6.1

Frank Chang works at

9601 Blackwell Road, 4th and 5th floors
Rockville, MD 20850
301.340.1188

He [Dr. Chang] was very matter of fact about odds, treatment and protocol. He adjusted as necessary during cycles and had a kind bedside manner before and after our egg retrieval. We had a successful pregnancy on our first frozen transfer and we plan to transfer our remaining embryo this year. If that does not work we will not hesitate to use Dr. Chang for another round of ivf to have our second baby...He will answer everything thoughtfully.
I never had anything but a kind interaction with everyone who worked there [Shady Grove Fertility-Rockville] and the nurses there are above average. I had trouble getting blood drawn and they were so patient and kind to me every time I was there (which was sometimes almost every day for weeks at a time)...She [nurse] was hyper organized, quick to respond to my phone calls or emails and always had a kind word to say for both our negative and positive pregnancy tests. She helped us find cheaper prescriptions and had any resource we could ask for.
How was your experience with Frank Chang at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Chang was a great doctor to have for pcos and male factor infertility. He gave us both things to work on for about six months before retesting my husbands semen to see if we could improve our odds without further treatment. When that wasn’t the case, we moved forward with IUI and ultimately IVF when it became clear that we needed to do ICSI. He was very matter of fact about odds, treatment and protocol. He adjusted as necessary during cycles and had a kind bedside manner before and after our egg retrieval. We had a successful pregnancy on our first frozen transfer and we plan to transfer our remaining embryo this year. If that does not work we will not hesitate to use Dr. Chang for another round of ivf to have our second baby.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Frank Chang at Shady Grove Fertility?
Ask a lot of questions at your consultations and appointments. He will answer everything thoughtfully.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Frank Chang at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Chang was very matter of fact about treatment and odds but was a kind person which is exactly what I was looking for. I wanted information that was not sugarcoated.
Describe the protocols Frank Chang used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Clomid for one IUI cycle (adding extra days of Clomid for further follicle development) with ovidrel trigger (negative pregnancy test) , Letrozole for one IUI with ovidrel trigger (negative pregnancy test- male factor), IVF cycle with menopur, final-f, endometrin and a lupron trigger. 20 eggs retrieved, 16 mature, 9 fertilized, 2 made it to blast. 1 fresh embryo transfer resulting in live birth, 1 embryo frozen.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Dew Jamandre)
When we met our nurse, Dew, I have to say that we were underwhelmed. She was very matter of fact without, it seemed, much emotion or compassion. However, I am so glad we gave her a chance because she ended up being a great advocate for us. She was hyper organized, quick to respond to my phone calls or emails and always had a kind word to say for both our negative and positive pregnancy tests. She helped us find cheaper prescriptions and had any resource we could ask for. Dew really made this journey easy for us and I hope she is able to do the same for many more people hoping to conceive.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove Fertility knows what it is doing. I am sure they churn out patient after patient every day. To some people this may make you feel like you’re just a number to them but for me it was a comfort because it meant they knew what they were doing. I never had anything but a kind interaction with everyone who worked there and the nurses there are above average. I had trouble getting blood drawn and they were so patient and kind to me every time I was there (which was sometimes almost every day for weeks at a time).
Describe the costs associated with your care under Frank Chang at Shady Grove Fertility.
We are very lucky to have good insurance so our coverage was excellent. We mostly paid copays and for some of our medications. Many of the tests were not considered “fertility” and fell under regular insurance coverage so they didn’t eat into our fertility coverage.
Describe Frank Chang's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
He strongly suggested single embryo transfer due to risk to mother and child with a multiple pregnancy, no added odds of getting pregnant if you transfer multiple and also due to our non-advances ages.
Rockville

Dr. Chang was very warm and personable in his communication with us. We had an initial phone consultation with him (we live out-of-state), met him during our first office visit and, upon our request, he performed the embryo transfer...Based on my age, we were recommended and chose to go with a donor egg...He answered all our questions (big and small) with thoughtful, detailed answers and was willing to share what events led him into the field of fertility medicine...was a very good communicator before the procedure and was very smooth and efficient during my procedure. His beside manner was excellent and he made us feel very at ease and that we were in good hands.
The clinic [Shady Grove Fertility] is very modern and welcoming. Several of the initial coordinators were great, and provided us with a wealth of information. The waiting areas are very comfortable and provide a bit of privacy for the couples to wait for their appointments....Based on my age, we were recommended and chose to go with a donor egg via IFV. We selected frozen eggs via an egg bank. We purchased eight eggs, seven eggs thawed successfully and were inseminated with my partner's sperm (his sperm was also frozen and thawed). From those seven eggs, four embryos reached day-five blastocyst. We had one embryo transferred and I am currently in week 8 of my pregnancy! We froze the remaining three embryos.
