transfer. You will see who is on call that day.
Describe the protocols Eve Feinberg used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Standard IVF protocol, with a month of estrogen priming to start. 5 day fresh transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Claire)
Very poor, inexperienced nursing staff with a lot of turnover. They only communicate via email via mychart.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
This is a very poorly run clinic. Expect to spend at least an hour in the waiting room for every early morning monitoring appointment...even if you come at the very beginning of the window. No one at the clinic actually cares about you as a person, or the emotional stress related to the process. If anything, they are predatory and will only increase the emotional stress of the experience. An example of this was that the financial care coordinator called before I had even finished miscarrying to inform me about the costs of a frozen transfer. I found this to be in very poor taste.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
It is a cattle call. Expect to spend 30 min to an hour waiting.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eve Feinberg at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
$10,000 for out of pocket IVF, plus additional costs for all medicines. $5,000 for frozen transfer
Describe Eve Feinberg's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
She will only do a single embryo transfer unless you have very unfavorable characteristics (ie advanced maternal age and poor embryo quality).
What specific things went wrong at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I had a non-viable pregnancy (my HCG was not doubling), but yet the clinic nurse wanted me to continue progesterone injections and additional HCG testing appointments, saying there was a possibility it was a "lab error". The reality is that a non-doubling HCG is indicative of a non-viable pregnancy. This clinic only prolonged the agony of my loss by giving false hope and subjecting me to additional non-essential invasive procedures.
Chicago

For 95% of appointments, I saw different nurses or technicians... [Dr. Feinberg] was kind, and came highly regarded with a six month wait list... For someone so well regarded I would have expected more personal attention. Instead, I only saw her at our first and last (after conceiving) appointments. At the first appointment, I spent 45 minutes discussing my situation with a doctor in training, who then stepped out and took 5 minutes to relay it to Dr. Feinberg in private. When Dr. Feinberg entered the room for the first time, she sort of just jumped to a recommendation, and I felt like I didn't get to explain myself to her, after looking forward to this appointment for 6 months!!
Strengths [at Northwestern] : A responsive staff. Even if you feel like a number, you know you are in experienced practice that perform well over the number of recommended cycles in a year. Weaknesses: You do feel like a number - especially without an assigned nurse. Having to restate your birth date to confirm your identity is tough mentally. You want to feel like people support you during this journey, but it's a lot of advocating for yourself.
Eve was kind, and came highly regarded with a six month wait list. I'm sure the hype and high expectations is part of the reason why, in the end, I am rating her only a 6. For someone so well regarded I would have expected more personal attention. Instead, I only saw her at our first and last (after conceiving) appointments. At the first appointment, I spent 45 minutes discussing my situation with a doctor in training, who then stepped out and took 5 minutes to relay it to Dr. Feinberg in private. When Dr. Feinberg entered the room for the first time, she sort of just jumped to a recommendation, and I felt like I didn't get to explain myself to her, after looking forward to this appointment for 6 months!! Who knows what details the student chose to relay. 20 minutes later, Eve gave me an ultrasound, said my ovaries and lining looked good visually, and that the nurse would book my follow-up diagnostic appointments. From that point onward, all communication - the IUI procedure, the follow-ups, the sharing of results were all done by nurse staff. If I had a question for Eve, a nurse would take the question and relay it to her, then the nurse would get back to me in 24 hours. All in all, I feel that Eve is probably very knowledgeable based on the fact that other doctors only had flattering things to say. However, in my limited time with her (~5 months), I didn't see the reason for the hype. Based on all my research, she recommended treatments that I fully anticipated (3 IUIs without medication, then IVF). I felt I would have had the same/similar outcome with any other fertility doctor at the same practice. Perhaps if I was a more involved, or difficult case, her pedigree and expertise would have been more valuable. I guess should consider myself lucky that we achieved pregnancy without having to get into touch choices or recommendations.
Know that you will be in good hands with Eve, but don't expect that the heavens will open up during your first appointment. She is a busy lady, in extremely high demand and your time with her will be very limited. No one knows how long it will take them to get pregnant. In "quick" cases, Eve will likely not add value. However, you should your journey be a more challenging one, you have one of the best doctors on your side to help get you pregnant.
I only saw Eve 2x during the duration of my time with Northwestern. For 95% of appointments, I saw different nurses or technicians. You would sit in a waiting room and they might call several names at once, and take 3 of you down the hall to your respective treatment rooms. In one appointment, you might see 3-4 different nurses or technicians - one to take your blood, one to do your ultrasound, and yet another to read your results. With every new technician you had to state your birth date as the means of verifying who you are. This made me feel very much like a number.
