7.3

Frank Yelian works at

3500 Barranca Pkwy
Irvine, CA 92606
949-788-1133

Dr. Yelian is very kind and will answer your questions IF you get the chance to see him. Mostly you will have contact with nurses. He is very optimistic and gives everyone a chance at success, though I was under the impression that this would be much easier than it has been. I'm not sure if I'm just that unfortunate or if they present an inflated success rate... Some of the frustration is from not getting to talk to a doctor and hear the reasons for the particular treatment plan. The nurses send over the ultrasound information and bloodwork results for a doctor to review in Irvine. This is my least favorite aspect of the clinic. I like to know why things are being done a certain way, but if you want to talk to a doctor about your treatment plan, it will cost you $75.
At no point did anyone. [at Life IVF Center] talk with us about the unlikelihood of getting a healthy egg from this. They just pressed on. We had wanted to cancel a week before this, but were encouraged to keep going by the nurse, since that is what the doctor's treatment plan had in it. My husband and I ended up cancelling the cycle on day 18, but we had wasted thousands of extra dollars on meds at that point (plus they charged us $250 for the extra office visit because we went over 5x). If we hadn't cancelled the cycle, we would have been out all of the money when the egg retrieved was (presumably) unusable. At least by cancelling it we were able to use the package again, though we had to pay the $850 monitoring fee and purchase meds for another cycle. So little counsel through the process.
How was your experience with Frank Yelian at Life IVF Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Frank Yelian at Life IVF Center?
Ask questions. Don't let them treat you like a number. If you just go along with things, they will continue to take your money even if there is little chance for success. For one cycle, the follicles weren't growing very much so they more than doubled the drugs I was on. The next time I went in they hadn't grown at all, even with all the extra injectables. I went in a few days later and all the follicles had atrophied except one, which hadn't grown for days. By day 18 it was clear this cycle wasn't going anywhere, but they wanted to trigger me and try to get the (1) 13mm follicle that hadn't grown in a week. At no point did anyone talk with us about the unlikelihood of getting a healthy egg from this. They just pressed on. We had wanted to cancel a week before this, but were encouraged to keep going by the nurse, since that is what the doctor's treatment plan had in it. My husband and I ended up cancelling the cycle on day 18, but we had wasted thousands of extra dollars on meds at that point (plus they charged us $250 for the extra office visit because we went over 5x). If we hadn't cancelled the cycle, we would have been out all of the money when the egg retrieved was (presumably) unusable. At least by cancelling it we were able to use the package again, though we had to pay the $850 monitoring fee and purchase meds for another cycle. So little counsel through the process.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Frank Yelian at Life IVF Center?
Dr. Yelian is kind, however, it is rare to have much interaction with him outside of the procedure room. Even then, more than 50% of the time another Dr. (usually Dr. Kao) would do the egg retrieval. The office is very busy in Irvine, though I usually go to Arcadia. The nurses are generally kind, but I was often frustrated that I couldn't get straight answers to my questions. I've done 2 egg retrievals and 6 IVF cycles (of those one was cancelled, another had 0 eggs that fertilized, and one cycle none of the fertilized eggs made it to Day 5). It has been a very emotionally exhausting and frustrating experience. Some of the frustration is from not getting to talk to a doctor and hear the reasons for the particular treatment plan. The nurses send over the ultrasound information and bloodwork results for a doctor to review in Irvine. This is my least favorite aspect of the clinic. I like to know why things are being done a certain way, but if you want to talk to a doctor about your treatment plan, it will cost you $75.
Describe the protocols Frank Yelian used in your cycles at Life IVF Center and their degree of success.
Mini IVF. 50mg Clomid (or less if your FSH is over 15). Injectables starting on day 2, 3, or 4, usually of Gonal-F. If that isn't working they either switch over to Menapur or add it in. Once follicles get to the appropriate size they will trigger you with Lupron and (usually) HCG. The retrieval is 35 hours later. The reason we went with a clinic that did Mini IVF was because we had read that embryo quality could possibly be better with less meds. Also, because I have diminished ovarian reserve I probably wouldn't be able to get a lot of eggs even with more medication. Since going through all of this, I have come across some clinics that disagree with the Mini IVF protocol. In their opinion the quality isn't better and you waste a lot of time getting just a few eggs per cycle. I've heard it takes twice as many cycles to conceive.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Life IVF Center.
The nursing staff at the Arcadia location is great. Very friendly and compassionate. The nurses at the Irvine location are very busy. Some of the nurses in Irvine are extremely knowledgable and have been helpful in answering all my questions.
Describe your experience with Life IVF Center.
Very busy. I enjoy going to the Arcadia location, but they are only open M-F. Almost every cycle I end up having to go to Irvine on a Saturday for a monitoring appointment. Also, all procedures are done in Irvine. I wasn't expecting to have to do that much driving. I chose the clinic partially because Arcadia isn't too far from my home. When I go to Irvine on a Saturday I end up waiting around a lot. The majority of the time it takes a few hours at the clinic, so, plus driving time, it takes up half of the day every time I go.