How was your experience with Frank Chang at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Chang was a very good communicator before the procedure and was very smooth and efficient during my procedure. His beside manner was excellent and he made us feel very at ease and that we were in good hands.
Keep a list of all your questions, big and small, and ask him, so that you are comfortable and confident with your choices.
Dr. Chang was very warm and personable in his communication with us. We had an initial phone consultation with him (we live out-of-state), met him during our first office visit and, upon our request, he performed the embryo transfer. He answered all our questions (big and small) with thoughtful, detailed answers and was willing to share what events led him into the field of fertility medicine and to Shady Grove Fertility Clinic. Before making our decision, we did a lot of research and consulted with several other clinics, and Dr. Chang and Shady Grove was an excellent choice for us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Pennye)
Our primary nurse coordinator has been responsive but very flat in her communication with us. On several occasions we looked to her for some critical additional information and she fell short. For example, I had to take progesterone shots for 10 weeks, and asked her for some tips on administering the shots. All she provided was a link to a video which we had already seen. Alternatively, during our transfer, we had access to another nurse who provided a wealth of useful information regarding the shots. Our nurse coordinator was prompt with her responses, but was not very good at going the extra mile to provide helpful information.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic is very modern and welcoming. Several of the initial coordinators were great, and provided us with a wealth of information. The waiting areas are very comfortable and provide a bit of privacy for the couples to wait for their appointments.
We paid $13k for donor eggs. Our insurance (Cigna) has been great thus far and has covered many costs. We paid $300 for the Clinic's counselor, and probably several hundred in various appointments and local monitoring (blood work, ultrasounds). We are still waiting for some claims to process through insurance.
The philosophy for Shady Grove is one day-five embryo transfer for one healthy baby.
Rockville

While the day to day instructions and details are conveyed by our nurse, Dr. Chang is usually available for questions if requested and called us directly if there was significant news (good or bad). During those calls, he always asked how am I doing--all of which made us feel like our case mattered...Dr. Chang is pleasant, knowledgeable, honest and an empathetic listener. He seems fully aware of the physical and financial challenges patients often experience. He is slightly hopeful while remaining candid. He also doesn't try to push us in a direction we don't want.
To be honest, it was a bumpy start with our nurse [at Shady Grove]. She's very kind and compassionate, but having worked with another nurse before, we could see that she was not as thorough in giving instructions. There's been much improvement since those initial hiccups, but we still ask for clarification on occasion...SGF handles monitoring appointments like a well-oiled machine. They do a great job from start to finish.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
To be honest, it was a bumpy start with our nurse. She's very kind and compassionate, but having worked with another nurse before, we could see that she was not as thorough in giving instructions. There's been much improvement since those initial hiccups, but we still ask for clarification on occasion.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove takes great effort to create an environment with compassionate professional care from the front desk folks that greet you at check-in to the medical staff passed in the halls to even how the waiting space is broken up so you don't walk into a massive open waiting room akin to visiting the DMV. When you're having a tough day as many of us do in this process, those things are comforting. We've been with Shady Grove through three IVF cycles and the one area of weakness is the Financial Services team. The Finance team has high turnover, doesn't always lay out costs clearly and at times may take days to respond to your call or message. That said, they are still pleasant to work with. I would suggest doing most communication on finances via email so you have records.
Two cycles of IVF with PGS testing: $21,500 plus the cost of meds which adds an additional $5,000-$7,500 per cycle.
Rockville
Dr. Change listened to our concerns and worked with a new plan, as our first IVF with another fertility clinic failed. He was willing to try what we thought would work differently. we tried a fresh transfer rather than a frozen, and we took many supplements that were allowed by SGF to help with egg quality. Overall I felt heard and my ideas taken under consideration...We did the Lupron Stop protocol, along with menopur and Gonal F. We tried that because my first round of IVF with a different clinic was unsuccessful in growing quality embryos. Our first round of IVF at the other clinic yielded 0 embryos to transfer. This cycle with Dr. Chang at SGF yielded 7 good quality embryos! We transferred 1 embryo which resulted in a successful pregnancy. I am currently 34 weeks pregnant.
