Medical SchoolMount Sinai
ResidencyHarvard
FellowshipCornell
499 Illinois Street
San Francisco, CA 94158
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Evelyn Mok-Lin to a friend?

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend UCSF to a friend?
2015 - 2020
Due to the anatomy of my uterus and my age, Dr. Mok-Lin will only do a single embryo transfer...There is no option for me to risk having multiples...is a great listener. She has never made me feel she’s in a rush trying to get to the next patient. Additionally, she takes her time to explain the process and her suggestions. My husband is super analytical and always has many more questions for her and she always happily answers every single one. I love my relationship with her.
Maria [nurse at UCSF] is amazing!! I email her with questions all the time. She is very compassionate and friendly and she will spend all the time needed on the phone explaining the next steps and she will also email all the details...Very nice clinic and friendly staff with easy parking. The check in process is easy and they have several people to do it so you hardly ever wait in line. However, certain women at the check in counter take so long reviewing all the details to make sure they have your insurance, your correct address etc etc. I get it if it is the first time there, but for me, especially during treatment you go in multiple times a week and if I get this person to check me in, she’ll go through it all over again even when I say I was there a day ago, it is annoying.
2015 - 2020
European, Latino
How was your experience with Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF?
I have been seeing Dr. Mok-Lin for several reasons since 2015. If it wasn’t for her I wouldn’t have had my boy, period. He is a toddler now and I will be forever grateful to her and her team. Dr. Mok-Lin performed surgery on me to remove a septate uterus. It was a long and complicated process but she finally fixed it all and I became pregnant naturally. Now, due to unexplained infertility I completed 4 IUI’s and I got pregnant twice with a miscarriage and a cervical ectopic pregnancy. With this last one, which I found out during a routine ultrasound, I had to go through the embryo removal procedure that same moment. I was alone and terrified and my husband on a work trip. When Dr. Mok-Lin showed up in the room I was relieved and knew she would take care of me and everything would be fine. And it was! Now, I am in the process of IVF with FET. Dr. Mok-Lin has said she plans to do the transfer and I’m very excited for that. Because of the time she’s spent with me explaining the process I know what to expect but when I have questions, I send her an email and she responds clearly. Dr. Evelyn Mok-Lin is smart and knowledgeable, she listens and tries to please but only if she knows it is the best option for her patient. I have 100% confidence in her.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF?
That they may not always see her during appointments but she will be behind every decision concerning the patient.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF?
Dr. Mok-Lin is a great listener. She has never made me feel she’s in a rush trying to get to the next patient. Additionally, she takes her time to explain the process and her suggestions. My husband is super analytical and always has many more questions for her and she always happily answers every single one. I love my relationship with her.
Describe the protocols Evelyn Mok-Lin used in your cycles at UCSF and their degree of success.
On the first round of IUI I took 100mg of clomid. I produced too many eggs so the procedure had to be cancelled. The other 4 rounds, 50mg of clomid and got pregnant twice but miscarried and had an cervical ectopic pregnancy. For egg retrieval, I only did it once using Cetrotide, Gonal F and Lupron. I can’t remember dosage :/
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Maria)
Maria is amazing!! I email her with questions all the time. She is very compassionate and friendly and she will spend all the time needed on the phone explaining the next steps and she will also email all the details. I absolutely love Maria.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Describe Evelyn Mok-Lin's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCSF.
Due to the anatomy of my uterus and my age, Dr. Mok-Lin will only do a single embryo transfer and I am okay with that. There is no option for me to risk having multiples.
San Francisco

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF.

