Medical SchoolMount Sinai
ResidencyHarvard
FellowshipCornell
499 Illinois Street
San Francisco, CA 94158
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Evelyn Mok-Lin to a friend?
Neutral: 61%Don't recommend: 39%6.1
6.8

2.7

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend UCSF to a friend?
2014 - 2018
6 IUI, 7 IVF, 7 Embryo Freezing
She [Dr. Evelyn Mok-Lin] is pretty dead-pan and blunt when explaining the process and expectations...I have preferred other doctors in this practice that are more warm and compassionate. I was also disappointed that she didn’t try to fine-tune anything about my cycles. We did exactly the same thing 5 cycles and she didn’t want to change anything. I switched to a different doctor at UCSF for this current cycle and she is much more communicative and has tweaked my medications several times. My new doctor has also called me personally when she’s changing something or to see how I was feeling after my retrieval.
2014 - 2018
6 IUI, 7 IVF, 7 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF?
She is pretty dead-pan and blunt when explaining the process and expectations. This may be a great style for some patients, but I have preferred other doctors in this practice that are more warm and compassionate. I was also disappointed that she didn’t try to fine-tune anything about my cycles. We did exactly the same thing 5 cycles and she didn’t want to change anything. I switched to a different doctor at UCSF for this current cycle and she is much more communicative and has tweaked my medications several times. My new doctor has also called me personally when she’s changing something or to see how I was feeling after my retrieval.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF?
Don’t be shy about emailing the nurses for any questions or needs you have. The nurses are your direct line to the doctor and no question is too small to ask
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF?
Dr. Mok-Lin wasn’t very approachable or available for questions or feedback. I was also disappointed that she didn’t really seem to care about the outcome of any of my cycles and didn’t seem very empathetic towards us
Describe the protocols Evelyn Mok-Lin used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
I have severely diminished ovarian reserve and have been doing “mini IVF” using an antagonist (Femara or Clomid) and minimal stimulation once the follicles are bigger. She advised us to freeze as many as possible and transfer 3-4 at a time to maximize chances
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Shem Lewis)
Shem is extremely warm and compassionate and was always quick to respond to emails and phone calls
Describe your experience with UCSF.
The new center is very well organized and physically beautiful with all new state of the art equipment. Despite our poor outcomes and lukewarm experiences with Dr. Mok-Lin, I’m happy we’re getting our treatment here
Describe the costs associated with your care under Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF.
The first 2 cycles I did were in 2014 and they cost around 17-19k in clouding medications. This time around I’ve been doing mini IVF which is only 5-7k each cycle
Describe Evelyn Mok-Lin's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
At my age she recommended 3-4 embryos at once with the rationale that only 1/5 or 1/12 may be normal
San Francisco

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF.

Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
We went to see Dr. Mok-Lin in order to assess our options for future care - as a queer couple with medical concerns ... Dr. Mok-Lin was empathetic and made us feel heard, and not like we were wasting her time in thinking things through beforehand. We both had diagnostic testing to clarify what our fertility health and risks were at that age, and were counseled on what the simplest preferable treatments would be. She was very friendly, answered all of our many questions and provided answers to questions we hadn’t yet thought of, and made us feel like we would be fully informed of our options when we decided to move forward with treatment.
European, East Asian
Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF?
We went to see Dr. Mok-Lin in order to assess our options for future care - as a queer couple with medical concerns, we knew our path towards parenthood would be much much more complicated than most, and though we weren’t quite ready to move forward at the time, we felt the need to get some questions answered. Dr. Mok-Lin was empathetic and made us feel heard, and not like we were wasting her time in thinking things through beforehand. We both had diagnostic testing to clarify what our fertility health and risks were at that age, and were counseled on what the simplest preferable treatments would be. We’re starting treatment soon, and feel much more secure in our choices as a result of those appointments.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
They were very informed and seemed to be on top of all of the latest research, were willing to field all kinds of questions, and prepped us with informational packets. They were also very well located, and we were able to quickly go over to the main UCSF building for bloodwork. The facility is very new and modern.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF.
Consultation and diagnostic work-up only (TVU, FSH/AMH/etc, genetic testing) - all covered by insurance, other than a $20 copay.
She seemed to have a strong preference towards eSET for patients under 35.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
I think she [Dr. Mok-Lin] is great at what she does and perhaps my reflection is in general as how UCSF runs their fertility clinic. I feel as a woman going through this you want a bit more contact with your assigned doctor...there were a few times I expected a call (after failed transfer) and nothing came and we had to reach out - once we were told she was busy and also had jury duty and the next time she could talk to us on the phone was about 8-14 days away (as relayed by secretary)...
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF?
I think she is great at what she does and perhaps my reflection is in general as how UCSF runs their fertility clinic. I feel as a woman going through this you want a bit more contact with your assigned doctor
I feel this advice is based on whatever Dr they go see. Do your research ahead of time to come as prepared as possible and ask about all options eg using growth hormone, uterine scratching etc and don't be afraid to reach out - they don't reach out to you you have to be an advocate and in charge of this process 100%
Describe your experience with UCSF.
its a big unit hence not seeing your assigned DR or in fact the same Dr at any time
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at UCSF.
again you would usually get a different doctor or a NP. i was lucky enough this last cycle to get the same NP for almost every ultrasound
Describe the costs associated with your care under Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF.
the retrieval with ICSI and assisted hatching was just over $12,000 that does not include the drugs

3 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Dr. Mok-Lin is genuine and personable. I've always felt that she's trustworthy and truly wanted to help me achieve my desired outcome. I felt as if she gave me some good advice, based on her knowledge and understanding of my specific situation. She felt like a friend, not just a doctor, in those times....Dr. Mok-Lin is empathetic and seems to really understand what I was hoping to get out of my IVF freeze all cycles and why. I never felt as if I was a number or that she wasn't very familiar with my case.
3 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF?
Dr. Mok-Lin is genuine and personable. I've always felt that she's trustworthy and truly wanted to help me achieve my desired outcome. I felt as if she gave me some good advice, based on her knowledge and understanding of my specific situation. She felt like a friend, not just a doctor, in those times. I didn't always have direct access to her and had communicated with her through a nurse. Once I was able to connect with her via email directly, my experience vastly improved. She promptly responded to my questions and concerns.
Don't be afraid to open up to Dr. Mok-Lin about your unique/specific situation to help her recommend, prescribe and schedule the most appropriate IVF protocol for you.
I felt treated like a human. Dr. Mok-Lin is empathetic and seems to really understand what I was hoping to get out of my IVF freeze all cycles and why. I never felt as if I was a number or that she wasn't very familiar with my case.
Evelyn Mok-Lin

She [Dr. Evelyn Mok-Lin] is very intelligent and up to date on protocols and medical literature. I felt confident in her decision-making...Different people saw me each time and were not familiar with my situation or complications...Try to contact Dr. Mok-Lin directly if something is confusing...You will see different people most visits. Expect people to not know details of your medical record or recent events. There is a lot of disorganization with administration and billing that add unnecessary stress to the process. Poor communication.
How was your experience with Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF?
She is very intelligent and up to date on protocols and medical literature. I felt confident in her decision-making. Care team was disorganized and sometimes slow to respond, did not process requests, and mis communicated about my plan and communication.
Be proactive. Try to contact Dr. Mok-Lin directly if something is confusing.