[The nurses at Shady Grove Fertility- Rockville were] very nice and frequently good with communication and emailed responses...Once my beta results were failed to be notified. I called the clinic and was able to get the results...I did a fresh transfer. I at first wanted to transfer two, however Dr. Chang was concerned about the development of OHSS. I am happy he led me to transfer only one embryo. I became successfully pregnant with a single embryo.
How was your experience with Frank Chang at Shady Grove Fertility?
Don't be afraid to voice your concerns. Dr. Change will listen and will work with your plan.
Although this clinic was very busy, I was always seen in a timely manner, and Dr. Chang called me personally to let me know the outcome of our retrieval.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kaitlin Fournier)
Very nice and frequently good with communication and emailed responses.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
This is a very busy clinic. With that being said, most all staff members were compassionate and helpful. SGF has a free therapy group that patients can join and meet others in the same situation. That was very helpful. They also have a wellness center with acupuncture and massage. This was a saving grace for me! I was able to do acupuncture often, and on the day of my transfer.
I had insurance that covered 50%. My medication and fresh cycle cost totaled about $6000 total. The cryopreservation totaled $1800 for the first year.

2014 - 2015, Successful
Dr. Chang was so compassionate. He was kind and he listened to all of our questions and made sure we understood everything. He was encouraging as well. We have seen 4 other doctors (rotating schedule at our first clinic) and he was the most caring doctor I have ever met...Absolutely loved him! Felt completely at ease. He is a fabulous doctor!!! My husband felt the same way. My experience with him was 100% a night and day difference from my previous doctor. He never treated us like just a number or a money making endeavor.
They are a wonderful clinic and their reviews and reputation are completely true. They are all so compassionate....they are so much more than just a fertility clinic. They are invested in helping couples to have a family...Shady Grove's monitoring hours were in the morning. Yes, there were a lot of people there, and the waiting room was usually full, but you had an appointment time and they had everything together. Blood work first, then ultrasound. They have everything together. You didn't have to wait long.
How was your experience with Frank Chang at Shady Grove Fertility?
Absolutely loved him! Felt completely at ease. He is a fabulous doctor!!! My husband felt the same way. My experience with him was 100% a night and day difference from my previous doctor. He never treated us like just a number or a money making endeavor. He always spoke to us with kind words and told us we would be parents. He would get us pregnant.
Make it a priority to see him. He's by far the best doctor that we have ever seen. Make seeing him your first choice.
We went into a fresh IVF cycle knowing we would do ICSI. We did the normal stems and then added in Menopur to help the quality of my eggs, instead of focusing on the quantity. I feel like this was the change we needed. We went through stems and then found what appeared to be a hydrosalphinx (fluid filled tube) so we went egg retrieval and froze all embryos. I had that tube removed and then we transferred two embryos, resulting in twins.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Dew Jamadre)
Dew was just like Dr. Chang in the way of compassion. She was always willing to help us in any way and answer all questions. She was available to us at all times, and if she wasn't available for any reason, she made sure we had someone to contact during her absence.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
They are a wonderful clinic and their reviews and reputation are completely true. They are all so compassionate. We had been to one other clinic before coming to Shady Grove and they are so much more than just a fertility clinic. They are invested in helping couples to have a family. Our other clinic was like a nightmare where we were only good for them to make money off of us.
We were pay as you go, and Shady Grove has a discount program you can apply for. We did the Shared Risk program, which is basically a risk free plan. We got a discount on that and then we applied for pharmacy discount programs for our meds as well. We did have to travel and stay at a hotel while there, but it was worth it.
He had a preference of transferring 1 embryo, but ultimately left it up to us. He was supportive of our decision to transfer 2 embryos after we had suffered 2 losses and the distance of travel for us between our home and the clinic.
2013 - 2015, Successful
He [Dr. Frank Chang] was amazing. Very thorough and pleasant. Listens to me and asked for my opinion and thoughts. Treated me with respect and remembered me when I went back to him for my 3rd child. He worked with me to ensure that I would have the best success and respected my wishes even when he didn’t necessarily agree and never made me feel like I didn’t know what I was talking about. He also gave me a lot of professional courtesy bc I work in the healthcare field.
There was a lot of turnaround with nursing staff [at Shady Grove Fertility- Rockville] They were all very competent, but each time I went back for another IUI, it was a different nurse. I didn’t really care though bc I had a plan set with a Dr Chang and that’s all that mattered. The nurses just followed our plan and it worked out great...Very busy office...Sometimes I feel like it’s jist all business, but ultimately I got what I wanted from them and that’s all that mattered. The office staff, nursing staff and medical staff made me feel that way. But never Dr. Chang.
How was your experience with Frank Chang at Shady Grove Fertility?