2015 - 2019
4 IVF, Egg Freezing, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
I would always ask Dr. Mok-Lin a million questions. And she would always answer them with a lot of insight and expertise. Every time she would explain to me how things would go or her feelings on something, she was always spot on. There were never any surprises, and I always felt very prepared mentally for what was to come...Her explanation for why they did multiple with my own eggs and only one with the donor made sense. And both times she was right!
I LOVE SHEM [nurse at UCSF]. She walked me through so many disappointing cycles and always always was so sweet and supportive. I couldn't have done that many cycles without her...At first I felt it was hard to see different doctor each time I would come in. It felt a little like moving through an assembly line. But each doctor was so nice and attentive, that I quickly became use to it. Also, I understand why they do that. With as often as you need to go in, it is nearly impossible to see the same doctor each time.
2015 - 2019
4 IVF, Egg Freezing, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF?
Dr. Mok-Lin has been my doctor for years, and I think that in itself says something. She always gave me the detailed facts and her advice when I would ask for her opinion. I am a detailed oriented person, and she would always help me understand the processes as they were happening. I couldn't be happier with her as a doctor and will hopefully return soon to see her again!
A close friend of mine did become a patient of hers and I didn't feel I needed to give her any advise.
Dr. Mok-Lin was always very aware and sensitive to my situation, but also was very honest with me, which I asked for and very much appreciate. She was always very professional, and very responsive to any questions I had. When there was bad news she made sure to call me herself, which I have always appreciated.
I LOVE SHEM. She walked me through so many disappointing cycles and always always was so sweet and supportive. I couldn't have done that many cycles without her.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF.
I went through so many cycles and different treatments over the course of 4-5 years, I honestly couldn't start to remember

2014 - 2018
6 IUI, 7 IVF, 7 Embryo Freezing
She [Dr. Evelyn Mok-Lin] is pretty dead-pan and blunt when explaining the process and expectations...I have preferred other doctors in this practice that are more warm and compassionate. I was also disappointed that she didn’t try to fine-tune anything about my cycles. We did exactly the same thing 5 cycles and she didn’t want to change anything. I switched to a different doctor at UCSF for this current cycle and she is much more communicative and has tweaked my medications several times. My new doctor has also called me personally when she’s changing something or to see how I was feeling after my retrieval.
The new center [at UCSF] is very well organized and physically beautiful with all new state of the art equipment. Despite our poor outcomes and lukewarm experiences with Dr. Mok-Lin, I’m happy we’re getting our treatment here...Shem [nurse] is extremely warm and compassionate and was always quick to respond to emails and phone calls...There were 2 cycles where there was a misunderstanding about which medications I should take. I think both were called in but they intended for me to take only one
2014 - 2018
6 IUI, 7 IVF, 7 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF?
She is pretty dead-pan and blunt when explaining the process and expectations. This may be a great style for some patients, but I have preferred other doctors in this practice that are more warm and compassionate. I was also disappointed that she didn’t try to fine-tune anything about my cycles. We did exactly the same thing 5 cycles and she didn’t want to change anything. I switched to a different doctor at UCSF for this current cycle and she is much more communicative and has tweaked my medications several times. My new doctor has also called me personally when she’s changing something or to see how I was feeling after my retrieval.
Don’t be shy about emailing the nurses for any questions or needs you have. The nurses are your direct line to the doctor and no question is too small to ask
Dr. Mok-Lin wasn’t very approachable or available for questions or feedback. I was also disappointed that she didn’t really seem to care about the outcome of any of my cycles and didn’t seem very empathetic towards us
I have severely diminished ovarian reserve and have been doing “mini IVF” using an antagonist (Femara or Clomid) and minimal stimulation once the follicles are bigger. She advised us to freeze as many as possible and transfer 3-4 at a time to maximize chances
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Shem Lewis)
Shem is extremely warm and compassionate and was always quick to respond to emails and phone calls
Describe your experience with UCSF.
The new center is very well organized and physically beautiful with all new state of the art equipment. Despite our poor outcomes and lukewarm experiences with Dr. Mok-Lin, I’m happy we’re getting our treatment here
Describe the costs associated with your care under Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF.
The first 2 cycles I did were in 2014 and they cost around 17-19k in clouding medications. This time around I’ve been doing mini IVF which is only 5-7k each cycle
At my age she recommended 3-4 embryos at once with the rationale that only 1/5 or 1/12 may be normal

