6.1

Frank Chang works at

9601 Blackwell Road, 4th and 5th floors
Rockville, MD 20850
301.340.1188

[Dr. Chang's] very knowledgeable but can seem to be in a rush at times. We only saw him once during our IVF cycle and it was based on our request after having a significant decrease in anticipated embryos. We believe our stim medication was not properly adjusted and monitored, which impacted the amount of mature eggs to be fertilized because we triggered early due to my estrogen level being so high. He knew it was high but didn’t see a need to decrease it significantly until the end. He called us though for our embryo updates because the counts were so low. Out of 27 eggs, 15 mature, 9 fertilized, 1 viable embryo.
We were scheduled for a fresh cycle [at Shady Grove Fertility - Rockville] and due to lack of modification and up front monitoring, we were required to freeze all and pay additional money for a frozen transfer. During monitoring appointments, we were always told “looks good”, “you might trigger or start another injection early”, “ no issues” but changing our plan and having significantly higher hormone levels could have been better avoided.
How was your experience with Frank Chang at Shady Grove Fertility?
He’s very knowledgeable but can seem to be in a rush at times. We only saw him once during our IVF cycle and it was based on our request after having a significant decrease in anticipated embryos. We believe our stim medication was not properly adjusted and monitored, which impacted the amount of mature eggs to be fertilized because we triggered early due to my estrogen level being so high. He knew it was high but didn’t see a need to decrease it significantly until the end. He called us though for our embryo updates because the counts were so low. Out of 27 eggs, 15 mature, 9 fertilized, 1 viable embryo.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Frank Chang at Shady Grove Fertility?
Be up front with any and all questions you have and stand firm with having him explain. He will answer, just may appear to always be in a hurry.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Frank Chang at Shady Grove Fertility?
I had to ask more questions and do more research on my own about a lot of pieces of the Ivf process. And when asking a question, my nurse made me and my husband feel like a burden or a nuisance for asking. We had to follow up a lot to get any insurance items submitted properly and timely, received and required correction of deposit amounts, had to call in and follow up on our own medicine cause the nurse was so delayed and we would’ve missed our protocol.
Describe the protocols Frank Chang used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Started with 112.5 Menopur and 75 gonal-f 9 days. Estrogen levels were over double the entire time - gonal-f was reduced to 75 on day 5 and again to 37.5 on day 7. Started Cetrotide AM on day 7. Estrogen levels were concerning so we had almost daily bloodwork and ultrasound appointments but they didn’t modify until halfway and again at the end. We were planned to use a dual trigger of HCG and Leuprolide but with the risk of OHSS with my estrogen, Dr. Change switched to Lupron only. We were scheduled for a fresh cycle and due to lack of modification and up front monitoring, we were required to freeze all and pay additional money for a frozen transfer. During monitoring appointments, we were always told “looks good”, “you might trigger or start another injection early”, “ no issues” but changing our plan and having significantly higher hormone levels could have been better avoided.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Dew)
Requires follow up and wasn’t forth coming with information without us asking numerous questions. Simple questions confirming whether or not to continue other injections when starting Cetrotide. When asking questions, I dreaded calling because I felt like a bother to be invested in my cycle and results.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
They have a quick process to get patients in and out. Following up with your financial counselor is a MUST because we’ve received incorrect and delayed information as well as other patients we know at SGF.
Monitoring is in the morning for nurses to call in the PM with results. You’d wait in the main waiting room, get called for blood draw, wait in another area for an ultrasound room to open. Very consistent and smooth process.
Describe Frank Chang's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
Mentioned in other notes. Financial team errors and issues. Conflicting info from doctor, nurse and financial team. Required extra patient follow up on getting prior authorizations and medications ordered in time before start of cycle or procedures, and confirming or correcting errors after we spoke with insurance on our own.
Rockville