He was amazing. Very thorough and pleasant. Listens to me and asked for my opinion and thoughts. Treated me with respect and remembered me when I went back to him for my 3rd child. He worked with me to ensure that I would have the best success and respected my wishes even when he didn’t necessarily agree and never made me feel like I didn’t know what I was talking about. He also gave me a lot of professional courtesy bc I work in the healthcare field.
Be direct, speak your mind. Listen to him as well. He knows what he’s doing and he would never intentionally steer you the wrong way.
He listens to me and asked for my opinion and respected my wishes/thoughts on matters. He trusted that I knew what was best for me.
Straight forward IUI using Follistism to grow my follicles to approx. 20-22mm. I get the best results once my follicles are nice and big. My other doctor didn’t thing i should wait that long for my follicles to grow and therefore i had unsuccessful IUIs before i had my successful ones. Ovidrel was used to trigger my eggs. After finding which protocol worked for me, we never steered from it and it resulted in 2 more successful pregnancies that led to 2 more healthy babies for me and my husband.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Shady Grove Fertility.
There was a lot of turnaround with nursing staff. They were all very competent, but each time I went back for another IUI, it was a different nurse. I didn’t really care though bc I had a plan set with a Dr Chang and that’s all that mattered. The nurses just followed our plan and it worked out great.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Very busy office. But it’s most convenient for me. It’s the closest location to where I live. Sometimes I feel like it’s jist all business, but ultimately I got what I wanted from them and that’s all that mattered. The office staff, nursing staff and medical staff made me feel that way. But never Dr. Chang.
100% covered by I Durante. Only paid co-pays.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
Just office staff not relating important messages to my first doctor. Dr. Esposito in the Frederick, MD office was very difficult and they wouldn’t believe me when I told them my period had started. They insisted that it couldn’t have started already. I had to call the office manager to get them to schedule a day 3 appt. And if I didn’t do that I wouldn’t have gotten pregnant with my daughter. That’s why I switched doctors midway through my IUI treatment. Dr. Esposito didn’t listen to me, didn’t respect me and treated me like I was stupid. She talked down to me even though I told her I was a nurse and I was very familiar with medical jargon and understood procedural methods.

2012 - 2013, Successful
She [my nurse] took her time to explain everything I wanted to know and was very caring and personal
if anyone can help you - he is the one!
I am not sure how Dr Chang treated other patients but when he learned that I am scientists he made every effort to provide me with data and statistics for every question I had. Additionally when I would get results from any of the tests, a nurse would call to let me know and if I had any questions she was not able to answer Dr Chang would call. When my first pregnancy went wrong, gave me all the answers I needed to deal the best I can with the situation. I am really really grateful for that. He is not someone to cry with you but he is very smart guy who knows his job very well and how to treat his patients.
Started with Vivelle patches and cetrotide and afterwards we did Gonal F/Menopur and the final shot was Lupron not HCG which would have been too much for me. I remember that one of the nurses commented that everyone in the clinic is giving HCG and she was asking me 10 times if I am sure the I needed Lupron. I was responding very well to treatment and if I got HCG I wold have likely ended up in hospital due to hyper-stimulation. First pregnancy lost due to trisomy (we biopsied the embryo to learn what went wrong. Would recommend this over waiting at home the embryo goes out on its own. This helped me tremendously to deal with the pregnancy loss. Second cycle we got out twin girls. I carried them full term and they are happy healthy kids and I am well too.
She took her time to explain everything I wanted to know and was very caring and personal
we had to pay for medication and IVF cycles out of pocket but doctor's visits were covered by insurance so I would not know the precise sum. I would guess that it was between $20,000 and $25,000 for both cycles with meds. We also got a discount for the cycles because we paid for multiple cycles from once.
2014 - 2017, Unknown Success
Dr. Chang was always very straightforward & knowledgeable. He was always very responsive when I wanted or needed to speak with him directly. He was factual sharing pros & cons of each situation/option.... He doesn't tell you what you want to "hear". If gives you the facts based on his recommendations in a very straightforward way, giving pros & cons of the different options.
With the larger clinic [Shady Grove] when working with the clinical coordinator &/or financial teams I they do not seem to have the same amount of compassion or sensitivity. I have not been happy with my experiences. I feel like a "number" that pays the bills.... The nursing staff that i have worked with during my time at Shady Grove have been amazing. I have had a few different nurses based on different reasons. All have been great communicators as well as very compassionate.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
With the larger clinic when working with the clinical coordinator &/or financial teams I they do not seem to have the same amount of compassion or sensitivity. I have not been happy with my experiences. I feel like a "number" that pays the bills.
