9.8

Phoenix, AZ 85016
9819 North 95th Street
Scottsdale, AZ 85258

Embryo Freezing With Other Docs
Dr. Larsen has always had a warm and welcome approach to care. Part of that is making sure he explains all that he sees (specifically explaining what we’re looking at on ultrasound in plain/ non-medical terminology). I never felt rushed and have always been given the opportunity to ask questions whether it be in an exam room or in his office. I particularly like that the doctor does the ultrasound themselves and has a lot of personal time with the patients.
The overall experience [at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona] is comforting. The doctors exceed my expectations every time, the lobby of the offices are beautiful and welcoming, the IVF coordinators are great resources- they truly are amazing. The nurses are friendly and assist the doctors in the room in case you have any gender concerns with a male doctor. Everyone is professional, friendly, and always smiling. To prevent feeling overwhelmed, bring a notepad, a list of questions relating to your diagnosis, treatment plan, cost, etc, and most importantly, your spouse. You aren’t alone, ever. Many of us are walking alongside you fighting the same or similar battle.
How was your experience with Frederick Larsen at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona?
I conceived my daughter under the care of this clinic, primarily with another doctor but due to location preference, I see Dr. Larsen more now. He is definitely more blunt than the other doctor I see but his approach isn’t offensive. He doesn’t hide the truth or leave out details. I may take offense if I were a first time patient though. Overall, he provides the care I am looking for and always has a smile on his face with a positive outlook and plan. I recently recommended him to a friend in need of a fertility doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Frederick Larsen at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona?
He has a faster-pace/ higher energy than some of the other doctors there but by no means does he rush you. As a first time patient it may seem like he is but believe me, I have asked him lots and lots of questions and they were thoroughly answered. Arrive prepared with questions. If you think of a question after you leave, ask a nurse on your patient portal or give the office a call. They are very responsive and if it’s too elaborate to relay a message, sometimes the doctor himself will return the call.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Frederick Larsen at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona?
Describe the protocols Frederick Larsen used in your cycles at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona and their degree of success.
I am preparing for an egg retrieval for embryo preservation. I am on Microsose Lupron, Menopur, Gonal-F and will take a Hcg trigger shot 36 hours before retrieval. These are all injectables so I was overwhelmed when they arrived, however, the clinic sets you up for an injection teaching appointment where they show you how to mix all of them into one so you only take one shot vs 3. I have to do this 2 times daily and go to the clinic for blood draws and ultrasounds to monitor how the eggs are maturing for retrieval. I am confident in their estimated timing for trigger at this office since I’ve had to do the trigger shot to conceive my daughter and we were successful very quickly.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
The nursing staff is pleasant and always happy. My only complaint is they don’t seem organized. When I call with questions relating to an IVF cycle, different people answer and provide different answers. For example, one told me I haven’t been off of birth control long enough to start a cycle while another told me to stop it on a specific date. They aren’t consistent and I personally go to the IVF coordinator for questions since she is always consistent.
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
The overall experience is comforting. The doctors exceed my expectations every time, the lobby of the offices are beautiful and welcoming, the IVF coordinators are great resources- they truly are amazing. The nurses are friendly and assist the doctors in the room in case you have any gender concerns with a male doctor. Everyone is professional, friendly, and always smiling. To prevent feeling overwhelmed, bring a notepad, a list of questions relating to your diagnosis, treatment plan, cost, etc, and most importantly, your spouse. You aren’t alone, ever. Many of us are walking alongside you fighting the same or similar battle.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Frederick Larsen at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
$8,239. My insurance was in-network and covered some of the office visit. We knew the Natera genetic screening was optional and billed outside but had no idea it would be $3,000. Medications are also billed outside, $1,200. The doctors office collects their portion upfront before you start your cycle, pharmacy calls for payment before they overnight meds and the genetic lab needs payment before your results will be released to your doctor.
Describe Frederick Larsen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
Both doctors I’ve seen in this office prefer single embryo transfer, unless the patient has strong desire for multiple. They explain the rational and ultimately let you decide but are confident in their approach and the lower risk associated with one.
What specific things went wrong at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
I stress this- always ask a doctor or IVF coordinator specific questions. The nurses go off of the experiences they are “used to” within the office but everyone is different. The IVF coordinator or doctor will go back through your chart and provide information tailored to you.
Mesa