We came to Eve knowing that my husband had POOR fertility - as evidenced by 4 prior sperm tests (low motility, morphology, count and volume). I had taken a few tests with my OBGYN that showed my AMH and other levels were normal, so my hypothesis was that the issue was with my husband. Eve said she agreed with me, but still suggested I go through the standard tests just to cross off any issues on my end (like blocked tubes). So I had more rounds of blood draws and was scheduled for an HSG, prior to undergoing IUI. I ended up cancelling the HSG because if my tubes were blocked there is very little that can be done about it. Besides, I was fine gong to IVF if IUI didn't work (at which point blocked tubes are a moot point). When it came time for IUI I asked if I could do a 'natural' IUI, since the problem appeared to be on my husband's side and I didn't want to take needless medication. She agreed, so I proceeded without any clomid, letrozole, etc, but she recommended I still take a trigger shot to force ovulation once my egg was 19mm or larger. She said success rates are higher this way because there is less room for human error in tracking ovulation (with strips, or other method). She recommended no more than 3 IUI cycles (after which point your odds don't increase) and that after that I start IVF.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Several nurses, all very young. You get to know a few of them, but aren't assigned to a specific one. They were very responsive over MyChart, if you had a question. It just didn't feel very personal. However, when you are pregnant, a nurse will call you with the results.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths: A responsive staff. Even if you feel like a number, you know you are in experienced practice that perform well over the number of recommended cycles in a year. Weaknesses: You do feel like a number - especially without an assigned nurse. Having to restate your birth date to confirm your identity is tough mentally. You want to feel like people support you during this journey, but it's a lot of advocating for yourself.
Insurance covered the bloodwork and IUI. All in all I think I paid <$800
Chicago

I just felt like I was never seen. Once, that's all. Her words to me were "we will get you pregnant by the end of the year." Yelp, unfortunately, that did not happen. I also don't like when fertility doctors say "you are young, you shouldn't have a problem." My protocol was never changed for the complete 7 cycles. All communication was through the nurses [Northwestern Medicine].
However, my main reason for not returning [to Northwestern] is getting a call after my IUI was finished and I left the office, that was SO semen was ready for my IUI. I was so mad and asked them what they meant. I had already had my IUI. They said if I already had it than everything was fine. I truly hope that they would not mislabel semen, but that really frightened me.
I just felt like I was never seen. Once, that's all. Her words to me were "we will get you pregnant by the end of the year." Yelp, unfortunately, that did not happen. I also don't like when fertility doctors say "you are young, you shouldn't have a problem." My protocol was never changed for the complete 7 cycles. All communication was through the nurses.
Advocate for yourself. If the protocol doesn't work the first or second time, ask her (or the nurses) to switch it up.
The only time you see the doctor is at the initial consult. Other than that, you are one of hundreds of patients that rotate through for cyclework.
Femara 5mg and Ovidrel trigger shot. Femara is supposed to be better than clomid especially with PCOS. Since I don't ovulate on my own, the trigger shot was there to ensure I did - if it did it's job. I unfortunately don't know if it worked because we never checked my levels after doing the trigger. After 6 cycles of timed intercourse, an IUI was ordered.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kelsey)
Kelsey was great. Always responded within hours.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Clinic is a herding facility. Get in, get out, get paid. Most of the workers were very nice. However, my main reason for not returning is getting a call after my IUI was finished and I left the office, that was SO semen was ready for my IUI. I was so mad and asked them what they meant. I had already had my IUI. They said if I already had it than everything was fine. I truly hope that they would not mislabel semen, but that really frightened me.
280 per ultrasound 1200 for IUI
IUI mix up - see previous section
Chicago
I was started on an antagonist protocol and moderately high dosage due to my low ovarian reserve. When I didn't respond well (only one follicle growing on day 5 of stims), Dr. Feinberg cancelled the cycle and encouraged us to try naturally until I got my period. She wasn't willing to convert to IUI or give another day or two to see if other follicles caught up...While Dr. Feinberg definitely knew our case, I didn't feel a ton of empathy from her, even when our cycle was cancelled.
I was upset that no one [at Northestern Medicine] would tell me about a cyst I had on my day 4ultrasound. I also never knew how many follicles were growing, I had to ask for this information specifically...big and beautiful and runs mostly well. There are definite kinks and you'll need to advocate for yourself--sometimes things get lost in shuffle. Sometimes they'd check me in just for ultrasound and forget to notify the lab I had an appointment.