I've purchased an IVF package which had multiple items included.
He always recommended a SET, for the health of the baby/myself. Many doctors want to do more to help with their "stats"; however, Dr. Chang always strongly recommended towards what is the healthiest pregnancy/baby.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
I had a test performed at another location. My primary nurse was out the day my results were supposed to come in. I had to call that afternoon due to get the results since i had not heard from anyone. Sounded like a fax issue but nurses very very apologetic.
2010 - 2014, Successful
In preparation for my IVF cycle, he [Dr. Frank Chang] suggested I have my tubes removed. I had my tubes removed by an oncologist who did a lot of surgeries and had removed a large cyst from my left ovary. I had some sort of infection following the surgery and had to be admitted to the hospital. Dr. Chang called to check on my personally. I didn't expect that kind of care. I felt he really cared about me.
She [the nurse at Shady Grove-Rockville] was amazing! Every step of the way. Super patient with me. Willing to put up with questions. I still remember the day she called me with the news that I was pregnant. I felt she lived it with me. That she was excited as I was that i was pregnant. The same thing when I had a failed cycle. I heard the sadness in her voice as well. She truly cared.
How was your experience with Frank Chang at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Chang was thoughtful and professional and I hold him responsible for my two children. He was patient with me. Accepted my input in the plans for my care. He tried to help me have realistic expectations and I felt he was personally involved in my care.
Don't be afraid to advocate for yourself or disagree with him. He is open.
In preparation for my IVF cycle, he suggested I have my tubes removed. I had my tubes removed by an oncologist who did a lot of surgeries and had removed a large cyst from my left ovary. I had some sort of infection following the surgery and had to be admitted to the hospital. Dr. Chang called to check on my personally. I didn't expect that kind of care. I felt he really cared about me.
She was amazing! Every step of the way. Super patient with me. Willing to put up with questions. I still remember the day she called me with the news that I was pregnant. I felt she lived it with me. That she was excited as I was that i was pregnant. The same thing when I had a failed cycle. I heard the sadness in her voice as well. She truly cared.
2014, Successful
He [Dr. Chang] went straight to the point, avoiding unnecessary tests and treatments. I recommend him 100%
Write down everything. Given his [Dr. Chang's]expertise, he may not be as accessible.
How was your experience with Frank Chang at Shady Grove Fertility?
After being treated by several doctors in different clinics, Dr Chang's expertise rised above all! he went straight to the point, avoiding unnecesary tests and treatments. I recommend him 100%
Write down everything. Given his expertise, he may not be as accesible
timely and precise

2014, Successful
Around day 13 or 14 when my eggs already had a nice grow I did my trigger shot and the next day had my IUI [with Dr. Frank Chang]. After the IUD they prescribe you the vaginal hormones to help with the uterus lining...He took the time to explain what will be the next step to us. The day before to do the IUI he personally call me to explain what was going on with my eggs and if I want to do the IUI (I had to many eggs)...The day I had my IUI I didn’t know who would do my treatment (is not always your primary doctor) so I asked for doctor Chang and I found him talking to a nurse and I asked him “Dr. Chang please could you do the IUI” and he said “Yes, just wait for my in the room”. I was so happy.
They are really nice nurses [at Shady Grove Fertility] and they always call you back the same day usually at the end of the day...The people who works with the insurances companies are really knowledge and nice, they explain almost every detail about your insurance covers. I had a few problem with the personal from the front desk, sometimes they don’t know about some information and make you wait long time on the phone...They call the wrong pharmacy to get my trigger shot.
How was your experience with Frank Chang at Shady Grove Fertility?
He was so nice with me. Every time I saw him he always answers my concerns and worries and make me feels calm and positive (when you are in a fertility treatment been positive is a key for success). The day I had my IUI I didn’t know who would do my treatment (is not always your primary doctor) so I asked for doctor Chang and I found him talking to a nurse and I asked him “Dr. Chang please could you do the IUI” and he said “Yes, just wait for my in the room”. I was so happy.
Follow his advises and be super positive!
He did the hormones injections (I don’t remember the name of the injections). I started the fourth day of my period and then I had to go every day or every other day to check my process. Around day 13 or 14 when my eggs already had a nice grow I did my trigger shot and the next day had my IUI. After the IUD they prescribe you the vaginal hormones to help with the uterus lining.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
They are really nice nurses and they always call you back the same day usually at the end of the day.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
They call the wrong pharmacy to get my trigger shot.