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
I think she [Dr. Mok-Lin] is great at what she does and perhaps my reflection is in general as how UCSF runs their fertility clinic. I feel as a woman going through this you want a bit more contact with your assigned doctor...there were a few times I expected a call (after failed transfer) and nothing came and we had to reach out - once we were told she was busy and also had jury duty and the next time she could talk to us on the phone was about 8-14 days away (as relayed by secretary)...
...again you would usually get a different doctor or a NP [at UCSF]. i was lucky enough this last cycle to get the same NP for almost every ultrasound...its a big unit hence not seeing your assigned DR or in fact the same Dr at any time...the retrieval with ICSI and assisted hatching was just over $12,000 that does not include the drugs...
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF?
I think she is great at what she does and perhaps my reflection is in general as how UCSF runs their fertility clinic. I feel as a woman going through this you want a bit more contact with your assigned doctor
I feel this advice is based on whatever Dr they go see. Do your research ahead of time to come as prepared as possible and ask about all options eg using growth hormone, uterine scratching etc and don't be afraid to reach out - they don't reach out to you you have to be an advocate and in charge of this process 100%
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at UCSF.
again you would usually get a different doctor or a NP. i was lucky enough this last cycle to get the same NP for almost every ultrasound
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UCSF.
our nurse forgot to give us the consents to sign she emailed the wrong ones to me so we picked up the correct ones at our next ultrasound. upon reading them there was new information and signings we weren't familiar with nor had it been brought up to us before hand.I sent an email about it and our Dr did call me the following day to discuss it but by that time we had gone in for the retrieval and talked to the dr face to face doing it

2020
She [Dr. Evelyn Mok-Lin] was very personable and answered all of our questions thoroughly and respectfully while providing the facts and not sugar coating anything...she is the third fertility physician I have seen and by far the best. She fully explained all of my treatment options and answered all of our questions in ways we could understand. I would highly recommend her to anyone with DOR or having issues getting pregnant.
All of the nursing staff at UCSF have been wonderful. Caring, informative and very quick to respond to any questions or concerns I’ve had...For clomid out of pocket I paid $90 and I was told IUI would be approx $1500 (my insurance does not cover IUI) but IVF would be a 50% discount if I decide to go that route, based on my insurance...I haven’t actually been inside the clinic due to Covid-19 so I’ve conducted all appointments via phone, email or Zoom which has been wonderful. Very fast response times, multiple people have returned calls and emails.
2020
How was your experience with Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF?
I have only started seeing Dr. Mok-Lin but she is the third fertility physician I have seen and by far the best. She fully explained all of my treatment options and answered all of our questions in ways we could understand. I would highly recommend her to anyone with DOR or having issues getting pregnant.
You’re in great hands.
She was very personable and answered all of our questions thoroughly and respectfully while providing the facts and not sugar coating anything.
I am in the early stages of starting clomid/timed intercourse and potentially IUI if the first option doesn’t work. She is very open to trying different treatments to fit my individual health issues and helpful in every way.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF.

Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
We went to see Dr. Mok-Lin in order to assess our options for future care - as a queer couple with medical concerns ... Dr. Mok-Lin was empathetic and made us feel heard, and not like we were wasting her time in thinking things through beforehand. We both had diagnostic testing to clarify what our fertility health and risks were at that age, and were counseled on what the simplest preferable treatments would be. She was very friendly, answered all of our many questions and provided answers to questions we hadn’t yet thought of, and made us feel like we would be fully informed of our options when we decided to move forward with treatment.
They [UCSF] were very informed and seemed to be on top of all of the latest research, were willing to field all kinds of questions, and prepped us with informational packets. They were also very well located, and we were able to quickly go over to the main UCSF building for bloodwork. The facility is very new and modern. ... She [Dr. Mok-Lin] seemed to have a strong preference towards eSET for patients under 35.
European, East Asian
Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF?
We went to see Dr. Mok-Lin in order to assess our options for future care - as a queer couple with medical concerns, we knew our path towards parenthood would be much much more complicated than most, and though we weren’t quite ready to move forward at the time, we felt the need to get some questions answered. Dr. Mok-Lin was empathetic and made us feel heard, and not like we were wasting her time in thinking things through beforehand. We both had diagnostic testing to clarify what our fertility health and risks were at that age, and were counseled on what the simplest preferable treatments would be. We’re starting treatment soon, and feel much more secure in our choices as a result of those appointments.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
They were very informed and seemed to be on top of all of the latest research, were willing to field all kinds of questions, and prepped us with informational packets. They were also very well located, and we were able to quickly go over to the main UCSF building for bloodwork. The facility is very new and modern.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF.
Consultation and diagnostic work-up only (TVU, FSH/AMH/etc, genetic testing) - all covered by insurance, other than a $20 copay.
She seemed to have a strong preference towards eSET for patients under 35.

