Good

New York Methodist

doctor available by email
Galina Karpenko works at

133 East 58th Street

We agreed together to transfer single embryos, although she [Dr. Galina Karpenko] was very willing to do two at once...was very kind and warm, she really cared about my treatment... often felt rushed through the process, without having enough information about what I had to do next and when. She also didn't take as much time to explain the reasoning behind her treatment decisions, but to be fair this was my first round and I feel it was somewhat diagnostic.
All of the nursing staff [at New York Reproductive] were great, but I did not have a nurse coordinator at this practice, and now that I have one I can see how helpful it's been...The clinic did not tell me the procedure for ordering meds from my pharmacy, so we had to rush ship them. They also did not always hand out paperwork instructions at the time of my visit, and instead would call later. Nothing devastating, but small inconveniences that would add up.
How was your experience with Galina Karpenko at New York Reproductive?
Dr. Karpenko was lovely, but I often felt rushed through the process, without having enough information about what I had to do next and when. She also didn't take as much time to explain the reasoning behind her treatment decisions, but to be fair this was my first round and I feel it was somewhat diagnostic.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Galina Karpenko at New York Reproductive?
Write everything down and ask lots of questions, because the doctor may not lay everything out for you ahead of time.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Galina Karpenko at New York Reproductive?
Dr. Karpenko was very kind and warm, she really cared about my treatment.
Describe the protocols Galina Karpenko used in your cycles at New York Reproductive and their degree of success.
I started with a low dose of Femara, which created regular cycles, but no natural pregnancy. Then we did one IUI before doing IVF. I had a very low dose of Gonal-F, because I was producing a lot of follicles, but when we did the egg retrieval we got many fewer than expected. I moved across the country after this cycle, so I can't say how she may have adjusted treatment for the next round.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New York Reproductive.
All of the nursing staff were great, but I did not have a nurse coordinator at this practice, and now that I have one I can see how helpful it's been.
Describe your experience with New York Reproductive.
This clinic uses Rockefeller Labs for their procedures, and while the staff there was great, it made for occasional confusion about where to go for which tests/procedures. NY Reproductive is also a small clinic. It was very easy to get in and see the doctor or the nurse practitioner and you feel like a real person, but now having been at a larger practice I see the appeal of having more in house infrastructure.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Galina Karpenko at New York Reproductive.
This was covered by insurance, so I had a $50 co-pay that I paid at each visit, plus embryo storage fees.
Describe Galina Karpenko's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at New York Reproductive.
We agreed together to transfer single embryos, although she was very willing to do two at once.
What specific things went wrong at New York Reproductive?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New York Reproductive.

2014 - 2016, Unsuccessful
It was hard to get details from her [Dr. Galina Karpenko] about steps in the process. Then she made a major mistake with prescribing the correct amounts of medication to be covered by insurance that has cost me a lot. She also did not prescribe medication to sync my egg production and the IVF procedures I did with her were a big waste--got 7x as many with a different course of treatment, after she said nothing else could be done differently.
The office [NY Reproductive] was only open after 9:30 or 10 so I was missing a lot of work to get to morning appointments. They did usually take later appointments, though.... With one notable exception, the nursing staff in Karpenko's office was great.... The facility is very nice and well kept. I liked almost all the people in the office but I couldn't believe Karpenko's ineptitude.
How was your experience with Galina Karpenko at New York Reproductive?
It was hard to get details from her about steps in the process. Then she made a major mistake with prescribing the correct amounts of medication to be covered by insurance that has cost me a lot. She also did not prescribe medication to sync my egg production and the IVF procedures I did with her were a big waste--got 7x as many with a different course of treatment, after she said nothing else could be done differently.
She was fine for unmedicated IUI with no concerns. I wouldn't go back for other procedures. Do your homework on your own and ask informed questions, don't expect her to give you the information.
The staff at her office was pretty great. She was not as forthcoming with information as I needed her to be since I didn't even know the questions to ask.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New York Reproductive.
With one notable exception, the nursing staff in Karpenko's office was great.
Describe your experience with New York Reproductive.
Very small practice. I did not consult with other doctors at the practice but a friend did not have a good experience with one, so I was on alert to only see Karpenko. The facility is very nice and well kept. I liked almost all the people in the office but I couldn't believe Karpenko's ineptitude.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at New York Reproductive.
The office was only open after 9:30 or 10 so I was missing a lot of work to get to morning appointments. They did usually take later appointments, though.
The costs for IUI were negligible with my insurance, but costs for one round of IVF were about $4k after insurance. Plus there was the debacle with the prescriptions.
What specific things went wrong at New York Reproductive?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New York Reproductive.
I was not prescribed the medication to sync follicle development and consequently only produced a few eggs in the two IVF cycles in did there. At another facility and under a different treatment plan, I produced 17 in one cycle. So those previous cycles were wasted. Also, my insurance plan only covered three cycles; so when Karpenko didn't prescribe enough Gonal and had to call in a refill, I learned the hard way that the coverage limit extended to prescriptions as well. I wasted one of three total fills on a single Gonal pen, and had to cover all the drugs for my third IVF round out of pocket because of her lack of knowledge. I found out later that it is common practice for other doctors to over-prescribe for this very reason.