Dr. Chang was very helpful although he like all the doctors are very busy. He did call me directly several times to explain things (eg when I was having a likely chemical pregnancy) and he helped to give the basic facts of the matter. I appreciated him laying out the options when things weren’t looking good and offering new tests to find out more info...He was also good re: being realistic and managing expectations.
SGF is indeed run like a very efficient machine. It’s not necessarily a great impression at first if you’re looking for warm and personalized attention, but I had pretty big change of heart after my 3rd miscarriage (from a natural pregnancy) and I moved from being lukewarm on IVF treatment to aggressively pursuing it. I did appreciate their efficiency... about $2,500 for PGS testing, and $1400 for acupuncture treatments, approximately $700 for an ERA test (endometrial receptivity biopsy)
How was your experience with Frank Chang at Shady Grove Fertility?
Was appreciative of his calling me directly a few times to discuss treatment options at length. He was also good re: being realistic and managing expectations. On my third FET and last he was really hoping for the best but it turned out not to be and we are not in a whole new IVF cycle, which will be my last.
I was on Menopur 75 and Gonal F 225 for about 9 days which was a surprisingly short protocol. Triggered on day 10 and retrieval on day 11. I used the HCG trigger instead of the Lupron and there was a specific reason why Dr Chang decided on that but I can’t recall. They retrieved 19 eggs. 10 ended up fertilizing normally but only 3 tested noramally (PGS) without chromosomal abnormalities. All 3 FETa failed. One of the three was a chemical pregnancy.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Frank Chang at Shady Grove Fertility.
$22,500 and an additional $3000 for medicines, about $2,500 for PGS testing, and $1400 for acupuncture treatments, approximately $700 for an ERA test (endometrial receptivity biopsy) Everything was out of pocket. My insurance only paid for infertility testing and diagnostics. The year we decided to start IVF, the US Federal government pulled ALL of the insurance carriers that offer IVF treatment off their benefits offerings.
Yes he really thought I had a high chance of success and we didn’t want twins.
2016 - 2017, Unknown Success
Great bedside manner. Kind. Warm. [Dr. Frank Chang] Didn't sugar coat the fact that my husband and I would more than likely have to do IVF multiple times because of our severe infertility issues. My first egg retrieval was done on a weekend that Dr Chang wasn't on call, so his colleague had to perform the procedure. I had a lot of pain after that procedure. My second egg retrieval was performed by Dr. Chang. I had no pain whatsoever afterward. He's so so nice. He's been in the business for many years. If I ever needed to speak with him, all I had to do was contact my nurse. She would notify him and he would call me back.
Dew was the care coordinator [at Shady Grove]. She's fantastic and almost always responded to my emails or calls so so quickly! Kaitlin is my nurse. She is very caring and helpful. Always responds to my emails or calls almost always same day. Goes above and beyond to help!...It's a new office. Its very large. The decor is nice - very modern. There is almost always someone at the front desk so, finding your way around isn't difficult. Strength is that they are very prompt. I've never had to wait very long. Weaknesses - they are very busy, so I couldn't always get in during the times I preferred for monitoring.
How was your experience with Frank Chang at Shady Grove Fertility?
Great bedside manner. Kind. Warm. Didn't sugar coat the fact that my husband and I would more than likely have to do IVF multiple times because of our severe infertility issues. My first egg retrieval was done on a weekend that Dr Chang wasn't on call, so his colleague had to perform the procedure. I had a lot of pain after that procedure. My second egg retrieval was performed by Dr. Chang. I had no pain whatsoever afterward. He's so so nice. He's been in the business for many years. If I ever needed to speak with him, all I had to do was contact my nurse. She would notify him and he would call me back.
Come in to his office with a notebook. Have questions already written down in it. Fill in the answers while in the room with him. I did! He's very patient. You can ask him anything regarding fertility.
He's kind and warm. Excellent bedside manner. Super easy to talk to. If I ever needed to speak directly with him, all I had to do was notify my nurse. She would relay the message and he would call me back - every single time.
Microdose Flare Protocol was used twice on me. Lupron, Gonal-F, and Menopur were used. It was unsuccessful. Going with a different protocol next cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kaitlin)
Dew was the care coordinator . She's fantastic and almost always responded to my emails or calls so so quickly! Kaitlin is my nurse. She is very caring and helpful. Always responds to my emails or calls almost always same day. Goes above and beyond to help!
2 IVF cycles with ICSI - multicycle discount - including medication: $30,000