2016 - 2020
2 IUI, 4 IVF, Donor Eggs
She [Dr. Evelyn Mok-Lin] listened to all of our concerns and address them with us at that time. She also remembered us early on in our treatment, after a long time of not seeing her, she knew who we were when we saw her outside of the office. That really stuck with us and gave us a good feeling about our care...She was amazing and a provider that I felt at ease with and trusted completely. She is dedicated and cares about her patients. All of our questions were always answered and even when I went in feeling nervous, she always made me feel at ease.
The costs were very fair. We did not have a problem with the costs associated with our care [at UCSF]...All of the staff at UCSF go above and beyond. We never had a complaint with any of them. You are not a number there, you are an individual person. There are so many people from the front desk to the physicians that we think of fondly and are thankful for being a part of our journey...Maria [nurse] was always very attentive and organized when sending orders and making sure I had the medications that I needed
2016 - 2020
2 IUI, 4 IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF?
Trust her and be open with all of your concerns/questions.
She listened to all of our concerns and address them with us at that time. She also remembered us early on in our treatment, after a long time of not seeing her, she knew who we were when we saw her outside of the office. That really stuck with us and gave us a good feeling about our care at UCSF and with Dr Mok-Lin.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Maria)
Maria was always very attentive and organized when sending orders and making sure I had the medications that I needed
Describe the costs associated with your care under Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF.
The costs were very fair. We did not have a problem with the costs associated with our care.
I appreciate her care when choosing to implant one or more than one embryo depending on the quality.

2017 - 2019
Great research, top doctors, top nursing and care team which is very attentive. I've been nothing but satisfied with our experience [at UCSF] and every encounter we've had over the last two years of our IVF journey... Dr. Mok-lin is caring, personable and a very clear communicator and knowledgeable expert. She worked closely with us to create a fertility plan based on my past history with cervical cancer and the fact that my husband and I are both carriers of SMA.
2017 - 2019
How was your experience with Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF?
Dr. Mok-lin is caring, personable and a very clear communicator and knowledgeable expert. She worked closely with us to create a fertility plan based on my past history with cervical cancer and the fact that my husband and I are both carriers of SMA. She was very mindful of the special circumstances given my past history and worked with us to ensure the most effective and painless transfer procedures possible. She ensured that she personally performed them and handled them expertly! Our last transfer has resulted in pregnancy! :)
Dr. Mok-lin is very personable and caring. My FET were complicated because I've had a trachelectomy, and she made sure to personally conduct the transfers, which made a big difference. She's very skilled and to ensure an effective, pain free transfer, set up a practice appointment to ensure that we had a smooth transfer on the day of the actual transfer.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
Great research, top doctors, top nursing and care team which is very attentive. I've been nothing but satisfied with our experience and every encounter we've had over the last two years of our IVF journey
IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Mok-Lin seemed knowledgeable but didn't invest much time with follow up and treatment. When we let her know that i went through a cancer scare and that our oncologist did not offer to save my egg prior to oophorectomy, she didn't offer compassion. All she offered was explanation as to what should have been done during my oncology appointments that had already passed...if you would like someone with great bedside manner and compassion as well, this perhaps is not the provider for you...Her steps were for us to meet with the psychologist for psych evaluation due to using donor eggs. She did not offer follow up after that was completed.
The nursing staff [at UCSF] did seem more compassionate in their care [than the doctor]. However they often would not read my medical history before calling me and telling me medical information that did not pertain to my medical history...When we were welcomed into her [Dr. Mok-Lin's] office for consultation. She was not warm with her approach and bedside manner. She gave us annoyed looks when we asked questions. I felt like we were just another couple on her things to do list that she was checking off her to do list for the day...seemed knowledgeable but didn't invest much time with follow up and treatment. When we let her know that i went through a cancer scare and that our oncologist did not offer to save my egg prior to oophorectomy, she didn't offer compassion. All she offered was explanation as to what should have been done during my oncology appointments that had already passed.
IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF?
She is knowledgeable and has expertise, if you would like someone with great bedside manner and compassion as well, this perhaps is not the provider for you.
When we were welcomed into her office for consultation. She was not warm with her approach and bedside manner. She gave us annoyed looks when we asked questions. I felt like we were just another couple on her things to do list that she was checking off her to do list for the day
The nursing staff did seem more compassionate in their care. However they often would not read my medical history before calling me and telling me medical information that did not pertain to my medical history.
No comments, did not get that far into treatment
3 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Dr. Mok-Lin is genuine and personable. I've always felt that she's trustworthy and truly wanted to help me achieve my desired outcome. I felt as if she gave me some good advice, based on her knowledge and understanding of my specific situation. She felt like a friend, not just a doctor, in those times....Dr. Mok-Lin is empathetic and seems to really understand what I was hoping to get out of my IVF freeze all cycles and why. I never felt as if I was a number or that she wasn't very familiar with my case.
I didn't always have direct access to her [Dr. Evelyn Mok-Lin] and had communicated with her through a nurse [at UCSF]. Once I was able to connect with her via email directly, my experience vastly improved. She promptly responded to my questions and concerns....I felt treated like a human.... I never felt as if I was a number or that she wasn't very familiar with my case..... I've always felt that she's trustworthy and truly wanted to help me achieve my desired outcome.
3 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF?
Dr. Mok-Lin is genuine and personable. I've always felt that she's trustworthy and truly wanted to help me achieve my desired outcome. I felt as if she gave me some good advice, based on her knowledge and understanding of my specific situation. She felt like a friend, not just a doctor, in those times. I didn't always have direct access to her and had communicated with her through a nurse. Once I was able to connect with her via email directly, my experience vastly improved. She promptly responded to my questions and concerns.
Don't be afraid to open up to Dr. Mok-Lin about your unique/specific situation to help her recommend, prescribe and schedule the most appropriate IVF protocol for you.
I felt treated like a human. Dr. Mok-Lin is empathetic and seems to really understand what I was hoping to get out of my IVF freeze all cycles and why. I never felt as if I was a number or that she wasn't very familiar with my case.
Evelyn Mok-Lin
She [Dr. Evelyn Mok-Lin] is very intelligent and up to date on protocols and medical literature. I felt confident in her decision-making...Different people saw me each time and were not familiar with my situation or complications...Try to contact Dr. Mok-Lin directly if something is confusing...You will see different people most visits. Expect people to not know details of your medical record or recent events. There is a lot of disorganization with administration and billing that add unnecessary stress to the process. Poor communication.
You will see different people most visits [at UCSF]. Expect people to not know details of your medical record or recent events. There is a lot of disorganization with administration and billing that add unnecessary stress to the process. Poor communication.... [there were] Miscommunications, delays in prescriptions and insurance authorization led to cancellation of a cycle.
How was your experience with Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF?
She is very intelligent and up to date on protocols and medical literature. I felt confident in her decision-making. Care team was disorganized and sometimes slow to respond, did not process requests, and mis communicated about my plan and communication.
Be proactive. Try to contact Dr. Mok-Lin directly if something is confusing.