Dr. Larson explains everything in great detail and never seems in a rush during an appointment. He doesn't mind questions and will answer them thoroughly. He is kind yet direct. He told us upfront when he was concerned about one of our babies not developing properly. He prepared us, gently, for the possibility of losing one of the twins. He was caring and tried to help us stay positive. If we were to do IVF again, I would use Dr. Larson and his clinic without question.
I saw multiple nurses [at Advanced Fertility Care of AZ] and they were all friendly. The ivf coordinator and embryologist were both fantastic.... Monitoring appointments were always specifically scheduled - I had a specific time, I went in, and was out within 15 minutes .... The strengths are there are three locations and three doctors you can see - it doesn't have to be your primary doctor. The weakness is that not all of the locations are always open. All of the offices are really nice and comfortable.
I would tell you that he is very weary of transferring two embryos and will heavily advise you against it. He will thoroughly explain all of the risks involved, although in the end, it will be up to you. He respects your decision in the end.
Dr. Larson was wonderful in explaining the process to us all through our IVF cycle. Although he could have been more 'human' when one of our transferred embryos doesn't make it, he was still there to explain it to us. It was a huge improvement from our first RE, who was extremely cold and didn't stay in the room long enough to explain anything.
Dr. Larson recommended one or two more IUI's before moving onto IVF - he believed we hadn't exhausted that option yet. We tried one more on Femara but it was unsuccessful. We decided to move into ivf and he supported our decision. He had me on birth control for two weeks and then stop to get my cycle on their calendar. Then I took birth control for another 3 weeks I believe while also starting Lupron during the last week of bc. I took Lupron for 10 days and then started Stims, adding 150 Menopur and 225 Gonal-f to the Lupron. The Lupron decreased during Stims. After 8 days of Stims, I increased my Gonal-f to I think 300. All of my meds were combined into one injection. After 10 days of Stims, we triggered with Novarel. During my last ultrasound they saw 8 follicles, but 9 eggs were retrieved, 8 were mature and 7 fertilized with ICSI. Of those 7, 2 made it to day 5 and both were transferred since we had none left to freeze. I wanted the best chance at getting pregnant so we decided to transfer both. Both embryos implanted, but we lost one baby around 10 weeks. It was not progressing or growing as fast as baby A.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
I saw multiple nurses and they were all friendly. The ivf coordinator and embryologist were both fantastic.
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
The IUI total cost was around $1000 I believe, and the ivf was $10,000 plus $1,500 for icsi.
Dr. Larson strongly suggests the transfer of one embryo, not two. In my case, because we had none left to freeze and this was our only chance, he agreed to transfer both.
Phoenix

2015 - 2018, Unsuccessful
I saw Dr Larsen almost every visit never just a nurse. After every failed attempt he would take the time to personally call and discuss the next step and options. He is very knowledgeable and stays up to date on the latest treatments and research... If you have an hashimotos that is a factor with infertility he may not be your best choice. He doesn’t believe your auto immune condition has any impact on your fertility if your tsh is ok.
Cost was he biggest factor, we are 100% cash pay and they [Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona] are pricier than a lot of places...They have a great billing staff they will do all they can to get authorizations and things covered for you...They are all very kind and never leave you with questions unanswered. If it’s aomething they can’t answer they will follow up with you after talking with the doctor...One egg retrieval including icsi and anesthesia was over $12,000 not including meds or genetic testing.
The front office staff greets you by name and even remember where I work and what I do. It has been a rough 4 years but the staff and doctors are always so caring and never make you feel like you are just a customer. Many have similar experiences and understand the heartache involved and can relate on a whole different level.
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
Cost was he biggest factor, we are 100% cash pay and they are pricier than a lot of places. I honestly believe you get what you pay for in this type of situation so we have stuck with the clinic. They have a great billing staff they will do all they can to get authorizations and things covered for you.
Scottsdale