Dr. Feinberg came highly recommended by a close friend and we were thrilled to get the chance to work with her. I found her to be less than creative in her protocols, even when it meant I wouldn't be able to fit a cycle in before the lab closed for cleaning, she wouldn't adjust or change the protocol to allow me a chance. Luckily, I had already decided to move to another physician in the practice, who was willing to try a different approach. We're currently 10 weeks pregnant from that cycle!
She's brilliant and goes by the books. Don't expect a ton of compassion or creativity.
Kelsey was ok, but along the way seemed to confuse my care with another patients. I asked to switch to Rachel, who was more compassionate and clear when I spoke with her.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Northwestern is big and beautiful and runs mostly well. There are definite kinks and you'll need to advocate for yourself--sometimes things get lost in shuffle. Sometimes they'd check me in just for ultrasound and forget to notify the lab I had an appointment.
I was upset that no one would tell me about a cyst I had on my day 4ultrasound. I also never knew how many follicles were growing, I had to ask for this information specifically.

2013 - 2015, Unsuccessful
She was very nice to talk to - however, I hardly ever talked to her. Everything is done through the clinic staff and you feel very disconnected from your doctor. I think she kind of gave up on me at the end. Also, she had so many patients, I'm not sure she was really giving my case all the attention it deserved...when speaking with Dr. Feinberg, she was very compassionate and friendly...I was never given much information about the specifics of my infertility. They also told me "its gonna happen for you" and "you'll get pregnant" when I never did through the clinic. Not sure why they would give false hope like that.
The clinic [FCI - Chicago] seems very state of the art and up to date on the latest and greatest medical practices. However, it is big. And kind of easy to get lost in the shuffle. You have to keep on top of every variable in your care...[nurse] Nancy was a lovely person. Very nice and compassionate. However, I think she tended to be unorganized....There were problems with my insurance billing and I don't think FCI was very on top of it...I paid probably 15 to 25 K in total for my treatments.
How was your experience with Eve Feinberg at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eve Feinberg at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Be your own advocate!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eve Feinberg at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
when speaking with Dr. Feinberg, she was very compassionate and friendly.
Describe the protocols Eve Feinberg used in your cycles at Fertility Centers of Illinois and their degree of success.
We did medicated timed cycles. IUIs and then one failed IVF. The IVF cycle was a disaster, very few eggs retrieved. There were problems with my insurance billing and I don't think FCI was very on top of it. They waited until the last minute to submit and when there were issues, it delayed the start of meds and eventually I think caused my IVF failure.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Nancy McEntee)
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
The clinic seems very state of the art and up to date on the latest and greatest medical practices. However, it is big. And kind of easy to get lost in the shuffle. You have to keep on top of every variable in your care.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eve Feinberg at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
I think I paid probably 15 to 25 K in total for my treatments.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
I was never given much information about the specifics of my infertility. They also told me "its gonna happen for you" and "you'll get pregnant" when I never did through the clinic. Not sure why they would give false hope like that. Also, my insurance coverage was limited and I think they completely wasted one whole cycle because of problems getting my insurance cleared.
Fertility Centers of Illinois
Chicago/River North
2015, Unsuccessful
There was no willingness to work with me, I was told that my only option was egg donor ivf, she [Dr. Feinberg] would not even try any other route first to see if I could respond to it. They were only concerned with the highest change of conceiving (which I appreciate) but I would have liked to try other avenues first. I do not want to use donor eggs...Dr. Feinberg was a good doctor, I only saw her for a few months, as I did not agree with the only treatment plan she proposed for me.
Very organized, but seemed to run behind a lot (normal, I know), however, I feel like FCI in general is only concerned with their success rates, if something will hurt their rating they won't try it...Insurance would only cover diagnostic testing, which was another reason why I did not want to move forward with donor egg ivf (quoted approx. $25,000)...[nurse] She always responded right away when I would email/call with questions...I wanted to try other things first, but they did not have a good % outcome, so the would not do them.
How was your experience with Eve Feinberg at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Dr. Feinberg was a good doctor, I only saw her for a few months, as I did not agree with the only treatment plan she proposed for me. At times I did not really understand what she was talking about, was far too emotional to really comprehend (my own fault)
Be your own advocate, push for what you want, and if they can not give you that, then find someone who will.
There was no willingness to work with me, I was told that my only option was egg donor ivf, she would not even try any other route first to see if I could respond to it. They were only concerned with the highest change of conceiving (which I appreciate) but I would have liked to try other avenues first. I do not want to use donor eggs.
After running a few tests, she would only consider doing donor egg ivf, even though I told her I did not want to do that. I wanted to try other things first, but they did not have a good % outcome, so the would not do them.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: yes, do not remember her name)
She always responded right away when I would email/call with questions.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Fertility Centers of Illinois