5 IUI, 1 Embryo Freezing, IVF
Dr. Mok-Lin was clear with us about what was happening at each stage of care - the risks, the odds - and listened to our questions and concerns. We transferred care to her at UCSF after a negative experience with a practitioner at another clinic. She was professional but empathetic to the additional level of stress we were experiencing...She will be compassionate but professional...We brought 4 frozen embryos with us when we began working with Dr. Mok-Lin. During the first cycle to prepare for the embryo transfer, I ovulated and we also found a uterine fibroid. She recommended we cancel the cycle, use lupron for a brief period of time, and then start again. The second cycle worked as planned and the embryo transfer was successful.
The nursing staff [at UCSF] were pleasant and responsive. Sometimes their responses seemed vague when I called in with questions. I understand that maybe they can only speak to data...It seemed that they were changing the protocol at the time, and I received old info and new info...They were professional in helping us transfer care (and our embryos) from another clinic that was not cooperative. The finance department seemed understaffed, but everyone I interacted with at the clinic was pleasant and helpful. Because of the size of the clinic and the number of patients they work with, I was concerned about feeling like I was going through a revolving door. That's something you need to prepare yourself for.
5 IUI, 1 Embryo Freezing, IVF
How was your experience with Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF?
She will be compassionate but professional.
I felt like a human with this doctor but the UCSF program is set up for scale, so it's hard not to feel like a number at times.
The nursing staff were pleasant and responsive. Sometimes their responses seemed vague when I called in with questions. I understand that maybe they can only speak to data.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UCSF.
When you're anxious that every single thing you do may compromise the pregnancy, it's not good to get conflicting information about how to use progesterone injections. It seemed that they were changing the protocol at the time, and I received old info and new info.
San Francisco