2013, Successful
Dr. Chang is very kind, not super chatty. I had switched to him from another doctor -- they had actually been partners once upon a time and so they knew each other well. My previous doctor, who was more aggressive in treating RPL that had possible immunological causes, told me outright that Dr. Chang would not be in favor of my doing IVIG. I brought him my labwork from the immunological testing that my other doctor had ordered and he was very honest and said, "I don't know I am looking at." He said that he was willing to let me do blood thinning injections, and I had thought that maybe that would be enough, and since I was not super excited about doing IVIG, I was happy enough to try my first round of IVF, after 13 rounds of IUI with 4 miscarriages, without doing the IVIG. Unfortunately I did have my fifth miscarriage with a genetically tested embryo. From that retrieval, I only had one other frozen embryo that did not reveal any results in the genetic testing (perhaps a glitch in the testing, perhaps an indication that it was not a good embryo). As a result, Dr. Chang was more than happy to let me do my second retrieval (I had a package of two retrievals) rather than compel me to use the embryo of uncertain quality. For this round, he did not discourage me from doing IVIG, and so I was super lucky enough for the embryo to finally stick. My son is now three years old. I really liked Dr. Chang as a person, and I know that immune issues in pregnancy have split the RE professional community: some doctors believe it but won't treat it, some doctors just don't believe in it, and then there are RE's out there who really look to immune issues when a patient's history of RPL suggests that it might be present. So I think Dr. Chang is an excellent doctor who just happens to not be in the "immune camp."
I had a package of two retrievals, as many FETs as were needed, freezing and storage for a year. I qualified for a reduction in price due to my income, and I think it was a little over $15,000. I used both retrievals, so it was an extremely good deal. I also qualified for some reduced price medication for my first round of IVF...Shady Grove is a very large facility and has so many patients. I totally thought that it would feel like a factory and was quite pleasantly surprised that it was by far the best experience I had had. From the doctor to nurse to the people signing you in at the front desk to the financial people and the monitoring nurses, I never had a bad experience. They were all very polite and kind and did not make you feel rushed. The financial consultants were particularly thorough and kind. I had a different doctor for my transfer, Dr. Doyle, and he didn't know me at all but made me feel like I was his patient. I was floored by the contrast between my expectations and my actual experience.
How was your experience with Frank Chang at Shady Grove Fertility?
If you have had several miscarriages and want to pursue immune testing and treatment, Dr. Chang is probably not the way to go. Other than that, he is a very thoughtful doctor.
Dr. Chang is very compassionate but in a low-key way. Of the three doctors I had, he was the only one who would actually phone me -- it kind of blew me away that he'd call personally instead of getting a nurse to call. The only critique I have of him is one that I knew when I switched: he is not really interested in treating people who suspect themselves to have immunological problems with pregnancy. So he was politely dismissive of IVIG, an immune treatment that was recommended by my previous RE (who I sadly had to leave for financial reasons once I switched to IVF). But other than that, he is compassionate and seemed devastated when he had to tell me he could see no heartbeat for my fifth miscarriage on my first IVF round with him (I did not elect to do IVIG for this transfer).
Because I had had four IUI miscarriages at another clinic, Dr. Chang strongly recommended that I use a genetically tested embryo rather than do an IVF transfer without genetic testing. I fully agreed. For my first transfer, I injected with Lovenox (a blood thinner), which was his concession to my suspected immune issues. I was also happy to do that since I was honestly a little freaked out by the thought of IVIG. After my miscarriage, Dr. Chang was so disappointed with the RPL that he actually requested that the D&C fetal material be genetically tested (again) just to make sure that the original testing was correct (it was). (My OB thought it was a little silly to test it because the chances of the original testing being wrong are very very slim.) Dr. Chang also called the genetic testing company to find out the gender of embryo, as a way to make sure that we had all the right information. For my second transfer, Dr. Chang saw no reason for me to spend the money on genetic testing again. And so we went for a fresh 5 day transfer. I continued doing the Lovenox injections, and I also informed him that I'd be doing IVIF pre-transfer. He again did not seem to think that the IVIG would help at all, but he did not discourage me. Happily, I did get pregnant and for the first time my HCG doubled and doubled ... and now I have a three year old. The credit for my protocol will have to go to Dr. Abbasi of Columbia Fertility Associates, as well as Dr. Victor Priego, a hematologist at the Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jessica)
Jessica was amazing! Very personable and easy to talk to, very positive. She was totally organized. I was quite surprised because I had expected to have a "dip" when moving to Shady Grove Fertility, which is so large and seemed to have the reputation of a factory. I had the complete opposite experience, personified by Jessica. She was very responsive to email or phone calls, kept track of all my paperwork, and left me the nicest happiest message on my answering machine after my son was born.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
My nurse Jessica was fabulous, and she said, "Do you want multiples at all?" and I said no. She said, then only transfer one embryo. She said, "It's happened before that someone transfers two, and then one splits ... and they got triplets." I really did not want that to happen!