Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish)

Nurse available by direct lineAvailable by cell phone
Medical SchoolPenn St
Manhasset, NY 11030
285 Middle Country Road
Smithtown, NY 11787
(631) 650 2229
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Gabe San Roman to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish) to a friend?
dr san roman is very warm and has a great bedside manner. He definitely has a bit of an ego and likes to recite his accolades almost every time my husband comes with me to our visits. he is incredibly sweet and seems to be very knowledgeable, however his office is a bit disorganized...if things aren't going smoothly in your cycle, it is difficult to get in touch with him in the early stages...there is still a lack of continuity in the care that is received and the attention that is paid to the cycles
How was your experience with Gabe San Roman at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
in my experience, dr san roman is very warm and has a great bedside manner. He definitely has a bit of an ego and likes to recite his accolades almost every time my husband comes with me to our visits. he is incredibly sweet and seems to be very knowledgeable, however his office is a bit disorganized
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Gabe San Roman at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
be wary of the nurse practitioner's running the show...if things aren't going smoothly in your cycle, it is difficult to get in touch with him in the early stages...after going through a total of 2 ivf cycles and 4 failed transfers with pgs tested embryos, there is still a lack of continuity in the care that is received and the attention that is paid to the cycles
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Gabe San Roman at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
I was definitely treated like a human...everyone in the office is very friendly and ends up getting to know you, especially after 2 cycles
Describe the protocols Gabe San Roman used in your cycles at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish) and their degree of success.
my first stim cycle, I was placed on 1 vial of menopur and 150 of follistum, but ended up doubling that dose 3 days in...stimmed for 14 days and got 8 eggs, 7 mature. My second stim cycle, I was placed on 2 menopur and 450 follistum and stimmed for 7 days and ended up with 7 eggs. I was told when I went for a second opinion that my second cycle was an incredibly high dose especially for someone with a high ovarian reserve. We also ran into a few bumps in the road with our transfers. Our second frozen transfer was rushed, ended up with a beta of 18, but my lining wasn't responding as well as it had in the past...that ended up being a chemical. The second ivf cycle with a fresh transfer, I was told to be on progesterone 2 times a day before the transfer by the nurse, then the dr said once a day...but discontinued everything due to high progesterone levels, in which my level went from over 100 to 50 then to 2...which was never going to sustain anything....
the nurse practitioners are empathetic but they are highly unorganized and tend to run the office when they shouldn't ...i've had experiences where you ask them questions that they can't answer, and sometimes make stuff up. I have also had instances where they aren't looking at your numbers as trends but instead just one value and making decisions that are incorrect based on that...during one of my transfers, I was told to stop taking progesterone...my levels went from over 100 to 50 to 2 in the course of 4 days...no one thought to look at the trend, instead she just saw the 50 and still advised me to stay off the med. They never review your chart before they speak to you...they never seem to know what meds you are on when they meet with you...they seem really disorganized
Describe your experience with Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish).
the clinic is very friendly and warm. The place is very clean and flows nicely, rarely have to wait a long time....everyone always says hi the issue is that the dr or the nurses never seem to remember your story...even if they were to take 2 min before they see you to review your chart, it would be helpful, this doesn't ever seem to be the case
Describe the costs associated with your care under Gabe San Roman at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish).
each stim cycle was around 15,000 an additional 4,000 for pgs testing and then an additional 350/embryo at the lab...also 500 for anesthesia for retrieval stim meds were not included in the 15,000
Describe Gabe San Roman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish).
he's preference is to transfer 1 embryo if they are pgs tested
What specific things went wrong at Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
This man [Dr. Gabe San Roman] showed me and my husband such compassion. I can’t say enough about how wonderful of a doctor and as a human being that he is. We adore him...He truly cared about you and the obstacles you have been trying to overcome. On the day of my egg retrieval, I had a moment of self-pity and started to cry during this woe-is-me moment (while I was on the OR table). He just stood there and held my hand. He distracted me until the anesthesia kicked in. I will never forget that kindness.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
How was your experience with Gabe San Roman at North Shore Fertility?
This man showed such compassion for me and my husband. It was more than you just being a patient. He truly cared about you and the obstacles you have been trying to overcome. On the day of my egg retrieval, I had a moment of self-pity and started to cry during this woe-is-me moment (while I was on the OR table). He just stood there and held my hand. He distracted me until the anesthesia kicked in. I will never forget that kindness. With my previous doctor, I had to terminate my pregnancy at 22 weeks due to severe fetal anamolies. I switched to Dr. San Ramon after some more failed attempts with my original doctor. Gabe was so sympathetic to how hard that was to us.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Gabe San Roman at North Shore Fertility?
Trust this man. He will help you and make you grateful that you picked him to help you during this emotional journey. You will never look back or second guess having him as your doctor. I will be forever grateful to have been in his care.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Gabe San Roman at North Shore Fertility?
This man showed me and my husband such compassion. I can’t say enough about how wonderful of a doctor and as a human being that he is. We adore him.
These ladies felt like family. I felt that I always had access to them for any questions. They were amazing.
Describe your experience with North Shore Fertility.
They were a well-oiled machine. Everything flowed smoothly in their office. Wait times weren’t crazy like i was used to with my previous infertility doctor. They were on top of everything. If I ever had questions, I would get a call back right away. And after every single monitoring appointment, I would meet either directly with Dr. San Ramon or his NP, Dawn.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at North Shore Fertility.
Very organized with tolerable wait times.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Gabe San Roman at North Shore Fertility.
Fresh embryo transfer was in the $10,000 range. Frozen was around $3,000. IUIs were covered by insurance but medications were not.
Describe Gabe San Roman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at North Shore Fertility.
He preferred to do a single transfer. In his eyes, a two embryo transfer didn’t increase your overall odds of pregnancy by much. He felt that I had already experienced losing a baby at 22 weeks and didn’t want to put me in that position again, since a twins pregnancy was very risky. I more than agreed and trusted his expertise.
North Shore Fertility
Skokie
I felt like he [Dr. Gabe San Roman] was really knowledgeable, deals with my specific case, is sensitive and informative, and has good bedside manor. He is trustworthy and listens to what I’m saying and remembers who I am which is really important for me in such a difficult process.... During my appointments with Dr San Roman I asked a lot of questions and he always took the time to thoroughly answer them. I also really like getting to always see the same dr and not a rotation of different drs all the time at the clinic.
I felt like he was really knowledgeable, deals with my specific case, is sensitive and informative, and has good bedside manor. He is trustworthy and listens to what I’m saying and remembers who I am which is really important for me in such a difficult process.
Make sure you book your consultation 3 months in advance because there is a waitlist lol!
I have definitely felt like a human and not a number. Paying out of pocket the office staff always tried to do everything they could to help me. During my appointments with Dr San Roman I asked a lot of questions and he always took the time to thoroughly answer them. I also really like getting to always see the same dr and not a rotation of different drs all the time at the clinic. I feel like they take the time out to get to know me and make me feel like they care about my fertility and not just my money like some other fertility clinics have made me feel!
Clomid 100mg 1 round- bad reaction to clomid. Switched to Femera with Ovidrel trigger.
Amazing! So nice!
Gabe San Roman
Dr. San Roman never makes you feel like just a statistic, he is always patient, kind and listens to your concerns. He tells you exactly what the course of treatment will be and what the chances are of success...
CLEANLINESS. This office is clean ALL THE TIME. The staff is compassionate and friendly and the appointment times are always in line with what fits your schedule.