What specific things went wrong at Life IVF Center?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Life IVF Center.
The clinic runs very efficiently as long as nothing is out of order. I've been there when the blood work machine stopped working and they had to send lab tests out (which of course slowed everything down). One of the nurses has forgotten to fill in all the areas for the meds used for the egg retrieval twice. Because it is a narcotic, the pharmacy can't take it unless it is precisely filled out. Once the trigger shot was not put in my bag, which sent me into a complete panic (I realized it after driving an hour back home). They are usually backlogged on Saturdays and it borders on chaotic.
Irvine
Dr Yelian was very kind. He truly cares for all of his patients. The day I got my negative beta I met with him and we talked about what happened and what we could do the next time around. He listened to my concerns and was truly sorry that we weren’t successful ... Dr. Y is very friendly. He truly cares for all of his patients. He takes the time to get to know all of his patients and it’s very kind and understanding.
The entire Staff [Life IVF] is very friendly - you will soon learn to everyones names that you interact with. ... The clinic is open from 730 to 6 but monitoring only happens from 730 to 2. Appointments are in 15 minute increments but is well oiled. ... I love that I can either call or email them if I have any questions. The only downfall is the wait in the waiting room sometimes is a bit longer than anticipated. But thankfully you can let the office staff you are stepping out to get some food and return and still be in the queue to see the nurse. There’s also outlets to charge your phone if needed and a tv with cable.
How was your experience with Frank Yelian at Life IVF Center?
Make sure you get all the required testing out is the way as soon as possible after your initial consult.
For my iui we used a combination of clomid, menopur and progesterone suppositories. I did fairly well but given the iui rates it did not succeed. For IVF egg retrieval I used clomid, menopur, gonal f and lupron for a trigger shot - we used minimal amounts. With my PCOS I did not react as atinicpated we only were able to get 3 egg and only 1 made it to blastocyst/embryo stage. For transfer I used a combination of estrogen, progesterone, and tamoxifen. Unfortunately the embryo did not take.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Life IVF Center.
The nursing staff was amazing! Very friendly and caring. I was very nervous leading up to the egg retrieval and every time they were comforting and explained everything. I even asked their opinions on oral sedation versus iv Sedation and they explained the procedure. The day of transfer I saw one of the nurses I typically see and she Said to me “I was so excited when wrote your bracket last night! good luck!” She was also the one to give me the news that my transfer didn’t take but was very kind about it and talked to me about it.
Describe your experience with Life IVF Center.
The entire Staff is very friendly - you will soon learn to everyones names that you interact with. The clinic has a friendly feel and everyone treats you as a person. I love that I can either call or email them if I have any questions. The only downfall is the wait in the waiting room sometimes is a bit longer than anticipated. But thankfully you can let the office staff you are stepping out to get some food and return and still be in the queue to see the nurse. There’s also outlets to charge your phone if needed and a tv with cable.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Life IVF Center.
The clinic is open from 730 to 6 but monitoring only happens from 730 to 2. Appointments are in 15 minute increments but is well oiled. If you check in early sometimes they will pull you in early but it depends on their schedule.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Frank Yelian at Life IVF Center.
for our iui we paid everything entirely out of pocket. I think overall we paid about 4500. Our last round of ivf our insurance covered it so we only had to pay for the donor sperm and medications.
Investment Banker
He’s a nice man with a big heart! He’s just very busy and you don’t always get to see him. Most of the time your are just dealing with the staff. I do feel like he truly cares and wants to help! He’s very optimistic and honest. ... I don’t like that you don’t get to speak directly to Dr/ Yelian. ... We did a mini cycle with minimal meds and specific meds to keep my FSH down.
The front desk staff [Life IVF] needs to be more welcoming. I feel like they are so busy and they don’t get to give the specific time each patient might need. I do like how clean and organized they are. I don’t like that you don’t get to speak directly to Dr/ Yelian. ... There so busy and so many people in and out. ... I think for two transfers and two egg retrieval’s cost about $10k plus meds and $795 per cycling fee. Embryo testing is about $1,500 per embryo. If you batch them it’s cheaper.
How was your experience with Frank Yelian at Life IVF Center?
You have to be your own advocate.
There so busy and so many people in and out.
We did a mini cycle with minimal meds and specific meds to keep my FSH down.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Life IVF Center.
Some are really nice and care and for some it’s just a job. Sometimes there’s a language barrier.
Describe your experience with Life IVF Center.
The front desk staff needs to be more welcoming. I feel like they are so busy and they don’t get to give the specific time each patient might need. I do like how clean and organized they are. I don’t like that you don’t get to speak directly to Dr/ Yelian.
Describe Frank Yelian's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Life IVF Center.
Yes, they prefer to just transfer one embryo but I’m still praying about maybe transferring 2.
What specific things went wrong at Life IVF Center?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Life IVF Center.
No nothing specific