[Dr. Mok-Lin] explained things in a way that was clear and direct, but she was also warm and kind. We felt very glad that she was our doctor, in general. But a moment that really struck us was during the IVF orientation. She unapologetically corrected the embryologist and other patients who asked about finding out the gender of the embryo, when they were actually wanting to know the sex. We loved that she did that without hesitation and felt it was a simple thing, but made a huge difference for us as an queer family. It’s also just accurate!
She [nurse at UCSF] was very helpful and accessible, and always positive. The team was so kind, as a whole...From the doctor, nurse, phlebotomists, receptionists, they are an incredible team of people who get to help people make families and it shows that they value their role in that work. We only had communication issues with one person, Eugenia. It was difficult to communicate clearly with her via email and at times it was very frustrating. However, we only interacted with her in the early stages of our treatment, and once we no longer had to everything else was great!
European, Latino, Black or African-American, Native American
How was your experience with Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF?
I honestly can’t think of anything I’d have wanted in a doctor that Dr. Mok-Lin didn’t do. She was professional and compassionate. She communicated clearly and in a way that we could understand. We had such a wonderful experience with her and her team that we have already recommended her to anyone we know who is pursuing starting a family. Dr. MoK-Lin was respectful, kind, courteous, and we fully trusted her judgement during the entire course of treatment. We are so glad to have gone through this process under her care.
Be open about challenges you may be nervous about. Dr. Mok-Lin was great at setting our minds at ease when we were worried about anything, but also offered solutions and took our opinions into account, so don’t be afraid to voice concerns.
Dr. Mom-Lin explained things in a way that was clear and direct, but she was also warm and kind. We felt very glad that she was our doctor, in general. But a moment that really struck us was during the IVF orientation. She unapologetically corrected the embryologist and other patients who asked about finding out the gender of the embryo, when they were actually wanting to know the sex. We loved that she did that without hesitation and felt it was a simple thing, but made a huge difference for us as an queer family. It’s also just accurate!
Dr. Mok-Lin did a fresh cycle. She shortened my treatment for egg retrieval because I responded very positively to the injections. I ended up with OHSS, but it resolved after about a week. I can’t remember too many specifics other than that she allowed me to not do the steroids due to my risk for mania.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCSF. (Assigned nurse: Shem Lewis)
Shem was in red empathetic. She was very helpful and accessible, and always positive. The team was so kind, as a whole. It felt like everyone loved their jobs and wanted to support us as much as possible.
Describe your experience with UCSF.
They are organized and have excellent systems in place that keep you informed throughout the treatment cycle. The staff are all incredibly kind, positive, knowledgeable, and helpful. We loved that we chose UCSF. From the doctor, nurse, phlebotomists, receptionists, they are an incredible team of people who get to help people make families and it shows that they value their role in that work. We only had communication issues with one person, Eugenia. It was difficult to communicate clearly with her via email and at times it was very frustrating. However, we only interacted with her in the early stages of our treatment, and once we no longer had to everything else was great!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Evelyn Mok-Lin at UCSF.
We paid for a test out of pocket, but financed the treatments totaling a little over $13,000.00. We also paid for the medications out of pocket and those were about $250, if I remember correctly. I also had acupuncture regularly and we purchased donor sperm and had it shipped, which added about $3,500 to our total costs.
I’m very glad we transferred just one embryo. She explained that there was a high likelihood that the embryo would take on the first cycle because we had such positive result with retrieval and fertilization and that the best bet for a singleton was transferring just one blastocyst.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UCSF.
The only person we had issues with both of the before mentioned topics was Eugenia. I had emailed some paperwork over, and I can’t quite remember the details, but she said they didn’t have them. I think it was related to lab results. The only other thing was that we asked Shem if Dr. Mok-Lin wanted us to do ICSI, because the financing company (Arc) asked us. We didn’t know what ICSI was and why, so when Shem emailed back and said Dr. Mok-Lin recommended it, we told them yes. However, since we had purchased donor sperm, it had been tested and when we met again with Dr. Mok-Lin, she said there must have been a misunderstanding because ICSI is done when there are issues with sperm, which there shouldn’t have been because the sperm banks screen for those issues. In the end, we had to pay $200 to the financing company to “cancel” the ICSI procedure financing aspect of things because we were told the wrong information.