Dr. Larsen seemed knowledgeable. I have DOR, and I wish there were discussions about needing multiple rounds and freezing embryos. Doing more than one egg retrieval was never mentioned. They [Advanced Fertility Care of AZ] only offer package plans for people who are likely to be successful and no packages for less desirable patients.
Dr. Larsen seemed knowledgeable. I have DOR, and I wish there were discussions about needing multiple rounds and freezing embryos. Doing more than one egg retrieval was never mentioned. They only offer package plans for people who are likely to be successful and no packages for less desirable patients.
If you have money to spare and will probably need only one Ivf cycle, he is a.great option for you.
He was thoughtful, remembered me and my situation, and personally returned calls and emails.
$12800 IVF cycle $1000-1200 IUI
Scottsdale
He [Dr. Larsen] had good bedside manner and made me feel comfortable with each ultrasound. After multiple failed iui's both my husband and I needed to go to the next step ivf. His clinic did not have any financial ways to help finance or pay for treatments. When we left to go elsewhere, we never got a call from him asking us what next steps we would like to to take. I just wanted to feel valued from him. You get attached to your fertility doctors because you feel like you are on the dame team trying to get the main goal. When you feel like your just a number its hard to establish roots in a practice.
The nurses [at Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona] were kind it was just hard to get their scheduling staff to schedule appointments for me. They were not flexible on times and knew that I worked at 7- 4 pm job. Making appointments was so stressful...There were no financing or monthly payments that could be made. We had to look elsewhere and we found a clinic that was reasonable...there are two locations which make it nice for patients to travel through AZ. The facility is nicely decorated and is very professional. The weakness is making appointments is a challenge for working professionals. If you do not have a job and you are flexible with times than this clinic may be right for you.
Dr. Larsen was a great communicator. He had good bedside manner and made me feel comfortable with each ultrasound. After multiple failed iui's both my husband and I needed to go to the next step ivf. His clinic did not have any financial ways to help finance or pay for treatments. When we left to go elsewhere, we never got a call from him asking us what next steps we would like to to take. I just wanted to feel valued from him. You get attached to your fertility doctors because you feel like you are on the dame team trying to get the main goal. When you feel like your just a number its hard to establish roots in a practice.
If you have money and time he was a good doctor. I can't say anything negative about his bedside manner. His practice is pricy, but if you can afford 25,000 for ivy treatment out of pocket it may be a good place for you.
Dr. Larson has good bedside manners and was friendly with my husband and I. The IUI's were just not working for my husband and I. However, after the final failed treatment he never called us and asked us how we were doing. I wish he would have taken more concern with us and wanted to keep us as patients. We ended up going to another dr. to start ivy treatments at a more reasonable price this his clinic. I wish Dr. Larsen would have reached out since both my husband and I did like his bed side manner.
The nurses were kind it was just hard to get their scheduling staff to schedule appointments for me. They were not flexible on times and knew that I worked at 7- 4 pm job. Making appointments was so stressful.
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Care of Arizona.
The strengths is there are two locations which make it nice for patients to travel through AZ. The facility is nicely decorated and is very professional. The weakness is making appointments is a challenge for working professionals. If you do not have a job and you are flexible with times than this clinic may be right for you.
The iii's range to be $800 he gave us a little discount since my husband and I were in school. The medicine on top of that was another $250. It was expensive for one IUI cycle. We couldn't keep doing iui's only to come up with negative after negative each month. We wanted to do ivy but could not afford it at his clinic. There were no financing or monthly payments that could be made. We had to look elsewhere and we found a clinic that was reasonable for a gentle ivy cycle. We are now in the process of ivf and look forward to the results to come with our new clinic and dr.
single embryo transfer always preferred. He will scare you out of having twins so fast due to increased risk of complications.